Please join us tonight
by praying in the Spirit while
the president addresses the
nation at 9:00 p.m. EDT.
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Praying the Word of God . . .
in the Will of God . . .
over the Issues of the Day
Tuesday, September 10, 2013
"Rend your heart and not your garments. . ." (Joel 2:13)
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting that your name be added to our list of subscribers.
VISIT OUR BLOG!
CHPP's blog includes archives of past editions of all of our alerts, as well as features on praying for the government, Israel, and other key issues.
Come visit us by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. Obama: Russian offer on Syria's chemical arms a potential 'breakthrough' - Haaretz
U.S. President Barack Obama, seeking to boost support for military action against Syria, said on Monday that Russia's offer to work with Damascus to put its chemical weapons under international control could be a breakthrough - if it is serious. "This could potentially be a significant breakthrough," Obama told NBC News in an interview. "But we have to be skeptical because this is not how we've seen them operate over the last couple of years." The president said a breakthrough on control of Syrian chemical weapons would not solve "the underlying terrible conflict inside of Syria. But if we can accomplish this limited goal without taking military action, that would be my preference."
- Father, thank You for this turn of events. We do pray for a peaceful solution to this issue. We intercede for the right plan of action by our leaders. We plead Grace and Mercy over these decisions. Protect us Lord from wrong decisions. In Jesus Name.
- But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. (James 1:5)
2. Reid delays Senate vote on Syria - The Hill
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) on Monday delayed a vote on using military force against Syria. Faced with stiffening opposition from Republicans and skepticism from many Democrats, Reid said he would not rush the vote to begin considering the controversial use-of-force resolution.
- Lord, thank You for this delay. Father, use this delay to bring more clarity and creative plans to the forefront. May Your will be done in the Syrian conflict. Raise up men and women to come forth full of the spirit of wisdom. May our leaders listen to these men and women because the Spirit of God is upon them.
- Now Joshua son of Nun was full of the spirit of wisdom, for Moses had laid his hands on him. So the people of Israel obeyed him, doing just as the LORD had commanded Moses. (Deuteronomy 34:9)
3. Russia cancels Syria lobbying mission to D.C.; More Russian war ships reportedly head for Mediterranean - CBS News
The speaker of Russia's national legislature said Friday that a plan to send a parliamentary delegation to Washington to try and convince U.S. lawmakers that a unilateral military intervention in Syria would be unwarranted and counterproductive had been cancelled.
- Lord, we pray for Russia and U.S. leaders in this Syria crisis. We pray that they will not meddle with military in a strife that is not theirs. We also pray for deception to be exposed and truth to come forth as legislators, military leaders, intelligence analysts, and other leaders work to resolve the problems in Syria. May people no longer be allowed to deceive their neighbors and nations. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- "He that passes by, and meddles with strife belonging not to him is like one that takes a dog by the ears. As a mad man who casts firebrands, arrows, and death, so is the man that deceives his neighbor." (Proverbs 26:17-18)
4. Iran Plots Revenge, U.S. Says - Wall Street Journal
The U.S. has intercepted an order from Iran to militants in Iraq to attack the U.S. Embassy and other American interests in Baghdad in the event of a strike on Syria, officials said, amid an expanding array of reprisal threats across the region.
- Lord, we thank You for threats that have been exposed so far and pray that all others will be revealed. We are sorry for our ungodliness and pray You would deliver us from evil. We also pray for our enemies as You told us to do. You are a just God and we trust You to punish the unjust. We pray for protection of our interests overseas, of innocent people, and especially for Your people in the region, especially in Baghdad and Iraq where people have died to give them freedom. May the liberty that has been obtained be preserved. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- "The Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished." (2 Peter 2:9)
5. Syria chemical weapons attack not ordered by Assad, says German press - UK Guardian
President Bashar al-Assad did not personally order last month's chemical weapons attack near Damascus that has triggered calls for US military intervention, and blocked numerous requests from his military commanders to use chemical weapons against regime opponents in recent months, a German newspaper has reported, citing unidentified, high-level national security sources.
- Lord, we ask You to protect the word of truth by Your power in this situation. There have been evil and good reports about Hafez Assad, and there is something so very wrong in Syria. We intercede on behalf of the unrighteous, that they would have a change of heart and come to righteousness under the power of the God who can protect them. Also we pray that more in the media will get and print the word of truth. In the name of Jesus, the Truth, we pray. Amen.
