In This Issue
• HEALTH CARE STALLED IN CONGRESS • HATE CRIMES UPDATE • URGENT - VOTE ON SOTOMAYOR IS TOMORROW • GUN CONTROL/STATES' RIGHTS• STIMULUS PACKAGE• EQUAL RIGHTS AMENDMENT• CHURCH AND STATE• This Week, Worship Our Lord As . . .Greetings!
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
Partners in Prayer for the Nation
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
On Capitol Hill This Week - Volume XVI, Number 24PART ONE "Repent, for the Kingdom of God is at hand." ( Matthew 3:2) HEALTH CARE STALLED IN CONGRESS• KEY SENATE DEMOCRAT CONCEDES REPUBLICAN SUPPORT NEEDED
July 27 - 31, 2009
• WHY OBAMACARE IS DEAD FOR NOW
• TWO HEALTHCARE REFORM BILLS MEAN MORE TAX-FUNDED ABORTIONS
• HEADLINES FOR THIS WEEK
1. KEY SENATE DEMOCRAT CONCEDES REPUBLICAN SUPPORT NEEDED FOR HEALTH OVERHAULSenate Democrats are going to need help from Republicans to get President Obama's ambitious plan to reinvent the health care system over the goal line, a top lawmaker acknowledged on Sunday. "Look, there are not the votes for Democrats to do this just on our side of the aisle," said Sen. Kent Conrad, the chairman of the powerful budget committee. Even though the Democrats enjoy a majority in the Senate, some are skittish about the financial or political costs of the proposals.And Republicans said they will continue their opposition to a plan they claim is simply a government takeover of private decisions. "Republicans want to protect the right of Americans to make their own health care decisions, to pick their own doctors and their own plans," said Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C. "We could have a plan in a few weeks if the goal is not a government takeover. We've never seen the government operate a plan of any kind effectively and at the budgets we talked about." (Fox News)• When people come to the USA from throughout the world for health care, something is basically right about our system. That improvement can be made is a given and should be pursued. However, government takeover always leads to dictatorship, a violation of our Constitution. Many Christians and Jews do contribute to the health of Americans and people of the world. Continue in prayer over this entire issue until Congress can arrive at a health care package that helps, rather than hurts, our people; and that they will take the time to get it right. • "He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which judges him - the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day." (John 12:48) 2. WHY OBAMA CARE IS DEAD FOR NOW The White House political machine is run by Rahm Israel Emanuel, who is Obama's Chief of Staff. His plan was to "flood" the Congress with Obama's full agenda all at once. He believed that hitting with the Stimulus, Cap and Trade, Health "reform," and gay issues all at once would overwhelm the Republicans and there would be instant victory. It didn't work. So much change so fast and without deliberation, scared the general public, particularly Independent voters, so much that the plan backfired. Now, virtually all of Obama's agenda is dead in the water. Although "Cap and Trade" passed the House, it is dead in the Senate. Meanwhile Senator Harry Reid has announced that he can't move forward with the "Health Reform."In the House, many of Obama's grand plans are stuck in committee with even Democrats afraid to vote for them because of the outcry from constituents back home. Meanwhile Obama is sinking in the polls. Rasmussen has his "strongly approve rating at 30% and his "strongly disapprove rating at 38%. (Religious Freedom Coalition)• Offer praise for this report, which is a direct answer to prayer that the timing of this bill would be according to God's will. Praise God that Congress WILL slow down and examine this behemoth package carefully and deliberately. • "There is an appointed time for everything, and there is a time for every event under heaven." (Eccl. 3:1) 3. TWO HEALTHCARE REFORM BILLS COULD MEAN MORE ABORTIONS AT TAXPAYERS' EXPENSE The two primary measures -- the Kennedy bill and the House Democratic leadership bill -- contain provisions that would represent the greatest expansion of abortion since the Supreme Court legalized it in 1973, according to Douglas Johnson of the National Right to Life Committee. "These two bills contain multiple provisions that would result in federally mandated insurance coverage of abortion on demand, result in massive federal subsidies for abortion, result even in mandated creation of many new abortion clinics across the country," he explains. Johnson adds the bills would nullify at least some state limitations on abortion. He concludes passage would result in an increase in abortions, but recalls the Obama administration promised to take steps to reduce them. (OneNewsNow.com 7/16/09) • Intercede that the Lord will raise up courageous advocates for the preservation of human life in the Obama administration and in Congress. Pray that all tax-funded mandating of abortion be thwarted in any and all Health Care legislation. Pray that members of Congress heed the shift occurring across the nation - that support for abortion is dropping.• "O God, restore us and cause Your face to shine upon us, and we will be saved." (Psalm 80:3)(Source: Intercessors for America) 4. HEADLINES FOR THIS WEEKThe following headlines from this past week are a brief summary of the issues surrounding Obama's Healthcare package as of today. For all needs cited below, please join us in decreeing:"Let God arise, and His enemies be scattered, and let those who hate Him flee before Him." (Psalm 68:1) A. THE BILL ITSELF1) Shock: Inside the Healthcare Bill - New York Times; Economic Policy JournalIt pays to take a look at what is actually in the healthcare bill. Peter Fleckstein is reading it and has been posting on Twitter his findings. [Editor's note: Mr. Fleckstein has analyzed numerous provisions of H.R. 3200 - the Health Care bill - and cited them by page number. You can check this out for yourself, by going here to read the entire bill, which is now 1,017 pages long!]
