Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief
"Praying for All in Authority"
Thursday, March 6, 2014
"You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end." (Matthew 24:6)
Please visit the website for the International Christian Concern to find ongoing needs for prayer among the persecuted around the world. Thank you.
The Daily Brief
1. Russia test-fires ICBM amid tension over Ukraine - Reuters
Russia said it had successfully test-fired an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) on Tuesday, with tensions running high over its military intervention in Ukraine's Crimea region. A U.S. official said the United States had received proper notification from Russia ahead of the test and that the initial notification pre-dated the crisis in Crimea. The Russian Defence Ministry could not be reached for comment. (Read more)
- Father we pray your continual protection as tensions rise in this area.
- "The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; My God my strength in whom I will trust." (Psalm 18:2)
2. Pentagon sending fighter jets to boost NATO presence amid Ukraine crisis - Fox News
The U.S. military is boosting its NATO presence in a bid to support the defenses of U.S. allies in Europe in response to Russia's takeover of Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula. After Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel first alluded to the effort during testimony on Capitol Hill earlier Wednesday morning, a Defense official confirmed that the U.S. will send six additional F-15s and one KC-135 to "augment the mission" in Baltic countries. (Read more)
- Lord Jesus, we place our lives in Your capable hands, and trust that in Your purposes and wisdom there is an answer to this crisis.
- "The words of his mouth were smoother than butter, but war was in his heart." (Psalm 55:21a)
3. Issa says committee could consider holding Lerner in contempt next week - Fox News
California Republican Rep. Darrell Issa told Fox News Wednesday his House committee could move as early as next week to consider holding former IRS official Lois Lerner in contempt. Lerner refused earlier in the day to testify on her role in the agency's targeting of Tea Party and other conservative groups. (Read more)
- Thank You , Lord that the committee is considering a contempt charge- it is long overdue. We pray for justice and truth to be revealed.
- "Our soul is escaped as a bird out of the snare of the fowlers: the snare is broken, and we have escaped." (Psalm 124:7)
4. Controversial DOJ nominee fails Senate test vote - Fox News
Senate Democrats fail to get enough votes to consider nomination of Debo P. Adegbile -- who had advocated for a convicted cop-killer -- to be head of the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division. Adegbile's nomination was blocked on a 47-52 vote. . . a total of seven Democrats peeled off, joining a nearly united Republican opposition. (Read more)
- Thank You, Lord for this victory! We ask that ONLY YOUR choices begin to be added to the government rather than the choices of this administration.
- "Let the wicked fall into their own nets, while I am able to escape." (Psalm 141:10)
5. Fox News poll: Obama's approval hits new low - Fox News
President Obama's job approval rating hits a record low this week, as a majority of Americans say his administration has mostly failed at growing the economy, creating jobs, improving health care and the country's image. That's according to a Fox News poll released Wednesday. For the first time in a Fox News poll, fewer than four voters in ten -- 38 percent -- approve of President Obama's job performance. Fifty-four percent disapprove. (Read more)
- Lord, we pray with fervor for You to delete the power of this president to do anything that will further harm our nation as his term runs out. We pray against every person and plan that is present in his administration. We pray that You will allow only Your perfect plans and purposes for this government, and for our nation, to prosper. In Jesus' Name, amen.
- "The way of the wicked is darkness; they do not know why they stumble."
6. White House announces new ObamaCare delay - The Hill
The White House on Wednesday announced a new ObamaCare delay that will allow some consumers to keep health plans that do not meet the law's standards until past the end of the Obama presidency. The unprecedented move, first reported by The Hill on Monday, will protect vulnerable Democrats in the midterm elections by staving off a wave of cancellation notices that would have hit patients in the final weeks of the campaign. (Read more)
- Father, it is unconstitutional to "unhook" portions of laws that are passed. We pray for a total repeal of this legislation.
- "O keep my soul, and deliver me: let me not be ashamed; for I put my trust in You." (Psalm 25:20)
7. Putin Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize - New York Post
Russian President Vladimir Putin has been nominated for the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize - but the conflict in Ukraine is also likely to be on the Nobel committee's agenda.
A record 278 candidates, including 47 organizations, received nominations for the 2014 prize, said the Norwegian Nobel Institute's director, Geir Lundestad. (Read more)
- This really seems unbelievable! Lord, we pray that this committee will come to their senses and reject this nomination. In Jesus' Name we ask this prayer, amen!
