Please see our Good News Section
to watch a replay of the weekend's
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Tuesday, October 22, 2013
Praying the Word of God . . .
in the Will of God . . .
over the Issues of the Day
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
"If God be for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31)
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting that your name be added to our list of subscribers.
VISIT OUR BLOG!
CHPP's blog includes archives of past editions of all of our alerts, as well as features on praying for the government, Israel, and other key issues.
Come visit us by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. Liberals Call for Arrest of House GOP for Sedition - Eagle Rising
No, this is not a joke. After five plus years of illegal and immoral activity from the most corrupt administration since the Grant administration, liberals want to see Republicans arrested and tried for sedition because they stood against Obamacare and raised the debt ceiling during the budget battle. (Read more)
- It is always the way of the enemy to turn everything inside out and upside down. Thank our Lord that He has already forgiven these foolish people from the Cross, and pray for their salvation. In Yeshua is our only hope of knowing the truth . . . the truth that will set these people free.
- "Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter." (Isaiah 5:20)
2. Obama Shills for Obamacare: 'The Product Is Good,' Call Now! - CNSNews.com
President Obama, the chief pitchman for the health care law that informally bears his name, urged Americans to bypass the problem-plagued healthcare.gov website on Monday. He recited a toll free number -- twice -- in a Rose Garden speech. . . "The point is, the call centers are available, you can talk to somebody directly, and they can walk you through the application process." (Read more)
- If only life, and Obamacare, were this simple! Pray for the many citizens who are trying to access this system; may they instead find another way to take care of their health insurance needs. And offer praise to the Lord for the members of Congress who have begun to hold hearings on why Obamacare is such a disaster. Pray!
- "And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive." (Matthew 21:22)
3. As Congressional Resistance Mounts, What's Next for the Arms Trade Treaty? - CNSNews.com
Half of the Senate and more than two-fifths of the members of the House of Representatives have advised the administration of their opposition to the global conventional arms trade treaty it signed last month, raising questions about its future implementation in the U.S., the world's largest arms exporter.
In a move largely overshadowed by the standoff over government funding and Obamacare, 50 senators sent a letter to President Obama on Tuesday, pledging not to consent to the U.N. Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) and urging him to notify its depository - the U.N. secretary-general - that the U.S. does not intend to ratify.
In order for a treaty to be ratified, no more than 33 senators can oppose it. (Read more)
- We are always grateful when we see Congress doing its job. Offer praise for this action, hidden as it was behind all the other breaking news last week. Continue to pray that our right to bear arms never be abrogated by any other enemy, foreign or domestic. In His Name, amen.
- Let the saints be joyful in glory;
Let them sing aloud on their beds.
Let the high praises of God be in their mouth,
And a two-edged sword in their hand,
To bind their kings with chains,
And their nobles with fetters of iron . . .
4. Navy's largest destroyer heading into the water in Maine - Fox News
So far, construction of the first-in-class Zumwalt, the largest U.S. Navy destroyer ever built, is on time and on budget, something that's a rarity in new defense programs, officials said. And the Navy believes the ship's big gun, stealthy silhouette and advance features will make it a formidable package. (Read more)
- Even as we are encouraged to see a strong military capability in place for our nation, we nevertheless repent of any attitude that would say "we can handle this." Instead, let us daily kneel before the Lord Most High and thank Him for this great nation He has given us to keep. Our strength is in the Lord.
- "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: 'Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the Lord." (Zechariah 4:6)
5. 'Unacceptable and shocking': France demands explanation for NSA spying - RT.com
France has called for an explanation for the "unacceptable" and "shocking" reports of NSA spying on French citizens. Leaked documents revealed the spy agency records millions of phone calls and monitors politicians and high-profile business people. The US Ambassador to France Charles Rivkin was summoned by the French Foreign Ministry to account for the espionage allegations on Monday morning. (Read more)
- More and more is now coming out about these actions on the part of the NSA. So much has already taken place; it will be nearly impossible to restore trust with other nations in light of these reports. Of course, other countries, too, are engaging in spying at the same time as we are. Only as we all trust in the Lord, both here in America and across the globe, can these relations be restored and healed. Could it be that we would all say, "Enough is enough" . . . bringing a new day in international relations? Pray it be so. Amen.