2) Fred Thompson Points to P. 425: End-of-Life Counseling for Seniors - American Family AssociationOn page 425 of Obama's health care bill, the Federal Government will require EVERYONE who is on Social Security to undergo a counseling session every 5 years with the objective being that they will explain to them just how to end their own life earlier. To listen to Senator Thompson's interview, go here. 3) Obama Health Care Mandates Abortion - Christian Coalition of AmericaThe Dean of the pro-life movement in the United States House of Representatives, Congressman Chris Smith (R-NJ), who learned at the feet of the previous dean - the late Henry Hyde (Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee during the presidency of Bill Clinton) - recently held a press conference warning all Americans about the dangerous Obama health care bill which mandates abortions, paid for with American tax dollars.B. THE STATUS OF H.R. 3200 ON THE HILL1) Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid Says: No health care vote before August break - CNN The announcement by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada goes against President Obama's stated timetable for the House and Senate to turn out bills by the August break. 2) House healthcare talks break down in anger - The HillHouse healthcare negotiations dissolved in acrimony on Friday, with Blue Dog Democrats saying they were "lied" to by their Democratic leaders. In advance of a subsequent press conference called by House leadership, Blue Dog liaison Rep. Dennis Cardoza (D-Calif.) said the healthcare bill should be staying in committee. "I expect the committee process to proceed," Cardoza said. 3) Democrats Block GOP Health Care Mailing - Roll CallDemocrats are preventing Republican House Members from sending their constituents a mailing that is critical of the majority's health care reform plan, blocking the mailing by alleging that it is inaccurate. 4) Most Americans Are Skeptical About Health Care Reform - CBN NewsPresident Barack Obama is using the full political weight of the White House to push for health care reform. But so far, that has not done the trick to get Washington lawmakers on board. Many Americans are also skeptical about the president's plan. [Also reported by: Christian Coalition of America] HATE CRIMES UPDATE TWO STRATEGIES STILL AVAILABLE TO BLOCK PASSAGE OF HATE CRIME ACT
When Sen. Leahy (D-VT) attached the pro-homosexual "Pedophile Protection Act" to the Defense Authorization Act, he imagined zero resistance from House Democrats, or from President Obama. He failed to realize, however, how the battle to fund the F-22 Raptor jet for our Air Force could shoot the homosexual agenda down in flames. We have one last chance to stop the "Hate Crimes" bill, by demanding the House Conferees stand firmly by their 389 to 22 vote to fully fund the F-22 fighters. If they do, President Obama has vowed to veto the entire bill, and kill the pro-homosexual "Hate Crimes" amendment with it. Furthermore, after our 1,055,000 petitions were read by some Senators, they voted 78-13 to pass Sen. Brownback's good amendment to the Hate Crimes bill, protecting freedom of speech by pastors, stating the federal hate crimes law shall not be "applied . . . in a manner that infringes" First Amendment rights or that "substantially burdens any exercise of religion . . . speech, expression, [or] association, if such exercise of religion, speech, expression, or association was not intended to . . .incite an imminent act of physical violence against another." Sen. Brownback provided additional protection for religious exercise and free speech beyond the minimum protection that a court may apply. Your faxes to the Senate helped win this victory! But Conferees have power to strip the Brownback Amendment, which we must protect. And Conferees have power to equip American pilots with F-22 fighter jets, which would guarantee Obama's veto of the entire "Pedophile Protection Amendment." So we must act, and now petition the House and Senate Armed Services Committees for two things:1) Keep the good Brownback Amendment, and don't allow it to be stripped in conference.2) Keep the good F-22's, and equip American pilots with the best fighter jets in the world.As an Air Force Academy graduate, I can say our military pilots deserves the best jets, which President Obama and some Senators sadly wish to stop funding, even while they load our Pentagon Budget with special rights for homosexuals, pedophiles, and deviants. --Chaplain Gordon James KlingenschmittPray in Jesus' Name Ministry • Just as America is now waking up to the dangers of Obama's Health Care plan, pray that an awakening would also arise in the hearts of those whose free speech rights would be endangered by the Hate Crimes language that has been embedded in this bill. The enemy of our souls can be devious, sly, and secretive, but our God knows it all. Ask Him to move upon the hearts of our people to TAKE ACTION to block this maneuver from bearing fruit. • "He frustrates the devices of the crafty, So that their hands cannot carry out their plans." (Job 5:12) URGENT - VOTE ON SOTOMAYOR IS TOMORROW URGENT!!SOTOMAYOR NOMINATION PENDINGSenate Judiciary Committee Will Vote Tomorrow Whether to Approve Her NominationGun Lobby Opposes NominationKey Republican Senator to Oppose1. GUN LOBBY OPPOSES SOTOMAYOR'S NOMINATIONa) Excerpt of letter to members of Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms"The Second Amendment survives today by a single vote in the Supreme Court. Both its application to the states AND whether there will be a meaningfully strict standard of review remain to be decided by the High Court. Judge Sotomayor has already revealed her views on these issues -- and they are obviously contrary to the intent and purposes of the Second Amendment and Bill of Rights. As supporters of the Second Amendment who are deeply concerned about preserving all fundamental rights for current and future generations of Americans, we need to strongly oppose this nominee, and URGE the Senate NOT to confirm Judge Sonia Sotomayor." b) National Rifle Association Opposes Sotomayor: "Dear Leader Reid and Leader McConnell:We are writing to express the National Rifle Association's opposition to the nomination of Judge Sonia Sotomayor as Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court. . . . We believe that any individual who does not agree that the Second Amendment guarantees a fundamental right and who does not respect our God-given right of self- defense should not serve on any court, much less the highest court in the land. Given the importance of this issue, the vote on Judge Sotomayor's confirmation will be considered in NRA's future candidate evaluations." (Excerpt of letter) c) From Gun Owners of America:"Obama Picks Anti-gun Judge for the Supreme Court" President Obama has picked an anti-gun radical to replace Justice David Souter on the Supreme Court. Obama's pick is Judge Sonia Sotomayor, who is currently on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second District. There she has racked up an anti-Second Amendment record and has displayed contempt for the rule of law under the Constitution. • Remain in travailing prayer over this nomination. May God hear the cries of our people, and may He deliver us from oppression. Pray that the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee would weigh ALL aspects of Ms. Sotomayor's candidacy before making a decision. Pray! • "The LORD will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men's hearts." (I Corin. 4:5) 2. KEY REPUBLICAN SENATOR SESSIONS TO VOTE AGAINST SOTOMAYORThe top Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee plans to vote against Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor, citing concerns about her record of "judicial activism." So far, South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham is the only Republican on the Judiciary Committee to come out in favor of the justice. Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions' decision comes the day before the Judiciary panel is to vote on President Obama's first high court nominee. Sotomayor, though, is virtually certain to be confirmed by a vote of the full Senate by the end of next week, becoming the first Hispanic justice. Sessions acknowledged she probably had the votes in his column. (Fox News) • Only our Lord can save us now, based upon the votes we see. Believe God for a miracle of divine intervention in the case of this nominee. Nothing is too difficult for Him!• "Is anything too difficult for the LORD?" (Genesis 18:14) GUN CONTROL/STATES' RIGHTS GUN CONTROL ISSUESSTATES' RIGHTS ISSUES• OBAMA ADMINISTRATION TAKES AIM AT GUN-RIGHTS REVOLT
