Some of you are seeing a red banner at the top of this page, saying that it is not safe to open this email. THAT STATEMENT IS FALSE. Please press "Ignore. I trust this message" in order to continue receiving the Daily Brief. Thank you.
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
Wednesday, March 9, 2016
"And the Lord shall be King over all the earth.
In that day it shall be-
'The Lord is one,'
And His name one." (Zechariah 14:9)
Pray . . . and . . . Vote!
Terror Attacks in Israel
Terror Attacks in Israel:
"Pray for the peace of Jerusalem"
1. Jaffa stabbing spree: Palestinian kills American tourist, wounds 10 others - Jerusalem Post
A Palestinian assailant killed an American tourist and wounded at least 10 other victims in a stabbing spree that began in southern Tel Aviv's Jaffa Port, in the third attack within a number of hours on Tuesday evening. The American who succumbed to his wounds sustained in the attack had been evacuated to Wolfson Medical Center in Holon.
Tel Aviv police said the attacker began stabbing people near the entrance to the Jaffa Port, wounding a number people to varying degrees. He then escaped on foot in the direction of Tel Aviv, running between vehicles stopped on the road and stabbing motorists. He managed to wound a number of other civilians before he was shot and subdued by police. (Read more)
2. Taylor Force, Vanderbilt grad student, identified as Jaffa terror fatality- Jerusalem Post
Vanderbilt graduate student Taylor Force, 29, was killed Tuesday evening by a Palestinian terrorist who went on a stabbing rampage in Jaffa in which 12 other people were wounded.
"This horrific act of violence has robbed our Vanderbilt family of a young hopeful life and all of the bright promise that he held for bettering our greater world," Vanderbilt chancellor Nicholas S. Zeppos wrote in a letter to the student body.
"Taylor embarked on this trip to expand his understanding of global entrepreneurship and also to share his insights and knowledge with start-ups in Israel," wrote Zeppos. (Read more)
3. AIPAC Mourns the Loss of Taylor Force - AIPAC
Americans and Israelis are grieving after yet another tragedy in Israel. And once again, it hits particularly close to home.
Twenty-nine year old Taylor Force, a native of Lubbock, Texas, was murdered last night in Jaffa during a spree of Palestinian stabbing attacks across Israel.
He is the fifth American citizen killed by Palestinian terrorists since October. . .
As we grieve with the families of those lost, we are reminded of the importance of our work together and our collective commitment to standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Israel.
Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of Taylor Force during this difficult time.
Jeff Mendelsohn, National Outreach Director, AIPAC
To read Jeff's entire statement, please go here.
4. Sen. Cruz: Murder of West Point Grad in Israel Proves Radical Islamists Target Americans and Israelis Indiscriminately - CNSNews.com
In reaction to the murder of Taylor Force, an American from Lubbock, Texas, and graduate of West Point who served multiple tours of duty in Afghanistan and Iraq, Senator Ted Cruz (R-Texas) said the brutal crime "is grim evidence that the scourge of radical Islamic terrorism targets Americans and Israelis indiscriminately."
. . . "Earlier this week, Palestinian terrorists continued their brutal campaign of violence against civilians in Israel," said Senator Cruz in a statement. . .
Ending his statement, the senator said, "Heidi joins me in sending our thoughts and prayers to Taylor's family, and for all those injured in these attacks, we wish a full and complete recovery." (Read more)
- Capitol Hill Prayer Partners adds our prayers to those of Senator Cruz and millions of Americans today, that God will comfort those who grieve, and bring healing to all who have been wounded, in the name of our Messiah, amen.
- "The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves such as have a contrite spirit." (Psalm 34:18)
5. Amid bout of attacks, Netanyahu decides to complete barrier in Jerusalem area - Jerusalem Post
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu decided to complete the security barrier in the area of Jerusalem in the aftermath of the three terror attacks Tuesday, in which an American graduate student was killed and 15 people were injured. The attacks occurred around the time that US Vice President Joe Biden landed in Israel for a two-day visit.
