Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Wednesday, January 16, 2012
". . . if anyone loves God, he is known by Him." (I Corinthians 8:3)
Guidelines for today's American Prayer Initiative can be found by going here.
Today's Daily Jot can be found by going to: www.dailyjot.com or by using
The Daily Brief
1. Obama announces most expansive gun-control agenda in generations - Washington Post
President Obama on Wednesday formally announced the most aggressive and expansive national gun-control agenda in generations as he presses Congress to mandate background checks for all firearms buyers and prohibit assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips.
- Father God, we entreat You to send Your army of warrior angels to surround everything and everyone involved in this action by this man as they war against his every word and action. Let his words fall on deaf ears and his theatrical tactics be viewed as a shameful use of innocent children whom he has enlisted to make his stance more appealing to a deceived audience. God, take the wind out of his sails and his strength be weak and his influence to push gun-control be defeated as all his supporters fall back by the power of God. Reverse his efforts to destroy the Constitution piece by piece. In Jesus' Name.
- "The Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations and trials, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished." (II Peter 2:9)
2. GOP congressman threatens impeachment if Obama uses executive action for gun control - Daily Caller
Texas Republican Rep. Steve Stockman threatened Monday afternoon that he would file articles of impeachment against President Barack Obama if he institutes gun control measures with an executive order. Stockman warned that such executive orders would be "unconstitutional" and "infringe on our constitutionally-protected right to keep and bear arms." Read more.
- Father, we lift up Rep. Steve Stockman before Your throne of grace and ask that You dispatch an angel from heaven to stand beside him to protect him against all harm. Let not one hair of his head be touched by his enemies. Give him stamina and strength to stand tall and fight this battle to a victorious end. Block all executive orders that would infringe on our constitutionally-protected right to keep and bear arms. Call forth an army of supporters to stand behind Rep. Stockman as they fight for the good of our country. In the Name of Jesus we pray.
- "If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha." (I Corinthians 16:22)
3. Americans feel austerity's bite as payroll taxes rise - Reuters
Americans are beginning to feel the pinch from Washington's decision to embrace austerity measures aimed at bringing down the nation's budget deficit.
- Lord, as the country faces financial troubles we pray that people will be thankful for what they still have. May those who truly need help get the assistance they need. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. (1 Timothy 6-8)
4. U.S. states flirt with major tax changes - Reuters
Hopes for overhauling the federal tax system are fading in Washington, but in some state capitals, tax reform experiments - some far-reaching - are fast taking shape.
- Lord, we pray for the Governors and leadership in each state to receive godly wisdom from You in solving problems as they arise. We pray for Holy Spirit guidance as they make future plans. In the name of Jesus we pray.
- I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior. (1 Timothy 2:1-3)
5. Iran's Revolutionary Guards hold exercises in Strait of Hormuz - Reuters
The naval force of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) has held exercises to test new equipment and battle tactics in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, Iranian media reported on Sunday.
- Lord, when we hear these reports we come to You in trust asking that You deliver from evil. We ask that the Strait of Hormuz be safe. We pray for salvation - even of these Islamics in the IRGC and naval force of Iran. May the war exercises not bear evil fruit. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- Who delivered us from such a great death, and doth deliver: in Whom we trust that He will yet deliver us. (2 Corinthians 1:10)
6. Russia rejects Assad exit as precondition for Syria deal - Reuters
Russia voiced support on Saturday for international peace envoy Lakhdar Brahimi but insisted Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's exit cannot be a precondition for a deal to end the country's conflict.
- Lord, You are the one who brings light to the darkness and guides our feet into the way of peace. We pray for the international peace envoy that You would guide them to peace for the people of Syria. We pray You would bring light to that country. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet in the way of peace. (Luke 1:79)
7. Team Obama won't act to prevent Assad's use of chemical weapons - World Tribune
The United States, despite repeated pledges to the contrary, has ruled out military intervention to stop Syria from using its chemical weapons. Obama has acknowledged that the U.S. Army would not be deployed to stop President Bashar Assad from firing CW at either Sunni rebels or neighboring states. Officials said the administration has concluded that Washington could not prevent Assad from using his CW arsenal. Read more.
- Father, we pray that the axe will be laid at the root of the tree and the destructive plans of Assad will be uprooted by the power of God. Thwart and disable his chemical weapons by pouring the water of the Lord on them. Hold back the powers of darkness that are attempting to move against the will of God. Bring a drastic change in Assad's administration to conform to Your will. In Jesus' Name.
