Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Friday, January 11, 2013
"Yield now and be at peace with Him; Thereby good will come to you." (Job 22:21)
Guides for today's American Prayer Initiative can be found by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. Obama, Karzai endorse 'Taliban office,' agree to speed military transition - (Fox News)
President Obama and Afghan President Hamid Karzai on Friday endorsed the opening of a "Taliban office" in a third-party country to "facilitate" reconciliation talks -- just one plank of the post-war plan the two leaders discussed during Karzai's visit to Washington.
The two also agreed to speed up slightly the schedule for moving Afghanistan's security forces into the lead across the country, with U.S. troops shifting fully to a support role by spring rather than summer. The capabilities of the Afghan army are "exceeding initial expectations," the two said in a joint statement released after their private White House meeting. (Read more)
- Lord, Jehovah, the Covenant-Keeping God, we thank You for Your covenant with Israel and with us. We know that You watch over Your Word to perform it. We are concerned about the Islamic agenda, and their infiltration of our government, from our President and his advisors, on down. We are concerned about the "pulling back" of American forces in Afghanistan, more rapidly than originally agreed upon. And also, the establishment of a "Taliban office".
We know the Taliban are terrorists and have caused many deaths and destruction. We ask Lord, that You would "contain" this enemy, hemming them in from doing more damage and destruction. Give wisdom to our President we pray. How can "reconciliation" with those whose purpose is to destroy you, ever really happen? Reveal the secret things, we pray, and the "hidden agendas" of all concerned. Protect Your people we pray. Amen.
- "You will be safe from those who would hurt you, so you will have nothing to fear. Nothing will come to make you afraid. I will not send anyone to attack you, and you will defeat those who do attack you. So no weapon that is used against you will defeat you. You will show that those who speak against you are wrong. These are the good things my servants receive. Their victory comes from me' says the LORD." (Isaiah 54:14,15,17)
2. NRA rips Biden task force for 'attack' on 2nd Amendment, as details of plan emerge - Fox News
The National Rifle Association emerged from a meeting Thursday with Vice President Biden and accused his gun violence task force of leading an "attack" on the Second Amendment -- just hours after Biden gave a glimpse into the gun-control recommendations expected to hit the president's desk in a matter of days.
- Father, we come to You, asking again that our Constitutional rights be upheld, including our right "to bear arms". We know there are criminals and terrorists who have, and will use guns, to commit their crimes regardless of gun control restraints. We therefore ask that the citizenry of this nation not be disarmed through the proposed restraints and be unable to defend ourselves and our homes. We know the real problem is a heart one . . . and we therefore ask for revival in our nation. We ask that You will woo them to Yourself, that they may accept You as Savior, and live. Amen.
- "For it is from within, out of a person's heart, that evil thoughts come--sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly." (Mark 7:21,22)
3. Teachers in Ohio, Texas flock to free gun training classes following Sandy Hook massacre - Reuters
In Ohio, more than 900 teachers have signed up as part of the Buckeye Firearms Association's new three-day gun training program. In Texas, the association's class for teachers was also quickly filled up. Read more.
- It is tragic that the time has come that our classroom teachers must carry guns to protect themselves and those in their care. However, in Israel, this policy is "standard operating procedure" throughout the nation, which may explain why reports of school shootings in that country do not exist.
Pray for the safety of all teachers who are being trained to carry weapons, for their intention is only one of self-defense. Continue to uphold our Constitution in intercession, for this document was written to protect the rights of our people.
- "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
4. California school practiced new lockdown drill minutes before shooting -
Minutes before a gunman walked into a California high school, students and teachers had been discussing what to do if the school came under attack. "Just 10 minutes before it happened, our teachers were giving us protocol because of what happened in Connecticut," Oscar Nuno, a student at Taft High School said.
A 16-year-old student armed with a shotgun walked into his first period science class Thursday and opened fire, wounding a classmate he claimed had bulled him. Video surveillance shows the suspect entering the building through a side door. He fired two more rounds at students, reportedly missing a second target, as they fled the class, and then faced a well-liked teacher Ryan Heber, MyFoxLA.com reported.
- Abba, we thank You for this brave teacher, who talked this troubled youth into putting down his weapon. We thank You that no one was killed. We pray for the total healing of the two individuals who were shot, and for the emotional healing of all the students, and faculty, as well as the shooter, himself. We do ask that this young man, who did the shooting, will receive the counselling he needs, and that he would come to know You, through this traumatic event. We also ask that students across the nation will understand the cruelty of "bullying" fellow students, and will stop doing it. We thank You for Your love and acceptance of all of us, including this young man. Amen.