• GUN CONTROL BILLS TO WATCH IN CONGRESS
• TEXAS GOVERNOR CONSIDERS STATES' RIGHTS SHOWDOWN
• GUN CONTROL PROPONENTS SCORED A RARE VICTORY IN SENATE1. OBAMA ADMINISTRATION TAKES AIM AT GUN-RIGHTS REVOLTThe Obama administration is raising the stakes in a fight over states' rights and firearm ownership by arguing that new pro-gun laws in Montana and Tennessee are invalid. In the last few months, a grass-roots, federalist revolt against Washington, D.C. has begun to spread through states that are home to politically active gun owners. Montana and Tennessee have enacted state laws saying that federal rules do not apply to firearms manufactured entirely within the state, and similar bills are pending in Texas, Alaska, Minnesota, and South Carolina. Yet the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, and Explosives now claims that that not only is such a state law invalid, but "because the act conflicts with federal firearms laws and regulations, federal law supersedes the act." . . . While this federalism-inspired revolt has coalesced around gun rights, the broader goal is to dust off a section of the Bill of Rights that most Americans probably have paid scant attention to: the Tenth Amendment. It says that "powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." Read literally, the Tenth Amendment seems to suggest that the federal government's powers are limited only to what it has been "delegated," and the U.S. Supreme Court in 1918 confirmed that the amendment "carefully reserved" some authority "to the states." That view is echoed by statements made at the time the Constitution was adopted; New Hampshire explicitly said that states kept "all powers not expressly and particularly delegated" to the federal government. (CBS News) Read more. • Whether or not one chooses to possess a firearm, the right to bear arms is guaranteed in our Constitution in the Second Amendment, and does deserve our prayer support. The Tenth Amendment, too, needs to be understood just as it was written -- the protection of States' Rights. Lift up the Obama administration -- one that seems to ignore the Constitution whenever and wherever possible -- and ask the LORD to lead them back to reality: this nation is ONE NATION UNDER GOD and ONE NATION UNDER OUR CONSTITUTION. Thank you.• "Do not move the ancient boundary stone set up by your forefathers." (Proverbs 22:28) 2. GUN CONTROL BILLS TO WATCH IN CONGRESSPlease note this list of pending legislation in Congress that would restrict gun ownership and/or ammunition ownership in our land. Pray over each one.+ S. 391: Graham-Wyden-Stabenow bill will create national firearms registry + S. 2401: McCarthy "No Fly, No Buy" bill: denies gun purchases to anyone on "no fly" list - something notorious for false positives, mistaken identities, etc + Ratification of CIFTA treaty (criminalizes even cleaning and re-assembling gun, reloading one as "illegal manufacture") + Ratification of Inter-American Convention against the Illicit Manufacturing of and Trafficking in Firearms, Ammunition, Explosives, and Other Related Materials: skirts the 2nd Amendment by authorizing complete regulation, by internationalist body - of all such materials + S-2099 forces taxpayers to declare all weapons on federal tax return, pay $50 tax on each one; may require fingerprinting + (Gun Owners of America) • Please pray first for the American voter to rise up and move in the direction of active participation in taking back his country, item by item if need be. Intercede, as the heart of God is on full display through the resolution of our forefathers in creating The Declaration of Independence and The United States Constitution, that the trappings of each bill that is being rushed through, stuffed in some other legislation, would be hurled to the forefront and exposed for what it is, an effort to once again circumvent the framers original intent. • Decree by the spirit that this attempt to create a breach in the rule of law be filled with the truth and nothing but. Pray without ceasing for a true and productive relationship and connection between all elected officials and their constituents. Ask that the voters would put forth as much effort to stay abreast of these important issues as they did when they got out to vote their officials into office. • "Most men will proclaim each his own goodness, But who can find a faithful man?" (Proverbs 20:6) 3. TEXAS GOVERNOR CONSIDERS STATES' RIGHTS SHOWDOWN OVER HEALTH CARE PLAN AUSTIN - Gov. Rick Perry, raising the specter of a showdown with the Obama administration, suggested Thursday that he would consider invoking states' rights protections under the 10th Amendment to resist the president's healthcare plan, which he said would be "disastrous" for Texas. Interviewed by conservative talk show host Mark Davis of Dallas' WBAP/820 AM, Perry said his first hope is that Congress will defeat the plan, which both Perry and Davis described as "Obama Care." But should it pass, Perry predicted that Texas and a "number" of states might resist the federal health mandate."I think you'll hear states and governors standing up and saying 'no' to this type of encroachment on the states with their healthcare," Perry said. "So my hope is that we never have to have that stand-up. But I'm certainly willing and ready for the fight if this administration continues to try to force their very expansive government philosophy down our collective throats." (www.star-telegram.com) • Offer praise that, whatever the issue, the governors of our states are taking note of the encroachment of their own rights by the federal government. Ask the Lord to give each governor a bold spirit and the courage of Joshua when confronting the Obama administration in ANY MATTER of this nature. The line has been drawn in the sand by the Tenth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, so that the rights of the states to govern themselves IS the law of the land.• "The LORD your God in your midst Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.'" (Zephaniah 3:17) 4. GUN CONTROL PROPONENTS SCORED A RARE VICTORY IN SENATE - CBN NewsGun control proponents scored a rare victory as the Senate rejected the carrying of concealed weapons across state lines. The 58-39 vote Wednesday defeated a measure giving people with concealed weapons permits the right to carry their firearms into other states that have similar gun laws. Sixty votes were needed to approve the provision, an amendment to a defense spending bill. [Also reported by: Christian Coalition of America]
• As the federal government continues to encroach upon the rights of our citizens to bear arms, stand in agreement with the Word of God, which does not fail.
