Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Tuesday, January 22, 2013
40 YEARS OF ROE V. WADE
"I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. So choose life in order that you may live, you and your descendants." (Dt. 30:19)
Guidelines for today's American Prayer Initiative can be found by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. Netanyahu, allies narrowly cling to victory in Israeli election - Fox News
In a stunning setback, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's hard-line bloc fared worse than expected in a parliamentary election Tuesday, exit polls showed, possibly forcing the incumbent Israeli leader to invite surprisingly strong moderate rivals into his government and soften his line toward the Palestinians. Addressing cheering supporters early Wednesday, Netanyahu pledged to work for a broad-based government. Also he said, he would show "responsibility in striving for a genuine peace." Read more.
- Pray that the Lord would tune Bibi's heart to His, and that He would anoint Bibi with fresh oil to enable him to walk through the challenges of leadership ahead.
- "In the Lord's hand the king's heart is a stream of water that he channels toward all who please him." (Prov. 21:1)
2. Presidential inauguration: Obama lays out battle plan for second term- Chicago Tribune
A confident President Barack Obama kicked off his second term on Monday with an impassioned call for a more inclusive America that rejects partisan rancor and embraces immigration reform, gay rights and the fight against climate change.
- Father, we pray a visitation by Your Holy Spirit upon Mr. Obama during this second term. May You direct his heart and his ambitions. He has devised many plans, but we ask You to intervene in his life.
- In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. (Proverbs 16:9)
3. Jonathan Cahn Speaks at Presidential Inaugural Prayer Breakfast - CHPP
Jonathan Cahn, author of The Harbinger, was the keynote speaker at yesterday's Presidential Inaugural Prayer Breakfast. Addressing an audience of almost 900 Christians, Cahn challenged the President to call the nation to repentance, just as did President Abraham Lincoln -- the president Obama seems to admire the most.
To hear Cahn's remarks, go here [Note: the entire program lasts 2:45 minutes. To listen to Cahn's speech, begin at the 12:44 minute mark.]
- President Obama was not present at this prayer breakfast. Please stand in the gap for our head of state as he begins his second term of office, and ask our Lord to make a way for him to hear the anointed and prophetic word delivered by Jonathan Cahn. Thank you.
- "I am the LORD, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me?" (Jer. 32:27)
4. Clinton to Testify Before Congress on Benghazi - VOA
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will finally testify before Congress tomorrow about September's deadly attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya. Clinton will appear before the House Foreign Affairs Committee on January 23. She was to have appeared last month, but illness forced the delay.
- Father, we thank You for restoring the health of Secretary of State Clinton, and we ask that the testimony she gives will be a true representation of what really happened in Benghazi, Libya in September, and why it happened. We ask that You, the One Who exposes the darkness, will make the facts clear, so that such an incident can be avoided in the future. We pray that more efficient safe-guards will be adopted that will protect all our embassies world-wide. We thank You for that wisdom, that You alone can give. Amen.
- "But if any of you needs wisdom, you should ask God for it. He is generous to everyone and will give you wisdom without criticizing you." (James 1:5)
5. Abortion battle rages 40 years after Roe decision - Washington Times
Forty years ago, a poor, anonymous, pregnant woman called "Jane Roe" stepped forward to attack a Texas state law banning abortion.
- After 40 years, we have now witnessed the holocaust of the deaths of 60 million unborn babies -- an entire generation. May God yet have mercy on this nation, as we ask for and demand an end to this sin this year. It is time to "cross over" into a new day for America. Pray for the overturning of Roe v. Wade.
- "Assemble before me all the elders of your tribes and all your officials, so that I can speak these words in their hearing and call heaven and earth to testify against them." (Dt. 31:28)
"Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees. . ." (Isa. 10:1)
6. Nebraska governor approves revised Keystone pipeline route - Fox News
Nebraska Gov. Dave Heineman notified the Obama administration Tuesday that he has approved the controversial Keystone XL Pipeline to traverse his state, marking a significant step toward reviving the project after President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton sidelined it. The Republican governor approved a revised route for the Canada-to-Texas pipeline which his office said would avoid environmentally sensitive areas. Read more.
- Offer a chorus of praise this evening for this action by Nebraska Governor Dave Heineman. Pray that the implementation of this new directive would proceed smoothly, and come against any plans by the enemy to delay or obstruct the construction of this pipeline. Praise the Lord!
