Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"Partners in Prayer for Our Nation"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Tuesday, August 28, 2012
"I will hear what God the Lord will speak, For He will speak peace To His people and to His saints." (Psalm 85:8)
The Daily Brief
1. GOP votes to nominate Romney - The Hill
TAMPA, Fla. - The Republican Party on Tuesday voted to nominate Mitt Romney as its candidate for president in 2012.
Now all Romney has to do is accept.
In a formal but anticlimactic roll call of states, GOP delegates to the Republican National Convention ratified the results of the primary process and tapped the former Massachusetts governor as its standard-bearer against President Obama this fall.
Romney's nomination won't become official until he delivers his acceptance speech on Thursday, campaign officials said. At that point, he will legally be able to spend money raised for the general election campaign.
- Well, the Republican Candidate for President of the United States of America has now been named; and we already know who the Democrats will name. So, the race is on. All indicators are that, without prayer, this is going to be the most divisive, most vitriolic, most bitter, and most possibly dangerous presidential campaign in the history of our nation.
But with God, and with prayer, all things are possible; and all of these evil plans can and will be brought down by the Blood of the Lamb, the Word of our testimony, and by loving our lives not unto death. (Rev. 12:11)
Over the next 70 days of this campaign season, and day by day, let us be careful to approach His Throne of Grace with clean hands and with pure hearts, so that He might indeed hear our supplications. Pray for the safety of all candidates, their families, and their staff members, and continue to rejoice that His hand rests upon us all.
- "I will subdue all your enemies." (I Chronicles 17:10)
2. Deal struck to avoid messy floor fight at GOP convention - The Hill
Republican Party officials struck a last-minute deal Monday night in an attempt to avert a messy convention floor battle with supporters of Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas).
- Tonight, there are still many raw feelings on the floor of the RNC Convention Center in Tampa, as this episode was truly a bitter fight for power, and for rules that will endure beyond this election. Offer prayer over this situation, and ask that our Lord would touch the hearts of those who have been wounded in this battle, that each might find the place of forgiveness and that unity be restored within the Republican Party. Only a unified camp has any chance of winning this election, now only 70 days away . . .
- "A kingdom divided against itself cannot stand." (Mark 3:24)
3. GOP OKs platform barring abortions, gay marriage - Fox News
Republicans emphatically approved a toughly worded party platform at their national convention Tuesday that would ban all abortions and gay marriages, reshape Medicare into a voucher-like program and cut taxes to energize the economy and create jobs. (Read more)
- Offer praise for a platform that upholds biblical values Praise God!
- "Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people." (James 14:34)
4. Soldiers allegedly plotted to kill Obama, oust government - The Hill
Army soldiers formed a militia group in Georgia that plotted to overthrow the U.S. government - and they killed a fellow soldier and his girlfriend to keep the plot secret, prosecutors alleged Monday, according to the Associated Press. Read more.
- As above, pray for the protection of both Mitt Romney and Barack Hussein Obama during this campaign.
- "For whatever is hidden is meant to be disclosed, and whatever is concealed is meant to be brought out into the open." (Mark 4:22)
"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us-whatever we ask-we know that we have what we asked of him." (I John 5:14,15)
5. Isaac becomes a hurricane, New Orleans closes floodgates - Fox News
After days of maintaining tropical-storm level winds, Isaac strengthened Tuesday into to Category 1 hurricane. The U.S. National Hurricane center says the hurricane is just 15 miles south-southwest of the mouth of the Mississippi River and is moving northwest near 8 mph. The hurricane's maximum sustained winds are near 80 mph.
- Other news sources are reporting a predicted storm surge to hit New Orleans between 12 - 15 feet high. We continue to lift up all who are in the path of this mighty storm, for protection. May our Lord shelter all who are there under His wing. Amen.
- "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
6. Muslims Plan 3-Day Jumah Event to Pressure Democratic Convention
- Arutz Sheva
Approximately 20,000 Muslims are expected to attend a three-day event called "Jumah at the DNC," according to the published itinerary of the upcoming Democratic National Convention to be held in Charlotte, North Carolina.
The Jumah event is being sponsored by the Bureau of Indigenous Muslim Affairs (BIMA, the national Muslim American non-profit organization that seeks status with the United Nations as a non-governmental organization (NGO).
The Charlotte Observer reported that the event will kick off August 29 with a Friday afternoon jumah prayer service in Marshall Park in uptown Charlotte, followed by an Islamic issues conference that will address such topics as "Islamophobia, Anti-Shariah, Middle Eastern Crisis, the Patriot Act, the National Defense Authorization Act." This will be capped off with the Islamic Regal Banquet and an Islamic cultural festival.
- Stay tuned for more news about this event, and offer prayer of thanksgiving that the hand of our enemy is being exposed: he is now directly aligned with one political party in our nation, and he has an agenda. Cry out to God to spare us from the encroaching and growing influence of Islam in America. We are one nation under God -- not allah. In Jesus' Name, amen.
- 'This far you may come and no farther; here is where your proud waves halt'. (Job 38:11)
7. Iranian warship transits Suez with arms for Assad - World Tribune
Egypt has again allowed an Iranian Navy ship to pass the Suez Canal toward Syria. "The Egyptian Navy refused a U.S. request to strike an Iranian ship loaded with weapons that was on its way to Syria through the Suez Canal," said Mohab Mamish, chairman of the Suez Canal Authority.
- As the situation in and around Syria continues to intensify, maintain your watch and pray in the spirit, accordingly. Things now seem to be spiralling out of control; but we know that our God is yet in control of the affairs of men. We do not know what the future holds, but we know Who holds the future. Praise His Holy Name! Amen.
- "I will stand on my guard post And station myself on the rampart; And I will keep watch to see what He will speak to me, And how I may reply when I am reproved." (Habakkuk 2:1)
8. Iran shields covert nuclear activities from spy satellites - Israel Hayom
In what appears to be another indication of a clandestine military nuclear program in Iran, the U.S.-based Institute for Science and International Security released new satellite imagery on Friday showing suspicious activity at the Parchin military base near Tehran.
- Lord, remove the shield of deception. We pray for all leaders making decisions - especially in Israel - about what they are seeing on satellite imagery. Let them know that You are the only true shield. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- "He shall cover you with his feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler." (Psalm 91:4)
9. US sending aircraft carrier back to Persian Gulf four months early
- Times of Israel
The US is deploying a large aircraft carrier to the Persian Gulf, the Department of Defense confirmed Thursday, cutting short leave for thousands of soldiers to send them back to the Middle East ahead of schedule.
- Lord, we pray protection and guidance for this aircraft carrier, and for those servicemen and women it is carrying. Lord, we pray the US will align with Israel, and not be part of the nations that will gather against Israel. Lord, give us a Commander in Chief, and military leaders who will keep the alignment with Israel. In the name of Jesus, the Messiah, we pray. Amen.
- "For they are spirits of demons, performing signs, which go out to the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty." (Revelation 16:16)
10. Analysis: Brotherhood taking total control of Egypt - Jerusalem Post
While the world persists in looking for signs of pragmatism in the Egyptian president, Mohamed Morsy is quietly taking over all the power bases in the country.
- Lord, we pray for an awakening to what is happening in Egypt, the Islamic movement, and the influences of the movement in our own country. Open the souls, hearts, eyes, ears, and minds to know the truth in the name of Jesus. Amen.
- "Return, O Lord. How long? and have compassion on Your servants. Oh, satisfy us early with Your mercy, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days! Make us glad according to the days in which You have afflicted us, the years in which we have seen evil. Let Your work appear to Your servants, and Your glory to their children. And let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands for us; Yes, establish the work of our hands." (Psalm 90: 13-17)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Turn us again, O God, and cause Your face to shine, and we shall be saved!" (Psalm 80:3)
1. Morsy seeking 'balance,' reassures Israel on peace - Jerusalem Post
Egypt's new Islamist president said on Monday he would pursue a "balanced" foreign policy, reassuring Israel its peace treaty was safe, hinting at a new approach to Iran and calling on Syrian Bashar Assad's allies to help lever the Syrian leader out.
2. IDF strikes Gaza weapons factories - Ynet News
The IDF retaliated to the recent firing of rockets at Sderot and bombed two weapons production and storage facilities in the northern Gaza Strip overnight. The IDF confirmed the report.
3. In 'increasingly Islamist' region, Israel may be headed for war, IDF intelligence chief warns - Times of Israel
In an ever-more-volatile Middle East, the prospect of a military confrontation between Israel and its neighbors is fast becoming a tangible possibility, the IDF's intelligence chief warned on Monday.
The Daily Jot
Al Gore and the "Book of Revelations"
Former Vice President Al Gore told leftist group TakePart.com that global warming has reached such a height that "every night on the news now, practically, it lie a nature hike through the book of Revelations." Al Gore the prophet is no more accurate than Al Gore the global warming alarmist. It is the book of Revelation, Mr. Gore. It has nothing to do with long term weather patterns. It has a lot to do with YHVH's judgment on earth and setting things right with mankind. Gore apparently hasn't heard that the scientists at the University of East Anglia's Climate Research Unit (CRU), the official source of global warming/climate change data, fabricated the data. It is a lie perpetuated by politicians.
Gore was promoting his new slideshow on global warming, saying that people are suffering from the consequences of man-made global warming, ignoring that people have suffered weather cycles for millennia. The UK Telegraph, once an advocate of global warming, had a turn about in 2008. Environmentalist reporter James Delingpole blew the whistle on scientists after he obtained 1079 emails and 72 documents from the CRU. He wrote in 2009 that scientists were practicing "Conspiracy, collusion in exaggerating warming data, possibly illegal destruction of embarrassing information, organized resistance to disclosure, manipulation of data, private admissions of flaws in their public claims and much more."
Also in December of 2008 some 650 scientists refuted Gore's concept of global warming. Nobel Prize winner for physics Ivar Giaever said, "I am a skeptic. . . Global warming has become a new religion." One of the UN's own IPCC scientists from Japan, Dr. Kiminori Itoh, said in the report that global warming fears are "the worst scientific scandal in the history...When people come to know what the truth is, they will feel deceived by science and scientists." Environmental scientist Delgado Domingos of Portugal says, "The present alarm on climate change is an instrument of social control, a pretext for major businesses and political battle."
Genesis 1:28 defines man's role in the environment, "And God blessed them, and God said unto them, be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion . . . over every living thing that moves upon the earth." And after the great flood of Noah's time, God promised in Genesis 8:22, "While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease." Jesus said in Matthew 24:4, "Take heed that no man deceive you." Only God the Creator has power to destroy earth. Man is its steward. And we should not be deceived by men who are using fear of the earth's destruction to create a new religion, a new social order.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
On the Campaign Trail
70 Days to Election Day
Courting The Faithful At The Conventions
Cardinal Timothy Dolan is no stranger to controversy. As the head of America's Catholic Church, Dolan has been a staunch defender of traditional values, as well as an outspoken critic of Obama's contraception mandate, which forces religious institutions to violate their core values. Last week Dolan made headlines when it was announced that he would be delivering the closing prayer at the Republican National Convention. Some saw it as an endorsement of Mitt Romney.
But the New York Post reported Friday that Cardinal Dolan had reached out to the Democrats "a few weeks ago" with an offer to deliver the benediction at the Democratic National Convention as well, so as to avoid any appearance of partisan favor. According to the cardinal's spokesman, he received no response.
The Post's report and the perceived slight to the nation's top Catholic cleric evidently got the attention of the DNC. It was announced today that Cardinal Dolan will be permitted to pray at the Democratic National Convention after all. How tolerant of them.
Meanwhile, there are reports that as many as 20,000 Muslims will be gathering in Charlotte, North Carolina, this Friday in advance of the Democratic National Convention for their prayer event. But the real purpose of the two-hour event is to draw attention to "Islamophobia" and anti-terrorism policies in the United States. Dr. Zuhdi Jasser of the American Islamic Forum for Democracy warns:
"It is troubling that the Democratic National Convention has decided to promote and lend its name and national political platform to the organizers of the 'Jummah at the DNC.' The leaders of this event -- Jibril Hough and Imam Siraj Wahhaj as advertised are no moderates. They are radicals. These individuals embrace Islamist supremacy and have demonstrated support for radical ideologies." (Gary Bauer)
Can A Christian Vote For a Mormon?
Can A Christian Vote For a Mormon?
By: Todd Hudnall
Pastor, Radiant Church, Colorado Springs, CO
[Excerpts. To read this article in its entirety, go here.]
It is vital that believers know who they are in Jesus and what their responsibility is to this nation that He has given to us. I really like what this pastor said, "We are electing a national president not a national pastor." This is one that you may want to circulate.
Blessing to each of you,
Submitted by: Mary Murphy
In the coming Presidential election there are three options - to vote for Barack Obama, to vote for Mitt Romney or not to vote at all. To vote for an independent candidate is to throw away your vote. For a Biblical Christian there are actually only the two options. Refusing to vote is contrary to the will of God.
