Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief
"Praying for All in Authority"
Monday, March 3, 2014
"You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end." (Matthew 24:6)
Please visit the website for the International Christian Concern to find ongoing needs for prayer among the persecuted around the world. Thank you.
The Daily Brief
1. Putin gets permission to use Russian military in Ukraine - Fox News
Russian President Vladimir Putin received permission Saturday from parliament to mobilize the country's military in Ukraine.
Parliament voted unanimously on the request and also recommended that Moscow's ambassador be recalled from Washington over earlier comments made by President Obama.
Putin says the move is needed to protect ethnic Russians and the personnel of a Russian military base in Ukraine's strategic region of Crimea. The request comes a day after President Obama warned Moscow that "there will be costs" if it intervenes militarily in Ukraine. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, what is being reported is that Russian interests are being threatened, so the Russian parliament approved using the military to protect these interests. Russia's unilateral act of aggression against another sovereign nation cannot go unanswered. We ask You, Lord, to have mercy on the people in the Ukraine and the rest of Eastern Europe plus the rest of the world. Events appear to be escalating to nuclear war from which no one truly wins. We ask You to be in the midst of all of this escalation and to stop it if it is not of Your timing. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so." (James 3:10)
2. Ukraine mobilizes after Putin's 'declaration of war' - Reuters
KIEV/BALACLAVA, Ukraine - Ukraine mobilized for war on Sunday and Washington threatened to isolate Russia economically, after President Vladimir Putin declared he had the right to invade his neighbor. (Read more)
- Abba Father, as would be expected, the arrival of Russian troops in the Crimean region has triggered a military response by Ukraine. Direct us Father, how to pray and respond to these escalating events, in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man." (Psalm 118:8)
3. Ukraine live: 'Europe's peace is at risk,' says Nato chief - Telegraph.UK.com
Anders Fogh Rasmussen, the Nato secretary general, has warned that Europe stands on the brink and John Kerry, the secretary of state, accuses Russia of an "incredible act of aggression". (Read more)
- Lord Jesus, these actions in the Ukraine is awakening the EU and the US to the seriousness of this confrontation. Accusations and counter threats are being exchanged. Lord, we ask You to fully confront these leaders in the EU, US, Russia and the Ukraine, as to what they are doing and for You to expose any hidden plans and schemes, for all the world to see and hear. We pray in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- "Evil men do not understand justice, but those who seek the Lord understand all." (Proverbs 28:5)
4. 'US pressuring Israel to stop killing Iran nuclear scientists' - Jerusalem Post
The United States is pressuring Israel to stop assassinating Iranian nuclear scientists, a number of whom have been mysteriously killed in a campaign thought to be carried out by Mossad. Obama administration officials have communicated their wish for a cessation of the targeting of scientists in order to allow diplomatic negotiations to take their course. (Read more)
- Lord God, if this report did not come from a reliable source, we would not believe it. However, the Jerusalem Post is a reputable newspaper, so we must press in now, asking You to intervene from Your position in heaven, and stop our country from pressuring Israel to do anything, at any time. Israel is a sovereign nation and its leaders certainly have the right to determine their own course of action to protect their own people. Once more, we ask You to forgive Barack Hussein Obama, for he knows not what he does. In Your name, amen.
- "Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; nor His ear heavy, that it cannot hear." (Isaiah 59:1)
5. Upon takeoff for US, Netanyahu vows to 'stand firm on Israel's vital interests' - Jerusalem Post
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu's message before boarding his plane for Washington Sunday and his meeting Monday with US President Barack Obama is that Israel has successfully withstood strong pressure over the last few years, and will continue to do so. ..."I will meet President Obama, and we will discuss Iran and the diplomatic process. I will stand firm on Israel's vital interests, first and foremost security." (Read more)
- Abba Father, we ask that You infuse to overflowing Prime Minister Netanyahu's mind, body and spirit with Your special strength, discernment, wisdom and courage, so that he speaks only that which You desire him to speak during these talks today. Surround him with Your protective angels, in Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "'Do not be afraid of their faces, for I am with you to deliver you,' says the Lord." (Jeremiah 1:8)
6. Israeli banks to be targeted in US tax sweep - Times of Israel
The US needs money - and it's willing to go to the ends of the earth, including Israel, to track down deadbeats who are evading their taxes. Israel was named specifically as a country where US authorities were tracking down tax cheats, implementing policies that leave banks little choice but to comply and hand over account information to the American authorities. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we ask that You arise and be strongly in the midst of these challenges to Israeli banks as the US tax authorities demand information from them on potential 'tax cheats' abiding in Israel who have their money 'hidden there'. Protect Your special people from any distortions and false accusations, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- "As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds His people from this time forth and forever." (Psalm 125:2)
7. The Supreme Court Has Given Police Another Way to Search Your Home Without a Warrant - The Blaze
Make sure you're on good terms with your roommate or spouse - the Supreme Court now says just one occupant of a home can give consent to searches without a warrant, even if an individual has previously objected. The nation's highest court ruled 6-3 in favor of law enforcement Tuesday in Fernandez v. California, which stemmed from a 2009 arrest and search in connection with a robbery in Los Angeles. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, here is another report of the courts allowing violation of our constitutional rights. If someone has objected to a search of a property without a warrant to justify it, this article reports that someone else living there can give permission which overrides the original non permission. Father, we know the sinfulness of our nation and its' people, but we are asking mercy, Father, because our laws are being discarded or overridden constantly. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself; the simple pass on and are punished." (Proverbs 27:12 )
8. California storms did little to ease drought conditions - LA Times
'No drought-buster, but it's a nice, fat down payment' in the water bank, climatologist says. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we lift up praise that the area of extreme drought in Califormia has received some accumulation of rain. We ask that these rains continue, until the full measure of the water table in this state has been restored. In Jesus' Name, amen.
