Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Monday, Sept. 9, 2013
Praying the Word of God . . .
in the Will of God . . .
over the Issues of the Day
"Rend your heart and not your garments. . ."
Our Weekly Bible Studies:
> > > To read the "One Year Bible" weekly letter, go here.
> > > To read the Shabbat Torah readings, go here.
Submitted by Susan L. Turner
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at email@example.com, requesting that your name be added to our list of subscribers.
VISIT OUR BLOG!
CHPP's blog includes archives of past editions of all of our alerts, as well as features on praying for the government, Israel, and other key issues.
Come visit us by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. US Congress Finds 'Overwhelming' Public Opposition to Force in Syria - RIA Novosti
After three days of non-stop phone calls from hundreds of Colorado constituents opposed to a US military strike on Syria, Rep. Doug Lamborn announced Friday he was "leaning against" a resolution giving US President Barack Obama the authority to take limited action. People say things like, 'We have problems at home we need to take care of.' And what was surprising was how quickly people's opinions had gelled. They're not lukewarm. Right off the bat on Tuesday it was, 'We don't need this.' It's been overwhelming," she added in an interview with RIA Novosti.
While Lamborn was answering questions from listeners during a radio show Friday morning, Mortensen said, "One man phoned in to say, 'I'm in Afghanistan, and I don't want this anymore.'"
- Heavenly Father, may the will of the people and of the Congress be heard in this matter and may it be accepted! Father, we ask You to make Your presence be felt by our leaders who are living and acting in extreme darkness and manipulation, so that they hear what is being voiced and that the fear of You would fall upon them so that they turn from their evil games. We ask in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- Vindicate me, O God, and plead my cause against an ungodly nation; oh, deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man! (Psalm 43:1)
2. WH goes all out to win Syria strike support ahead of Tuesday speech
- Fox News
The Obama administration is making an all-out effort to win Americans' support for a military strike against Syria ahead of the president's scheduled Oval Office speech on Tuesday. White House Chief of Staff Denis McDonough will begin the full court press by appearing on the Sunday morning talk shows to continue to make the president's case that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad ordered a chemical-weapon attack last month that killed more than 1,400 of his own people and that the United States must take punitive action.
Obama said Aug. 31 that he had decided the U.S. should act but also said he wanted congressional support, which has already resulted in numerous classified briefings at the White House and on Capitol Hill and Secretary of State John Kerry testifying publicly at two congressional hearings earlier this week.
A senior administration official told reporters this weekend the push to win public support will also include National Security Adviser Susan Rice making a speech at the New America Foundation on Monday. With the exception of France, no other countries have supported the U.S.'s plan for a military strike.
- Abba Father, our leaders seem bent upon doing as they want, and somehow pressuring others to follow their choices alone! Father, confront them in the night hours and through people You place in their paths as to Your will and ways, not their selfish, arrogant choices. Have mercy, Father, and spare the world of these dark choices from our leaders, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- He who sows iniquity will reap sorrow, and the rod of his anger will fail. (Prov. 22:8)
3. Citing costs, IBM to move retirees off health plan - Fox News
International Business Machines Corp. plans to move about 110,000 retirees off its company-sponsored health plan and instead give them a payment to buy coverage on a health-insurance exchange, in a sign that even big, well-capitalized employers aren't likely to keep providing the once-common benefits as medical costs continue to rise.
The move, which will affect all IBM retirees once they become eligible for Medicare, will relieve the technology company of the responsibility of managing retirement health-care benefits. IBM said the growing cost of care makes its current plan unsustainable without big premium increases.
IBM's shift is an indication that health-insurance marketplaces, similar to the public exchanges proposed under President Barack Obama's health-care overhaul, will play a bigger role as companies move coverage down the path taken by many pensions, paying employees and retirees a fixed sum to manage their own care.
- Heavenly Father, we again come before You to ask that this health care plan being imposed by the Federal government be somehow revised or repealed. Every day, new aspects are being reported which reflect how it is destroying jobs and sources of jobs. So much is destructive about this quickly passed, but poorly designed plan. Have mercy, Father! In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death.
4. Did You Know Abortion Clinics Are Closing Like Crazy? - Townhall.com
At least 58 U.S. abortion clinics -- almost 1 in 10 -- have shut down or stopped providing the life-ending procedure since 2011. The reporting by Bloomberg, coupled with data from Guttmacher, which surveys provide every few years, show that clinics have closed at a record pace since 2011. During the past three years, an average of 19 closed each year. That's more than double the rate in the decade ending in 2008.
