CHPP Daily Brief: "Praying for All in Authority" Thursday, March 10, 2016
Some of you are seeing a red banner at the top of this page, saying that it is not safe to open this email. THAT STATEMENT IS FALSE. Please press "Ignore. I trust this message" in order to continue receiving the Daily Brief. Thank you.
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
Thursday, March 10, 2016
"And the Lord shall be King over all the earth.
In that day it shall be-'The Lord is one,'
And His name one." (Zechariah 14:9)
Daily prayers continue on a conference line at 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. EDT, as the Supreme Court justices decide the Texas case. Please go here for details.
Pray . . . and . . . Vote!
On the Campaign Trail
On the Campaign Trail:
News of interest for intercessors
In obedience to the IRS guidelines for nonprofit organizations, Capitol Hill Prayer Partners will neither nor oppose any candidate whose name is on the ballot for this year's general election. Nevertheless, we will continue to bring you news that may be of interest from the campaign trail for your own prayerful consideration. Thank you.
1. At Secretive Meeting, Tech CEOs And Top Republicans Commiserate, Plot To Stop Trump - Huffington Post
Billionaires, tech CEOs and top members of the Republican establishment flew to a private island resort off the coast of Georgia this weekend for the American Enterprise Institute's annual World Forum, according to sources familiar with the secretive gathering.
The main topic at the closed-to-the-press confab? How to stop Republican front-runner Donald Trump. Apple CEO Tim Cook, Google co-founder Larry Page, Napster creator and Facebook investor Sean Parker, and Tesla Motors and SpaceX honcho Elon Musk all attended. (Read all)
- Lord has it come to having secretive meetings that plot to destroy any candidate in our country? Have mercy on America, Lord. We have sinned deeply, and our attitudes are evil from the top down. Turn our hearts to You, Father, and let us be saved. In Jesus Mighty Name, Amen
- "The night is far spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, andlet us put on the armor of light." (Romans 13:12)
2. Clinton, Sanders Promise Not to Deport Illegal Aliens Who Don't Have 'Criminal Record' - CNS News
Using the exact same words, both Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders said they "will not deport children" -- or most other illegal immigrants -- from the USA.
In fact, both candidates said they are willing to go further than President Obama has gone to keep more illegal aliens in the country. (Read more)
- Lord, this is a frightening issue for all Americans, and we ask for Your hand in the solution, to block our leaders from doing anything that is outside Your perfect Will for the United States.In Jesus' Name, Amen
- "Through wisdom a house is built, and by understanding it is established." (Proverbs 24:3)
3. Chuck Norris presidential endorsement? Not so fast! - WND
A flurry of headlines hit the Internet early Wednesday giving action movie and television star Chuck Norris' highly coveted endorsement in the presidential race to Sen. Ted Cruz.
And while Norris may eventually support Cruz, if he is the GOP's presidential nominee, the reporting appears to have bombed.
In a statement to WND, Norris said, "I would like to clarify for the record that I have NOT officially endorsed any candidate for president, contrary to what has been widely reported in the media."
He continued, "Each of the remaining Republican candidates have strong points and, as I've said in my WND culture warrior column, I believe some have the potential to be great presidents. However, I am going to let the citizens of America decide who they think would be the best candidate for the GOP. When the candidate is decided, I will support that person enthusiastically." (Read more)
- Father God, in a presidential race that is as hectic as this one is turning out to be, rumors abound. As your watchmen on the wall, help us each to slow down and double check all facts before we enter Your prayer closet, and before we pass any "news" on to others. Help us, O Lord, we pray in Your name, amen.
- "Every matter must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses." (2 Corinthians 13:1)
The Middle East in Focus
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you." (Isaiah 54:10)
1. Shin Bet agent killed in Gaza - Israel National News
An Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) agent was killed on Tuesday during an operation in Gaza, it has been cleared for publication. His family has been informed. The circumstances surrounding his death are being investigated.
