Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief
"Praying for All in Authority"
Thursday, May 8, 2014
"May the nations be glad and sing for joy, for you rule the peoples with equity and guide the nations of the earth." (Psalm 67:4)
> > > Please enjoy this abbreviated edition of today's Brief. Thank you!
Thank you for praying for the Persecuted Church!
Please visit the website for the International Christian Concern to find ongoing needs for prayer among the persecuted around the world. Thank you.
The Daily Brief
1. Trey Gowdy threatened with harm - Fox News
Capitol Police kick off 'active, open investigation'
Capitol Hill police are investigating emailed threats to Rep. Trey Gowdy, the South Carolina congressman tabbed to head a special panel to probe the White House's response to the Benghazi terrorist attacks. Politico reporters and journalists at other news outlets say they've received at least two emails that threaten harm to Mr. Gowdy due directly to his leading role on the panel. Capitol Police refused to comment on the actual threats, except to say that "an active, open investigation" has been launched, Politico reported. (Read more)
- Lord, we surround Mr. Gowdy with Your Holy Spirit, and a hedge of fire. We stand in the gap for him and declare that no weapon formed against him shall prosper.
- "No weapon formed against you shall prosper, and every tongue that rises against you in judgment you shall condemn" (Isaiah 54:17a,b)
2. Search for Nigerian Girls Receives Global Support - CBN News
The United States and other governments around the world are offering to partner with Nigeria in its efforts to locate the hundreds of school girls kidnapped three weeks ago by the Muslim terrorist group Boko Haram.
- Father, we pray that You lead rescuers to these girls quickly.
- "Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish." (Matthew 18:14)
3. Hamas Sends Israel Chilling Video-BreakingIsraelNews
Israelis and Jews around the world were not the only ones taking part in Israel's Independence Day celebrations. Not one to let an opportunity go by, Hamas released a video in honor of Israel's 66th birthday, issuing their own birthday greetings to the state of Israel.
The Gaza-based terrorist organization created their own cover of the Hatikvah ("The Hope"), Israel's national anthem. Titled "Sof Hatikvah" ("The End of Hope") and sung entirely in rhyme in Hebrew, the video renewed previous threats made by Hamas including promises that Israelis would soon be driven out of the land of Israel.
- Lord, in light of the unification of Hamas and the PLO, we once again lift Your nation Israel before you. We ask that You continue to preserve her according to Your Word.
- "But upon Mount Zion shall be deliverance, and there shall be holiness; and the house of Jacob shall possess their possessions." (Obadiah 17)
4. Harvard Will Host 'Reenactment' of Satanic Mass - CNS News
A Satanic Black Mass reenactment is scheduled to take place at the Queen's Head Pub in Memorial Hall at Harvard University on May 12, with the Mass performed by The Satanic Temple, which is being hosted for the event by the Harvard Extension Cultural Studies Club.
- Father, we pray against this intended reenactment and bind up all the forces of darkness that have planned it. Harvard was once a Christian college, so we call on You to rise up and preserve Your Name.
- "Extol Him that rides upon the heavens by His Name JAH, and rejoice before Him" (Psalm 68:4b)
5. Obama court nominee wrote memos justifying drone strikes on U.S. citizens - Washington Times
Harvard Law School scholar David Barron is an Obama administration nominee for a federal appeals court. He is also the author of government memos that make legal justifications for killing U.S. citizens overseas with drone strikes, which is why his selection to the U.S. First Circuit Court of Appeals has been delayed.
- Lord, we pray the Your will be done with this nomination, that You will preserve us from someone who has already made up their mind against the American people.
- "But verily God has heard me; He has attended to the voice of my prayer" (Psalm 67:19)
6. FEC chair warns that conservative media like Drudge Report and Sean Hannity face regulation -- like PACs - Washington Examiner
Government officials, reacting to the growing voice of conservative news outlets, especially on the internet, are angling to curtail the media's exemption from federal election laws governing political organizations, a potentially chilling intervention that the chairman of the Federal Election Commission is vowing to fight.
- Lord, we ask that You preserve freedom of the Press in America, and not allow this regulation to move forward.
- "And He shall bring upon them their own iniquity, and shall cut them off in their own wickedness" (Psalm 94:23)
7. House votes to hold Lerner in contempt of Congress - Fox News
The House of Representatives voted Wednesday to hold former IRS official Lois Lerner in contempt of Congress for refusing to testify about the agency's targeting of conservative groups.