- "Then Jesus said to him, Put your sword (weapon) back into its place, for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." (Matthew 26:52)
5. Flu 'epidemic ... still on the uptick,' national health official says, threatening to slow economy further - CNN
One of the worst flu seasons in a decade is putting further strains on an already sluggish U.S. economy as companies get slammed with increased health care costs and lower productivity from widespread worker absences.The flu is spreading fiercely across the United States, with more than 40 states reporting widespread activity in what one of the nation's leading health officials is calling an epidemic.
- Father, we ask for a halt to the spread of this disease. We ask that You would protect the most vulnerable . . . the very young, the very old, and those who are disabled. We ask, Lord, that the people would cry out to You for healing, as those in the wilderness looked to the snake on the pole and were healed. May we all look to Yeshua, our Savior and Healer. In His name we pray, Amen.
- "And the Lord said to Moses, Make a fiery serpent [of bronze] and set it on a pole; and everyone who is bitten, when he looks at it, shall live."As Moses lifted up the serpent (on a pole) in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up (on the cross); so that whoever believes in Him, will have eternal life." (Numbers 21:9; John 3:15)
6. USDA's crop report for 2012 to show drought impact - Fox News
The U.S. Department of Agriculture is releasing its final crop report for 2012, providing a glimpse of what last year's drought cost the nation's farmers and others. The report covers a number of crops, but attention will likely focus on corn production. The USDA predicted the nation's biggest harvest ever in the spring, when farmers planted 96.4 million acres of corn. But it began scaling back its estimates as the drought spread across two-thirds of the nation.
- Lord of the Harvest, we know that drought is often a form of judgment upon the land. We do ask, that in Your judgment, You will remember mercy. We are seeing all the things You warned us about before Your return to this earth...wars and rumors of war, famines, all kinds of weather extremes, such as drought, and floods, disease epidemics (pestilences), and that these are just the beginning. We know You are coming soon, and we pray that we will redeem the time we have to bring in a great harvest of souls, into Your kingdom. We thank You for Your faithfulness in supplying seed for the sower, and we ask You to bless that seed in an abundant harvest. In Your wonderful Name, Amen.
- "Though he falls, he shall not be utterly cast down, for the Lord grasps his hand in support and upholds him. I have been young and now am old, yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, or their seed begging bread. All day long they are merciful and deal graciously; they lend, and their offspring are blessed." (Psalm 37:24-26)
7. As new fiscal crises nears, Democrats seek more tax increases - McClatchy Newspapers
In case you thought there was no risk of your taxes going up again, think again. Washington isn't done with you yet. Democrats, led by President Barack Obama, want lawmakers to consider a fresh set of tax increases in the next several weeks when they discuss whether to cut spending.
- O precious Lord, in this bad economy, we ask that You would give the revelation to all Congress, all branches of our government, and all the people, that we cannot spend what we don't have. May sanity somehow return to our government. We ask that these lawmakers would be granted Your wisdom as to where they can trim all the excess "fat" from the budget, so we can meet our responsibilities without another tax hike. We know that most of these lawmakers are wealthy and find it difficult to understand the struggle financially, of many of their constituents. We pray that with Your wisdom, they will also realize their need of You in their lives, and avail themselves the life-giving blessing of knowing You! Amen.
- "O our God, will You not exercise judgment upon them? For we have no might to stand against this great company that is coming against us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon You." (II Chronicles 20:12)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
bat's prophetic portion ends with Isaiah 29:22-23. Therefore thus says YHWH, who redeemed Abraham, concerning the house of Jacob: "Jacob shall not now be ashamed, nor shall his face now become pale. But when he sees his children, the work of My hands, in his midst, they shall sanctify My name, and sanctify the Holy One of Jacob, and shall fear the God of Israel." (Isaiah 29:22-23)
1. Fatah, Hamas take fresh stab at unity deal - Jerusalem Post
The Egyptians announced on Thursday that Fatah and Hamas have agreed to start immediately implementing previous reconciliation agreements signed between the two rival parties.
2. Rare snow shuts down Jerusalem - CBS News
An incredible and a rare site in the Holy Land: The biggest snowstorm in a decade covered Jerusalem with a blanket of white Thursday, paralyzing the city, but thrilling residents.
3. Peres blasts Netanyahu: Terror attacks will resume - Ynet News
"The world's Jews want an Israel they can be proud of and not an Israel that has no borders and that is considered an occupying state," according to President Shimon Peres, whose comments were published in the New York Times Wednesday.
4. Sea of Galilee sloshes yet higher, snowmelt may add dozens more centimeters - Times of Israel
The relentless heavy rain that poured down on Israel since the weekend added 69 centimeters to the level of the Sea of Galilee -- with a rise of 14 centimeters in the last 24 hours alone, the Israel Water Authority said on Thursday.
