Threats Facing Israel, Explained
In One (Sort Of Terrifying) Map
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Wednesday, August 28, 2013
Praying the Word of God . . .
in the Will of God . . .
over the Issues of the Day
"His kingdom is one which will not be destroyed,
And His dominion will be forever." (Daniel 6:26)
And His dominion will be forever." (Daniel 6:26)
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at email@example.com, requesting that your name be added to our list of subscribers.
THIS JUST IN!
Threats Facing Israel, Explained In One (Sort Of Terrifying) Map
The Embassy of Israel has produced an infographic and Buzzfeed post outlining the growing threats facing Israel. The post has generated great interest so far from friends and new audiences. The anti-Israel community has also been very vocal about the post on their blogs, in comment sections and on Twitter.
We hope the post, infographic and complementing text, will highlight that Israel is interested in peace, while continuing to be cautious about the threats facing us, paramount among them, the Iranian nuclear threat.
We encourage you to read the post and we welcome you to share it on your channels. Thank you!
> > > To view this material, go here.
The Daily Brief
1. 'I Don't Know What to Think' About White House's Silence on Chris Lane Killing, Says Oklahoma Governor - The Blaze
"What do you make of the silence of people like Al Sharpton, and, quite frankly, the silence of the president?" Chris Wallace, host of Fox News Sunday, asked Fallin. "I don't know what to think about that," Fallin replied. "It would be nice if our nation were to certainly express their condolences." (Read more)
- Although we are grateful that the State Department did issue a muted word of condolence to the family of Chris Lane late last week, we too are saddened by the lack of response on the part of the White House. Please join us in prayer today, asking our Lord to comfort the family of this wonderful young man from Australia, and asking our Lord to forgive Barack Hussein Obama for his silence on this issue . . . for he knows not what he does. In Jesus' Name, amen.
- "Father, forgive him, for he knows not what he does." (Luke 23:34)
2. Cass Sunstein's New Presidential Appointment Is Almost Hard to Believe - The Blaze
President Barack Obama named his controversial former regulatory czar - who as an academic advocated government infiltration of conspiracy theorists - to serve on the NSA oversight panel. Cass Sunstein, who served as the administrator of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs throughout most of the Obama's first term, advocated numerous policies as an academic - including the government infiltrating conspiracy theorist groups by joining "chat rooms, online social networks and real space groups,". . . (Read more)
- Ask our Lord to move upon the heart of President Obama for this apparent error in judgment. Cass Sunstein's record speaks for itself . . . "we" are not the terrorists; rather "we" are the patriots who stand together for the good of God and country. In His Name, amen.
- "These also who erred in spirit will come to understanding, and those who complained will learn doctrine." (Isaiah 29:24)
3. Democrat bill would trigger huge new taxes on guns, ammo - Fox News
A pair of Democratic lawmakers are proposing steep new taxes on handguns and ammunition, and tying the revenues to programs aimed at preventing gun violence. Called the "Gun Violence Prevention and Safe Communities Act," the bill sponsored by William Pascrell, D-N.J., and Danny Davis, D-Ill., would nearly double the current 11 percent tax on handguns, while raising the levy on bullets and cartridges from 11 percent to 50 percent. (Read more)
- Father in heaven, we ask that You overrule this proposed act and block all tax increases on handguns and ammunition. We as a nation need the freedom to protect ourselves by owning handguns and ammunition. God, stand in the way of this act imposing such loaded taxes on this issue. In Jesus' Name.
- "Treasures of wickedness profit nothing: but righteousness delivers from death." (Proverbs 10:2)
4. U.S. will hit debt limit in mid-October, treasury secretary warns - Financial Post
Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew is telling Congress that the U.S. government will hit its borrowing limit in mid-October and urged lawmakers to raise it before then. Lew said in a letter to Speaker John Boehner released Monday that the government is running out of accounting manoeuvres it has used to avoid hitting the US$16.7-trillion borrowing limit. He pressed Congress to act so Treasury can keep paying the government's bills. (Read more)
- Father God, debt brings distress and discontentment to any people or nation. Deliver us from the rulers of darkness that would sink our nation with the unbearable weight of debt. Stretch out Your hand, O God, and hold back the evil forces that daily move to destroy America with debt. In Jesus' Name.