A wave of regulations that makes it too expensive or logistically impossible for facilities to remain in business drove at least a third of the closings. Demographic changes, declining demand, industry consolidation, doctor retirements and crackdowns on unfit providers were also behind the drop. (Read more)
- Lord, we lift praises for this report and ask that it continue until this nightmare of innocent blood being shed is stopped all over our nation! Forgive us, Lord, that we allowed this to go this far! As increasingly it is being reported, so many of these clinics follow no rules of hygiene or emergency backup for serious health concerns. We ask You Lord, to rise up and cause all these dangers to be ended, in Jesus' Name , Amen and Amen.
- Come and let us return to the Lord, for He has torn, but He will heal us; He has stricken, but He will bind us up. (Hosea 6:1)
5. Number of Gov't Workers Up 324,000 in One Month - Private Sector Down 278,000 - CNS News
The number of workers employed by the government went up 324,000 between July and August while the number of workers in the private sector declined 278,000, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). In the employment numbers released today, the BLS shows there were 20,041,000 government workers in July 2013. In August, that number had climbed to 20,365,000 - an increase of 324,000 people on the government payroll. That's government employment level, seasonally adjusted, for male and female workers ages 16 and over. (Read more)
- Abba Father, if this pattern continues, with more governmental jobs versus private sector jobs, there will not be sufficient tax resources to continue sustaining the government sector. Government does not produce income; it just collects it from private enterprise. Protect us Father from this destructive pattern. Awaken more of those who serve in Congress as to the direction this country is moving, inspiring them to rise up and change this so our nation may survive. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- Woe to those who call evil good and good evil. (Isaiah 5:20a)
6. Under Obama: Job Growth 52% Greater for Foreign-Born Workers - CNS News
Under President Barack Obama, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics data released today, the increase in the number of foreign-born people employed in the United States has been 52 percent greater than the increase in the number of native-born people employed. In January 2009, when President Barack Obama first took office, says the BLS, there were 21,375,000 foreign-born people employed in the United States. In August 2013, there were 23,833,000 foreign-born workers employed in the United States. That means that since Obama took office the number of foreign-born people holding jobs inside the United States has increased by 2,458,000. By contrast, in January 2009, there were 119,061,000 native-born Americans employed in the United States, and, in August 2013, there were 120,676,000-an increase of 1,615,000. (Read more)
- Father, there have been other reports of how 4 out of 5 people eligible to work in this nation are living in or near the poverty line, with many working multiple jobs to survive. Father, help us as no matter what so many try to do to work, the jobs are not there for them! As Your word teaches, there is dignity in work but if there are no jobs, that dignity cannot be obtained. We ask in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- For as he thinks in his heart, so is he. 'Eat and drink!' he says to you, but his heart is not with you. (Proverbs 23:7)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?" (Genesis 18:25b)
1. New Clues To King Solomon's Mines Found - LiveScience
New evidence that links the vast copper mines in southern tip of Israel to the reign of King Solomon has been discovered, archaeologists report.
2. Pro-Israel lobby facing uphill climb to muster Syria strike support - Times of Israel
Of all the interests backing President Barack Obama's call for Congress to authorize military strikes on Syria, perhaps none is more concerned about the prospect of a "no" vote than America's pro-Israel lobby, which is finding it difficult to overcome widespread opposition to the use of force.
3. Army deploys Iron Dome near Jerusalem - Times of Israel
An Iron Dome battery was deployed near Jerusalem for the first time Sunday, as the IDF continued to prepare for the possibility that rockets or missiles will be fired at Israel as a result of a military operation against Bashar Assad's regime in Syria.
4. Police, Palestinians clash on Temple Mount; 15 arrested - Jerusalem Post
Israeli police fired stun grenades to disperse Palestinian worshipers who threw rocks at them after Friday prayers at the al-Aqsa Mosque compound on Temple Mount, Islam's third holiest site, a police spokesman said.
5. Israel wants to hold 40% of West Bank in peace deal - Times of Israel
Israel has proposed leaving intact dozens of Jewish settlements and military bases in the West Bank as part of a package to establish a Palestinian state in provisional borders, a Palestinian official told The Associated Press on Wednesday, in the first detailed glimpse at recently relaunched peace talks.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34:18)
1. Member of Afghan Parliament Calls for Afghan Christian Converts to be Executed - Christian Today
Quds Online news website, affiliated with Astan Quds Razavi Foundation, reported that an Afghan news service, Ava, is saying the number of Christians is increasing in Afghanistan.
According to Mohabat News Service, Ava quoted Nazir Ahmad Hanafi, Afghan Parliament Member, as saying, "Afghani citizens continue to convert to Christianity in India. Numerous Afghans have become Christians in India. This is an offense to Islamic Laws and according to the Quran they need to be executed."
