Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Israel Report Volume I, Number 9a
Sunday, August 4, 2013
"I will subdue all your enemies."
(I Chronicles 17:10)
> > > Please note: Number 9b of the Vol. 1 of the Israel Report will be published tomorrow morning.
Photo of Excavation of King David's Palace, in Judea
Headlines: Update - The Peace Talks
Headlines: Update - The Peace Talks
- PEACE NEGOTIATIONS RESUME IN D.C.
- ISRAEL POSSIBLY TO LOSE 15% OF SETTLEMENT BLOCS IN FUTURE DEAL
- OBAMA: ACTION ON IRAN IN RETURN FOR PEACE TALKS
- THE SPECIAL SIGNIFICANCE OF THE IFTAR MEAL IN THE PEACE PROCESS
1. PEACE NEGOTIATIONS RESUME IN D.C.
Peace negotiations with Palestinian representatives began this week at the State Department led by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and Ambassador Martin Indyk.
At the press conference on Tuesday, Secretary Kerry said that "The parties have agreed to remain engaged in sustained, continuous, and substantive negotiations on the core issues, and they will meet within the next two weeks in either Israel or the Palestinian Territories in order to begin the process of formal negotiation. And they [final status issues] are on the table with one simple goal: a view to ending the conflict, ending the claims."
Justice Minister Tzipi Livni expressed Israel's full support of Secretary Kerry's initiative to resume peace negotiations: "But I can assure you that these negotiations - in these negotiations, it's not our intention to argue about the past, but to create solutions and make decisions for the future . . . A new opportunity is being created for us, for all of us, and we cannot afford to waste it. (The Embassy of Israel) Read more.
- Pray that results from the peace talks will not be contrary to God's purposes for this time in history.
- "The nations raged, the kingdoms were moved; He uttered His voice, the earth melted. The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge." (Psalm 46:6-7)
[Prayers offered by Bridges for Peace]
2. ISRAEL POSSIBLY TO LOSE 15% OF SETTLEMENT BLOCS IN FUTURE DEAL
US officials estimate that Israel will lose about 15% of "major settlement blocs" in Judea and Samaria in any final status deal worked out with the Palestinian Authority. Secretary of State John Kerry said in discussions with members of the House of Representatives that Israel's interests are being safeguarded. Core issues were reportedly raised during the initial meetings in Washington between Israeli and PA negotiators, including the question of when to address the status of Jerusalem. Kerry said he believes approximately 85% of Israel's largest "settlement blocs" will remain under the state's sovereignty. Kerry's reply to the question of whether the PA will be willing to formally recognize Israel as a Jewish state was noncommittal, however: "That's one of my goals," he said, "a homeland for the Jewish people." Israel was already recognized in 1948 by the UN as a "homeland for the Jewish people," so that point is not at all new. (Arutz-7)
- Pray no deception or manipulation on the part of the nations regarding Israel will delay G-d's purposes for His land and His beloved people.
- "Are You not our God, who drove out the inhabitants of this land before Your people Israel, and gave it to the descendants of Abraham Your friend forever?" (2 Chronicles 20:7)
3. OBAMA: ACTION ON IRAN IN RETURN FOR PEACE TALKS
US President Obama gave a commitment to PM Netanyahu, to take action "in the coming months" regarding the Iranian nuclear threat, in exchange for Israel's agreement to renew "peace talks" with the Palestinian Authority, a security source has revealed. The source added that it was not clear if the commitment was given in exchange for the fact that Israel-PA negotiations are being held, or if it is conditional on their success. Netanyahu's agreement to release terrorist murderers from Israeli jails appears to derive from the same agreement. Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon may have been hinting at this when he said Monday that "Perhaps, one day, the strategic considerations that stood behind the decision to free the Palestinian prisoners will be revealed."
In recent months, Obama has been dragging out the process of reaching a decision on a strike in Iran that would damage its nuclear weapons program. This indecision has affected Israel, too, since even a unilateral Israeli strike requires full cooperation from the US. (Arutz-7)
- On the issue of Iran, Israel is clearly between a rock and a hard place. If no other nation moves to take down Iran's nuclear capabilities, Israel must act. We pray that the intentions of Mr. Obama are one of integrity, and we come against any desire to "play the Iran card' as a precondition for the peace negotiations. The United States must stand behind Israel, as its unshakeable ally, in all matters related to her security - no matter what.