- "Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flies by day, nor for the pestilence that walks in darkness; nor for the destruction that destroys at noonday." (Psalm 91:5-6)
8. Senator Asks CIA Nominee When Drones Can Kill Americans - Wired.com
Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) sent a letter on Monday to John Brennan, the White House's counterterrorism adviser and nominee to be head of the CIA, asking for an outline of the legal and practical rules that underpin the U.S. government's targeted killing of American citizens suspected of working with al-Qaida. The Obama administration has repeatedly resisted disclosing any such information about its so-called "disposition matrix" targeting terrorists, especially where it concerns possible American targets. Read more.
- Father, redeem and pull out those Americans that are involved in al-Quida activities by lifting the veil of darkness from their minds and eyes so they can comprehend and see the evil of terrorism and safely walk away from its infiltration into their lives. Deliver them and set them free by the powerful blood of Jesus that their lives be changed from death to life. In Jesus' Name we pray.
- "To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are set apart by faith that is in Jesus." (Acts 26:18)
9. 'Obama: Israel doesn't Know What's Good for It' - Israel National News
When informed about the Israeli decision to approve construction plans in the E1 area, "Obama, who has a famously contentious relationship with the prime minister, didn't even bother getting angry," wrote Goldberg. "He told several people that this sort of behavior on Netanyahu's part is what he has come to expect, and he suggested that he has become inured to what he sees as self-defeating policies of his Israeli counterpart. "In the weeks after the UN vote, Obama said privately and repeatedly, 'Israel doesn't know what its own best interests are.' Read more.
- Father, it is well-known in heaven that there is an intercommunication between this man and a network in the shadow government that controls the relationship regarding America and Israel and he is their spokesman. The message from them is for all the world to hate Israel until it is destroyed piece by piece. But God, You are the highest power and all things are in Your hands.You have put Your Name in Jerusalem and have chosen Israel to be the carrier of Your message of God to the world. Father, we ask that You speak a word and crush the destructive words of the enemy and scatter the listeners that none stand with him. In the Name of Jesus we pray.
- "When Israel was but a few men in number, yea very few, and strangers in it; when they went from one nation to another, from one kingdom to another people; God suffered no man to do them wrong, yea He reproved and judged kings for their sakes; saying, Touch not mine anointed and do my prophets no harm." (Psalm 105:12-15)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"You, O God, sent a plentiful rain, by which You upheld Your inheritance when it was weary." (Psalm 68:9)
1. Obama, Netanyahu: Bad blood between key allies - AP
President Barack Obama heads into his second term weighed down by an American government snarled in partisan gridlock, but also by an unproductive relationship with the leader of Israel, the bedrock U.S. ally in the tumultuous Middle East.
2. Israel among targets of 'monster' espionage virus - Times of Israel
An extensive espionage-oriented hacking operation, dubbed "Red October," has over the last five years targeted computers and mobile devices 69 countries, including at least one victim in Israel, and still remains active, according to a Monday report from the Moscow anti-virus firm Kaspersky Lab.
3. Prime minister eyeing deal with center-left, insiders say - Times of Israel
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu prefers to form a coalition with the center-left parties rather than the ultra-Orthodox and hard-right parties, Likud sources said in a Maariv report published on Monday.
4. Large terror tunnel from Gaza discovered near kibbutz - Times of Israel
Israeli soldiers patrolling near the Gaza Strip Monday discovered a large tunnel originating from the Palestinian enclave, apparently designed to facilitate a terror attack.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you." (Psalm 5:11)
1. American pastor imprisoned in Iran to go on trial next week - Fox News
An American pastor currently imprisoned in his native Iran because of his Christian faith will go on trial next week before a judge known for meting out harsh sentences.
Saeed Abedini, will go before one of Iran's most notorious "hanging judges" on Jan. 21 on charges of compromising national security. Court documents indicate that the charges are directly related to Abedini's work starting a house church movement, and his supporters say it is a clear case of a Christian being punished for his beliefs . . .
Abedini's attorney told advocacy group American Center for Law and Justice that most of the charges against Abedini are indecipherable except for one that stems from the year 2000, when he converted from Islam to Christianity. Saeed Abedini has been imprisoned since September, when he returned to Iran to visit family. In a letter written to his wife just days ago, Abedini said his captors have tortured him and given him mixed signals about his fate. (Read more.)
> > > This brother is a US citizen and has been pretty much abandoned by the State Dept. But he is not abandoned by God. . . May we remember him in our prayers.
If you have not already done so, we encourage you to sign the petition to free Pastor Saeed, sponsored by the American Center for Law and Justice. You can do so by going here.
- "The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners . . . " (Isaiah 61:1)
2. Why some Malians are happy about the arrival of the French - Washington Post
When Western powers enter into regional conflicts, they aren't always greeted as liberators. But in the past few days, many Malians have been quoted as vocally supporting the French intervention there.
In Mali's capital of Bamako, French and Malian flags are hanging side by side, and in the south-central city of Segou, some are holding signs reading, "Thank you, France, for saving our lives."