Late Tuesday night, Netanyahu held security consultations with Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon, Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan, the Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories Maj.-Gen. Yoav Mordechai and representatives from the IDF.
During the meeting, Netanyahu made a number of security decisions in addition to the already established measures such as the closure of villages where Palestinian terrorists live or left from to carry out their attacks. Media outlets that promote incitement will be closed. (Read more)
6. Abbas' Fatah Praises 'Martyr' Who Killed American; Biden Denounces 'Failure to Condemn These Acts' - CNSNews.com
Palestinian Authority chairman Mahmoud Abbas' Fatah organization on Wednesday praised as a "heroic martyr" the killer of West Point graduate and U.S. Army veteran Taylor Force, according to an Israel-based media monitoring group.
On its Facebook page, Fatah posted a sketch of a man's hand holding a knife over a map of "Palestine," Palestinian Media Watch reported. Across the map is written "Bashar Masalha," the name of the 22 year-old Palestinian who stabbed Force and 11 others in the Tel Aviv-Jaffa area on Tuesday.
Written on the arm of the person holding the knife in the sketch are the words, "the heroic martyr." (Read more)
- Lord God, we continue to remain stunned at the level of evil we see in these reports. We cannot fathom such a mindset, nor can we even attempt to do so. We bring the enemies of Israel before You and we lay them at Your feet, knowing that You, O Lord, can and will bring justice in Your time. We cry out for the souls of these demon - possessed people and ask deliverance for each one, in Jesus' name, amen and amen.
- Please anchor your prayers on the truth of Mark 5:1-20, the story of the healing of the Gerasene demoniac. Amen.
The Middle East in Focus
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you." (Isaiah 54:10)
1. IDF can put Lebanon back 300 years if Hezbollah attacks, officer tells Saudi paper - Jerusalem Post
A senior IDF officer told a Saudi newspaper on Monday that "the IDF could put Lebanon back 300 years and in parallel conquer the Gaza Strip and destroy all of its infrastructure." The officer told journalist Majdi Halbi of the Elaph news site that despite the IDF capability, the army is subject to the political echelon that in the officer's estimation will not order such action.
Regarding Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah's threat to target the ammonia plant in Haifa, the officer said Israel was prepared for such an attack and was aware that its strategic infrastructure could be cut off during a confrontation with the militant Shi'ite organization.
2. Japanese tourist wounded in stone-throwing attack outside Jerusalem church - Jerusalem Post
A 69-year-old tourist from Japan was lightly wounded on Monday by stone-throwers who pelted a group of visitors from a roof near Saint Anne's Church in Jerusalem, police said.
Paramedics transferred the wounded woman with light wounds to the head to the emergency room at Hadassah University Medical Center.
"I'm a tourist in Israeli as part of a tour group of Japanese people who love Israel, I was very surprised by the stone-throwing attack," said the wounded woman. "At the time [of the attack] I was praying and I didn't understand what had hit me."
She added that she had not been seriously wounded.
- Father God, we thank You that this Japanese tourist was not seriously injured. We ask that You bring her quick healing from physical and emotional wounds, in the name of Yeshua, amen.
3. American tourist dead, 11 wounded in Jaffa terror attack -YNET News
Three terror attacks hit the cities of Jaffa, Jerusalem and Petah Tikvah within an hour and a half on Tuesday afternoon and early evening, with one person murdered and 14 wounded.
A 29-year-old tourist from the US was murdered and eleven others were wounded in a terror attack at the Jaffa Port area early Tuesday evening. The terrorist, Bashar Masalha, a 22-year-old Palestinian from Qalqilya, was shot to death by police that arrived at the scene.
- Heavenly Father, we know that there are attacks on the people of Israel on a daily basis, but today was particularly full of violence. We ask for Your Holy Spirit to comfort all those who experienced or witnessed the attacks. We ask that You bring Shalom peace, and protect them from all trauma. We ask also, Father, that You protect their hearts from becoming bitter and full of hate. We pray for the forgiveness and salvation of those terrorists who commit these acts. They do not know what they do. We pray that You tear down the lies and falsehoods they have been raised with. Reveal Yourself to them that they may see. We pray these things, in the mighty name of Yeshua, amen.
