Please lift up the members of the 113th Session of Congress as they are sworn into office tomorrow.
Note, too, our own new features today: the Persecuted Church and Praying in the Harvest. Bless you!
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Wednesday, January 2, 2012
"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland." (Isaiah 43:18,19)
The Daily Brief
1. House Passes 'Fiscal Cliff' Deal; Increases Spending $332B; Hikes Taxes - CNS News
The House of Representatives late Tuesday night voted 257 to 167 to approve a "fiscal cliff" deal that had been negotiated by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R.-Ky.) and Vice President Joe Biden and approved by the Senate in the wee hours of Tuesday morning.
- Pray in the Spirit over all matters related to this massive, cumbersome bill. The press has also reported that Obama will not sign this into law until he returns from his vacation in Hawaii next week. We find this news to be puzzling, at the least. Pray that every legal action related to this bill will be carried out according to the strictest letter of the law and that, in the end, the American people will not suffer too greatly from this legislation.
- "Pray without ceasing . . ." (I Thess. 5:17)
2. Most GOPers Opposed; Boehner: Yes, Cantor: No - CNS News
The majority of House Republicans voted against the bill, with 151 opposing it, 85 supporting it, and 5 not voting. House Speaker John Boehner voted for the bill. House Majority Leader Eric Cantor voted against it.
- This vote on the "fiscal cliff" has clearly divided the Republican membership in the House of Representatives. Pray for healing of all divisions as the new Congress is to be sworn in tomorrow: Thursday, Jan. 3, 2013.
- "A kingdom divided against itself will not stand." (Mark 3:24)
3. House members to Boehner: 'Shame on you' for not holding Sandy vote - The Hill
Republicans and Democrats in the House blasted Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) late Tuesday night for deciding against holding any vote on a Hurricane Sandy supplemental aid bill before the end of the 112th Congress.
- Please pray that the new Congress will put this item at the TOP of their list for passage as they convene in the House chamber tomorrow. Thousands are still suffering from the impact of Sandy; help must be on the way now!
- "Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act." (Proverbs 3:27)
4. CBO: 'Fiscal cliff' deal carries $4 trillion price tag over next decade - The Hill
The Senate deal to avoid the "fiscal cliff" will add roughly $4 trillion to the deficit when compared to current law, according to new numbers from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO).
- Father God, now that this vote has been taken and this "deal" passed, we know not what to do, but to turn to You for help in time of need. We ask that somehow, over time, these tax rates can be reduced, and spending cuts be set in place, so that this debt load will be lifted off our shoulders. We come to You as the God of miracles, and we ask this In Jesus' Name, amen.
- "Let us build these cities, and make about them walls, and towers, gates, and bars, while the land is yet before us; because we have sought the Lord our God, we have sought Him, and He has given us rest on every side." (II Chronicles 14:7)
5. Guns, immigration, fiscal issues emerge as top priorities for Obama, new Congress - Fox News
After an election year in which legislative business practically ground to a halt, Congress is poised to make up for lost time in 2013. The new Congress will begin its next session with an agenda expected to focus largely on issues that re-emerged over the past several weeks and months, with gun legislation and immigration reform near the top. (Read more)
- Lift up the agenda for the 113th Session of Congress in prayer, asking that only God's will be done during the next two years when it is in session. Ask that each member, from both parties, be granted His wisdom in every vote taken on the floor of each chamber. In Jesus' Name, amen.
- "In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps." (Proverbs 16:9)
6. Senate committee report on Benghazi terrorist attack faults State Department - Fox News
A scathing Senate committee report on the Benghazi terrorist attack faults the State Department for failing to adequately respond to mounting security threats in the lead-up to the assault. The report says the facility was woefully under-protected at a time when the region, according to a top department official, was "flashing red" -- yet security was not improved, and nobody recommended the compound be shut down.
- Father in heaven, look down upon those in the State Department who were in charge and who gathered themselves together against the souls of the victims, and who are guilty of shedding innocent blood and have polluted the land. They are defiled with their own works and we pray that justice will prevail and they be charged for the crime they have committed. In Jesus' Name.
- "These things does the Lord hate: a proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood." (Proverbs 6:17) "Their feet run to evil, and they make haste to shed innocent blood: their thoughts are thoughts of iniquity; wasting and destruction are in their paths." (Isaiah 59:7)
7. Same-sex marriage ceremonies begin in Maryland - AP
Same-sex couples in Maryland were greeted with cheers and noisemakers held over from New Year's Eve parties, as gay marriage became legal in the first state south of the Mason-Dixon Line on New Year's Day.
- Father, we plead the blood of Jesus over the entire State of Maryland, and ask that this be the cleansing agent by which our God will take down condoning same-sex marriages. Open the eyes of the blind and cleanse the hearts of the people, so they will not be pulled down by the lies of the enemy to give themselves to this evil practice. Deal with all those who condone this and cause it to crumble and fall. In Jesus' Name.