When Western powers enter into regional conflicts, they aren't always greeted as liberators. But in the past few days, many Malians have been quoted as vocally supporting the French intervention there. In Mali's capital of Bamako, French and Malian flags are hanging side by side, and in the south-central city of Segou, some are holding signs reading, "Thank you, France, for saving our lives." People wave a French flag in Bamako, Mali. (AFP/Getty) "The Islamists were advancing rapidly towards us without the intervention of the French army," said Moussa Touré, a Bamako resident in her 30s who was interviewed by the African-oriented news site Jeune Afrique. . . (Read more)
3. North Korea Refugees Respond to World Watch List - Christians in Crisis
North Korean refugees overwhelmingly believe North Korea should indeed be number one on Open Doors' annual World Watch List. They state that the complete lack of human rights, including freedom of religion, makes the situation in their country incomparable to any other. According to Timothy (alias), a 24-year-old North Korean who was branded a traitor and nearly tortured to death after being arrested in China nine years ago, the government is obsessively preoccupied with nuclear tests. "They ignore all freedoms; the human rights level is zero percent. Religions are not allowed. The leader of North Korea has to be worshipped as god, and this will not change unless the regime collapses." (Read more)
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
A Member of Congress Speaks Up for Persecuted Church
Congressman Frank Wolf Calls On Religious Leaders In West
To Speak Out On Behalf Of Persecuted Church Globally
(Published on Wed., January 9)
Rep. Frank Wolf (R-VA), one of Congress' most outspoken leaders on religious freedom and human rights, today called on faith leaders in the West to use their influence to speak out on behalf of the persecuted Church around the globe.
In a letter today to nearly 300 Protestant and Catholic leaders, Wolf described a global state in which Christians are being murdered, exiled and denied basic freedoms due to their beliefs. He pressed the American church leaders to act and declared his intent to reintroduce a bill to create a special envoy position within the State Department that would advocate on behalf of religious minorities in the Middle East and South Central Asia. Believers in these regions, notably in countries like Egypt, Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan are particularly vulnerable.
While Wolf's bipartisan special envoy legislation overwhelmingly passed the House last Congress, it was blocked in the Senate due to opposition from State Department officials and Senate Foreign Relations Committee chairman John Kerry, now the presumptive Secretary of State.
The video also has a link to a video interview with the Pakistanti Federal Minister of Minority Affairs Bhatti, who was killed by the Taliban shortly after the video was taken, for standing against Sharia law and speaking up.
We need to speak up in the west!
In 1998, Wolf authored the International Religious Freedom Act, which created the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) and established the International Religious Freedom Office at the State Department headed by an ambassador-at-large. He was the lead sponsor of legislation which successfully reauthorized the Commission last Congress, and he currently serves as co-chairman of the Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission.
In the letter, Wolf quoted German Lutheran pastor Dietrich Bonhoeffer, an influential clergyman executed for his efforts in the Nazi-resistance during World War II, who famously said, "Silence in the face of evil is itself evil. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act."
Wolf described a story from the book "When a Nation Forgets God," authored by a German Christian, who recounted how trains full of Jews on their way to death camps used to travel by his church each Sunday during the Holocaust. "Their screams tormented us," the author wrote, "but . . . what could anyone do to stop it?"
According to the book:
"We knew the time the train was coming and when we heard the whistle blow we began singing hymns. By the time the train came past our church we were singing at the top of our voices. If we heard the screams, we sang more loudly and soon we heard them no more.
"Years have passed and no one talks about it anymore. But I still hear that train whistle in my sleep. God forgive me; forgive all of us who called ourselves Christians and yet did nothing to intervene."
Wolf drew parallels from that story to the church in the West today which seems to struggle to find its voice on behalf of its persecuted brethren globally.
"Every day around the world, men and women of faith are imprisoned, beaten, detained, tortured and even killed," Wolf wrote. "Have we in the West ceased to be salt and light? Has our comfort led to complacency? Can the church in the West be galvanized to act?" (Office of Congressman Frank Wolf) Read more here.
Gun Control: The Bitter Truth
Gun Control: The Bitter Truth
Video Documents the Slaughter of Hundreds of Millions in the Past Century, when their Governments Seized their Guns
As the gun control debate has now reached the Oval Office, and as rather drastic measures are being considered, leading to the limiting of our right to bear arms, we want to share this video with you.
Caution: this is a hard-hitting documentary -- not one that children should view. It is also about one hour long, but if you watch just the first ten minutes, you will understand its message.
Please pray with us that our American citizens will receive solid facts about the consequences of the confiscation of guns by any government, and would then respond wisely to the debate that is now roaring across our land. Thank you.