4. Most Israelis believe a divided capital is already a foregone conclusion - Jerusalem Post
As the debate over whether to divide the capital intensifies amid terrorist attacks that have politicians and security personnel scrambling for solutions, most Israelis believe that the model of a unified Jerusalem has failed, a poll found this week.
The Israel Democracy Institute conducted the survey by telephone interview with 600 Jewish and Arab Israelis from February 28 to March 1, constituting a representative national sample of the adult population.
With a maximum sampling error of 4.1 percent, and a confidence level of 95%, the surveyors repeated a question first posed to Israelis in 1999: "Do you agree or disagree with the opinion that Jerusalem is actually already divided into two cities - East and West?" A clear majority of Jewish Israelis (61%) agreed that Jerusalem is divided into a western and eastern city, while in 1999 the 44% of respondents thought so, while 49% disagreed.
Approximately 47% of Arab Israelis said the capital is divided, according to the current survey.
5. Likud minister blasts 'traitor' Arab MKs for Hezbollah support - Times of Israel
Transportation Minister Yisrael Katz, a senior member of the ruling Likud party, slammed two Arab Israeli parties Monday over what he said was their support for the Lebanese terror group Hezbollah in its ongoing clash with Saudi Arabia.
Hadash and Balad, two parties that are among the factions of the mostly Arab Joint List in the Knesset, published condemnations Monday of Sunni Arab states that last week designated Shiite Hezbollah a terror organization. Both parties argued that the move serves Israel.
The blacklisting of Hezbollah, announced last Wednesday by the six-member Gulf Cooperation Council, came amid the continued deterioration of relations between Hezbollah's Shiite backer Iran and Sunni powerhouse Saudi Arabia. Gulf monarchies had already sanctioned Hezbollah in 2013 in reprisal for its armed intervention in Syria in support of embattled President Bashar Assad.
6. Iranian Foreign Minister: Muslim Governments Normalizing Ties With Israel 'Shameful'- Algemeiner
Iran's foreign minister attacked certain Muslim governments for trying to normalize ties with Israel, calling the move "shameful," Tehran's semi-official news agency Fars reported on Monday.
Mohammad Javad Zarif expressed this sentiment to reporters on the sidelines of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation summit in Indonesia on Monday. He said that such Muslim countries are warming up to Israel "at a time when the Zionist regime is under serious attack by the West and NGOs are taking a stance against its crimes."
Zarif went on to stress that Iran would "never abandon its support for Palestine."
7. Insight for Intercessors - Weekly Report
To read this report, please go here.
The Daily Brief
1. Biden coming to Israel to discuss US military aid - YNET News
Biden's main objective for the visit is working to convince Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to sign a new Memorandum of Understanding between Israel and the United States, which will ensure Washington's continued security aid to Jerusalem for the next 10 years. It is unlikely a final agreement will be reached on the Memorandum of Understanding, which is supposed to replace the previous one signed in 2007, but the vice president will work to advance the issue and to convince the prime minister to sign the Memorandum before President Barack Obama leaves office.
Washington is hoping Biden could resolve some of the disagreements. There are big gaps in the talks between the two sides: Israel wants the American aid to provide a response to the increasing threat it faces from Iran following the signing of the nuclear agreement with world powers. In addition, the US is willing to increase the military aid to Israel in $5 billion, spread over the 10 years, on top of the $3.1 billion already approved, while Israel seeks a $10-$15 billion addition.
Biden will also work to advance negotiations between Israel and Turkey on the normalization of ties, which is an American interest as it would increase stability in the region and serve as a counter-balance to the Shi'ite terror axis of Iran, Syria and Hezbollah.
The Americans see the natural gas reserves discovered off the shores of Israel as a catalyst to form this counter-bloc, and Biden is expected to raise this issue with Netanyahu. (Read more)
- Abba Father, we thank You that we have a close relationship with Israel. We pray that this trip is what it says it is and that there is no hidden agenda. We pray that You watch over Vice-President Biden and his family as they travel in Israel and the West Bank. Bless these meetings with Your Holy Spirit hovering over every word that is spoken and every agreement that is made. May the Memorandum of Understanding be beneficial to Israel and the USA. In Jesus Christ's Name we pray, Amen.
