Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief
"Praying for All in Authority"
Friday, March 14, 2014
"Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love." (I Corinthians 16: 13,14)
Please visit the website for the International Christian Concern to find ongoing needs for prayer among the persecuted around the world. Thank you.
The Daily Brief
1. Obama calls for a 'rethinking' on Crimea vote - Israel Hayom
Counting down to the high-stakes Crimean referendum, U.S. President Barack Obama declared Wednesday that the U.S. would "completely reject" a vote opening the door for the strategic Ukrainian peninsula to join Russia if the election goes ahead on Sunday. Adding pressure on Russia, the Senate advanced a package of potentially tough economic sanctions against Moscow.
- Father, we come to You on behalf of those in Crimea, who are seeing their freedom being taken away, and are fearful, not knowing what is coming next. We ask You to comfort and strengthen them, give them courage and hope. We pray concerning this "election", that You will protect those who wish to vote, and that the violence would end. We thank You that You make even the wrath of man to praise You. We ask for Your grace and mercy in this volatile situation. Bring glory to Yourself even in this situation, we pray. Amen.
- "You, even You, are to be feared [with awe and reverence]! Who may stand in Your presence when once Your anger is roused? You caused sentence to be heard from heaven; the earth feared and was still- When God arose to [establish] judgment, to save all the meek and oppressed of the earth. Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]!Surely the wrath of man shall praise You; the remainder of wrath shall You restrain and gird and arm Yourself with it. Vow and pay to the Lord your God; let all who are round about Him bring presents to Him Who ought to be [reverently] feared. He will cut off the spirit [of pride and fury] of princes; He is terrible to the [ungodly] kings of the earth." (Psalm 76:7-12)
2. Kerry Says Russia Will Not Budge on Ukraine Talks - VOA
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry called talks Friday with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov "constructive and frank" but said that Russia is not prepared to make any decisions on Ukraine until after a referendum in Crimea set for Sunday. Kerry said the U.S. continues to favor a direct dialogue with Russia and Ukraine. He added that the U.S. does not recognize the legality of a referendum that could see Crimea break away from Ukraine and join Russia.
- Abba, again we thank You that You are the God of all the earth, and that You are Jehovah Shammah-"the God Who is There" and ever present. We ask that You make Your presence known to the leaders of the nations, and that You encircle and protect those who look to You for their help. You are a faithful God!
- "God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved; God will help her right early [at the dawn of the morning].The nations raged, the kingdoms tottered and were moved; He uttered His voice, the earth melted. The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our Refuge (our Fortress and High Tower). Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]!" (Psalm 46:5-7)
3. US Congressional Action on Ukraine Aid Delayed by IMF Disputes - VOA
A dispute over International Monetary Fund borrowing quotas is delaying efforts by the U.S. Congress to pass an emergency aid package for the interim Ukrainian government, which is facing a potential default and Russian military intervention in the Crimean peninsula. Secretary of State John Kerry is calling on lawmakers to include IMF reform as a critical part of a loan package to Ukraine, but some House Republicans are skeptical.
- Lord, we do not understand how the International Monetary Fund's borrowing quotas has anything to do with delaying Congressional action on an aid package for Ukraine. We ask that the IMF disputes would be "tabled" temporarily, as Ukraine is in this crisis, fighting for survival. Surely Congress can make exceptions to their own rules. We ask that this aid that is needed from the U.S. will be approved expeditiously and arrive quickly, while it is so desperately needed. In Your Name we pray, Amen.
- "See how they are repaying us by coming to drive us out of the possession You gave us as an inheritance. Our God, will you not judge them? For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on You." (2 Chronicles 20:11,12)
4. US Attorney General Supports Plan to Reduce Drug Sentences - VOA
U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder is endorsing a proposal that would reduce prison sentences for certain drug offenses. Holder will appear before the U.S. Sentencing Commission Thursday to testify in support of its proposal to reduce sentences of drug traffickers convicted in federal court. The commission's proposal would reduce the federal prison population by about 6,550 inmates over the next five years. The United States has the world's largest prison population.
- Abba, we realize that our prison population is the largest in the world, and yet, it seems wise to incarcerate those who have no regard for the law, and wish to prey on others to gain wealth. We ask that You would give wisdom to this administration, with an eye to rehabilitate the lawless, and not to just release them back into society to reoffend. We know that only You can change hearts, and, indeed, this is the only real, long-term solution. We do pray for our nations prisoners to have an encounter with You and submit to You as Savior, walking away from their former deeds of darkness, into Your Life and Light. Amen.
- "This is what the Lord says: 'In the time of my favor I will answer you, and in the day of salvation I will help you; I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people,to restore the land and to reassign its desolate inheritances to say to the captives, 'Come out,' and to those in darkness, 'Be free!'" (Isaiah 49:8,9)
5. Bipartisan Bill Would Eliminate Useless Government Reports - Washington Free Beacon
Congress is moving forward with legislation that would eliminate hundreds of useless government reports, including the annual review on "Dog and Cat Fur" by the Department of Homeland Security.
- Abba, we thank You that both political parties have actually reached an agreement to eliminate hundreds of useless government reports! We praise You for this, and pray that they will continue to dialogue and find a consensus on other ways they can trim the budget, while still providing necessary services. We pray for a spirit of unity, and organization to come upon them, and Your wisdom to guide them in these important negotiations. We pray this in Your Precious Name, Amen.
- "'Come now, and let us reason together', says the Lord." (Isaiah 1:18)
6. More Bodies Discovered in Rubble of New York City Explosion - VOA
Hopes of finding more survivors from a deadly building explosion in New York City's Harlem neighborhood are fading. Rescuers have found an eighth body in the remains of two New York City apartment buildings destroyed by a blast caused by a gas leak Wednesday. At least nine others are still missing and 63 people were hurt. But hopes of finding anyone else alive are fading. New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said investigators can get conclusive evidence of what caused the gas leak.
- Abba, we are saddened and grieved to hear of this terrible explosion that occurred in New York, as a result of a gas leak. We ask that You comfort those who lost loved ones, and those whose loved-ones are injured. We ask for Your peace to be upon them, and that You would heal all their wounds, physically, and psychologically. We ask that You give wisdom to those investigating this incident, so that information can be gained, in order to make any changes that are needed, to prevent any similar incidents happening in the future. Thank You for Your love and faithfulness to all those Who call upon You for strength and comfort. Amen.
- "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is the Father, Who is full of mercy and all comfort. He comforts us every time we have trouble, so when others have trouble, we can comfort them with the same comfort God gives us."
(2 Corinthians 1:3,4)
7. China intercepted missing Malaysian flight? - WND
TEL AVIV - A review of China's recently updated strict rules for aircraft identification over the South China Sea raises immediate questions about a possible Chinese military response to the missing Malaysia Airlines flight that, according to many reports, was last seen over the disputed waters.
- Father, we come to You and ask that You reveal the secret things regarding the disappearance of this aircraft. We know that light and darkness are the same to You, as You see the deeds done under cover of darkness. We ask that You expose and lay bare any subterfuge that may have taken place, so it may be dealt with appropriately. We continue to ask for Your comfort for all the families that have suffered loss and grief as a result of this incident, and give them Your peace, we pray. Amen.
- "If I say, 'Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,' even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you." (Psalm 139:11,12)
8. Islamic Jihad Warns Israelis in Hebrew: 'Get Out of Our Country' - Israel National News
Iranian-backed terrorist group releases video promising to 'kill or capture' Israeli soldiers if IDF invades Gaza in response to rockets. As tensions continue to mount in the Gaza Region following last night's barrage of more than 60 rockets fired by Islamic Jihad, and the IDF's response, leaders on both sides of the Israel-Gaza border are bracing themselves for the potential of a larger-scale Israeli military operation.
- O Lord God of Israel, we come to You, and asking You to 'behold their threatenings' and respond from Heaven! O Lord of Hosts, they are threatening Your beloved Land, belonging to You alone, and "lent" to Your people, Israel. We pray that You would confound Your enemies and bring them to shame. May what they plan for Israel, come back on their own heads, we pray. We ask You to show Yourself strong, on behalf of Your people, so that the world may see that there is a God in Israel, the only One true God! We ask for wisdom and discernment for PM Netanyahu and the heads of the IDF, as they ponder their options in response to this threat. We thank You, Lord, that nothing is too hard for You, and You do keep Covenant with Your people forever!! Amen.
- "And he said, O Lord, the God of Israel, there is no God like You in heaven above or on the earth beneath, keeping covenant and showing mercy and loving-kindness to Your servants who walk before You with all their heart." (I Kings 8:23)"
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"The heavens declare the glory of God; and the expanse proclaims His handiwork. Day to day pours forth speech, and night to night reveals knowledge. There is no speech nor are there words; their voice is not heard." (Psalms 19:1-3)
1. Sporadic rocket fire from Gaza continues to hit South despite 'ceasefire' - Jerusalem Post
Sporadic rocket fire from the Gaza Strip fell in southern Israel on Thursday evening hours after the Islamic Jihad claimed that Egypt had brokered a ceasefire to end two days of hostilities that has seen nearly 70 rockets fall in the South.
2. Kerry: Netanyahu wrong to insist Palestinians recognize Israel as Jewish state - Jerusalem Post
Secretary of State John Kerry told members of Congress on Thursday that international law already declares Israel a Jewish state, and called Prime Minister Benyamin Netanyahu's insistence on a public declaration of Israel's Jewish character from the Palestinians "a mistake" in the diplomatic process.
The Daily Jot
White House foreign policy: prophetic, foolish or both?
It has all the ingredients for an award winning comedy, except it's not so funny. I'm talking about the foreign policy of the occupant of the Oval Office. He and his cast of buffoons--including megalomaniacs former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and the current one John Kerry (also considered by the Democratic Party one of the smartest men in the world i.e., recall the 2004 presidential election)--have made a mess which will take decades to correct. It began with a hall pass for Islamic terrorists with the president's Cairo speech in June 2009, thereafter the US worked with terrorists--the Muslim Brotherhood and al Qaeda--to overthrow governments in the Middle East. Now they are messing with the Russian bear.
In typical John Kerry fashion, the Vietnam War Jane Fonda-mold turncoat, drew yet another line in the sand that the Russians have scoffed at. Kerry stuck his long chin out and told them that if they don't pull out of Ukraine there will be consequences. He mentioned something about sanctions. I am sure that just the word "sanctions" sent Russian President Vladimir Putin shaking in his jack-boots....from laughter. Anyone remember the Carter-imposed sanctions against the Soviets for invading Afghanistan? They nearly destroyed our farm economy, which still has not recovered. So much for the political party that said food should never be used as a weapon. Oh yes, it was Carter who is also responsible for the Ayatollahs taking "democratic" control of Iran, launching modern terrorism.
And it is the current president whose policies may have accelerated the prophetic revival of an end time Caliphate--Islamic states that come against Israel--Ezekiel 38:2-13: Meshech (Turkey); Tubal (Turkey); Persia (Iran); Ethiopia (Sudan); Libya (Libya), Gomer (Turkey), Togarmah (Turkey); Sheba (Saudi Arabia); Dedan (Saudi Arabia): "To take a spoil, and to take a prey." Speaking of Gog, the antichrist, verse 17 says, "Thus says the Lord God; Art you he of whom I have spoken in old time by my servants the prophets of Israel, which prophesied in those days many years that I would bring thee against them?" And as with the prophecy of Ishmael in Genesis 16:12, Ezekiel 38:21 says, "And I will call for a sword against him throughout all my mountains, says the Lord God: every man's sword shall be against his brother."
Kerry, questioned by a Senator on the White House plans if Russia doesn't stand down, answered, "We have contingencies--we are talking through various options that may or may not be available." What? Really? That's a decisive lever in the new cold war. Of the 35 ethnic groups in Russia, a 2002 census indicated that 16 were Islamic, 14 were listed as "Christian," meaning that ethnically Muslims are a majority in Russia, even though they "religiously" comprise 10.9% of the population. The fools in the White House are perhaps cunning foxes as their policies, intentionally or otherwise, rally Islam worldwide. These are complex issues that have prophetic significance. Psalm 33:12 says, "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." Where does that put America under the current leadership?
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Worthy Watchman Alert - March 14, 2014
(Est 4:14) For if you are completely silent at this time, relief and deliverance shall arise to the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house shall be destroyed. And who knows whether you have come to the kingdom for a time like this?
When I started Worthy News, I founded it on this word in Luke's gospel:- "Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man." - Luke 21:36 Foundational to our ministry is the call to watch and pray, especially concerning world developments.
Mordecai's words to his niece, Esther, at this most critical moment in Israel's history, have become a timeless call to God's people to awaken and to be alert to the times and seasons in which we live. This weekend is one of those particular times to be "watching"! While the world anxiously awaits the outcome of the crisis in Ukraine this weekend, many may not be aware that the events taking place are falling on a particular holiday that has been significant in ancient as well as modern history.
You see, this weekend, the festival of Purim will begin on Saturday evening and continue for two days, ending on Monday at sundown. This yearly celebration marks the deliverance of the Jews in Persia from the hands of Haman, a vicious prime minister, who plotted the extermination of every Jew in the empire. The plot was foiled by God's providential hand and the courage of a lovely young Jewish woman who took her life in her hands for the sake of her people.
Modern history has also marked this festival several times in the past 25 years. The First Gulf war in the 1990's ended on the festival of Purim; and again, 12 years later, the Second Gulf war began on the same Jewish holiday. In 2011, the war with Libya started on Purim as well, and, as a side note, there was a blood red moon over Washington D.C. the night hostilities began.
Over the past week, both NATO forces and Russia have built up their military presence in the Ukraine. And this weekend, Russia is conducting a referendum in Crimea to determine whether the province will come under Russian sovereignty. The West is claiming that the referendum is invalid because Crimea is part of Ukraine. With such powerful military forces potentially arrayed against each other at this very season, an anniversary of terrible crisis, we are calling for watchfulness and vigilant prayer. It was Esther's call to every Jew to fast and pray for deliverance. Our prayers for a non-violent resolution to this dangerous situation on this portentous anniversary could help to avert another modern disaster.
Please join with us to watch and pray during this weekend festival - the crisis is real, and as the Lord's royal priesthood we have a mandate to stand with and for His purposes at "such a time as this"!
Your family in the Lord with much agape love,
George, Baht Rivka, Elianna & Obadiah
Negev Desert, Israel
Speak Up For the Air Force Cadets
Speak Up For the Air Force Cadets
Cadets at the United States Air Force Academy should expect to be trained in dealing with fear -- fear of surface-to-air missiles, anti-aircraft fire, or falling into enemy hands. Unfortunately at today's Air Force Academy, cadets must also deal with fear of expressing their faith.
Recently, a cadet wrote a Bible verse on the dry-erase board on the door to his dorm room. Apparently, the Apostle Paul's words to the Galatians that "I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. . . " (Gal. 2:20) were a little too much for someone to tolerate, and the verse was removed after an anti-Christian activist group complained to the Superintendent of the Academy.
This incident reflects a culture of suppression that is being instilled among some of America's best young warriors. When religious expression is whitewashed because of the complaints of a hyper-sensitive few, the Academy develops a culture of fear when it should be developing warriors.
If cadets are taught to be afraid of Bible verses, how will they respond against terrorists who are willing to die for their cause? Our U.S. Air Force Academy cadets should be taught how to intercept the enemy, not how to tiptoe around the hyper-sensitive complainants.
Join me in standing against this culture of fear at the U.S. Air Force Academy and stand for the cadets by signing the petition to Superintendent Lt. Gen. Michelle Johnson to protect the religious expression of Air Force Academy cadets.
Urge the Air Force Academy to protect the religious freedom of its cadets! Click here to sign the petition.
Lt. Gen. (US Army-Ret.) William "Jerry" Boykin
Executive Vice President
Family Research Council
Hobby Lobby and the White House
A Hobson's choice: Religious freedom in the business world.
"A household name kicked an old habit for moral reasons last month: CVS Pharmacy announced it would stop selling tobacco. Other companies taking moral positions that infuse their business include Whole Foods Market and Chipotle Mexican Grill, which sell food grown or raised to high standards of environmental and animal welfare. Wal-Mart, Walgreens, and Disney cut the cost of fresh fruits and vegetables and eliminated junk-food ads to curb childhood obesity. Dunkin' Donuts recycles its foam cups and funds research for a non-foam cup alternative to reduce its carbon footprint. TOMS Shoes donates a pair of new shoes to a needy child for every pair it sells. Newman's Own gives all its profits to charity.
These decisions reflect a growing American trend of corporate social responsibility, where profit-making businesses make some decisions apart from - and often contrary to - their bottom-line financial interests, based on moral or philosophical values. The White House heaped praise on CVS's decision as a "powerful example" for corporate America.
But when an arts-and-crafts chain, Hobby Lobby, and a Christian bookstore chain, Mardel, decided to exclude from their employee health insurance plans drugs and devices that can end human life after conception because of religious values, the White House responded very differently. It has fought them all the way to the United States Supreme Court. . . . The government praises one corporate decision, but litigates to reverse another. The government cannot have it both ways. Either a business can consciously make a decision for moral reasons or it cannot. When the White House praises CVS for placing moral motives ahead of financial ones - reportedly a top CVS executive had lost a relative to tobacco-related disease and decided to do something about it - the government is admitting that companies can make moral decisions that reflect the values of their stakeholders." (Deseret News) Read more.
House Demands Obama Enforce The Law
House Demands Obama Enforce The Law
The House of Representatives passed a rather surprising bill yesterday. It demanded that President Obama do his job -- enforce the law. The bill was sponsored by Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC) and was a response to Obama's repeated unilateral actions either rewriting existing laws or refusing to enforce them.
For example, Obama refused to defend federal laws that defined marriage as the union of one man and one woman. He refused to enforce certain immigration laws. He has repeatedly changed or delayed Obamacare without congressional authorization, and he made recess appointments when the Senate was not in recess.
As we have reported, Republicans have on occasion turned to the courts and have had some success against these abuses of power. But the process is painfully slow. An issue can be rendered moot before the courts act. Gowdy's legislation would expedite such congressional challenges.
It's not just conservative Republicans who have issues with Obama's overreach. Left-wing law professor Jonathan Turley recently testified before Congress that Obama's abuse of executive power has brought the country to a "constitutional tipping point." Last week he published an op-ed warning against Obama's "power grab."
Not surprisingly, Obama threatened to veto Rep. Gowdy's bill. After all, he likes doing whatever he wants. (Gary Bauer)
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Catholic Benefits Association Sues Administration Over HHS Mandate
A Catholic company representing nearly 200 employers nationwide filed a lawsuit on Wednesday challenging a government mandate. It requires most businesses and nonprofits to offer potential abortion-inducing drugs and contraceptives in employee health plans.
The Catholic Benefits Association (CBA), headquartered in Oklahoma City, represents about 19,000 employees. The association serves both business and nonprofits. The complaint asks a federal court to protect the association's member employers by letting them opt out of such coverage.
Paul S. Coakley, archbishop of Oklahoma City, said Catholics cannot "in good conscience" provide insurance that covers such drugs. (CitizenLink) Read more.
Signs and Wonders
Signs and Wonders:
Departing sunspot AR1996 erupted on March 12th at 2234 UT, producing an M9-category blast that almost crossed into X-territory. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory captured the extreme ultra-violet flash. (SpaceWeather.com) Read more here.
"And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near."
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
"Draw Near" by Jeremy Riddle (Bethel Music)