CHPP Daily Brief - Tuesday, January 31, 2012
• The Middle East in Focus
• The Daily Jot
• Focus on Iran
• Focus: New York City
• Focus: In Congress
• Military Religious Freedom
• Focus: Family First
• The Good News Corner
• Worship with Us Today!
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"Partners in Prayer for Our Nation"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
"The righteous shall inherit the land, And dwell in it forever." (Psalm 37:29)
TODAY'S MAJOR HEADLINES:
• Focus on Iran
• New York City Pastors Rally for Their Rights
• U.S. Tax Dollars Promoting Anti-Israel Bigotry
• Congressman Introduces Military Religious Freedom Bill
• Rick Santorum: Putting Family First
The Daily Brief
1. AG Holder Threatened with Contempt - Fox News
House Oversight Committee Chairman Issa is threatening to hold Attorney General Holder in contempt if he fails to comply with subpoenas for documents on 'Operation Fast and Furious,' which Issa charges the Department of Justice is actively trying to 'cover up.'
- Now that Congressman Issa's committee is demanding evidence in this investigation, pray the that Attorney General will be forthcoming in his response and will turn over the documents that have been requested. Let the facts be known, and let the facts speak for themselves.
- "He reveals the deep things of darkness and brings deep shadows into the light." (Job 12:22)
2. Arrests in Oakland protests rise to more than 400 - Reuters
More than 400 anti-Wall Street protesters were arrested in Oakland during a night of skirmishes in which police fired tear gas and bean bag projectiles, the city said on Sunday, marking one of the biggest mass arrests since nationwide economic protests began last year.
- Lord, we pray for the peace of Oakland and all cities where the protests are occuring. We pray for the protection of law enforcement officers. We also pray for the protesters that they would come to the knowledge of the truth in Jesus Christ. We know without Your intervention there will be great destruction. Have mercy, O Lord. We pray all these prayers in the name of Jesus. Amen.
- "There is a cyring for wine in the streets; all joy is darkened, the mirth of the land is gone." (Isaiah 24:11)
3. Family Found Guilty in "Honor Killings" - Fox News
KINGSTON, Ontario - A jury on Sunday found an Afghan father, his wife and their son guilty of killing three teenage sisters and a co-wife in what the judge described as "cold-blooded, shameful murders" resulting from a "twisted concept of honor" in a case that shocked and riveted Canadians. Prosecutors said the defendants allegedly killed the three teenage sisters because they dishonored the family by defying its disciplinarian rules on dress, dating, socializing and using the Internet.
Ontario Superior Court Judge Robert Maranger said the evidence clearly supported the conviction. "It is difficult to conceive of a more heinous, more despicable, more honorless crime," Maranger said. "The apparent reason behind these cold-blooded, shameful murders was that the four completely innocent victims offended your completely twisted concept of honor . . . that has absolutely no place in any civilized society." In a statement following the verdict, Canadian Justice Minister Rob Nicholson called honor killings a practice that is "barbaric and unacceptable in Canada." Read more.
- Lord, we thank you for the verdict regarding this horrible crime. This is not the first time we have heard of honor killings. We intercede concerning this barbaric mindset, and plead the blood of Jesus over this community.
- "Do not murder." (Exodus 20:13)
4. NBC, AP Avoid 'M-word' in Report About 'Honor Killings' - Newsbusters
It is the religion that dare not speak its name . . . at least on NBC News and at the Associated Press among other politically correct circles. Both media outlets reported on a verdict in an "honor killings" case in Canada while managing to avoid mentioning a certain religion whose name starts with "M." To watch or read both reports, you would think that "honor killings" was some sort of bizarre ritual limited to the family in question or perhaps a few other members of an unidentified "patriarchal culture." Read more.
- When you don't know the identity of your enemy, you can be ambushed. In this case, the "enemy" is Islam, and its horrible law of Sharia. This case in Canada demonstrates the horrific results that happen when a Moslem family adheres to the tenets of their faith.
Pray for the deliverance of the Moslems in your own city, and pray especially that this "gag order," based in fear, will be lifted off the media in America. It's time to call a spade a spade . . . it's time to tell the truth about Islam. Pray!