- "Like an eagle that stirs up its nest, That hovers over its young, He spread His wings and caught them, He carried them on His pinions." (Deuteronomy 32:11)
2. Obama starts interviewing candidates for Supreme Court vacancy - Reuters
President Barack Obama has started to interview candidates for the U.S. Supreme Court . . . Among the interviewees are Chief Judge Merrick Garland of the U.S. Court of Appeals . . . (District of Columbia); Judge Sri Srinivasan of the same court; Judge Paul Watford of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals . . .(San Francisco); Judge Jane Kelly of the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals . . .(St. Louis); and U.S. District Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson, . . . (Washington, D.C) . . . (Read more)
- Father, in the midst of this president doing what he feels he needs to accomplish, we thank You for the Republican leadership in the Senate who have stood firmly to say NO to holding any hearings on this matter until a new president is in office. May they continue to stand strong against any initiative by the White House to nominate or to install a new Supreme Court Justice this year. In Your name, amen.
- "He will be a spirit of justice to the one who sits in judgment, a source of strength to those who turn back the battle at the gate." (Isaiah 28:6)
3. Ex-Guantanamo prisoners suspected of rejoining militants increases: U.S.- Reuters
The number of former Guantanamo Bay prison inmates who are suspected of having returned to fighting for militants doubled to 12 in the six months through January, the Obama administration said on Monday.
The increase could fuel Republican attacks on Democratic President Barack Obama's plan to close the U.S. military prison in Cuba, which has come to symbolize aggressive detention practices following the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks and opened the United States to accusations of torture. Most detainees have been held without trial for more than a decade.
The closure plan, drawn up by the Pentagon and which requires approval by Congress, proposes 13 potential sites on U.S. soil to hold 30-60 detainees in maximum-security prisons. (Read more)
- Abba Father, we as a nation need Your wisdom. President Obama wants to shut down Guantanamo Bay prison. The Congress is against it, and nobody wants these terrorists permanently in local maximum security prisons. And it is not safe to release these prisoners as those that are left in Guantanamo are the most violent. We pray that You will give wisdom, knowledge and understanding to both the president and the Congress that they can come to an agreement about what is best for USA. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen.
- "For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding." (Proverbs 2:6)
4. Administration Official: 'Our Streets Are Flooded With Heroin' With Much of It 'Coming From Mexico' - CNSNews.com
An official with the Obama administration said on Tuesday that the "streets are flooded with heroin" in the United States and much of it "is coming from Mexico." Mary Lou Leary, deputy director of State, Local and Tribal Affairs for the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), spoke at the National League of Cities Conference in Washington, D.C. . .
"Our streets are flooded with heroin. It's not domestically grown or produced. Much of this is coming from Mexico. And so there's another aspect to this, which is work that we do with ONDCP with our other federal partners, and that is working with federal law enforcement agencies that have jurisdiction beyond the U.S. borders, and also working with the government of Mexico," Leary said.(Read more)
- Father, we plead mercy over our streets. Provide a solution to protect our borders in order to reduce drug trafficking. Reveal the locations of where these drugs are coming from. In Jesus Name.
- There are six things which the LORD hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, And hands that shed innocent blood, A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that run rapidly to evil,Proverbs 6:16-19
5. AG Lynch: DOJ Has Discussed Whether to Pursue Civil Action Against Climate Change Deniers - CNSNews.com
Attorney General Loretta Lynch acknowledged Wednesday that there have been discussions within the Department of Justice about possibly pursuing civil action against so-called climate change deniers.
"This matter has been discussed. We have received information about it and have referred it to the FBI to consider whether or not it meets the criteria for which we could take action on," Lynch said at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on Justice Department operations. (Read more)
- Father, protect our climate and our resources. As our climate becomes more polluted by more substances, help us to bring about measures that will protect people, animals, the air we breathe, and the food we eat.
- Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air, over the livestock, over all the earth, and over all the creatures that move along the ground." (Genesis 1:26)
6. DOJ Announces New Effort to 'Promote Religious Freedom' in the Nation's Schools - CNSNews.com
Under the banner of civil rights enforcement, the U.S. Justice Department plans to "promote religious freedom" in the nation's public schools by cracking down on discrimination and bullying, especially as it may affect Muslims. The new enforcement effort announced on Tuesday will "expand" DOJ's ability to investigate and prosecute complaints; lead community outreach; and develop guidance for federal prosecutors.
Vanita Gupta, head of the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division, said one goal of the new initiative is to promote religious pluralism and create safe, supportive and inclusive schools for all children. Following acts of terrorism, including 9-11 and San Bernardino, "too many Muslim Americans and those perceived as Muslim suffer a backlash of violence and discrimination," Gupta said. "We see criminal threats against mosques; harassment in schools; and even reports of violence targeting Muslim Americans, people of Arab or South Asian descent, and people perceived to be members of these groups." (Read more)
- Father, thank You for these plans to "promote religious freedom" in schools. We have seen an increase in harassment against Christianity. We pray these efforts will protect Christians as well as other religions.
- But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and [be] ready always to [give] an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: (1 Peter 3:15)
7. Miami's oceanfront nuclear power plant is leaking - Fusion.net
What is arguably America's least-well-placed nuclear power plant is leaking radiation into the sea. The University of Miami has found that the Turkey Point Nuclear Power Plant, located just south of Miami, has caused levels of tritium, a radioactive isotope, in Biscayne Bay to spike to 200-times higher than normal levels. (Read more)
- Father, we thank You that we have been alerted to this need, and we ask that You would grace the authorities with wisdom to know how to stop this leak, and how to bring these waters back to safe levels of tritium. We ask this in Your name, amen and amen.
- "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him." (James 1:5)
8. Man Suspected of Shooting Idaho Pastor Arrested at White House - CBN News
A man arrested by Secret Service agents for throwing items over the White House fence is also a suspect in the shooting of an Idaho pastor. Officials arrested former Marine Kyle Odom, 30, on Tuesday. Police say he threw computer flash drives and other unidentified items over the fence.
Odom is accused of shooting Pastor Tim Remington six times outside his church in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, on Sunday. "I think everyone can breathe a good sigh of relief that at least this part of the case has come to a conclusion," Coeur d'Alene Police Chief Lee White said. Remington, 55, led the prayer at a weekend campaign rally for Republican presidential candidate Sen. Ted Cruz. Authorities say there's no evidence the pastor's appearance with Cruz had anything to do with the shooting. (Read more)
- Lord God, we do thank You for this quick and rather amazing answer to prayer. Only You, dear God, would have known that in the brief time of two days, Kyle Odom had traveled across the nation, to stand in front of the White House! We pray for his own healing of all mental health issues and for his salvation, too, and we continue to lift up Pastor Remington in prayer until he has been fully restored to health. In Your Name, amen.
- "Praise the Lord!" (Psalm 149:9)
9. Iran Revolutionary Guards conduct ballistic missile test - Reuters
Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) test-fired several ballistic missiles on Tuesday, state television said, challenging a United Nations resolution and drawing a threat of a diplomatic response from the United States.
Two months ago, Washington imposed sanctions against businesses and individuals linked to Iran's missile program over a test of the medium-range Emad missile carried out in October 2015.
U.S. State Department spokesman Mark Toner said Washington would review the incident and, if it is confirmed, raise it in the U.N. Security Council and seek an "appropriate response". We also continue to aggressively apply our unilateral tools to counter threats from Iran's missile program," Toner added, in a possible reference to additional U.S. sanctions. (Read more)
- Abba Father, We stand in the gap and repent for the government of the USA seeking treaties with Iran. Abba, we have sinned and we ask You to forgive us. We have allied ourselves with the enemy, and now we have to watch Iran blatantly display their missile testing. Abba, we pray that the UN will be able to pass sanctions on Iran to rein them in from their desire to take over the nations of the Middle East and elsewhere. Abba without Your intervention, we are lost. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen.