- "By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armor of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, by honor and dishonor, by evil report and good report." (2 Corinthians 6:7-8)
6. Amash: 'If Americans could read classified docs, they'd be even more against Syria action' - Daily Caller
Rep. Justin Amash, an outspoken opponent of U.S. intervention in the Syrian civil war, has taken to Twitter to voice his opposition to military intervention. Concurrently, the Michigan Republican warns the American people of misleading claims being made by the Obama administration.
- Lord, we thank You for Rep. Amash and pray for him. We pray a hedge of protection around him, his family, his Twitters and other voicings that he has, such as in Congress. May he be covered with the blood of Jesus. May the right people hear and receive his warnings. Raise up more with his courage to take a stand. Let wise counsel arise in this country and let people know and take it. May the Holy Spirit, our counselor, move across the land. We ask for and thank You for your counsel. In the name of Jesus. Amen.
- "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful." (Psalms 1:1)
7. Benghazi anniversary hurts White House push to win Syria support - Fox News
The Obama administration's effort Sunday to win support for a punitive military strike on Syria is facing opposition and criticism in part because of its handling of the fatal Benghazi terror attacks, which occurred one year ago Wednesday.
- Lord, as we pray on 9/11 bring to the nation's minds not only the World Trade Center and the war against evil that we are in, but also the inexcusable way Obama and his administration have handled Benghazi, as well as how the media has handled this tragedy. Lord, have mercy on this country, help turn us back to You, guide us, protect us. Help us raise up and choose faithful, godly leaders. Forgive us for not praying for our leaders more. May we again become united again as the day after 9/11 when so many got the message "United we stand, divided we fall".
- "Confidence in an unfaithful man in time of trouble is like a broken tooth, and a foot out of joint." (Proverbs 25:19)
8. NSA Can Spy on Smart Phone Data - Spiegel
SPIEGEL has learned from internal NSA documents that the US intelligence agency has the capability of tapping user data from the iPhone, devices using Android as well as BlackBerry, a system previously believed to be highly secure.
- Lord, we pray that this spying continue to be exposed and brought under Your control. Let none of the data be used to bring people into bondage. We pray that intelligence agencies would only be allowed to do what is necessary and right to protect the nation as they are supposed to. You are the one who gives us liberty and sets us free. We pray that we will have a new birth of liberty in Christ Jesus. In the name of Jesus we ask. Amen.
- "That because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage." (Galatians 2:4)
9. Syria's Parliament Sends Letter to House Speaker John Boehner - CHPP
Friends in Syria have confirmed that a letter has been sent from Syria's Parliament to our Congress, in advance of an attack upon their nation by the United States. In that document, their own Speaker pleas that, instead of an attack, our two nations will join forces to fight terrorism . . . especially al Qaeda and the Muslim Brotherhood. To read this dramatic letter, go here.
- Father God, we ask You to move upon the heart of House Speaker John Boehner as he responds to this request by his counterpart in the government of Syria. We ask, too, for this action to occur in the Senate, under Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid. We ask You to help our leaders extend this measure of grace to our "enemies," and to listen carefully to their pleas. In Jesus' Name, we ask this prayer, amen.
- "First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." (I Timothy 2:1-4)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?" (Genesis 18:25b)
1. Russian report: Syrian rebels planning chem. attack on Israel - Ynet News
Arabic-language Russian news site Rusiya Al-Yaum has reported that Syrian rebels are planning a chemical attack on Israel.
2. New Israeli Oil Find near Gaza Could Drive Hamas, Abbas into War - Jewish Press
A new oil discovery in southern Israel might turn out to be the catalyst for an internal and self-destructive war in the Palestinian Authority, with Hamas in Gaza and chairman Mahmoud Abbas in Ramallah likely to claim ownership of a new Israeli offshore oil discovery near Ashdod.
3. What is Israel's interest in Syria? - Jerusalem Post
What is Israel's interest in Syria and the possibility of a US-led attack? Israel's current policy seems to be to stay out of it unless any red lines are crossed, at which point it would act covertly to deal with the threat.
