Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief
"Praying for All in Authority"
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
"Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you?"
Please visit the website for the International Christian Concern to find ongoing needs for prayer among the persecuted around the world. Thank you.
The Daily Brief
1. Two U.S. health workers ill after MERS exposure - Reuters
Two health workers at a Florida hospital exposed to a patient with Middle East Respiratory Syndrome have begun showing flu-like symptoms, raising concerns about the ability of global health authorities to contain the mysterious and deadly virus. (Read more)
- Could it be that the MERS virus will turn out to be one of the end-time plagues spoken of in Scripture? We pray not . . . Lift up the researchers who are desperately trying to find a vaccine that would eliminate the MERS virus, and pray for the protection of all who might come in contact with anyone who has this fatal disease. Pray!
- "Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it." (John 14:13-15)
2. Over $5 Billion and Counting for Obamacare Websites - Fiscal Times
A handful of state-run exchange websites -- which cost nearly half a billion dollars to build -- still don't work, nearly seven months after they first went live. (Read more)
- Step by step, day by day, the lie that is Obamacare is being exposed. Continue to come against this program in prayer, and ask our Lord to please restore what the locust has eaten in the lives of those who have been "taken in" by this lie. In His Name, amen.
- "The LORD says, "I will give you back what you lost to the swarming locusts, the hopping locusts, the stripping locusts, and the cutting locusts." (Joel 2:25 NLT)
3. IRS is still paying billions in bogus tax credits to the poor - Washington Times
The IRS is still paying more than $10 billion a year in bogus payments to the poor under the Earned Income Tax Credit, the agency's auditor said in a new report released Tuesday that says about a quarter of all payments are improper. (Read more)
- Offer praise that this corruption has been exposed and ask that measures be taken to hold those accountable for their violation of our national trust. We ask You, Lord, to cause this theft to come to an end. In Jesus' Name, amen.
- "'This far and no farther will you come. Here your proud waves must stop!'"
4. Tea Party bounces back with Tuesday wins - but can it last? - The Hill
National Tea Party groups breathed a sigh of relief after two much-needed primary wins. The Senate Conservatives Fund, Madison Project and Citizens United all trumpeted Midland University President Ben Sasse's nomination in the Nebraska Republican Senate primary and former Maryland GOP Chairman Alex Mooney's nomination for West Virginia's 2nd District as a product of the conservative movement triumphing over the establishment. (Read more)
- [We repeat the words of Cindy Jacobs, quoted yesterday] "Although it may not come with the publicity and excitement of a presidential election, this year's midterm electoral cycle carries the potential to shift the political arena in a dramatic way. . . The truth is that our nation is in desperate need of godly leadership who will lead and govern the United States according to biblical principles and moral values rather than personal gain or ungodly agendas. . . In order to ensure this, we as the Body of Christ must make a responsible effort to steward our nation by electing our governing authorities. We will play a key part in establishing righteousness in our nation!"
> > > Lift up the voters in our nation, asking our Lord to direct their hearts towards righteousness when they go to the polls. In Christ, the destiny of our nation rests with us. Amen.
- "When the godly are in authority, the people rejoice. But when the wicked are in power, they groan." (Proverbs 29:2 NLT)
5. Intel: Iran Sending Chlorine Bombs to Syria - Washington Free Beacon
Reports that Iran is sending chlorine bombs to Syria have prompted lawmakers to criticize the Obama administration for ignoring Iran's non-nuclear efforts to foster terrorism and discord across the Middle East. (Read more)
- Pray in the Spirit over this report, asking our Lord to move upon the hearts of our own leaders to take the necessary action against Iran's terrorist government in light of this new intelligence. Pray!
- "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people."
6. European court says Google must amend some search results when asked - Fox News
In a landmark ruling that could rock the Internet search-engine industry, Europe's highest court said Tuesday that people are entitled to some control over what pops up when their name is Googled. This ruling will allow them to delete sensitive information from Google's search results. (Read more)
- Offer praise unto the Lord for this decision, that has come out of a high court in Europe. Praise God.
- "The LORD is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him." (Exodus 15:2)
7. Immense Explosion in Iran May Have Nuclear Origins - Israel National News
An immense explosion has been heard throughout the northern Iranian city of Qazvin, semi-official Fars news agency reported, and many casualties are expected from the blast. Around 1.1 million people live in the city, which is located about 100 miles north of Tehran. The blast may be related to nuclear development in Iran. (Read more)
- The mainstream media in our nation is not yet reporting this news, which must be heard. Pray over this report, as sited, asking that all hidden facts about this incident be revealed. If this was, indeed, a nuclear accident, pray for the supernatural protection of Almighty God to rest upon those who may be affected. Pray!
