Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"Partners in Prayer for Our Nation"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Tuesday, August 21, 2012
"Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your
labor in the Lord is not in vain" (1 Corinthians 15:58)
The Daily Brief
1. Obama issues Syria a 'red line' warning on chemical weapons - Washington Post
President Obama said Monday that any attempt by Syria to move or use its chemical weapons would change his administration's "calculus" in the region, evoking the possibility of more direct U.S. intervention in the conflict.
- Lord, our president, his administration, and this country, must turn to You and rely on You for wisdom and protection. We pray for the leaders of Syria that You would move on their hearts with wisdom in what to do for their country. We trust You and intercede on their behalf in the name of Jesus. Amen.
- Then Abijah and his people struck them with a great slaughter; so five thousand choice men of Israel fell slain. Thus the children of Israel were subdued at that time; and the children of Judah prevailed, because they relied on the Lord God of their fathers. (2 Chronicles 13 17-18)
2. Bank of England deputy governor Paul Tucker warned banks they could collapse 'before Christmas' - UK Telegraph
Bank of England officials were so concerned about the potential for a financial crisis late last year they took the extraordinary step of warning the entire banking system could collapse "before Christmas".
- Lord, we pray You would instruct the banking system in England - and England as a whole- in the way they should go. Let them have understanding in what is happening, and what to do. Let them turn to You and have Your eyes to see. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye. Do not be like the horse or like the mule which has no understanding, which must be harnessed with bit and bridle, else they will not come near you.(Psalm 32: 8-9)
3. Crucial Senate Race in Uproar - Wall Street Journal
Fearing a likely election victory is now in doubt, Republican leaders and candidates on Monday called on Missouri Rep. Todd Akin to abandon his bid for a crucial Senate seat because of his suggestion that women's bodies can avert pregnancies in cases of "legitimate rape."
- Lord, we lift up Todd Akin to You, the Republican leaders and candidates, the media, and all involved in his comment. Lord, we ask You to intervene and speak truth by the Holy Spirit. Give understanding. Let the tongues speak from Your wisdom and guidance by the Holy Spirit. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly. (Proverbs 15:2)
4. Court Blocks Alabama Student Citizenship Checks - ABC News
A federal appeals court has ruled that part of Alabama's tough immigration law that ordered public schools to check the citizenship status of new students is unconstitutional.
- Lord, we ask You to intervene in the appeals court decision, and help Alabama know how to observe mercy and justice in regards to immigration. Lord, we are very concerned about the federal government overriding the states in their laws, and ask for Your help in solving the immigration issues. We ask for godly leaders and decisions to be raised up in the name of Jesus. Amen.
- So you, by the help of your God, return; Observe mercy and justice,and wait on your God continually. (Hosea 12:6)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
In that day this song shall be sung in the land of Judah: We have a strong city; He sets up salvation as our walls and banks. Open the gates, and the righteous nation shall enter in, keeping faithfulness.You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You - because he trusts in You. Trust in the LORD forever; for in the LORD YHWH is everlasting strength. (Isaiah 26:1-4)
1. Israel a 'cancerous tumor' and Middle East's biggest problem, Iranian supreme leader says - Times of Israel
Israel is a "cancerous tumor" and is the biggest problem facing the Muslim world, Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei said on Sunday, immediately after the international community condemned President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for making similar comments.
2. After buildup, Israel tells Egypt to remove tanks from Sinai - Times of Israel
Israel has told Egypt that it must remove its tanks from the Sinai peninsula because their continued presence is against the peace agreement between the two countries, Maariv reported on Tuesday.
3. Netanyahu 'determined to attack Iran' before US elections, claims Israel's Channel 10 - Times of Israel
Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu "is determined to attack Iran before the US elections," Israel's Channel 10 News claimed on Monday night, and Israel is now "closer than ever" to a strike designed to thwart Iran's nuclear drive.
4. Op-Ed: When Israel Strikes Iran in October - WND
Israel is in a political and security quandary. Officials are convinced it's only a matter of time before Iran uses its nuclear capability against the Jewish state, living up to the dire threats its leaders have been making for years now.
On the Campaign Trail
Romney's Mormonism to Be Center Stage in Tampa
A team of Mitt Romney advisers, producers, and designers has been scripting a Republican National Convention that one insider vows will not be "like anything you've seen at a convention before."