- "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." (Eph. 6:12)
5. H.R. 973: Banning Foreign Laws in American Courts - Daily Caller
Conservative Congresswoman Sandy Adams (R-FL) has taken a stand for liberty and to defend the U.S. Constitution and US law, by sponsoring H.R. 973 -- a bill that stops liberal activist judges from enforcing Muslim Sharia law, or foreign laws, in American Courts.
She states: ""Foreign law poses a very real threat to the American judicial system . . Our Constitution laid the foundation for our nation's judicial system, and referencing or using foreign law in American courts will lead to its erosion. . . " Read more.
- Pray for the protection of the life of Congresswoman Sandy Adams, and pray that many other members of Congress will sign onto this bill. Call your own congressman, too, and demand that he or she support this new law. Pray!
- "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
6. Europe: Pundits fear 'perfect storm' despite official optimism - AFP
Despite attempts by political and business leaders to suggest the eurozone has turned a corner, the prevailing view of pundits is things can only get worse and a "perfect storm" is brewing.
- Lord, help your watchmen to know how to pray about the coming storms in our global economy.
- "The watchman siad, The morning cometh, and also the night: if ye will enquire, enquire ye: return, come." (Isaiah 20:12)
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"For the Lord God is a sun and shield; The Lord will give grace and glory; No good thing will He withhold From those who walk uprightly." (Psalm 84:11)
1. Report: Israel Agrees to Cede Sovereignty of Jordan Valley - Arutz Sheva
Israel does not demand sovereignty over the Jordan Valley and for all practical purposes cedes this sovereignty, according to a report in the daily Maariv about ongoing talks in Jordan between Israel and the Palestinian Authority (PA).
2. Mashaal in Amman: No Palestinian state in Jordan - Jerusalem Post
Hamas is opposed to the idea of creating a Palestinian state in Jordan, Hamas leader Khaled Mashaal declared Sunday.
3. Pope calls for peace in Holy Land - Ynet News
Pope Benedict XVI on Sunday called for peace in the Holy Land, as preliminary talks to relaunch negotiations between Israel and Palestine ended in a deadlock over the last few days.
4. IDF covert operations rise significantly over past year - Jerusalem Post
The IDF has significantly increased the number of overseas covert operations it has conducted over the past year, an indication of the growing threats Israel faces in the region, The Jerusalem Post has learned.
The Daily Jot
Major Bible Translators Replacing Bible's names of God with Islamic Names
Bible translators Wycliffe, Summer Institute of Linguistics (SIL) and Frontiers reportedly have begun replacing the names of God to Islamic terms such as allah. On January 4th, Biblical Missiology, an organization dedicated to presenting the Bible truthfully in missions, weighed into the debate by issuing a petition asking the three translators to "commit in writing to preserve the terms "Father," "Son," and "Son of God" in the text of their Bible translations." Biblical Missiology said it is "particularly concerned about new initiatives called "Insider Movements" (IM) and "Muslim Idiom Translations" (MIT) that present a distorted and incomplete portrayal of the person and work of Jesus Christ, the Son of God."
The petition stated: "Western missions agencies Wycliffe, Frontiers and SIL are producing Bibles that remove Father, Son and Son of God because these terms are offensive to Muslims." Biblical Missiology reports that Wycliffe responded in writing, saying, "The titles are not removed, but are translated more accurately to the inspired Greek. The issue is not that the Greek term is offensive to Muslims, rather that traditional translations of it are so inaccurate that they communicate the wrong meaning, appearing to say God has sex with women, and give readers the impression the translation is corrupt." There is no mention of this anywhere on the Wycliffe or SIL websites, so we are dependent on Biblical Missiology as a reputable source.
Notwithstanding, Wycliffe's response should be unacceptable to every Christian. Changing the translation of the Bible to avoid the appearance that the translation is corrupt is in itself corrupt. Hebrews 4:12 says, "For the word of God is quick and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Converts from Islam to Christianity often site the power of the gospel, that God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son to die on the cross for the remission of our sins, for accepting Christ. The choice becomes clear: death cult of Islam or everlasting life of Christianity.
This is truly a sign of the times. There have been many movements afoot in Christianity to make God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit what man wants them to be rather than what the WORD OF GOD says they are. Now even Bible translators, once considered very reputable, are changing the translations so as to not be offensive to man. If they are changing Christ into their own image, what Christ are we following? The true Christ or the man-made Christ? I will tell you this: if you are depending on your pastor or television set to answer that question for you, you are in troubled waters. Even your pastor will say to study the Bible and check what he says. Arm yourself with a traditional translation, a Greek and Hebrew concordance, and see for yourself who is teaching truth or error. You will be amazed.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Focus on Iran
1. Top U.N. nuclear team lands in Iran, state media reports - CNN
Top International Atomic Energy Agency officials arrived in Iran Sunday, state media reported, after the head of the United Nations nuclear watchdog expressed fresh concerns that the Islamic republic was trying to develop nuclear weapons.
- Lord, give the inspection officials eyes to see and open doors for them to see the truth of what is happening in Iran. Use them as watchmen.
- "Go, set a watchman, let him declare what he seeth." (Isaih 20:6)
2. Iran says oil could reach $120 to $150 per barrel - AP
The head of Iran's state oil company said Sunday that the price of crude will reach $120 to $150 per barrel, as officials in Tehran prepare to discuss a ban on crude sales to European Union countries in retaliation for an EU embargo.
- Lord, the earth is Yours and all that is in it. We trust that You will distribute the wealth as it is deserved. We ask for mercy and provision for those who are in need of oil. In Jesus' Name, amen.
- "Surely the princes of Zoan are fools, the counsel of the wise counselors of Pharaoh is become brutish." (Isaiah 19:11)
3. Iran hits back at EU with own oil embargo threat - Reuters
Fighting sanctions with sanctions in a test of strength with the West over its nuclear ambitions, Iran warned on Friday it may halt oil exports to Europe next week in a move calculated to hurt ailing European economies.
- Lord, give wisdom to the leaders dealing with these problems. Reveal truth of who the wise leaders are in Your eyes and give them favor.
- "Where are they? where are thy wise men and let them tell thee now, and let them know what the Lord of hosts hath purposed . . . " (Isaiah 19:12)
4. Israel Report: May be too late . . . - UK Telegraph
Iran moving closer to stage where it will be too late to destroy nuclear facilities, Israel warns
Iran is moving closer to the point when it will be too late to destroy its nuclear facilities with a precision air strike, Israel's defense minister has warned.
- Lord, it is never too late for You. We pray for the peace of Jerusalem and Israel and blessings for the people of Israel. Remove the veil and bring them to their Messiah, Jesus.
- "In that day, saith the Lord of hosts, shall the nail that is fastened in the sure place be removed, and be cut down, and fall; and the burden that was upon it shall be cut off." (Isaiah 23:25)
Focus: New York City
New York City Pastors Rally for Their Rights
The number of pastors and churches protesting the Mayor Michael Bloomberg's eviction of churches that rent public school facilities for worship services is growing. On Sunday, January 29th at 3:30 PM, pastors from both conservative and liberal congregations called thousands of believers to a march across Brooklyn Bridge and on to City Hall Park, where they were addressed by Councilmen, Pastors, and nationally known figures, including Rev. Al Sharpton.
- Other jurisdictions are watching. May God grant favor to the pastors and churches. May the Council and the legislature bills overrule Mayor Bloomberg and may the U.S. Supreme Court act soon to affirm and reinforce the Federal Equal Access law!
- "He suffered no man to do them wrong: yea, he reproved kings for their sakes; Saying, Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm." (Psalms 105:14-15)
Focus: In Congress
U.S. Tax Dollars Promoting Anti-Israel Bigotry
Kudos to Rep. Chris Smith (R-NJ).
Last week, Rep. Smith chaired a hearing that exposed the anti-Israel and anti-American bigotry contained in many textbooks used to teach Palestinian children in U.N. refugee camps. For example, a geography lesson for second graders features a map of the Middle East, but Israel is not included. A reading assignment for ninth graders asks students to explain this bit of poetry: "The morning of glory and red liberty watered by the martyrs' blood . . . the hope for the Liberation of Palestine." There is much more and worse.