Among the possibilities being checked is whether an IDF force made a mistake in identifying the man as he stood near the security fence, and wrongly took him for an Arab terrorist - Gaza terrorists frequently attempt to infiltrate the fence. (Read more)
2. Iran reportedly test-fires 2 long-range missiles while Biden visits Israel - Fox News
Iran reportedly test-fired two ballistic missiles Wednesday with the phrase "Israel must be wiped out" written in Hebrew on them, but authorities said that the tests do not violate the nuclear deal reached in January.
The tests came as Vice President Joe Biden visited Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who was strongly opposed to the nuke deal.
"I want to reiterate because I know people still doubt: If in fact they break the deal, we will act," Biden said in Jerusalem. (Read more)
3. Iran test-fires 2 missiles marked with 'Israel must be wiped out' -Times of Israel
Iran on Wednesday test-fired two ballistic missiles, which an Iranian news agency said had the phrase "Israel must be wiped out" written on them in Hebrew. An Iranian commander said the test was designed to demonstrate to Israel, whose destruction Iran seeks, that it is within Iranian missile range.
Phrases threatening Israel have been emblazoned on missiles fired before by Iran, but this test came after the country signed a nuclear deal with world powers, including America. Hard-liners in Iran's military have fired rockets and missiles despite US objections since the deal, as well as shown underground missile bases on state television. (Read more)
4. Benjamin Netanyahu says he declined to meet Barack Obama due to US campaign - DNA India
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Tuesday he had declined a proposed meeting with US President Barack Obama in order to steer clear of the US presidential election campaign, as Vice President Joe Biden began a two-day visit to Israel.
While candidates in the Republican and Democratic primaries have been vying to assert their credentials as friends of Israel, Obama is not up re-election in November, having served two terms. It was the latest episode in a fraught relationship between the right-wing Israeli leader and the Democratic US president that has yet to recover from deep differences 2015's US-led international nuclear deal with Israel's foe Iran. (Read more)
The Daily Brief
1. Rebuffing Biden, Abbas offers condolences but doesn't condemn attack - Times of Israel
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas on Wednesday evening offered condolences to US Vice President Joe Biden over the killing of a US citizen by a West Bank Palestinian in a terror attack on Tuesday night in Jaffa, while stating that Israeli control over the West Bank was the source of rampant violence.
Hours after Biden appeared to criticize Abbas for failing to condemn terror attacks, the Palestinian Authority head said he was sorry for the death of tourist Taylor Force, but said that Israel has killed over 200 Palestinians in the wave of violence since October, according to a statement from the PA to reporters. (Read more)
- Father God, we are not fooled by this statement or by this expression of "condolence" for the one American who was murdered in the violent Palestinian rampage that is taking place now on the streets of Israel. We ask that You place the pillar of Your cloud of Glory in between every Israeli citizen that is being targeted by these stabbing attacks, and that, somehow, You forgive the murderous hatred the Palestinians hold in their hearts towards the Jews. We ask all of this in Your name, amen.
- (Spoken to the enemies of the God of Israel) "God-of-the-Angel-Armies, the God of Israel, says, 'Watch this! I'm about to banish smiles and laughter from this place. No more brides and bridegrooms celebrating. And I'm doing it in your lifetime, before your very eyes.'" (Jeremiah 16:9)
2. US Holds Islamic State Agent Tied to Chemical Weapons - Voice of America
U.S. defense officials say an Islamic State operative captured by American special-operations forces is a key figure in the militant group's chemical-weapons program in Iraq, where new gas attacks by the terror group were reported Wednesday.
The unidentified suspect's detention was reported last week, but his link to chemical weapons was not disclosed until now by defense officials who requested anonymity. The Islamic State agent was captured during raids in Iraq and Syria by a U.S. "expeditionary targeting force," assigned to gather intelligence and identify high-ranking IS leaders.
Officials in Iraq told VOA Wednesday that Islamic State fighters fired rockets loaded with mustard gas, also known as sulfur mustard, into a town north of Baghdad late Tuesday and early Wednesday. Iraqi and Kurdish officials said dozens of civilians were injured by the attack on Taza Khurmatu, a town whose residents are mostly Shi'ite Muslim ethnic Turkmens.
