The Nation of Israel Celebrates Independence Day:
66 years old today!
Listen to Israel's National Anthem, "Haktiva", with English subtitles, by going here.
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief
"Praying for All in Authority"
Tuesday, May 6, 2014
"May the nations be glad and sing for joy, for you rule the peoples with equity and guide the nations of the earth." (Psalm 67:4)
Tomorrow in the Capitol: An Historic Event! "Washington, Man of Prayer."
ALERT! May 7 Statuary Hall event "Washington: A Man of Prayer 2014" is set to make religious broadcasting history from the nation's Capitol.
The ceremony honoring the 225th inaugural anniversary of President George Washington will be broadcast globally by the Daystar Television Network as members of Congress and national Christian leaders gather to honor the first president of the United States as a man of Christian faith.
Though the event is exclusively for members of Congress, churches around the world will be able to join the celebration that Wednesday evening during their midweek services via global webcast made possible by World Net Daily and the Christian Broadcasting Network. Churches are encouraged to register online to host the historic webcast during their midweek services at www.WashingtonAManOfPrayer.com.
Supreme Court Rules-Prayer before Public Meetings Is Constitutional
See our Good News section, below.
Thank you for praying for the Persecuted Church!
Please visit the website for the International Christian Concern to find ongoing needs for prayer among the persecuted around the world. Thank you.
The Daily Brief
1. Victory! Supreme Court Rules-Prayer before Public Meetings Is Constitutional - Breaking Christian News
According to a Christian Post report, the US Supreme Court recently ruled in favor of the town of Greece, New York-that Christian ministers would be allowed to pray prior to their town meetings. In the case of Town of Greece v. Galloway, the ruling came down 5-4, on Monday, with Justice Anthony Kennedy delivering the Court's opinion, with Chief Justice Roberts, and Justices Alito, Scalia and Thomas concurring. (Read more)
- This news is such a breakthrough that you will find several articles, below, devoted to this event. Please join us in interceding that the only Name to be named in these opening prayers would be that of Jesus Christ, our Savior and our Lord, for this is the only name that counts. Amen.
- "Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." (Philippians 2:9-11)
2. Podesta: Congress Can't Stop Obama On Global Warming - Daily Caller
White House adviser John Podesta told reporters Monday afternoon that Congress could not derail the Obama administration's efforts to unilaterally enact policies to fight global warming. Podesta said that the president was committed to using executive orders to pass regulations under the Clean Air Act to limit carbon dioxide emissions that they say cause global warming. (Read more)
- Whatever happened to our three branches of government . . . the ones defined in our Constitution? Once again, this president seems determined to have his own way by means of a series of executive orders: this time with issues related to "global warming." Ask our Lord to move upon the hearts of our men and women in Congress to do their job, and to make the man in the Oval Office accountable for any measures he wishes to sign. "Global warming" affects all of us in many ways; we need our Congress to serve as a watchdog over this new initiative. Pray!
- "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
3. House GOP probes on Benghazi, IRS set up tough votes for Democrats - Washington Times
With votes looming to create a special committee to investigate the Benghazi attacks, hold former IRS official Lois G. Lerner in contempt of Congress and demand a special counsel to look into the IRS, House Republicans have created a political minefield for Democrats in tough re-election races. (Read more)
- Dear Lord, may Your truth come out in these investigations and may the members of Congress vote according to what is right and just in Your eyes and in light of the Constitution. We pray that our people in Congress will not be influenced by threats or fear of not winning re-election. We hold up the plumbline of God for all to see the choices that will be made.
- "Also I will make justice the measuring line, and righteousness the plummet; the hail will sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters will overflow the hiding place." (Isaiah 28:17)
4. Senators call for VA secretary to resign amid mounting scandals - Fox News
Two U.S. senators, including Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, right, call for VA Secretary Eric Shinseki, left, to resign over a string of scandals involving the treatment of U.S. servicemembers, with Cornyn demanding President Obama replace Shinseki and go 'back to providing the service our veterans deserve.' (Read more)
- Offer praise that these senators are taking this action on behalf of our veterans. Ask our Lord to soften the heart of the president, and that he will see the wisdom of appointing a new man to head up the Veterans' Administration. We ask that this replacement happen quickly, and soon, in Jesus' Name, amen.