- "Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lust of their own hearts, to dishonor their own bodies between themselves . . ." (Romans 1:24) [See also vv. 25 -27)
8. Obama Administration: We Can and Will Force Christians to Act Against Their Faith - CNS News
In a legal argument formally presented in federal court in the case of Hobby Lobby v. Kathleen Sebelius, the Obama administration is claiming that the First Amendment --which expressly denies the government the authority to prohibit the "free exercise of religion -- nonetheless allows it to force Christians to directly violate their religious beliefs even on a matter that involves the life and death of innocent human beings.
- Father, we pray that You will bind all lawlessness that is happening in our government. God, set up a standard against those who continually break the laws of the land, and even attempt to coerce Christians to act against what is written in the Bible, the Word of God. The Christians have the spirit of Christ in them and they are stronger and more powerful in their "faith" than the opposition can conceive with their finite minds. All heaven is behind them and it is their God who will fight for them. In the Name of Jesus Christ.
- "When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord shall lift up a standard against him." (Isaiah 59:19)
"And He was clothed with the vesture dipped in blood: and His Name is called THE WORD OF GOD." (Revelation 19:13)
9. Sandy Hook students, teachers to head back to school- Fox News
Classes are starting Thursday at a repurposed school in the neighboring town of Monroe, where the students' desks have been taken along with backpacks and other belongings that were left behind in the chaos following the shooting on Dec. 14. Families have been coming in to see the new school, and an open house is scheduled for Wednesday.
Teachers will try to make it as normal a school day as possible for the children, schools Superintendent Janet Robinson said. "We want to get back to teaching and learning," she said. "We will obviously take time out from the academics for any conversations that need to take place, and there will be a lot of support there. All in all, we want the kids to reconnect with their friends and classroom teachers, and I think that's going to be the healthiest thing." (Read more)
- Pray for continued healing from the intense trauma that was Sandy Hook. May these precious little ones find a friendly and a safe home in their new environment, and may they always now be kept safe from harm.
- "Comfort ye, comfort ye, My people, saith the Lord." (Isaiah 40:1)
10. Iran warns foreign planes near Strait of Hormuz - AP
Iran's navy issued dozens of warnings to foreign planes and warships that approached its forces during a five-day sea maneuver near the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a semi-official news agency reported Tuesday.
- Father, we thank You for dispatching many countries to send their planes and warships to hold back Iran from overstepping its boundaries and causing world-wide chaos and disaster. Send angels to stand in the middle of this five-day sea maneuver and pull down all evil intentions that Iran has. Call down any war efforts or incitement that would forge an unholy alliance between nations. Only God's will be done. In Jesus' Name.
-"O let the nations be glad and sing for joy: for God shall judge the people righteously, and govern the nations upon earth. (Psalm 67:4)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Not unto us, O LORD, not unto us, but unto Your name give glory, for Your mercy, and for Your truth's sake. Why should the nations say, Where is their God? But our God is in the heavens. He has done whatever He has pleased." (Psalm 115:1-3)
1. Palestinians will outnumber Jews between the river and the sea by 2020, PA report says - Times of Israel
There will be an equal number of Palestinians and Jews in Israel, the West Bank and Gaza Strip by 2016 and by 2020 Jews will be a minority in the area, the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics said on Tuesday.
2. Israeli-Palestinian clashes erupt in West Bank - AP
An arrest raid by undercover Israeli soldiers disguised as vegetable vendors ignited rare clashes in the northern West Bank on Tuesday, residents said, leaving at 10 Palestinians wounded.
3. Netanyahu: We're building a digital Iron Dome - Jerusalem Post
Israel is building a "digital Iron Dome," Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said at the opening ceremony of a new national program to train young people for cyberwarfare Tuesday.
4. Citing Biblical precedent, Netanyahu cautions against 'rushed' peace agreement - Times of Israel
Israel should not rush into a peace agreement with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, as the Hamas terror group could take over the West Bank, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Tuesday.
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"Oh, let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end, but establish the just; for the righteous God tests the hearts and minds." (Psalm 7:9)
1. 13 Crushed To Death At Evangelism Vigil In Angola
Up to 13 people were crushed to death and some 120 injured as they tried to enter an overcrowded stadium for an evangelism gathering of a Pentecostal church in Angola's capital Luanda, officials confirmed late Tuesday, January 1.
2. Bomb kills two in Libyan church
Egypt's Foreign Ministry reported that an explosion at a Coptic church in Misrata, Libya, killed two Egyptian citizens and wounded two others Sunday during preparations for New Year's Eve mass.
3. Eritrea, Africa's 'North Korea'
Because of its repressive policies, Eritrea has been dubbed the "North Korea of Africa": currently more than 2,000 Christians are believed to be imprisoned there for their faith. Read more.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, go to:
www.persecution.com (The Voice of the Martyrs)
Join The Persecution Watch!
