Today's Daily Brief
1. Man with Rare Strain of TB Quarantined - AP
A man with a rare and dangerous form of tuberculosis ignored doctors' advice and took two trans-Atlantic flights, leading to the first U.S. government-ordered quarantine since 1963, health officials said. The unidentified man, is at Atlanta's Grady Memorial Hospital in respiratory isolation. Since he was potentially infectious at the time of the flights, officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), recommended medical exams for cabin crew members on those flights, as well as passengers sitting in the same rows or within two rows. CDC officials did not release row numbers but said the airlines were working with health officials to contact those passengers. Passengers who should be tested will be contacted by health officials from their home countries.
The infected man flew from Atlanta to Paris on May 12 aboard Air France Flight 385. He returned to North America on May 24 aboard Czech Air Flight 0104 from Prague to Montreal. The man then drove into the United States at the Champlain, New York, border crossing. The man told health officials he was not coughing during the flights. Tests indicated the amount of TB bacteria in him was low, so passengers are not considered to be at high risk of infection, said Dr. Martin Cetron, director of the CDC's division of global migration and quarantine.
· In the last days we know that many plagues, trials and tribulations will come our way. Oh Lord, out of pride this person did not care to keep others from being infected. May this lost one be saved before he dies and may we be saved from ourselves and from a worldwide outbreak of this disease for Your glory! Unfortunately, even the great kings of Judah did not seek Your Face to heal them! · "And in the thirty- ninth year of his reign, Asa became diseased in his feet, and his malady was severe; yet in his disease he did not seek the Lord, but the physicians. So Asa rested with his fathers; he died in the forty-first year of his reign." (2 Chronicles 16: 12-13 NKJV)
2. White House Is Said To Debate '08 Cut In Iraq Combat Forces By 50 % - International Herald Tribune
The Bush administration is developing what officials call "concepts" for reducing American combat forces in Iraq significantly next year, the first indication that the growing political pressure on the White House is forcing it to turn its attention to what happens after the current troop "surge" runs its course, according to senior officials in the midst of the internal debate.
· Whatever the White House decides about its future course in Iraq, the Lord's wisdom must prevail. Only He knows what is the best course to accomplish His purposes. Ask the Holy Spirit to invade the minds of the senior officials in this debate. Ask the Lord to relieve some of the presssure on President Bush so that he can think clearly and act with moral strength. · "And my speech . . . was not with enticing words of man's wisdom. but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God." (1 Corinthians 2:4,5)
3. Pelosi: Climate Change Is a Reality - My Way News Service
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Monday in Berlin, she led a congressional delegation to Greenland, where lawmakers saw "firsthand evidence that climate change is a reality," and she hoped the Bush administration would consider a new path on the issue. Pelosi said in February she would be introducing Global Warming, Energy Independence legislation by July 4.
The California Democrat pointed to her delegation's weekend stop in Greenland, "where we saw firsthand evidence that climate change is a reality; there is just no denying it." "It wasn't caused by the people of Greenland - it was caused by the behavior of the rest of the world," she said. Scientists have noticed that Greenland's output of ice into the North Atlantic had increased dramatically, doubling over the decade that ended in 2005
Her trip comes ahead of next week's Group of Eight summit and a climate change meeting next month involving the leading industrialized nations and during a time of increased debate over what should succeed the Kyoto Protocol, a 1997 international treaty that caps the amount of carbon dioxide that can be emitted from power plants and factories in industrialized countries. It expires in 2012. President Bush rejected that accord, saying it would harm the U.S. economy and unfair excludes developing countries like China and India from its obligations. Pelosi, who strongly disagrees with that decision and many other of Bush's environmental policies, said Friday she said she wants to work with the administration rather than provoke it.
· When willl arrogance end? Please rebuke our elected officials who overstep the Office of the President for their own political gains and may You help us to pray for them. May the lie of Global Warming end! For Your glory, Amen. · "Deceit if in the heart of those who devise evil, but counselors of peace have joy." (Proverbs 12: 20 NKJV)
4. Cheney Visitor Logs Not Recorded - Associated Press
Watchdog Group Seeking Identities Of Conservative Religious Leaders Visiting Official Residence
A lawyer for Vice President Dick Cheney told the Secret Service in September, 2006, to eliminate data on who visited Cheney at his official residence a newly disclosed letter states. The letter from Cheney's lawyer says logs for Cheney's residence on the grounds of the Naval Observatory are subject to the Presidential Records Act. The vice president's lawyer wrote the letter as The Washington Post sought copies of Cheney's visitors at his residence. The Post requested the records under the Freedom of Information Act. The newspaper subsequently dropped a lawsuit seeking the information.
The Justice Department filed the letter Friday in a lawsuit by a private group, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, seeking the identities of conservative religious leaders who visited Cheney at his official residence. "The latest filings make clear that the administration has been destroying documents and entering into secret agreements in violation of the law," said Anne Weismann, CREW's chief counsel.
The letter regarding the vice president's residence was in addition to an agreement quietly signed between the White House and the Secret Service a year ago when questions were raised about visits to the executive compound by convicted influence peddler Jack Abramoff. That agreement, which didn't surface publicly until late last year, said White House entry and exit logs were presidential records not subject to disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act.
· Only more woes for the Cheney vice presidential office and team. Last week's birth of a baby boy, via artificial insemination, to the Cheney's daughter Mary and her partner, Heather, may have created more problems than we know for the vice president and the White House. May this family's and the current administration's blinders to the Lord and His Plan be removed! · Unfortunately, God promises that there is a terrible consequence for those who continue in homosexuality. "If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them." (Leviticus 20: 13 NKJV)
5. Russia Tests New Missile Aimed At Defeating U.S. Defense Shield - AP; All Headline News
In response to a U.S. missile defense shield that Moscow has continuously called a threat, the Russian military says it has tested a new intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) which will defeat any American plans to intercept it. According to the Russian Strategic Missile Forces, the mobile launch of their RS- 24 missile 3,400 miles to the Kamchatka Peninsula; proves it is capable of delivering multiple independent warheads. Russian officials also said that the RS- 24 "strengthens the capability of the attack groups of the Strategic Missile Forces by surmounting anti- missile defense systems, at the same time strengthening the potential for nuclear deterrence."
U.S. National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe explains, the "United States has made clear to the Russians that this missile shield is directed at other nations that could conceivably affect the peace of Europe. We will continue to make sure that Russia fully understands our intentions." The White House says the proposed missile defense shield will only protect the U.S. and its NATO allies from attacks by rogue nations like Iran or North Korea, and maintains that the aggressive missile test from Moscow is unwarranted.
· Dearest Lord, Jesus, we earnestly pray that the demonic arrogance created by oil prosperity in Russia will be destroyed and that You will be glorified in their country, America and throughout Your world! May man- made conflicts of war end! · "To everything there is a season, a time for every propose under heaven; and a time to be born and a time to die; a time to kill and a time to heal; a time to break down and a time to build up; a time to love and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace." (Ecclesiastes 3: 1.2a, 3 and 8 NKJV)