"The rockets spread a garlicky smell and caused nausea and vomiting," according to Soran Jalal, head of Taza Khurmatu's civil defense office. He told VOA that investigators confirmed the weapons carried mustard gas. (Read more)
- Father, this is a day of BREAKTHROUGH in the war against ISIS! We ask that this arrested terrorist now release all information to the allied authorities regarding the amount, location, and targeted use of these lethal weapons. Father, the use of mustard gas and other chemical weapons dates back to the days of the First World War. We repent that more action was not taken at that time to annihilate the use of these weapons, and we ask that You restore peace, safety and stability to this dangerous region. In Your name, amen.
- "For there is nothing hidden except to be made visible; nothing is secret except to come to light." (Mark 4:22)
3. Names of 22,000 IS members said leaked to news channel - Times of Israel
LONDON, United Kingdom - Tens of thousands of documents containing the names, addresses, phone numbers and family contacts of jihadis who joined the Islamic State group have been given to Sky News, the broadcaster said Wednesday.
Sky reported that a disillusioned former member had handed over the documents on a memory stick that had been stolen from the head of the group's internal security police. The documents are forms that IS recruits had to fill out in order to be accepted into the organization, and contain information on nationals from 51 countries, the broadcaster reported.
"Sky News has informed the authorities about the haul," the news channel wrote on its website. No comment was immediately available from Britain's interior or foreign ministries.
Richard Barrett, former global terrorism operations director at MI6, wrote on Twitter that the records would shed an "invaluable light" on who had joined IS. "This is going to be an invaluable resource for analysts," he added. (Read more)
- Father God, we praise You for this glorious news! We ask that You would now grace the many intelligence agencies in the 51 countries named in this document, so that ALL terrorists named be caught, and quickly. We ask for Your hand of protection to rest upon the man who turned in this data, as well. THANK YOU, LORD, amen!
- "Let everything that has breath give praise to the Lord! Hallelujah!" (Psalm 150:6)
4. North Korea fires missiles, liquidates South Korea's assets - Reuters
North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea on Thursday in defiance of U.N. Security Council resolutions, as South Korean and U.S. forces conducted massive war games.
The North also announced it had scrapped all agreements with the South on commercial exchange projects and would "liquidate" South Korean assets left behind in its territory.
North Korea has a large stockpile of short-range missiles and is developing long-range and intercontinental missiles as well. Thursday's missiles flew about 500 km (300 miles) into the sea off the east coast city of Wonsan and probably were part of the Soviet-developed Scud series, South Korea's defense ministry said. (Read more)
- Lord, we continue to ask that You protect the Asia-Pacific region from the whims of North Korea's Kim Jong-Un. We pray for the salvation of North Korea, and for the change in the hearts or removal of their leaders. In Jesus' Name, Amen.
"But as for me, I trust in You, O Lord; I say, 'You are my God.' My times are in Your hand; deliver me from the hand of my enemies." (Psalm 31:14,15)
5. AG Lynch: Opioid Drug Abuse 'Behind Upticks in Violence As Well As Violent Crime Using Guns' - CNSNews.com
Attorney General Loretta Lynch told Congress on Wednesday that "one of the greatest hazards to both law enforcement and the people that we serve is an epidemic of gun violence." She also said opioid drug abuse is linked to "upticks in violence as well as violent crime using guns."
Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) asked the attorney general, "Do you see a connection between the growing opioid crisis and illegal firearms trafficking?"
