Get ready to CryOutAmerica on September 11th! See below . . .
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Friday, August 9, 2013
"He is at my right hand, so that I will not be shaken." (Acts 2:25)
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting that your name be added to our list of subscribers.
VISIT OUR BLOG!
CHPP's blog includes archives of past editions of all of our alerts, as well as features on praying for the government, Israel, and other key issues.
Come visit us by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. Obama asks public schools to ignore bad behavior by black students - The Examiner
On July 26th Obama signed an executive order titled the "African American Education Initiative." The order essentially gives a green light for black students to misbehave in public schools. In two places, Obama's executive order calls on schools to reduce the number disciplinary actions taken against blacks students. The order specifically calls on schools to "not rely on methods that result in disparate use of disciplinary tools." (Read more)
- Father, we are appalled that our federal government would actually encourage discrimination based on race. We ask that there be a great outcry of opposition to singling out of any race for any special treatment. Again, regarding this president's use of "executive orders" to further his own personal and political agenda, and circumventing Congress to do it, we ask that Congress would make the changes necessary to prevent the abuse of these orders. Give wisdom, O Lord, to those who are affected by this executive order, and may the desire to control how students are disciplined, or not disciplined, on a federal level, be thwarted, we pray. Amen.
- "Hold fast to discipline, don't let it go; guard it, for it is your life."Whoever disregards discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honored." (Proverbs 4:13;Proverbs 13:18)
2. ObamaCare 'death panel' faces growing opposition from Democrats - The Hill
ObamaCare's cost-cutting board -- memorably called a "death panel" by Sarah Palin -- is facing growing opposition from Democrats who say it will harm people on Medicare. Former Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean drew attention to the board designed to limit Medicare cost growth when he called for its repeal in an op-ed late last month. . . (Read more)
- Father, we thank You that there is growing opposition to the changes ObamaCare would bring to seniors on Medicare. We ask that these "death panels" that would deny care to the elderly, be stopped dead in their tracks. We ask that You would give wisdom and compassion to those involved in these decisions, we pray, Amen.
- "Cast me not off nor send me away in the time of old age; forsake me not when my strength is spent and my powers fail."Till your old age I will be the same--I will carry you until your hair is white. I have made you, and I will bear you, yes, I will carry and save you." (Psalm 71:9;Isaiah 46:4)
3. U.S. Congress wins relief on Obamacare health plan subsidies - Reuters
Congress has won some partial relief for lawmakers and their staffs from the "Obamacare" health reforms that it passed and subjected itself to three years ago. In a ruling issued on Wednesday, U.S. lawmakers and their staffs will continue to receive a federal contribution toward the health insurance that they must purchased through soon-to-open exchanges created by President Barack Obama's signature healthcare law.
The decision by the Office of Personnel Management, with Obama's blessing, will prevent the largely unintended loss of healthcare benefits for 535 members of the Senate and House of Representatives and thousands of Capitol Hill staff. (Read more)
- Abba, if Congress needs "relief" from Obamacare, how much more do we? Congress passed this law three years ago, without even reading it; thereby endangering and burdening their own constituents. We pray they will realize their error, and take responsibility, and reverse this legislation before it can begin in January. We humbly beg for Your mercy and Your grace, Amen.
- "There is something else wrong that happens here on earth. It is the kind of mistake rulers make: Fools are given important positions while gifted people are given lower ones." (Ecclesiastes 10:5,6)
4. Blue Cross, Aetna, United, Humana Flee Obamacare Exchanges - CNS News
Major health insurance companies--Blue Cross, Aetna, United, Humana--have decided not to participate in various states in the Obamacare health-insurance exchanges that will be the only place Americans will be able to buy a health insurance plan using the federal subsidies authorized under the Obamacare law.
- Abba, we thank You that You are revealing more and more about these healthcare changes about to take effect, and ask that the people of this nation will contact their Senators and Representatives in Congress, and pressure them to rescind this piece of legislation that the citizens do not want. We ask in Your Name, Amen.