- "Our help is in the name of the Lord, Who made heaven and earth." (Psalm 124:8)
9. Tenn. State University Requires Students to Wear Trackable IDs - National Review
Beginning Saturday, March 1, students and staff at Tennessee State University will be required to present identification badges at any time that can also track their movements in and out of buildings, according to a local news report. After a spate of break-ins and vandalism, officials at the university instituted the new ID requirement as a way to ensure safety on campus, a TSU release said. (Read more)
- Abba Father, due to the rash of criminal incidents happening on this campus, this University has moved to have 'trackable' ID's on all staff and students. We ask that this be used for good and not become just another violation of privacy and rights. In the Name of Jesus we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "Give us help from trouble, for the help of man is useless. Through God we will do valiantly, for it is He who shall tread down our enemies." (Psalm 108:12-13)
10. Muslims Get Their Own Official Caucus On Capitol Hill Backed By Obama - JewsNews
A branch of Islam is getting official representation through a new House caucus, and it was officially unveiled on Friday. (Read more)
- Pray in the Spirit over this report. The LORD is in control and His desire is for all of these men and women to find salvation through the Blood of the Lamb, in repentance for their sins. Pray that the message of our dear brother Kamal Saleem reaches the ears of all who will be involved in this new caucus. [At present, there are only two members of Congress who follow Islam: Rep. Keith Ellsion (MN) and Rep. Andre Carson (IN) ]
- "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Lord, how my foes have increased! Many are the ones who rise up against me. Many are saying of my soul, there is no deliverance for him in God. Selah. But You, YHWH, are a shield for me; my glory, the One who lifts up my head." (Psalms 3:1-3)
1. Netanyahu: We will do everything necessary to protect our citizens - ForZion.com
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu insisted that Israel has the right to protect its citizens, when queried Tuesday at a press conference about an alleged Israeli air strike on the Syrian-Lebanese border the night before. "Our policy is clear -- we will not speak about reports of what we did or didn't do -- but we do all that is necessary in order to defend our citizens," Netanyahu said. Hezbollah denied the air strike on their television network al-Manar. (Read more)
2. Yaalon: Iran More Worrisome than Before - ForZion.com Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon met Tuesday with the visiting German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen in his Tel Aviv bureau. The two met in Berlin last month. Yaalon told von der Leyen that Israel is following the changes in the region with concern. "Our main worry is the Iranian regime, and today we are more worried than we were in the past. We recognize that the Iranian regime understands that on the one hand, it has an opportunity to develop and improve the economy, and on the other hand, to become a nuclear threshold state. Read more.
3. Iranian Official: 'We are Preparing to Liberate Jerusalem - ForZion.com
The Islamist Basij militia force in Tehran ran a special military exercise Thursday and Friday preparing for an Iranian takeover of Jerusalem. The exercise, entitled "March to Al-Maqdis (Jerusalem)," included training in the event of such a takeover, including drills for the protection of cities, assistance and rescue, dealing with social unrest, the protection of sensitive and important military centers, dealing with the invasion and landing of "enemy" (IDF) forces from helicopters, and carrying out complicated tactical maneuvers at night. (Read more)
Prayer for Crimea
Request to pray for Crimea, Southern Ukraine
Week March 2 - 9
Dear Lausanne, WEA, WEA MC and Global Prayer Movement Leaders
. . . In view of the seriousness of the situation in Crimea in particular and Ukraine in general, we need God's intervention urgently. I therefore request the global evangelical community to call on Christians to pray for Crimea and Ukraine during the next week. Thank you for considering this request.
Greetings in Christ,
Dr Sas Conradie
1) Crimea - some background
2) Crimea on 1 March 2014
3) Prayer points
To read this Guide to Prayer for Crimea, please go here.
This prayer guide has been developed by:
Dr Sas Conradie (past missionary to Crimea, presently coordinating an initiative of the World Evangelical Alliance)
And: Dr Anatole Glukhovskyy (Lausanne Movement International Deputy Director for Eurasia) Kostya Bakanov (Christian leader in Crimea)
Ukrainian Believers Thank You!
Ukraine's Interim President Calls for Prayer,
Ukrainian Believers Thank Christians around the World for Interceding
"Alexander Turchinov (interim president) is a good Christian man. He belongs to one of the largest Baptist churches in Kiev. We are praying, and [we] ask you to pray with us that God will grant wisdom to our brother and to the other elected officials to head the country." - Sergei Gladishko, SGA.