- "For there is nothing hidden which will not be revealed, nor has anything been kept secret but that it should come to light." (Mark 4:22)
8. U.S. Special Forces heading to Nigeria, training troops to 'take the fight to Boko Haram' - Washington Times
U.S. Special Forces are heading to Nigeria to train its troops on ways to neutralize the Islamist group Boko Haram. (Read more)
- Thank You, Lord, for this action being taken by our own government against these terrorists in Nigeria. We continue to pray that all the girls who were kidnapped be found, and that future threats to repeat this action be of no effect. In Jesus' Name, amen.
- "Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven." (Matthew 18:19)
9. Feds released hundreds of immigrant murderers, drunk drivers, sex-crimes convicts - Washingtonn Times
Immigration officials knowingly released dozens of murderers and thousands of drunken drivers back into the U.S. in 2013, according to Obama administration statistics that could undercut the president's argument that he is trying to focus on the most serious criminals in his immigration enforcement. (Read more)
- Father God, we ask You to yet have mercy upon our nation, even as we have come before You with prayers, fastings, and repentance for our sin as a people. Only Your angelic host can now protect each of us from these criminals who are now roaming our streets. Our hope must now rest in You, and in You alone, amen.
- ". . . judgment is turned away backward, and justice stands afar off: for truth is fallen in the street, and equity cannot enter." (Isaiah 59:14)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." (Isaiah 40:31)
1. Palestinians: Hamas-Fatah unity government to be announced by end of month - Jerusalem Post
The new PA unity government will be announced before the end of May, Palestinian sources said on Monday.
2. Netanyahu: If Fatah-Hamas unity deal signed, we'll hold Abbas responsible for every rocket - Jerusalem Post
Israel will hold Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas responsible for every rocket fired on it from Gaza if he goes through with his national unity pact with Hamas, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said on Tuesday.
3. Ehud Olmert sentenced to six years in prison, NIS 1m. fine - Times of Israel
Former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert was sentenced to six years in prison, a two-year suspended term, and a fine of NIS 1 million ($289,000) in the Tel Aviv District Court on Tuesday, with the judge issuing a scathing rebuke of the former prime minister.
4. EU backs Palestinian unity for 'democratic culture' - Times of Israel
The European Union still views Hamas as a terrorist organization but supports the group's inclusion in a Palestinian unity government to advance a "democratic culture" in Palestinian society, the EU's envoy to Israel said Tuesday.
The Daily Jot
Another day, another lie
The president Tuesday addressed law enforcement officials at the White House, saying that amnesty for illegal aliens is "the right thing to do for our safety and security." As reported by the Weekly Standard, he said, "Our broken immigration system makes it harder for our law enforcement agencies to do their job." This, against the backdrop of a Monday report issued by the Center for Immigration Studies saying the president's Immigration and Customs Enforcement released 36,007 criminal aliens last year while they were awaiting deportation hearings. Among them were those convicted of murder, rape, kidnapping and assault. It's the president's system that is a threat to safety and security.
CBS News reported that Director of Policy Studies for the Center for Immigration Studies, Jennifer Vaughn, said, that "despite professions of a focus on removal of criminal aliens", the administration policies "frequently have allowed political considerations to trump public safety factors and, as a result, aliens with serious criminal convictions have been allowed to return to the streets instead of being removed to their home countries." No joke. The 36,007 individuals represented nearly 88,000 convictions, including: 193 homicides; 226 sexual assaults; 303 kidnappings; 1.075 aggravated assaults; 1,160 stolen vehicles; 9,187 dangerous drugs; 16,070 drunk or drugged driving--these are convictions, not mere charges!
These figures coincide with our government's historical records. The Washington Post reported in August 2013 that Justice Department statistics indicate the cost of incarceration in the US was $80 billion in 2010. The US population increased by about a third since 1980, but the federal prison population has grown by about 800 percent. Interesting that these statistics track with 2009 criminal illegal aliens in federal prisons increasing 7 percent since 2005 and a 35 percent increase in state and local jails since 2003. GAO estimates that illegal aliens had an average of 7 arrests, primarily for immigration and drug offenses, costing $1.6 billion a year from 2005 through 2009 (latest statistics available).