- "The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will." (Proverbs 21:1)
5. House to Advance Bill to End Mass NSA Surveillance - National Journal
A bill that would effectively end one of the National Security Agency's most controversial spy programs is finally getting its day in congressional court. (Read more)
- Father God, we pray that this legislation be given "teeth" so that our rights to privacy will no longer be abrogated by an NSA which seems now to be out of control. We ask for Your wisdom to guide those who are writing this bill, and for favor before the full House and the Senate, leading to swift passage. Thank You, Lord, for hearing our prayer, in Your name, amen and amen.
- "Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, And a two-edged sword in their hand, To bind their kings with chains, And their nobles with fetters of iron; To execute on them the written judgment- This honor have all His saints." (Psalm 149: 6,8,9)
6. Former U.S. Ambassador to Moscow Warns of War in Ukraine - Time
Michael McFaul, who served as President Obama's ambassador to Moscow until February, has warned that the Ukraine crisis is approaching a state of war that could trigger a large scale invasion by Russian military forces. (Read more)
- Pray now for the safety of all the Jews who are living in Ukraine, as well as for the believing church. If Russian boots indeed land on their soil, the spirit of atheism will arrive with them. Only God knows the outcome of the situation in Ukraine; pray for mercy. Amen.
- " . . . if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven." (Matthew 18:19)
7. Iran, China Expand Military Ties - Washington Free Beacon
The Iranian and Chinese defense ministers held high-level talks Monday in a bid to expand the military relationship between Tehran and Beijing, according to reports in China and Iran's state-run media organs. (Read more)
- The writing is on the wall. All over the world, the nations are in turmoil and alliances are being forged that may lead to war. Stand in repentance for the sin in our land, and for our own arrogance and pride being demonstrated on the world's stage. Only as we approach our Lord through an attitude of humility can we hope to gain the victory and enjoy peace in our land. By faith, sever the ties between Iran and China now being formed . . . nothing is too difficult for God. Pray!
- "The LORD is righteous; He has cut in two the cords of the wicked." (Psalm 129:4)
8. Iranian navy chief: We aim to destroy the US Navy - Times of Israel
The naval commander of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), Rear Admiral Ali Fadavi, said Monday that the destruction of the US Navy is a major operational goal of his forces, an Iranian news agency reported. In an unusually aggressive interview, he was said to have declared that Iran's navy had been conducting drills on how to sink US vessels in any potential combat, that Iran "naturally" wants to sink these vessels, and that it could sink a US aircraft carrier in less than a minute. (Read more)
- Just as Israel has an enemy out to destroy her, we too have an enemy out to destroy us. The Iranian threat is real and cannot be ignored. Cry out to God for mercy for our land, in repentance, and ask that He strengthen and protect those who are now serving in our naval ships overseas. We are almost at a time of war now; it is time to be on watch.
- "But we prayed to our God and posted a guard day and night to meet this threat." (Neh. 4:9)
9. Global deaths from terrorism 'rise by 60 per cent' - UK Telegraph
Deaths from terrorism worldwide rose by more than 60 per cent last year amid surging violence in Iraq and Syria, according to the US State Department.
- Oh Lord, how our hearts are saddened by the senseless loss of life by those who do not value human beings like You do! Father, we pray for Your protection for innocent people from those who plan wickedness; and we pray for those who would do these terrorists acts to be found out before they harm others. Lord, fill Iraq and Syria with the knowledge of You like the waters cover the sea so that peace and safety may prevail.
- "And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places." (Isaiah 32:18)
10. U.S.: Russian planes spotted near California, Guam - Haaretz.com
General Herbert "Hawk" Carlisle said the activity had included Russian flights to the coast of California, and around the U.S. Pacific island of Guam. (Read more)
- Remain on watch, saints of God. May we be found worthy to escape what may be coming upon our land. In His Name, amen.
- "Nevertheless, God's solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: "The Lord knows those who are his," and, "Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness." (2 Timothy 2:19)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Though an army may encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; Though war may rise against me, in this I will be confident." (Psalm 27:1,3)
1. Palestinians become signatories in 5 UN human rights conventions - Ynet News
The Palestinians on Friday officially became signatories in five UN human rights conventions to which they appealed on April 1, the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights said in a statement.