And a key decision has been made to highlight Romney's Mormon faith at the convention rather than to downplay it, Jeremy W. Peters reveals in The New York Times on Monday.
On the night that Romney addresses the convention, which begins on Aug. 27 in Tampa, Fla., a member of the Mormon Church will deliver the invocation.
Some members of the Romney team had argued that Romney should shy away from his faith. "But in the end, they decided to confront it head on - in addition to the invocation, Mr. Romney's work as a bishop in the Mormon Church will be on display," Peters reports.
"Despite concerns that his religion might alienate evangelicals and other conservatives, Mr. Romney and his advisers hope that his faith ultimately will be seen as a sign of strength of character, and his time as bishop as an example of his willingness to serve when called."
The overall goal will be to paint a "full and revealing portrait" of the Republican presidential candidate, according to Peters.
Other convention details he discloses include:
- Organizers have built a $2.5 million Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired theatrical stage designed "to convey warmth, approachability and openness."
- The convention hall will feature two musical stages, one for surprise acts and the second for the house band, which will be led by G. E. Smith, former musical director for "Saturday Night Live" and guitarist for Hall & Oates.
- The 6-foot-high podium will boast 13 video screens, the largest about 29 feet by 12 feet, all framed in dark wood.
- A digital clock mounted to one of the arena's upper rings will show the national debt as it continues to climb under President Obama.
- The theme of the convention, "A Better Future," was personally approved by Romney - who gained experience coordinating large-scale events when he headed the Olympic Organizing Committee for the 2002 winter games.
Russ Schriefer, a senior adviser who is heading convention planning for the campaign, told Peters: "This is our chance to lay out the arguments for why Barack Obama has failed and why Mitt Romney would do better, and to do that using a platform where 39 million people tune in to hear him speak, a lot of them for the first time." (Newsmax) Read more.
News from California
California Legislators Expected to Pass Controversial Counseling Bill
California Gov. Jerry Brown may soon have the opportunity to sign a bill that would make it illegal for counselors in the state to help minors with unwanted attractions to people of the same gender.
Sen. Ted Lieu of San Francisco authored S.B. 1172, which passed the Senate in May. On Aug. 8, it passed the General Assembly Appropriations Committee, and is expected to come up for a vote by the full Assembly by the end of the month.
"This bill is an outrageous violation of free-speech rights between a trained, licensed counselor and a patient that wishes to receive services," Pacific Justice Institute President Brad Dacus told Citizenlink. "This legislation, by denying them the ability to get care or treatment or counseling, victimizes them twice."
David Pickup, a licensed therapist in Glendale, told CitizenLink the bill would hurt a lot of people who need sexual orientation change effort (SOCE) treatment. And he has firsthand knowledge of the treatment - not only as a therapist, but as a recipient. He sought SOCE counseling many years ago, and said it's worked for him and several of his clients.
"It's going to create an immense problem for these people, and it also will trod on church and state rights issues, trod on parents' rights," and the rights of minors, said Pickup.
"For every client that I've seen who is motivated and who really does want to change and who doesn't get discouraged - who follows through and doesn't give up, there has been a significant and spontaneous lessening or dissipation of homosexual attraction," he said.
If the bill passes, he's not sure how it will impact his practice.
"That's why this bill is so dangerous. Who knows what's going to happen?" he said. "There are a lot of us, however, who are prepared to take action if it is signed by the governor." (By Bethany Monk, CitizenLink) Read more.
Terrorists are setting the fires all over the USA!
This video, produced by the American Center for Democracy, Economic Warfare Institute, shows a July 9th briefing on Capitol Hill, in which William Scott attributes these fires to the work of al Qaeda terrorists.
America is under economic attack by the starting of these fires. This is a national security issue.
- Please take the time to view this video for yourself, and to pray that all arsonists will be apprehended and brought to justice, and that any other arsonists plans to create "fire wars" will be foiled.
- "He frustrates the devices of the crafty, So that their hands cannot carry out their plans." (Job 5:12)
America's Fifth Column Saboteurs
America's Fifth Column Saboteurs
A fifth column is a group of unknown insurgents that fight from within a nation to aid a foreign invader. That foreign invader is an old enemy of God hating demonic hordes that despise what America stands for. They hate our God, nation and Christian culture.
