Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Friday, January 4, 2013
"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland." (Isaiah 43:18,19)
The Daily Brief
1. Obama signs defense bill, focus on Iran - Ynet News
President Barack Obama signed a $633 billion defense bill that tightens penalties on Iran and strengthens security at diplomatic missions worldwide, despite serious concerns about the limits Congress imposed on his handling of terror suspects.
- Father, we thank You that this legislation strengthens security at all our diplomatic compounds world-wide, and we thank You for the tightening of penalties against Iran. We do ask that our President will stay within the legal bounds that our Congress has set for him, regarding terror suspects. We ask that none of these provisions in the defense bill will infringe upon law abiding citizens in this nation. We ask, and receive Your mercy and Your provision and protection. Amen.
- "First of all, then, I counsel that petitions, prayers, intercessions and thanksgivings be made for all human beings, including kings and all in positions of prominence; so that we may lead quiet and peaceful lives, being godly and upright in everything. This is what God, our Deliverer, regards as good; this is what meets his approval." (I Timothy 2:1-3)
2. Boehner tells GOP he's through negotiating one-on-one with Obama - The Hill
Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) is signaling that at least one thing will change about his leadership during the 113th Congress: he's telling Republicans he is done with private, one-on-one negotiations with President Obama.
- Abba, we ask for clarity and wisdom for Speaker Boehner, and the members of Congress he represents. We ask for courage as he negotiates with the other party. We pray he will remain true to the values of his party, and not be intimidated by those who oppose him. We pray for a deepening of his relationship with You, and an increase of his wisdom and strategies in following You and successfully serving his country. In Your Name, we pray. Amen.
- "But I'll make you as hard in your way as they are in theirs. I'll make your face as hard as rock, harder than granite. Don't let them intimidate you. Don't be afraid of them, even though they're a bunch of rebels." (Ezekiel 3:8,9)
3. Gun checks soar 39 percent, set new record: FBI - Reuters
The number of FBI background checks required for Americans buying guns set a record in December, indicating that more people may purchase one after the Connecticut school massacre stirred interest in self-defense and prompted renewed talk of limits on firearms, according to FBI data.
- Father, we thank You for our second amendment right to bear arms and protect ourselves and our property. Many thought that the Sandy Hook murder of 26 people might benefit gun-control advocates, who would like to disarm the citizenry. However, it appears to have had the opposite effect, of causing those who were thinking of purchasing a gun, to go ahead and get them now. We pray that those who are arming themselves, would also educate themselves as to how to use them safely and responsibly. In You Name we pray, Amen.
- "In righteousness you will be established, far from oppression, with nothing to fear;
far from ruin, for it will not come near you. Any alliance that forms against you will not be My doing; whoever tries to form such an alliance will fall because of you.
No weapon made will prevail against you. In court you will refute every accusation.
The servants of ADONAI inherit all this; the reward for their righteousness is from me," says ADONAI. (Isaiah 54:14,15,17)
4. Illinois Dems advance ban on most modern firearms - FOX
Illinois Senate Democrats advanced legislation late Wednesday to restrict semiautomatic weapons and high-capacity magazines, pressing forward with new gun control measures...over the objections of firearms groups. Amid the developments, the Illinois State Rifle Association issued an "urgent alert" to its members warning them that Democratic legislators were trying to push through last-minute anti-gun legislation.
- Lord, we understand the logic of banning the use of semiautomatic weapons and high-capacity magazines by ordinary citizens, who wish to purchase them. We know that fear of them being used in committing crimes, such as the one in Sandy Hook, is a very real fear. However, we are also concerned that by banning these weapons only the military, and criminals will have them, and the citizenry will be unable to respond to such weapons. Lord, we do pray against the erosion of our right to bear arms. Amen.
- "When a strong person with many weapons guards his own house, his possessions are safe. But when someone stronger comes and defeats him, the stronger one will take away the weapons the first man trusted and will give away the possessions." (Luke 11:21,22)
5. DAR Denies They are Censoring Prayers - Fox News
The Daughters of the American Revolution, one of the nation's oldest patriotic organizations, has erased any mention of Jesus Christ in their official book, removed prayers and poems that reference Christian imagery, and directed members to refrain from praying in the name of Christ, an outraged group of members alleged.