- Lift up P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu as he daily faces amazing challenges for the safety and security of his people. ". . . even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast." (Psalm 139:10)
4. THE SPECIAL SIGNIFICANCE OF THE IFTAR MEAL IN THE PEACE PROCESS
By Kimberly Rogers, Contributing Editor
Hebrew Nation News
All negotiators know that understanding the culture of a people is paramount to the process of treaty negotiations. A business deal or a cease fire can be undone because of a cultural snafu. The Israeli-Palestinian peace negotiations just took a significant turn within the cultural context of those two countries yet few have recognized the prophetic importance of what just happened.
This past Monday evening, the Israelis and Americans both came into covenant with Allah by eating the food dedicated to Allah on Allah's Ramadan holiday! Most westerners will view this as just a nice gesture toward peace because we don't understand that the Bible is written in light of ancient near east context which the two countries still uphold in these modern times. Just a few days before, Obama had hosted a fifth Iftar dinner at the White House during Ramadan. Americans have gotten used to this "muslim stuff" in the White House, so what is the big deal and big difference between those other Iftar dinners and this one? Those other dinners celebrated Ramadan, but they were not related to the official business of making a treaty between two parties.
What happened to the Children of Israel when they made covenant with Peor (Num 25:1-2)? YHVH exercised His right to destroy them under the terms of their covenant agreement with Him! A plague killed 24,000 of them came because they ate the sacrifices of Peor (meat dedicated to Peor) and committed fornication with the Midianite women. We may believe that this ancient near east context no longer applies, but we would be wrong. YHVH does not change. His definition of what constitutes a covenant is still the same. Eating a meal with people who are engaged in the celebration of their god with meat dedicated to that god constitutes making a covenant with that god according to every definition given by YHVH in scripture.
Furthermore, the people of the near east still live in a culture that honors the ancient near east context. Nothing has changed there. This understanding is thousands of years old. The peace treaties of the past several decades were always sealed with a dinner but never before have the treaty negotiators eaten a meal with the enemy on that enemy's holiday with meat that was dedicated to their enemy's god.
Yes, on Monday, July 29, 2013, both Israel and America became muslim nations in the eyes of YHVH. Israel is no longer just a Jewish nation. She is Israel in covenant with YHVH's enemy, Allah. America is no longer just a Christian nation. She is a nation in covenant with YHVH's enemy, Allah. YHVH views this as idolatry and treason!
Did the participants of this dinner know what they were doing? Yes they did! Why else would they fly the PA flag next to the Israeli flag in the Knesset on the SAME day for the first time every in history!? That flag flew in the Knesset BEFORE the dinner was held! Oh yes, my friends, Tzipi Livni and Saeb Erekat knew exactly what they were doing! John Kerry's blind and insane desire for fame makes him culpable, too. (HHN) Read more.
- Stand in the gap and offer a prayer of repentance for Secretary of State John Kerry and the Israeli delegation who participated in this Itfar dinner. In trying to extend the hand of friendship to "the other side," a great abomination has taken place in the eyes of our Lord. Ask our Lord to forgive all, for they know not what they do. In His name, Amen.
- "Now then, are you turning away from following the LORD today? If you rebel against the LORD today, by tomorrow he will be angry with the entire community of Israel." (Joshua 22:18)
Headlines: Inside Israel
- NETANYAHU: ROUHANI REVEALS HIS TRUE COLORS SOONER THAN EXPECTED
- HOUSE OVERWHELMINGLY ADOPTS STRONG NEW SANCTIONS AGAINST IRANIAN NUCLEAR PROGRAM
- ULTRA- ORTHODOX HAREDI SOLDIERS SHOW HIGH MOTIVATION
- IDF PREPARES FOR ROCKET ATTACKS IN UNPRECEDENTED EXERCISE
- MISSILE FIRED AT BUILDING IN NORTHERN SINAI; ISRAEL SPARED
1. NETANYAHU: ROUHANI REVEALS HIS TRUE COLORS SOONER THAN EXPECTED
PM Binyamin Netanyahu responded Friday to Iranian President Hassan Rouhani's remarks in which he was cited as saying that Israel "has been a wound on the body of the Islamic world for years and should be removed." Rouhani made the derogatory statements against Israel after taking part in an annual "Al Quds Day" rally in Tehran on Friday. Netanyahu said that "Rouhani's true face has been revealed earlier than expected. Even if they will now rush to deny his remarks, this is what the man thinks and this is the plan of the Iranian regime." Speaking of western commentators who have referred to Rouhani as a "moderate" who could depart from the aggressive foreign policy of his predecessor, the Prime Minister cited his recent remarks as a wake up call to the world. Iranians held massive anti-Israel rallies on August 2, the last Friday of Ramadan. (Arutz-7)
- It has not taken long, indeed, for this dangerous man - the new president of Iran - to show his true colors. Offer praise that P.M. Netanyahu is speaking truth, and is signaling a wake-up call to the nations that the imminent danger of a nuclear Iran has not gone away. Pray that all will take note, and will act accordingly, in His Name, amen.
