CHPP Daily Brief - Wednesday, November 30, 2011
• The Middle East in Focus
• The Daily Jot
• Keeping Watch on Syria
• The Good News Corner
• Worship with Us Today!
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"Partners in Prayer for Our Nation"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
"I will be their God, and they will be My people." (Ezekiel 37:27)
The Daily Brief
1. Iceland votes to recognize Palestine - YnetNews
Iceland 'first Western European country to take this step,' FM boasts;
Abbas reaffirms statehood bid. The Icelandic parliament decided by 38 votes in the 63-seat house to back a resolution allowing for the recognition of a Palestinian state within the borders of the Six-Day War of 1967.
- Lord we are grieved at this horrible news, and grieved at Iceland's history of anti-Semitism. We pray for divine intervention in the life of Iceland's radical minister of foreign affairs, Ossurr Skarphedinsson as he represents a country that has caused huge financial damage abroad, and now believes it should tell sovereign Israel how to run its affairs. Ash clouds rose from the eruption of the Eyjafjallajökull volcano only last year causing major disturbances in European air traffic - Awaken this island nation to the danger they are in, spiritually and physically! Awaken Iceland to what You are saying to them Lord, may they have ears to hear and hearts to respond to You!
- " Deliver those who are drawn toward death, and hold back those stumbling to the slaughter. If they say, "surely we did not know this," does not He who weighs the hearts consider it? He who keeps your soul , does He not know it? And will He not render to each man (nation) according to his deeds." (Proverbs 12:11,12)
2. Senate defies Obama veto threat in terrorist custody vote - Washington Times
Defying a veto threat by President Obama, the Senate voted Tuesday to give the U.S. military first crack at holding al Qaeda operatives, even if they are captured in the U.S. and are American citizens, and also reaffirmed the policy of indefinite detention. Sixteen Democrats and one independent who caucuses with them defied the veto threat and joined 44 Republicans.
- Dear Lord, bless these steps taken by the Senate to insure that enemy soldiers are in the charge of our military, not in civilian courts, or used as pawns of an administration. Bring effective pressure upon President Obama, causing him not to fulfill his veto threat. May Your wisdom and unity prevail in our leaders as they deal with very real enemies bent on the destruction of America.
We pray, too, that the definition of an "al Qaeda operative" would be based on the truth, and that innocent American civilians end up being caught in this potential legal trap. Please place Your Blood around this law, that it be used only for the protection of our people. Amen.
- " For by wise counsel you will wage your own war..." (Proverbs 24:6)
For an indepth look at the controversy surrounding the passage of this bill, and clarification of its true intent, please see the Daily Jot, below.
3. Ten Commandments dispute in Va. headed to federal court - Washington Times
A long-simmering battle in Virginia over the separation of church and state heads to federal court Monday, with a southwestern county school board fighting for the right to display the Ten Commandments in a public high school. The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia, in Roanoke, will hear arguments in the Giles County School Board's motion to dismiss a complaint brought by an (anonymous) high school student and the student's parent arguing that the biblical display violates the plaintiffs' First Amendment rights under the Constitution.The Ten Commandments has been displayed in all county schools for at least a decade before a complaint in December led to their removal and being replaced with a copy of the Declaration of Independence.
- O God arise, let our enemies be scattered!! Bring victory and blessing to the efforts of the Giles County school board as they seek to simply display the Ten Commandments - the very foundation of our nation's laws. Do not allow the court to prohibit freedom of speech simply because this document is found in the Bible. Lord, stop the efforts of a few from trampling the rights of the law abiding majority! Thank You for rallying of multitudes of students in this county in defense of displaying the Ten Commandments!
-"You will chase your enemies, and they will fall..." (Leviticus 26:8)
4. Image shows Iranian missile site was destroyed - Washington Post
Two weeks after a mysterious explosion at an Iranian missile base, a Washington-based research group has released a satellite image showing extensive damage to the site. The image of the compound, near the city of Malard, doesn't provide any clues as to what caused the Nov. 12 explosion, which Iranian authorities described as an "accident" involving the transport of ammunition. But it does make clear that the facility has been effectively destroyed . . . the blast had occurred just as Iran had achieved a milestone in the development of a new missile.
- Glory to God who has again intervened to destroy those who purpose to destroy His beloved children, and the land of Israel! Praise His holy Name!!
- "For by strength shall no man prevail. The adversaries of the Lord shall be broken in pieces; from heaven He will thunder against them." (1 Samuel 2:10)
5. Researcher's Video Shows Secret Software on Millions of Phones Logging Everything - Wired.com
Though the software is installed on most modern Android, BlackBerry and Nokia phones, Carrier IQ was virtually unknown until 25-year-old Trevor Eckhart of Connecticut analyzed its workings, revealing that the software secretly chronicles a user's phone experience - ostensibly so carriers and phone manufacturers can do quality control. But now he's released a video actually showing the logging of text messages, encrypted web searches and, well, you name it. "Every button you press in the dialer before you call," he says on the video, "it already gets sent off to the IQ application."