- "Woe to the rebellious children," declares the LORD, "Who execute a plan, but not Mine, And make an alliance, but not of My Spirit, In order to add sin to sin . . ."
10. Air strike hits Syrian market, opposition says truce must be respected - Yahoo
A Syrian or Russian air strike was reported to have killed at least 19 people and possibly many more at a market in northwestern Syria on Monday, straining a cessation of hostilities agreement meant to pave the way for peace talks.
In a further upsurge in violence, al Qaeda's Nusra Front and other Islamist insurgents not included in the U.S.-Russian agreement attacked government forces in a neighboring province, taking over a village and at least two hilltops in their first advance for some time in the area, a monitoring group said.
The agreement, accepted by President Bashar al-Assad's government and most of his enemies, has reduced violence in Syria since it took effect on Feb 27, the first truce of its kind in a 5-year-old war that has killed more than 250,000 people and caused the world's worst refugee crisis.
Foreign powers hope the pause in fighting can lead to peace talks to end the conflict. But the agreement, which has not been directly signed by the Syrian warring parties and is less binding than a formal ceasefire, is very fragile and each side has accused the other of breaking it. (Read more)
- Abba Father, we repent of not using the power that You have given the USA for good. We have sinned against You when we do not use our God-given powers for You. We pray that You will endow the president with an overwhelming sentiment for what is happening in Syria, and that he will use the power You have given the USA to turn the situation around in Syria. We pray that it is not too late for the USA to act, and that our time has not passed. We also ask for mercy for the Syrian people, especially the family members of those who were massacred. In Your Name we pray, Amen.
- "But now, I pray, let the power of the Lord be great, just as You have declared." (Numbers 14:17)
The Daily Jot
Wednesday, March 9, 2016
Of Kings and Prophets Hollywood style
There are few things, if any, that upset me more than someone twisting or demeaning the context, the intent, the totality of the Word of God. ABC's Of Kings and Prophets does just that. Billed as "an epic Biblical saga," I couldn't make it through the first episode for the very reason of how the beautiful Word of God was conveyed in such a non-Biblical way. ABC made out the prophet Samuel to be a crazy-eyed control freak, David a shady, unclean person who was trying to avoid paying his taxes, and the cast turns the Bible into a sordid soap opera replete with sex scenes and debauchery. Warning, Warning, Warning--take heed that no Hollywood depiction of the Holy Scriptures deceive you. (Read more)
The Persecuted Church
China Forcibly Removes more Crosses in Zhejiang, Raising Number to 49 in 2016
(Wenzhou, Zhejiang-March 8, 2016) The amount of church crosses demolished in China's coastal Zhejiang since the beginning of 2016 rose to 49 on March 3 as authorities across the province continue a cross removal campaign.
Earlier this year, churches in the province received official notices that threatened to forcibly demolish the churches' crosses if they refused to voluntarily dismantle them.
After Zhongchang Church, located in Wenzhou, rejected this order, officials cut off the church's access to water and electricity on Feb. 23. Currently, the church is incapable of holding religious services due to government interference.
Songs Our Grandmothers Sang:
IN THE SWEET BY AND BY
"In My Father's house there are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you." (John 14:2)
There's a land that is fairer than day, And by faith we can see it afar; For the Father waits over the way To prepare us a dwelling place there.
In the sweet by and by,
We shall meet on that beautiful shore;
In the sweet by and by,
We shall meet on that beautiful shore.
We shall sing on that beautiful shore The melodious songs of the blessed; And our spirits shall sorrow no more, Not a sigh for the blessing of rest.
To our bountiful Father above, We will offer our tribute of praise For the glorious gift of His love And the blessings that hallow our days.
Please go here.
(Sung by Loretta Lynn)
About the Author:
Words: Sanford F. Bennett, 1868.
Music: Joseph P. Webster
This song was sung in the Academy Award winning movie Sergeant York (1941).