- "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (John 8:32)
2. HOUSE OVERWHELMINGLY ADOPTS STRONG NEW SANCTIONS AGAINST IRANIAN NUCLEAR PROGRAM
Sends A Strong Message to Iranian Regime
WASHINGTON - AIPAC commends the House of Representatives for today approving - with overwhelming bi-partisan support - new, tough legislation designed to thwart Iran's nuclear weapons program. The House today sent a strong message to the Iranian regime- America will not reduce pressure on the Islamic Republic until it changes course on its nuclear program.
The Nuclear Iran Prevention Act (H.R. 850) significantly expands U.S. sanctions on Iran by granting the president specific authorization to bar companies from doing business in the United States if they carry out significant trade with Tehran. The legislation expands sanctions to strategic sectors of the Iranian economy not targeted by previous legislation. And the legislation is designed further to dramatically reduce Iran's exports of crude oil and petroleum condensates.
The bill -- authored by House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Ed Royce (R-CA) and Ranking Member Eliot Engel (D-NY) -- also stiffens penalties for violations of existing law and expands sanctions targeting Iran's human rights violations. The measure aims to maximize the effectiveness of American economic and diplomatic efforts.
Now that the House has taken forceful action, AIPAC urges the Senate to move quickly on its own version of sanctions legislation. The window is rapidly closing to prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapons capability. (AIPAC)
- Praise God for this commitment by Congress to see Iran stop its nuclear development and to stop its condemnation of Israel. Pray that the Senate will also join in the vote against Iran.
- "Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him." (1 John 2 : 25)
3. ULTRA- ORTHODOX HAREDI SOLDIERS SHOW HIGH MOTIVATION
Ministers Yaakov Peri and Limor Livnat visited Haredi soldiers on their Tel Nof air base. While work in the Knesset continues on a universal draft bill that would bring the ultra-Orthodox into the military or national service, the army reported on Wednesday that Haredi soldiers that have already joined up show high levels of motivation and satisfaction in their military service.
Fully 85 percent of soldiers in Shachar, an IDF program that offers service tracks for young men from the ultra-Orthodox community, report they are "very proud" of their service, according to a survey conducted by the IDF's Manpower Directorate published this week.
The program was started in 2007 to draft members of the Haredi community into the technical corps of the Air Force, and later expanded to other parts of the military. Officials touted the program as a boost to helping Haredi men, many of whom would otherwise choose full-time Torah study, integrate into the civilian workforce.
Seventy-six percent said their jobs in the IDF would help them advance professionally in the future, 79% said they were "satisfied" with the military unit in which they served, 75% said they feel their work is necessary and 37% said they were interested in becoming officers.
Tension in the Haredi community has skyrocketed in recent weeks over the possibility that its young men will be forced to join military or national service. Young Haredi men, especially those already serving in the IDF soldiers, have faced a wave of anti-military sentiment that has included senior rabbis from the Haredi sector attacking political leaders who are advancing the universal service legislation, and at least three physical attacks on Haredi soldiers in July in Haredi neighborhoods in Jerusalem.
Thursday's draft marks the largest single wave of Haredi enlistment yet, according to the IDF. Most of the soldiers are slated for the Netzach Yehuda infantry battalion, formerly known as Nahal Haredi. An unnamed "senior IDF source" told Army Radio Wednesday that "despite recent events and the attempts to harm Haredi soldiers, the trend of increasing Haredi enlistment has only strengthened."
