Tonight begins Yom Kippur.
This is also the "International Day
of Repentance." See our Good News
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Friday, September 13, 2013
Praying the Word of God . . .
in the Will of God . . .
over the Issues of the Day
"Rend your heart and not your garments. . ." (Joel 2:13)
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting that your name be added to our list of subscribers.
VISIT OUR BLOG!
CHPP's blog includes archives of past editions of all of our alerts, as well as features on praying for the government, Israel, and other key issues. Come visit us by going here.
Yom Kippur: The Day of Atonement
The Daily Brief
1. Herat attack: Afghanistan Taliban target US Consulate - BBC
US and Afghan forces have fought off an attack by Taliban insurgents on the US consulate in the western city of Herat. Two Afghan police and one security guard were killed in the dawn assault, along with seven attackers. The US consulate said its staff were safe. The Taliban said they carried out the attack, which began with a huge blast at the compound gates, sparking a gun battle near consulate buildings.
- Father, we thank You that this attack was not as dire as the one last year in Benghazi, with no loss of American lives. However, we do pray for the families of the Afghan police and security guard, who lost their lives defending our embassy. We pray You will comfort those who mourn, and heal those who are wounded, both physically and emotionally. We pray for those who were responsible for the attack, that they would be found, and held accountable. We also pray for their salvation, that they would behold the true and living God, and find their freedom and purpose in You! Amen.
- "The Lord is my Strength and my Defense; He has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise Him, my Father's God, and I will exalt Him. The Lord is a Warrior; the Lord is His name." (Exodus 15:2,3)
2. Al Qaeda Leader Urges Small-Scale Attacks in US to "bleed America Economically" - Reuters
Al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri urged small-scale attacks inside the United States to "bleed America economically", adding he hoped eventually to see a more significant strike, according to the SITE monitoring service.
- Abba, we come against these words of our enemies. We thank You that our Hope and Trust is in You. We bind up those spirits of intimidation, fear, and murder, and declare, according to Your Word, that "no weapon formed against us can prosper". We ask for increased wisdom for those in Homeland Security, and other government entities, that are tasked with foiling such attempts, and pray that the perpetrators will be found and held responsible. In Your Name we pray, Amen.
- "Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ. Stand firm in one Spirit, striving together as one for the faith of the Gospel without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. This is a sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved--and that by God." (Phil. 1:27,28)
3. Russia to expand Mediterranean fleet to 10 warships - Navy Chief - RT News
"The task is crystal clear: to avoid a slightest threat to the security of the state. This is a general practice of all fleets around the world, to be there when a tension level increases. They are all going to act on operational command plan of the offshore maritime zone," Chirkov told journalists on Friday. "Russia will be building up its Mediterranean fleet until it is deemed sufficient to perform the task set."
- Lord of Hosts, we bring this matter to You. We know that in these last days the nations will rage, and there will be wars and rumors of wars, but You have said that we should "let not our hearts be troubled, neither be afraid", and so we pray that You will intervene in the affairs of men, and that Your will and Your timing will prevail.
- "The Name of Adonai is a Strong Tower, a righteous person runs to it and is raised high above danger." (Proverbs 18:10)
4. Sen. Harry Reid moans: The 'anarchists' have taken over Congress - Washington Times
Sen. Majority Leader Harry Reid bemoaned what he called the takeover of Congress by a radical force with nothing but disdain for government, during blunt remarks from the Senate floor.The context for his Thursday comments was the inability of Democrats to pass an energy efficiency measure - a failure he blamed on the tea party wing of the Republican Party. "We're diverted totally from what this bill is about," he said. "Why? Because the anarchists have taken over. They've taken over the House, and now they've taken over the Senate."
- Lord, we ask that the "name calling" and efforts of intimidation be silenced, and that cool heads would prevail on Capitol Hill. We ask for a spirit of patriotism to come upon all our Representatives and Senators in Congress, so that all these men and women sent to Congress by the people, will truly be for the people. We ask that You stop the mouths of liars, and that sanity would return, and the light of truth will shine throughout the Halls of Congress. We ask this in Your Name. Amen.
- "But the king will rejoice in God. Everyone who swears by Him will exult, for the mouths of liars will be silenced." (Proverbs 63:12)
5. New Jersey inferno takes out 50 boardwalk businesses - Washington Times
So much for a Superstorm Sandy comeback. Firefighters on Friday morning were still trying to put out a massive fire that tore across the Jersey Shore boardwalk, devastating at least 50 businesses and dampening New Jersey's hopes to rebound and build back the beachfront that was decimated 10 months ago.