- "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter." (Isaiah 5:20)
8. Democrats Invite The Dalai Lama To Invoke Pagan 'Blessing' Over US Senate - Huffington Post
The Dalai Lama will step in for Chaplain Barry Black to lead the U.S. Senate's opening prayer on Thursday, March 6, 2014 according to the Chaplain's office. The Director of Communications for Chaplain Black's office told The Huffington Post that Senator Reid nominated the Tibetan spiritual leader to lead Thursday's prayer in the place of the chaplain, whose office regularly facilitates prayers by visiting religious leaders. (Read more)
- According to Senate protocol, whenever a senator wants to invite someone to offer the opening prayer for that chamber, the Chaplain of the Senate must comply. Please pray against any backlash that may occur, now that this deed has been done. The Dalai Lama is also scheduled to speak at a mass gathering tomorrow at National Cathedral, so please pray, too, for the protection of our city and our nation at that time.
Scripture mandates that we must forgive the Dalai Lama for worshipping a false god; he knows not what he does. May he, too, come to know our Messiah. In Jesus' name, amen.
- "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good." (Psalm 14:1)
9. BREAKING! Crimea's parliament votes in favor of leaving Ukraine for Russia, referendum scheduled - Fox News
The parliament of the disputed Crimean Peninsula has voted in favor of leaving Ukraine to become part of Russia, with a referendum on endorsing the move to be held later this month. (Read more)
- Lord, You know the motives and plans in the hearts of men. We thank You that if there is to be "change" in this region that it will done without major violence. We pray that peace would continue in Crimea, and that the voices of all involved would not be able to create death and destruction.
- "I am for peace, but when I speak, they are for war." (Psalm 120:7)
10. BREAKING! Ukraine's interim president says government working to block Crimea referendum - Fox News
Ukraine's interim president says the country's parliament is starting procedures to dismiss Crimean lawmakers and to block a referendum approved Thursday that would ask the region's voters whether or not they want to leave Ukraine for Russia.
Crimea's parliament voted in favor of the split and called for a referendum to be held on March 16, but Oleksander Turchinov said the referendum is a farce and a crime organized by Russia's military. (Read more)
- We once again appeal to the Lord Jesus Christ, who is the King of all kings and the Lord of all Lords, to bring peace to this region. Abba, we ask You today to grace all leaders in Ukraine, Crimea, and Russia with Your wisdom, Your discernment, and Your understanding. We ask this in Jesus' name, amen.
- "For the kingdom is the LORD'S: and he is the governor among the nations."
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Lord, how my foes have increased! Many are the ones who rise up against me. Many are saying of my soul, there is no deliverance for him in God. Selah. But You, YHWH, are a shield for me; my glory, the One who lifts up my head." (Psalms 3:1-3)
1. P.M. Netanyahu Addresses AIPAC Convention - Embassy of Israel
The Embassy of Israel has published the transcript of the speech that P.M. Netanyahu spoke before the AIPAC Convention this week in Washington, D.C. To read this transcript, please go here.
2. Obama Budget Slashes Israeli Missile Defense Programs - Washington Free Beacon
Joint U.S.-Israeli missile defense programs would be reduced by nearly $200 million under President Barack Obama's fiscal year 2015 budget proposal, prompting concern from lawmakers who have fought to keep the critical defense programs fully funded.
3. Iran rejects Israel's 'baseless' claims that it sent weapons ship to Gaza - Jerusalem Post
An official source in the Iranian armed forces told Iranian Tasnim news agency on Wednesday that the IDF accusation that arms found on a ship came from Tehran is "baseless and false."
4. Messianic Petition Challenges 'Christ at the Checkpoint' - Israel Today
With the third biannual Christ at the Checkpoint conference just a week away, a majority of Israeli Messianic Jews continue to find the event too politically-charged and too undergirded by anti-Semitic themes to be taken seriously as a platform for reconciliation between Israelis and Palestinians, and between Jewish and Arab believers.
5. PA Complains to UN Over Temple Mount - Arutz Sheva
The Palestinian Authority (PA) complained to the United Nations on Wednesday over Israel's actions at the Temple Mount.
6. US: We were ready to act against Iranian arms shipment but Israel volunteered - Jerusalem Post
US State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki confirmed on Wednesday that "the Israeli government interdicted a shipment of illicit Iranian arms," adding that the US was ready to act before Israel made its move.
7. Israel Navy intercepts Gaza-bound Iranian rocket ship near Port Sudan - Jerusalem Post
The Israel Navy intercepted an Iranian arms smuggling ship carrying dozens of long-range rockets to Gaza near Port Sudan early on Wednesday.