4. Gold treasure trove unearthed at base of Temple Mount - Times of Israel
Hebrew University researchers on Monday announced the discovery of a rare trove of Byzantine-era gold and silver artifacts, the most impressive of which is a 10-centimeter solid gold medallion emblazoned with a menorah and other Jewish iconography.
5. Russia reportedly reprimands Israel for Mediterranean missile test - Jerusalem Post
The IDF has declined to comment on reports that Russia reprimanded the military attaches of Israel and the US following a missile defense drill held over the Mediterranean Sea last week.
6. Palestinian Authority takes $148M from US, doles out 'grants' to convicted terrorists - Fox News
The Palestinian Authority is doling out millions of dollars in cash grants to convicted terrorists recently released from Israeli prisons in a program announced the same day as the P.A. accepted $148 million in the latest round of U.S. aid.
7. Pro-Israel lobby facing uphill climb to muster Syria strike support - Times of Israel
Of all the interests backing President Barack Obama's call for Congress to authorize military strikes on Syria, perhaps none is more concerned about the prospect of a "no" vote than America's pro-Israel lobby, which is finding it difficult to overcome widespread opposition to the use of force.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34:18)
After More Than 10 Years of Hardship, Iraqi Christian Calls it Quits on Iraq - Christian Science Monitor
Fatin Yousef endured the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, the outbreak of fierce Sunni-Shiite fighting in 2006, and an uptick in militant attacks after US troops withdrew in December 2011.
As a Christian, she faced even more persecution than the average Iraqi. But while roughly half of Iraq's estimated 1 million Christians fled the country, she stayed put for a decade - until this summer.
Three weeks ago, Ms. Yousef finally left her country for good, taking refuge in Amman with her teenage daughter and elderly mother. Among her extended family of about 60 relatives, only one remains in Iraq.
Her story could not be independently verified by the Monitor but it is consistent with the accounts of other Iraqi Christian refugees, illustrating the persistent threat faced by one of the world's oldest Christian communities, distinct but not disconnected from the widespread suffering of Iraqis of all backgrounds.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
The Madison Report
The Madison Report
Fellow Conservative Patriots,
This week Congress returns from its summer recess to reconvene one of the most consequential sessions in years. With the government funding deadline looming at the end of the month, and the debt ceiling being breeched around Mid-October, the next few weeks will serve as the Waterloo for the GOP Establishment. Conservatives throughout the country are united in the effort to use our leverage in the budget Continuing Resolution (CR) to defund Obamacare. The establishment is undermining that effort, while concurrently helping Obama distract from the impending Obamacare disaster with extraneous issues. GOP leaders are about to pass a war resolution for an ill-advised half-baked military campaign on behalf of one side of an Islamic civil war in Syria. The next few months will be critical in the battle for the heart and soul of the Republican Party.
Syria - At a time when we should be debating the future of our country as Obamacare begins to take effect, we are caught debating a war resolution over Obama's plans to get involved in the Syrian civil war. This week the Senate will debate S.J.Res. 21, a resolution authorizing the president to use force, sans ground troops, against the Bashar Assad regime over the next 90 days. Last week, the Senate Foreign Relations Committee passed the resolution by a 10-7 vote, with Republicans John McCain, Jeff Flake, and Ranking Member Bob Corker joining most Democrats in support of the Syrian strike.
1.Taking Sides in Islamic Civil War: It is simply unconscionable that we would risk American lives and money on one side of an Islamic civil war of which the outcome does not affect our national interests. Both sides are arch enemies of us and our allies. Bashar Assad is backed by Iran and Russia while the rebels are comprised primarily of an eclectic group of Al-Qaeda and Muslim Brotherhood fighters. These rebels are supported by the Islamic regime in Turkey. This is a prime opportunity for our enemies to self-destruct. Why would we possibly tip the scales to one side?
2. No Objective: Aside for the fact that we have nothing to gain from such intervention, it is unclear what we would accomplish from some targeted air strikes. The death of civilians is a sad reality of any civil war, and a temporary strike on Assad would not stop the long-term fatalities that will continue to result from atrocities committed by both terrorist factions. As for chemical weapons, it is unclear that only Assad's forces have used them, and as long as they are not brought outside the country, there is no purpose in attacking one side for using them. Are we prepared to get involved in every civil war in which one of the bad actors uses those weapons?