• IT IS WRITTEN: "I am watching over My Word to perform it." (Jer. 1:12) and "When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him." (Isaiah 59:19) STIMULUS PACKAGE DEMS, GOP CLASH OVER RESULTS OF STIMULUS PACKAGE AND NEED FOR SECOND ONEDemocrats pushed back Sunday against critics who say the $787 billion stimulus package didn't deliver the promised results. White House spokesman Robert Gibbs told FOX News that the federal spending bill pulled the country back from the precipice of another Great Depression and that it was meant to get the economy back on track over the next two years. He said the White House is on schedule to spend 70 percent of the stimulus money by September 2010 and argued the intensity of the recession would have been longer and deeper without the spending bill.But Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said the evidence shows that the stimulus package was a "big mistake. . . I think we can fairly safely declare it now a failure," McConnell told CNN Sunday. "It was sold to us as something that was going to jolt the economy, that was going to hold unemployment to 8 percent. Unemployment's going over 10 percent." Debate over the results of the stimulus package has been raging as the unemployment rate climbs and some economists and business leaders call for a second spending bill designed to help guide the economy through a downturn that has left millions without jobs. Unemployment - which is at 9.5 percent and expected to top 10 percent this year - has risen faster than previously anticipated. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Sunday that she doesn't support a second stimulus package. "I believe that good times are ahead," she told CNN. "I would rather just stick with the initiative that we have, get it out faster if we can, but not worry about doing another stimulus package." (FOX News) • Is Mr. Gibbs living in a dream world where "wishing will not make it so"? His statements fly in the face of facts. Mrs. Pelosi' statements suggest that either she is tired or her wealthy husband's money is being impacted by the down turn in the economy. And what does she mean "good times are ahead." Praise the Lord that Congressmen like Sen. Mitch McConnell are growing in numbers and watching the economy closely. Watch also yourselves and pray for truth, and encourage neighbors and relatives to call their Congressmen's offices to express the opinions that the Lord reveals to you are accurate. • "The integrity of the upright will guide them, but the perversity of the unfaithful will destroy them. Riches do not profit in the day of wrath, but righteousness delivers from death." (Proverbs 11:3,4) EQUAL RIGHTS AMENDMENTCongresswoman Backs New Equal Rights Amendment; Points to Afghanistan, China as ModelsRep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) told activists rallying on Capitol Hill in support of the newly reintroduced Equal Rights Amendment (ERA), that the United States should join 27 other countries that have equality guarantees for women, including Rwanda, Algeria, China and Afghanistan. (CNS News) • Lord, we ask that you show Ms Lee the truth about nations she is using as her primer and allow her to experience firsthand the practice of "equality" there. Let her speak with the real women of these nations to see how their disastrous is their practice of women's rights. Father please stop the deceptions that constantly use other nations as guides for our own - let our leadership see that "one nation under God" is the only way to achieve true equality.• "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." (Psalm 33:12) CHURCH AND STATEIn God We Trust Lawsuit Over Capitol Visitor's Center If a lawsuit seeking to ban the national motto "In God We Trust" from the U.S. Capitol Visitor's Center is successful, some lawmakers say America's foundations will crumble.The Freedom from Religion Foundation, an atheist organization, filed suit July 14 to remove the engraving. Rep. Randy Forbes, R-Va., was instrumental in getting the motto added to the visitor's center after it was omitted from the original design. read more » "This group wants us to say that was a lie," Forbes said. "If that was a lie, then the rights also were a lie because those rights came from the Creator. "If you take away the Creator then you have to ask this question, 'Where do the rights come from?' If they came from government, then government can give them to you and government can take them away," he added.Congress overwhelmingly approved the engraving this month. (CBN News) • Offer praise to the LORD for the boldness of men like Congressman Randy Forbes who are now serving in Congress. Ask our Lord to continue to grant them favor with all other members as they stand as voices for RIGHTEOUSNESS in the halls of Congress.Pray, too, that this lawsuit would be rejected, so that our national motto, "In God We Trust," WILL be proudly displayed for all to see in the Capitol Visitors' Center. Amen!• "For the LORD is our Judge, The LORD is our Lawgiver, The LORD is our King; He will save us." (Isaiah 33:22)
On Capitol Hill This Week - Volume XVI, Number 24b
• THE GATES ARREST
• WHITE HOUSE NEWS
• NEWS FROM ISRAEL
• THURSDAY: THE 9TH OF AVTHE GATES ARREST1. OBAMA LASHES OUT AT COPS IN CAMBRIDGE
2. OBAMA SAYS THE WHITE COP ACTED "STUPIDLY"
3. OBAMA FUELING RACIAL TENSION; ANGERS POLICE NATIONWIDE
4. OBAMA RUSHES TO QUELL RACIAL UPROAR HE HELPED FIRE
5. OBAMA TO HOLD "BEER SUMMIT" WITH COP, SCHOLAR
6. A COMMENTARY BY BISHOP HARRY L. JACKSON1. OBAMA LASHES OUT AT COPS IN CAMBRIDGE
President Obama made a colossal mistake during last night's press conference on a question he would have been wiser to "punt" on. He was asked about the arrest of Harvard scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr., a friend of Obama's, in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Police initially identified Gates as a robber when he broke open the door to his home after accidentally locking himself out. According to the police report, when police asked Gates, an African American, for proof of identity, he became belligerent, called them racists, was uncooperative and finally had to be arrested for disorderly conduct.