- Abba, we ask for Your comfort and peace to enfold those who have been impacted by this tragedy. May they come to You for healing and recovery. We thank You that You are moved with compassion when we suffer loss. We ask that those who can help would do so. We ask that discouragement and bitterness will not prevail, but that they will be grateful for that which cannot be destroyed by fire or flood. We ask You to be Jehovah Shammah to them, and also the One Who provides for all their needs. Give them wisdom and good ideas for restoration, we pray. Amen.
- "We have this treasure from God, but we are like clay jars that hold the treasure. This shows that the great power is from God, not from us. We have troubles all around us, but we are not defeated. We do not know what to do, but we do not give up the hope of living. We are persecuted, but God does not leave us. We are hurt sometimes, but we are not destroyed." (2 Corinthians 4:7-9)
6. Three Dead as Colorado Floods Worsen, Smashing Rainfall Records - Newsmax
Flooding that killed at least three people in Colorado, toppling buildings and stranding drivers, worsened overnight as record rains pounded the state, forcing thousands more residents to flee to higher ground, officials said. The unusual late-summer downpours drenched Colorado's biggest urban centers, stretching 130 miles (210 km) along the eastern slopes of the Rockies from Fort Collins near the Wyoming border south through Boulder, Denver and Colorado Springs.
- Father, certainly all creation seems to be groaning and travailing, awaiting Your redemption. Surely we must keep our eyes on You, and have Your peace in the midst of the storms! We do ask that You will once again command the winds and the waves to cease, and a great calm envelop the area. We pray for Your peace and healing and comfort for all those who mourn, whether for lost family members, or houses or lands. May they see and understand Your presence with them, and Your compassion for them. We ask for restoration of all that "the enemy of our souls" has stolen from them. We ask that this tragedy will bring them closer to You, and trust You, not only for their salvation, but also for wisdom and answers regarding rebuilding and preventing future devastations like this one. In Your precious Name we pray, Amen.
- "But when He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them, because they were weary and scattered, like sheep having no shepherd. And when Jesus went out He saw a great multitude; and He was moved with compassion for them, and healed their sick." (Matthew 9:36; 14:14)
7. Americans hit the roof in debt-ceiling fight - WND
By a margin of 2-1, Americans have said in a poll they do not want Congress to raise the debt ceiling to allow more borrowing and spending. . . federal officials have left the U.S. debt clock stuck at exactly $16,699,396,000,000 for weeks. The debt has been frozen at that amount because of an accounting trick Treasury Secretary Jack Lew calls "extraordinary measures." The measures have prevented the government from defaulting on its obligations and allowed it to keep borrowing, while maintaining the official debt just $25 million below the legal debt limit set by Congress of $16,699,421,000,000. Now an NBC poll indicates 44 percent of Americans oppose raising the debt ceiling. Only 22 percent support it.
The fight has expanded, with many conservatives pledging to support bills keeping essential operations running while providing no funds for the implementation of the massively expensive Obamacare. (Read more)
- Offer praise unto the LORD that the majority of our citizens are facing our economic reality clearly, and are sending a signal to Congress to stop the spending. Ask our Lord to forgive Treasury Secretary Lew for his maneuvers, using "creative accounting" to try to rescue this disaster. On the eve of this Yom Kippur, we stand in repentance for our wasteful ways as a nation, and we ask our Lord to grant us His mercy, to teach us His ways, and to show our leaders how to correct this long- overdue mistake. In Jesus' name we pray, amen.
- "A false balance is an abomination to the LORD, but a just weight is his delight." (Proverbs 11:1)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?" (Genesis 18:25b)
1. Hinting at dismay with Obama, PM says Israel can rely only on itself - Times of Israel
In remarks whose content and timing implied criticism of President Barack Obama's handling of the Syrian chemical weapons crisis, and a concern that Israel could not depend on the US to thwart Iran's nuclear drive, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday declared that nations that use weapons of mass destruction must pay a price, and said that his own actions as leader of the Jewish state revolved around the conviction that ultimately Israel had no one to rely on but itself when facing enemy threats.
2. Arrow 3 trials successful, may move operational timetable ahead - Ynet News
Analysis of the Arrow 3 missile launch tests, which took place last February in the Israeli Air Force's Palmachim base in cooperation with American partners, revealed that the experiment was successful beyond all expectations, to an extent that may speed up the timetable for the declaration of the program as operational.
3. U.S. Backing of Russian Plan Leaves a Wary Israel Focusing on Self-Reliance - NY Times
In tallying winners and losers from the unexpected turn toward a potential diplomatic resolution of the crisis over Syria's chemical weapons, Israel lands squarely in the question-mark column.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34:18)
Catholic Priest and Pastor Among Those Kidnapped by Radical Muslims in Philippines - CIC
A Catholic priest and a Protestant pastor are said to be among the "hostages" of the Moro National Liberation Front who are engaged in a standoff with government forces in Zamboanga City, the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) said Tuesday.
According to GMA News (www.gmanetwork.com), the CBCP said Chief Inspector Ariel Huesca, spokesman of the Philippine National Police Regional Office 9, identified the priest as Fr. Michael Ufana of St. Joseph Parish.
"Ufana was reportedly with his parents who were celebrating their wedding anniversary yesterday when the rebels took them in Barangay Sta. Catalina," the CBCP said on its news site, citing information from Huesca.
A separate report on dzBB radio Tuesday night said the MNLF is also holding his parents and sister hostage.
The CBCP quoted Zamboanga Archdiocese administrator Msgr. Crisologo Manongas as saying Ufana was trapped in the standoff.
"All the time they were there until eventually their house was forced open by the MNLF and the rebels used it as a place where they put their guns," Manongas said.
Manongas said they have been praying for the safety of the hostages and an end to the violence.
"We are praying. That is all we can do for now because we have to leave the rest to the authorities. We are also helping in distribution of food to those stranded in the evacuation centers," he said.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
The Daily Jot
Finding joy in troubled times
I have been receiving a lot of comments lately from Daily Jot readers. Many have been very encouraging. Others are appalled at the state of affairs in our nation and around the world. Still some are angry and do not want to admit the obvious that is before them.
Sometimes it is a good idea to take a step back, take a deep breath, and look at the world from a different angle. When I started the Daily Jot back in January of 2002, I sensed the Lord wanted a brief testimony of daily events that could equip and encourage people to share the Good News. Most of the Daily Jot readers, especially those who have been reading a while, "get it." But I want to encourage all readers to keep things in perspective.
The Bible is about Jesus Christ and what he did to bring salvation to a fallen world. There are many examples of how we are to live our lives and how we are to treat others. A good friend of mine says "You reap what you sow, more than what you sow, later than you sow." He's got a great point. It really is a law of God. So if you read the Jot and use it to share a Biblical perspective by discussing a current event, then you have planted a seed. Unlike seeds that you plant in a garden, you may never see the growth of that seed, but God's word does not return void. I want to encourage you to share what is in the Daily Jot with others--either verbally, or via email, or any other way that you see fit.
The Daily Jot is NOT intended to bring you distress or sorrow or fear. As Christians, we are often mocked for saying that we are living in the end times. They say that every generation thinks that. But the fact of the matter is that every day brings us closer to the Biblical end times. Certainly, there are many prophetic indicators that tell us we are getting closer and closer to the return of Christ the Messiah. How wonderful is that? We know from scripture that things are going to get worse the closer we get. But we are encouraged in Ephesians 6:13, "Wherefore take unto you the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand."
Part of what the Daily Jot is intended to do is to rally folks to do the right thing. Romans 12:21 says "Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good." Our country long has been a beacon of Christian hope to the rest of the world. I know. I have traveled quite a bit and hear what people say. We have a legal say in how things are done in our country. But because we have diverted our attention away from God and from His precepts of good citizenship, our beacon is dimming. Solomon said in Ecclesiastes 3 that he has seen travail of the labors of men. "I know there is no good in them, but for a man to rejoice and to do good in his life. And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labor, it is the gift of God." Don't let these troubled times get you down. Find joy in Christ's labors.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
[ Thank you, Bill Wilson! - the editors ]
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
"Spiritual TNT"-Repentance Goes International
9/11 reminds us that we are engaged in spiritual warfare . . . Concerned Believers worldwide are joining forces on their knees for the ultimate battle against unseen rulers, powers, and spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places now threatening our lives, families and nations. As the world seems to be spinning out of control, now more than ever we need God's Providential intervention. God does not require large numbers, but like Gideon's rag-tag army of 300 He requires humility. Will you be one of His faithful repenting with us?
(Middletown, CA)-REPENT! For some this sounds as much fun as a root canal. But Repentance is gaining in popularity worldwide; there's a growing awareness that the depth of our social, geo-political and economic problems require the time-tested "call on God" solution. When Believers in Him humbly repent, we grow in Christ and He heals our lands. (2 Chronicles 7:13-15).
This first week of September also coincides with the "Ten Days of Awe" in the Hebrew tradition. Beginning with Rosh Hashanah (The Jewish New Year) and culminating on Yom Kippur (The Day of Atonement) -- this time period marks a Biblically mandated occasion to fast, pray and repent.
The National Day of Repentance movement, founded several years ago by Pastor Jeffrey Daly, has gained considerable traction and should perhaps more appropriately be renamed the "International Day of Repentance." This year it has spread to thirty or more nations across the globe. Beginning at sunset September 13 through nightfall Saturday September 14, participants are encouraged to do no usual profit-making work but to simply spend time praying and interceding for their nations, communities and families as well as personally repenting.