Blaine Scogin is sponsoring conference calls several nights each week, to lift up specific prayer needs for those who are under persecution, worldwide.
You are welcome to join Blaine and his team by contacting him anytime at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Daily Jot
The prophetic journey--2013
Of the thousands of folks who receive The Daily Jot there is great diversity of opinion about how their Christianity should be played out. You are reading this because you do care about your walk with Christ, your relationship with YHVH God. I believe you are reading The Daily Jot because you care about others' souls. And I believe you are reading The Daily Jot because you want to have greater understanding of the times from a Biblical worldview. 2012 was a landmark year in that our nation, its morals, its people, its government, deteriorated in many prophetic ways--it was landmark in that political leadership became prophetically active in supporting the very enemies of God in their quest to build worldwide dominion.
We as a Christian people are going to have to decide. Perhaps that decision is already made. I hope not. But we are going to have to decide what role we are to play in this prophetic end time. We are being led headlong into supporting evil with our tax money, with our integration into society, in almost all aspects of our life. By going along with it, we are supporting it. Now I know that this will spark internal debate, and many will be angry saying that they do not support the anti-God agenda of this dark and dying world. But phone calls, letters, emails, prayers amiss, wailing, declaring, are not getting the job done. Things are getting worse, not better. So we must determine where we stand in all of this.
First, I would encourage all Daily Jot readers to do a personal study on the end times using only the Bible that you might know exactly what we are dealing with. Do not use what teachers have taught or the latest commentary from your favorite preacher. Read and study the end times in the context of the Bible. You will find that from Genesis to Revelation that the Bible points to the return of Yeshua Ha Mashiach, Jesus Christ, and all that will occur when he returns. If you truly understand the end times from a contextual Biblical perspective--not various theories of what the latest televangelist or hot author has to say--you will know more precisely what we are facing and what to do about it.
Nehemiah tells how he led in rebuilding the wall around Jerusalem. It wasn't easy. Nehemiah 4:8-9 says, "And conspired all of them together to come and to fight against Jerusalem, and to hinder it. Nevertheless we made our prayer unto our God, and set a watch against them day and night, because of them." Verse 17 says, "...every one with one of his hands wrought in the work, and with the other hand held a weapon." Even after the wall was rebuilt, there was conspiracy and internal fighting. Our path forward as Christians is not going to be an easy one. We have to understand this and be prepared for it. Determining a righteous place in our prophetic destiny may take repentance, prayer, action with one hand, and defending our work and our lives with the other.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner
Imprisoned Pastor Writes Sandy Hook Parents
"In the hope of that glorious day . . ." - Farshid Fathi
(Tehran, Iran) - Imprisoned Iranian Christian Pastor Farshid Fathi, suffering for his faith in Tehran's notorious Evin prison, has sent a letter to the Sandy Hook parents who have lost their children. According to Elam Ministries, on hearing the news of the shootings, Farshid forgot about his own pain of being separated from his children, Rosanna (9) and Bardia (3) to reach out to the Sandy Hook parents.
Farshid is an Iranian pastor who is serving a six-year prison term. He was arrested in December 2010 for his Christian ministry work, but the authorities have deliberately cast his activities as political offences.
The letter expresses his sorrow and speaks of the hope of Heaven.
"To the fathers and mothers who lost their precious children in the Connecticut tragedy,
"I really don't know what word in the world could comfort you, what relief could be helpful for your broken heart, and which hand could clean the tears which fall from your cheeks. I just want to say: I am so sorry and you are in my prayers.
"I am sure these high walls cannot stop my prayers for you. Before this tragedy happened, I was thinking about my suffering that I'm going through because of my Lord Jesus Christ, especially being far from my lovely kids. But when I imagine how hard your pain is I forget my sufferings. Because I know by God's grace I will see my kids at the latest in 2017 when I come out from prison. But unfortunately you have to wait a bit longer. So I would like to express my deepest sorrow for your loss.
"I believe we will have enough time in Heaven with our lovely children forever. There is no gun there, there is no prison, and there is no pain."
Farshid signs his letter, "In the hope of that glorious day. Your Brother in Christ from prison in Iran."
(Source: Assist News Service) Read more and go here to see a photo of Pastor Farshad Fathi.
[Reported by: Breaking Christian News]>>> Editor's Note: As we begin to lift up the Persecuted Church all this year, let's start by praying for Pastor Farshad Fathi. May he be graced with supernatural strength while he is in prison, and may he find favor with the Iranian authorities and released from his incarceration soon!
Worship with Us Today!
Worship with Us Today!
Fall Afresh featuring
Spirit of the Living God come fall afresh on me
Come wake me from my sleep
Blow through the caverns of my soul
Pour in me to overflow,