2. PA, Hamas chiefs hold first talks since unity deal - Times of Israel
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas was to hold talks with Hamas chief Khaled Mashaal in Doha on Monday for the first meeting since their rival movements signed a surprise unity deal.
3. House Restores Funding for Israeli Missile Defense - Washington Free Beacon
Funding for joint U.S.-Israeli missile defense programs has been significantly boosted by House lawmakers following a bid by the White House to reduce the amount of money spent on these critical systems, according to funding documents obtained by the Washington Free Beacon.
4. Hamas official: Unity deal forbids security cooperation with Israel - Times of Israel
Hamas is preparing to incorporate 3,000 Palestinian Authority security men from the West Bank into its Gaza apparatus, a Hamas official has announced. He also referred to a previously unknown "security clause" in the agreement with Fatah criminalizing security coordination with Israel.
The Daily Jot
The Emperor's Conundrum
The Emperor's Conundrum as posed by observing the current White House is: "What do the lawless have to do with freedom and the rule of law?" We need to look no further than Secretary of State John Kerry and Attorney General Eric Holder for the answer. In Kerry's case, he has made remark after remark about how his world view should be imposed upon others, such as Israel and Africa. In Holder's world view, only the laws that he believes are just should be enforced--marriage, border security, voting, offshore drilling--all fall by the wayside without the consent of the governed. In the president's case, he rules over the Conundrum as its Emperor, nurturing and defending its insidious tyranny.
The Weekly Standard reports that Kerry spoke to US Embassy staff in Ethiopia. He told them: "This is a time here in Africa where there are a number of different cross-currents of modernity that are coming together to make things even more challenging. Some people believe that people ought to be able to only do what they say they ought to do, or to believe what they say they ought to believe, or live by their interpretation of something that was written down a thousand plus, two thousand years ago. That's not the way I think most people want to live." Here again, Kerry is trying to appear intelligent and esoteric, but small things like words get in the way.
Kerry appears to be saying that there is a trend in Africa that people believe they should have freedom of speech and the freedom to exercise their religious beliefs, and that is creating challenges. This demonstrates his total lack of understanding and awareness of freedom of speech and of religion. These underpinnings of natural rights are valid only under the law. All law was given by the one true God, YHVH. The moral code of humanity is recorded in the book given by God called the Bible. There are no real cultural challenges when one refers to the Bible in how humans should behave both as individuals and as nations. But both Kerry and Holder miss this point.
Islam, for example, believes that those who do not accept the Koran and the prophet Mohammad should be committed to slavery or killed. It is throughout the Koran. Islam, to this day, is the largest purveyor of slavery and human trafficking in the world. It is also the source of terrorism around the world. It is against God's law. Therefore, those who practice the violent beliefs of Islam are against God. Kerry should not be confused on this. But he lacks understanding. Likewise, Holder and the president believe morality is relative as evidenced by their selective enforcement of law. They are attempting to replace God with their own will. When people say "freedom" but act lawlessly, apply Matthew 24:4, "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Supreme Court Rules FOR Legislative Prayer
Supreme Court Rules FOR Legislative Prayer!
[Editor's note: Just about everybody wrote about this historic ruling yesterday in various online news sources within the Body of Christ. We quote Gary Bauer, below, then give you links to several other commentaries, too. Praise God for this decision by the United States Supreme Court . . . released one week after our National Days of Repentance and of Prayer. Praise God!]
Good News & Bad News On Religious Liberty
The Supreme Court handed down a decision today on the constitutionality of prayers at government events. The case before the court concerned the town of Greece, New York, which opened its board meetings with a roll call, the Pledge of Allegiance and a prayer delivered by local clergy.
Two residents sued the town because the prayers were predominantly Christian. In its defense, the town argued that it wasn't discriminating because "nearly all of the local congregations are Christian."
Here's the good news: The Supreme Court today upheld public prayers, even Christian prayers, at government meetings in 5-to-4 decision.
But that is the bad news too! The free exercise of religion depends on just one vote.
Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote the majority opinion, which was joined by Chief Justice Roberts and Justice Alito, with Justices Thomas and Scalia concurring in separate opinions. Justice Elena Kagan, joined by Justices Ginsburg, Breyer and Sotomayor, ruled against the town of Greece.
Now a win is a win. But don't miss the fact that this victory for religious liberty was won by the narrowest of margins. One more liberal appointment and the Supreme Court could easily ban prayers before town council meetings and legislative sessions. If that were to happen, our Pledge of Allegiance and the national motto would surely be next.