- "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28)
6. Pope Rejects Meeting with Bibi in Rome - AFP Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu will not be meeting with Pope Francis during his visit to Rome on Wednesday, a diplomatic source told AFP on Sunday. A statement last week from Netanyahu's office had said he would be "meeting Pope Francis next Wednesday at the Vatican" and with U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry for updates on nuclear talks with Iran and negotiations with the Palestinian Authority. (Read more)
- Father God, we thank You that You govern the affairs of men, and You especially govern the steps of kings. We see that it is not Your will to have P.M. Netanyahu meet Pope Francis at this time, and for that, we offer praise. In Your Name, amen.
- "The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord and he delights in his way." (Psalm 37:23)
7. Concerns as Israel Hit by Two Earthquakes in One Day - Israel National News
Israel experienced not one, but two earthquakes on Sunday, raising fears that a significant geological event was in the offing. Sunday's quakes followed one that occurred early Saturday morning, which was preceded by one last Thursday night. Eight days ago, an earthquake was felt in southern and central Israel, measuring at 6.4 on the Richter scale, with its epicenter beneath the Mediterranean about 40 kilometers under the sea bed, 70 kilometers west of Crete. (Read more)
- Friends in Israel have also advised us of two other earthquakes that have taken place at the same site last week, at about the same strength, making four quakes in four days. Pray for the authorities in Israel that they will be able to advise her citizens about "earthquake drills" and any other preparations that may have to be made. Thank You, Lord, that You always have Your eye upon Israel. In Your name, amen.
- ". . . indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep."
8. Egypt gunmen open fire on Coptic Christian wedding in Cairo - BBC
Three people, including a girl aged eight, died when gunmen on motorcycles opened fire on a wedding party outside a Coptic Christian church in Cairo. At least nine others were wounded in the attack in Giza, officials said. There was no immediate claim of responsibility. (See more details, below.) Read more.
- Oh, Lord . . . how can we ever cry out to You in the midst of this tragedy?? We can only ask You to comfort those who are in shock today in Cairo, after this slaughter. Father, we cry out with our brothers and sisters in Egypt, and we ask You to intervene and cause the evil of those who are responsible to STOP. We ask comfort for those who mourn, and forgiveness and salvation for the wicked. In Your Name, amen.
- "The wicked have drawn the sword And have bent their bow, To cast down the poor and needy, To slay those who are of upright conduct. Their sword shall enter their own heart, And their bows shall be broken." (Psalm 37:14,15)
9. Billy Graham sounds alarm for 2nd Coming - WorldNetDaily
Just as Noah did in ancient times, world-renowned evangelist Billy Graham is sounding the alarm that the Second Coming is "near" and signs of the end of the age are "converging now for the first time since Jesus made those predictions." Earlier this month, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told the United Nations General Assembly "biblical prophecies are being realized." "God keeps his promises, and this is why we can be sure that the return of Christ is near," Graham said. "Scripture tells us that there will be signs pointing toward the return of the Lord. I believe all these signs are evident today."
- Thank You, Lord, for Billy Graham. May His voice be heard across the land as he calls our people to repentance before You. We ask for a great outpouring of participation in November during the nationwide outreach being sponsored by the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association: "My Hope America." We ask in Your Name, amen.
- "This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come." (Matthew 24:14)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Lift up your heads, O you gates! And be lifted up, you everlasting doors! And the King of glory shall come in. Who is this King of glory? The Lord strong and mighty, the Lord mighty in battle. Lift up your heads, O you gates! Lift up, you everlasting doors! And the King of glory shall come in. Who is this King of glory? The Lord of hosts, He is the King of glory. Selah" (Psalm 24:7-10)
1. Report: Israel mulls destroying missiles transferred from Syria to Hezbollah in Lebanon - Jerusalem Post
Israel has information on the location of long-range missiles transferred from Syria to Hezbollah in Lebanon and is considering taking military action to destroy the weapons, Kuwaiti newspaper Al-Jarida reported on Friday.
2. Netanyahu: Iran, not Assad, is in power in Syria - Jerusalem Post
Iran -- not President Bashar Assad -- rules Syria, declared Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, as he warned the US against easing economic sanctions on Iran before it completely dismantled its nuclear weapons program.
3. Haniyeh urges 'popular uprising,' lauds recent terror attacks - Times of Israel
Gaza-based Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh called on Saturday for Palestinians to wage a "popular uprising" in the West Bank.
4. Fourth quake in as many days hits northern Israel - Times of Israel
For the second time Sunday, a minor earthquake shook northern Israel around 4 p.m., the fourth of its kind since Thursday.