- "Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven." (Matthew 18:19)
7. No deal in U.N.-Iran nuclear talks, new meeting scheduled - Yahoo News
U.N. nuclear inspectors returned from Iran on Friday without securing an agreement to investigate suspected atom bomb research, they said after two days of talks in Tehran. Herman Nackaerts, deputy director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), said his inspectors had not been granted the access they have long sought to a military site and that further talks had been scheduled for February 12.
- Abba, again, we come to You on behalf of Your people, Israel, and, in fact, our nation as well. With a "crazed" man at the helm in Iran, desiring to have another world war, and a return of their Muslim messiah, this nation is a thorn in the side of the entire world. We ask that the nations would "rein in" this terror and threats of nuclear weapons, which could, theoretically, destroy the entire globe. We ask You to give the UN wisdom, as to how to deal with this threat. We also ask that You would reveal these weapons' locations, and enable the destruction of them, we pray. Amen.
- "He brings the changes of seasons and times; He installs and deposes kings; He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those with discernment. He reveals deep and secret things; He knows what lies in the darkness; and light dwells with Him." (Daniel 2:21,22)
8. Iran says it won't stop uranium enrichment 'for a moment' - Times of Israel
An Iranian diplomat says Tehran will not stop uranium enrichment "for a moment," defying demands from the UN and world powers to halt its suspect nuclear program.
- Lord, we pray that the leader of Iran would obey the counsel and warnings of the world leaders and stop a nuclear plan that could lead to weapons. We pray for a change of heart and mind for the leader that he would not be a fool. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen
- The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that harkeneth unto counsel is wise. (Proverbs 12:15)
9. Assad's overthrow "red line" for Iran: supreme leader's aide - UK Telegraph
A senior aide to Iran's supreme leader warned against the overthrow of Syria's President Bashar al-Assad, saying hifate was a "red line", in one of the Islamic state's strongest messages of support for the Damascus government.
- Lord, we pray for the leaders of these two countries and for those who are fighting and supporting fighting. We pray that You would give revelation on how to depart from evil and how to seek peace and pursue it.
- Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it. (Proverbs 34:14)
10. Is martial law imminent? - The Examiner
A somewhat disturbing ad recently appeared on internet employment sites, the ad in question was placed by the National Guard. Apparently, the Guard is now looking for people to work at internment camps. Here is the ad as it appeared: "As an Internment/Resettlement Specialist for the Army National Guard, you will ensure the smooth running of military confinement/correctional facility or detention/internment facility, similar to those duties conducted by civilian Corrections Officers. This will require you to know proper procedures and military law; and have the ability to think quickly in high-stress situations. Read more.
Obama only wants military leaders who 'will fire on U.S. citizens' - The Examiner
"The new litmus test of leadership in the military is if they will fire on US citizens or not." Those who will not are being removed. Read more.
- Pray that Congress will rise up and contest this trend. We still have three branches of government in this nation, and a Constitution. Decree that the spirit of LAW rules over the Spirit of lawlessness in our land, and stand in faith -- not fear -- as we witness reports like these in the days ahead.
- "For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (2 Timothy 1:7)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"You, O God, sent a plentiful rain, by which You upheld Your inheritance when it was weary." (Psalm 68:9)
1. UN chief blames Israel for Arab world stagnation - Times of Israel
United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Monday appeared to hold Israel partially responsible for lack of progress in the Arab world.
2. Iron Dome tested ahead of overhaul - Ynet News
The defense establishment has been conducting a series of tests in recent days as part of a plan to upgrade the Iron Dome aerial defense system.
3. Defense Ministry tests 'upgraded' Iron Dome - Jerusalem Post The Defense Ministry is holding a series of tests of
an upgraded version of the Iron Dome rocket defense system, together with manufacturer Rafael Advanced Defense systems.
4. Jerusalem Temple makes appearance as election topic - Israel Today
Amid all the pre-election arguing over diplomatic, security and economic issues, the rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem made a brief appearance as a topic of fiery debate between two Israeli candidates.