The Daily Jot
Prophetic crisis: White House pressure on Israel
Wednesday, March 5, 2014
Against the backdrop of record cold temperatures, snow and yet another foreign policy crisis in Ukraine, the president received a healthy dressing down by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The US president opened his meeting with a press appearance citing several crisis around the world that he and Netanyahu would be discussing. Netanyahu responded, "Iran calls openly for Israel's destruction, so I'm sure you'll appreciate that Israel cannot permit such a state to have the ability to make atomic bombs to achieve that goal. We just cannot be brought back again to the brink of destruction." Then he fired another volley across the presdent's battered foreign policy ship.
Netanyahu said, "The 20 years that have passed since Israel entered the peace process have been marked by unprecedented steps that Israel has taken to advance peace. I mean, we vacated cities in Judea and Samaria. We left entirely Gaza. We've not only frozen settlements, we've uprooted entire settlements. We've released hundreds of terrorist prisoners, including dozens in recent months. And when you look at what we got in return, it's been scores of suicide bombings, thousands of rockets on our cities fired from the areas we vacated, and just incessant Palestinian incitement against Israel. So Israel has been doing its part, and I regret to say that the Palestinians haven't."
He continued, "Now, I know this flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but it's the truth. And the people of Israel know that it's the truth because they've been living it. Mr. President, you rightly said that Israel, the Jewish state, is the realization of the Jewish people's self-determination in our ancestral homeland. So the Palestinians expect us to recognize a Palestinian state for the Palestinian people, a nation state for the Palestinian people. I think it's about time they recognize a nation state for the Jewish people. We've only been there for 4,000 years." While the US president tried to make light of the meeting and place extremely tough issues in with a large number of others, Netanyahu focussed the discussion.
The press conference indicated a prophetic crisis for America. The US president's earliest policy in April of 2009 was to warn Israel that it must accept a peace agreement with the Palestinian terrorists in return for the White House preventing Iran from a nuclear weapon. Since then, the US has expanded Islam throughout the Middle East by assisting the Muslim Brotherhood and al Qaeda in creating turmoil and ousting leaders. Iran's progress on a nuclear bomb has largely gone unabated. The world is a much more dangerous place because of the actions of this White House. Domestically, the US is faced with a weather crisis, an employment crisis, a budget and deficit crisis, and a Constitutional crisis.
In the end times, in the day of the Lord, Zechariah 12:9 says, "And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem." The consequences of electing evil leaders is eventual destruction. The US has leadership that is directly advancing the nations that come against Israel. The warnings of the consequences are all around us, yet we as a people seem remiss to take strong action against these leaders.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
The Madison Report
The Madison Report
THE MADISONIAN: The Legislative Bulletin for Conservatives
The Week of March 3rd-7th
The House will, once again, consider the flood insurance bill later this week after it was pulled from the floor due to a lack of support last week. The bill will be brought up as a substitute amendment to an existing flood insurance bill, thereby requiring a two-thirds vote threshold. They will likely reach that threshold.
As part of the reauthorization Congress passed the Biggert-Waters reform bill, which required recipients of NFIP to pay insurance rates that were more actuarially sound. According to the Government Accountability Office, some plans are so heavily subsidized that recipients are only paying about 35-40% of the real actuarial cost of the premiums. The Biggert-Waters bill was designed to close the $18 billion structural debt in the program engendered by these lavish subsidies, which have encouraged property owners to incur more risk than market forces would permit.
Several weeks ago, the Senate passed a bill, S. 1926, which delayed the reduction in subsidies and higher premium requirements even on homes purchased in flood zones after 2012. Those reforms were delayed for four years. The House bill will completely grandfather in any existing property to the fully subsidized rate. According to Congressional Quarterly,
"any property the program insures would forever pay rates based on the property's designated flood zone when it was built, even if the program has later determined through floodplain mapping that the property is in a higher-risk category than before."
The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) was created in 1968 to provide insurance to those living in flood-risk areas. Ever since the last long-term NFIP reauthorization expired, Congress has passed 17 stop-gap extensions. Not surprisingly, the program has racked up $24 billion in debt during that tumultuous time. The 2012 reforms represented a rare bipartisan moment when members actually made some minor reforms to make the flood insurance program more solvent. This bill will completely erase those reforms and set a precedent for the future that flood insurance subsidies are completely off limits.
It will not be an easy task to eliminate this program. Decades' worth of government incentives to live in flood-prone regions have enticed thousands of homeowners into purchasing houses in areas that will forever necessitate more subsidies. However, we need to start responsibly reducing these incentives. The Senate delayed much of these reforms. Now, ironically, the "more conservative" GOP-controlled House is slated to pass an even worse rollback of those reforms.