- Abba, we are grieved by this decision of the Daughters of the American Revolution, to remove You and any mention of You from their books. They are literally distancing themselves from the actual women of the American Revolution who like their husbands, our Founding Fathers, loved and honored You. We forgive their attempt to alter history, in favor of being "politically correct". We ask that they would rethink this move, and realize their "error" and correct it. Amen.
- "I tell you, all those who stand before others and say they believe in Me, I, the Son of Man, will say before the angels of God that they belong to Me. But all who stand before others and say they do not believe in Me, I will say before the angels of God that they do not belong to Me." (Luke 12:8,9)
6. Egyptian mag affirms Brotherhood infiltration of White House - Jerusalem Post
Effectively affirming the concerns of five much-maligned Republican House members and the evidence presented in an investigative book, an Egyptian magazine claims six American Muslim leaders who work with the Obama administration are Muslim Brotherhood operatives who have significant influence on U.S. policy.
- Father, we have been concerned about our President's advisors, and certainly this news adds further concern. We pray against these terrorist organizations that have the ear of the President, and have "significant influence" on U.S. policy. We ask that Godly advisors, who excel in wisdom, and relationship with You, would be put into key positions of influence to advise the President, and that he would be open to their wisdom. Lord, we do pray for the salvation of our President and his family, that their hearts would be drawn to You, and that You would make Yourself known to them. Amen.
- "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow His precepts have good understanding.To Him belongs eternal praise." (Psalm 111:10)
7. US unemployment rate holds steady - BBC
The total number of unemployed in the US in December was largely unchanged at 12.2 million.The unemployment rate for November was revised up from 7.7% to 7.8%, the department added. These are the first figures since a short-term deal to stave off the US "fiscal cliff" was reached earlier this week. Failure to agree a deal would have triggered spending cuts and tax rises worth $600bn , which were expected to throw the US back into recession and send the unemployment rate shooting upwards. Still, the deal has only postponed by two months negotiations over spending cuts and the government debt ceiling - a legal cap on its total borrowing set by Congress. If this cap is not raised, the US is set to run out of money by February.
- Lord, we come to You, our Provider, for the answers to this dilemma. We pray that both parties would be willing to cut irresponsible, pork-barrel spending, and set this nation back on a path to fiscal responsibility. We pray that the debt-ceiling not be raised again, but that spending would be reined in. Give Your wisdom, we pray, as to what needs to be cut, and what needs to stay as it is. We ask also for discernment for the members of Congress and our President. May the good of the nation be of paramount concern to all who address this issue, and not their political power or agendas. In Your Name we pray, Amen.
- "Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU," so that we confidently say, "THE LORD IS MY HELPER, I WILL NOT BE AFRAID. WHAT WILL MAN DO TO ME?" (Hebrews 13:5,6)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Not unto us, O LORD, not unto us, but unto Your name give glory, for Your mercy, and for Your truth's sake. Why should the nations say, Where is their God? But our God is in the heavens. He has done whatever He has pleased." (Psalm 115:1-3)
1. Syria 'would not join Iran in war against Israel' - UK Telegraph
Iran's ability to retaliate for any Israeli strike on its nuclear facilities has been "dramatically" reduced by the disintegration of President Bashar al-Assad's regime in Syria, an Israeli intelligence report has said
2. IDF preparing hospitals for chemical attacks - Jerusalem Post
The IDF Home Front Command is preparing all hospitals in Israel for a range of security threats, including large-scale missile attacks and chemical attacks, a senior military source told The Jerusalem Post on Wednesday.
3. 'Lost Tribe's' Return to Israel Fulfilling Prophecy? - CBN News
A "lost tribe" has come home to Israel and the return could be part of biblical prophecy.
4. PM to ambassadors: Iran not yet crossed red line - Jerusalem Post
Iran has not yet crossed the red line that Israel set on its nuclear program, and Israel remains determined to prevent Tehran from acquiring nuclear weapons, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said on Thursday.