Somewhere along the line, we as Christian Americans need to stand up for the truth and call a lie a lie and a liar, a liar. This president is making statements, not only on illegal aliens, but on many subjects, that defy common sense, discernment and even truth. In fact, he often is telling the exact opposite of truth and passing it off as a common known fact. We need to call him and the rest of the politicians of both parties who practice this propaganda what they are: liars. Our leaders live in an Isaiah 59:14 world, where "judgment is turned away backward, and justice stands afar off: for truth is fallen in the street, and equity cannot enter." You know, we have a voice; we have a say. We need to use it.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Gay "Rights" in the News
Gay "Rights" in the News
1. Gay Rights Don't Compare to Civil Rights, Say 100 African-American Pastors - Charisma News
"To state that marriage redefinition is in any way similar to the civil rights movement is intellectually empty, dishonest and manufactured," says minister Stacy Swimp, founder of Revive Alive Missional Ministry. "When has anyone from the LGBT demographic ever been publicly lynched, specifically excluded from moving into neighborhoods, prohibited from sitting on a jury and denied the right to sue others because of their sexual preferences?" (Read more)
2. Judge Strikes Down Idaho's Same-Sex Marriage Ban - TIME
A federal magistrate judge ruled Tuesday that Idaho's ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional. (Read more)
3. Alaska's Same-Sex Marriage Ban Challenged - TIME
Five same-sex couples filed a lawsuit Monday that challenges Alaska's ban on gay marriage as unconstitutional. (Read more)
VA Scandal and Obamacare
VA Scandal A Preview Of Obamacare's Future
Everyone should be paying attention to the VA scandal. Not only is the disgraceful treatment of our veterans a national outrage, but it offers us a potential glimpse into the future of Obamacare.
Dr. Richard Krugman, the former associate chief of staff at the Veterans Affairs health care system in Harlingen, Texas, is among the growing number of whistleblowers at VA facilities to allege that poor treatment led to unnecessary deaths. Dr. Krugman specifically cited a cost-cutting policy limiting colonoscopies.
"By the time that you do the colonoscopies on these patients, you went from a stage 1 to a stage 4 [colorectal cancer], which is basically inoperable," Dr. Krugman told the Washington Examiner. "That was done because of dollars and cents. For the VA, they have to be bleeding out of their rectum before they would authorize a colonoscopy. That was the standard of care."
The VA was rationing the health care of our heroes.
If a private insurance company denies a procedure, there are multiple options to address the situation -- from the appeals process to public pressure. But as anyone who has had the misfortune of dealing with the IRS knows, it's an entirely different situation when you are dealing with the government bureaucracy.
As the government takes over more and more of our health care industry and as the debt grows and resources become scarce, it is easy to see how the problems that now plague the VA will only grow and affect us all. (Gary Bauer)
"Atheist Chaplains" in the Navy
Navy Goes Overboard with Atheist Chaplains
If there aren't atheists in foxholes, why do we need atheist chaplains? Good question -- one Rep. John Fleming (R-La.) is trying to get to the bottom of. Like most conservatives, he thought the push for non-spiritual spiritual leaders died in 2013 along with the House measure trying to create it. But after failing legislatively, the Military Association of Atheists and Free Thinkers (MAFT) is taking a different tact.
Yesterday, in a meeting with Navy officials (MAFT), the organization will try to persuade at least one military branch of the need to give atheists their own pulpit. "We're only finding out about this now," Rep. Fleming told Fox News. "We just don't see any avenue [for this to work], but you know, we've been surprised before by the military." If the organization succeeds, Jason Torpy, its president, would be the first non-believing chaplain -- an "oxymoron," as far as Rep. Fleming is concerned.
Of course, the fact that the Navy is even entertaining the idea of creating non-faith faith leaders is a sign of how absurd this debate about religious liberty has become. By definition, a chaplain's duties are to offer prayer, spiritual counseling, and religious instruction. If that doesn't disqualify a non-believer, I'm not sure what would! In reality, what secularists are angling for is a position of greater influence. If the military were to expand the chaplaincy to atheists, it would give anti-Christian extremists an even greater opportunity to sanitize the military -- this time, from inside the chaplain corps. Let's hope the Navy sees through this ridiculous ploy and torpedoes it before MAFT does real damage. (Family Research Council)
NYT: A friend of terrorists?
The New York Times: Making the world safe for terrorism
On the front page of Sunday's New York Times was an hysterical article charging the New York Police Department with trampling Muslim civil rights by trying to recruit Muslims who had been arrested on other charges to be informants. The headline screamed "New York Police Recruit Muslims as Informants on Terrorism" and proceeded to "expose" the "profiling of Muslims" by the NYPD to serve as potential informants from within their communities. Reporter Joseph Goldstein interviewed people who had been questioned by police and found the exercise "coercive."
NYPD records show "that religion had become a normal topic of police inquiry in the city's holding cells and lockup facilities," the story said. Police reports noted which mosque a suspect attended or whether he "had made a pilgrimage to Mecca." The story did not say why this is inherently problematic and how this differs from policing on everything from drug peddling to organized crime. But its appearance on Sunday's front page -- on the right column above the fold -- tells readers that this is a big deal.