5. Would-be MK says he was joking about 'blown up' Muslim shrine - Times of Israel
Center-left party leaders Tzipi Livni and Yair Lapid castigated Naftali Bennett's Jewish Home party on Saturday as including dangerous extremists. They both focused on a 2011 speech in Florida by American-born Jeremy Gimpel, 14th on the Jewish Home list, in which he apparently rejoiced at the possibility of the Dome of Rock on the Temple Mount being blown up, and the cornerstone of a third Jewish Temple laid in its place.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Corin. 12:10)
1. U.S. pastor faces trial in Iran for Christian faith - Washington Times
State Department looks the other way
As this is being written, Saeed Abedini, an American citizen and evangelical pastor, sits in an Iranian jail awaiting his trial. The expected ruling is death, for charges which are presumed to be related to his Christian faith. The State Department, which works closely with the Organization of Islamic Cooperation to stamp out "intolerance" and "Islamophobia" against Muslims in America, has been virtually silent about Mr. Abedini's predicament in Iran, one of the member states of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation. Read more.
2. Indonesia--Church Closed in Bandung - VOM
Officials in Bandung, Indonesia, have closed the Indonesia Christian Huria Church (HKI), forcing its 200 members to worship elsewhere. On Oct. 23, 2012, Bandung's vice regent ordered authorities to seal the HKI building after prominent area Muslims pressured residents to withdraw approval for the church building. They posted a sign on the front of the building reading, "This building . . . is sealed. Read more.
3. Turkey--Men Attacked While Distributing Bibles - VOM
wo Christian men distributing Bibles in a busy shopping district of Istanbul were attacked and severely injured on Jan. 4, 2013. Paramedics took the injured men to the hospital, and police arrested two suspects in the attack. However, the two Christian men disappeared the same evening, and their whereabouts are unknown. . . Read more.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
ON THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF ROE v WADE
ON THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF ROE v WADE
By Matt Lockett, Director
I have been in Washington, DC for nearly eight years, and I have seen January 22nd come and go numerous times. It is the anniversary of Roe v Wade, and each year I have grown more and more grieved over the great loss that it represents. What makes this one far more significant than all the others is that today marks exactly 40 years since the Supreme Court released the infamous decision that codified a culture of death. It sealed the deal to fundamentally shift the nation at the federal level, and for 40 years it has enjoyed the status of settled law. To many it is revered like an idol.
There needs to be a fresh baptism of confidence for everyone praying and laboring for the ending of abortion. Without it the next steps forward may be too difficult to take. The Apostle Paul cautioned Timothy to lay hold of his prophetic promises as he fought through times of discouragement and doubt. The result would be faith that is strengthened in adversity and a conscience that is clear. Standing on truth, the prophetic promises become weapons in our hands as we cling to them with white knuckles. Their declaration into the atmosphere and utterance in prayer infuse the Lord's will for the alternative future into what Walter Wink describes as the "suffocating atmosphere of the present."
Timothy, my son, I give you this instruction in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by following them you may fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. (1 Timothy 1:18-19)
For the past 21 days I have been intently seeking the Lord in a special way contending for the ending of abortion and firm footing for the future. The prophet Daniel saw the spiritual reality of breakthrough come after 21 days of fasting and prayer (Daniel 10). For these 21 days I coupled fasting along with a night watch of prayer (midnight to 3AM) that I felt the Lord specifically called me into. I did this in private along with a few staff from the Justice House of Prayer DC and Bound4LIFE as well as a couple of close friends.
A few really encouraging things happened during these 21 days. One of the most significant things came in the form of a news story out of Mississippi. Last year state legislators passed a law requiring abortion physicians to have hospital admitting privileges. None of the doctors working in the state's sole abortion center did. A deadline was set for them to comply, and on January 11 they failed to meet the new standard. Abortion center administrator Diane Derzis said every Jackson-area hospital where they applied for privileges said, "No." Mississippi is now on track to become the first abortion-free state.
As I read about the Mississippi story and held it before the Lord over the next couple of nights the part about the missed "deadline" began to explode in my spirit and prayers. A time limit had been set, and abortion was surrounded on every side by a group saying, "NO!"
I felt the Lord declaring to me that he has a time table. There are moments when God's deadlines become our reality. President Lincoln understood this when he described slavery to the nation as "having continued through His (God's) appointed time" and that "He (God) now wills to remove" it. My posture during these 21 days has been to appeal to heaven's court for a verdict on abortion in favor of the saints. Even when little foreseeable opportunity exists to the naked eye, I believe God has initiated spiritual momentum to release his justice. . .
