Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief
"Praying for All in Authority"
Friday, May 16, 2014
"Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you?"
Please visit the website for the International Christian Concern to find ongoing needs for prayer among the persecuted around the world. Thank you.
The Daily Brief
1. 'Unprecedented' wildfires in California; first arson charge filed - CNN
San Marcos, California (CNN) -- Firefighters in San Diego County continued their four-day assault Friday against several wildfires that so far have scorched 31 square miles. Meanwhile, investigators filed an arson charge in one small fire in the county. . . In all, 176,000 notices of evacuation were sent throughout San Diego County via cell phone calls, e-mails, text messages and landline calls to homes and businesses, county Supervisor Dianne Jacob said. (Read more)
- We thank the Lord tonight that the winds have now shifted away from these fires and that the cooler, moist air from the Pacific Ocean prevails over this disaster zone. Continue to pray for strength for those who are fighting these fires, and grace and provision for those who are losing their homes. We ask our Lord to show us His mercy, in His Name, amen.
- The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!" (Matthew 8:27)
2. California's burning - and half the US is now in drought- New Scientist
If you live in the US, there is a 50 per cent chance your area is abnormally dry. According to the National Drought Monitor, half of the country is now in some level of drought, and almost 15 per cent is in "extreme or exceptional" drought. The sustained dry spell may explain why wildfires have broken out earlier than expected in California. The US has been suffering a series of droughts since 2010, with south-west states like Texas often bearing the brunt. In the last year, California has succumbed to perhaps the worst dry spell in its history. Firefighters have beaten back parts of the nine blazes raging in southern California, allowing thousands of displaced locals to return to the area. But a flare-up of a wildfire in San Marcos prompted more than 13,000 new evacuation notices to residents. The fires have destroyed at least 18 houses and two businesses and caused more than $20m in damage.
- Lord, we come to You asking You to reveal the cause of these fires, and if it is arson that the culprits who lit these fires will be apprehended. We also ask for relief from the drought conditions that are contributing to this devastation. We pray Your comfort be upon all those who have lost property and/or loved ones. O Lord, we submit ourselves to You, and ask for Your mercy to be upon us, and that You would heal our Land.
- "And I will grant mercy to you, that he may have mercy on you and permit you to remain in your own land." (Jeremiah 42:12)
3. Obama eyes executive order to halt deportations - World Net Daily
WASHINGTON (AP) - President Barack Obama's new homeland security secretary is offering his first public hints at executive action the administration might take on immigration, suggesting changes to a much-criticized program that runs the names of people booked for local crimes through a federal immigration database. (Read more)
- Abba, we again come to You asking that all of these "executive orders" be stopped, and that we return to having a democratic system of government with checks and balances in place. We ask that Congress will do its job of "reining in" this rogue president, who triumphantly declares that he goes "around" Congress to get what he wants. O Lord, we ask You to have an "Executive meeting" Yourself with this man, and may he be wise enough to humble himself before You, we pray, Amen.
- "Our God! Won't You execute judgment against them? For we haven't strength enough to defeat this huge horde coming against us, and we don't know what to do, but our eyes are on You." (2 Chronicles 20:12)
4. Critics Question Obama Doctrine - VOA
President Barack Obama's foreign policy has come under criticism, not just from Republican lawmakers and conservative pundits, but also from centrists who accuse the president of taking an approach they describe as unclear, weak, and isolationist. Others say the president's strategy is in line with American public opinion, which has been shaped by a more than a decade of war. With Russian-backed forces overrunning parts of Ukraine despite U.S. sanctions, Syria and Egypt in turmoil, China asserting territorial claims, and the Israeli Palestinian peace process stuck, President Obama's policies overseas are under attack. (Read more)
- Lord, we commit this whole issue to You to sort out. You know the hearts and minds of all mankind, and You know the intents and motivations of every heart. We do pray, again, that You would confront our president, and he would yield to You, and bow his knee before You, and accept You as his Redeemer! We know this is Your will, and we are in agreement with You that he would respond favorably to Your wooing Holy Spirit. We do bind up a spirit of lawlessness, lust for power, and lust for money, from all our government officials, and all of their staffs. We pray for these men and women, whom You love and died for. We ask that You do a new thing in their hearts, we pray, Amen.