- "Keep your eyes focused on what is right, and look straight ahead to what is good. Be careful what you do,and always do what is right." (Proverbs 4:25,26)
5. Dems Favor Federal Bailout of Detroit, But Majority of Public Opposed - Real Clear Politics
A new national poll from Quinnipiac University shows that a majority Democrats believe the federal government should bail out Detroit, but an even larger majority of Americans oppose such a move. Fifty-one percent of Democrats support Washington providing federal assistance to Detroit, which last month became the largest American city ever to seek bankruptcy protection.
- Abba, we ask that Congress will recognize the will of the people is to not bail Detroit out of their bankruptcy, and that thereby, Congress will abide by the will of the people, whom they represent. The cause of Detroit's insolvency is the very real aspect of "throwing money" at their problems, and now they have run out of that money. We ask for Your divine wisdom to be upon every member of Congress, regardless of their political affiliations, that they may see the cause of this problem, and not continue to perpetuate it by giving them more money from the pockets of the rest of the nation. In Your Name we pray, Amen.
- "Remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of their way will save them from death and cover over a multitude of sins." (James 5:20)
6. Obama asks Congress to give move oversight to NSA spying powers -
President Obama on Friday will unveil a sweeping response to privacy concerns raised by revelations of massive National Security Agency surveillance programs. Obama will ask Congress to narrow and improve oversight of Section 215 of the Patriot Act, which allows the government to collect phone records, and to carve out a role for civil libertarians in courts that give government agencies the warrants to grab data from private citizens and companies.
Read more: http://thehill.com/video/administration/316403-obama-asks-congress-to-curtail-nsas-spying-powers#ixzz2bVpniSxp Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook The effort is intended to stem the controversy over the size and scope of the NSA programs revealed by Edward Snowden, a former government contractor wanted for espionage and granted asylum by Russia. (Read the story here.)
- Offer praise to the Lord at the news of this development, but please remain watchful over the entire matter of our privacy rights being violated. America has been designed to be a free country -- free of undue governmental interference over the private lives of our citizens. Let's lift up both Congress and the White House as they seek to revise these NSA surveillance guidelines. In His Name, amen.
- "The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles." (Psalm 34:17)
7. U.S. removes embassy staff in Pakistan as violence rocks country - AP
The U.S. is pulling its staff from the embassy in Lahore, Pakistan, and is advising Americans not to travel to the country. "The presence of several foreign and indigenous terrorist groups poses a potential danger to U.S. citizens throughout Pakistan," the U.S. State Department said. Meanwhile, at least six people were killed and 15 injured today by gunmen in the city of Quetta.
- Even as the urgent alerts from last weekend are calming down, members of al Qaeda are still out there, and they have not relented in their mission: global jiah. Remain watchful in your own neighborhood, even as you pray for the safety of the citizens of Pakistan. Thank the Lord that our effective prayers avail much, and that -- through forgiveness of our enemies -- we can overcome evil with good. In Jesus' Name, amen.
- "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"I will subdue all your enemies." (I Chronicles 17:10)
1. White House lobbies Israel to stop lobbying Congress on Iran policy - World Tribune
The United States is stepping up efforts to dissuade Israel's government from criticizing the policy of President Barack Obama toward Iran, officials said.
2. PM: Israel will not sign additional agreements with EU - Ynet News
At a cabinet meeting Thursday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu decided that Israel will not sign additional agreements with the European Union, such as a scientific cooperation agreement, due to the expected EU limitations on the settlements.
3. Erekat to Kerry: act to prevent Israel's settlement plans - AP
The second round of U.S.-brokered Mideast peace talks will be held next week, the State Department said Thursday, even as the Palestinians protested new Israeli settlement activity.
4. Israel fears next war with Hezbollah will hit civilians harder - LA Times
As tensions escalate along Israel's northern border, a senior military official warned that the next war with Hezbollah would be far more painful for Israeli citizens than any previous experience.
5. US decries settlement activity, confirms Indyk headed to Israel - Times of Israel
Washington criticized Israel for a recent move to support settlements, and confirmed that its new Mideast peace envoy will be in Jerusalem and Jericho next week for a second round of Israeli-Palestinian peace talks.
