Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2013
Praying the Word of God . . .
in the Will of God . . .
over the Issues of the Day
Tuesday, Sept. 3, 2013
"To everything there is a season, A time for every purpose under heaven . . ." (Ecclesiastes 3:1)
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at email@example.com, requesting that your name be added to our list of subscribers.
The Daily Brief
1. USS Nimitz carrier group rerouted for possible help with Syria - Reuters
The nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Nimitz and other ships in its strike group are heading west toward the Red Sea to help support a limited U.S. strike on Syria, if needed, defense officials said on Sunday.
- Lord, we pray for the USS Nimitz and the other ships' crews. We pray for their safety. As they head toward possible conflict we pray that they would turn toward You and remember with thanksgiving the blessings we have had. Use Your people on board to touch others with the many wondrous works You have done. May the name of Jesus be lifted up on board. May they see the works of the Lord and His wonders in the deep. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- "Those who go down to the sea in ships, who do business on great waters. They see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep." (Psalm 107:22-24)
2. Vladimir Putin expected to use G20 forum to deny chemical weapons claims against Syria - AU News
Russian President Vladimir Putin will use this week's G20 world leaders forum to debunk US intelligence justifying an assault on Syria.
- Lord, we pray for godly wisdom for the G20 world leaders. We pray that at this meeting truth will come forth and clarity will be given to the issues they are discussing especially about Syria and what to do.
May the fear of the Lord arise among them. Let them make decisions according to Your will and not their own. May their ears be inclined to hear wisdom and may their hearts to understanding. Let them lift their voices for understanding and seek wisdom. Let them cry out for discernment. Somehow let them hear Your voice on what they should do. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- "Yes, if you cry out for discernment, and lift up your voice for understanding, if you seek her as silver, and search for her as for hidden treasures; then you will understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God, for the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding. He stores up sound wisdom the upright; He is a shield to those who walk uprightly; He guards the paths of justice." (Proverbs 2:3-8)
3. US's Arab allies exasperated by West's stance on Syria - Jerusalem Post
Middle East supporters of the Sunni-dominated rebel forces led by Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Turkey are exasperated with the hesitation of Western countries but are holding out in expectation that attacks will eventually occur. On the other side, Syria, Iran, and Hezbollah are gloating over the perceived failure and weakness of Britain and the US as well as the delay in plans to attack.
- Lord, we do not understand who the real supporters of the rebels are, or who is supporting whom, or the total accuracy of all the reports we hear. But You, Lord, know the whole situation and we trust You. We do cry out for mercy and protection for those who have not been involved in this Middle East mess. Lord, You desire all spirits of man come to You and we pray this Middle East crisis will be used to bring a harvest to You. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- "Then they fell on their faces, and said, 'O God, the God of the spirits of all flesh, shall one man sin and You be angry with the all the congregation.'" (Numbers 16:22)
4. White House girds for battle with Congress - Wall Street Journal
The White House is girding for more than a week of battle with Congress over President Barack Obama's plan to launch limited military strikes against the Syrian regime for its alleged use of chemical weapons last month.
- Lord, may Congress turn to You in this battle and come to unity on the decision. We pray also that our President will abide by that decision. We pray for additional prayer to be raised up this week. We pray that people will also take action when they have an answer and contact their representatives.
We thank You, too, Lord that as we prayed, you have answered, and have turned the heart of this president to not launch an attack, but instead to seek the will of Congress. Now, we ask that You would turn the hearts of the majority of members in both House and Senate to vote "no" to launching these strikes. We ask this in Your name, amen.
- "This far you may come, but no farther, And here your proud waves must stop!'" (Job 38:11)
5. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg presides over same-sex union - Times of Israel
Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg officiated at a same-sex wedding this weekend in what is believed to be a first for a member of America's highest court.
- Lord, have mercy on the Supreme Court and our country. Many have and are praying and have taken action against same-sex marriage. Please remember and honor what they have done. Have mercy on those who have not taken a stand and wake them up. Heal our land of these shameful acts against Your design and nature and those involved in them we pray. In the name of Jesus, who has the power to heal anything, we pray. Amen.
- "For this reason the God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of tthe woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due." (Romans 1:26-27)
> > > Please see also our special prayer for Justice Ginsburg, below.
6. Classroom chaos? Critics blast new Common Core education standards - Fox News
A full year before students around the nation submit to the new Common Core standardized tests, the federally-backed program is already causing chaos and confusion at local school board meetings, in the classroom and at the dinner table. As the program gets closer to full implementation, a full-blown backlash is developing despite assurances from supporters that it is merely a test aimed at establishing a national standard.