- "Lord, I have heard the news about you; I am amazed at what You have done. Lord, do great things once again in our time; make those things happen again in our own days. Even when You are angry, remember to be kind." (Habakkuk 3:2)
5. U.S. Agents to Legally Hack Computers Everywhere- Israel's Homeland Security
It seems that the American thirst for citizens' private information literally knows no bounds. The U.S. is promoting laws that will make it much easier for the FBI to legally hack into suspects' computers. U.S. judges, under the new regulations, will have the authority to approve the investigation of computers that aren't even located on American soil. (Read more)
- Father, we look to You for our protection, as we see our Constitutional rights dissolving right before our eyes. We weep for our nation, as it struggles to survive those who wish to trample our freedoms, and dissolve our Republic. Give wisdom, O Lord, to those who would fight for our freedoms before the courts of the U.S. and before You, our Advocate and Defender. We thank You for this land, and the many blessings You have bestowed upon it. We ask that it will survive all attacks, from within, as well as outside forces. Amen.
- "Nations tremble and kingdoms shake.God shouts and the earth crumbles. The LORD All-Powerful is with us;the God of Jacob is our defender. Selah" (Psalm 46:6,7)
6. Scheme to bypass Electoral College quietly advances - WorldNetDaily
With little fanfare and nearly no national media attention, the "National Popular Vote" effort is now 61% of the way toward its goal of legally bypassing the Electoral College established in the U.S., Constitution.
The NPV campaign seeks to obtain the consent of the majority of the 538 votes in the Electoral College to award electoral votes to the winner of the national popular vote instead of the winner of the popular vote in each state. Aside from New York, other states that already signed up are the heavily blue states of Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Washington, Vermont, California and Rhode Island. The District of Columbia also has joined the pact.
The Post quoted then Sen. John F. Kennedy stating, "Direct election would break down the federal system under which states entered the union, which provides a system of checks and balances to ensure that no area or group shall obtain too much power." Others have warned a national popular vote could ultimately lead to more voter fraud, arguing the Electoral College isolates the impact of such fraud to each state.
The Founding Fathers firmly rejected a purely popular vote to elect the president, because they wanted to balance the power of the larger and smaller states. The Electoral College was fashioned as a compromise between an election of the president by direct popular vote and election by Congress. Now the NPV effort could change the way Americans elect the president without amending the U.S. Constitution. The plan simply requires that enough states join through votes in their legislatures along with gubernatorial approval. (Read more)
- Father, we are grieved and concerned that this administration appears to have no respect, whatsoever, for our Constitution or the intelligence of our Founding Fathers. They have no regard for the Americans who elected them, as they do not want us to have any vote concerning these issues, but rather wish to enact their own wills, rather than the will of the people who put them in office. We ask, Lord, that this "sneaky" maneuvering would be made known at this time, so that it cannot be enacted without a vote of the people. We ask You to expose these works of darkness now, before they can accomplish their purposes by "duping" the American public. May there be a great outcry from the people who wish to continue to live in a democracy and that our government may again be "Of the people, By the people, and For the people". Amen.
- "Therefore submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake, whether to the king as supreme, or to governors, as those who are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and for the praise of those who do good." (I Peter 2:13,14)
7. Obama Dedicates New York Museum to Remember 2001 Terrorist Attacks - VOA
Ground Zero, the site of the former World Trade Center in New York City, was a place of grief and closure, celebration and solemnity on Thursday. On hand to dedicate the long-awaited National September 11 Memorial Museum was President Barack Obama and other dignitaries who joined survivors, emergency responders and recovery workers, as well as the loved ones of those killed in the attacks in 2001.
An atmosphere of shared mourning and civic pride filled the cavernous auditorium below ground as the Young People's Chorus of New York City sang the national anthem at the start of the hour-long ceremony. (Read more)
- Abba, may we never forget this terrible tragedy that took place on 9/11/01, and may this museum continually remind us of the hostile world, in which we live. We pray that there will never be another incident like this one, occur on American soil. We do humble ourselves before You, and declare our dependency on You, our Shield and our Defender! We pray for the families of all those lost in this horrific crime against our nation. May they experience Your comfort and strength, we pray. Amen.