- Lord, it seems personal privacy is no longer an option if we are to keep up with technology, or even use its basics. Our cars, our phone use, our license plates are all recorded and kept by. . . . ?? Father, watch over Your children as this world gears up for the anti-Christ and the number that will be required by all in order to buy and sell. As we see so many things "come to pass" Lord, we will "Look up! for our redemption draws near!" Hallelujah!
-" When you see these things happening, know that it is near-- at the doors!" (Mark 13:29)
6. Hard Times Generation: Families Living in Cars - CBS News
More than 16 million children are now living in poverty and, for many of them, a proper home is elusive. Some cash-strapped families stay with relatives; others move into motels or homeless shelters. But, as Scott Pelley reports, sometimes those options run out, leaving an even more desperate choice: living in their cars. The number of kids in poverty in America is pushing toward 25 percent. Beth Davalos: The longevity of homelessness continues to rise, so people are running out of resources. The unemployment runs out. Their savings run out. The family that lent them money does not have it anymore 'cause they're looking at economic hardship. And before you know it they find themselves living in their car because they ran out of all options . . .They're very scared. And the reality is if the state found them in a car, they could-- their children could be taken away and put someplace safe for now.
- Lord, we pray for Your mighty provision for all these families who are suffering so greatly during this great unemployment time. Direct their steps to where they can find assistance. Keep them safe and for the rest of their lives, let them learn to be more and more dependent on You. Let them train their children to seek You first always.
- "But it shall come to pass, if you do not obey the voice of the Lord your God, to observe carefully all His commandments and His statutes which I command you today, that all these curses will come upon you and overtake you . . . " (Deuteronomy 28:15, 16)
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
""But now many nations are gathered against you. They say, "Let her be defiled, let our eyes gloat over Zion!" But they do not know the thoughts of the LORD; they do not understand his plan, that he has gathered them like sheaves to the threshing floor." (Micah 4:11,12)
1. Drill to simulate biological terror attack - Ynet News
The Defense and Health Ministries are preparing to hold a two-day drill starting Wednesday to test Israel's preparedness for an unconventional terror attack. The exercise, titled "Orange Flame 6," will examine the possibility of an outbreak of an infectious disease in northern cities.
2. Former Mossad chief: Israeli strike on Iran will lead to regional war - Ha'aretz
Former Mossad chief Meir Dagan said in a television interview on Tuesday that if Israel attacks Iran, it will be dragged into a regional war.
3. Netanyahu set to hand over $100 million in Palestinian tax money - Ha'aretz
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu appears ready to come down from his high horse: A month after the forum of eight senior ministers decided to freeze $100 million in tax revenues collected by Israel on behalf of the Palestinian Authority, the Israeli premier seems set to release the funds in coming days.
4. HIV rate rises sharply among gay men in Israel - Jerusalem Post
Among the 420 newly diagnosed cases of HIV in Israel in 2010, 148 of them were homosexual men, according to the Health Ministry, which is worried about the "dramatic increase" in infection among gay men. They constituted half of all men who were newly diagnosed.
The Daily Jot
The truth of the Defense Authorization Act
There is much being discussed on the internet regarding the Senate's 61-37 passage of the National Defense Authorization Act. The American Civil Liberties Union claims that the bill for the first time in US history allows the indefinite detention of American citizens by the US Military through defining the continental United States as part of the battleground in the war on terror. Citizens nationwide are flaming this news to every email list they have. The ACLU claims, like the bulk of the anti-American work conducted by this organization, are unfounded when one reads the straightforward language of the bill, only proving that the ACLU is consistent in its effort to treat terrorists with the same rights as citizens.
Section 1031 of the bill (the section ACLU is hollering "Fire" over) states: "Congress affirms that the authority of the President to use all necessary and appropriate force pursuant to the Authorization for Use of Military Force (Public Law 107-40) includes the authority for the Armed Forces of the United States to detain covered persons (as defined in subsection (b)) pending disposition under the law of war." In essence, the bill does extend the terror battlefield to the entirety of the United States. Common sense dictates, however, that the more undocumented aliens cross our borders, and the more Muslims we appease as part of our politically correct culture, the more America becomes a battlefield.
A covered person is: "(1) A person who planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored those responsible for those attacks. (2) A person who was a part of or substantially supported al-Qaeda, the Taliban, or associated forces that are engaged in hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners, including any person who has committed a belligerent act or has directly supported such hostilities in aid of such enemy forces." Section 1032 then states: "The requirement to detain a person in military custody under this section does not extend to citizens of the United States."