" It's just now reaching their school districts and their children's schools and they want to know, 'What is this, and why is it being forced on us?'" said the Cato Institute's Neil McCluskey. (Read more)
- Offer a chorus of praise to the Lord that the American people are not buying into the deception of the Common Core curriculum, whose agenda is solely to bring our youth into the control of the New World Order. Ask the Lord to bring forth leadership and strategies among those who now stand in opposition to this dangerous plan, and may each one be graced with favor as he or she confronts "those in authority" to block the implementation of Common Core in their school districts. In Jesus Name, amen.
- "When a man's ways are pleasing to the LORD, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him." (Proverbs 16:7)
7. Boehner, Cantor Support Syria Strike - Fox News
House Speaker John Boehner and House Majority Leader Eric Cantor both says they support President Obama's call for a military strike in Syria.
- In Zechariah 12, v. 4, it is written that, when the nations turn against Israel, our Lord will strike every rider on horses (i.e., leaders) with "blindness" or with "madness". We are now seeing the outworking of America's anti-Israel policies for many years now. Our Lord has been patient, but the principle of reaping and sowing has now taken effect, and is blinding the minds of our leaders. Ask our Lord, in an amazing act of mercy, to "reverse the curse" that has beset these leaders, for they know not what they do. It is also written that "we have not because we ask not," so let us ask for this blessing today, in His Name, amen.
- "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: 'Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.'" (Gal. 3:13)
8. Russia may send lawmakers to lobby Congress - Fox News
Russian President Vladimir Putin hopes to send Russian lawmakers to lobby Congress against a strike against Syria. According to a report by the Interfax news agency, Putin has signaled his support for a proposal made by two Russian lawmakers to send a delegation to Washington. (Read more)
- If the Russians are granted permission to come here to lobby Congress, pray that the eyes of our legislators will be opened to the truth of the "big picture" in Syria, and that a vote to launch a missile attack against Syria's chemical weapons facilities will fail.
- "Ears that hear and eyes that see-- the LORD has made them both." (Proverbs 20:12)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Yahweh has established His throne in heaven, And His kingdom rules over all." (Psalm 103:19)
1. Poll: 46% of Israeli Jews believe Assad would hit Israel after US-led strike - Jerusalem Post
Almost half of Jewish Israelis believe that Syrian President Bashar Assad will make good on his threat to attack Israel if the US and its allies take military action against Syria, a poll by the Israel Democracy Institute and Tel Aviv University taken last week found.
2. Obama's Syria Decision Greeted Silently by Israel - NY Times
Since reports surfaced of an apparent chemical attack outside Damascus, Israeli leaders have called for an American response, both on moral grounds and as a warning to Iran over its nuclear program. But on Sunday, after President Obama said he would delay a military strike to obtain Congressional approval, a new message emerged from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government: Do not say anything.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, whom having not seen you love." (I Peter 1:6-8)
Persecuted Indonesian Churches Hold Service in Front of Presidential Palace - Jakarta Globe
Congregations from the shuttered Yasmin church in Bogor, West Java, and the Filadelfia Church in Bekasi, also in West Java, voiced their concerns after a Sunday service held in front of the State Palace in Central Jakarta.
Yasmin church spokesman Bona Sigalingging slammed the president's reluctance to deal with a dispute over the church's permit, vowing the protestors would return to the palace every other Sunday until their case was resolved.
Members of the Yasmin church in Bogor have been locked out since 2008 as municipal authorities stubbornly ignore two Supreme Court rulings and an order by the government ombudsman to reopen the church's doors.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
A Prayer for Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg
A Prayer for Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg
[This past Saturday, Justice Ginsburg was the first member of the U.S. Supreme Court to officiate at the marriage of a same-sex couple. The ceremony took place at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. Our prayer for Justice Ginsburg is below.]
Gentle Loving Father, Boldly we bring Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg into Your great big arms to hold her and tell her how very much YOU love her from long before she was a twinkle in her mother's eye. Justice Ginsburg is in the twilight of her life and needs YOU now more than ever. Speak directly to her heart causing her to hear Your beautiful voice and desiring to hear more.
YOU are her Supreme Justice and we pray that YOU would shower her with MERCY and she would bow her knee, asking forgiveness of her sins, crying out for YOUR mercy and she would receive Jesus Christ as her LORD and SAVIOUR right now.
We proclaim liberty to Justice Ginsburg through our united intercession of prayers that YOU call a sweet aroma. We declare she has Recovery of SIGHT and LIBERTY from oppression.
We pray her into the family of GOD right now and boldly declare and confess that Justice Ginsburg is our new sister-in-Christ!
"Fill her Holy Spirit more than fullness she would know, she is smallest of Your vessels, yet she much would overflow"
In the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, Amen and Amen!
