CHPP Daily Brief Wednesday, August 15, 2012
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"Partners in Prayer for Our Nation"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Wednesday, August 15, 2012
"Sing to the Lord, all the earth; proclaim his salvation day after day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples."
(I Chronicles 16:23,24)
The Daily Brief
1. Demint: U.N. Treaty Threatens U.S. Homeschoolers - WND
In the past few weeks, two proposed United Nations treaties failed to advance. The small-arms treaty failed at the U.N. while opponents of the Law of the Sea Treaty (LOST) amassed enough votes to block it in the U.S. Senate.
Now, Sen. Jim DeMint,R-S.C., says another U.N. treaty that threatens American sovereignty has been put back on the table by foreign diplomats and their internationalist allies in the federal government. It's called the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Disabled, which calls for government agents to supersede the authority of parents of disabled children and even covers abortion.
Proponents, including many Republicans, claim it will help to expand rights and opportunities for disabled people in all nations, but DeMint isn't buying it.
DeMint says the language of the treaty suggests it will promote abortion and chip away at parental rights - particularly the rights of home schooling parents. "Homeschoolers are up in arms. We already have some judges in our country that are using international law to change our laws."
The senator says the U.S. is by far the most accommodating nation in the world for people with disabilities and he sees no need to sign this or most other U.N.treaties because it can only erode American sovereignty. "America needs to be the model of the world. We need to be the light rather than trying to submit ourselves to other nations."
- Heavenly Father, we thank You that, once again, LOST and the UN arms treaty lost! Now another attack on our sovereignty and freedoms presents itself in the deceptive form of this United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Disabled. We pray against this invasive "convention" and stand in Your name against those who would foolishly hand off our nation's sovereignty to a corrupt international committee. Protect those who have chosen to home school their own children from those trying to rob their parental rights. May our lawmakers unite against every threat which would submit America to international laws, in Jesus' name!
- " Woe to those who decree unrighteous decrees, who write misfortune, which they have prescribed to rob the needy of justice, and take what is right from the poor of my people . . ." (Isaiah 10: 1,2a)
2. Iran: If war breaks out, we'll annihilate IDF - Ynet News
Iranian Defense Minister General Ahmad Vahidi vowed Tuesday that should Israel strike its nuclear facilities, the Islamic Republic will annihilate the IDF. "The weak, crumbling Zionist regime, which has suffered humiliations in the (recent) wars cannot deal with Iran's might," he said. "The threats are a sign of weakness by brainless leaders." Israel, he added, is so wary of the "Islamic awakening" of the Arab Spring, "That it's scared of its own shadow. This is why they are trying to use psychological warfare."
The timing of the Iranian defense minister's statements is not coincidental as they were made a few days before "international Jerusalem day" - a blatant anti-Zionist and anti-Semitic show of hatred scheduled for Friday. As part of "international Jerusalem day" millions of Muslims use the last Friday of Ramadan to lament the fate of "occupied Jerusalem."
- Lord we thank You that all of these words have come to Your ears, for You are the Defender of Israel! Protect and preserve the "glorious Land" that You appointed in Your word to Israel. In Yeshua's name we pray.
- " When the enemy comes in like a flood the Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard against him. The Redeemer will come to Zion, and to those who turn from transgression in Jacob," says the Lord." (Isaiah 59: 19b, 20)
3. Iran proposes military alliance of Muslim countries - Trend News Agency
It is necessary to create a military alliance of Muslim countries. It can be created in order to repel an attack on the Muslim countries, as well as to protect the Palestinian people, the Mehr news agency quoted Iranian Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi as saying at today's meeting at the Ministry of Defense.
"If a strong and strategic alliance of Muslim countries in order to protect the Palestinian land is created, then the 'Zionist regime' will have no choice but to bow to the Palestinian people," Vahidi said.
- God, we bind this murderous spirit of hatred in the name of Jesus Messiah. We speak dissension into the ranks and leadership of those who attempt to unite against Israel, and ask that all Israel may turn and be a praise to You! Amen.
- "O Lord, according to all Your righteousness, I pray let Your anger and Your fury be turned away from Your city Jerusalem, Your holy mountain; because for our sins, and for the iniquity of our fathers, Jerusalem and Your people are a reproach to all around us... O Lord, hear! O Lord , forgive! O Lord, listen and act! Do not delay for Your own sake, my God, for Your city and Your people are called by Your name." (Daniel 9:16,19)
4. Senior Egyptian army commander quits in protest at Morsi military shakeup - Ha'aretz
The sixth member of the Egypt's Supreme Council of the Armed Forces to resign or be fired since Morsi assumed the presidency, Rawini gave no reason for his resignation other than to say it was for personal reasons.