Obama vs. The Second Amendment
Obama vs. The Second Amendment
In response to the tragic Sandy Hook shootings last month, President Obama today unveiled a series of proposals aimed at limiting Second Amendment rights. Some, like expanded background checks, enjoy broad support in most polls. Others, like banning certain guns, are more controversial. The public generally wants the laws already on the books to be enforced, not more laws passed.
When it comes to the use of executive orders, Obama appears to be cautious -- for now. Obama announced that he was acting on 23 proposals recommended by Vice President Biden's task force. Politico reports that Obama's executive orders will likely focus on "anti-bullying measures and additional training for school counselors and mental health professionals." Obama is also ordering the Centers for Disease Control to study ways to prevent gun violence.
While some of these measures are limited in scope, it is infuriating that Obama's default position is to end-run Congress at every opportunity. In reaction to President Obama's executive orders, Senator Marco Rubio said, "President Obama is again abusing his power by imposing his policies via executive fiat instead of allowing them to be debated in Congress."
I was struck by the president's repeated references during his announcement to statistics involving handguns. Obama remarked that 900 people have been killed since Sandy Hook. But virtually all of those deaths were from handguns. He lamented the children who are too frequently denied their "right to life" in Chicago neighborhoods. (He said nothing about the million-plus children in the womb who every year are denied their right to life.)
At the very least, the president was engaging in demagoguery. He was using statistics that have virtually nothing to do with so-called "assault weapons" to justify his proposals that will make it harder for hunters, sportsmen, collectors and other law-abiding citizens to protect themselves.
The thugs and gang members running Chicago's streets are by definition not law-abiding citizens, and probably won't be affected in any way by anything Obama proposed today. If they aren't obeying current laws, they won't obey new ones!
What was most glaringly absent from the president's remarks was any discussion about cultural influences that may be contributing to the disturbing degree of random violence today. He won't engage in that debate because the culture that gave birth to Obama has undermined faith, family and individual responsibility. The left has relentlessly attacked the sanctity of life, the belief that we are all children of God, and that we will one day be judged by God. (Gary Bauer)
Sanctity of Human Life Sunday
Sanctity of Human Life Sunday
How can you get your community more involved in defending the sanctity of human life? Sanctity of Human Life Sunday on January 20, 2013 is your perfect opportunity.
Since 1983, Americans have observed Sanctity of Human Life Sunday (SOHLS) as a day to celebrate the intrinsic value of all human life. This important day also provides an opportunity for pregnancy centers to share about the work they do to bring life-affirming resources to their communities and to empower women and men to choose life for their unborn children.
Sanctity of Human Life Sunday is held on the Sunday in January that falls closest to the day on which the Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton decisions were handed down by the U.S. Supreme Court on January 22, 1973. The next SOHLS will take place on January 20, 2013. How can you be involved? To learn more, go here.
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
ISRAEL WELCOMED MORE THAN 3.5 MILLION TOURISTS IN 2012
A RECORD YEAR -- 5 PERCENT MORE THAN IN 2011
Tourism Ministry: Record Year for Incoming Tourism
Tuesday, January 8, 2013
Tourism Minister Stas Misezhnikov: "The swift and professional action taken by the Tourism Ministry with increased marketing activities around the world, when Operation Pillar of Defense ended, helped the rehabilitation of incoming tourism by the end of December. The immediate financial assistance to the tourism industry of tens of millions of shekel contributed to 2012's record year for incoming tourism and to the continued upward trend for the tourism industry over the last three years."
2012 - A NEW RECORD YEAR FOR INCOMING TOURISM Despite Operation Pillar of Defense which resulted in an average 11% decrease in the numbers of incoming tourists in November and December 2012 (compared to the same period in 2011), according to the Central Bureau of Statistics data published today, the year 2012 registered over 3.5 million visitor entries, 5% more than in 2011 and 2% more than in 2010. Of these, tourists (not including day visitors) accounted for 2.9 million entries, 2% more than in 2011 and 3% more than 2010 - another record statistic. 634,000 entries were one-day visitors, an increase of 17% on 2011 and 1% less than in 2010.
2.5 million Visitors arrived by air, an increase of 2% compared to 2011. About 404,000 came through the land borders, an increase of 6% compared to 2011. Of the day visitors, 294,000 entered via the land crossings (24% increase) and 251,000 arrived on cruise ships, 6% more than in 2011.
The minister added: "For every 36 tourists, one job is created and this year's increase in incoming tourism added thousands of new jobs to the workplace." (Source: IMRA) Read more.
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are!
Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
WHAT A DAY THAT WILL BE (WHEN MY JESUS I SHALL SEE)
What a day that will be,
When my Jesus I shall see,
And I look upon His face,
The One who saved me by His grace;
When He takes me by the hand,
And leads me through the Promised Land,
What a day, glorious day that will be.