5. Chuck Hagel: Friend or foe? - Israel Hayom
Those who support his nomination laud him for "going against the grain," and Hagel himself maintains he has "unequivocal" support for Israel, but his actions in the past as a senator have placed him on the opposing side of Israel's interests many times.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'" (Matthew 25:40)
1. India Christians Refused Water; Church Attack Injures Dozens
Impoverished Christian villagers in India's western state of Maharashtra were refused water and firewood Tuesday, January 8, after a Hindu attack on their house church injured some 30 believers, a chief investigator told Worthy News.
2. Uzbekistan: Vacation Raid
Police raided a group of 80 Christians in Uzbekistan on Dec. 1 while they were vacationing at the Simurg resort in the Bostanlyk District of Uzbekistan. The raid occurred during a meeting at which they were discussing their faith and singing Christian songs. Police authorities confiscated songbooks and Bibles and charged some of the Christians with leading unsanctioned worship. (VOM) Read more.
3. Teacher's Throat Cut in Mosul Becoming Latest Martyr in Northern Iraqi City
Police in Mosul yesterday found the body of a Christian woman with her throat cut, according to Asia News. Reporters say the gruesome discovery was made in an area where attacks have been carried out in the past against members of the city's Christian minority, including abducted Bishop Faraj Rahho and Father Ragheed Ganni, who was murdered.
Sources told AsiaNews that the victim is Shdha Elias, a 54-year-old Chaldean, who worked as a teacher "in a school in the al Bath neighbourhood." She "lived however in Bar Nirgal, near the university". With her death, she joins "the long list of Christian martyrs in Mosul." (ASSIST News) Read more.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
The Daily Jot
The Daily Jot:
Police State America--Taking aim at the Bill of Rights
From the time the Huguenots, Pilgrims and Jamestown settlers came to America, there was a great sense of freedom established in what would become the most prosperous and powerful nation on earth. These freedoms as expressed in documents like the Mayflower Compact were directly tied to religious freedom. So passionate were the Founding Fathers about guaranteeing individual rights of Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness endowed by the Creator that they wrote into the Constitution the 10 Bill of Rights. The first was the ability to worship and speak freely, upon which all the others are based. The second was the ability to defend those rights. This government intends to take them away
We have seen tremendous erosion of First Amendment rights with so-called hate speech laws and same sex marriage--which are direct attacks at freedoms of speech and religion. This right is also attacked by tax funding of abortion mills like Planned Parenthood. The government, no longer representing the interest of all citizens, but rather the interest of the government, has not attempted a direct attack at the 1st Amendment. Not so, with the 2nd Amendment. This White House, spineless Congress, and activist Supreme Court is going after the 2nd Amendment. If they succeed, they will likely rewrite all the Bill of Rights and there will be no way to defend yourself against such scurrilous action.
The National Rifle Association statement after meeting with the White House task force on gun violence is a clarion wake up call: "We were disappointed with how little this meeting had to do with keeping our children safe and how much it had to do with an agenda to attack the Second Amendment. While claiming that no policy proposals would be "prejudged," this Task Force spent most of its time on proposed restrictions on lawful firearms owners--honest, taxpaying, hardworking Americans. It is unfortunate that this Administration continues to insist on pushing failed solutions to our nation's most pressing problems. We will not allow law-abiding gun owners to be blamed for the acts of criminals and madmen."
Stalin, Mao, and Hitler had this in common: They disarmed their citizens. Well over 100 million people died because of it. Their political systems had the facade of "democracy," but in reality were deadly dictatorships. In a December 28, 2012 editorial, Pravda (the once-mouthpiece for Soviet Communism) wrote: For those of us fighting for our traditional rights, the US 2nd Amendment is a rare light in an ever darkening room. Governments will use the excuse of trying to protect the people from maniacs and crime, but are in reality, it is the bureaucrats protecting their power and position." Ironic that Pravda can see it, but many American's don't. Jesus said in Matthew 24:4, "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Have A Blessed And Powerful Day,
Pastor Giglio Disinvitation Signals Inauguration
of a New Era of Religious Intolerance
WASHINGTON, D.C. - Family Research Council President Tony Perkins offered the following comments in reaction to the news that Pastor Louis Giglio has been "kicked out" of the inauguration program because he has expressed his biblical views of sexuality:
"This is another example of intolerance from the Obama administration toward those who hold to biblical views on sexuality. Why is the president surprised that an evangelical pastor would teach from Scripture on homosexuality? One would be hard pressed to find an Evangelical pastor who hasn't preached on what the Bible teaches about human sexuality.
"Catholic, Evangelical Protestant, and Orthodox churches all actively proclaim that sexual intimacy within the marriage of one man and one woman is the only biblically-sanctioned human sexual behavior. Are the scores of millions of Americans who affirm these teachings no longer welcome at the inauguration of our president?
"What is shocking is the intolerance of the Obama team that put such a high priority on forced acceptance of homosexuality that they totally disregard Pastor Giglio's life work combating human trafficking. What we are seeing is the inauguration of a new era of religious intolerance in America.