5. 50 senators: UN Arms Trade Treaty could harm Israel - Times of Israel
A bipartisan group of 50 senators have warned US President Barack Obama that they will not ratify the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty signed last month by Secretary of State John Kerry. The lawmakers, who comprise half of the Senate, signed on to a letter this week that expressed concern that ratifying the treaty could limit America's ability to provide military aid to Israel.
6. Israel's Netanyahu: No 'halfway measures' on Iran sanctions - Washington Examiner
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned the U.S. on Sunday not to ease economic sanctions on Iran without ensuring the end of Iran's nuclear program, saying that Iran is "trying to get a partial deal that they know could end up dissolving the sanctions regime and would keep them with the nuclear weapons capability."
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"The righteous cry, and the LORD hears And delivers them out of all their troubles." (Psalm 34:17)
Egypt gunmen open fire on Coptic Christian wedding in Cairo - BBC
Three people, including a girl aged eight, died when gunmen on motorcycles opened fire on a wedding party outside a Coptic Christian church in Cairo. At least nine others were wounded in the attack in Giza, officials said. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
Egypt's Coptic Christian community has been targeted by some Islamists who accuse the Church of backing the army's overthrow of President Mohammed Morsi in July. The unidentified attackers fired indiscriminately as people left the church.
A man and a girl were killed outside the church and a woman died on her way to hospital. "We heard a very loud sound as if something was collapsing," one eyewitness said. "I found a woman seated in a chair with lots of bullet wounds, covered in blood. Many other people had fallen around her, including a child," he added.
Coptic priest Thomas Daoud Ibrahim said he was inside the church when the gunfire erupted. "What happened is an insult to Egypt, and it's not only directed against Coptic Christians. We are destroying our own country," he said.
Another priest, Beshay Lotfi, told Egyptian media that the church had been left without a police guard since the end of June.
The Coptic Orthodox Church is one of Christianity's oldest, founded in Alexandria around 50 AD. Christians make up about 10% of Egypt's population of 80 million, and have generally coexisted peacefully with majority Sunni Muslims for centuries.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
Obama Forced To Defend Obamacare
Obama Forced To Defend Obamacare
Three weeks in and with no end in sight, President Obama was finally forced to address Obamacare's disastrous rollout. Of course, he delivered yet another speech defending his signature initiative. And, as he has routinely done for the past five years, he avoided taking any questions from the press.
Consumer Reports is warning its readers to avoid the Obamacare site "for at least another month." Obama condemned the "glitches" and "kinks" as inexcusable, and vowed that experts from the best tech companies in America were being called in for a "tech surge" to fix the site.
Why weren't these people called in to begin with? What did we pay $600 million for? That money should have paid for a lot of technical experts!
Ironically, a young woman fell ill and nearly fainted during Obama's speech about health care. No doubt a lot of Americans felt the same way after learning that their current policies were being cancelled and new ones would cost significantly more.
By the way, why can't the liberal media find any victims of Obamacare? NBC News was still interviewing "victims" of the government shutdown on its evening news broadcast last night. Talk radio shows are filled with angry people calling in and complaining about losing their current policies and facing massive premium increases. But Big Media acts like these folks don't exist.
Not surprisingly, Obama took another shot at Obamacare's conservative critics during his remarks today, suggesting that they were more interested in denying people healthcare. Obama's chutzpah is breathtaking!
This has been Obama's modus operandi for five years. Obama causes problems in Washington then condemns Washington because it has problems. He promises bipartisanship but then does everything possible to make bipartisan cooperation impossible. Now the program that he conceived and built with no-bid contracts isn't working, and Obama demonizes conservatives for suggesting it should be delayed because it isn't ready! (Gary Bauer)
The Daily Jot
Propaganda is defined as "chiefly derogatory information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view." In America, propaganda was always supposed be properly identified. For example, the news media's freedom is expressly guaranteed by the First Amendment of the Constitution. This freedom is supposed to be used to expose government propaganda with truth and hold the government accountable. When the news media largely just takes what the government says as fact and supports the point of view of big government, it causes government and politicians to be far less accountable and far more powerful.
When I was in Journalism school, we did a lot of analyzing of news stories to be able to recognize bias. Back then, we used Pravda and Tass--the official "news" outlets of the Communist Party in the Soviet Union. They were the most clever propagandists of the time. For example, one story was about an international race between a Russian and an American. The America won the race by quite a distance. The headline in the Communist papers went like this: "Russia second, American next to last in international race." You see how truth can be distorted by propaganda. The government has its own point of view and its own propaganda. Unlike the Soviet Union, America's media was and is free to report the truth.