Lynch agreed that opioid abuse is a "crisis" and an "epidemic" that affects every state in the nation. . . "And in many jurisdictions, while the causes did vary, drug abuse -- particularly heroin, opioid, and methamphetamine abuse -- were behind upticks in violence as well as violent crime using guns. So there is a connection there, as individuals turn to crime to support habits, so we do see that." (Read more)
- Father, truly addiction to these drugs has become an end-time plague. We thank You for birthing 12-step recovery programs, as early as 1935, and the amazing explosion and success of this and other strategies since then, leading addicts to recovery through a spiritually-based program. Together, we agree and command that the jaws of addiction be broken in our nation, and for its captives to be set free. Father, let us only be "addicted" to You, our Savior and our Lord, in Your name, amen and amen.
- "Those who sat in darkness and in the shadow of death, Bound in affliction and irons . . . Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble, And He saved them out of their distresses. He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, And broke their chains in pieces. Oh, that men would give thanks to the Lord for His goodness, And for His wonderful works to the children of men! For He has broken the gates of bronze, And cut the bars of iron in two." (Psalm 107:13-16)
6. Failed ObamaCare co-ops have not repaid $1.2B in federal loans, docs say - Fox News
The dozen failed ObamaCare cooperatives have not repaid any of the $1.2 billion in federal loans they received and still owe more than a $1 billion in additional liabilities, according to recent financial statements to be cited Thursday at a congressional hearing.
In prepared remarks for his opening statement at the hearing, Sen. Rob Portman, R-Ohio, chairman of the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, says, "In some states, those losses will be absorbed by other insurance companies-which means, by the policyholders of other insurance companies who have to pay increased premiums. (Read more)
- Lord, the costs of insurance have skyrocketed for the vast majority of Americans since Obamacare came in. We pray for a solid solution, and reduced costs for all.In Jesus' Name, Amen
- "He raises the poor out of the dust, and lifts the needy out of the ash heap."
7. MRSA superbug's resistance to antibiotics is broken - NewScientist
Merck Research Laboratories in New Jersey have found a way to break this resistance. They have identified two compounds that make beta-lactam antibiotics powerful against MRSA again. Called tarocin A and tarocin B, these compounds target a different part of a bacterium's cell wall, called teichoic acid. Neither of these drugs kill bacteria on their own, but when either one is combined with an antibiotic, the combination can kill MRSA in both clinical samples and in infected mice. (Read more)
- Father we rejoice in this breakthrough! We praise Your Name that there has been found an answer to the deadly MRSA bacteria. We praise You for this answer to our prayers, in Jesus' name, amen. Thank you, Lord!
- "The eyes of the Lord preserve knowledge." (Proverbs 22:12a)
8. Student senator faces impeachment for conservative beliefs - Fox News
There's a witch hunt underway for conservatives at the University of Southern California - and Jacob Ellenhorn appears to be Public Enemy No. 1.
Ellenhorn is a student senator at USC and president of the College Republicans. He is also an outspoken conservative. And that's a big problem among his fellow student lawmakers at USC.
Ellenhorn is facing possible impeachment - accused of all sorts of tawdry behavior - like publicly expressing his conservative opinions and (brace yourself) inviting high-profile conservative speakers to campus. "It seems like freedom of speech and freedom to express your views is not allowed by the University of Southern California student government right now," he told me. (Read more)
- Father, be with this student and grant him great favor. Open their hearts, and let the opposition see the truth of his stand. In Jesus' Name, Amen.
- "Do not deliver me to the will of my adversaries, for false witnesses have risen against me, and such as breathe out violence." (Psalm 27:12)
9. Shooting Near Pittsburgh Kills 5 and Wounds 3 at Party - New York Times
The police in a Pittsburgh suburb on Thursday were searching for at least two gunmen who opened fired on a backyard party late Wednesday, killing five and injuring three.