Then section 1032 reiterates: "The requirement to detain a person in military custody under this section does not extend to a lawful resident alien of the United States on the basis of conduct taking place within the United States, except to the extent permitted by the Constitution of the United States." It is unconstitutional to hold an American citizen without charges and a speedy trial, and this bill does not seem to violate that right. This Congress and White House have, however, violated the trust of the American public to the extent that every action is deserving of great scrutiny. Jesus told us in Matthew 24:4, "Take heed that no man deceive you." It is good to question the deceivers' actions, but do so armed with knowledge and wisdom.
National Defense Authorization Act http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c112:1:/temp/~c112BEyybS:e462417:
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
US citizens told to leave Syria "immediately"
US aircraft carrier stationed offshore
Major developments in Syria are making war in the Middle East even more likely and more imminent. The U.S. State Department has instructed all U.S. citizens to leave Syria "immediately." At the same time, the navy has decided to reposition the USS George H. W. Bush aircraft carrier and its support ships near the Syrian coastline. As I prepared to leave Israel last week, rumors were circulating that the U.S. and NATO forces were planning a military operation against the Assad government like the one that led to the overthrow and death of Col. Kaddafi in Libya.
It is highly likely that Iran would be drawn into the hostilities; it has recently strengthened its military ties with Syria and is believed to have several thousand soldiers stationed in that country. It is also very likely that an attack on Israel would be launched in retaliation for military strikes on Syria. Neither Syria nor Iran currently has the weaponry to strike at America's homeland, but they could quickly rain down death and destruction on the Jewish state. I have been telling you that war is coming soon-and it may be coming even sooner than expected.
. . . As I prayed about this, I was directed to the Book of Joel: "Proclaim this among the nations: Prepare for war! Wake up the mighty men, Let all the men of war draw near, Let them come up," (Joel 3:9). "Blow the trumpet in Zion, And sound an alarm in My holy mountain! Let all the inhabitants of the land tremble; For the day of the LORD is coming, For it is at hand." (Joel 2:1). "Blow the trumpet in Zion, Consecrate a fast, Call a sacred assembly; Gather the people, Sanctify the congregation, Assemble the elders, Gather the children and nursing babes; Let the bridegroom go out from his chamber, And the bride from her dressing room. Let the priests, who minister to the LORD, Weep between the porch and the altar." (Joel 2:15-17).
Dr. Michael Evans; Jerusalem Prayer Team
- Cry out and ask the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords to move in divine intervention, to stay the hand of Israel's enemy, and to move upon the hearts of the leaders of the nations to go to war only in His set and appointed time. Pray for the safety of all Jews and Arabs in the Middle East, and ask that the Lord would send the wind of His Holy Spirit across these desert lands, so that multitudes would come to know Him as their Savior, their Lord and their Messiah. Amen.
- "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens . . . a time for war and a time for peace." Eccl. 3:1,8)
The Good News Corner:
Universities Join Penn State in 40-Day Email Prayer Series
"As the events unfold at Penn State, we believe God is saying important things. The best hope for change is to agree with God by saying what He's saying. The lion has fallen, and we are in free fall. But if we heed God's Words, a New Lion will arise in Lion Country." -CS Heinz
Students and faculty from other universities have joined Penn State in a 40-day email prayer series, according to State College writer CS Heinz.
The email series called "40 Days of Prayer for PSU," will help people pray for the crisis at Penn State including the alleged victims, their families, and abuse survivors. It is available at www.PrayPSU.org.
The prayer series was created by CS Heinz and is supported by area churches. "I started getting consumed by the news reports and opinions. Then I realized I hadn't asked God what He thought about the situation," Heinz said. "So I did and that's where the idea of starting this prayer movement came from."
In addition to students and faculty at Penn State, the prayer series has attracted people from universities like Ohio State, University of Virginia, Clemson, and University of Oklahoma.
"Universities that Penn State normally competes with in sports and academia are signing up to pray for Penn State," Heinz said. "Our need for something and Someone greater than ourselves is uniting us in this dark hour. I think that's why many people are turning to prayer."
After signing up for the series, participants will receive a daily email with a devotional message, prayer point, and Bible verse. At the end of the 40 days, participants will have prayed 40 different things for the Penn State crisis.
"Many things need to change and that's why we're praying," Heinz said. Originally the series was 30 days long, but Heinz felt that 30 days wasn't enough. "In the Bible, 40 days often marked the beginning of a new season. That's what we need here, a new season."
Others agree. In addition to current faculty and students, members of the Penn State Alumni Association, one of the largest alumni groups in the world, have joined the series. Residents of State College, which is Penn State's hometown, have joined as well. And people who have been affected by sexual abuse are participating.
"Mark my words," Heinz said, "When we come together and pray, God will move."
Everyone is invited to sign up for the series at www.PrayPSU.org.
Worship with Us Today!
"Amazing Grace, My Chains Are Gone"
"My chains are gone, I've been set free. My God, my Savior, has ransomed me. And like a flood, His mercy reigns, unending love, amazing grace!"