- Thank you, Father for this small victory, and we pray that you will bring justice to the wrongdoers in our government. Touch her heart and bring softness and repentance to her life.
- "For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved."(John 3:17)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Though an army may encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; Though war may rise against me, in this I will be confident." (Psalm 27:1,3)
1. Hamas executes two men in Gaza as spies for Israel - Jerusalem Post
Two Palestinians were executed in the Gaza Strip on Wednesday as Israeli spies, the enclave's Islamist Hamas government said, adding they had helped the Jewish state's armed forces carry out lethal operations.
2. Top US officials to Israel for session on possible Iran deal - Jerusalem Post
In a warm-up for their latest round of talks in Vienna next week with other world powers and Iran over its nuclear program, top American officials will travel to Israel on Wednesday to brief their chief regional ally on the progress of the negotiations.
3. Top Netanyahu aide: Here's proof Abbas deliberately destroyed peace talks - Times of Israel
A letter reportedly sent by Israel's national security chief to the White House, the EU and numerous ambassadors blames the Palestinians for the collapse of peace talks, and claims to include hard proof that PA officials were devising measures to thwart the process even before Israel refused to release a fourth round of Palestinian prisoners at the end of March.
4. Poll: 68% of Israeli Jews Support End to Peace Talks - Arutz Sheva
A large majority of the Jewish public in Israel (68%) support the government's decision to halt peace talks with the Palestinian Authority (PA) following its unity pact with Hamas, a poll revealed Wednesday.
5. In key vote, Netanyahu quells Likud insurgency - Times of Israel
A months-long struggle for control of the Likud may have finally come to an end Wednesday as the party's key decision-making body approved a compromise between party leader Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his would-be challenger, Deputy Defense Minister Danny Danon. The agreement leaves Netanyahu emphatically in charge of the ruling party's political machinery.
6. Top Egyptian official: Hamas must recognize Israel - Times of Israel
Hamas must recognize the existence of Israel if the Palestinians are to move forward with their hopes of establishing their own state, former Egyptian foreign minister Amr Moussa said Wednesday.
The Daily Jot
The Washington Times reports that an investigation by the House Ways and Means Committee documented that the IRS not only targeted conservative groups, but also some 10 percent of those groups' donors were audited in the dragnet. This in the wake of official denials by the IRS to Congress that TEA Party groups were being singled out and audited. Congressman Charles Boustany, Jr., (R-La) said, "The committee uncovered new information indicating that after groups provided the information to the IRS, nearly one in 10 donors were subject to audit." These findings are further proof that the IRS was used by the White House and the Democratic Party apparatus to strong arm political foes.
The House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform voted April 29 to recommend the full House hold former IRS chief Lois Lerner in contempt of congress for refusing to testify about the IRS targeting. If the entire House holds Lerner in contempt, she could face jail time. Lerner, however, would seem a small sacrificial lamb for an entire Administration and Democratic Party members who used the unconstitutional agency to target those who disagree with their president and/or their incumbent Democratic candidates. A small slap on the wrist for a major breech in public trust and an abuse of power. The IRS is one of few "agencies" where citizens are guilty until they prove their innocence.
Yet at a Hollywood fundraiser Wednesday, the occupant of the Oval Office made a case to supporters that the government needed even more power. He warned a group of 90 leftist stars at the home of Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn against apathy in midterm elections which may prove difficult for Democrats where "people who have the most at stake in a government that works opt out of the system; those who don't believe government can do anything are empowered; gridlock reigns, and we got this downward spiral of even more cynicism and more dysfunction. And we have to break out of that cycle and that's what this election all about."
In other words, this election is not about cleaning up the corruption of his Administration, but rather giving it more power to do more of what he has done. In a sense, he is right. We do have to break out of the cycle, but it is one of expanded government and tyrannical power. When a free people's rights are oppressed by the tyranny of their government, and the ones entrusted with protecting those rights are lax in their duty, changes must be made. Exodus 18:21 gives the formula for choosing good leaders: "Moreover thou shalt provide out of all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness; and place such over them..." This advice has no mention of political parties or tyrannical agencies.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
"How He Loves Us" - Instrumental