Earlier, another Member of Afghanistan's Parliament had acknowledged that an Afghan church had been built in India. He said, "A church has been built in India called Afghani's Church. Any Afghani citizen who travels to India would be officially invited to the church."
However, Mohabat News said, some other Afghan MPs, however, blame the US for the increasing number of Christian conversions.
Abdul Latif Pedram, who represents Badakhshan province in the Afghan Parliament, stated, "The presence of the U.S. in Afghanistan results in the conversion of Afghans to Christianity. The United States' long term plan is to attack Afghani culture. Converting Afghan citizens serves that purpose."
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
High Alert: Possible Hacker Attack on 9/11
Announcement of Planned Cyber Attack on Israel, U.S
An English-language video posted to YouTube on Monday calls on Muslim hackers around the world to participate in a movement to bring down American and Israeli websites on September 11, marking the anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks in New York City. "We are the same people who . . . you on April 7. And now we are back. To punish you again," the voice declares, in reference to an April attempt, by the group Anonymous, to "erase Israel from the internet" on International Holocaust Memorial Day.
In their most recent operation, the group of technical militants announce the launch of a new operation,"#OpIsrael #Reborn." They then ask "all hacker Muslims to join their September 11 operation. It then calls on Americans and Israelis to expect an attack of some kind on September 11. "America, Israel. We will show you," it reiterates.
- Father God, we lift up a tsunami of praise unto You, the Most High God, for we know that only You can protect us from this announced onslaught in cyberspace. As we continue to come before You during this holy season in repentance, we thank You that You will move and You will act, according to Your word in 2 Chronicles 7:14 and 15 which is true and which does not lie. Thank You, Lord, for hearing our prayer, in Jesus' Name, amen.
- " . . . if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place." (2 Chronicles 7:14,15)
Iran Levels Sickening Threats at America
Iran Levels Sickening Threats at America, White House,
in Event of Syrian Strike
Threatening to kidnap, rape and kill the children of American officials, including President Obama's daughter, exposes the true nature of our enemy. If you've never prayed for President and his family before, maybe now is the time to start doing it.
(Iran)-In a shocking display of just how diabolical extremist leaders in Iran are, a former Iranian official has warned that if America attacks Syria, they will-according to a Daily Caller report-conduct "mass abductions and brutal killings of American citizens around the world and the rape and killing of [one of President] Obama's daughters."
The official, Alireza Forghani, is said to be an analyst and strategy specialist for Iran's Supreme Leader.
"Hopefully," he said, "Obama will be pigheaded enough to attack Syria . . . in just 21 hours [after an attack on Syria] a family member of every US minister, US ambassadors, US military commanders around the world will be abducted. And then 18 hours later, videos of their amputation will be spread [around the world].'"
Forghani was specific in regards with an attack on the First Family, saying that Sasha would be raped by someone who has been able to "get close" to the Obama family.
This is the enemy we face, folks. Brutal. Barbaric. Infiltrating. Ruthless. Without a conscience.
I suppose if every nation on the face of the earth (including peace-loving, non-extremist Muslim countries) were to band together to stop the current gassings and genocides being inflicted on innocent people under the heels of ruthless despots, something would be achieved. Without a broad coalition of the willing, however, it's nearly impossible.
History, I fear, repeats itself (think WWII) not because we haven't studied it and learned from it, but because it's in man's nature to both bully and revert to cowardice and self-preservation in the face of bullying.
Which is why Jesus is the only solution to this crisis.
[Breaking Christian News] Read more.
- Holy God, once again we come before you on our faces in repentance, crying out to You for help in time of need. We cry out for our children; we cry out for our families; we cry out for our neighbors; we cry out for our churches; we cry out for our cities; and we cry out for our leaders.
Help us, Lord, to learn how to rend our hearts and not our garments, that we not move in repentance to be seen by man, but only by You. We ask You to spare us from imminent calamity, for You are the God of mercy. We ask all this in Jesus' mighty Name, amen.
- "Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the LORD your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, and he relents from sending calamity." (Joel 2:13)
A Time to Repent: Part One
A Time to Repent: Part One
Acts of Repentance on 9/11
(Taken from the Billion Souls Revival Prayer Call for Wednesday, 9/11. Submitted by John Robb, International Prayer Council and Children in Prayer movement)
11 September marks a special day in the USA. Today Christians across that nation will join together for two prayer events - National Day of Prayer and Repentance and Cry Out America. Let us offer special prayer for them today as they seek the Lord for their nation at this crucial time.
To learn more about the National Day of Prayer and Repentance, please go here.
To learn more about Cry Out America, please go here.
