Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"Partners in Prayer for Our Nation"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Thursday, August 9, 2012
"At the acceptable time I listened to you, and on the day of salvation
I helped you." (2 Corinthians 6:2)
The Daily Brief
1. a) Saudi Arabia says it will intercept Israeli planes en route to Iran
- Times of Israel
Saudi Arabia will not permit Israeli aircraft to cross its territory on the way to strike Iran, Yedioth Ahronoth reported on Thursday. The message was passed to Jerusalem via Obama administration officials during recent talks in Israel.
b) Obama gets new U.S. NIE: Iran making surprising progress toward military nuclear capability - Ha'aretz
President Barack Obama recently received a new National Intelligence Estimate report on the Iranian nuclear program, which shares Israel's view that Iran has made surprising, significant progress toward military nuclear capability, Western diplomats and Israeli officials have informed Haaretz.
- Lord, we pray that You will intervene as promised in the Bible, as nation after nation allies itself against Israel.
- "Thus will I magnify Myself, and sanctify Myself; and I will be known in the eyes of many nations; and they shall know that I am the Lord." [Ezekiel 38:23]
2. Israeli scholar completes mission to 'fix' Bible - USA Today
For the past 30 years, Israeli Judaic scholar Menachem Cohen has been on a mission of biblical proportions: Correcting all known textual errors in Jewish scripture to produce a truly definitive edition of the Old Testament.
- Father, let Your truth be proclaimed throughout the earth, and especially to the Jews. We pray that however this man does his translation, it will be truthful and loving revelation to Your Chosen Ones.
- "For we were bondmen; yet our God has not forsaken us in our bondage, but has extended mercy unto us " [Ezra 9:9a]
3. Obama Says Election Will 'Tip the Balance' on the Supreme Court - CNS News
President Barack Obama, campaigning in the swing state of Colorado Wednesday, decided to make the Supreme Court a key issue for the presidential campaign, after earlier focusing on his health care overhaul law, free contraception and funding for Planned Parenthood.
- Father, we pray that You will choose the members of the Supreme Court in the years to come: men and women who are righteous and walk by Your Word and by the Constitution. We ask Your prevention of any changes that are not according to Your will.
- "By the blessing of the upright the city is exalted; but it is overthrown by the mouth of the wicked."[Proverbs 11:11]
4. a) US Drought Impacts Global Food Security - VOA News
The United States is the leading producer of corn and soybeans -- two commodities that developing countries rely on. However, over the past two months, prices have risen sharply as the U.S. experiences its worst drought since the 1950s. A food policy expert says effectively responding to the drought can help prevent another global food crisis.
b) Ouch! July in U.S. was hottest on record - Washington Times
This probably comes as no surprise: Federal scientists say July was the hottest month ever recorded in the Lower 48 states, breaking a record set during the Dust Bowl era in the 1930s.
- Father, we continually ask Your mercy over the land of America, that her "amber waves of grain" not be destroyed from the face of the earth. We pray a hedge of Your protection for the livestock, the land, the farmers, and all who provide food for the world.
-"And I sought for man among them, that should make up a hedge, and stand in the gap before Me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none." [Ezekiel 22:30]
5. Report: IRS turned blind eye to fraud -The Hill
The IRS showed more interest in processing applications for a taxpayer identification number than in vetting those requests for fraud, according to a federal audit publicly released Wednesday.
- Lord, we pray that blind eyes will see - and seeing eyes will be blind, in this battle within the government. Give wisdom to those who are attempting to find fraud, that Your people not be picked up by mistake in the battle.
-"Keep me from the traps which they have laid for me, and the snares of the workers of iniquity." [Psalm 141:9]
6. Over 100 Million Now Receiving Federal Welfare - Weekly Standard
A new chart set to be released later today by the Republican side of the Senate Budget Committee details a startling statistic: "Over 100 Million People in U.S. Now Receiving Some Form Of Federal Welfare."
- As America's ever increasing march toward socialism continues, we pray for Your Holy Spirit to move in the lives of Americans who have felt so hopeless that they have had to ask the government to support them. We pray for their lives and hearts to turn toward You for their help.
-"Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the Name of the Lord our God." [Psalm 20:7]
7. Marriage Remains Protected in Hawaii -Alliance Defending Freedom
A federal court Wednesday upheld Hawaii's definition of marriage as one man and one woman. The court rejected a lawsuit that sought to tear down the state's law defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman and Hawaii's constitutional amendment that gives the legislature the power to maintain the timeless definition.
- Thank You, Lord, for this bit of good news in the continual court battles against marriage!
-"All the ends of the world shall remember and turn unto the Lord: and all the kindreds of the nations shall worship before You." [Psalm 22:27]
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Not unto us, O LORD, not unto us, but unto Your name give glory, for Your mercy, and for Your truth's sake. Why should the nations say, Where is their God? But our God is in the heavens. He has done whatever He has pleased." (Psalm 115:1-3)
1. Official says Israel picked up phone chatter between Lebanon and Burgas before bombing - Times of Israel
A senior Israeli official says Jerusalem has evidence of extensive phone traffic between Lebanon and Burgas, Bulgaria, in the months leading up to the July 18 suicide bombing at the Burgas airport which saw five Israeli tourists and their Bulgarian bus driver killed.