The article implied that Muslims were being singled out by law-enforcement officials because of their religion, and that they were asked invasive and improper questions about their religion.
Freedom of the press is limited to those who own it, H.L. Mencken once said, an axiom that The Times has demonstrated repeatedly by routinely deprecating the threat of "Islamic terrorism" in the United States. For years, The Times has blindly pursued an agenda that coincides with the same agenda of radical Islamic groups masquerading as "civil rights" groups in trying to prove that Islamic terrorists were unfairly convicted and framed.
Ignoring the facts about U.S. law enforcement techniques that apply to all members of divergent ethnic and religious groups to collect intelligence, Goldstein reported on what he presented as the improper questioning of Muslims held in jails. Amazingly, the paper did not question at all the credibility of the allegations perpetrated by those he interviewed, all of whom had been arrested and jailed for violating laws, including an NYPD sergeant convicted of perjury in the fabricated hunt for scoundrels in the NYPD.
As part of the paranoid Times narrative, the reporter portrayed as unethical and racist the tried and proven law-enforcement technique of recruiting informants among different ethnic population pools. The same tactic is applied in the fight against illegal gangs, druggies, and criminal organizations: street gangs, Mexican drug cartels, Japanese yakuza gangs, Italian mafia, etc. Recruiting members of different ethnic and racial groups to infiltrate gangs and criminals has been a successful, legal and proven technique of collecting vital intelligence by law-enforcement officials across the country.
(Source: Investigative Project on Terrorism) Read more here.
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
'Under God' in Pledge of Allegiance Upheld Unanimously
by Massachusetts' Highest Court
"For those who have been attacking the Pledge we would offer this: our system protects their right to remain silent, but it doesn't give them a right to silence others."
[Last week], Massachusetts' highest court, the Supreme Judicial Court, unanimously rejected the latest lawsuit challenging the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, ensuring that Massachusetts schoolchildren may continue reciting the Pledge in full each morning. The American Humanist Association, an atheist advocacy group, sought to overturn the Pledge in the lawsuit, claiming that the words "under God" were unconstitutional. Local Massachusetts schoolchildren, their parents, and the Knights of Columbus intervened in the lawsuit to defend the Pledge.
"Today the Court affirmed what should have been obvious-'God' is not a dirty word," said Eric Rassbach, Deputy General Counsel at the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, who argued the case before the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court. "And it isn't discriminatory either. The words 'under God' are a reminder to our children that government doesn't give us our rights and it can't take them away either. Preserving the Pledge protects the rights of every American."
This is the Becket Fund's fourth win in court protecting "under God" from attack. Last year, after Middlesex Superior Court Judge Jane Haggerty ruled in favor of the Pledge, the American Humanist Association appealed her decision to Massachusetts' highest court. Oral arguments were held on September 4, 2013.
The unanimous Court rejected the American Humanist Association's argument that recitation of the Pledge discriminates against atheist schoolchildren. Stating that recitation of the Pledge is completely optional, the Court ruled that no child must be silenced from reaffirming timeless American ideals because others disagree. Chief Justice Roderick Ireland, writing for the unanimous court, stated "Here there is no discriminatory classification for purposes of art. 106-no differing treatment of any class or classes of students based on their sex, race, color, creed, or national origin. All students are treated alike."
"For those who have been attacking the Pledge we would offer this: our system protects their right to remain silent, but it doesn't give them a right to silence others." Rassbach added.
UPDATE: The following statement can be attributed to Dan and Ingrid Joyce of Acton, Massachusetts, who along with their children, are parties in the case:
"We are very happy with the Court's decision today. We believe that the Pledge represents all Americans and we think the Court's decision respects the wonderful diversity we have in our society.
We are proud of the ideals that the Pledge espouses, and we hope to continue contributing to our community in ways that will help make this nation the country that our Founders envisioned: One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." (Becket Fund) Read more here.
Signs and Wonders
Signs and Wonders:
Newly-discovered active volcano could erupt underneath ice in Antarctica
and add to effects of global warming, say scientists
Discovery: A newly-discovered active volcano could erupt underneath Antarctica, melting the ice from below.
Researchers discovered the volcano underneath the ice after setting up devices to measure tectonic activity across Marie Byrd Land in the west of the continent. Scientists had intended to use the seismograph machines to help in their efforts to weight the ice sheet - only to find that a volcano was in fact forming underneath the ice. (Dailymail.co.uk)
(Read more here.)
"And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near."
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
"Train My Hands For War" - Carolyn Hyde