"The Spirit of The Lord is upon Me
Because He has anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor
He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted
To proclaim liberty to the captives
And recovery of sight to the blind
To set at liberty those who are oppressed
To proclaim the acceptable year of The Lord."
(If you have a shofar, please go get it right now and blow it as loud as you can for this prayer to take root in Justice Ginsburg's spirit, immediately. Hopefully, thousands of shofars around the earth will be heard for this Supreme Court Justice of the United States, Ruth Bader Ginsburg)
More from Syria for Prayer
More from Syria for Prayer
from John Robb
International Prayer Connect
One of our sisters in Christ in Syria has sent the following prayer concerns.
"Appreciate being in your prayers since we choose to stay here in our country and have a lot to do among refugees. We visit, help, support and share the Gospel with them. We have a home bible study once a week in addition to prayer meetings.
Our prayer requests are:
1 Pray for the peace of Syria and special prayers of protection for those who hold the name of Christ in Syria and serving him in pure heart.
2 Pray to have courage to continue visiting those refugee families although it is dangerous.
3 Pray to have wisdom how to share our faith.
4 Pray for those who lost family members and for traumatized people as a result of all this violence, killing, bombing, and kidnapping, It is so frightening. Pray for both the children and adults."
Additional prayer concerns from our office:
1 Please pray that the USA and other external powers will hold back and not get involved in the conflict there except for humanitarian purposes. There are too many possible unintended consequences.
2 Pray that the evil one and his principalities and powers of destruction, violence and death will be bound and that peace, calm and restoration will come to this conflicted land.
Thanks for your prayer support!
International Prayer Council
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Aretha Franklin Credits Her "Miraculous Recovery" to Faith
The Gospel singer says she is now 85% healed, and it's all because she knows who her "Healer" is.
(New York, NY)-Websites were abuzz today about singer Aretha Franklin announcing that the medical professionals studying her most recent CAT scan are calling it "absolutely miraculous."
Although Franklin's medical condition hasn't been made public, the 71-year-old Queen of Soul is being very public in crediting faith with her healing, saying, "I was talking to Smokey Robinson . . . about the fact that some doctors are not very well acquainted with faith healing. And Smokey said, 'Well, they just don't know Who your Healer is.'"
Franklin acknowledged that she had worries about her health. " . . . all prayer is good, and keep me in your prayers until I am 100 percent, not 85, and back onstage," she said. (AP) Read more here.
[Also reported by: Breaking Christian News]
Billion Souls Revival Prayer Call
Billion Souls Revival Prayer Call
Devotional for Day 29:
3 September 2013
David Rowsome, Prayer Coordinator,
Canberra Declaration, Australia
Pray that we would boldly declare the truth of God's Word when contending for a culture of life.
For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ (2 Corinthians 10:3-5 NIV).
In contending for a culture of life, on issues such as abortion, Christians have had some limited success in using the appeals of secular society or the world. There are the different declarations of the United Nations which can sometimes win the day. There also is a growing body of medical research and scientific discoveries which can be used in different battles. Secular social sciences too sometimes can be used to support the Christian view on life issues.
While we can rejoice in every victory that seems to push back a culture of death we must realise that written agreements and reasoned arguments by themselves won't ultimately transform society the way that we want. What do we do if the UN changes its position or makes other conventions that promote a culture of death? What do we do with hardened hearts and minds that refuse to believe that God is real and that human life is sacred?
The above passage assures us that God's mighty weapons are available to us as we contend for a culture of life. We need spiritual weapons to demolish spiritual strongholds. These include God's Word, prayer in the name of Jesus, the power of the Holy Spirit, faith, hope and love. These weapons can break down proud human arguments against God that keep people from seeing God's truth.
In all our contending for a culture of life we must prayerfully and unashamedly declare the unchangeable truth that "God created man in his own image" (Genesis 1:27). The declaration that every human being has intrinsic and equal value in the eyes of God is key to our victory.
Loving Heavenly Father, thank you that you created human beings in your own image so that we could live in a right relationship with you. You Word declares that we are your workmanship created in Christ Jesus to do good works (Ephesians 2:10). And so we want to honour you as our Creator with lives that are pleasing to you. Forgive us for our reluctance or embarrassment to declare the truth of your Word as we contend for a culture of life. Instead, may we put on the full armour of God, boldly praying in the Spirit, while using your Word the sword of the Spirit (Ephesians 6:10-18). Help us to take our stand against the spiritual forces of evil of this dark world as we contend for a culture of life. In the mighty name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
SINGING OVER ME
When I waited so long, when my tears were my song
With my hope nearly gone You held me God
To believe in the face of the dry, weary place
When You felt far away You held me God