. . . Let us recommit ourselves at this 40-year mark with a willingness and determination to cross over into God's prophetic promises. I know I have my own promises that I'm laying hold of with a fierce grip. You have yours as well, and they are weapons in your hands. Together, let's ask God to synchronize our watches with his divine deadline. Let's declare with increased faith that 40 years of Roe v Wade may look like a mile stone, but it's actually the end of the line. We will no longer tolerate the enemy's tampering with the weights that has robbed us of a right measure of human value. We need God to reset our standards and purge us of the deceptive weights. Proverbs 16:11 says, "Honest scales and balances are from the Lord; all the weights in the bag are of his making." I am looking for revival and great awakening to visit this nation like never before. The kairos clock is ticking.
Please join with me,
[This is an excerpt of Matt's article. To read this in its entirety, go here.]
- On this critical day, we want to honor Bound4LIFE and their work at the United States Supreme Court. We thank our Lord for the many youth (and adults) who have spent countless hours standing at this gate of authority, with their lips sealed for LIFE. May our Lord bless each and every one, and may this indeed be the year that the cries of the saints are heard.
- "This is what the LORD says: 'Restrain your voice from weeping and your eyes from tears, for your work will be rewarded,' declares the LORD. "They will return from the land of the enemy." (Jer. 31:16)
A Reason to Be Encouraged
A Reason to Be Encouraged in the Fight for Life
1500 Abortion Clinic Closures Since 1991
On the 40th anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion, pro-lifers have something to celebrate: the closure of 1,500 abortion clinics over the past 22 years.
In 1991 there were 2,176 surgical abortion clinics nationwide; today there are 660 and falling.
Over 1,500 abortion clinics, 70% of the total, have closed their doors for good.
In 2012, an average of 7 abortion clinics closed each month.
"Abortion has been legal for 40 years this month, and 57 million babies have paid with their lives. While the pro-life movement has not ended all abortions yet, it has made some significant progress." said Ken Brady, president of Planned Childhood Life.
Five states, Arkansas, Mississippi, Wyoming, North and South Dakota, have only one clinic each. . . (American Rights Coalition) Read more.
ACTION POINTS AND PRAYER POINTS FROM THE REFORMATION PRAYER NETWORK
- According to the American Rights Coalition, only 12% of all the counties in America still have abortion clinics. This is a manageable target for concentrated prayer. Find the one in your county and begin to cover it with prayer.
- Pray that a passion and value for life would sweep over our country again. (Deuteronomy 30:19)
- Pray for all lies surrounding the abortion industry and agenda to be fully exposed. (John 8:32)
- Pray for the hearts of abortionists to be moved to repentance, that they would walk away from this practice, find the grace of their Father, and begin new lives. (Acts 3:19)
- Pray for the overturning of Roe v. Wade. (Isaiah 10:1)
The Power Of Our Potential
The Power Of Our Potential
Listening to the most pro-abortion president in history quote the Declaration's self-evident, unalienable rights -- the first of which is LIFE -- was hard to stomach. And, of course, today is the 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade.
Roe v. Wade is based on the same misguided philosophy as Dred Scott -- that some humans are not "people" with rights we are bound to respect. There is considerable irony that the first president of color, a supposed constitutional scholar no less, refuses to see this.
But I have confidence that the day is coming when every child will be welcomed into the world and protected under the law. The abortion-rights movement has spent the last 40 years trying to "normalize" abortion, and it is only now acknowledging the failure of those efforts. You can read more about this in my latest Human Events column.
I also hope you will take a moment to watch a brief video produced by my non-profit group American Values celebrating the potential of each life. Please share it with friends and family members. Tweet it and post it to your Facebook page. (Gary Bauer)
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
A Reason to be Encouraged . . .
> > > Please read the article, above, and join with us in praising God for this GOOD NEWS REPORT today, and for the millions of babies whose lives have been spared. Praise the Lord.
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are!
Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
"Stricken, Smitten, and Afflicted"
by Fernando Ortega
Stricken, smitten, and afflicted,
See Him dying on the tree!
'Tis the Christ by man rejected;
Yes, my soul, 'tis He, 'tis He!
'Tis the long-expected prophet,
David's Son, yet David's Lord;
By His Son, God now has spoken
Tis the true and faithful Word.