We must come to grips with this truth; there are people that hate our Republic, U.S. Constitution, prosperity, middle-class, free enterprise system, private property ownership, history, culture and especially our God. These will stop at nothing short of the utter destruction of our country.
Christians believe the U. S. Constitution was penned by God fearing men that used biblical principles and divine inspiration to frame the government of the Republic. They also understood that God gave everyone a particular gift, their means of production, with a mandate from heaven to multiply, produce, increase, subdue and take dominion, this made possible only through hard work, thrift and a free market economy. When Marxists promote "socializing the means of production" through ballot or revolution that is an anti-Christ agenda.
The anti-American Marxist had to "exploit" causes that would encourage others to join. Causes like environmentalism, pollution control, crime and animal rights. It was necessary to exploit social injustices, racism and abuses of every kind. The object was to overwhelm the old American fabric, governing structures, and, especially the U.S. Constitution-by any means . . .
America has gone a long way down this road to perdition with most of Marx and Engels' agenda complete. Yet there is one problem these usurpers of liberty overlooked, that's the God of America. His name is Jesus Christ, the King of kings and the Lord of lords. Thomas Paine, one of the Republic's founding fathers said, "The cause of America is in a great measure the cause of all mankind. Where, some say, is the king of America? I'll tell you, friend, He reigns above." Just like Gideon of old that encountered the angel of the Lord so we too have awakened to the evil deeds of spiritual forces plotting against our nation.
Like thousands of others, I hear the sound of the patriots drum and a voice saying, "Arise thou mighty men of valor." And arise they have, patriots of the Republic with drawn swords of the Spirit of Liberty ready to take back their nation. We are "One Nation, under God, with Liberty and Justice for All."Your partner,
Apostle Jonas Clark
[This article is an excerpt from the original. Please go here to read about the Fifth Column in its entirety.]
- Decree the Word of the Lord over the United States Constitution. His Word will not return void, and will stand. Amen.
- " Do not move the ancient boundary Which your fathers have set." (Proverbs 22:28)
Iran Will Have a Nuclear-bomb by October 1
DEBKAfile Exclusive Report - August 13, 2012
A Note from Act for America:
Gerard Direct recently posted the article below (highlights added), one which has been largely lost amid the clamor of the election campaigns and the continuing drumbeat of bad economic news.
(DebkaFile article begins here.) At its present rate of enrichment, Iran will have 250 kilograms of 20-percent grade uranium, exactly enough to build its first nuclear bomb, in roughly six weeks, and two-to- four bombs by early 2013, debkafile's military and intelligence sources report. Hence the leak by an unnamed Israeli security source Sunday, Aug. 12, disclosing Iran's progress in developing the detonator and fuses for a nuclear warhead which can be fitted onto Shehab-3 ballistic missiles capable of reaching Israel.
Since 20 percent refined uranium is a short jump to weapons grade fuel, Iran will have the capability and materials for building an operational nuclear bomb by approximately October 1.
This knowledge is not news to US President Barack Obama, Saudi King Abdullah, Syrian ruler Bashar Assad, or Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu - and certainly not to Iran's Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Netanyahu's comment at the opening of the weekly cabinet meeting Sunday: "All threats against the home front are dwarfed by one - Iran must not be allowed to have nuclear arms!" - was prompted by that deadline.
Ex-Prime Minister Ehud Olmert did not have that information when he "assured" Tel Aviv students Sunday, "Iran's nuclear program has not reached the threshold necessitating Israeli action now or in the near future." He further claimed that Israel's "defense leaders" don't subscribe to the view that "action now is unavoidable." Olmert, who stepped down under a cloud of suspected corruption in 2009, has not since then had access to regular intelligence briefings on Iran. So either he spoke out of ignorance or willfully joined an opposition chorus of voices speaking out against Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak.
The fact is that when Olmert approved the Israeli strike for destroying a nuclear reactor under construction by Iran and North Korea in northern Syria in September 2007, Iran was years away from accumulating enough enriched uranium and the capability to build nuclear warheads. Both are now within Tehran's grasp in weeks.
Leading an opposition campaign to bring down the incumbent government is legitimate. Discrediting belated Israeli action to pre-empt a nuclear Iran as fodder for that campaign is not. If what Olmert and Barack (the same defense minister as today) did in 2007 was necessary then, action now for delaying Iran's imminent "breakout" to a bomb is many times more necessary and far more urgent.
