1. Death and Destruction: Tornadoes kill at least 20 across South, Midwest - AP
Officials in Alabama say eight dead after tornado slams into school; twisters kill at least nine people in Georgia.
• Father we pray for peace and comfort to those devastated by the storms. We pray, too, for those who died in the bus accident in Atlanta this morning. • "Grace be to you and peace from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God."(II Cor. 1:1-4)
2. GOP regroups to foil war plans of Democrats - Washington Times
Republicans in Congress -- including most who have defected from President Bush's plan to send reinforcements to Iraq -- have closed ranks and are prepared to thwart the Democrats' continued efforts to undermine the war strategy.
• We pray for unity in our country over the Iraq War on terror. Lord, please protect the freedom to accomplish the full mission in Iraq. We ask for victory over those who desire to undermine the war • "For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world; and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith." (I John 5:4)
3. Democrats Give Unions A Leg-Up in the Workplace - CNSNews.com
Labor Secretary Elaine Chao called it a "sad day for our country" after the House of Representatives "votes to deprive workers of their basic right" to vote privately on whether they want to join a union or not. But labor unions love the bill that the House passed on Thursday.
• Lord, we ask for strength and courage for workers to choose the right path. We pray that ungodly power and control would be broken by those with strength from waiting on You. • "Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait I say on the Lord." (Ps. 27:14)
4. Army Fires General In Charge of Walter Reed - CNSNews.com
The U.S. Army Thursday fired the general in charge of the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Maj. Gen. George Weightman, following reports of appalling conditions and inadequate treatment of wounded soldiers.
• Thank You, Lord, for bringing the corrected changes in the healing of our wounded soldiers. Your mercy endures forever. • "O Give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever. Who remembered us in our low estate: for his mercy endureth for ever." (Ps. 136:1,23)
5. Army Boss Quits Amid Scandal at Walter Reed - AP
The scandal over conditions at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center claimed its second victim Friday when Secretary of the Army Francis Harvey handed in his resignation to his boss, Defense Secretary Robert Gates. "The problems at Walter Reed appear to be problems of leadership," Gates told reporters at the Pentagon during an unscheduled appearance. Gates' announcement came on the same day that President Bush ordered a comprehensive review Friday of conditions at the nation's military and veteran hospitals. The White House said the president would name a bipartisan commission to assess whether problems at Walter Reed exist at other facilities.
• Continue to offer praise that, painful as these facts are, the hidden things (abuses) at Walter Reed have now been revealed and will be corrected. Pray for President Bush as he assembles a bipartisan commission to investigate whether similar problems exist at other facilities. • "And when He is come, He will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment." (John 16:8)
6. Donor withholds $12 million over chapel cross dispute - Washington Times
.. CENTER OF CONTROVERSY Gene Nichol, president of the College of Wiiliam & Mary, ignited a controversy in October when he ordered this cross removed from a table used as an altar in Wren Chapel. Nichol said he wanted to make the chapel more inviting to people of all faiths.
A longtime donor to the College of William & Mary will withhold a $12 million pledge to the public university because of the removal of a cross from a campus chapel.
• Lord, use this to cause students to seek truth. Cause a stir in the spirit realm to embrace the truth of the cross. We pray for revival on that campus. • "Mark those that are enemies of the cross. Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an example. For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:" (Phil. 3:17-18)