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"Oh, let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end, but establish the just; for the righteous God tests the hearts and minds." (Psalm 7:9)
1. Syria Fears Grow over Islamist Atrocities - ASSIST News
Syrian rebels beheaded a Christian man and fed his body to dogs, according to a nun who says the West is ignoring atrocities committed by Islamic extremists. (Read more)
2. Islamist extremists shoot clergyman in Tanzania - ASSIST News
Suspected Islamic extremists on Christmas Day shot a Roman Catholic priest on the Tanzanian island of Zanzibar, seriously wounding him, area church leaders said. (Read more)
3. Iranian Pastor's Christmas Arrest Worries Religious Liberty Advocates - (National Catholic Register)
A Christian pastor who spent nearly three years in an Iranian prison for his religious conversion was reportedly arrested again on Christmas Day, contrary to a previous agreement.
"Iran has historically cracked down on the Christian community over the Christmas season; this year was no exception," said Tiffany Barrans, international legal director at the American Center for Law and Justice, which has been monitoring the case of Pastor Yousef Nadarkhani. (Read more)
4. Burma Government Admits to Bombing Christian Kachin - BosNewsLife
Burma's government admitted Thursday, January 3, that the military is involved in airstrikes against the mainly Christian Kachin (an ethnic group), a week after BosNewsLife and other media carried reports about a massive offensive in the north of the country.
The United States said Wednesday, January 2, the use of air power in Kachin State was "extremely troubling." In Washington, U.S. State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland urged the government and the Kachin rebel group to cease their conflict and begin a real dialogue for peace.
Those comments were reflected by U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon who urged Burma's authorities "to desist from any action that could endanger the lives of civilians living in the area or further intensify the conflict in the region". He also demanded that the rebels work toward political reconciliation. (Read more)
For more news about the Persecuted Church, go to:
www.persecution.com (The Voice of the Martyrs)
Join The Persecution Watch!
Our brother in Christ, Blaine Scogin, is sponsoring conference calls several nights each week, to lift up specific prayer needs for those who are under persecution, worldwide.
You are welcome to join Blaine and his team by contacting him anytime at:
The Daily Jot
The Daily Jot:
Our Role in the end time churches
Yeshua Ha Mashiach, our beloved Jesus Christ, reviews the churches in Revelation 2 and 3. He speaks of those things he hates and those things he likes. For example, He says of the Church in Pergamos, "I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and has not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwells...but I have a few things against thee, because thou has there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam...also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate." Of each of the seven churches he speaks, ending with Laodicea. To these, what is our part? And what do they say about today's church? (Read more here.)
News broke yesterday that Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner plans to step down at the end of the month. That sent many liberal Washington pundits into a near panic. Geithner has been Obama's point man on a number of key fiscal issues.
As Reuters put it, Geithner's departure "puts Obama in a tough spot." Negotiations over the debt ceiling will come to a head within days after he leaves. At the same time, Obama is losing Hillary Clinton at State, Leon Panetta at Defense and Lisa Jackson at EPA. There is widespread speculation that Attorney General Eric Holder will step down soon as well.
By the way, while it is assumed that John Kerry's nomination for Secretary of State will sail through the Senate, it should not. Kerry's foreign policy views deserve thorough scrutiny. After all, do we really want someone as Secretary of State who accused our soldiers of terrorizing women and children and who suggested they were stupid?
John Kerry once called Israel's security fence "a barrier to peace." And yet he referred to Bashar al-Assad's Syria as "an essential player in bringing peace and stability to the region."
I think America can do better. I also believe we can do better than Chuck Hagel as Secretary of Defense. Obama has not yet formally nominated Hagel, and the bi-partisan opposition to his possible appointment only continues to grow. So much so, in fact, that MSNBC's Chuck Todd predicted this morning that Obama would ultimately drop him. That said, there is also a report today that Obama may send Hagel's nomination to the Senate as early as Monday. . .