A Time to Repent: Part Two
A Time to Repent: Part Two
Seeking God's Face
In the spirit of 2 Chronicles 7:14, we sense a renewed call from God to humble ourselves, pray, seek His Face, and turn from our wicked ways. We believe this call is deeply personal and that God wants His people to seek Him with an attitude of personal repentance.
The prophet Isaiah spoke against wickedness and backsliding among God's people. Still, it was a time when they were going to the temple regularly and even fasting. Yet God asked "Is it a fast that I have chosen..?" (Isaiah 58). God then described specifically what He had called them to do, which required a deeply personal, self-reflective look at their relationship with Him.
We invite you to join us, as we together seek God's face daily for 21 days, commencing on the anniversary of 9/11 and continuing through October 1, 2013. Each day we will send a brief devotional looking at one aspect of Isaiah 58 and the commitment to which God still calls His people.
To learn more about how you can participate in these 21 days of repentance, go here.
(Sponsored by: Intercessors for America)
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
In role reversal, Beijing businesses looking for products
labeled "Made in Israel"
Visiting Chinese trade reps tout Israel's "world-class products."
The ubiquitous "Made in China" stamp that for years could be found on cheap manufactured goods in Israel and around the world is gradually giving way to a new economic reality.
On Monday, representatives from Canton Fair, China's largest trade exhibition, met in Tel Aviv's David Intercontinental Hotel and urged Israeli businesses to join the event in mid-October. But for the first time, they were not courting just importers to distribute Chinese goods to Israel; instead, they laid out the case for Israeli businesses to sell to China.
"Israel has some products that are world-class," said Johnson Liu, deputy director-general of the China Foreign Trade Center. "It has advantages in agriculture, hi-tech and green sectors, and the Chinese market has great demand for this, so we're looking for exporters this time to come to the fair."
. . . China's turn to Israel as a market of innovation is part of a larger trend, as Canton Fair itself demonstrates. In 2007, it changed its full name from the Chinese Export Commodities Fair to the China Import and Export Fair.
"The market in Israel is not very large, but we pay great attention to how it can supplement China's markets, to what we don't have but you do," Liu added.
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu, who has cited Asian markets as a major engine of Israeli potential economic growth, visited the country in May and expressed hope that bilateral trade would increase 25%.
In July, Economy and Trade Minister Naftali Bennett laid out preliminary steps for negotiating a Free Trade Agreement with China, on his own visit to the Eastern giant. (The Jerusalem Post) Read more.
- Offer praise to the Lord for this new, wide door of opportunity that is opening up for businesses in Israel. Join us as we praise Him, in our Worship Section today, singing "How Great is our God," in Hebrew!
- "Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord." (Psalm 150:6)
Billion Souls Prayer Call
Billion Souls Revival Prayer Call
Devotional for Day 35:
9 September 2013
Submitted by: a lady missionary serving long-term in a restricted access area in Asia
As Jesus, while on earth, only ever did what He saw the Father doing, so we need to be doing exactly what we see Jesus doing.
Let us run the race that is before us and never give up. We should remove from our lives anything that would get in the way and the sin that so easily holds us back. Let us look only to Jesus, the One who began our faith and who makes it perfect (Hebrews 12:1-2 New Century Version).
As a young Christian, I really wanted to know God's plan for my life, but was confused about how to find it. Yes, from the Bible I learned valuable principles for life, but nothing seemed to fit my own circumstances.
Then I received the single piece of advice that has kept me on the Way (who is Jesus, after all!) for more than 30 years now: If you do not have a vision for what to do with your life, then make it your vision to be like Jesus. Then He can take you anywhere, and have you do everything that He wants.
You know, the craziest things happen when we get radical instead of just reasonable in fixing our eyes on Jesus, learning in our weak and fumbling way to love, think and act like Him.
- Maybe a relative will be happily surprised when we say something nice about someone instead of criticising.
- Or the police officers will ask "Why?" when they see you chatting with a homeless person - and listen to your answer.
- You might get news that a stranger you shared your testimony with ten years ago believed in Christ as a result and is now on a foreign mission field.
- People from a different ethnic group are suddenly eager to befriend and listen to you when you adopt their meal-time customs.
I still have so far to go in learning to be like Jesus, but those things are just a few encouragements I have received along the way so far.
Almighty and loving Father, We thank You for bringing us into Your great family. Thank you for making Yourself small enough for us to see You in Jesus who came to live amongst us. Please forgive us for all the times we have been 'reasonable' in our following You instead of simply believing and accepting that You mean what You say. Help us simply to fix our eyes on Jesus, to do what we see Him do; to desire praise from You more than praise from the world. We ask in His name. Amen.
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
HEBREW - How Great is our God
Gadol Elohai by Joshua Aaron
Yes! How great IS our God! Amen!