- "Behold, the Lord God will come with strong hand, and His arm shall rule for Him: behold, His reward is with Him, and His work before Him." (Isaiah 40:10)
5. California Rim Fire showers ash on reservoir - BBC
A huge fire in and around California's Yosemite National Park has continued to spread and now covers almost 230 sq miles (600 sq km), officials say. The Rim Fire is now raining ash on a key reservoir that supplies water and hydro-electric power to San Francisco. City officials say they are moving water to lower reservoirs and monitoring supplies for contamination. (Read more)
- Father, You control the fire, the wind, the rain, and water. We pray that mercy be shown to the people who are affected by this fire and through this major happening, draw the people's hearts toward God in deep repentance of sin. May they cry out to God for help as they turn toward You. Keep their water supply safe for consumption as they repent and turn from their wicked ways. In Jesus' Name we pray.
- "Offer unto God thanksgiving: and pay your vows unto the Most High: and call upon Me in the day of trouble: I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me." (Psalm 50:14-15)
6. Russia warns of 'catastrophic consequences' if Syria hit - AFP
"Attempts to bypass the Security Council, once again to create artificial groundless excuses for a military intervention in the region are fraught with new suffering in Syria and catastrophic consequences for other countries of the Middle East and North Africa," foreign ministry spokesman Alexander Lukashevich said. (Read more)
- Lord God, reach out Your hand from heaven and clear the air around the Middle East of all the evil spirits controlling the chaos over Israel and Syria. God, we ask that You govern the direction that America should take and what action should be taken against Syria's use of chemical weapons against its own people. Father, You give the Word that will reign in the evil on the ground. We trust You Lord God to reign over the Middle East and pull these nations into Your course of action. In the Name of Jesus we pray.
- "Our God shall come, and shall not keep silence: a fire shall devour before Him, and it shall be very tempestuous round about Him. He shall call to the heavens from above, and to the earth, that He may judge His people." (Psalm 50:3-4)
7. Boehner to White House: Consult Congress before any Syria action - Jerusalem Post
"The speaker made clear that before any action is taken, there must be meaningful consultation with members of Congress, as well as clearly defined objectives and a broader strategy to achieve stability," Boehner spokesman Brendan Buck said in a statement. (Read more)
- Father, we pray that Your Holy Spirit will come down upon our government today and quell the internal warfare going on the minds of those in authority. We ask that the presence of the Lord will replace the presence of evil in our statesmen. Direct their decisions. Connect them to make right choices without hesitation. Open their minds to hear the voice of God and obey what they hear. In Jesus' Name we pray.
- "The voice of the Lord is upon the waters. The voice of the Lord is powerful. The voice of the Lord is full of majesty. The voice of the Lord is in command. The voice of the Lord controls the flames of fire. The voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness." (Psalm 29:3,4,7,8)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Messiah Yeshua throughout all ages, forever. Amen." (Ephesians 3:20-21)
1. Israel says it won't stay on sidelines if Syria attacks - LA Times
During the 1991 Persian Gulf War, Israel endured dozens of Scud missiles launched by Saddam Hussein's forces, but refrained from retaliating because of U.S. concern that Israeli involvement would fracture the international coalition it had built against Iraq.
2. Ya'alon pledges IDF's 'might' against Syria - Ynet News
Against the background of an impending Western strike in Syria, and facing concerns of Syrian retaliation against Israel, Israeli top brass issued forceful warnings to the Assad regime on Tuesday.
3. Israel readies homefront for possible Syrian attack - Israel Hayom
With U.S.-led military action in Syria potentially imminent, the Knesset Homefront Preparedness Subcommittee will hold a special meeting on Wednesday to examine the homefront's readiness for a Syrian attack against Israel.
4. Iranian Official: Israel to Be 'First Victim' of U.S. Attack on Syria - Washington Free Beacon
A senior Iranian lawmaker said Israel would be the first casualty of any U.S.-led strike on Syria, according to regional media reports.
5. Israeli intelligence seen as central to US case against Syria - Times of Israel
While Israel will almost certainly take no direct part in a military strike, Israeli intelligence information is widely believed to have played a central role in enabling the US's adamant conviction that Assad's regime fired chemical weapons at civilians outside Damascus last Wednesday, killing hundreds of people and wounding over a thousand, according to Syrian rebel groups.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"Because of the devastation of the afflicted, because of the groaning of the needy, Now I will arise," says the Lord; "I will set him in the safety for which he longs." (Psalm 12:5)
U.S. Sending Envoy to North Korea to Help Free Imprisoned American Missionary Kenneth Bae - Fox News
The State Department says in a statement Bob King, who is special envoy for North Korean Human Rights Issues, will travel to North Korea on a humanitarian mission Aug. 30 to request freedom and a pardon for 45-year-old Kenneth Bae.
"Ambassador King will request the DPRK pardon Mr. Bae and grant him special amnesty on humanitarian grounds so that he can be reunited with his family and seek medical treatment," the statement said.
Bae, a tour operator and Christian missionary, was arrested in November and accused of subversion. In April, North Korea's Supreme Court convicted him of committing hostile acts against the country and sentenced him to 15 years hard labor.
While King's visit is a humanitarian mission, it could help improve relations severely strained by Pyongyang's pursuit of nuclear weapons.
"We remain deeply concerned about the health and welfare of Kenneth Bae, the American citizen currently detained in North Korea," the White House said in a statement. "We urge the government of North Korea to grant special clemency to Mr. Bae immediately and allow him to return home with Ambassador King."
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
The Other IRS Scandal
The Other IRS Scandal
While Americans rightly have been appalled by the ugly details of the Internal Revenue Service crackdown on conservative groups, another scandal much longer in the making has been festering.
Left-wing nonprofits such as ACORN's successor groups are flouting federal law by spending tax-exempt funds for partisan political activities, using "fiscal sponsorship" to shift those funds through a shell game of various activist groups. That's the finding of Cause of Action, a nonpartisan good-government group, in its new report, "Conprofit: How the IRS' Failed Enforcement Allows Nonprofit Money Laundering." (Source: Washington Times) Read more.
- Despite the Apostle Paul's exhortation that we "not grow weary in doing good" (Gal. 6:9) - which includes commitment to ongoing intercessory prayer - the truth is we do grow weary. Faithful intercessors are sometimes tempted to wonder if God is still listening; and, more pointedly, if or when He will act righteously to bring the scandal-perpetrators in our government to justice.
When discouraged, one veteran intercessor said she ponders how dark the situation looked just before Jesus was crucified, when it appeared all was lost and that the enemy had triumphed. Then she remembers: the cross was God's plan. Jesus died willingly, and the resurrection confirmed forever that the enemy is defeated.
So take heart, intercessors. God's purposes will prevail. The nations are His (Psalm 2), and all things will be reconciled for His glory. Let us keep praying in hope and faith. Perhaps we are nearing that tipping point just before revival sweeps across our sinful nation. God always has a remnant, and He will reward those who stand in the gap and intercede.
- "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9)
[Prayers offered by Intercessors for America.]
Al-Qaeda and U.S. Diplomats
Al-Qaeda and U.S. Diplomats
American al Qaeda propagandist Adam Y. Gadahn has released an audio message calling for the assassinations of U.S. diplomats across the Middle East, highlighting how the terrorist network is trying to capitalize on the deteriorating security situation in the region as post-revolutionary chaos tightens its grip on Libya.
In his 39-minute message, Gadahn congratulates "Muslim brothers in Libya" for killing U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans in Benghazi last year, calls on others to follow their example and savages elected leaders of the Libyan government as tools of the West. (Source: The Washington Times)
- Adam Gadahn, an American-born Jew, renounced his roots and U.S. citizenship, turning to Islam and its terrorist organization, al Qaeda. He displays the spirit of hatred connected with militant Islam, commending the "brothers" who killed the U.S. ambassador and three others in the Benghazi massacre. He now urges more killings of our diplomats in various embassies.
He is a wicked man whose heart is filled with evil, but like all lost people, he will be saved if he turns to the Lord. How to pray for him requires divine wisdom. Intercessors and intercessory groups are urged to inquire of the Lord and be guided by the Holy Spirit. God can as easily call the high-profile sinner or one of lowly rank to Himself.
We do not know how many prayed for the murderous Saul of Tarsus. It is highly likely some early believers did. By God's grace, he was transformed into the Apostle Paul. No doubt we know people whom God has prepared to respond to a kind word of witness backed up by our prayers that they be saved.
- "Then Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest and asked letters from him to the synagogues of Damascus, so that if he found any who were of the Way, whether men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem. As he journeyed . . . suddenly a light shone around him from heaven. Then he fell to the ground, and heard a voice . . . 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? And he said, 'Who are You, Lord?' Then the Lord said, 'I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. It is hard for you to kick against the goads.' So he, trembling and astonished, said, "Lord, what do You want me to do?'" (Acts 9:1-6)
[Prayers offered by: Intercessors for America]
Update: San Antonio
San Antonio Ordinance Threatens Religious Freedom
San Antonio Proposed Ordinance Bans Christians from City Government
San Antonio City officials will discuss a proposed ordinance on Wednesday that state leaders say would severely threaten religious freedom. It could also a dangerous precedent for other cities throughout the country.
Mayor Julian Castro and gay activists call it a "non-discrimination" ordinance. But really, it is quite the opposite. If passed, those who hold a biblical view of marriage and relationships could be banned from being involved in city government.
Councilmembers are expected to vote on the issue next week.
Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott said in a statement Monday that it violates the state Constitution.
"I oppose the proposed ordinance because it would not prevent discrimination, but impose it: stifling speech, repressing religious liberty, and imposing burdens on those who hold a traditional view on human relations," he said. "The proposed ordinance runs contrary to the Texas Constitution, which prohibits religious tests, and also defines marriage as the union of one man and one woman."
Not only that, but the U.S. Constitution protects religious expression via the First Amendment, he explained.
"Although the proposal has been couched in terms of liberty and equality, it would have the effect of inhibiting the liberty of expression and equality of opportunity for San Antonians."
The ordinance would also incur these damaging consequences:
- Churches could be forced to allow same-sex civil unions to take place in their facilities
- Business owners could face legal action and fines for not providing benefits to unmarried same-sex couples
- Children could be forced to share bathrooms at school with members of the opposite sex
"An attack this blatant is hard to imagine, but there is no other way to say it - this is an unprecedented attack on religious liberty, particularly for Christians," he said. "Attacks on religious freedom in Texas are on the rise."
Jonathan Saenz and his pro-family group Texas Values created a petition for the city council three weeks ago. More than 20,000 people have already signed it.
Texas Values will hold a press conference Wednesday on the front steps of the San Antonio Capitol building. City leaders from the faith, legal and business communities will discuss their concerns over the issue.
Saenz told CitizenLink he hopes other cities, even those outside the state, do not create similar ordinances.
"There really is concern - with the size of San Antonio being the seventh largest cities-that other cities will follow this," Saenz explained. "(Such ordinances) would create an environment where Christians really have no role in their government."
(CitizenLink) Read more.
- Offer praise unto the Lord that the Attorney General is in opposition to this ordinance, and praise Him, too, that the citizens of this fine city have formed this coalition (Texas Values) and that more than 20,000 citizens have already signed the petition opposing its passage. Lift up the arms of those who are working to turn the battle at the gate in San Antonio, and ask our Lord to forgive the wicked, for they know not what they do. Amen.
- "When the enemy comes in like a flood, The Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard against him." (Isaiah 59:19)
NM Supreme Court Rules Against Our Religious Freedom
New Mexico Supreme Court:
Price of Citizenship is Compromising Your Beliefs
"The New Mexico Supreme Court ruled Thursday against a photographer who declined to use her artistic expression to communicate the story of a same-sex ceremony." reports Senior Counsel Jordan Lorence of Alliance Defending Freedom. "In a concurrence accompanying the opinion, one of the justices wrote that the photographer and her husband, Elaine and Jonathan Huguenin, "now are compelled by law to compromise the very religious beliefs that inspire their lives," adding "it is the price of citizenship."
"The idea that free people can be 'compelled by law to compromise the very religious beliefs that inspire their lives' as the 'price of citizenship' is a chilling and unprecedented attack on freedom," said Lorence. "Americans are now on notice that the price of doing business is their freedom."
Alliance Defending Freedom recently posted select excerpts from Justice Richard C. Bosson's concurrence accompanying the court's decision (p. 30) that is quite alarming and sets a dire precedent:
"On a larger scale, this case provokes reflection on what this nation is all about, its promise of fairness, liberty, equality of opportunity, and justice. At its heart, this case teaches that at some point in our lives all of us must compromise, if only a little, to accommodate the contrasting values of others. A multicultural, pluralistic society, one of our nation's strengths, demands no less. The Huguenins are free to think, to say, to believe, as they wish; they may pray to the God of their choice and follow those commandments in their personal lives wherever they lead. The Constitution protects the Huguenins in that respect and much more. But there is a price, one that we all have to pay somewhere in our civic life."
This is indeed a chilling ruling from Justice Bosson, and highlights again the need for taking a stand against arbitrary and relentless attacks on our God-given religious freedom.