Last year, a High Court of Justice ruling declared a long-standing exemption from conscription for Haredi men, the "Tal Law," to be unconstitutional. The parties who make up the current government have vowed to fulfill their election promise to enact a more "equitable" universal national service.
An early draft of the government's universal draft legislation passed the Ministerial Committee for Legislation last month. The ad hoc committee chaired by MK Shaked will meet every Thursday during the Knesset's current recess, which began Wednesday and will continue until October, to prepare the bill for passage during the Knesset's winter session. (Times of Israel)
- Praise the Lord for so many young people wanting to enlist into the IDF. Praise the Lord for the satisfaction of the new soldiers with their work. Pray that the new soldiers may continue their jobs without interference from the "constitional law" and even their lives inside of Israel. Pray for wisdom as the ad hoc committee continues its work.
- "So speak you and do so ,as they shall be judged by the law of liberty." (James 2 :12)
4. IDF PREPARES FOR ROCKET ATTACKS IN UNPRECEDENTED EXERCISE
The IDF [Israel Defense Forces] Home Front Command held a large-scale exercise last week, simulating a rocket attack in Karnei Shomron-a community in Israel's Judea and Samaria region. The drill was unprecedented in scope, preparing IDF forces to handle the aftermath of a severe strike.
Israel's civilians live under the constant threat of rocket attacks. Hamas terrorists in Gaza are known to fire rockets on communities in Israel's southern region. In addition, Hezbollah terrorists in Lebanon hold more than 60,000 rockets and missiles capable of striking anywhere in Israel.
In preparation for last week's [week of July 21] exercise, the IDF built a massive disaster site, placing dummies beneath piles of debris to represent trapped civilians. The disaster site was designed to make the exercise highly realistic, modeling the implications of a real-life rocket attack.
According to Col. (res.) Danny Twiser, an IDF commander who oversaw the exercise, the disaster site was a major step forward in the training of IDF rescuers. "It is usually difficult for us to practice scenarios like this, because we need to create a disaster site," explained Col. (res.) Twiser. "This time, we were able to offer the rescue battalion sites in which they could train to strengthen their skills."
The exercise also prepared IDF forces to carry out rescue efforts in Palestinian communities. "It is a subject that sits on our doorstep and we don't exempt ourselves from looking after Palestinian villages," Col. (res.) Twiser emphasized. "It is impossible to enter a Palestinian village with the same ease with which we enter an Israeli community, so we developed exercises that will enable us to assist in an emergency. The drills include cooperation between the Israeli and Palestinian leaderships."
In addition to rocket attacks, the exercise prepared forces to deal with earthquakes, terrorist bombings and other types of emergencies. "We built a very high sense of preparedness. The exercise brought up a unique range of challenges, and the cooperation between civilian officials was very high," Col. (res.) Twiser concluded. "Today, the region is highly prepared for a number of possible incidents." (Israel Defense Forces) Read more.
- Ask God to prepare the men and women who are being trained to protect the citizens of Israel in case of war. Pray for the strength and wisdom of their leaders and the organizations involved in the drills.
- "Then you will understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God. For the LORD gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding; He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk uprightly."
5. MISSILE FIRED AT BUILDING IN NORTHERN SINAI; ISRAEL SPARED
A defense source from Egypt's Ministry of the Interior said that a missile fired at a security directorate building in northern Sinai injured three members of the security forces on Sunday [July 28].
The missile hit the building's third floor. Security forces arrested three suspects including a Palestinian.
- Thank the Lord these missiles did not land in Israel. Ask Him to keep a protective hedge along the southern border for the safety of Israeli citizens as well as the members of the IDF stationed in the area.
- "For God will save Zion and build the cities of Judah, that they may dwell there and possess it. Also, the descendants of His servants shall inherit it, and those who love His name shall dwell in it." (Psalm 69: 35-36)
This Week, Worship Our Lord As . . .
This Week, Worship Our Lord As . . .
O Father, Upright One, You who dwell in righteousness, how I praise You. Thank You that everything that You do is perfect and right. There is no favoritism in You; just and true are all Your ways. I thank You for Your blessings in my life. Amen.
(Source: THE NAME- HaShem: Daily Devotional Worship by Dr. Barri Cae Mallin)
Available on Amazon.com by going here.