However Netanyahu and Barak have put themselves in a straitjacket by two lapses:
1. By foot-dragging on their decision for two years, they have led their opponents at home and in Washington - and Khamenei's office too - to believe that, by turning on the heat, they can hold Israel back from military action against Iran's nuclear program until it is too late. The time has been used not just for Iranian nuclear progress, but to enlist ex-politicians and retired generals at home and add them to the voices, especially in the White House, which believe Israel can learn to live with a nuclear-armed Iran.
2. Netanyahu and Barak have behaved as though a decision on Iran is in their exclusive province, insulated from the turmoil and change swirling through Israel's Arab neighbors in the past two years.
But the Middle East has a way of catching up with and rushing past slow-moving politicians:
Sunday, August 12, at 10:00 a.m. Netanyahu warned his ministers that no threat was worse than a nuclear Iran. At 17:55 p.m., Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood President Mohamed Morsi dropped a bombshell in Cairo. In one fell swoop, he smashed the Egyptian military clique ruling the country for decades, sacked the Supreme Military Council running Egypt since March 2011 and cut the generals off from their business empire by appropriating the defense ministry and military industry.
That fateful eight hours-less-five-minutes have forced Israel's leaders to take a second look at their plans for Iran.
Morsi's lightning decisions were the finishing touches that proved the Islamist Bedouin terror attacks in Sinai of Aug. 5 fitted neatly into a secret master plan hatched by Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood to seize full control of rule in Cairo - a plan debkafile first revealed exclusively on Friday, Aug. 10.
Netanyahu now faces one of the hardest dilemmas of his political career - whether to go forward with the Iran operation, which calls for mustering all Israel's military and defense capabilities - especially for the repercussions, after being suddenly confronted with unforeseen security challenges on its southwestern border, for thirty years a frontier of peace.
The exceptional talents of Netanyahu and Barak to put off strategic decisions until they are overtaken by events has landed Israel in an especially perilous plight, surrounded now by a soon-to-be nuclear-armed Iran from the east; threatened Syrian chemical warfare from the north and the Muslim Brotherhood takeover of Egypt to its south.
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner
Republicans Draft Strong Pro-Life Platform Before National Convention
According to tentative language obtained by CNN Monday, the Republican Party will consider a plank calling for an end to legalized abortion - with an exception for the life of the mother - at its national convention next week in Tampa, Fla. That's similar to planks the party adopted in 2000, 2004 and 2008.
If Republicans adopt the draft platform, the party will endorse an amendment to the U.S. Constitution making it clear that preborn children have "a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed." Other planks include opposition to federal funding for embryonic stem cell research, support for the use of ultrasounds and full disclosure about fetal development before abortions, as well as support for state-enforced abortion clinic regulations.
Commenting on this platform, Tim Goeglein, Focus on the Family's vice president for external relations, stated: "That language reflects the fact "that the majority of Americans for the first time since Roe v. Wade, are pro-life."
Meanwhile, the Democratic Party Platform Committee recently drafted an entirely new plank - one that calls for same-sex marriage to be legalized nationwide, and for the longstanding federal law defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman to be repealed.
That language will be considered at the Democratic National Convention to be held in Charlotte, N.C., Sept. 4-6. The Republican National Convention takes place Aug. 27-30.
"We have seen, in 2012, a genuine polarization," noted Tim Goeglein, Focus on the Family's vice president for external relations. "Even though we have historically large numbers of people who call themselves independent, when they actually vote, they do so overwhelmingly for either Democrats or Republicans. But there is the 5 to 8 percent of people who genuinely are still undecided. In a country of 313 million people, that is potentially a very large number of votes."
"One party will say it is pro-life from conception to natural death, that everyone should be welcomed into the world and protected by the law," Goeglein added. "The other will say that in one form or the other, abortion should be legal from conception all the way up through the ninth month of pregnancy. That is as large of a bright line as is possible. And on those two issues, the parties are as divided and distinct as they've ever been." (CitizenLink) Read more.
Worship with Us Today!
Worship with Us Today!
Come To Me
Come to Me, I'm all you need.
Come to Me, I'm everything
Come to Me, I'm all you need.
Come to Me, I'm your everything