About the Hymn:
Mr. Webster, like many musicians, was of an exceedingly nervous and sensitive nature, and subject to periods of depression, in which he looked upon the dark side of all things in life. I had learned his peculiarities so well that on meeting him I could tell at a glance if he was melancholy, and had found that I could rouse him up by giving him a new song to work on.
He came into my place of business [in Elkhorn, Wisconsin], walked down to the stove, and turned his back on me without speaking. I was at my desk. Turning to him, I said, "Webster, what is the matter now?" "It's no matter," he replied, "it will be all right by and by." The idea of the hymn came me like a flash of sunlight, and I replied, "The Sweet By and By! Why would not that make a good hymn?" "Maybe it would," he said indifferently. Turning to my desk I penned the words of the hymn as fast as I could write. I handed the words to Webster. As he read his eyes kindled, and stepping to the desk he began writing the notes. Taking his violin, he played the melody and then jotted down the notes of the chorus. It was not over thirty minutes from the time I took my pen to write the words before two friends with Webster and myself were singing the hymn.
Sanford Fillmore Bennett (1836-1898)
Signs and Wonders
Southern Plains slammed by violent weather
NORTH TEXAS -- The southern plains are getting pounded by violent weather, including tornadoes, hail and high water.
Bystanders captured cell phone video of a funnel cloud as it tore through Hood County, Texas. When it was over, damaged homes could be seen for miles.
In nearby Stephenville, the roof was sheered off of an apartment building, leaving furniture and belongings exposed. (CBS News) Read more
"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea." (Luke 21:25)
The Good News Corner
Former Muslim Now Baptizing Muslim Converts
Shahid is proof that God is moving powerfully across parts of Muslim-majority Middle East and North Africa.
Shahid (not his real name for security purposes), is from Libya and grew up a devout Muslim.
"As every Libyan, when I was a little boy, I used to go to the Koranic school," Shahid told Leading The Way with Dr. Joseph Youssef, a Christian television and radio ministry that broadcasts in more than 190 countries around the world.
Shahid spent 14 years of his life attending Muslim schools, where a strict interpretation of Islamic jurisprudence was taught. He became an expert in the Koran, even memorizing the entire Muslim holy book.
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
Jesus Culture - "Rooftops"
Election 2016: Prayer Resources
Election 2016: Prayer Resources
"Choose some wise, understanding and respected men from each of your tribes, and I will set them over you." (Deuteronomy 1:13)
1. Family Research Council Voter Guides (General reference)
FRC has developed non-partisan voter guides for federal races in certain states, which appear in red. Click on any state to see voting information and a link to the family policy council.
To view these voter guides in all 50 states, go here.
2. 2016 Presidential Candidate Voter Guide - Family Research Council
Equip yourself with the facts before you vote. See where the candidates stand on the important issues affecting faith, family, and freedom. Click on the image below to view the full Voter Guide.
3. Intercessors for America: "How to Pray for the Election and Nation More Effectively"
Election Process is now in full swing -- time to get out the prayer!
For resources offered by IFA, please go here.
4. Wallbuilders: Christian Voter Guide.com
Lots of resources here! Go here to explore this site.
5. National Day of Prayer: Election Prayer Guide
This is an excellent guide to intercession for our state and national elections this year. NDP's prayer guide includes insights from Dave Butts, Chairman, National Prayer Committee.
To read this prayer guide, please go here.
6. Wall Street Journal: Election 2016 Calendar
Key dates in the presidential election, including debates, primaries, caucuses and other important events. Filter by a date range or category. Go here.
7. Pray as ONE
As One is a national call to prayer. The basic strategy revolves around two 40-day periods of prayer walking, fasting, and corporate prayer events. The first will start on Easter Sunday, March 27 and run through the National Day of Prayer on May 5. The second begins on September 30 and ends on Election Day. In addition, there will be much collaboration with major national prayer events that are happening throughout the year.
Click here to learn more about this united effort to call America to prayer.
"So that with one mind and one voice, you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." - (Romans 15:6)