Hobby Lobby Decision Announced Tomorrow;
Daily Brief to Focus on this Issue on Tuesday
Anne Graham Lotz: Urgent Call to Prayer,
also begins on Tuesday
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
Sunday, June 29, 2014
> > > SPECIAL EDITION < < <
"Let me tell you what He has done for me." (Psalm 66:16)
Our editorial team is sensing to present this edition of the Daily Brief (which was to go out on Monday) . . . now! Then tomorrow, we can all track the news from the Court together, and wait for the Tuesday edition of the Brief to see the various commentaries on the outcome of this decision.
God bless you all, and keep you, as together we enter into this historic week in America's history. Amen.
"And I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse . . ." (Rev. 19:1)
The Daily Brief
1. Top Republican alleges Obama 'trampling' on authority of Congress, backs lawsuit - Fox News
The chairman of the House Judiciary Committee charged Sunday that President Obama is "trampling upon" the constitutional authority granted to Congress, as he defended Speaker John Boehner's decision to file a lawsuit against the president for allegedly exceeding his authority. "This is all about the United States Constitution," Rep. Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., told "Fox News Sunday." Goodlatte rejected Democratic criticism that the lawsuit announced by Boehner amounts to an election-year political stunt. He cited a presidential pattern of "not enforcing laws, or changing laws that have been passed, taking power from the Legislative Branch." This, he said, runs afoul of Article 1 of the Constitution which grants legislative powers to Congress. "We ... have the power to bring causes of action when we believe that the president of the United States is exceeding his authority and is trampling upon Article 1 of the Constitution," Goodlatte said. "To me, it makes a whole lot of sense to do this." (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we lift up praise that this lawsuit is being backed by Rep. Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee. We ask You to abide in the midst of this lawsuit so that truth may reign in it and a return to the laws of the Constitution is achieved. We pray this in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "The Lord takes pleasure in those who fear Him, in those who hope in His mercy." (Psalm 147:11)
2. Election-year fears slow Senate work to a halt - Fox News
A fear of voting has gripped Democratic leaders in the Senate, slowing the chamber's modest productivity this election season to a near halt.
With control of the Senate at risk in November, leaders are going to remarkable lengths to protect endangered Democrats from casting tough votes and to deny Republicans legislative victories in the midst of the campaign. The phobia means even bipartisan legislation to boost energy efficiency, manufacturing, sportsmen's rights and more could be scuttled. The Senate's masters of process are finding a variety of ways to shut down debate. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we call forth for You to confront the actions of these members of Congress, who will not take stands and act upon laws for the benefit of this nation. It appears that self serving actions are much more important than the good of this nation and we ask You, Father, to arise and awaken these senators for a good future for this nation. We pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- "A wicked man accepts a bribe behind the back to pervert the ways of justice." (Proverbs 17:23)
3. As Veterans Waited For Treatment, VA Hospitals Spent $420 Million On Solar Panels - TownHall.com
Veterans Administration hospitals have spent at least $420 million on solar panels and windmills while vets wait months - or even lay dying - to see a doctor.
In total, VA hospitals reported 23 deaths due to 76 instances of delayed care, an April 2014 VA fact sheet said. Then on June 5, Acting Veteran Affairs Secretary Sloan Gibson revealed that at least 18 Phoenix patients died while waiting for treatment on a secret list kept off the books. It is not clear if that number is in addition to the 23 deaths reported earlier. During the past month, the scandal has resulted in the resignations of both the VA secretary and the leaders of its health care component.
According to a June 3 audit, 100,000 veterans had lengthy wait times for appointments. Of the nation's 216 VA hospitals, 37 percent will require further investigation. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, it becomes obvious from this article that the Veterans Administration has its priorities distorted. Using its money to install solar panels while many veterans are not being treated, resulting in the deaths of a number of veterans, is not acceptable. May the exposure of these actions bring forth serious reform and more appropriate responses. We pray this in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "It is not good to show partiality to the wicked, or to overthrow the righteous in judgment." (Proverbs 18:5)
4. Report: Mexican Military Chopper Crosses Into US, Shoots At Border Agents - CBSLocal; Las Vegas
Border Patrol agents in Arizona were reportedly fired upon by a Mexican military helicopter that traveled across the border. Mexican authorities were conducting a drug interdiction operation when the incident happened early Thursday morning on the Tohono O'odham Indian Nation. The Mexican chopper fired at the agents and then flew back into Mexico. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, have mercy on us and cause the streams of lies, arrogance and self serving plots by the Mexican government to be exposed and stopped at the southern borders of the US. Protect the US border agents, who were fired upon, as it is neither acceptable nor legal for the Mexican government to do this. We pray this in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall." (Proverbs 16:18)
5. Benghazi suspect pleads not guilty in connection to terror attack - Fox News
Ahmed Abu Khatallah, the Libyan militant charged in the 2012 Benghazi attacks, pleaded not guilty Saturday afternoon in connection to the crime, during a brief first appearance before a U.S. federal judge. Khatallah, who walked into the D.C. courtroom wearing black sweatpants, a black sweatshirt and plastic slip-on sandals, spoke softly during the 10-minute hearing.
He replied "yes" when asked to swear to tell the truth and "no" when he was asked if he was having trouble understanding the proceeding. Khatallah wore headphones to listen to a translation of the hearing.
His court appointed lawyer, Michele Peterson, entered the not guilty plea to one count of providing material support to terrorists. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we pray for You to arise and counter all lies and deceptions that occur in this case. May Your truth alone arise and be heard so that justice may be achieved. We pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- "A fool's mouth is his destruction, and his lips are the snare of his soul."
6. Report: Israel, US prepared to help Jordan fight ISIS - Jerusalem Post
Israel and the US may be prepared to aid Jordan as the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) eyes the Jewish State's eastern neighbor, according to US officials quoted in a report by The Daily Beast on Saturday. US officials speaking under anonymity have speculated that if ISIS were to pursue a full-on assault on Jordan, the kingdom might not be able to repel the Islamists. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, may this report be correct and that the nation of Jordan will have allies from the US and Israel to counter the ISIS forces. We ask You to strike down and throw into chaos all attempts done by ISIS against Jordan and her neighbor, Israel. We pray in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- "Why do the nations rage, and the people plot a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord and against His Anointed, saying, 'Let us break Their bonds in pieces and cast away Their cords from us.' He who sits in the heavens shall laugh; the Lord shall hold them in derision." (Psalm 2:1-4)
7. Massive Blaze as Gaza Rocket Strikes Sderot Factory - Israel National News
Gaza terrorists fired two rockets on Israel on Saturday evening, hitting communities in the Sha'ar Hanegev Regional Council area to the immediate east of the Hamas-enclave. One rocket directly hit the "Denber" plastic factory in Sderot's industrial area, causing a large fire to break out. The factory is attached to a paint factory, and both appear to have caught fire. Four workers who were in the factory at the time it was struck by the rocket managed to rescue themselves, escaping from the blazing building, reports Walla!. The four were reportedly unharmed, and police continue to search if anyone remains trapped inside. (Read more)
- Abba Father, we ask mercy on this town and its people from the endless occurrences of missiles and rockets coming out of Gaza. We ask You, Abba Father, to protect Your people and special land by causing all these weapons to misfire or land where no damage is incurred. We ask this in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "But the Lord your God you shall fear; and He will deliver you from the hand of all your enemies." (2 Kings 17:39)
8. Iraqi Christians: 'US Must Act Now to Stop Religious Genocide' - Breitbart
One of the last Christian strongholds in Iraq came under attack this week, and its last remaining citizens are making a desperate plea to the United States for help.
Until this week, Qaraqosh was a town where Christians from other parts of Iraq could find refuge. But late Wednesday night, ISIS rebels started shelling Qaraqosh, provoking a mass exodus on Thursday. According to various reports, anywhere from 10,000 to 50,000 citizens have fled. The Syrian Catholic Archbishop of Mosul, Yohanna Petros Mouche, has remained behind with around 1,000 of the town's inhabitants who do not have cars or other means of leaving.?
Archbishop Mouche has been calling his friends in the United States asking for urgent help, including Bishop Yousif Benham Habash, the Syriac Catholic bishop of Our Lady of Deliverance, in Newark, New Jersey, who is from Qaraqosh. On Friday morning, June 27th, Archbishop Mouche called Joseph Kassab, a US-based advocate for Iraqi Christians, and told him, "We need something done right now. The people are frantic." The town is without water and electricity and all the businesses have been closed down. The Archbishop said they need immediate aid and relief, especially food and water. They also urgently need protection. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we pray that this desperate plea from these brothers and sisters in Christ is heard clearly by leaders in the US, and that aid and rescue will be forthcoming. We ask You, Father, to arise and confront whomever needs to be confronted with the full fear of You so that this plea is acted upon quickly, in Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "Let not a slanderer be established in the earth; let evil hunt the violent man to overthrow him. I know that the Lord will maintain the cause of the afflicted, and justice for the poor. Surely the righteous shall give thanks to Your name; the upright shall dwell in Your presence." (Psalm 140:11-13)
9. China's New Map Roils Diplomatic Waters in Region - YahooNews
China has roiled the diplomatic waters in the region by publishing a new map that lays claim to swaths of the South China Sea that encompass almost all of Southeast Asia. The map reinforces China's claim to islands that are disputed by Vietnam, the Philippines, Taiwan and Malaysia. The disputes have escalated in recent months to confrontations between Chinese and Vietnamese ships, water cannons and at least one ramming.
The new map is bound to court controversy because it is seen as an official statement that asserts the internationally disputed waters and islets are inherently part of China's national territory. The provincial level Hunan Map Press, the publisher of the new map, said in an online article this week that the new map more clearly portrays the disputed area as under Chinese sovereignty. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, this new map created by China is actually an act to claim land that is not theirs to claim. This is also an act of aggression against the other nations named in this report. We ask mercy, Father, and for You to abide in the midst of this new confrontation, extending Your right arm to settle down any further action before violence breaks out. We pray this in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "A man who isolates himself seeks his own desire; he rages against all wise judgment." (Proverbs 18:1)
10. World War I centennial: The Great War and its great and terrible consequences - Fox News
On June 28, 1914, a Bosnian-Serb student named Gavrilo Princip killed Austrian archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, the duchess. It was the shot-heard-round-the-world, unleashing a series of events that by August 1914 embroiled Europe in war. That deadly summer unfolded 100 years ago, and the world truly was never the same.
Civilization was soon engaged in a horrific conflict marred by mechanized warfare previously unimaginable: tanks, subs, battleships, air power, machine guns with names like "the Devil's paint brush," and legions of poison gas-the largest-scale use of chemical weapons in history. It was World War I, the "Great War." (Read more)
[As also reported on Saturday's Special Edition: One Hundred Years Ago Today"]
- Heavenly Father, we have arrived at an extremely tragic 100 year anniversary, where a youth inspired by twisted propaganda, shot and killed archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, the duchess. This action was used by other leaders to trigger a world war that eventually led to many tragic and deadly wars to follow. Forgive us, Father, for our human arrogance and violation of Your Biblical ways, and direct our repentance as we fall before You. We pray this in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "Before destruction the heart of a man is haughty, and before honor is humility." (Proverbs 18:12)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
""I am YHWH, I change not. Therefore you sons of Jacob are not destroyed." (Malachi 3:6)
For today's news out of Israel, we direct your attention to two resources:
1. The weekly prayer alert from Intercessors for Israel. Please go here.
2. This week's alert from Hebrew Nation News. Please go here.
Public Health Disaster Looms
Public Health Disaster Looms From Weak Immigration Enforcement
A major backlash is brewing over the topic of seemingly nonexistent border security in America's Southwest. By now most Americans are aware of the thousands of illegal immigrants pouring over the border unchecked on nearly a daily basis. While the mainstream media keeps the populace distracted with stories of the tens of thousands of unescorted children crossing Mexico and making their way over the border, what none of them are reporting is that this mass migration poses significant threats to public health in the U.S..
In the normal course of events, legal immigrants to the U.S. are required to undergo a battery of physical examinations in their home countries to assure they are not bringing strange communicable diseases into the U.S.. This is a health precaution established decades ago which helps keep the import of exotic, potentially deadly diseases to a minimum. Nearly every country in the world has these requirements and in most instances they are strictly followed.
Considering the unexplained border security policy of the U.S. government, not to mention that of the chief executives of each border state, public health officials across the U.S. are understandably worried.
As an example, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services reports that an unaccompanied child held within a detention facility at Lackland Air Force Base San Antonio, TX hs been diagnosed with swine flu, or H1N1. This is the same virus which was responsible for the 2009 global swine flu pandemic.
Included in the list of increasingly frequent diseases being encountered are chickenpox, resistant staph infections, multiple viruses, scabies, tuberculosis, leprosy, highly contagious forms of influenza and many more. (Threat Journal)
Please begin to make this issue a matter of ongoing, serious prayer. Only our Holy God can spare us from this looming disaster, for without His mercy, a pandemic of some sort (or more than one) lies ahead. Cry out to God for mercy in the midst of judgment, and thank Him that He is a merciful God who can, indeed, "heal all our diseases."
"He forgives all your sin; He heals all your diseases." (Psalm 103:3)
Hobby Lobby Decision Announced Today
Hobby Lobby Decision Announced Today:
"After Hobby Lobby, what's next?"
"In a few days, the Supreme Court will decide the Hobby Lobby case . . . . If [Hobby Lobby wins], what comes next? . . . The non-profit cases are about a year behind the for-profit cases in court. But after Hobby Lobby-win or lose-the Supreme Court will have to decide the fate of the Little Sisters and other non-profits. The Little Sisters of the Poor . . . spend their lives caring for the elderly poor. . . . Obviously, if the mandate violates the religious freedom of for-profit business owners, it must also violate the religious freedom of the non-profit Little Sisters-who receive no wages, take a vow of poverty, and spend their lives caring for the elderly poor.
A common-sense response after a victory for Hobby Lobby would be for the government to amend the mandate to exempt the Little Sisters and other non-profits. But don't hold your breath. The Obama administration has been fighting the Little Sisters tooth and nail for almost a year. . . . The Little Sisters is an order of women who have been serving the elderly poor with the same compassion and conviction for over 100 years. They are, like so many religious women, on the front lines of a Church Pope Francis refers to as a "field hospital." The government is now telling them that they must abandon their convictions or pay multi-million dollar fines, at a time in our nation's history when the elderly and the poor are often invisible. There is only one aggressor on the field in this struggle, and it is the government, which is waging a war on charity." (The Hill) Read more here.
> > > Look for our Special Edition tomorrow, focusing on this Supreme Court decision and its aftermath.
Lerner Targeted Republican Senator
Lerner Targeted Republican Senator
The IRS scandal took an explosive turn yesterday evening. In 2012, Lois Lerner accidently received an invitation to a charity event meant for Senator Charles Grassley (R-IA). Rather than politely return the invitation to its intended recipient or the charity, Lerner saw an opportunity to hurt another conservative, just like the Tea Party groups she punished.
The charity offered to pay for Senator Grassley's wife to attend the event as well. That "gift" would have to be reported as taxable income by the Grassleys and Lerner pounced.
According to a December 2012 email released by the House Ways and Means Committee, Lerner wrote a co-worker suggesting the IRS launch an audit against Sen. Grassley: "Looked like they were inappropriately offering to pay for his wife. Perhaps we should refer to Exam," Lerner wrote. Fortunately for Senator Grassley, her co-worker refused to go along with Lerner's fishing expedition.
Rep. Darrell Issa, chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, took the unusual step today of issuing a subpoena to the Federal Election Commission for 28 years of records. Why the FEC? Because that's where Lois Lerner began her career in the federal government. As you may recall, she played a critical role in harassing the Christian Coalition during the Clinton Administration.
We know Lerner has a well-established pattern of profiling conservative Tea Party groups and Christian ministries. Her hard drive mysteriously crashes and is destroyed. Now we find out she was trying to target a GOP senator too. No wonder she's pleading the Fifth. And Barack Obama has the audacity to insist there isn't even a "smidgen of corruption" at the IRS. (Gary Bauer; Thursday, 6/26/14)
Obama The Oblivious
Barack Obama left Washington and hit the campaign trail in Minnesota yesterday. During a town hall meeting, Obama tried to tap into the frustration most American feel toward the inaction in Washington. So, he told the audience:
"Sometimes the news that's coming on, these are just Washington fights. They are fabricated issues, they are phony scandals that are generated. It's all geared towards the next election, or ginning up a base. It's not on the level. And that must feel frustrating, and it makes people cynical and it makes people turned off from the idea that anything can get done."
Phony scandals? There are only two scandals in the news right now -- the VA scandal and the IRS scandal. Which one of these scandals does Obama think is phony: Dead vets or IRS harassment of conservatives?
Obama's lies are losing their power. The American people do not think these are "phony scandals."
More than two-thirds of Americans are "closely following" the VA scandal and 63% disapprove of the way Obama is handling it. As we reported Wednesday, 76% of voters (including nearly two-thirds of Democrats) believe that Lois Lerner's emails were deliberately destroyed to cover-up potential wrongdoing, and 74% of voters believe that Congress should continue investigating the IRS "until someone is held accountable."
Even former Clinton White House Counsel Lanny Davis thinks it is time for a special prosecutor.
There is a growing crisis of confidence in this administration. But by dismissing as "phony" the very real concerns of the American people, Obama is only fueling their frustration.
By the way, Johnnie Walters passed away this week. Most folks probably have no idea who he was. But the Washington Post ran his obituary today and reminded readers that Mr. Walters served as IRS commissioner from 1971 to 1973. During that time, he steadfastly refused to target Richard Nixon's enemies, in spite of intense pressure from the Nixon White House.
Last year, Johnnie Walters said, "I'm distressed at what's happening and particularly with the IRS. IRS must be run nonpolitical. Our tax system otherwise will fail."
Update: Obama's LGBT E.O.
Faith-Based Organizations Reply To Obama's LGBT Executive Order
USCCB Chairmen Concerned about Reported Executive Order
"The enduring commitment of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops to uphold the dignity of each and every human person impels us to oppose unjust discrimination, to proclaim the truth about marriage, and to protect religious freedom. Therefore, we view with great concern the reported intention of the President of the United States to issue an executive order forbidding what the Administration considers "discrimination" based on "sexual orientation" and "gender identity." Because we do not know how the executive order will define these critically important terms, or if it will provide sufficient (or any) religious freedom protection, we cannot provide substantive comment on the order. On the other hand, when the U.S. Senate recently passed legislation on the same topic, we raised detailed objections to that legislation, and we would refer interested parties to those resources to identify the applicable principles. We say again now, as we said in connection with the Senate bill and have said many times before, that we oppose any unjust discrimination against any person on any grounds. We intend to review the details of the executive order carefully once it is available, in order to assess whether it serves the dignity of the human person and the common good.'" (Read more)
Faith Group Leaders to Obama:
Protect Religious Freedom in LGBT Workplace Discrimination Order
"A group of about 140 religious leaders and religious freedom advocates signed a letter to President Barack Obama asking him to include an exemption for faith-based groups in his pending executive order protecting LGBT government contract workers from discrimination. Religious organizations contract with the federal government to provide vital services, the letter points out, such as overseas relief and development with USAID, prison programs for the Bureau of Prisons, and research, services and technical assistance for numerous other federal government departments. Many of these religious organizations require their staff to agree to a set of religious beliefs and maintain conduct consistent with those beliefs. . . . 'These organizations often are the best-qualified applicants for federal contracts or subcontracts,' the letter states. 'It would be counterproductive to bar them from offering their services to the federal government simply because of their legally protected religious convictions; it would be wrong to require them to violate those legally protected convictions in order to be eligible to receive federal contracts. Their exclusion from federal contracting would be diametrically opposed to the Administration's commitment to having 'all hands on deck' in the fight against poverty and other dire social problems.' The letter clarifies that there is not agreement among the signers on whether there should be such an executive order, but there is agreement among all the signers, which include liberals and conservatives, that if Obama does issue the order, there should be an exemption for religious organizations." (Christian Post) Read more here.
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Bad News for Atheists: Scientists Say Universe Shouldn't Exist
if Big Bang Is True
"The Higgs boson particle probably does exist. God upholds the creation with the power of His word, and I think this is just a humanly seen manifestation of that." -Dr. Danny Faulkner, Answers in Genesis
New research bears bad news for the Big Bang theory of the universe's origin.
Scientists at King's College in London have found that the current model of the Big Bang would have resulted in a universe that collapsed soon after its formation.
According to the researchers, the rapid cosmic expansion physicists would expect to see after the Big Bang would have caused a good bit of turbulence-a situation worsened, not helped, by the so-called "God particle."
This "God particle," the Higgs boson, should have crushed our universe, shifting it into a lower energy field in which collapse would have been inevitable.
While it is doubtful astrophysicists will discard the Big Bang model, it might suffer a worse fate: the death of a thousand qualifications.
"When we hear the term Big Bang theory, many people assume it was conceived in its present form and has remained unassailed ever since. In reality, it is a very pliable model," wrote Answers in Genesis scientist Dr. Danny Faulkner in September 2013. "Several assumed variables in the equations have been changed to make the numbers match new findings. Today's Big Bang model little resembles the one your grandfather learned, and it is likely to continue morphing." (Charisma News and Breaking Christian News) Read more here.
Signs and Wonders
Signs and Wonders:
NASA successfully tests 'flying saucer' vehicle
After several weather delays, NASA successfully launched and recovered a "flying saucer" into Earth's atmosphere Saturday to test technology that could be used to land on Mars. (USA Today) Read more.
"And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near."
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
Speak the Name that has no fear,
speak the Name that draws us near
Speak the Name to be revered and treasured
Speak the Name that saves the soul,
Speak the Name that makes you whole
Speak the Name that holds the worlds together
Yeshua no other Name that I hold above all othersSpeak the Name that is our peace, even for a dying thief
Yeshua You are the same yesterday, today and forever
Forever - let me speak Your Name
Yeshua You are the same yesterday, today and forever
Forever - let me speak Your Name
On a cross to know he'd be remembered
Speak the Name that holds the power, even in that final hour
Heaven waits for those who will surrender
Yeshua no other Name - that I hold above all others
Yeshua You are the same - yesterday, today and forever
Forever - let me speak Your Name
Yeshua no other Name that I hold above all others
Yeshua You are the same yesterday, today and forever
Let me speak your name
Let me speak your name
YESHUA: Prince of Life, Prince of Peace, King who holds Eternity
Son of God, Son of Man, the Lamb of God, the Great I AM
Beautiful, Wonderful, Faithful, Lord of All - Mighty God,
Holy One, Messiah, Hope of Zion
Creator, Healer, Savior, Redeemer,
The LORD of lords and KING of kings,
The Promised and soon coming . . .
Jesus, Yeshua . . . Jesus . . .Yeshua
WORSHIP THE LORD HERE.