The level of hatred and bigotry contained in these textbooks is bad enough. But, unbelievably, American taxpayers are helping to pay for these books by subsidizing the United Nations Refugee and Works Agency (UNRWA). In 2010, the UNRWA got nearly $230 million from American taxpayers. Rep. Smith wants to limit UNRWA funding until the textbooks are purged of such hate.
Rep. Smith said, "We are responsible for the content and the content has been, year in and year out, explosively anti-Semitic, anti-American and anti-Israeli. . . . If you teach kids to hate when they're very, very young and just keep feeding them that kind of formula for violence, why are we surprised when they strap on dynamite and other kinds of explosives to kill themselves and think they're doing a good thing?"
Military Religious Freedom
Congressman Introduces Military Religious Freedom Bill
Late last week, Rep. Tim Huelskamp, R-Kan., introduced a bill aiming to protect chaplains and other members of the Armed Services who oppose homosexuality from being targeted for discrimination. It also seeks to keep military property from being used to perform same-sex ceremonies.
In part, the Military Religious Freedom Protection Act (HR 3828) reads that "a service member cannot be denied promotion or other training opportunities for any sincerely held beliefs he has about the appropriate or inappropriate expression of human sexuality."
Though the First Amendment to the Constitution already protects those rights, Huelskamp said in a press release it's necessary to shore them up with a law since the repeal of the military's Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT) policy.
"Fundamental to the core of this nation is the protection of religious liberty," Huelskamp said. "The Military Religious Freedom Protection Act will ensure that none of our men and women in uniform - including our chaplain corps - is asked to compromise their religious and spiritual beliefs. It will also protect the freedom of those in the military to express vocally the tenets of their faiths. And it will make certain that our military facilities are not used in contravention to the federal Defense of Marriage Act, which states that marriage is between one man and one woman only.
"Military installations exist to carry out the national defense of our nation, not to facilitate a narrow social agenda." (Citizen Link) Read more.
Focus: Family First
Rick Santorum Suspended Campaign to Rush to the Bedside of His Daughter
God Has Now Heard and Answered Their Prayers for Their Little Girl, Bella
If you've been following the Santorum campaign, then you know Rick and his wife, Karen, had quite a scare last weekend when their littlest daughter, Bella, was hospitalized. The Santorums' three-year-old suffers from a genetic disorder called Trisomy 18, and a complication like pneumonia can be deadly. Rick cancelled his campaign appearances to be with Bella, but they're happy to report that their daughter is making a miraculous recovery.
I had the opportunity to talk with Fox News's Megyn Kelly yesterday about Bella Santorum and kids like her. FRC had just finished up a special conference on the topic of prenatal disability diagnosis. Tragically, about 90% of the kids who have conditions like Bella's are aborted. Sometimes parents are misled into thinking that their baby or their family will have a poor quality of life. But a study released this fall found the opposite. It showed that adolescent children with Down Syndrome are actually very happy--off-the-charts happy compared to the average teenager. And of all those parents who followed through and had their children, 97% were proud of them. Seventy-nine percent said their outlook on life was more positive because of their Down Syndrome child. Just ask the Santorums. Rick and Karen admit that Bella has some difficulties, but she brings them more joy than anyone could imagine. Join us in praying for a complete and speedy recovery! (Tony Perkins; Family Research Council)
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners salutes the Rick and Karen Santorum, who temporarily suspended his campaign for the presidency to rush back to Philadelphia to be at Bella's bedside. We thank all of our prayer partners, too, for praying for Bella's miraculous recovery, which has now come to pass.
Although we continue to be close-mouthed about the support of any of the candidates for President, we do honor the Santorums for putting the needs of their family ahead of any other pressing matters.
The Good News Corner:
An upbeat and a clever way to share our main and only message . . . go here.
P.S. Be sure to watch this one ALL THE WAY TO THE END!
Worship with Us Today!
High and Exalted by Darwin Hobbs
Holy, holy, holy is the Lord. (4x)
He is high and exalted and worthy of praise.
In our hearts we will love and adore.
He is high and exalted and worthy of praise.
Holy is the Lord. . .