When Republicans can't even stick with existing rollbacks of federal subsidies and taxpayer liability does anyone believe they will have the guts to initiate new reforms in other areas of government?
Update: Hobby Lobby, and others, at the Supreme Court
The United States Supreme Court will hear oral arguments for Conestoga Wood Specialties v. Sebelius on Tuesday, March 25.
Oral Arguments for Hobby Lobby and the Little Sisters of the Poor will also be heard the same day.
Note from CHPP:
Friends in Pennsylvania have sent us this excellent guide to prayer and to action on behalf of Conestoga Wood Specialties. We are pleased to share this guide with you, below, but we ask that you incorporate the other two plaintiffs (Hobby Lobby and the Little Sisters of the Poor), as well. Thank you.
Should every American have the freedom to live and do business according to their faith?
I think you would agree with us by answering emphatically with "YES!"
Unfortunately our federal government does not agree. Their recent healthcare overhaul includes a mandate that is hurting families like the Hahns.
The Hahn family owns Conestoga Wood Specialties. They are being forced to either violate their conscience and provide abortion-inducing drugs for their employees or pay the penalty and go out of business.
The U.S. Supreme Court has agreed to hear an appeal on March 25 by the Hahn family and Conestoga in a case that is being closely watched nationally, along with the case of Hobby Lobby, because of its implications for religious freedom.
And here's where you come in: would you please join citizens across the country in taking three action steps - because we need to take a stand for religious freedom:
1. Sign-up to pray for the Hahns:
a. Tell the Hahn family you're praying for them - sign-up at www.pafamily.org/prayforthehahns.php
2. Learn about the Hahns and spread the news about the case:
a. There are eight things you should know about this year's critical Supreme Court case (Conestoga Wood Specialties v. Sebelius) - read them at
www.pafamily.org/thehahns.php b. Share our infographics and status updates from our Facebook page.
3. Get your church involved with "Pray for the Hahns Sunday" March 23
a. We have a bulletin insert available with specific prayer requests here:
Pray for the Hahns. Share their story. Involve your church family. For any additional assistance, please contact us:
717-545-0600 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Pennsylvania Family Institute
Protect the Family. Preserve the Future
8 Things You Should Know About This Year's Critical Supreme Court Case:
(Conestoga Wood Specialties v. Sebelius)
1) The Hahn Family, a Lancaster County (Pennsylvania) Mennonite family, owns Conestoga Wood Specialties. Conestoga is a wood cabinet business. From a modest beginning in a small garage in 1964, the Hahn family has grown Conestoga into an industry leader that now employs approximately 1000 workers.
2) The Hahns are pro-life. They provide Conestoga employees generous health benefits - including preventive care coverage that goes beyond what the law requires. But because they are pro-life, they excluded coverage for contraception that may act as an abortifacient.
3) With the "Affordable" Care Act came an anti-conscience, abortifacient mandate. The Affordable Care Act requires employers to pay for coverage of drugs and devices that could result in an abortion. Exemptions to this mandate extend only to places of worship and church-related outreaches. Colleges, hospitals, and all for-profit businesses must comply with this mandate.
4) The Affordable Care Act forces the Hahns to either violate their conscience and provide abortifacients or pay the penalty. The anti-conscience mandate forces business owners like the Hahn family to choose between providing abortifacient drugs or incur business-ending penalties and lawsuits. The penalty would be $100 per day, per employee. For the Hahns, that would mean paying nearly $35 million a year in fines for standing up for their faith!
5) Conestoga is not the only business asking to be exempted, nor would the Hahns be the only family exempted from the mandate. At least 61 court rulings have been made thus far related to the Affordable Care Act's abortifacient mandate. 41 involve for-profit businesses and the other 20 non-profit organizations. 54 of the 61 cases (89%) resulted in an exemption from the mandate.
6) If the government has the power to force families to choose between violating their conscience or forcing them out of business, there is no limit to the damage it can do to freedom. Government is overstepping its boundaries with this mandate. Look no further than the very first amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;" 7) There is no separating the Hahns' faith from their business or its actions. Anyone who owns a business knows that it doesn't run by itself. Those who own and operate businesses pour their hearts and their beliefs into the business. 8) The United States Supreme Court will hear oral arguments for Conestoga Wood Specialties v. Sebelius on Tuesday, March 25. The Conestoga case is one of the few cases that lost in lower courts asking for exemption from the mandate. But it was granted a review by the U.S. Supreme Court along with Sebelius v. Hobby Lobby. A decision is expected sometime in June.