Lt. Andrew Schurman of the Allegheny County police said the gunmen barged into the party at a house in Wilkinsburg, Pa. shortly before 11 p.m., and opened fire from two different locations. (Read more)
- Father, we pray that You will bring to justice quickly those who shot so many at this party. In Jesus' Name, Amen
- "Let none of you plan evil in his heart against his brother." (Zechariah 7:10c)
10. Thousands evacuate as severe ongoing floods drench Texas, Louisiana - Fox News
Thousands had been evacuated by Thursday morning as a second round of rain hit an already inundated northern Louisiana, where flooding in some places was up to the rooftops and in others submerged cars, stranded families. Three people drowned in Oklahoma, Texas and Louisiana. (Read more)
- Lord, we stand with these flood victims and families, praying for Your mercy, grace, and comfort for them. In Jesus' Name, Amen
- "I cried out to God with my voice- to God with my voice; and He gave ear to me. In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord." (Psalm 77:1, 2a)
The Daily Jot
Thursday, March 10, 2016
Shooting to kill and the Police State
Yesterday, I watched the very disturbing video of the FBI shooting a white man, Robert "LaVoy" Finicum, who was one of the armed occupiers of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon. The Oregon State Police has, of course, ruled that shooting Finicum was justified. I have also seen video of other police shootings that were called justified--a black youngster playing in a park with a toy gun; an unarmed black man running away from a policeman during a traffic stop; a black man getting shot while he reached into his car to retrieve his registration as ordered by the policeman. I always have been a staunch supporter of law enforcement, but something needs to change. (Read more)
The Persecuted Church
Islamic rebel groups and Christian Persecution Converge in the Philippines
Members of an armed Christian vigilante group burn a flag of the so-called Islamic State in Mindanao in January to show readiness to defend their communities in Mindanao.
The shooting of Saudi scholar Ayed Al-Qarni in the southern Philippines on March 1 has fueled fears of a competition among Philippine supporters of the so-called Islamic State (IS) to gain formal entry into its network.
But the country's murky political waters could also be hiding forces out to influence results of the coming national and local elections in May, or further derail the peace process with Muslim rebels in Mindanao, or both.
The attack on Al-Qarni happened as government troops mopped up after days of fighting in Lanao del Sur province that killed 60 people and displaced 20,000 others. (UCA) Read more.
Songs Our Grandmothers Sang:
NEARER, MY GOD, TO THEE
"He saw a stairway resting on the earth, with its top reaching to Heaven, and the angels of God were ascending and descending on it." (Genesis 28:11-12)
Nearer, my God, to Thee, nearer to Thee! E'en though it be a cross that raiseth me, Still all my song shall be, nearer, my God, to Thee.
Nearer, my God, to Thee,
Nearer to Thee!
Though like the wanderer, the sun gone down, Darkness be over me, my rest a stone. Yet in my dreams I'd be nearer, my God to Thee.
There let the way appear, steps unto Heav'n; All that Thou sendest me, in mercy given; Angels to beckon me nearer, my God, to Thee.
Then, with my waking thoughts bright with Thy praise, Out of my stony griefs Bethel I'll raise; So by my woes to be nearer, my God, to Thee.
Or, if on joyful wing cleaving the sky, Sun, moon, and stars forgot, upward I'll fly, Still all my song shall be, nearer, my God, to Thee.
There in my Father's home, safe and at rest, There in my Savior's love, perfectly blest; Age after age to be, nearer my God to Thee.
Please go here.
About the Author:
Words: Sarah F. Adams, 1841
Music: Lowell Mason, 1856
About the Hymn:
This hymn is sung at the end of the 1936 movie San Francisco, which was nominated for several Academy Awards. It is also played by the ship's band in Titanic, winner of the Academy Award for best picture of 1997.
There are also many inspiring true life stories associated with this hymn. Some Titanic survivors said it was played by the ship's orchestra as the ocean liner went down (though other survivors said it was a different song). [Read more here]
Signs and Wonders
March 9th: TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE SUN
"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea." (Luke 21:25)
The Good News Corner
564 Rescued from Slavery at a Massive Brick Kiln
(India)-In an ongoing rescue operation, Indian police and IJM (International Justice Mission) staff have rescued 564 children, women and men from forced labor slavery at a massive brick kiln.
This is IJM's largest anti-slavery operation ever-and it took place in the exact same, sprawling factory where we helped rescue more than 500 people in 2011.