According to the Scripture we are compelled to participate in the governmental system (Rom 13:1-7; Matt 22:21), being salt and light within it (Matt. 5:13-16). God is emphatic that complacency and apathy are totally unacceptable for a person of Biblical faith (Prov. 1:32, Amos 6:1). In the words of Edmund Burke, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." In addition, a great price has been paid to ensure our voting privilege and as a matter of conscience, every believer should register to vote, be informed on the issues and vote.
Though Supreme Court Chief, Justice John Jay, famously insisted on the preference of Christian leaders in our government, the U.S. Constitution has no such requirement nor does the New Testament. Our nation has enjoyed many outstanding leaders who were people of Biblical faith, we have also had weak leaders and unscrupulous public officials who professed faith in Christ. In addition, America has had leaders lacking Biblical faith who governed prudently and successfully. It's important to remember, we're electing a national president not a national pastor.
. . . Christians should select a candidate based on Biblical criteria of leadership and values. First, does the candidate have the mental and emotional strength, as well as the moral character traits, to serve as the President of the United States? Second, does he embrace Biblical values? In failing to consider whether the candidate values what God values, we are voting without God's consent (Hos. 8:4 NIV). Too many believers go into a voting booth to pull a lever or mark a card without consulting God's Word.
There are certain Biblical values that are critical to consider when voting for a candidate for any public office. No single party fully reflects the values of the Kingdom of God, so we must do our research and consider each candidate individually. Among those that I look for include:
Upholding the United States Constitution and the laws of our nation. (Rom 13:1-4; Prov 14:34)
Supporting the nation of Israel (Gen 12:3).
Valuing the sanctity of life (Gen 1:27, Ex 20:13).
Promoting freedom of religion.
Honoring the traditional definition of marriage (Gen 2:24).
Wisely stewarding our national resources and national treasury (Gen 1:28).
Defending our nation from attack.
Pursuing a just society.
. . . In all of this make sure you don't fall into the angry, sarcastic and acrimonious attacks that are so common this political season. In so doing, you can alienate the people you are trying to reach and be a very poor witness for Christ. To be hateful under the guise of Christian virtue is ungodly and counter productive. All people, including those who do not hold our values, are people made in the image of God and worthy of respect.
Elections have consequences and who sits in the Oval Office matters. Yet, never forget the real solution to our world problems doesn't ride in on Air Force One.4 He rides in the Heavens and reigns over the earth (Ps. 68:4, 33). He is the ultimate sovereign and the only one who can restore our nation.
[Note from CHPP: Please address any comments about this article directly to Pastor Hudnall, by going here. Thank you!]
20,000 Moslems to Converge upon Charlotte, N.C.
August 31 to Sept 1: Muslim Prayer EVENT
in Charlotte, N. Carolina
Read about this event by going here.
- Many of us prayed daily during the recent 30 days of the Islamic time of fasting called ramadan. Let us not cease praying for the souls of these ones who are looking up, but in the wrong direction. Only Jesus Christ can bring salvation to a man, through His atoning work at the Cross.
- "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9)
Update from David's Tent
Less than 30 days to go!
-- Update from David's Tent
Advertise this in your church. Get a delegation together and go to DC sometime between Sept. 25 and election day. Folks this is important.
(RJ in Texas)
Yesterday marked 30 days until the kickoff of David's Tent! We are so excited for what God is already doing and will continue to do. Our team actually began a 30 day continuous prayer watch on the ellipse last night leading up to the kickoff of the tent. We believe that we don't have to wait for September 25th to see breakthrough in America, but that even over these next thirty days there will be a mighty move of His Spirit across our nation!
Check out this short video from me and Jason about our watch.
We invite you to join with us in prayer over these next thirty days. Our team still needs incredible favor and grace as we work hard putting everything together to make David's Tent happen. And more importantly America needs awakening to Jesus! Thank you so much for your spiritual covering and continued support.
Please continue to forward our email updates, share the videos, and spread the word! See you September 25th!
Seven Years to Repent
"SEVEN YEARS to REPENT" - Hurricane Isaac.
Storm Hits on the Week of "Southern Decadence," Homosexual Convention
-by 'Kelly' & also J. McTernan.