2. Israel fears UN chief's visit to Iran will undermine efforts to thwart nuclear program - Ha'aretz
United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has decided to participate in the upcoming summit of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) scheduled to take place in Tehran at the end of the month, according to well-placed sources in New York.
3. Israeli intelligence cracks massive Hezbollah bomb plot - Israel Hayom
Israel has foiled a massive plot to carry out a "mega-attack" or wave of several deadly terrorist attacks against Israeli targets, it was announced on Wednesday. The Israel Police's Northern District's Border Unit and the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) scored a significant intelligence success by uncovering an Israeli-Arab cell smuggling weapons and explosives from Lebanon into Israel.
The Daily Jot
The prophetic end of American Exceptionalism
There are two studies recently published that should send a cold chill down the spine of every American taxpayer. The first is reported by The Weekly Standard of a study released by the Senate Budget Committee saying that over 100 million people are now receiving federal welfare. The other, a study released by the National Bureau of Economic Research, indicates that nearly half (46%) of American seniors die with less than $10,000 to their names. To sustain a nation, it must be economically viable, yet these two reports suggest that nearly a third of US residents are receiving some type of welfare, and that our seniors are so dependent on Social Security that they are dying in poverty.
The Bureau of Economic Research report says: "We find that a substantial fraction of persons die with virtually no financial assets-46.1 percent with less than $10,000-and many of these households also have no housing wealth and rely almost entirely on Social Security benefits for support. In addition this group is disproportionately in poor health. Based on a replacement rate comparison, many of these households may be deemed to have been well-prepared for retirement...Yet with such low asset levels, they would have little capacity to pay for unanticipated needs such as health expenses or other financial shocks or to pay for entertainment, travel, or other activities."
The Senate Budget Committee quotes the US Census Survey of Income and Program Participation, showing there are nearly 110 million people who received a welfare benefit in 2011. That means that two-thirds of the US population is paying for the one-third's free ride. But it is worse than that. These statistics did not include Social Security and Medicare recipients. They do, however, include non-citizens--translated: illegal immigrants. Another report from the Center for Immigration Studies show that 43 percent of immigrants who have been in the country at least 20 years were on welfare. The burden of hard working Americans increases each day because the government taxes and spends us into oblivion.
The federal government is enslaving Americans of all ages through its entitlement programs. There is no conceivable way to sustain a nation of free people if this is allowed to continue. In Luke 10:7, Yeshua says "for the laborer is worthy of his hire." Exodus 18:21 tells us to choose leaders who are "able men, such as fear YHVH, men of truth, hating covetousness." Our worth is coveted by our leaders and they are squeezing the lifeblood from the nation. They are also using our wages to advance the cause of the enemies of YHVH. We hardly want to admit it, but as Peter said, "For the time has come that judgment must begin at the house of YHVH." Are we witnessing the prophetic end to American exceptionalism because of spiritual and economic bankruptcy?
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Amazing Grace of Christian Worker Berated in Viral Video
Smith, the protester later apologized to Rachel saying, "You handled my frustrating rant with such dignity and composure. Every time I watch the video I am blown away by really the beauty in what you did, and your kindness, and your patience with me."
(Arizona, USA)-It was the calm demeanor and graciousness of young Chick-fil-A worker, Rachel, in the face of an unwarranted verbal assault that has obviously impacted the angry protester; Adam Smith.
Last Wednesday, Smith went through the drive-thru window at an Arizona Chick-fil-A asking for a "free water" and unleashing his barrage of dissent at Rachel (who only gave her first name) when he received it.
Rachel stayed calm and answered his insults in a very composed, professional and even friendly manner-making Smith's reviling seem even more harsh.
Smith recorded the entire exchange on his phone and then posted the video which soon went viral. However, later he was extremely remorseful, albeit after receiving public backlash and being fired from his job when his employer saw the recording.
Rachel explained, "I'm Christian and God tells us to 'love thy neighbor.'"
She added, "I was just really concerned about him taping. I knew he was going to post it. That was my main fear."
Smith eventually posted a videotaped apology to the young worker saying, "Rachel, I am so very sorry for the way I spoke to you on Wednesday. You handled my frustrating rant with such dignity and composure. Every time I watch the video I am blown away by really the beauty in what you did, and your kindness, and your patience with me."
Rachel says she would like to speak with Smith in person. "I want to see if he was sincere and let him know why I handled it the way I did and not take legal action, which a lot of people told me I should do," she said. (Source: Perry Chiaramonte - FOX News) Read more.
[Reported by: Aimee Herd, Breaking Christian News, August 9, 2012)
Worship with Us Today!
Worship with Us Today!
2nd Chapter Acts
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.