Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Tuesday, January 29, 2013
"The LORD will protect you from all evil; He will keep your soul." (Psalm 121:7)
Guidelines for today's American Prayer Initiative can be found by going here.
Today's Daily Jot can be found by going to: www.dailyjot.com or by using
The Daily Brief
1. Britain's economy flirts with "triple dip" recession - Reuters
Britain's economy shrank more than expected at the end of 2012 with a North Sea oil production slump, lower factory output and a hangover from London's Olympics pushing it perilously close to a "triple-dip" recession.
- Lord, visit the people of Britain with revival. May they return to You and be saved. We pray for a turnaround in their economy. We pray for the poor and needy, that they would come to praise You, and be brought out of poverty. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- O let not the oppressed return ashamed: let the poor and needy praise they name. (Psalms 74:21)
2. Iran official: Attack on Syria is attack on us - AP
Iran considers any attack against Syria an attack on itself, an advisor to the Islamic Republic's supreme leader was quoted as saying Saturday, the strongest warning to date by a top Iranian official that Tehran will use any available means to keep the regime of President Bashar Assad in power.
- Lord, we continue to pray that Syria and Iran would come under Your control. Let them listen to Your voice, and not listen to the enemy, or be a part of his work. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- Harken now unto my voice, I will give you counsel, and God shall be with you. (Exodus 18:19)
3. Lawmakers see immigration overhaul this year - US News and World Report
Republican and Democratic lawmakers were cautiously optimistic Sunday that a long-sought overhaul of the nation's immigration system that includes a pathway to citizenship for the 11 million illegal immigrants currently in the country will clear Congress this year, the result of changes in the political landscape shown in November's election.
- Lord, we pray for the lawmakers regarding immigration, that they would make fair and just regulations on the immigration problem, and that our borders may be secured. We pray that the illegal immigrants would adhere to the laws of this country. Make known to all involved Your statutes on this issue. May they come unto You, so they make correct judgments on what to do about the immigration problems. We pray the needed reforms be accomplished in the name of Jesus. Amen.
- When they have a matter, they come unto me: and I judge between one and another, and I do make them know the statutes of God, and His laws. (Exodus 18:16)
4. Thousands march for gun control in Washington - Fox News
Thousands of people, many holding signs with names of gun violence victims and messages such as "Ban Assault Weapons Now," gathered in front of the Capitol on Saturday for a March on Washington for Gun Control.
- Lord, we see in the scriptures the use of weapons by Your people, and our second amendment to the Constitution protects the right to bear arms. We pray for a solution on the gun issue. We pray for violence to be stopped. Give leaders wisdom on these decisions. In the name of Jesus, our Prince of Peace, we pray. Amen.
- He cried also in mine ears with a loud voice, saying, cause them that have charge over the city to draw near, even every man with his destroying weapon in his hand. (Ezekiel 9:1)
5. Kerry Backs U.S. Entry into Pro-Abortion UN Treaty - CNS News
Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) said if confirmed as the next Secretary of State, he would support making the United States a party to a United Nations convention that has been repeatedly used to advocate for abortions, oppose restrictions and support government funding across the globe.
- Lord, forgive John Kerry for his position on abortion. Give him revelation of the God who formed him and all the babies in the womb. Let him see the error of supporting abortion. Since it seems he will be confirmed, we pray for a change of heart in his backing U.S. entry into any UN support of abortion funding. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"We give thanks to You, O God, we give thanks, For Your name is near;
Men declare Your wondrous works." (Psalm 75:1)
1. Israeli Official Hints Pentagon Plans May Make Lone Strike on Iran Unnecessary - NY Times
Israel's departing defense minister, Ehud Barak, said that the Pentagon had prepared sophisticated blueprints for a surgical operation to set back Iran's nuclear program should the United States decide to attack -- a statement that was a possible indication that Israel might have shelved any plans for a unilateral strike, at least for now.
2. Israel: Iran slowing nuclear program, won't have bomb before 2015 - Miami Herald
Israeli intelligence officials now estimate that Iran won't be able to build a nuclear weapon before 2015 or 2016, pushing back by several years previous assessments of Iran's nuclear ambitions.
3. Netanyahu says Israel, US in sync on Syria - Times of Israel
With tensions rising on Israel's northern frontier, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday said Israel and the United States were exercising "very close cooperation on developing matters in Syria."
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have relieved me in my distress; Be gracious to me and hear my prayer." (Psalm 4:1)
1. Threat to burn Bibles in wake of Sultan's ban on word 'Allah'
London, January 24 (World Watch Monitor) - A threat this week to burn Bibles in the Malay language is the latest in a series of attacks on the Christian faith in Malaysia.
A note sent to a Christian priest in Butterworth on Tuesday, 22nd January 2013 said a Bible-burning pesta or festival would take place in the town's public park on Sunday [27th January]. Butterworth is sited on the mainland across from the tourist island resort of Penang. The note, written in Malay, ends with a sinister warning in English: "Let's teach 'em a lesson." The police have been informed of the threat.
2. Africa rises on World Watch List of worst persecutors
Washington, D.C., January 8 (World Watch Monitor) - Africa, where Christianity spread fastest during the past century, now is the region where oppression of Christians is spreading fastest, a new report says.
The two-year-old Arab Spring has toppled autocrats across Northern Africa, but it also has energized militant Islamist movements that have killed hundreds of Christians and endanger thousands more, according to the annual World Watch List, released Tuesday. The list, published by Open Doors International, a ministry to persecuted Christians, ranks the 50 countries it considers to be most hostile to believers during the year that ended Oct. 31. The countries on the list are home to about a quarter of the world's 2.2 billion believers.
3. China's Christians seize internet opportunities
London, December 31 (World Watch Monitor) - Chinese Christians are sharing their faith on Weibo, China's giant, state-regulated, social network - and some are beginning to challenge the censor by speaking out against religious persecution.
When Christian band Rainbow Come appeared on China's equivalent of "The X Factor," Christians turned to social networking to drum up votes for the band so their music could reach more Chinese.
Within a few days, thousands of votes had been posted for Rainbow Come, according to China's Gospel Times, enough to propel them this month to a leading position in the seventh round of "Chinese Dream" on Zhejiang Television. Such is the power of social networking - even in China, which has officially banned Facebook and Twitter.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
Thousands Marched for Life in DC
Despite Frigid Temps, Thousands Marched for Life in DC - BCN
(Washington, DC)-Last Friday marked the 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, and the annual March for Life on the National Mall in Washington, DC.
Although the temperatures plummeted into the 20's, the March was well attended with thousands-some reports claiming over 500,000-making a stand for the lives of unborn babies.
Among the speakers present and on video were, US House Speaker John Boener, Rep. Chris Smith, Sen. Rand Paul and others.
"I believe our country is in need of a revival," said Sen. Paul at the March. "I believe our country is in need of a spiritual awakening. . . . We must preach a Gospel so full of compassion and so full of justice that it cannot be resisted.
Pope Benedict XVI tweeted his support for the March for Life saying, "I join all those marching for life from afar, and pray that political leaders will protect the unborn and promote a culture of life."
Ruben Verastegui, spoke on behalf of the youth attending the rally, saying that he is part of the "Generation for Life," and reminding those present that "with God all things are possible."
Rick Santorum stated that the "March for Life gives warmth to a cold city."
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner
Our good news reports will not be published this week, as our "good news editor" is on vacation!
We will return next week with glorious reports of how GOD is moving in our land, amen!
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are!
Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!