3. Distraction from Obamacare: Perhaps, the biggest casualty of this deleterious distraction is that the country will be focused on this foreign operation for the next few weeks - a time that must be spent fighting Obamacare. Moreover, Obama is attempting to foment a "rally around the commander-in-chief" dynamic to blunt any offensive against Obamacare in the budget bill.
In both houses of Congress there are two factions who oppose the Syrian escapade: liberals who consistently oppose the use of military force and conservatives who understand that this is not our fight. The establishment elements of both parties are uniting behind this bipartisan blunder. Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, John Boehner, and Eric Cantor have all signed off on the Syria strike. Amazingly, Mitch McConnell, the Senate GOP leader, has refused to offer his views on the issue. The fact that the GOP leader is not leading the fight against this travesty is opening the door for Obama and Reid to whip up enough Republican votes to get to 60.
However, the resolution faces a much tougher path in the House where well over half of the GOP conference is in opposition, in conjunction with a number of progressive House members. [The Washington Post has a full breakdown of the whip count.] Conservatives need to watch out for phony compromises that water down the resolution but continue to waste our time on this illogical intervention.
Republicans should refuse to consider this resolution and immediately begin fighting Obamacare in the CR. This war is illogical, inconsistent, and unpopular. It would be bad politics and bad policy for Republicans to afford Obama this distraction for even one more day.
The Daily Jot
The face of the White House--backed Beast government
When the al Nursa Front (translated: Muslim Brotherhood-backed al Qaeda) first took over the ancient Christian village of Maaloula, they posted on YouTube a video of the commander saying, "We cleansed Maaloula from all the Assad dogs and all his thugs." The UK Telegraph reports when al Nursa took the village, a Christian factory owner disappeared and others were held at gunpoint as rebels demanded they convert to Islam. al Nursa is the most effective fighting group associated with the Free Syrian Army. Last year the US Treasury imposed sanctions on leaders of al Nursa and the State Department blacklisted it as a foreign terror organization linked to al Qaeda. These are the fighters the White House is supporting.
The Free Syrian Army denies these reports of forced conversions and Christian persecution, saying al Nursa's goal is to protect the residents of the village. As more information surfaces about the battle over Maaloula, however, the more it appears that the White House is backing brutal terrorists who violate human rights at will. In the al Nursa occupied area, the Telegraph reports that Christians are not allowed to farm their land without being accompanied by a Muslim resident of the village. Moreover, the takeover of the village appears to have an international Islamic composition as residents reported dialects "ranging from Tunisian to Libyan, from Moroccan to Chechen."
Breitbart reported September 9, "The village of Maaloula has been taken over by Syrian rebels associated with al Qaeda, who have stormed the Christian center and offered local Christians a choice: conversion or death. A resident of the town said the rebels shouted "Allahu Akhbar" as they moved through the village, and proceeded to assault Christian homes and churches. "They shot and killed people," he said. "I heard gunshots and then I saw three bodies lying in the middle of a street in the old quarters of the village. Where is [sic the US President] to see what has befallen us?" Another witness stated, "I saw the militants grabbing five villagers and threatening them and saying, 'Either you convert to Islam, or you will be beheaded.'"
These accounts may indicate the depth and range of the Muslim Brotherhood's move to establish the worldwide Islamic Caliphate. It is international in nature as many nationalities move to hotspots such as Libya, Egypt and Syria to fight on behalf of the cause. They are strengthened by public and clandestine support from the White House. But moreover, this small Christian village could be a picture of what the end time Beast government will look like. Revelation 20:4 says, "and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast. . . " The rebel's quote, "Either you convert to Islam, or you will be beheaded," could be the image of what is to come. And an American president is giving it life.
UK Telegraph article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/10289944/Syria-crisis-al-Qaeda-seizes-village-that-still-speaks-the-ancient-language-of-Christ.html
Breitbart article: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2013/09/09/Maaloula-Syria-rebels
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
From Joel Rosenberg
DO ISAIAH 17 & JEREMIAH 49 FORETELL DESTRUCTION OF DAMASCUS?
