Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"Partners in Prayer for Our Nation"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Thursday, August 16, 2012
"Sing to the Lord, all the earth; proclaim his salvation day after day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples." (I Chronicles 16:23,24)
The Daily Brief
1. Alert! Obama's Newest Executive Order Will Hand Over Total Control Of The Internet To DHS!!!- Yahoo
In an event that was devoid of the usual pomp and circumstance, President Obama issued an Executive Order, (EO) that effectively handed the Department of Homeland Security, (DHS) the ability to take complete control over the internet, according to reports from VPNReviewz. According to privacy advocates like the EFF, EPIC, UsenetReviewz, and many others, this order gives the DHS the authority to take complete control of public, private, and non-profit facilities - giving them the ability to close off or limit any and all civilian communications.
On the National Communications Systems official website, the order is further elaborated on, saying that the infrastructure, "includes wireline, wireless, satellite, cable, and broadcasting, and provides the transport networks that support the Internet and other key information systems." CEO of VPNReviewz, Michael Maxstead, agrees that the existing "Emergency Alert System" used in the US probably does need to be brought up to date to reflect existing technologies, but that, "This EO allows too much control over such a large entity." He further goes on to wonder "And, what will the system be used for once it is completely in place?" He asks this because the order allows the DHS to "prioritize" internet traffic.
In order to prioritize the traffic effectively, the controlling and monitoring agency would have to know the origination point, destination, identification, and type of traffic. Essentially everything about the communication. Most of the EO is wrapped up in legalese detailing the agency that will be created, the fact that the EO is being issued under the authority of the National Security/Emergency Preparedness, NS/EP, (EO 13618) and what agencies will be contributing to the implementation of the additional measures.
Link to the executive order:
- Pray that Americans will pay attention to this President's Executive orders, and not blindly ignore them as if they didn't matter at all. While the verbiage of all Executive Orders is created to appear reasonable, the potential for abuse in this one is enormous. Pray that God will undertake to remove this EO and those similar to it, and affirm the freedom of the Internet for all citizens.
- "I will break down your strong pride." [Leviticus 26:19a]
2. Approval of Congress falls to all-time low - AP
Just 10 percent of Americans approve of the job Congress is doing, according to a Gallup poll released Tuesday, tying the lowest mark in the 38 years the poll has been conducted.
- Father, we pray for Godly men and women in Congress who will hear Your voice and move with Your Holy Spirit.
- "There are thorns and snares on the path of the crooked; the one who guards himself stays from them." [Proverbs 22:5]
3. Woman Becomes First Openly Gay General - NY Times
An Army officer being promoted to brigadier general openly acknowledged her homosexuality on Friday by having her wife pin her star to her uniform, thus becoming the first openly gay officer of flag rank in the United States military.
- Lord, You have commanded us to love the sinner, but hate the sin. We are continually bombarded by decisions of our leadership that fly in the face of Your principles. We pray for mercy over America, and a move of Your Spirit toward those who need to know Your Love.
- "put your hope in the Lord. For there is faithful love with the Lord, and with Him is redemption in abundance." [Psalm 130:7]
4. A) Drought sends Mississippi into 'uncharted territory' - NBC
A year after near-historic flooding, the river's water levels are at near-historic lows from Cairo, Ill., where the Ohio River empties into it, to New Orleans, just north of its endpoint at the Gulf of Mexico.
b) Dallas mayor declares emergency over West Nile virus- Reuters
The mayor of Dallas declared a state of emergency in the ninth largest U.S. city Wednesday to combat the spread of West Nile virus infections, which have been more prevalent than usual in Texas and other states this year.
There have been more cases of West Nile virus reported so far this year than any year since the disease was first detected in the United States in 1999, the Centers for Disease Control said on its website.
- Father, we cry out to You for help in the midst of these difficult times. We know that You are the Mighty God who sees the hearts of all men. We ask You to intervene in our nation, and give America another chance to live.
-"The poor and needy seek water, but there is none; their tongues are parched with thirst. I, the Lord, will answer them; I, the God of Israel, do not forsake them." [Isaiah 41:17]
5. Economic recovery is weakest since World War II - AP
The recession that ended three years ago this summer has been followed by the feeblest economic recovery since the Great Depression.