"However, I would remind the president that the Constitution does not guarantee us only freedom of worship but also the freedom of religion. The two are very different. Freedom of religion goes further by guaranteeing the right to live out one's faith not only in the privacy of their home but in the public square as well.
"This president appears determined to stir division and create two Americas: One America that holds to a biblical view of sexuality and another that offers tolerance so long as you embrace its redefined view of sexuality," concluded Perkins.
Urgent: Oppose Hagel Nomination
USIEA Action Alert:
U.S. Israel Education Association
Please contact your Senators.
Below you will find a sample letter from the U.S. Israel Education Association to our Alabama Senators asking them to vote "NO" on Chuck Hagel's nomination for Secretary of Defense. We urge you to please use the following letter to contact your own Senators. Senators are more responsive to their own constituents, so we encourage you to alert friends and family members in other states and ask them to contact their Senators as well.
The following are simple steps to contact your Senator online:
1. Click on this link.
2. Find your Senators. (If you are not sure which are your Senators, please call 202-224-3121.)
3. Click on the "Web Form" URL under the name of your Senators.
4. Fill out your information.
5. Type the message subject: "Please publicly oppose the nomination of Chuck Hagel for Secretary of Defense"
6. Select and copy the text in the letter below.
7. Paste into the "Message" box for your Senator.
January 11, 2013
Dear Senator _________,
I'm writing to ask you to publicly oppose the nomination of Senator Chuck Hagel to be our next Secretary of Defense. It has come to my attention that Hagel has a very problematic and controversial voting record when it comes to national security and foreign policy issues.
In 2000, Hagel was only one of four U.S. Senators to refuse to sign a letter in support of Israel. In 2003, Hagel was one of eleven senators who refused to support sanctions on Syria for its support of terrorism and the occupation of Lebanon. In 2007, Hagel voted against designating Iran's Revolutionary Guards as a terrorist organization. In 2012, Hagel was one of two U.S. senators who opposed the Iran-Libya Sanctions Act. Finally, he refused to support efforts to further isolate Iran's number one puppet: Hezbollah. As someone who greatly values the U.S. having a strong foreign policy that adequately addresses threats to America's national security, I implore you not to support Hagel as Secretary of Defense.
As a combat veteran, Senator Hagel deserves our respect. As a former senator, he deserves your cordiality. But America deserves someone who recognizes the greatest threats facing us to lead the Defense Department.
Please oppose the nomination of Senator Hagel for Secretary of Defense.
Please Pray for Egypt
January 15 - A Decisive Day for Egypt
January 15 will be a decisive day for Egypt. A jury will decide if the way Sharia Law was put in place was lawful and if that law should be upheld in Egypt. While this decision is crucial for Egypt, it will also have a profound effect on Muslims around the world.
Many Muslims are beginning to discover that Islam is faulty. They are seeking the truth and want to learn about Jesus Christ.
- Pray that God will be glorified in the nation of Egypt.
- Pray for an atmosphere of truth as the deciding jury meets on January 15.
- Pray that Sharia Law will not stand.
- Pray that God is revealed supernaturally to those who are seeking truth.
- Pray that the eyes of powerful Muslim leaders are opened to a revelation of Jesus.
- Pray for protection for believers in Jesus and those seeking to know more about Him.
- And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. (John 8:32)
- And this is eternal life that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. (John 17:3)
- And it shall come to pass afterward that I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh. Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions. And also on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days. (Joel 2:28-29)
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Chinese Christians Using Internet's Social Networking to Communicate Gospel
"China's microblog has become the new frontier of China's Christian movement."
(China)-According to a Compass Direct News report, an increasing number of Chinese Christians are turning to the internet to share their faith and speak out about their country's religious persecution.
Facebook and Twitter are officially banned in China, but in their place is Weibo, their own state-regulated, social network. From there have come microblog sites such as Sina Weibo which reportedly boasts some 400 million users, a number that is ever increasing.
Some Chinese Christians are becoming more bold in their postings, such as one of the more prominent faith bloggers, Pan Shiy, who-according to Compass Direct is a "real estate billionaire who frequently shares prayers on Sundays with his 6 million-plus followers."
One Weibo posting included a photo of a young girl holding a sign in the public square in Shenzhen, the sign read: "Believe in Jesus and receive eternal life." As she held the sign, her parents shared the Gospel with passers-by and twenty of them gave their lives to Christ. There was a great deal of support for them from other Believers posting on Weibo.
Source: Compass Direct News, CharismaNews.com
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are!
Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
by Babbie Mason
The army of Judah was paralysed by fear
When they heard a mighty multitude was quickly
But as they prayed for deliverance
The victory would begin
For when we call upon the Lord, we summon all of