When a society drifts away from God, it also has no bearing of truth. Some of the most godless people are in the highest places of both government and media. They believe truth is relative and that the ends justifies the means. Without God, there can be no truth. Jesus said in John 14:6, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes unto the Father, but by me." Without Jesus it is extremely difficult to even discern truth because he is the truth. Paul writes in 2 Corinthians 4:3,4, "But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world has blinded the minds of them which believe not . . ." Jesus also said in Matthew 24:4, "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Herein is a two-fold problem. Americans are being fed deception by the news media which by and large cannot know truth because it has no foundation in Christ. Therefore, good citizenship as Americans requires that we do not believe what we hear from the media and seek the truth on our own. Moreover, we are called by Christ to make disciples. Romans 10:13,14 says, "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?" We as Christians must do a better job in making disciples, otherwise the truth will never be known.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
CPC Foundation Weekly Update: Part One
Congressional Prayer Caucus Weekly Update
1. Tens of Thousands of StudentsTurn Out for 'Field of Faith' Events Nationwide
"Thousands of students gathered at athletic fields across the country on Wednesday for Fields of Faith, an annual event developed by Fellowship of Christian Athletes that encourages students to engage with the Bible and follow Jesus Christ." (Christian Post) Read more.
2. Supreme Court Term Touches on Prayer, Religious Liberty
"The 2013-2014 Supreme Court term, which began Oct. 7, will address several prominent issues in the public square, including freedom of speech for pro-life demonstrations, prayer in legislative settings, and religious freedom." (Catholic News Agency) Read more.
3. As Shutdown Ends, ENDA Up for Senate Vote
Opposing View: "Tico Almeida, founder and president of Freedom to Work, who previously served as ENDA's lead counsel in the U.S. House of Representatives, released the following statement:
'It's long past time for Congress to pass workplace protections for LGBT Americans. We've lobbied every target Republican office, discussed ENDA's strong protections for religious freedom, and we're confident we have more than 60 votes to move this legislation forward.'" (Echelon Magazine) Read more.
4. Mass Appeal: Catholics Wins Shutdown Fight
"Federal officials had forbidden the Catholic services - even on a volunteer basis - because of the partial shutdown of the federal government that started Oct. 1." (WorldNetDaily) Read more.
President Obama boasted last week that he had signed legislation to lift "the twin threats" to our economy of government shutdown and default. But what was done to fix the problem of growing debt that leads Washington to repeatedly raise the debt ceiling?
Nothing. In fact, by Friday, the U.S. debt had rocketed past $17 trillion.
What does this mean?
- At $17 trillion, this number has passed total U.S. gross domestic product (GDP), the measure of all that is produced in the economy.
- Since Obama took office, the national debt has increased from about $10.6 trillion to more than $17 trillion-a 60 percent increase.
How quickly Obama changed his tune when he transitioned from Senator to President. Here's what he said just a few years ago:
"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can't pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies." (Senator Barack Obama, March 16, 2006)
And his partner in debt, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV), argued mightily against what he now champions-when a different Administration was in office.
"Today the Senate is considering a bill to increase the Nation's debt by $781 billion. If adopted, it would be the fourth such increase in the 5 years this administration has been in office. I will be opposing this latest request, and I hope that people on both sides of the aisle will do the same." (Senator Harry Reid, March 16, 2006)
History shows us that those in power will always face the temptation of funding their pet projects and initiatives. Meanwhile, entitlement spending-the key driver of spending and debt-remains unaddressed.
To fix these problems, a responsible constituency needs to consistently hold elected representatives accountable and limit their spending. (The Heritage Foundation) Read more here.
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Watch the Replay of National Day of Prayer - PrayerCast
Every year the National Day of Prayer has a conference for all states to attend with the best speakers in the nation. To hear Franklin Graham, David Jeremiah, Ravi Zacharius, and others speak directly to you about prayer, watch the replay here.
"The Lord wants His people to rise up, after prayer and take this country back. It's not too late. He has blessed this nation in so many ways and we can't let Him down."
[Reported by: The Congressional Prayer Caucus Foundation]
Worship With Us Today!
A Night of Praise
with Travis Cottrell
"What happens when four area church choirs and orchestra combine? One incredible night of worship. Sevier Heights hosted a "Night of Worship" with Travis Cottrell along with First Baptist Church Concord, Grace Baptist, Wallace Memorial Baptist and Sevier Heights Baptist choir and orchestras."
Praise Him with these four choirs by going here.
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are! Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!