Your vote at the ballot box has a direct impact on our federal courts. Federal judges, including those on the Supreme Court, are appointed (by the president) and confirmed (by the Senate) by the men and women we elect to public office.
As a general rule, if the country votes for liberal politicians, it will get liberal judges. If it votes for conservative candidates, it will get conservative judges. (Gary Bauer, End-of-Day, Monday, May 5, 2014)
1. U.S. Supreme Court Affirms Prayer at Government Meetings - Citizenlink (go here)
2. Saving Grace in Greece: SCOTUS Sides with Prayer - Family Research Council (go here)
3. Historic Victory For Prayer And Religious Freedom - Congressional Prayer Caucus Foundation (go here)
(Includes a statement by Congressman J. Randy Forbes, Chair, Congressional Prayer Caucus)
Pray for Oklahoma!
Satanic group says Oklahoma must give the devil his due
The Prince of Darkness won't see the light of day in Oklahoma, if lawmakers have their way. Oklahoma officials say there is no way in hell that a statue of Satan will ever assume a position at the Capitol.
"There will never be a satanic monument on the grounds of the Oklahoma State Capitol and the suggestion that there might be is absurd," Alex Weintz, spokesman for Gov. Mary Fallin, said in a statement to FoxNews.com. (Read more)
- Lord God, we stand in agreement with these statements by Oklahoma legislators to resist the honoring of the prince of darkness on the Capitol grounds!!! In the name of Jesus, we bind up all satanic intentions to help the usurper to God's throne gain any recognition. We decree and declare defeat for this awful effort in Jesus' name, amen.
- "And He said to them, 'I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven.'"(Luke 10:18)
First Health Care, Now The Weather
First Health Care, Now The Weather
Don't be surprised if you see Barack Obama during your local weather forecast on tonight's evening news. The White House has enlisted national and local meteorologists to help push its radical climate change agenda, which it unveiled today in its "National Climate Assessment." The report is an action plan to combat global warming. Having seized control of the nation's healthcare industries, Obama is now aiming for the rest of the economy under the guise of fighting climate change.
The "National Climate Assessment" warns of impending doom unless big government steps in to save us from ourselves. According to the White House, "The findings . . . underscore the need for urgent action to combat the threats from climate change, protect American citizens and communities today."
In other words, hold on to your wallets and kiss those booming energy jobs goodbye.
We are getting this dire call to arms just as we have experienced below average hurricane seasons for the past three years and late starts to the tornado seasons. We've just had the coldest winter on record. In most of the country, folks would have paid good money for a little "global warming."
And Obama is assuring us that even though he couldn't make the Obamacare website work, even though his VA is killing our veterans, even though he is unable to get our economy going or stop a thug like Vladimir Putin, he knows how to change the weather. (Gary Bauer, excerpt, End-of-Day, Tuesday, May 6, 2014)
How to Pray for Hotspots
How to Pray for Hotspots
by John Robb, Chairman
International Prayer Council
For more than 20 years, it has been my privilege to facilitate interdenominational prayer initiatives in many of the hard places of the earth where there is war and intense human suffering, hopeless and impossible situations. As our ministry teams joined local brothers and sisters in Christ in humbling ourselves, getting right with the Lord and one another in times of moving reconciliation and repentance, over and over again we witnessed God's gracious hand coming in to bring about deliverance, with marvelous breakthroughs that resulted in peace agreements, governments of national unity and spiritual revival among ministry leaders. It was not because we were some great prayer gurus at all. Instead, in childlike dependence, along with the local ministry leaders, we sought to align ourselves under His direction as the only one who could really solve such gargantuan difficulties.
Here are some simple lessons or principles that may be helpful in praying for the hot spots in your region:
1. God can turn things around through united and authoritative prayer to bring healing and reconciliation in the world's trouble spots.
2. Prayer initiatives should be interdenominational, if not international, efforts that bring many believers into heart agreement as Jesus encouraged in Matthew 18:18-20.
3. Dependence on God and His direction is essential in undertaking such an initiative. Ask for and expect His guidance step by step through the whole process.
4. In order to experience the kind of faith-filled, united praying that brings breakthrough and transformation, the relationships of those praying first need to be reconciled.
