1. Bush Visits Walter Reed; Apologizes for Poor Conditions - AP
President Bush apologized Friday for the poor conditions of the military health-care system endured by U.S. soldiers recovering from injuries suffered in Iraq and Afghanistan. “The system failed you and it failed our troops,” Bush said during a visit to Walter Reed Army Medical Center. “We’re going to fix it.”
• As President Bush has interacted with these soldiers today, ask our Lord to turn His heart in His direction, as Mr. Bush continues to make decisions about possible future armed conflicts. • "The king’s heart is in the hand of the LORD, Like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes." (Prov. 21:1)
2. $2.9 Trillion Budget Clears House With 216 - 210 Vote - Washington Times
The House yesterday narrowly passed a $2.9 trillion budget resolution for fiscal 2008 that increases spending for children's health care, education and defense while pledging to balance the budget by 2012. Democrats, who crafted the proposal, say it restores fiscal responsibility in the federal government after 12 years of Republican control. Republicans called the budget "reckless" and said it will lead to the largest tax increase in history. The resolution now must be reconciled with a similar Senate version passed last week.
• May the Democratic Congress know through the power of the Holy Spirit that it is He who gives the increase and not our own efforts. May all evil budget plans be destroyed for Your honor and glory, Lord! • "But our God is in heaven; He does whatever He pleases. Their idols are silver and gold, the work of men's hands. Those who make them are like them, so is everyone who trusts in them. You who fear the Lord, trust in the Lord. May the Lord give you increase more and more, you and your children." (Psalm 115: 3,4,8,11a & 14 NKJV)
3. Senator Clinton Touts Universal Health Care Plan - ABC News
Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Rodham Clinton vowed Monday to create a universal health care system if elected, saying she "learned a lot" during the failed health care effort of her husband's presidency. In a related ABC News editorial, it was stated that "Mrs. Clinton's effort to impose Hillary-Care on an unwilling nation was a historic blunder. While Mrs. Clinton had qualifications, there was no possible defense for the notion that she was the country's most qualified individual to retool the American health-care system. In short, the president's selection of his wife for such an important task was an outrageous act of nepotism." • Gracious Lord, we do not need man to set universally accepted health parameters for health standards that You have already outlined in Your Word! Please stop this artificial solution to suppport homosexuality, AIDS, abortion and other abominable health practices that You condemn. • "Some trust in chariots, and some in horses; but we will remember the name of the Lord, Our God." (2 Chronicles 20: 14 NKJV)
4. Massive Storm Spawns Dozens Of Tornadoes In U.S., Kills 4 People - International Herald Tribune
Sixty-five tornadoes were reported late Wednesday in Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Colorado and Nebraska, the National Weather Service said. A twister Thursday afternoon in Oklahoma City injured at least five people — two of them critically.
• As the psalmist praised God from His creation, may we continue to thank Him regardless, for good and bad weather. • "Praise the Lord from the earth, you great sea creatures and all the depths; fire and hail, snow and clouds; stormy wind, fulfilling His word." (Psalm 148: 7-8 NKJV)
5. China Has Gained And Tested Array Of Space Weapons - Washington Times
China is developing an "impressive" array of space weapons, including missiles and jammers, and is moving toward placing nuclear weapons in space to attack U.S. satellites, the commander of U.S. strategic forces told the Senate yesterday.
• Let us pray for an end to China's misguided power madness. It is only through faith in Christ that you have true strength. • As Jesus said: "Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy; and nothing shall by any means hurt you." (Luke 10: 19 NJKV)
6. Russia Ups Spying - NY Sun
Russia has fully restored its espionage capabilities against America after a period of decline following the Cold War, a senior American counterintelligence official said Thursday. This comes in light of Russian military intelligence services reporting a flurry of activity by U.S. Armed Forces near Iran's borders.
• May Russia's heavy handed Cold War tactics be a thing of the past. • "Do not envy the oppressor, and choose none of his ways; for the perverse person is an abomination to the Lord, but His secret counsel is with the upright." (Proverbs 3:31-32 NKJV)