The day may be doubly powerful this year as it coincides with the Jewish Sabbath. Many Believers have reported an "open heaven" on previous days of repentance. One member described the event last year as "spiritual TNT."
Beginning at sunset September 13 (tonight) through nightfall September 14, Believers in Christ across denominations and national boundaries will again set aside a day of repentance in homes and churches. You too are invited to fast, pray and repent, interceding for your nation, community, and family as well as personally repenting. This day connects again with Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement, a Biblically mandated occasion to fast, pray and repent.
The movement has also linked up with the Australian Billion Souls Prayer Revival Call, a 40 day prayer, fasting and repentance initiative seeking to bring a billion souls into God's Kingdom and increase awareness about social/political issues that detrimentally affect nations. Australia recently had an upset election that many believe occurred as a result of this devout prayer initiative. Prime Minister Rudd was ousted, in part, due to his pro-gay marriage stance which voters rejected. The Australian election was coincidentally held on the same day, September 7th, in which Pope Francis called for a global day of prayer, fasting and repentance.
Many believe we are living in Biblical "end times." Repentance is a key "spiritual weapon" for a time such as this. From Pope Francis to the grassroots movement of Day of Repentance, concerned Believers worldwide are joining forces on their knees for the ultimate battle against unseen rulers, powers, and spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places now threatening our lives, families and nations. As the world seems to be spinning out of control, now more than ever we need God's Providential intervention. God does not require large numbers, but like Gideon's rag-tag army of 300 He requires humility. Will you be one of His faithful repenting with us?
Interestingly, when Jesus began his earthly ministry, His first words were "REPENT -- for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand!"
Not surprisingly, it appears that Jesus will have the last word as well.
Pastor Jeffrey Daly
National Day of Repentance
Billion Souls Prayer Call
The International Day of Repentance
(Yom Kippur, Israel's National Day of Atonement)
Devotional for Day 40
14 September 2013
[Please note: We feel to publish the teaching for Day 40, below, as it is in alignment with the International Day of Repentance, and with Yom Kippur.
We encourage all of you to please seek out the wonderful teaching for Day 39, submitted by Daniel Lim of the International House of Prayer Kansas City, by going here. Thank you.]
Submitted by: Pastor Jeffrey Daly,
National Day of Repentance
Intention: I ask, Lord, on this International Day of Prayer, Fasting and Repentance that you cleanse our consciences from dead works to serve You more intimately and with the zeal and joy of an overcomer.
For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh, how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? (Hebrews 9:13-14)
Today is a huge day in the body of Christ in many nations. Thousands, taking time to be alone with the Lord; praying with the Holy Spirit's loving guidance; "afflicting our souls" (Leviticus 23: 26-32) will seek and will receive forgiveness from the Lord for a laundry list of past sins, old strongholds, outdated inner vows, and generational curses.
We all have these "dead works" and they have weighed down our service to Him to advance His Kingdom. Repentance is a real change in life's direction away from the flesh and the world towards His Purity. Today, and every day, thanks to the Lord's perfect blood, is a day to become a clean vessel of the Holy Spirit, to repent, to become an overcomer, soon to sit with Him on His throne as He also overcame and now sits with His Father on His throne. (Revelation 3:19-21).
As we individually renounce the "dead works" we all carry around with us, He restores our souls (Psalm 23:3); and intimacy with the Lord and His joy always follows repentance. As the power of repentance catches on, lukewarmness in the body will dissipate; apostasy will be confronted; new believers will come into the Kingdom; unity in the body of Christ will increase. A growing remnant within the Bride will continue to awaken, more and more ready to meet the soon-returning Bridegroom. And repentance will be received as a common practice. We will serve the living God with fresh zeal for the power of repentance to change our lives and advance the godly destiny of our nations.
Prayer: Dear Lord, if one very reluctant man, Jonah, could trigger massive repentance in a wicked pagan nation, causing You, Lord, to relent from the disaster that You said You would bring upon them (Jonah 3: 10), we pray today that the outpouring of repentance in Your body on this holy Day of Atonement will please You and will awaken Your Bride to be ready for Your soon coming. I pray this in Your Holy Name, Lord Jesus. Amen and amen. "
[Footnote from Capitol Hill Prayer Partners: Please allow an attitude of repentance to permeate your own walk in Christ, not just on one day, or on 21 days, but every day we live to praise Him and to serve Him with our whole heart. Amen.]
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
BY GRACE ALONE
by Maranatha Singers
which God supplies
He will provide
Christ in us
We will go forth in Grace alone