5. Believers need to identify with and confess the sins of their own ethnic groups or political factions in a conflict, asking God and those from the opposing groups for forgiveness.
6. Pray transconfessionally. Include the whole of Christ's Church and try to draw as many denominations and traditions as possible into your prayer effort. Be sensitive to the particular style of others, even if it seems foreign to your own. Strive for unity in diversity.
7. Pray holistically. Listen to the Spirit of God and pray about any issues He begins to surface during the sharing and prayer times. Ask for peace, healing and restoration of communities, tribes and nations caught up in the conflict.
8. Gather and disseminate information. Learn about the situation you are praying for because in the realm of prayer you get what you specifically ask for. Also share what you learn with prayer networks and intercessors who can pray in support.
9. Expect God's illumination as you proceed. As we listen and pray, we can count on the Lord to put His finger on the main issues that are hindering His peace. Be open to prophetic impressions, words or images that the Spirit sometimes gives spontaneously to participants (I Corinthians 14:26 f).
10. Engage for the long term. Sometimes there are "suddenlies" that happen, but generally deep transformation does not happen overnight. Persevering prayer is usually needed over weeks and months, sometimes years, for real and substantial impact.
[Note: This article appeared in IPC's May edition of their magazine, International Prayer Connections. For more information about prayer events and needs for prayer around the world, please go here.]
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Victory! Supreme Court Rules-Prayer before Public Meetings Is Constitutional
"As practiced by Congress since the framing of the Constitution, legislative prayer lends gravity to public business, reminds lawmakers to transcend petty differences in pursuit of a higher purpose, and expresses a common aspiration to a just and peaceful society." -Justice Anthony Kennedy
According to a Christian Post report, the US Supreme Court recently ruled in favor of the town of Greece, New York-that Christian ministers would be allowed to pray prior to their town meetings.
In the case of Town of Greece v. Galloway, the ruling came down 5-4, on Monday, with Justice Anthony Kennedy delivering the Court's opinion, with Chief Justice Roberts, and Justices Alito, Scalia and Thomas concurring.
Kennedy read: "The Court must decide whether the town of Greece, New York, imposes an impermissible establishment of religion by opening its monthly board meetings with a prayer. It must be concluded . . . that no violation of the Constitution has been shown.
"In Marsh v. Chambers, 463 U.S. 783, the Court found no First Amendment violation in the Nebraska legislature's practice of opening its sessions with a prayer delivered by a chaplain paid from state funds," he continued. "The decision concluded that legislative prayer, while religious in nature, has long been understood as compatible with the Establishment Clause. As practiced by Congress since the framing of the Constitution, legislative prayer lends gravity to public business, reminds lawmakers to transcend petty differences in pursuit of a higher purpose, and expresses a common aspiration to a just and peaceful society." (Breaking Christian News) Read more.
Signs and Wonders
Signs and Wonders:
Oklahoma Earthquake Risk Prompts Rare Warning
Mile for mile, there are almost as many earthquakes rattling Oklahoma as California this year. This major increase in seismic shaking led to a rare earthquake warning today (May 5) from the U.S. Geological Survey and the Oklahoma Geological Survey.
In a joint statement, the agencies said the risk of a damaging earthquake - one larger than magnitude 5.0 - has significantly increased in central Oklahoma.
Geologists don't know when or where the state's next big earthquake will strike, nor will they put a number on the increased risk. "We haven't seen this before in Oklahoma, so we had some concerns about putting a specific number on the chances of it," Robert Williams, a research geophysicist with the USGS Earthquake Hazards Program in Golden, Colorado, told Live Science. "But we know from other cases around the world that if you have an increasing number of small earthquakes, the chances of a larger one will go up."
That's why earthquakes of magnitude 5 and larger are more frequent in states such as California and Alaska, where thousands of smaller temblors hit every year. This is the first time the USGS has issued an earthquake warning for a state east of the Rockies, Williams said. Such seismic hazard assessments are more typically issued for Western states following large quakes, to warn residents of the risk of damaging aftershocks, he said. (Huffington Post) Read more here.
"And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near."
Worship With Us Today!
In honor of Israel's Independence Day: Please enjoy . . .
"Jerusalem: The Eye of the Universe"
Celebrate Here: "Jerusalem: The Eye of the Universe"