(Ukraine)-Ousted Ukrainian president, Victor Yanukovich has reportedly fled the country, seeking refuge in Russia, while he calls the acting president and parliament of Ukraine "unlawful."
Meanwhile, Ukraine's interim leader, President Oleksandr Turchinov-a Baptist pastor-warned his countrymen against "dangerous signs of separatism" in parts of the country, according to a Mission Network News report.
"At this point, it seems more like it may be more saber rattling than anything else, but the situation remains very fluid," said Turchinov. "We just really have to lift this matter up in prayer. Ukraine is a very unique country, and a lot of places have very strategic interests in it."
Sergei Gladishko, of the Slavic Gospel Association posted an open letter of gratitude from Ukrainian Believers to everyone who has interceded in prayer on behalf of their country:
We are very thankful to you for your prayers and encouragement. We praise God for your faithful partnership in ministry. We are very thankful to God for leading us through a difficult political situation. Now the process of forming a new government has begun. On February 22, the deputy chairman of Ukraine's "Motherland" party, Alexander Turchinov, was appointed as Chairman (or Speaker of the Ukrainian parliament, which is called the Verkhovna Rada). Later in the day, parliament voted to remove President Viktor Yanukovich, declaring him constitutionally unable to carry out his duties. Next, the parliament set May 25 as the date for a special presidential election. In the meantime, Alexander Turchinov was appointed as acting president of Ukraine. He has also been authorized to sign laws adopted during this transitional period. Alexander Turchinov is a good Christian man. He belongs to one of the largest Baptist churches in Kiev. We are praying, and [we] ask you to pray with us that God will grant wisdom to our brother and to the other elected officials to head the country.
Because of the former government, the capital city of Kiev has not had a mayor for two years. May 25 has also been set for a special mayoral election. Please, join us in praying a good mayor to be elected. We are trusting that God will grant us an honest and worthy president, new government, and new mayor.
(Source: Breaking Christian News) Read more.
FRC Hands Out "True Blue" Awards
143 Representatives, 10 Senators Win FRC Action's 'True Blue' Award
for Unwavering Support of the Family
February 28, 2014
WASHINGTON, D.C. - FRC Action and AFA Action honored Members of Congress with their "True Blue" award for the Member's unwavering commitment and consistent support of faith, family and freedom. In all, 143 representatives and 10 senators were honored with the award for the First Session of the 113th Congress, scoring a perfect 100 percent on this year's scorecard.
Votes in the U.S. House included:
* Ban on abortion on pain-capable unborn children nationally
* Preventing the appointment of non-religious, atheist military chaplains
* Delaying Obamacare and protecting conscience rights
Votes in the U.S. Senate included:
* Vote to strengthen parental notification in minor's abortion decision
* Votes to defund and delay Obamacare
* Activist nominees such as Cornelia Pillard and Chai Feldblum
Family Research Council Action President Tony Perkins made the following comments:
We thank these Members of Congress for consistently voting to defend and advance faith, family and freedom. These 'True Blue Members' have voted to delay Obamacare, protect the unborn, and stand for religious liberty.
"FRC and the thousands of families that we represent applaud these Members for their unwavering commitment to faith, family and freedom," concluded Perkins.
American Family Association Action President Tim Wildmon made the following comments:
"Our country so desperately needs lawmakers and elected officials who will stand up for the moral issues that are shaping our society. These leaders have helped preserve life, protect religious liberties and promote families, and for this, we thank them."
> > > To download a copy of the Vote Scorecard, visit http://www.frcaction.org/scorecard
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Actress Patricia Heaton:
More Christians in Tinseltown than We Think
"It's unusual that really two shows I have been on have had that in common, 'Raymond' and 'The Middle'-both families were churchgoers, and they never made a big deal about it. It was just part of the fabric of their lives which is true for many, many families in the United States, but it is never portrayed."
(Hollywood, CA)-Emmy Award-winning actress, and outspoken Christian, Patricia Heaton spoke with The Blaze recently, about being a Believer amongst the Hollywood community, and the fact that she is not alone there, in her faith.
Heaton noted that there are actually many Christians in the industry, as well as those who are seeking, but that those Christian celebrities who are not vocal about their faith may be afraid of the less-than-favorable perceptions and stereotypes of Bible-Believers.
". . . I think there has been this idea out there and the media kind of runs with it," Heaton explained, "portrays Christians as bad guys."
The actress-who stars in the soon-to-be-released movie "Mom's Night Out"-suggested that just living the life may carry more weight in Hollywood.
. . . Heaton, who is Catholic and also attends "a variety of Christian churches" according to the report, shared about her years on the set of "Everybody Loves Raymond," playing Deborah Barone, and of her current show, "The Middle," (now in its 5th year) where she plays Frankie Heck. (Breaking Christian News) Read more.
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
Andrea Bocelli - The Lord's Prayer
(Listen by going here.)