A reporter asked the president what he thought of the incident. Unwisely, President Obama jumped in, without all the facts. He accused the Cambridge police of acting "stupidly," and then he broadened his comments to accuse policy generally of having a history of disproportionately stopping "African Americans and Latinos." In short, the president lapsed back to the approach he would have taken in his "community organizer" days. (Gary Bauer; End-of-Day; Thursday, July 23, 2009)
The president is in a hole, but he keeps on digging. He couldn't resist telling ABC last night, "I have to say I am surprised by the controversy surrounding my statement because I think it was a pretty straightforward comment that you probably don't need to handcuff a guy, a middle-aged man, who uses a cane, who is in his own home." Well, Mr. President, there is a controversy because you inserted yourself into a local police matter without knowing the facts, said the police acted stupidly and then suggested the whole incident was part of a long history of racism. (Gary Bauer; End-of-Day; Friday, July 24, 2009)
• One of the jobs of any president is to serve as a standard bearer for the American people - someone whose behavior and whose judgment is one we can all respect. Pray for this Harvard-educated man, Barack Hussein Obama, that he, too, will learn to wear his new mantle as president with the dignity that is expected of him. Often, words spoken rashly come back to bite us. May his words be graced with wisdom and with truth. Amen.
• "Praise be to the name of God forever and ever; wisdom and power are His!"
(Daniel 2:20)2. OBAMA SAYS THE WHITE COP ACTED "STUPIDLY"
Can you just imagine the outrage if a black cop had arrested a white man in his home, and President George W. Bush, without checking the facts of the case, had called the black cop "stupid?" For weeks the mainstream media would have displayed screaming headlines calling Bush a racist. However, that is exactly what Barack Obama did on national TV. Without knowing any details, he sided with a black man who had been arrested by a white cop and called the white cop "stupid."
This pretty much shows the racial bias of Obama. He sees everything through color and gender filters. "This post has to be filled by a woman and this post needs to be filled by a Hispanic," is now the thinking behind White House appointments. There is no such thing as searching for the best person for the job in the Obama Administration. Individuals such as Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor are picked not for qualifications, but because of race and gender.3. OBAMA FUELING RACIAL TENSION; ANGERS POLICE NATIONWIDE
President Barack Obama plunged his presidency into a charged racial debate and set off a firestorm with police officers nationwide by siding with a prominent black scholar who accuses police of racism. Saying he was unaware of "all the facts" but that police in Cambridge, Massachusetts, "acted stupidly" in their arrest of Harvard's Henry Louis Gates, Obama whipped up emotions on both sides of an issue that threatens to open old wounds.
"The President has alienated public safety officers across the country by his comments," said David Holway, president of the International Brotherhood of Police Officers, which represents 15,000 public security officials. In a letter to Obama, he sought an apology. "You not only used poor judgment in your choice of words, you indicted all members of the Cambridge police department and public safety officers across the country." (Reuters)
• Unfortunately, the years of teaching that Obama has sat under with Jeremiah Wright seems to now be bearing fruit. Pray much for the man in the Oval Office, that he would become "color blind" to the issues in front of him, but judge each case or person on the basis of his or her own merit. It is written that the LORD is not a "respecter of persons," and neither are we in this nation. Amen.
• "Then Peter opened his mouth and said: "In truth I perceive that God shows no partiality. But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him."
(Acts 10:34,35)4. OBAMA RUSHES TO QUELL RACIAL UPROAR HE HELPED FIRE
Knocked off stride by a racial uproar he helped stoke, Hussein Obama hastened Friday to tamp down the controversy. Obama, who had said Cambridge, Mass., police "acted stupidly" in arresting black scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr., declared the white arresting officer was a good man and invited him and the professor to the White House for a beer. Obama conceded his words had been ill-chosen, but he stopped short of a public apology. He personally telephoned both Gates and Sgt. James Crowley, hoping to end the rancorous back-and-forth over what had transpired and what Obama had said about it. Trying to lighten the situation, he even commiserated with Crowley about reporters on his lawn. (AP)
• Lord, we are so thankful for the men and women who place themselves in danger every day to protect the citizens of this country. May this administration be cognizant of the stresses in the lives of police officers and may they honor the sacrifices made by the officers and their families. We are grateful for the racial reconciliation that is spreading in this country, and we pray that this event will foster cooperation and not be used to split the nation by those seeking their own agendas. May the truth of this event be proclaimed, and may any who are being unfairly attacked be vindicated.
• "He who speaks from himself seeks his own glory; but He who is seeking the glory of the One who sent Him, He is true, and there is no unrighteousness in Him."
(John 7:18)5. OBAMA TO HOLD "BEER SUMMIT" WITH COP, SCHOLAR
Obama's highly anticipated sit-down with Cambridge Police Sgt. James Crowley and Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr. over some brews is expected to take place early this week, administration officials said Sunday. Obama extended the invitation Friday in phone calls to the two men as he tried to calm a furor over racial profiling and his comments this week that the police "acted stupidly" in arresting Gates. He invited both to share a beer.
"I think the president sees this as an opportunity to get dialogue going on an issue that has been historically troubling and one he has worked on and they both seem very eager to move forward, so I expect that it will," he said. (Fox News)
• With all respect, it is going to take more than conversation over a beer to heal centuries of tension between blacks and whites in this nation. This entire incident, which began in Cambridge last week, has the potential of ripping open old wounds from the past . . . wounds which must, in time, be healed. But this will be a slow, careful process . . . one which will take time. Pray, asking our Lord to pour his oil over these potentially troubled waters; and to finally bring good from what started as a very nasty incident this past week. Pray!
• "Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed."
(James 5:16)6. A COMMENTARY BY BISHOP HARRY JACKSON
Black Graduate of Harvard Law School - Bishop E.W. Jackson Sr. says Obama and Professor Gates are Singing from Jeremiah Wright's Racial Hymn Book.
STAND is dedicated to bringing Americans together around our common Judeo-Christian heritage and culture instead of dividing along race and class lines. "Barack Obama is the most powerful man in the world," says the Bishop. "I am shocked and dismayed that the President of the United States is playing the race card. I guess the Obama apple doesn't fall far from the Wright tree." Bishop E.W. Jackson Sr., President of STAND, a national patriotic grassroots organization, took issue with the President and Prof. Henry Gates for whining about what he called "a non-issue." Bishop Jackson is black, graduated from Harvard Law School and lived and practiced law in Cambridge for many years. He says, "I lived or worked in Cambridge for 23 years. In all that time I was never mistreated by Cambridge police."