The kiln owner had evaded arrest in that first operation, but today his impunity has ended. Police arrested him and five other accomplices from an organized trafficking network. They are currently in custody and will face charges under India's anti-trafficking laws and Bonded Labour Act.
The operation highlights a critical need in the fight against slavery: If criminals remain free, the violence will continue. But if laws are enforced and traffickers go to jail, we can end slavery for good.
. . . When officials explained that rescue had arrived, many couldn't believe it was real. One government officer asked the crowd "Who wants to go free?" but he was met with a stunned silence. Slowly, one man raised his hand, then another. Soon dozens of tired hands shot into the air, ready to finally exit into safety.
(Source: Breaking Christian News) Read more here.
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
Forever - Brian Johnson
The moon and stars they wept The morning sun was dead The Savior of the world was fallen His body on the cross His blood poured out for us The weight of every curse upon Him
One final breath He gave As heaven looked away The Son of God was laid in darkness A battle in the grave The war on death was waged The power of hell forever broken
The ground began to shake The stone was rolled away His perfect love could not be overcome Now death where is your sting? Our resurrected King Has rendered you defeated
Forever He is glorified
Forever He is lifted high
Forever He is risen
He is alive, He is alive
The ground began to shake The stone was rolled away His reckless love could not be overcome Now death where is your sting? Our resurrected King Has rendered you defeated
We sing hallelujah
We sing hallelujah
We sing hallelujah
The Lamb has overcome
Worship Him now!
Election 2016: Prayer Resources
Election 2016: Prayer Resources
"Choose some wise, understanding and respected men from each of your tribes, and I will set them over you." (Deuteronomy 1:13)
1. Family Research Council Voter Guides (General reference)
FRC has developed non-partisan voter guides for federal races in certain states, which appear in red. Click on any state to see voting information and a link to the family policy council.
To view these voter guides in all 50 states, go here.
2. 2016 Presidential Candidate Voter Guide - Family Research Council
Equip yourself with the facts before you vote. See where the candidates stand on the important issues affecting faith, family, and freedom. Click on the image below to view the full Voter Guide.
3. Intercessors for America: "How to Pray for the Election and Nation More Effectively"
Election Process is now in full swing -- time to get out the prayer!
For resources offered by IFA, please go here.
4. Wallbuilders: Christian Voter Guide.com
Lots of resources here! Go here to explore this site.
5. National Day of Prayer: Election Prayer Guide
This is an excellent guide to intercession for our state and national elections this year. NDP's prayer guide includes insights from Dave Butts, Chairman, National Prayer Committee.
To read this prayer guide, please go here.
6. Wall Street Journal: Election 2016 Calendar
Key dates in the presidential election, including debates, primaries, caucuses and other important events. Filter by a date range or category. Go here.
7. Pray as ONE
As One is a national call to prayer. The basic strategy revolves around two 40-day periods of prayer walking, fasting, and corporate prayer events. The first will start on Easter Sunday, March 27 and run through the National Day of Prayer on May 5. The second begins on September 30 and ends on Election Day. In addition, there will be much collaboration with major national prayer events that are happening throughout the year.
Click here to learn more about this united effort to call America to prayer.
"So that with one mind and one voice, you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." - (Romans 15:6)
ABOUT CAPITOL HILL PRAYER PARTNERS
To learn more about our ministry, and to sign up to begin receiving our daily alerts, please go here.
Please accept our apologies
Please accept our apologies:
Delayed transmission last night!
Apparently, yesterday we saw a new level of spiritual warfare, as we were literally fighting to get the Brief to you before midnight on Wednesday, March 9, 2016.
The Brief was sent out at 11:55 p.m. on that date, but by the time it reached most of you, it was a few minutes after midnight on Thursday, March 10th. Hence, you may now be seeing "two editions" of the Brief in your own inbox, dated on 3/10/16. For this fact, we apologize.
> > > This edition IS the one for March 10th! AMEN!
In His Amazing Grace,
Sara C. Ballenger, President
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners