Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief
"Praying for All in Authority"
Thursday, March 20, 2014
"He has brought me to his banquet hall, And his banner over me is love."
(Song of Solomon 2:4)
Please visit the website for the International Christian Concern to find ongoing needs for prayer among the persecuted around the world. Thank you.
The Daily Brief
1. Australian PM says 2 objects possibly found in search for Malaysian jet - Fox News
Australia's prime minister said Thursday two objects possibly related to the missing Malaysia Airlines flight have been spotted on satellite imagery and an air force aircraft was diverted to the area to try to locate them.
The Orion aircraft was expected to arrive in the area Thursday afternoon, Prime Minister Tony Abott told Parliament in Canberra. Three additional aircraft are expected to follow for a more intensive search, he said. (Read more)
- We continue to stand on the truth of God's word. It is written: "He reveals the deep things of darkness and brings utter darkness into the light." (Job 12:22)
2. Putin redraws map of Europe - EU Observer
Russian leader Vladimir Putin on Tuesday (18 March) signed a treaty making Ukraine's Crimea region part of Russia, shortly before the Russia-Ukraine confrontation claimed its first casualty. He justified the step in a long speech to MPs which described the Black Sea peninsula - signed over by the USSR to Ukraine in 1954 - as quintessentially Russian in cultural and historical terms. (Read more)
- To gain a greater perspective of this action, please see the article by Joel Rosenberg, reprinted elsewhere in this alert. Lift up the leaders of the nations . . . may they recall the actions of Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany, and may we all say: NEVER AGAIN!
- "A wise man is cautious and turns away from evil, But a fool is arrogant and careless." (Proverbs 14:16)
3. Russian and Crimean parliaments sign treaty of accession - Washington Post
Russia effectively absorbed Crimea Tuesday afternoon, moments after President Vladimir Putin declared that Russia has no designs on any other parts of Ukraine. (Read more)
- Once again, this entire episode is following the model set out in 1938 by Adolf Hitler, when he simply marched in and annexed the nation of Austria, after a sham referendum was held. Pray for the people of Crimea today; may God's mercy yet rest upon them as they begin to experience the boot of tyranny of "mother Russia." Amen.
- " . . . truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven." (Matthew 18:19)
4. Ukraine 'will never accept' Crimea annexation, President says - CNN
Western powers slapped sanctions on more than two dozen Russian officials and their allies in Ukraine's Crimea region on Monday, while Ukrainian officials vowed they would never accept the territory's annexation by Russia. (Read more)
- Even as this bold statement was being made by the new president of Ukraine, it was announced today that the Ukrainian troops have begun quietly pulling out of Crimea. Again, we lift up the people of Crimea -- in particular, those who are not of Russian descent or who are Jews -- asking for divine protection for them.
Abba, Father, we once again appeal to the High Court of Heaven on behalf of the people of Crimea. Lord God, would you please send Your heavenly army of angelic warriors to protect those on the ground, now that "man's troops" are leaving? We do ask this in Jesus Name, amen.
- Please pray all of Psalm 91 over Crimea today.
5. US orders closure of Syrian Embassy in Washington - Washington Post
The State Department on Tuesday announced the official closing of the Syrian Embassy in Washington and said that Syrian diplomats there and in consulates elsewhere in the United States must leave by the end of this month. (Read more)
- Lord God, this is a serious signal of tension between the nation of Syria and our own. We continue to pray in the Spirit, and we repent of any actions the Obama administration may be taking to topple another of the kings of the Middle East, in this failed "Arab spring." Help us, O Lord, we pray, amen.
- "Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth. Serve the Lord with fear and celebrate his rule with trembling. Kiss his son, or he will be angry and your way will lead to your destruction, for his wrath can flare up in a moment. Blessed are all who take refuge in him." (Psalm 2:10-12)
6. Obama White House Quietly Amended Rules Regarding the Freedom of Information Act: Report - The Blaze
In a move that went little noticed in 2009, the White House quietly amended portions of the Freedom of Information Act, making it more difficult for Americans to request public documents for review. Craig instructed the executive branch to let Obama administration officials review all documents sought under FOIA requests to determine if said documents involved "White House equities." (Read more)
- Tyranny . . . tyranny . . . tyranny . . . and one more reason for God's people in our land to come before Him with weeping, fasting, and acts of repentance. Mark your calendars now, and join us on April 30th on the Day of Repentance, to humble ourselves before the Mighty Hand of God, that He might lift us up. In His Name, amen.
- " . . . if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land." (2 Chronicles 7:14)
7. 4.4 earthquake near L.A. could be 'foreshock' for bigger shake - LA Times
"Always the possibility that it's a foreshock," Graves said, adding that about 5% of earthquakes are followed by an equal or larger shake and that if it does happen, it would occur within the next several hours.
Robert Graves said there have been at least six aftershocks since the 6:25 a.m. earthquake. The largest so far has been a magnitude 2.7 earthquake that struck five miles northwest of Westwood. (Read more)
- We know that friends -- and family members -- in the State of California are well prepared with material goods should they be caught in an earthquake. But are they -- or we -- prepared in our Spirits?
Come before our Lord, in truth, asking Him to help us search our own hearts for known and unknown areas of sin -- that which keeps us from the knowledge of His presence in our lives -- and offer prayers of repentance. Pray, too, for the citizens of the State of California: may each be found ready, both in Spirit and on earth, to survive that which may be on the horizon for them. Pray!
- "Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time." (I Peter 5:6)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. " (Psalm 23:1)
1. Netanyahu: Syrian border is our new challenge - Jerusalem Post
Hezbollah and global Jihadist operatives have recently poured into the Israeli-Syrian border on the Golan Heights, presenting Israel with new challenges, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said. "Over the last few years we have succeeded in maintaining the quiet amid the civil war in Syria," he said, adding that Israel would act aggressively to ensure Israel's security.
2. 'Mystified' US slams Israeli defense minister Ya'alon's criticism of Obama - Jerusalem Post
The United States is using unprecedented language to condemn Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon after criticism of US President Barack Obama, and his foreign policy team. "We were shocked by Moshe Ya'alon's comments . . .Moreover, this is part of a disturbing pattern in which the Defense Minister disparages the US Administration, and insults its most senior officials."
3. After Israel bombs Syria, Netanyahu vows: 'We strike those who strike us' - Jerusalem Post
It is periodically necessary for Israel to take "aggressive action" so that the quiet in the north will be maintained, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said Wednesday just hours after the IAF hit targets in Syria in response to Tuesday's attack on an IDF jeep on the Golan Heights. Netanyahu said that the targets hit belonged to Syrian elements who not only allowed the attack to take place, but assisted in it.
The Daily Jot
The prophetic significance of Russia in Ukraine
There has been a lot of chatter lately pointing toward Russia's occupation of Crimea and the possible invasion of Ukraine. Some are saying that this is the beginning of a prophetic move that will ultimately culminate in the colossal end time battle where Russia leads an invasion of Israel accompanied by Iran, Libya, Sudan and a host of other nations hostile to Israel. They point to verses in Ezekiel 38 and 39 to justify their position. They teach that Russia, with Moscow directly North of Israel, is the specific nation that begins the end in this apocalyptic battle. There are a lot of "theories" forwarded by learned men and women about these verses and Russia. But what the does the Bible really say about Russia?
Nothing. I am sure that that single word is now raising a lot blood pressures across The Daily Jot readership. But before you push the unsubscribe button and call me a heretic, please indulge me just a little longer. The venerable King James Version of the Bible says this in Ezekiel 38:2-3: "Son of man, set thy face against Gog, the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him, And say, Thus says the Lord God; Behold, I am against thee, O Gog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal." So where is Russia in this? Some Bible scholars believe the Hebrew word "Rosh" means "Russia." In reality, the word "Rosh" has always meant "Chief" or "Head"--never "Russia."
Using the "Complete Jewish Bible" translation, which took the Hebrew and directly translated it to English, these verses read: "Human being, turn your face toward Gog (of the land of Magog), chief prince of Meshekh and Tuval...I am against you Gog, chief prince of Meshekh and Tuval." If this word "Rosh" meant "Russia," the verses would read, "I am against you Gog, Russia prince of Meshekh and Tuval." This makes no sense. Another verse, Ezekiel 38:15 says, "And thou shalt come from thy place out of the North parts..." Because Moscow is directly North of Israel, these theorists use this verse to justify Russia as the leader of this deadly coalition. But they are overlooking a tiny geographical and historical fact.
Directly North of Israel, on the way to Moscow, is Turkey. Historically, the regions spoken of in Ezekiel--Magog, Meshech and Tubal--are located on the ancient maps of the former Assyrian Empire, now in Turkey. In fact, the Biblical references to the "antichrist" are "the Assyrian"--that's another study. There is no doubt that Russia (formerly the Soviet Union) has played a prophetic role in opposing Israel. Russia supplied the weaponry for the Arab nations against Israel in 1948, 1967, and 1973. Russia also supplies weapons to the terrorists attacking Israel today; technology and expertise for Iran's nuclear program, and on and on. No doubt this will continue. Russia is an instigator, a supplier, a political force against Israel, but it is not Gog or Magog. And more events must align before the Ezekiel 38 prophecy is fulfilled.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Joel Rosenberg on Crimea
Joel Rosenberg on Crimea: Is History Repeating Itself?
(Washington, D.C.) -- When I set out to write The Auschwitz Escape, I was eager to portray the drama of the greatest escape in human history -- from a Nazi death camp in Poland.
But I was also a bit anxious because I usually write political thrillers about events that could happen in the future, not historical fiction inspired by events that happened in the past.
Yet on the very day of the novel's nationwide release, it's hard not to sense history is repeating itself: A dictator is rising to Europe. He smells Western weakness. He is sending troops into other countries. He is seizing land. He is claiming it as his own, and he is daring anyone to stop him.
"Unfortunately instead of de-escalation we have [the] Anschluss of Crimea, which cannot be left without a response," Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski said at a meeting of foreign ministers in Brussels on Monday.
Tragically, he is right -- even The Moscow Times is calling Putin's moves an "Anschluss."
On March 13, 1938 -- exactly seventy-six years ago this week -- German dictator Adolf Hitler annexed Austria after sending Nazi military forces in to invade the country.
To give the illegal action a veneer of respectability, Hitler ordered a national referendum in Austria, and on April 10th, Austrians approved Hitler's "Anschluss" (annexation) with a vote of 99.7% in favor.
Now, Russian dictator Vladimir Putin has successfully launched his own "Anschluss" of Crimea. He sent Russian military forces in to invade the country. Then he orchestrated a national referendum in the southern Ukrainian region, and got a vote of nearly 97% in favor.
Today, in a speech in Moscow, Putin formally announced the annexation of Crimea in a major address to the Russian parliament.
The problem is that so far there has been no serious response to Putin's moves. Nor was there when he invaded Georgia in 2008. Nor was there when he sold arms and nuclear technology to the terrorist regime of Iran. Or when he sold arms to the bloodthirsty regime of Bashar Assad amidst the horrific war Assad is waging in Syria that has forced 42% of the Syrian people to flee their homes and has left more than 140,000 people dead.
Have we really forgotten the lessons of Hitler and the Holocaust so quickly?
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Science Confirms The Bible
So much of academia and the media relish every opportunity to pit science against faith. For example, there is a story on the front page of today's Washington Post purporting to support the Big Bang theory. Here's an excerpt:
"In the beginning, the universe got very big very fast, transforming itself in a fraction of an instant from something almost infinitesimally small to something imponderably vast. This is the premise of an idea called cosmic inflation -- a powerful twist on the big-bang theory -- and Monday it received a major boost from an experiment at the South Pole. A team of astronomers announced that it had detected ripples from gravitational waves created in a violent inflationary event at the dawn of time."
Genesis makes it clear that the universe was indeed created in an instant: "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. And God said, 'Let there be light,' and there was light."
But scientists who may have never opened the Bible are pleased to announce that they believe they have evidence that creation happened in an instant. (Gary Bauer; End-of-Day; Wed., March 18, 2014)
Signs and Wonders
Icelandic volcano Hekla is starting to 'bulge' with magma amid fears
major eruption could happen within days and hit air travel
Hekla volcano, one of Iceland's most active volcanoes, is on the verge of a major eruption that could impact air travel, experts have warned. A University of Iceland geoscientist believes a 'bulge' on the northern sign of the volcano is caused by huge deposits of magma rising.
University of Iceland geophysicist Pll Einarsson said in a report published in the Icelandic newspaper Morgunblai on Monday that according to GPS monitoring of the expanding surface, there is now more magma underneath Hekla than before the volcano's last eruption in 2000. Hekla volcano 'could erupt soon,' Einarsson said.
The last eruption at Hekla started on Feb. 26, 2000, and lasted for nearly two weeks. Then, it took just 79 minutes from the first warning earthquake until the volcano exploded, Einarsson said.
The most prominent sign of an impending eruption is bulging ground on the northern side of the volcano. This surface swelling indicates magma (molten rock) is rising under the volcano, pushing up the ground as it fills fractures and pipes beneath Hekla.
In 2010 the eruption of Iceland's Eyjafjallajökull volcano hampered air travel due to the ash and gas it has spewed into the atmosphere, and there are fears another eruption could cause the same issues. (Daily Mail UK)
Read more here.
Note: the link takes you to the article, including stunning photos of the last eruption by the Hekla volcano