Far be it from me to give Barack Obama advice on his cabinet. But I would respectfully suggest that if the president is truly interested in appointing well-respected leaders who could quickly secure bi-partisan support, perhaps he should consider former Senator Joseph Lieberman for either Secretary of State or Defense. (Gary Bauer)
Planned Parenthood's X Factor
Planned Parenthood's X Factor
903. That's how many children are aborted by Planned Parenthood every single day. That's one baby--one unique, God-created life and future--erased every 96 seconds. In 800 clinics across America, the body count keeps growing--thanks in part to the staggering amount of money that Congress is funneling to Cecile Richards's group. Americans have known for years that their government is a major shareholder in the international abortion business. What they didn't know--until recently--was how much Planned Parenthood relies on unwilling taxpayers to keep their grisly operation afloat.
Based on its annual report, Richards's group rakes in almost half of its budget (46%) from federal, state, and local grants. The government's contributions are a whopping $487.4 million, mostly from Title X funds. Of course, Planned Parenthood is quick to point out that, by law, none of those dollars can directly finance abortions. But by paying the clinics' other bills--like overhead--there's no telling how many millions of dollars the government is freeing up for Planned Parenthood to pursue the darkest side of its business.
And, as of New Year's Day, abstaining from abortion is no longer an option for Richards's clinics. In its words, " . . . [Planned Parenthood Federation of America] does not provide abortion care itself, but its member affiliates offer that service throughout the United States, and as of January 2013, all member-affiliates will be required to do so."
That makes what Rep. Diane Black (R-Tenn.) is proposing all the more important. Today, the Tennessee Congresswoman introduced a bill that would stop HHS from wiring "family planning funds" to abortion businesses under Title X unless they certify that they won't provide or refer for abortions. That eliminates Planned Parenthood altogether, now that Richards is ordering affiliates to offer the procedure. Rep. Black, who led this fight as far back as 2011, is hoping to build on the support her former colleague, Gov. Mike Pence, won for the legislation in previous Congresses.
Obviously, Planned Parenthood isn't the only abortion company that receives Title X funds, but it's certainly the largest. And since abortion still makes up a jaw-dropping 91% of Planned Parenthood's services for pregnant women, it's time for Congress to put some meaningful distance between taxpayers and the Left's "health care." You can help by contacting your representative and asking him to co-sponsor Rep. Black's Title X Abortion Provider Prohibition Act. (Family Research Council)
New From FRC
Something Special Is in the Air--and on It!
Starting this Monday, you can get your daily fix of FRC in our new daily radio show, "Washington Watch with Tony Perkins." Live from 5:00-6:00 p.m. (ET) every Monday through Friday, we'll be offering our unique perfective on inside-the-beltway news on the American Family Radio (AFR) network and other stations. Don't miss the exciting launch January 7 by listening live on AFR, TonyPerkins.com, or Sky Angel (channel #114). Our first weeks' guests include Gov. Mike Huckabee, Sen. Pat Toomey, Rep. Jim Jordan, Sen. David Vitter, Dr. David Jeremiah, Dr. Russell D. Moore, and others! For a list of stations near you, click here.
> > > Tune in to Washington Watch Weekly with Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.), who drops by to talk about the new Congress, as well as his new role as Chairman of the Republican Study Committee. Also, Freshman Congressman Jim Bridenstine (R-Okla.) will be on the show to talk about his goals for the House. For more information or to find a radio station near you, visit FRCRadio.org.
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner
13 Year Old Girl Comes Back from the Dead!
During morning prayers in the ATK Nakivumbi church, Sania's sister came in running and said "Sania has just died! She was taken to the hospital for treatment, and she died." The hospital declared her dead and released the body to be taken home for burial. She was dead 45 minutes . . . She was taken back to the hospital to certify the records that she was now alive. (Read more)
Worship with Us Today!
Worship with Us Today!
There is None Like You
Written by: Lenny LeBlanc
THERE IS NONE LIKE YOU
NO ONE ELSE CAN TOUCH MY HEART LIKE YOU DO
I COULD SEARCH FOR ALL ETERNITY LONG,
AND FIND THERE IS NONE LIKE YOU(x2)