- Lord God we pray that Americans will realize what the new Muslim Brotherhood supported Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi really stands for, particularly because his coming to power through the Arab Spring was supported by our own White House. Have mercy Lord on our Christian brethren in Egypt at this troubling time, and may all Egypt turn to You, in Jesus' name we ask!
- " In that day Israel will be one of three with Egypt and Assyria - a blessing in the midst of the land, whom the Lord of hosts shall bless, saying, " Blessed is Egypt My people, and Assyria the work of My hands, and Israel My inheritance." (Isaiah 19:24,25)
5. Nuclear Sub from Russia in Gulf for a month undetected - The Free Beacon
The stealth underwater incursion in the Gulf took place at the same time Russian strategic bombers made incursions into restricted U.S. airspace near Alaska and California in June and July, and highlights a growing military assertiveness by Moscow.
The submarine patrol also exposed what U.S. officials said were deficiencies in U.S. anti-submarine warfare capabilities-forces that are facing cuts under the Obama administration's plan to reduce defense spending by $487 billion over the next 10 years. Read more.
- Pray that the Lord will continue to reveal the deep flaws in this administration's defense policy, and that wisdom from our Congress will override those flaws. Pray also that God will station angelic guardians around the coastlines of America to stand against the plans of leaders whose motives are to destroy us.
- "Break the arm of the wicked and evil person; call his wickedness into account until nothing remains of it." (Psalm 10:15)
6. California Congressman Suddenly Resigns - International Business Times
Rep. Dennis Cardoza, D-Calif., said Tuesday he would resign immediately, a move he told a local newspaper was due to family concerns. "Tomorrow, I will be submitting my formal letter of resignation from Congress to Gov. Jerry Brown and Speaker John Boehner, effective midnight August 15th," Cardoza said in a statement released by his office on Tuesday.
Cardoza, who represented part of California's agricultural Central Valley for five terms, said last year he would not seek re-election. He was first elected to the House of Representatives in 2002. The statement gave no reason for the abrupt resignation, but in an interview with the Merced Sun-Star in his home district, Cardoza cited concerns over his three children. Read more.
- Dear Lord, we pray in the authority of Jesus' name for the Cardoza household, and ask that what they are suffering now will lead them to a transforming relationship with You. We pray they will find the helps they need, as You direct their steps to those equipped to minister in Your power. We pray that Rep. Cardoza's position will be filled by an individual of Your choosing for such a time as this - and through Your great mercies we ask that the state of California will be turned around in righteousness!
- "But Jesus looked at them and said, " With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible!" (Mark 10:16)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, And prudent in their own sight! " (Isaiah 5:20-21)
1. Palestinians condemn calls for Jewish prayer on Temple Mount as 'incitement' - Times of Israel
The Palestinian Authority on Tuesday condemned Israeli calls to allow Jews to pray on the Temple Mount, saying that Israeli incitement against the Al-Aqsa Mosque could lead to "a disaster."
2. Israel has not decided on Iran strike, cannot deliver knockout punch alone, top US defense officials - Times of Israel
Two top American defense officials spoke out against possible Israeli plans to strike Iranian nuclear sites Tuesday, as the US ramps up efforts to hold Jerusalem back from launching a unilateral campaign.
3. Netanyahu set to bury Levy report on legalizing illegal West Bank outposts - Ha'aretz
Controversial report found that Israel's presence in West Bank does not constitute occupation; Netanyahu fears that raising the issue now would generate a major international controversy.
4. Morsy to resume Hamas-Fatah unity efforts in Cairo - Jerusalem Post
Egyptian President Mohamed Morsy has decided to resume efforts to end the power struggle between Fatah and Hamas, Palestinian sources said Tuesday.
The Daily Jot
As US helps enemies of Jerusalem, danger prowls
Not long after the occupant of the Oval Office moved into the White House the Russians sent a little message: Don't take us for granted. The New York Times reported that two Russian nuclear attack submarines were patrolling off the East coast of America. That was in 2009. Fast forward to the present, and Russian President Vladimir Putin is still sending messages. On August 14, respected defense reporter Bill Gertz wrote in the Washington Free Beacon that "A Russian nuclear-powered attack submarine armed with long-range cruise missiles operated undetected in the Gulf of Mexico for several weeks, and its travel in strategic US waters was only confirmed after it left the region."
Gertz reports that US defense officials are concerned because the sub went undetected for a month. Gertz quoted an anonymous US official saying, "The Akula was built for one reason and one reason only: To kill US Navy ballistic missile submarines and their crews." Combine this with Russian strategic nuclear bombers simulating strikes against US nuclear sites in Alaska during June, and the post-cold war ally of the US doesn't appear so friendly anymore. But here is the problem--the US government has opened the door for Russia to prowl our sea- and airspace with impunity--The 2010 START treaty signed by the occupant of the Oval Office allows for such exercises--with a 14 day advanced notice.
Of course, no notice was given. On July 14, Gertz says, a Russian bomber flew into US airspace off the coast of California. This one was intercepted by US jets. Recently, Russia signaled that it was going to use Cuba as a resupplying stop for its Navy. The question is, what's up? Russia is no friend or ally. It supports Iran's nuclear program by providing technology and expertise. It is on the opposite side of most every US decision involving Israel and the Middle East. It is a leader against most things the US favors. It is also a proven, longstanding enemy of Jerusalem--supplying and arming the enemies of Israel since the very first war for Israel's independence in 1948.
Now we have the traditional enemy of Jerusalem prowling and probing US defense systems at the same time the US is arming and aiding the Muslim Brotherhood takeovers of Middle East and Northern Africa nations that surround Israel. YHWH uses the nations to punish Israel, but also punishes those nations for their harshness against Israel. In Zechariah's account of the Day of the Lord, Jerusalem is being judged by the nations, but there is a clear warning in 12:3, "And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces." America's leaders have taken a path to aid the enemies of Jerusalem. A dangerous reminder of the consequences lurks beneath our waters and in our airspace.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
On the Campaign Trail
Biden on Romney: "They're going to put y'all back in chains'
Vice President Joe Biden told supporters that Republicans would "put y'all back in chains," during a campaign speech Tuesday in Danville, Va.
VICE PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN: They've said it. Every Republican's voted for it. Look at what they value and look at their budget and what they're proposing. Romney wants to let the-he said in the first 100 days, he's going to let the big banks once again write their own rules-unchain Wall Street. They're going to put y'all back in chains. He's said he's going to do nothing about stopping the practice of outsourcing . . .
Biden was introduced at the campaign event by Center for American Progress Action Fund president Tom Perriello, who called Biden "the conscience of our nation's capital." (Free Beacon)
- Lord, it is because of our sins that we have leaders who cast off the fear of the Lord and speak unfettered words. We pray to You to forgive our great and grievous sins. Bind the tongues of oppressors. In mercy, raise up leaders who are rich in integrity and wisdom, whose words are pleasing in Your sight. O Lord, our only help in time of trouble, we pray this in Jesus' name.
- "He shall speak pompous words against the Most High, shall persecute the saints of the Most High, and shall intend to change times and law." (Daniel 7: 25)
Mitt Romney And The Boy Scouts
Mitt Romney And The Boy Scouts
When the Boy Scouts of America recently reaffirmed their prohibition on homosexuals serving as scout masters, the media immediately wanted to put the presidential contenders on the spot. Not surprisingly, Barack Obama said he opposed the Scouts' position. A spokesperson for Governor Romney said his position had not changed since 1994, when he said that homosexuals should be able to participate in the Scouts.
That led to a lot of misleading headlines from the media that Obama and Romney shared the same position and that both opposed the Boy Scouts. The Romney campaign took a lot of flak as a result, and so it issued a statement Friday from Gov. Romney, which I have copied below in its entirety.
"The Boy Scouts of America is one of our country's greatest organizations, helping build strength of character in millions of young Americans.
"I believe in protecting the fundamental right of freedom of association, and that private organizations like the Scouts should remain free to organize themselves and set membership rules and requirements as they themselves think are in the best interest of their organization."
That is a critical difference, my friends, that should not be overlooked. Whatever his personal views, Mitt Romney respects the right of the Boy Scouts to set its own policies free from government interference. Unlike Obama, Mitt Romney won't be beholden to radical special interest groups, and unlike Obama he will not use the power of big government to force private organizations to violate their values. (Gary Bauer)
ALERT - Shooting Incident at FRC
Incident at FRC Headquarters
August 15, 2012
Friends, Earlier today, a gunman showed up at the entrance to the Family Research Council and began shooting. The security guard was hit; we do not know his condition. . .
Thankfully, Tony Perkins, General Jerry Boykin (now on staff at FRC), and all others are safe.
Please keep the staff at FRC in your prayers, and join us in praying Psalm 91 and Isaiah 54:17 over all of them. FRC's bulletin is next:
Incident at FRC Headquarters
August 15, 2012
WASHINGTON, D.C. - Family Research Council President Tony Perkins made the following comments after an FRC security guard was shot this morning:
"The police are investigating this incident. Our first concern is with our colleague who was shot today. Our concern is for him and his family."
More News from Israel
NEXT "FLYTILLA" TO ARRIVE THROUGH JORDAN
Four months after the last "flytilla" to Ben-Gurion airport, organizers of the Welcome to Palestine campaign are gearing up for another round of fly-ins, scheduled to take place at the end of August. The next round is slated to begin on August 24, and will be different from previous fly-ins, organizers say. The pro-Palestinian activists will fly into the Jordanian capital of Amman from different countries around the world, but mostly from France, and will then tour refugee camps before heading to Allenby Crossing, where they will request to pass into the Palestinian Authority.
"Last time, the Israeli government claimed that we were provocateurs trying to stir up trouble, and therefore this time we decided to have the activists enter the Palestinian Authority through the Allenby Crossing - in order to prove that the people only want to come and express solidarity with the Palestinians," said Jack Neno, one of the campaign organizers. According to Neno, the activists, who will bring with them supplies for Palestinian students, will arrive at the border crossing as a group and declare their affiliation with Welcome to Palestine campaign.
Bethlehem Governor Abed Al-Fatah Hamayel said that the upcoming flytilla will only include a few hundred activists. "One of the Israelis' claims was that the last fly-in was a provocation. They said that the activists should have entered the Palestinian territories through Allenby Crossing and not through Ben-Gurion Airport, so we took their advice," he said. Neno noted that the decision to bring a small number of activists this time around is meant to help them enter the Palestinian Authority without creating a fuss. "We hope Israel lets them cross, but if it refuses, we will return with another campaign which will see masses of activists swarm Ben-Gurion airport." (Ynet News)
- Pray that the "Flytilla" becomes a "non-event" in the eyes of the world and media.
- "The LORD will cause your enemies who rise against you to be defeated before your face; they shall come out against you one way and flee before you seven ways." (Deuteronomy 28:7)
[Reported by BFP: Bridges for Peace]
Joel Rosenberg: Mideast just weeks away from war?
IS ISRAELI STRIKE ON IRAN JUST WEEKS AWAY?
Denver, Colorado, August 14, 2012) -- Yes, it is possible that Israeli leaders could be bluffing. Yes, it is also possible that they are simply trying to pressure the U.S. and international community to take more decisive action to neutralize the Iranian nuclear threat. But reading the latest tea leaves, I believe evidence is rapidly mounting that this could really be it -- Israel could be just days or weeks away from a massive preemptive strike against Iran.
I believe there are significant changes in the way Israeli leaders are speaking about the possibility of war. One fact that has particularly caught my attention in the last 24 hours is that Deputy Foreign Minister Danny Ayalon is telling reporters that it is time for the world to admit that diplomacy has not worked, and that Iran only has "weeks" and not "months" to cease nuclear activity.
To be clear: I'm still praying for the peace of Jerusalem and the epicenter everyday, as we are commanded in Psalm 122:6. I'm not advocating war. I would be so glad if Israel and/or the world could find a way to neutralize Iran without violence and bloodshed. But I don't want to see a Second Holocaust either, and that's surely what Israel would be facing if Iran gets the Bomb. I believe that Prime Minister Netanyahu believes he is out of other options, and it's clear to him thus far that the Obama administration is not going to act decisively to prevent Iran from getting the Bomb in time. There could be numerous detours on the journey in the days and weeks ahead. But unless something dramatic changes quickly, I believe that everyone in the corridor between Tel Aviv and Tehran are on the verge of a massive and imminent war. . .
Here are the latest significant developments (links to all these stories are on the blog):
* Israel's Deputy Foreign Minister Asks Nations to Say Iran Talks Have Failed - "Asked how long the Iranians should be given to cease all nuclear activity, Mr. Ayalon said 'weeks, and not more than that.'" (NYT)
* PM: If Iran goes nuclear, it may actually use bomb -- "In a television interview last week, Netanyahu said that he sees 'the regime of the ayatollahs declaring what it has etched on its banner - to destroy us. It is working to destroy us, and is preparing atom bombs to destroy us. As much as it is dependent on me, I will not let that happen.'"
* New intelligence reveals Iranian military nuclear program advancing faster than previously thought
* Ambassador Oren: Israel's clock on Iran 'ticking faster' than Obama's - In an interview to MSNBC, Israeli Ambassador to the U.S. Michael Oren says five months of diplomacy on the Iranian nuclear program 'haven't worked.'
* US didn't foresee 9/11, officials in Jerusalem say, after White House claims it would know if Iran was about to get the bomb
* Netanyahu: Threats to home front are 'dwarfed' by danger of a nuclear Iran
* Israeli officials say: "We have entered the phase of strategic decisions"
* Barak: New U.S. intelligence report raises urgency over Iran's nuclear program
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner
Superior Court Tosses Lawsuit Over Arizona Prayer
A Maricopa County Superior Court judge dismissed a lawsuit last week claiming Gov. Jan Brewer's annual, voluntary day of prayer violates the state Constitution.
On Aug. 8, Judge Eileen Willett granted a motion to dismiss with prejudice, which means the court will not hear a challenge on the same issue again.
Each year since taking office, Brewer has invited people to voluntarily set aside a day to pray for their state and country. She praised the decision. (by Bethany Monk; Citizenlink)
Worship with Us Today!
Worship with Us Today!
The Author of Love
Lift up the Name of the risen Son,
Lift up your praises with outstretched arms
Sing out the Name of the Chosen One,