- "May there be peace within her walls and safety within her strong towers.""The name of the Lord is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe." (Psalm 122:7;Proverbs 18:10)
8. CLIMATEGATE II? Scientific world accused of muzzling dissenters - Fox News
THE SCIENTIFIC COMMUNITY is facing new charges of muzzling dissent on global warming after a paper by a respected research fellow and climatologist was rejected by a leading academic journal when a reviewer found it 'harmful' to the climate change agenda. (Read more)
- Offer praise that these questions are being asked and continue in prayer, asking that the entire agenda of' "ClimateGate" be revealed and dismantled. In His Name, amen.
- "He uncovers deep things out of darkness, And brings the shadow of death to light." (Job 12:22)
9. Egypt seizes bomb-making material near Suez Canal - Yahoo
Fifteen tons of a material used to make explosives have been seized in a town straddling the Suez Canal, the Egyptian army said on Wednesday, one of the biggest such hauls since the start of a campaign against Islamist militants in the nearby Sinai. (Read more)
- Abba, we thank You for revealing these explosives to the Egyptian Army, so they could seize them before they can be used for evil, especially against tiny Israel and her people. We praise You, and ask that You would continue to expose these evil deeds and may the terrorists plans not come to fruition, we pray. You see the thoughts and intents of the heart of men, and we ask that You would draw them to come to know You and follow You. Protect the innocent, we pray, Amen.
- "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?"I the LORD search the heart and examine the mind, to reward each person according to their conduct,according to what their deeds deserve." (Jeremiah 17:9,10)
10. Five dead as worst floods in 120 years hit Serbia, Bosnia - Reuters
The heaviest rains and floods in 120 years have hit Bosnia and Serbia, killing five people, forcing hundreds out of their homes and cutting off entire towns. The five casualties, one of them a firefighter on a rescue mission, drowned in Serbia. Bosnia and Serbia declared a state of emergency, while the Serbian Orthodox church said it would hold special prayers in Belgrade for the rain to stop. (Read more)
- Father God, even as part of our nation is in flames tonight, we see that part of Europe is now experiencing deadly flooding. Abba Father God, we ask for Your hand of mercy to rest upon those who are under affliction tonight, and for your grace to sustain them in the days ahead. We ask this in Jesus' name, amen.
- "And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive." (Matthew 21:22)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." (Isaiah 40:31)
1. Two Arab Rioters Killed Amid Nakba Day Clashes - Arutz Sheva
Hundreds of Arab residents of Judea, Samaria and Gaza rioted on Thursday for "Nakba Day," the Arabic word for catastrophe designating the creation of the Jewish state of Israel 66 years ago, when hundreds of thousands of local Arabs left Israel at the behest of invading Arab armies.
2. PA fears rioting after funerals of slain teens - Times of Israel
Palestinian security forces were concerned Friday morning over the likelihood of violent riots after two teens died Thursday during Nakba Day demonstrations near Ramallah, Israel Radio reported.
3. Yaalon Says 'All Means' Must be Used to Block Iran Threat - Arutz Sheva
Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon said Thursday that the Jewish state and its US ally should be prepared to use "all means" to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapons capability.
4. Syrian rebel officer: We could work with Israel to oust Assad, quietly - Times of Israel
The Free Syrian Army could tactically collaborate with Israel in toppling the Assad regime, as long as such cooperation is carried out in utter secrecy, a senior FSA officer told The Times of Israel on Wednesday.
The Daily Jot
The Daily Jot receives hundreds of emails each week. Many of them proclaim that Christian persecution has come to America. They cite as evidence the political correctness movement that limits free speech, the government cracking down on home schooling, the news media ridiculing Christians who speak about God in the public square, how the government has taken God out of public schools, how abortion is costing millions of lives each year, and the list goes on and on. These, my brothers and sisters, are legitimate concerns and most likely the signs of what is coming in the future if we do not get united and stand against them. But persecution. No. Not when you see what is going on in other countries.