Syria's Christians Under Sharia Law
Syria's Christians Under Sharia Law
Radical Islamists seized control of the Syrian city of Raqqa last year. Now they are forcing Christians in the area to submit to a dhimma -- a feature of Sharia law that makes them second-class citizens.
According to the terms imposed on Raqqa's Christians by the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIS): Christians in Raqqa must pay a tax of roughly $1,000 per person. Poor Christians will be required to pay $250. They can practice their faith in private. But, they cannot pray in public. They cannot build new churches. They cannot rebuild destroyed churches. And they cannot ring church bells. They cannot carry weapons, and they must report any threats against the Muslim establishment.
Many Christians in Raqqa signed the agreement on threat of death if they did not. Of course, Christians who do not wish to be taxed and forced to live under such conditions can always convert to Islam. Those who refused were warned that "nothing will remain between them and ISIS other than the sword."
There was nothing but silence from the power centers in Washington, D.C., namely the State Department and the White House, to this gross violation of human rights and religious liberty. I guess no one perceived a "gay" angle that could be exploited.
I had no expectations that the "progressives" and leftists running Washington, D.C., would care about some suffering Christians. But how about U.S. churches? How many pastors will inform their congregations of what is happening to their brothers and sisters in Christ? (Gary Bauer)
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Entire Families Coming to Christ in Saudi Arabia
"I am an Iranian and was not only a Muslim but also part of a terrorist family. Jesus appeared to me in a dream and changed my life. Do not miss this!"
(Saudi Arabia)-In November 2013, Greg Kernaghan, a writer for Operation Mobilization (OM) International, traveled through the Middle East interviewing and recording Christian workers in those areas. The following are accounts from his time in Saudi Arabia. Note that the names and some of the places he mentions have been changed to protect Christians from persecution.
Writes Kernaghan: "We're hearing of women and whole families coming to Christ, which is significant. Normally we would know of individual men but, as the culture places such importance on the family unit, this is a major step forward.
"One girl is writing hymns and posting them on the Internet. That was where she learnt of Christ and has 'met' workers, although she has yet to meet other Christians face to face. Two of her sisters also believe in Christ. A Bahraini across the country is gifted in playing local Arabic instruments. He puts her hymns to music and posts them on YouTube."
Another story told to Kernaghan is about two workers "who walked past a sidewalk café in Europe. Five Arabs invited them to join them. God prompted one of the workers, a Saudi-whose dialect was immediately recognizable and thus a surprise to the five men-to share his testimony. The hearers asked, 'Aren't you afraid of confessing this because of the consequences in your country?' He replied, 'No, because I am at peace with God and know where I will spend eternity.' As he continued to speak one of the listeners, also a Saudi, began to weep. Their time ended with the workers praying for the five men.
"The next day, they met one of the Saudi men who said, 'As you spoke yesterday, I felt real peace within me for the first time.' He asked for materials to share with the other four friends.
"While the workers were in conversation on the street with another Arab," notes Kernaghan, "an Iranian woman approached them - shocking it itself - and said, 'You must listen to this man; he speaks truth. I am an Iranian and was not only a Muslim but also part of a terrorist family. Jesus appeared to me in a dream and changed my life. Do not miss this!' This caused the man to begin thinking and questioning deeply; not long after he came to Christ." (Breaking Christian News) Read more.
Signs and Wonders
Signs and Wonders:
30-metre-wide asteroid to pass between Earth and the moon
[ Note: this asteroid was reported this morning on CNN. It passed earth today at 3:30 p.m. EST]
On Wednesday afternoon, a roughly 30-metre-wide asteroid will be passing by the Earth close enough to dip inside the orbit of the moon.
This asteroid, named 2014 DX110, was discovered just four days ago, and astronomers tracking it already have a good idea of its size and its orbit around the sun. Based on its brightness, they estimate that 2014 DX110 is about 20-30 metres wide and about 16,000 metric tons. It's specifically an Apollo asteroid - so called because its orbit is larger than Earth's orbit and takes it on a path that crosses Earth's orbit. Since it comes so close to Earth on this pass, it's also considered to be a Potentially-Hazardous Asteroid (PHA), although that doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to hit us at some point. Being named a PHA only means that it comes within a certain distance of Earth and it's big enough that if it actually did hit us at some point, it would do some noticeable damage.
This particular pass of 2014 DX110 comes exceptionally close to Earth (at least by astronomical standards) - just 347,000 kilometres, or roughly 90 per cent of the distance between the Earth and the moon. However, because space is so big, even coming that close to us, the chance of 2014 DX110 actually hitting Earth is around 1 in 10 million. That's a 99.99999 per cent chance that it will miss!
(Yahoo News) Read more.
"And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near."
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!