Jackson has angered many in the traditional civil rights community for proclaiming that it is time to do away with the hyphenated American: African-American, Italo-American, Irish-American. "It is time to say 'we are all Americans and proud of it,'" says the Bishop.
• We want to praise God for Bishop Jackson, and for other African-American leaders whose strong voices for TRUTH and for JUSTICE can sweep away the cobwebs of fear and deception in our nation, and clear the way for excellence in race relations, based upon biblical principles. May God raise up even more voices like those of Bishop Jackson, and may America hear and take heed. Amen.
• "You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You With the oil of gladness more than Your companions."
(Heb. 1:9)WHITE HOUSE NEWS
1. GOP CONGRESSIONAL REPORT ACCUSES ACORN OF POLITICAL CORRUPTION
2. REVEALED: 'THE OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE PROTECTION ACT'?
3. CZAR OF THE WEEK: CASS SUNSTEIN
4. CZARS OF THE OBAMA UNDERWORLD
5. HEAD OF CBO (CONGRESSIONAL BUDGET OFFICE) VERSUS OBAMA
6. FIRST LADY REQUIRES MORE THAN 20 ATTENDANTS1. GOP CONGRESSIONAL REPORT ACCUSES ACORN OF POLITICAL CORRUPTION
ACORN engaged in a scheme to use taxpayer money to support a partisan political agenda, according to a new report from Republicans on a House oversight committee. The report, to be released Thursday afternoon, accuses ACORN of fraudulent activities and widespread corruption and calls for a criminal investigation into the advocacy group. It offers the first detailed account of the allegations that have dogged the organization in recent months.
"Both structurally and operationally, ACORN hides behind a paper wall of nonprofit corporate protections to conceal a criminal conspiracy on the part of its directors, to launder federal money in order to pursue a partisan agenda and to manipulate the American electorate," an executive summary of the report reads.
ACORN, or the Association of Community Organizations for Reform, has been under constant fire from conservatives since last year for its support of Barack Obama's presidential candidacy and its planned participation in next year's 2010 census. (Fox News)
• Lord we pray that this new report will move the leadership in Congress to stop funding ACORN activities and stop them from the continual violations of Your ways.
• "For He knoweth vain men; He seeth wickedness also; will He not then consider it?"
(Job 11:11)2. REVEALED: 'THE OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE PROTECTION ACT'? Bill would prohibit compelling executive branch from releasing documents
A bill approved by the House of Representatives and referred to the Senate would prohibit federal employees of executive branch from being compelled to release any document unless a court makes a specified determination by a preponderance of evidence - legislation at least one group suspects is designed to protect Hussein Obama's elusive birth certificate from release.
The legislation, HR 985, resides in the Senate Judiciary Committee. Sovereignty Alliance has issued a "red alert" about the bill it calls "stealth legislation . . . to protect Obama from providing his birth certificate."
"It wouldn't surprise me a bit if this were one of the intended consequences of this legislation," said Joseph Farah, editor and chief executive officer of WND, who last week initiated a national billboard campaign to bring attention to the issue of Obama's missing birth certificate and what it might say about his claim to be a "natural born citizen," a status necessary to serving in the White House. "In any case, this bill puts the lie to this administration and this Congress being the most ethical and transparent in American history," Farah said. "They're very open when it comes to the secrets of previous administrations, but when it comes to their own work, it is shrouded in secrecy. Even the president's birth certificate and student records are well-guarded state secrets."
Farah launched a petition campaign several months ago that has collected nearly 400,000 names of Americans demanding answers as to Obama's eligibility. Last week he called for financial support of a new campaign to erect billboards around the country asking the simple question: "Where's the birth certificate?" In just five days, the billboard campaign has been backed by about $45,000 in donations. Likewise, Farah points out, the nearly 400,000 petitioners represents more people than live in St. Louis, Missouri. (Worldnetdaily)
• Is this bill another sneak attack, another end run to avoid the truth? Praise the Lord for Joseph Farah and those working with him to reveal this stealth bill designed to protect the real identity of our president. May both the Republican and Democratic Senators smell something rotten in this bill and continue to block its passage in the Senate. Pray that the bill dies and is quickly buried in the Senate. Pass the news of this bill along to family and friends.
• "Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor that which is evil. Cling to what is good."
(Romans 12:9)3. CZAR OF THE WEEK: CASS SUNSTEIN Obama nominee: Animals can sue people
A consumer-freedom group says Obama's nominee for "regulatory czar" is an "animal-rights zealot" who may make life difficult for hunters and meat-eaters.
Senator John Cornyn (R-Texas) has placed a hold on the nomination of legal scholar Cass Sunstein to head the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs at the Office of Budget and Management. Cornyn is worried that the Harvard professor may push an aggressive animal-rights agenda in the White House. Sunstein has argued in favor of outlawing sport hunting and meat-eating, and written that animals should be allowed to file lawsuits "with human beings as their representatives."
David Martosko with the Center for Consumer Freedom shares Cornyn's concern. Cass Sunstein "If Cass Sunstein is ultimately confirmed to be the regulatory czar, having an animal-rights zealot in that position for the first time could be problematic for Americans who love to hunt, who like seeing circuses, [who like] having animals, who like taking their kids to the zoo, who like feeding their children meat and milk at lunch time," he warns. (One News Now)
• Come against the spirit of delusion that seems to have gripped the White House, as evidenced by the credentials and morals of many of these "appointed" czars. May God have mercy . . and may He move to block this appointment. In Jesus Name.
• "I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised; So shall I be saved from my enemies."
(2 Samuel 22:4)4. CZARS OF THE OBAMA UNDERWORLD
So far, czars have been installed in at least 35 posts through presidential executive orders that require no Senate approval. No Senate review, no questions. No questions, no problems.
The Obama administration has created a two-tiered government-fronted by Cabinet secretaries able to withstand public scrutiny (some of them, just barely) and then managed behind the scenes by shadow secretaries with broad powers beyond congressional reach. Bureaucratic chaos serves as a useful smokescreen to obscure the true source of policy decision-making. Energy czar Carol Browner epitomized the secretive dealings of these offices when she advised auto industry executives this month "to put nothing in writing, ever" about their meetings with her. (Michelle Malkin; New York Post)
• Excuse me, but where does the Constitution of the United States of America use the word "czar?" Who ARE these people?? Come against the spirit of lawlessness that has overtaken the White House -- an administration that seems to "do its own thing" with no heed to the rule of law. We are treading on very dangerous ground here; pray we come back home to our foundation; and pray that each "czar" be, at the very least, APPROVED by Congress before taking office. Pray!
• "Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness."
(I John 3:4)5. HEAD OF CBO (CONGRESSIONAL BUDGET OFFICE) VERSUS OBAMA
The Obama administration is finally hitting its biggest roadblock in the debate over health care: the facts. Despite his best attempts to gloss over the real cost, Obama continues to lock horns with the Congressional Budget Office (CBO), whose unflattering analyses are cutting significantly into the administration's efforts to sell this as reform. Much to this administration's displeasure, the CBO continues to provide an honest assessment of the bill's price tag, which has rocketed well above $1 trillion.
Unlike other entities, the CBO is supposed to be above partisanship--but in the eyes of the Obama administration, that's a problem. For an administration so accustomed to having its way with Congress, the press, and the American people, the CBO's independence has been a powerful annoyance. Frustrated by his inability to control how CBO scores his proposal, President Obama took the unprecedented step of calling CBO Director Douglas Elmendorf into his office for a heart to heart. The White House was particularly angry over Elmendorf's estimate that the House version of "reform" would "result in a net increase in the federal budget deficit of $239 billion over the 2010-2019." Obviously Obama didn't take kindly to the CBO for interrupting his public spin with the bottom line.
But calling in Elmendorf to "discuss" these costs is highly unusual--even by liberal standards. To the best of anyone's knowledge, this is the first time an administration has tried to directly intervene in how the CBO appraises legislation. More than a few people speculated that the administration was trying to strong-arm the Office into releasing more budget-friendly numbers in their scores. There would be no other motivation for the meeting, particularly since (as both Ed Morrissey and John Fund point out), the White House has its own budget office.
If President Obama were earnestly looking for ways to cut costs, he could have picked up the phone and called the OMB, the Office of Management and Budget. Instead, he reached across the entire Executive Branch to influence a congressional appointee, a move that shows this man isn't willing to fight fair in the most expensive policy initiative of his term.
As Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell described it, "that's like asking the umpires to come up to the owner's box . . . I mean, if the CBO is to have credibility, they're the umpire." To his credit, Elmendorf said that the meeting with President Obama would not impact how the CBO scores health care reform. And to prove it, the CBO released an assessment on Friday afternoon that disputed the Democrats' claim that a few changes to the plan would result in big savings. On the contrary, the proposed cuts would only skim a measly .2% off the bill's total price.
• Praise God for ANOTHER STRONG VOICE FOR TRUTH in Washington, D.C.! And praise God that Mr. Elmendorf has not bowed to the bullying tactics of the White House, but has instead given a true report to the American people of the actual cost of this health care plan. Pray for his protection; and pray that his voice will continue to be heard here in Washington. Praise God!
• "Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven."
(Mt. 18:19)6. FIRST LADY REQUIRES MORE THAN 20 ATTENDANTS
Michele Obama does not get paid to serve and she doesn't perform any official duties. But this hasn't deterred her from hiring an unprecedented number of staffers to cater to her every whim and to satisfy her every request in the midst of the Great Recession. Just think Mary Lincoln was taken to task for purchasing china for the White House during the Civil War. And Mamie Eisenhower had to shell out the salary for her personal secretary.
There has never been anyone in the White House at any time that has created such an army of staffers whose sole duties are the facilitation of the First Lady's social life. One wonders why she needs so much help, at taxpayer expense, when even Hillary, only had three; Jackie Kennedy one; Laura Bush one; and prior to Mamie Eisenhower social help came from the President's own pocket. (Canada Free Press)
• Offer praise that our friends in Canada are bringing information to us, so that we may pray "with understanding" over the burden of the Lord, and the people, for activities inside the White House. Given the history cited here, it does seem that Mrs. Obama's large staff may be an excessive burden to our taxpayers. Pray that this situation will come to the attention of members of Congress who have oversight over the White House budget. Perhaps hearings can be held, and accountability can be set in place, so that the outlay in the Office of the First Lady would be in balance with our national needs.
• "When the righteous thrive, the people rejoice; when the wicked rule, the people groan."
(Proverbs 29:2)NEWS FROM ISRAEL1. U.S. TO ISRAEL: STOP EAST JERUSALEM HOUSING PROJECT
2. MITCHELL, GATES, JONES IN JERUSALEM THIS WEEK
3. PRAYER REQUESTS FROM INTERCESSORS FOR ISRAEL
1. U.S. TO ISRAEL: STOP EAST JERUSALEM HOUSING PROJECT
The controversy over settlement construction between Israel and the United States has deepened, after the US demanded Israel halt the construction of 20 Jewish apartments in East Jerusalem, according to a report from Ha'aretz. While the US has linked East Jerusalem, which was captured by Israel in the 1967 war, to the settlement issue before, the specific neighborhood demand appears to be new. According to Ha'aretz, American sources told Israel that freezing construction in East Jerusalem is no different to them than stopping illegal outposts in the West Bank (Judea and Samaria).
The Honorable Prime Minister (PM) Benjamin Netanyahu responded strongly to the specific construction stoppage demand in the weekly cabinet meeting on July 19. According to excerpts from his comments as seen on the PM's Web site, Mr. Netanyahu said, "I would like to reemphasize that the united Jerusalem is the capital of the Jewish people and of the State of Israel. Our sovereignty over it is cannot be challenged; this means that residents of Jerusalem may purchase apartments in all parts of the city."