6. EU, Israel headed for showdown over settlement rules - Times of Israel
Despite heavy criticism from Israel, the European Union will not cancel, modify or delay the implementation of recently published guidelines that block EU funding from Israeli institutions either located or maintaining any links beyond the Green Line, a top EU official said this week.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day." (I Timothy 1:12)
1. Christians in Central India Await Outcome of Anti-Conversion Amendment - (Charisma News)
The state of Madhya Pradesh in central India awaits the outcome of proposed amendments to its "anti-conversion law," which would lengthen prison time and increase fines for anyone convicted of forcing someone to change their religion. Across India, "Anti-Forced Conversion" Laws are used by Hindu radicals to persecute Christian ministers, often beating them and getting them falsely imprisoned for "forcefully converting" a Hindu.
* Pray that the amendment to the "anti-conversion law" will not be passed
* Pray that laws used to persecute Christian ministers will be removed
2. Christian Students in Eritrea Punished for Faith in Jesus Christ - (Baptist Press)
Thirty nine high school students in Eritrea have been singled out by the government and are being punished for their faith in Jesus Christ. The students have been excluded from their graduation ceremony and could potentially face imprisonment. It is illegal for Christians to worship outside of highly regulated government churches in Eritrea.
* Pray for the Christian students as they face persecution for their faith
* Pray for safety and protection over the Christian students
3. Four Egyptians Killed in Outbreak of Sectarian Violence - (International Christian Concern)
Four Christian men were killed and more than 27 Christians' homes were looted and destroyed by a mob of Muslims. Life threatening injuries, from being stabbed and beaten, occurred after a mob of Muslims stormed their homes. Despite repeated calls from local residents and religious leaders, the security forces did little to intervene on behalf of the Christians in the village of Nagaa Hassan in Al-Dabaiya, near Luxor Egypt.
* Pray for the families of the four Christian men who were killed
* Pray for the Christian families who are recovering from the attack * Pray for the persecution of Christians in Egypt to stop
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
CRY OUT AMERICA!
On September 11th, CRY OUT AMERICA!
Every State . . .
Every County . . .
Every Church . . .
Every Heart . . .
The Awakening America Alliance is so thankful for all you are doing to mobilize prayer through your ministry. As the National Coordinator for the Cry Out America prayer initiative, I wanted to offer you an opportunity to be part of an extraordinary, united prayer effort on Patriot Day, September 11, 2013.
Cry Out America is now in its sixth year and is rapidly gaining momentum. Our goal has been to mobilize prayer movements in each of the 3,143 counties of the United States. This unified effort of believers from a wide range of denominations seeks deep transformation and a Christ-awakening in our nation. We believe America is on the verge of a sweeping move of God's Spirit that will touch every state, every county, every church, and every heart.
On September 11, 2012, approximately 260,000 people united in prayer gatherings across all 50 states and at 2,600 registered prayer points, including Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. You might like to visit the Awakening America website (www.awakeningamerica.us) to learn more about our free resources and promotional media for the 9/11 gatherings in 2013.
We believe that as a result of our crying out to God for revival in America, the ministries you serve will experience greater effectiveness and an increased harvest of souls for the kingdom of God.
Without doubt, we know you can be a wonderful blessing by helping to motivate those in your sphere of influence to become involved in Crying Out to God for America. If you can recommend individuals whom you believe could serve as county coordinators for the Cry Out America grassroots prayer initiative, that would be tremendous (my contact information is below). I look forward to networking with you as we continue . . .
Seeking Awakening in America,
CRY OUT AMERICA
INTERNATIONAL CENTER FOR SPIRITUAL RENEWAL
Awakening America Alliance
PO Box 3986
Cleveland, TN 37320-3986
Office: (423) 478-7078 Fax: (423) 478-7753
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Prayer during Rescue Operation Brings Priestly Presence and a Miracle
The mysterious priest does not show up in the nearly 70 photos of the accident scene-yet he was seen by the firefighters as he prayed for them and the victim.
(Center, MO)-Early on Sunday morning, August 4, emergency personnel were called to the scene of an accident where they found 19-year-old Kate Lentz trapped in an older model Mercedes after having been hit head-on by a vehicle driven by 26-year-old Aaron Smith.
Due to the solid construction of the Mercedes, rescuers found themselves working frantically for 45-minutes to extricate Lentz to no avail.
New London Fire Chief Raymond Reed said that by that time medical crews had determined Lentz was "failing and fast." Shortly after that assessment, Kate Lentz asked those working to free her to start praying out loud with her.
Out of nowhere, notes a KHQA News report, a priest suddenly appeared.