. . . As the implosion of Syria accelerates, the question of what Bible prophecy says about the future of Syria is being asked more frequently. During the horrific civil war that is underway there, more than 110,000 Syrians have been killed thus far, including, reportedly, through the use of chemical weapons in Damascus. More than two million Syrians have fled their country. Another five million more Syrians have been "internally displaced" -- they have fled their homes and villages because of the brutal violence, but have not yet actually left their country. The country is steadily falling apart and there is a real question how in the world Syria would ever be put back together.
The larger question is whether the situation will actually go from bad to worse. Does the Bible predict the catastrophic destruction of Damascus? If so, why, and how will it happen? What are the implications of such a thing happening? How should Christians live in light of such coming events, if they are legitimate?
These are questions I have been studying for some time. In March of 2013, my most recent novel, "Damascus Countdown," was published. It considers this very subject, the coming judgment of the Syrian capital, and how this scenario could possibly unfold in the not-too-distant future in relation to other Bible prophecies and current geopolitical trends in the Middle East.
Given how often I'm being asked to discuss this, I preached on these Old Testament passages at Topeka Bible Church in Kansas. The podcast of that message will soon be posted on my blog. At the same time, I have decided to post 23 pages of my personal study notes on this subject for pastors, Bible study leaders, lay people and others to review and consider. I hope they are helpful.
[To find the link to the PDF version of these study notes -- that can be printed out to study more easily -- please visit the blog.]
Urgent Alert from Cindy Jacobs
Cindy Jacobs, Chuck Pierce, James Goll, Peter Wagner:
URGENT PRAYER for US, Israel, Middle East
To read this alert, please go here:
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Guatemalan President Names Jesus Christ Lord of His Country
(Guatemala)-At Guatemala's first National Prayer Breakfast, recently, the nation's President Otto Perez Molina made an amazing declaration saying, "Today we name Christ as Lord of Guatemala and we declare in His name that each of our generations will be generations that will live in a prosperous Guatemala."
"In the morning, it's hard see the news of how many Guatemalans died the day before because of violence. In those moments what gives me strength is knowing that I can do everything through Christ who strengthens me," he said.
According to Hispanic news outlet AcontererCristiano.net, the prayer breakfast was comprised of leaders from various backgrounds-indigenous and governmental-who prayed together for peace and God's favor in Guatemala.
US congressmen Robert Aderholt and Randy Hultgren were also in attendance of the prayer breakfast.
(By Aimee Herd, Breaking Christian News, Aug. 29, 2013)
Billion Souls Prayer Call
Billion Souls Revival Prayer Call
Devotional for Day 36:
10 September 2013
Liz Adleta, Ethne Movement Prayer Workgroup Facilitator
Over 1.8 billion people or 27.9% of the world's population have almost no access to see or hear the gospel within their own culture. These groups are known as "unreached."
"How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?" (Romans 10:14 NIV)
God's heart is that none should perish and Jesus died that whosoever believes might receive everlasting life. Yet in today's world, over one in four people do not have the opportunity to hear that good news! Why? Huge barriers of geography, language, politics, and culture stand in the way. Sometimes believers nearby are simply unaware or unconcerned about the need of unreached groups because the groups are isolated from the society as a whole where they live.
Jesus commanded His disciples to ask the Lord of the Harvest to thrust forth laborers; we can obey that command and see our world transformed by the power of His love. Let's repent of our fear or hesitation to obey His commands and to be fruitful disciples that multiply other obedient disciples from our own home towns to the ends of the earth (Acts 1:8).
Father, forgive me for my reluctance and fear to be a bold witness to those around me. Give me Your heart of love for every person, even those I would consider enemies. Help me to truly grow up to fully be like Jesus and to reproduce other obedient disciples who do likewise. Help me to recognize the hearts of those around me that the Holy Spirit has prepared to hear and respond to the gospel. Use me to share in appropriate ways and at appropriate times. Give much fruit that remains for Your glory and transforms my community and the world. Thank You that it's never too late to sow the seeds of the Word of God and to be Your hands and feet to my world! For Your glory among the nations, and in His Matchless Name I pray, Amen!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
"On Eagle's Wings"
by Michael Joncas
And He will raise you up on eagles' wings
Bear you on the breath of dawn
Make you to shine like the sun
And hold you in the palm of His hand.