- Pray that Americans will realize the underlying causes of this economic disaster. May we see our own greed, and be convicted by it. May we see our many sins that have reached to the shores of Heaven, and repent.
- "and repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His Name to all the nations" [Luke 24:47]
6. Seven American Troops Die in Afghan Helicopter Crash- AP
The international military force in Afghanistan says seven American troops are among the 11 people who died in a Blackhawk helicopter crash in the country's south. A Taliban spokesman says the insurgents shot down the aircraft but the NATO-led force said it is still investigating the cause.
- Lord, may Your comfort and peace come to the families who have lost loved ones in the Afghanistan war, and especially for tragedies like this helicopter crash. We pray for Your Heavenly Host to be fully deployed around our troops for protection, and miracles throughout this region.
-"Show me a sign of Your goodness; my enemies will see and be put to shame because You, Lord, have helped and comforted me." [Psalm 86:17]
7. a) Security guard shot in attack on Family Research Council - The Hill
A security guard was shot in an attack Wednesday morning at the Family Research Council building in Washington D.C.'s Chinatown. (Read more)
b) Gunman With Chick-Fil-A Bag Opens Fire At Conservatives >- Fox News
A security guard at the Family Research Council's headquarters in Washington, D.C. is being hailed as a hero after he stopped a gunman posing as an intern, taking a bullet in the arm before wrestling the suspect to the ground. (Read more)
The following is a report shared by someone who was inside the building at the time of the shooting:
"A quick note to say thanks for your prayers. A brief summary because it is late and I just got in. At 1046am a man walked into the FRC HQ and opened fire on the security guard. Although he was hit in the arm, the guard overpowered the gunman and subdued him. The guard was armed only with the Holy Spirit. . .
It is interesting that only yesterday (Tuesday) there were roughly 50 intercessors praying in the room next to today's incident. They were praying fervently for FRC for most of the day. I believe that they brought God's protection to the building. . .
I watched the film of the incident and he was incredible. The gun was pointed at his head and hit his wrist. And he still wrestled the man down. Only the Spirit could have given him the strength and courage to do what he did . . . Bless you all for your support. This will only get worse if Christians don't get serious about their faith.
- Note: FRC has been declared a HATE GROUP by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC). Please email them and let them know that they bear some responsibility for this because of the evil they spread as an Anti-Christian organization.
- Give thanks to the Lord for the fast action shown by the security guard, Leo Johnson -- a man whom our D.C. police chief has hailed as a "hero." Ask the Lord to forgive Floyd Corkins, as well as the leaders of the SPLC, for they know not what they do. Thank Him that as we forgive, His grace is then released to bring judgment upon the wicked, leading them to salvation in Yeshua. Pray for the protection of Tony Perkins and the staff at FRC, as well as the many other pro-life, conservative organizations that are located in our nation's capital. Pray!
- "When the enemy comes in like a flood, The Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard against him." (Isaiah 59:19)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, And prudent in their own sight! " (Isaiah 5:20-21)
1. Israeli minister warns of 30-day war with Iran - UK Telegraph
A strike on Iran's nuclear sites would spark a 30-day war with missile attacks on Israel's cities and as many as 500 dead, according to the Israeli minister responsible for preparing home defences.
2. Obama set to assure Israel that, if all else fails, US will attack Iran by June 2013 -- TV report - Times of Israel
American and Israeli officials are working to arrange a meeting between US President Barack Obama and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at which the White House will assure Israel that the US will use force to stop Iran's nuclear weapons drive by next June at the latest if the Islamic Republic has not halted its program by then, Israel's Channel 10 news reported on Tuesday night.
3. Does Israel Face a December Deadline to Attack Iran? - Al Monitor
This December, the Iranians will present us with an impressive chesslike challenge. From that point onward, the route to checkmate will be a matter of just a few moves. Iran will complete its program to protect its nuclear project, with all its scientific, industrial and military components. Israel considers this stage to mark Iran's entry into an "immunity space". From this point onward, Iran will be able to continue developing its nuclear program without fear of an effective Israeli strike.
4. Ex-CIA Analyst Tells Us The Real Reason Israel Wants To Strike Iran Before The US Election - Business Insider
For months senior Israeli officials have said the "window of opportunity" for attacking Iran's nuclear facilities is "before the U.S. presidential election in November" because Iran's nuclear facilities will soon be in fortified underground bunkers out of the reach of Israeli bombs.
5. Demand for gas masks jumps as public's anxiety over possible war rises - Times of Israel
Public demand for gas masks, rehabbed bomb shelters and other protective measures has risen dramatically as Israelis have become increasingly jittery over a possible Israeli strike on Iran and the ensuing potential retaliation.
The Daily Jot
Daniel's vision and the Saudi-Iran summit
For centuries there has been a deadly rivalry between the two prominent sects of Islam--Shia and Sunni. Iran has emerged as the Shia power base, and Saudi Arabia, home of the Islamic holy city Mecca, is the core of the Sunnis. Analysts tend to believe the rift between the two is so deep that they would never work together, preferring to kill one another. This is only partially true. There is one issue that unites the two--the destruction of Israel. While Saudi Arabia is considered an ally of the United States, it is no friend to Israel and likely only tolerates America for its oil business. Iran is an enemy to both Israel and the US. Leaders from the two countries met this week to promote unity.
Western analysts who promote the position that Islam Shia and Sunni will never unite are sadly mistaken. While there is an ongoing power and theological struggle between the two, they are not beyond holding meetings to coordinate their evil against Jews and Americans. The recent meeting held in Mecca of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation was hosted by Saudi King Abdullah. Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was strategically at Abdullah's side in both the meeting and in welcoming the 55 other Islamic state leaders to the holy city meeting. It was a public demonstration of unity to underscore that the two leaders would work together when they can.
Rewind to March 4, 2007 when Ahmadinejad made his first state visit to Saudi Arabia and met with King Abdullah ahead of the Arab League summit in Riyadh. The New York Times reported: Ahmadinejad's first official visit to Saudi Arabia, which began Saturday, was marked by decidedly public shows of warmth and friendship between the leaders, as the men embraced, at times held hands in an Arab sign of close friendship, and smiled to cameras." Ahmadinejad told reporters afterward, "Both Iran and Saudi Arabia are aware of the enemies' conspiracies. We decided to take measures to confront such plots, and hopefully this will strengthen Muslim countries against oppressive pressures by the imperialist front."
The prophetic significance of these leaders showing unity is underscored in the book of Daniel chapter 2 when the kingdoms that rule the world are explained in an eschatological timeline. Verses 42 and 43 say, "And as the toes of the feet were part of iron and part of clay, so the kingdom shall be partly strong, and partly broken." When the iron and clay meet in unity, such as the divided rulers of Iran and Saudi Arabia in Mecca, we may be seeing how the Islamic nations would come to unite against Jerusalem in the end times. They are not united enough, however, to sustain their alliance during the colossal battle with the Lord as Ezekiel 38: 21 indicates: "every man's sword shall be against his brother."
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
On the Campaign Trail
Ryan Electrifies Conservative Base
Governor Mitt Romney's selection of Rep. Paul Ryan to be his running mate has clearly electrified the GOP's conservative base. According to reports, 10,000 people turned out to greet the Romney/Ryan team in Waukesha, Wisconsin, last night. There were huge crowds in North Carolina too.
Paul Ryan has added enthusiasm and energy to the ticket. Conservatives are excited about this young, dynamic leader, who is also serious about his Catholic faith. We will learn more about Ryan in the days and weeks ahead, but here are a few key points about his biography:
* Born in 1970, his father died unexpectedly when Ryan was just 16. That experience, Ryan says, forced him to grow up earlier than most teenagers.
* He knows what it is like to work hard. In high school, he worked at McDonalds. In college, he worked as a salesman for Oscar Meyer while earning a double major in economics and political science from Miami University in Ohio. And when he first moved to Washington, he waited tables at a popular Capitol Hill restaurant and worked as a fitness trainer.
* In the early 1990s, Ryan worked at Empower America and became a speechwriter for Jack Kemp, whom he considers his political mentor.
* In 1997, Ryan returned home to Janesville, Wisconsin, to work for a construction business founded by his great-grandfather. A year later, he ran for an open House seat and was elected to Congress at the age of 28.
* Ryan is an avid outdoorsman and hunter, has been married for 12 years and has three children. (Gary Bauer; Monday, August 13, 2012)
At FRC: A Left-wing Hate Crime
At FRC: A Left-wing Hate Crime
We have learned a lot more in the past 24 hours about yesterday's shooting at the Family Research Council. The gunman has been identified as Floyd Corkins, II of Herndon, Virginia. For the past six months, Corkins has been a volunteer at the DC Center for the Lesbian, Gay, Bi-Sexual, Transgender Community, also located in Washington, D.C.
According to media reports, Corkins had "a box of ammunition and 15 Chick-fil-A sandwiches in his backpack." For what purpose? Who knows. The FBI is still sorting that out. His obvious intention was to get into the building and shoot people. Thankfully, he was stopped by the heroic actions of Leo Johnson, a security guard at FRC.
The shooting at FRC was the fourth story on the CBS Evening News last night. All you learned was that shooter was reportedly upset with FRC's policies. The report was so vague you could have easily concluded that Corkins was a disgruntled employee. CBS completely avoided the main issues.
Do you recall when abortionist George Tiller was shot on a Sunday morning in May 2009? Within hours the Obama Administration had ordered U.S. marshals to be posted at abortion facilities all over America. Yesterday, the White House issued a perfunctory statement in President Obama's name, but no one was talking about posting federal agents at conservative organizations across the country.
As I always do when an event like this takes place, I went to various left-wing blogs to see the reaction of the self-described tolerant crowd. There were a significant number of people saying, "I disagree with FRC, but the violence has to stop." That was encouraging.
Unfortunately, a lot of people were also suggesting that the shooting was justified. Unbelievably, some were angry that the shooter failed to kill anyone! Others encouraged more violence.
After speaking with FRC President Tony Perkins yesterday, I did a lot of interviews defending FRC and the values we cherish. I hope the left will examine itself in the wake of this incident, which easily could have become a major horror story.
The continued demonization of people of faith, of anyone who believes marriage is between a man and a woman, of anyone who believes unborn children deserve protection, will inevitably lead to worse events than what happened yesterday.
Those of us who have been working in this arena can tell you that we receive frequent death threats, threats against our families and vile messages. At one point during my time at the Family Research Council, the threats were so frequent that security guards were parked in my driveway at our home 24 hours a day.
One final thought. While yesterday's shooting was a tragic event, it seems clear to me that it was deliberate act of terror meant to intimidate men and women of faith. It would also be tragic if there were even one person who believes in traditional values who allowed himself to be cowed by this violence. If that happens, the extremists have won.
In democratic societies, we don't settle policy disputes with bullets, but with ballots. I hope everyone reading this message will rededicate themselves to being active and responsible citizens. And, yes, that means voting this November! Make sure all your like-minded friends and family members are registered to vote. If they aren't sure if they are registered, they can use this helpful link. (Gary Bauer; 8/16/12)
Obama sued over latest attack on Constitution
Obama sued over latest attack on Constitution
Legal demand includes 'all records' of presidential order
Judicial Watch, the Washington-based organization that monitors government misbehavior and challenges it in court when needed, has filed a lawsuit demanding from the Obama administration the details of the new amnesty program that was installed by executive order.
Congress several times has turned back the idea of amnesty for illegal aliens, but Obama's plan allows immigrants who can prove they arrived in the U.S. before they reached 16, and now are 30 or younger, to obtain special permission to work in the U.S.
They also must have been living in the country at least five years and be in school or have graduated or served in the military. Tens of thousands of applicants lined up this week and Obama's order took effect.
Now Judicial Watch has announced a lawsuit in federal court in Washington against the Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security. It is seeking documents related to the "Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals" order from Obama that was issued in June.
Judicial Watch said the new Obama policy allows certain illegal aliens to avoid deportation and take work in the United States. (WorldNetDaily) Read more.