Said Fire Chief Reed: "He came up and approached the patient and offered a prayer. It was a Catholic priest who had anointing oil with him. A sense of calmness came over her [Lentz] and it did us as well. I can't be for certain how it was said, but myself and another firefighter, we very plainly heard that we should remain calm, that our tools would now work and that we would get her out of that vehicle."
Almost immediately after that prayer, the report says the Hannibal Fire Department showed up with fresh equipment and was able to finish the job.
Kate Lentz's friend, Travis Wiseman, was quoted as saying, "Where did this guy come from? We're looking for the priest and so far, no one has seen him. Whether it was a priest as an angel or an actual angel, he was an angel to all those and to Katie."
"We would like to find this gentleman and... thank him," concluded Reed. "It is my feeling that it was nothing more than sheer faith and nothing short of a miracle."
As for Kate, she reportedly suffered broken bones, as well as internal injuries, but is said to be "on the mend" after two surgeries, with two more to go.
Kate's mother reports, "She sustained a lot of injuries, however, her face is beautiful, her teeth are perfect, she is sunshine, and everyone who's contacted us-those emergency personnel, the Missouri State Patrol, the deputies, the firemen-they are all saying the same thing, she never cried, she never screamed, she would just say, 'pray for me and pray out loud.'"
Fittingly, the name of the hospital where Kate is recovering is . . . Blessing.
(Breaking Christian News) Read more.
To see a video of this report, go here.
Billion Souls Revival Prayer Call
Billion Souls Revival Prayer Call
Devotional for Day 4:
9 August 2013
Madukauwa David, Mozambique
Today Pray for Mozambique finishes 40 days of prayer for their country. The theme of their daily prayers has been 'NOT WAR BUT . . . REVIVAL FOR MOZAMBIQUE'. This initiative:
- promotes Biblical discipleship, that is, all round growth in Christ-likeness among His followers, - mobilizes the entire church in the entire nation to take the whole gospel to all persons in Mozambique who are not in the Faith, and
- encourages continuous 24/7 prayer.
Idolatry takes what is God's and gives it to Satan!
Scripture: "Little children, keep yourselves from idols." (1 John 5:21 NKJV).
We are idolaters when we let any person or thing take the place of God in our heart.
That may be ourselves, friends, parents, spouse, work, ministry, possessions, fame, money, sex, pleasure, the media, culture, fashion, dead relatives, political power, an ideology, technology, religion without Christ, or things such as rivers, mountains, animals, sun, moon, stars, animals, etc. Idolatry includes sorcery, witchcraft, divination, astrology, fortune-telling, initiation to cults, secret societies, and covenants with demons, and many other such practices.
Individuals, families, tribes, whole countries and cultures practice idolatry. It is clear that it is not only the uncivilized tribal peoples that may be guilty of idolatry. 21st century technology driven cultures are no less culpable.
Idolaters declare that they hate God and so provoke His jealousy and anger. It results in curse. It opens the door for Satan to rule. It brings only progressive destruction to those engaged in it as Romans 1:18-32 proves.
Can believers in Christ be guilty of idolatry? Yes! Otherwise why would the New Testament give so many warnings on the subject? I believe that idolatry among professing Christians may be more insulting to God than that practiced by children of disobedience. Idolatry among professing Christians may be the one thing that hinders revival in the world today!
Yet there is hope if we will take this counsel to repent given by James to "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up" (James 4:7-10 NIV).
O God, we kneel before you today in confessing idolatry in our lives. We own up to the many ways we have allowed things, even ministry or church to take Your place in our hearts. Father we do not want to continue to insult You in this. Forgive us. Break down and smash every idol that robs you of your glory. We welcome you to rule in our hearts without any rivals. We pray in the name of our Lord Jesus. Amen.
(To view the Four Daily Prayer Points, as well as the Introduction to this prayer strategy, please visit their website by going here. Prayer Guidelines for Saturday, Aug. 10 and Sunday, Aug. 11 are listed there, too.)
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir
Lead me Lord, I'll follow.
Anywhere you open up the door
Let your word speak to me,
Show me what I've never seen before
Lord I want to be your witness,
You can take what's wrong and make it right
Daystar shine down on me,
Let your love shine through me in the night