I am STRUCK by the understanding of the seven-year period since Hurricane Katrina. SEVEN YEARS AGO, Katrina struck New Orleans during the WEEK OF THE HOMOSEXUAL CONVENTION known as "SOUTHERN DECADENCE." Now Hurricane Isaac is scheduled to hit New Orleans once again - exactly SEVEN YEARS LATER TO THE DAY (August 29th) on the first day of the "Southern Decadence" annual convention. How much more blatant can the King of the Universe be? He gave this nation a grave warning, and then - according to His great mercy - He gave us SEVEN YEARS to REPENT.
In Hebraic understanding, seven years means "completion." The opportunity for repentance is complete, but this nation has not only refused to repent of this sin, which God calls an abomination (Leviticus 20:13), but it has greatly encouraged and promoted it, from state to state and throughout the U.S. military.
The word Isaac means "laughter." Psalm 2:4 "He who sits in the heavens shall laugh; the LORD shall hold them in derision." Psalm 37:11-13: "The wicked plot against the just, and gnashes at him with his teeth. The LORD laughs at him, for He sees that his day is coming."
I do not believe this means our God is taking delight in wiping out the wicked (those who reject Him and scoff at His Word) ; but I do believe it means that He will NOT be mocked, and He WILL prove Himself to be a God of justice, who does what He says He will do.
Let us be sober-minded, friends, and let us be in much prayer for this nation as ISAAC churns toward the Gulf Coast... The timing of Hurricane Isaac with Southern Decadence is a sign that God's patience with America's sin is coming to an end.
-PLEASE COMMENT on this topic at the website below-
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner
Meir Soloveichik, scion of a famous Orthodox dynasty,
will give the Republicans' invocation
With all the speculation in recent weeks over whether Mitt Romney would tap a fellow Mormon to deliver a prayer at the Republican National Convention, one never would have guessed that the opening invocation would be delivered by a rabbi. But on Tuesday afternoon, when the convention makes its belated beginning after being postponed due to inclement weather, Rabbi Dr. Meir Soloveichik will be the clergyman kicking off the proceedings.
If the name Soloveichik sounds familiar, that's no surprise: The 35-year-old rabbi-who graduated summa cum laude from Yeshiva University, then went on to Yale Divinity School, and received his PhD in religion from Princeton in 2010-is a scion of one of Orthodoxy's most celebrated rabbinic dynasties. And like many of his family members who manage to keep one foot firmly in the Beit Midrash and the other in the public square, Meir Soloveichik certainly gets around.
. . . A prolific writer for conservative publications like Commentary and the Christian journal First Things, Solly-as he is known to friends and acquaintances-has consistently taken provocative positions on subjects as diverse as hate (sometimes a virtue; "in the Jewish religion") and Jesus. In January 2012, he joined a group of prominent conservative bioethicists in an amicus brief opposing stem-cell research. A month later, Soloveichik testified before Congress against the Obama Administration's mandate requiring Catholic employers to provide contraception coverage and co-authored a Wall Street Journal op-ed with prominent Christian leaders deeming the mandate an infringement on religious liberty. (His position on the matter evoked harsh criticism from other prominent members of the American Jewish community.)
But despite his staunch conservative views, Soloveichik does not present himself as a fiery ideologue. Instead, he is known for making his arguments affably, with a disarming sense of humor and wry self-awareness at the controversial nature of many of his stances. At his 2006 lecture on torture at the University of Scranton, where he was invited by noted Judaic Studies scholar Marc Shapiro, he opened by observing: "Professor Shapiro seems to only bring me in for specific subjects-he had me first here in the religious department to defend hate, and now he has me here to defend torture. Next time, cannibalism, I think." He revels in being contrarian, as he explained in that lecture: "I do work a lot on arguing that things which people assume are always wrong are not necessarily so and indeed can often be right."
. . . Whether Soloveichik continues this work at Yeshiva University, takes up the post of Britain's chief rabbi, or further cultivates his persona as a conservative public intellectual, one thing is certain: As this unusual rabbi ascends from the synagogue lectern to the podium of the Republican National Convention, the Jewish community and world at large are witnessing a harbinger of things to come. (By Yair Rosenberg, Tablet Online Magazine) Read more.
- We offer praise that Rabbi Soloveichik gave this invocation today, and we thank our Lord for this blessing. In His Name, amen.
- "Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord!" (Psalm 150:6)
Worship with Us Today!
Worship with Us Today!
You're the Lion of Judah
You're the Lion of Judah, the Lamb that was slain
You ascended to heaven and ever more will reign
At the end of the age when the earth You reclaim
You will gather the nations before You