Ha'aretz reported that the specific apartments in question are to be built on privately owned land purchased by an American Jew more than 20 years ago. The newspaper said the demand from the US came following a request from Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas (Abu Mazen) amidst concerns the new Jewish buildings would negatively affect the Palestinians in the neighborhood and alter its demographics. (By Joshua Spurlock, BFP Israel Mosaic Radio, July 20, 2009) [Reported by: Bridges for Peace]
• Pray for an end to the unreasonable and unfair pressure from the US and other nations intended to control growth and development within the nation of Israel and particularly in the city of Jerusalem.
• "In that day it shall be said to Jerusalem: 'Do not fear; Zion, let not your hands be weak. The LORD your God in your midst Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.'"
(Zephaniah 3:16-17)2. MITCHELL, GATES, JONES IN JERUSALEM THIS WEEK
The American administration has decided to send an "airlift" of senior officials to Israel for talks with the Netanyahu government: Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, special Mideast envoy George Mitchell, and National Security Advisor James Jones.
The first to visit will be Hussein Obama's special envoy to the region, who will hold a series of meetings in Jerusalem and Ramallah. Mitchell will land in Israel on July 26 as part of another effort to advance a resumption of the direct negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians.
Defense Secretary Gates will arrive on July 27, but will only stay in Israel for a few hours. Washington officials refused to provide details on the visit, but it is known that Gates is expected to meet with his Israeli counterpart, Ehud Barak. General Jones will arrive in Israel the next day, accompanied by a delegation of US government officials.
At this stage, the Hussein Obama administration is holding separate discussions on the two issues troubling Israel: the talks with the Palestinians and the Iranian threat. In terms of the situation in Tehran there is a tight cooperation between the two sides, but the Palestinian issue is causing tension. The settlement issue has yet to be resolved, but Washington wants it to stop making newspaper headlines.
(By Yitzhak Benhorin, Ynetnews.com, July 22, 2009) [Reported by: Bridges for Peace]
• Pray that the LORD will control these discussions and have His way in the midst of these national leaders who desire to put pressure on Israel; may they result only in that which is beneficial for Israel and not to her detriment.
• "And he said: 'The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; the God of my strength, in whom I will trust; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge; my Saviour, You save me from violence.'"
(2 Samuel 22:2-3)3. PRAYER REQUESTS FROM INTERCESSORS FOR ISRAEL
The International pressure for Israel not to continue building in her own Land and in her city Jerusalem is building. Different leaders of nations are joining this call seemingly on a daily basis. We prayed that the Prime Minister and the government would be strong and courageous.
• "Then answered I them, and said unto them, The God of heaven, he will prosper us; therefore we his servants will arise and build: but ye have no portion, nor right, nor memorial, in Jerusalem."
- Lord, warn the US government, especially President Obama, to not touch the apple of God's eye (Zech. 2:8)
- Thank You that the pressure is actually bringing unity in Israel as more people see how unjust and unreasonable these requests are.
- Continue to harden the hearts of the enemies of Israel.
- Strengthen the Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Thank You for the stance he and his government has taken.
• "When the LORD shall build up Zion, he shall appear in his glory."
- Let the people of Israel know that our strength is not in America, but in You and Your will for this nation. Wake up the Church to understand that "East Jerusalem" is biblical Jerusalem (everything we read that Jesus did in Jerusalem happened there).
• "Praise ye the LORD: for it is good to sing praises unto our God; for it is pleasant; and praise is comely. The LORD doth build up Jerusalem: he gathers together the outcasts of Israel. He heals the broken in heart, and binds up their wounds."
(Psalms 147:1-3)THURSDAY: THE 9TH OF AV1. THE HISTORY OF THE 9TH OF AV
This Thursday, July 30th, is the "Ninth of Av," or "Tisha Be'Av," which is considered to be the bleakest fast of the Hebrew calendar according to The Jerusalem Post. It is the commemoration of the destruction of both of Israel's Holy Temples, as well as the final destruction of Jerusalem in 135 A.D. Let us keep our Jewish brothers and sisters in prayer for the final days of their national three-week time of mourning and fasting for its Holy Temples or Beis Hamikdash in Hebrew, that began on "The Seventeenth of Tammuz," Thursday, July 9th.
A "snapshot" is given of Ninth of Av services in Jewish synagogues that day in "The Complete Family Guide to Jewish Holidays."
"It is a somber time of synagogues being draped in black, the lights dimmed, congregants sitting on the floor or on low stools. They wear no shoes, just socks or slippers. And, like mourners, they do not greet each other. In addition to the regular daily service, the Book of Lamentations is read."
Thank you for your prayers for our Jewish brothers and sisters...For more information about the Seventeenth of Tammuz and the Ninth of Av, and the other Jewish holidays, go to: http://www.aish.com/h/9av/2. A PRAYER FOR THE 9TH OF AV
1. For Israel and the peace of Jerusalem.
2. For the woman (church) to come fully into the mature man child Jesus. (Rev 12)
3. A mature church cleansed ready to rise and shine declaring the judgments of God on the wicked.
4. "So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun. When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him. And the Redeemer shall come to Zion, and unto them that turn from transgression in Jacob, saith the LORD. As for me, this is my covenant with them, saith the LORD; My spirit that is upon thee, and my words which I have put in thy mouth, shall not depart out of thy mouth, nor out of the mouth of thy seed, nor out of the mouth of thy seed's seed, saith the LORD, from henceforth and for ever."
(Is 59: 19) This Week, Worship Our Lord As . . .LIGHT OF THE WORLD (Or Ha-O-lahm) I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." (John 8:12) O Lord, there is none like You. You are the light of the world. You are not selective. You give Your light to all who desire to know You. Thank You for shining Your light into my world and into my life. Thank You for changing my attitude, my thoughts, and my life -- from darkness to light. (Taken from: Intimate Moments with the Hebrew Names of God, by Barri Cae Malin and Shmuel Wolkenfeld; Bridge-Logos Publishers; Gainesville, FL, 32614. ISBN: 0-88270-801-5)