Years ago, I watched a cell phone video of a woman in a Muslim village who was tried and convicted of adultery. In reality, she was raped by her husband's brother. But there were not four male witnesses to collaborate her claim. She was placed in a white bag and dragged out to a hole and buried up to her waist. Then all the men at the trial stoned her to death. They yelled profanity to her as they killed her. This is the type of justice we see in Islamic countries. While it is not Christian persecution, it is what comes with Islam everywhere this evil system is allowed. It has anchored in America. There are places in Minnesota and Michigan where Sharia law is only a City Council or County Commissioner vote away.
Sudan is a bloodthirsty Islamic country. The Muslims there have killed most of the Christians. When they ran out of Christians to kill, the Arab Muslims started killing the African Muslims. Meriam Ibrahim is a 27 year old mother of a 20 month old and is pregnant with her second child. She was raised Christian by her mother as her Muslim father was "absent." Her husband is also a Christian. Under Sharia Law, she is considered Muslim because her father was Muslim. Therefore, her marriage to a Christian is not only void, but constitutes adultery. A court sentenced her to 100 lashes. Additionally, unless she denounced her Christian faith, she faced death by stoning.
At the Court's deadline, she stood and told the court, "I am Christian." She was sentenced to death by stoning. This is Christian persecution. This is Islam, the religion which the occupant of the Oval Office says its call to prayer "is one of the prettiest sounds on earth." In his 2010 Ramadan greeting he said the rituals of Ramadan "remind us of the principles that we hold in common and Islam's role in advancing justice, progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings." Christians have nothing in common with Islam. As 2 Corinthians 6:14 asks, "what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" The same holds true for Christians and those politicians who advocate godlessness. They need to be stopped before they bring destruction upon us all.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
More believers in Hollywood than you may think
Patricia Heaton is famous for her Emmy Award-winning role on Everybody Loves Raymond and her current role on The Middle. The veteran actor and outspoken Christian says that Hollywood is home to more believers than you might expect.
The actress explains: "most creative people have a deep spiritual well that they're drawing from even if they don't know it. . . . The arts are being creative-I mean, God is a creator, he creates constantly, and when you're in a creative place like Hollywood, there's a lot of opportunity to talk and share and find common ground."
Believers are indeed more common in Hollywood than most people know. Did you know that Jimmy Fallon, Jay Leno's replacement on The Tonight Show, planned as a boy to become a priest? Or that Jimmy Kimmel, host of his own late-night talk show, was an altar boy who attends Mass as often as he can?
George Stephanopoulos, co-host of ABC's Good Morning America, is the son of a Greek Orthodox priest and long considered entering the priesthood himself. Sean Astin, famous for his work in Rudy and Lord of the Rings, regularly meditates on the phrase, "Allow me to be an instrument of Your will." Kirsten Powers, a political analyst for Fox News, says that "my whole life had centered on Democratic politics" before she became a believer and now stands publicly for Christ.
I'm convinced that God is calling even more believers into places of such visibility. Sociologist James Davison Hunter is right: culture changes when believers achieve their highest level of influence and "manifest faithful presence" as salt-and-light Christians (Matthew 5:13-16). (The Denison Forum) Read more.
Signs and Wonders
Signs and Wonders:
Jupiter's Red Spot Shrinks to Smallest Size Ever
Jupiter's trademark Great Red Spot - the most powerful storm in the solar system - has shrunken to its smallest observed size ever, and scientists struggle to figure out why. Recent Hubble Space Telescope images of the storm show that it is now 10,250 miles (16,496 km) across, which is less than half the size of the storm in the late 1800s, Amy Simon of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center said in a statement. (Nature World News)
"And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near."
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
"THERE IS NONE LIKE YOU" - HILLSONG
THERE IS NONE LIKE YOU
NO ONE ELSE CAN TOUCH MY HEART LIKE YOU DO
I COULD SEARCH FOR ALL ETERNITY LONG,
AND FIND THERE IS NONE LIKE YOU