- Pray that justice will be served when the court considers this lawsuit.
- " . . . but with righteousness he will judge the needy, with justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth. He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth; with the breath of his lips he will slay the wicked." (Isaiah 11:4)
More News from Israel
ISRAEL CRITICIZES PALESTINIAN DRIVE TO UPGRADE STATUS
AT UNITED NATIONS
"There is an attempt [by the Palestinians] to make unilateral moves in order to internationalize the conflict," Prosor told Israel Radio. "But beyond what are perhaps the feelings of frustration, it is important to remember that the path to peace really is through the negotiating table with Israel."
The PA is expected to get support from at least 130 nations, although a General Assembly resolution is not binding. Palestinians hope that acceptance in the General Assembly will eventually lead to a vote in the Security Council, which would be binding. The US has promised Israel that it will veto such a move.
A similar bid for statehood by PA President Mahmoud Abbas fizzled last September. Abbas is due to address the General Assembly on September 27 and will file the application for non-member status then.
Israeli officials said Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has not decided whether to attend the General Assembly meeting. The debate begins on September 25, which is the day before the Jewish fast day of Yom Kippur [Day of Atonement].
Palestinian analysts said the decision to move forward at the UN shows Palestinians' frustration with the lack of serious negotiations with Israel. Palestinians say an independent state must be based on the June 4, 1967 borders and include all of the West Bank and Gaza Strip, with East Jerusalem as its capital.
Israeli officials say East Jerusalem, which Israel annexed in 1967, must remain part of Israel, and that Israel cannot safely withdraw to the June 1967 lines. (By The Media Line, August 5, 2012)
- Pray that the Arabs in Judea, Samaria and Gaza will concentrate on a peace plan as their primary objective.
- "Deceit is in the heart of those who devise evil, but counselors of peace have joy." (Proverbs 12:20)
[Reported by BFP: Bridges for Peace]
Dark Clouds Gathering
There are disturbing headlines from the Middle East today about the possibility of war between Israel and Iran. If a war breaks out, there will be an attempt by many on the left to blame Israel. But the blame lies with Obama.
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has said repeatedly that it is his desire to "wipe Israel off the map." Israel has made it clear that it takes him seriously and views a nuclear-armed Iran as an existential threat.
Israel has begged this administration to do something serious when it comes to Iran's nuclear weapons program, to put real teeth in the sanctions. It has refused. The Wall Street Journal reported last month that "all 20 of Iran's major trading partners are now exempt" from the sanctions regime.
Israel does not want a war. But it is rightly determined to prevent a second Holocaust. (Source: Gary Bauer)
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner
NY: County Votes to Add "In God We Trust" to Chambers
At a time when the battle for faith and religious freedom has been elevated to the forefront of our national discourse, and government bodies are being pressured to remove God from their structures, the Oneida County Legislature is putting it up!
The board of legislators unanimously voted Wednesday to permanently display the words "In God We Trust" in their chambers. The idea was proposed by Legislator David Gordon of the 14th District to remind elected officials about their large role in the county and to have the community regain their trust in the system.
Gordon explains, "People are losing faith, they're losing faith in the system in their elected representatives, jobs are becoming very hard, food on the table is coming very hard and people are looking for something to believe in and they want that faith and why not bring that message home to the County Board of Legislatures...so people know that we are in the same boat as they are and that we're working towards a common cause. It is essentially just saying that we do deliberate on the basis that we do not discriminate against anybody. We are guided by that higher power that allows us to always keep everybody in mind. There is essentially a separation between church and state because we recognize everyone. People that believe and people who don't."
The battle for faith and religious freedom has elevated to unprecedented levels in this country; however, legislators and citizens across the United States are rising up to protect God's enduring and rightful place . . Read more
It is "In God We Trust,"
Lea Carawan, Executive Director
Congressional Prayer Caucus Foundation
Worship with Us Today!
Worship with Us Today!
LAMB OF GOD
O LAMB OF GOD SWEET LAMB OF GOD
I LOVE THE HOLY LAMB OF GOD
O WASH ME IN YOUR PRECIOUS BLOOD
TILL I AM JUST A LAMB OF GOD