The Congressional Prayer Caucus Foundation
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Pro-Lifers Will Gather to Celebrate Historic Texas Abortion Center Closure
"The announcement that Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast, Inc. was shutting down its controversial abortion center in Bryan/College Station generated widespread excitement due to its significance as an epicenter of the American abortion debate. This is a turning point in the struggle to end the injustice of abortion across our nation." -David Bereit
(Bryan, TX)-Hundreds of pro-life advocates from dozens of states are already making plans to travel to Bryan/College Station, Texas for BREAKTHROUGH 09.07.13-the September 7 celebration of the most historic abortion center closure in the 40 years of legalized abortion in the United States.
The celebration, which was first announced late last week, is set for Saturday, September 7 from 10 AM to noon in the public right-of-way outside the closed Planned Parenthood abortion center at 4112 East 29th Street in Bryan, Texas.
David Bereit, national director of 40 Days for Life, said, "The announcement that Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast, Inc. was shutting down its controversial abortion center in Bryan/College Station generated widespread excitement due to its significance as an epicenter of the American abortion debate. This is a turning point in the struggle to end the injustice of abortion across our nation."
The Planned Parenthood abortion center in Bryan/College Station has gained nationwide attention:
- Site of the first-ever 40 Days for Life campaign in 2004, an effort that has since grown into a worldwide pro-life mobilization of 575,000 volunteers in 501 cities around the globe; those volunteers have witnessed 7,536 babies saved from abortion, 39 abortion centers closed, and 83 workers quitting their jobs in the abortion industry
- Place where former abortion center director and Planned Parenthood employee of the year Abby Johnson experienced a conversion, quit her job, and became an outspoken pro-life advocate, going on to found And Then There Were None, a new ministry which has since helped 77 other workers to leave the abortion industry over the last year
- Impetus for the formation of the Coalition for Life, the grassroots organization which Planned Parenthood credited for making the community "the most anti-choice place in the nation," and responsible for what Planned Parenthood described as its "most consistent and active" opposition in the nation. [Reported by: Breaking Christian News]
Billion Souls Revival Prayer Call
Billion Souls Revival Prayer Call
Devotional for Day 23:
28 August 2013
Fred and Sue Rowe, MDs
Transform World, Celebration Challenge Facilitators
Seeing through the smoke.
Now the appointed sign between the men of Israel and the men in ambush was that they would make a great cloud of smoke rise from the city (Judges 20:38 NASV).
In the Bible smoke is a symbol of a blinding power in times of change for good or evil (for example, when the Lord descended on Mount Sinai to give Moses the 10 commandments in Exodus 19:17-20:26.
As challenges continue to pummel the news of the nations with record rains, floods, tornadoes and more, it is like fires filling the atmosphere with smoke. A supernatural smoke-screen confrontation is being released with a fervent cry of the desperate behind it saying, "Lord give me eyes to see and ears to hear what the Spirit is saying to the Church."
Today we are in a critical time of cleansing and shift. Yes, fire and smoke is all over the news! But can we see beyond it into God's heavenly purposes? Though our circumstances may not seem like they are changing, God is making a way in the spiritual realm. Manifestation will come if we keep our eyes fixed on Him. It is an hour to move beyond the smoke-screens of news, disappointments, discouragement, rejections in our lives, and cling to the promises in the Word of God.
We are in an hour when the spirit of Elijah is rising up to restore all things (Matthew 17:11). In the midst of the destruction, can we see that God is at work in our circumstances today? Will the spirit of Elijah rise up within us to see that which has been taken, stolen, lost or destroyed even over centuries, now be restored? Can we see through the smoke-screens around us into the heavenly realms to call forth and not let go of heaven's purposes until we see them come to pass?
Thank you God that you are calling us, as your people, to see your redemptive purposes and will through the smoke-screens of life and to cling to your promises until we see them fulfilled. Forgive us for the times when we have allowed the smoke-screen to throw us off track. You are raising up a NEW army with RENEWED strength, focus, fervor and vigor for the hour we are in. In the midst of the smoke of our lives, help us to press in to you. Thank you that the light of your Word and your promises are waiting for us. Amen.
To view the Four Daily Prayer Points, as well as the Introduction to this prayer strategy, please visit their website by going here.
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
In His Time (with lyrics) - Maranatha Music
In His time, In His Time
He makes all things beautiful in His time.
Lord please show me every day
As you're teaching me Your way
That You do just what You say
In Your time.
In Your time, In Your Time
You make all things beautiful in Your time.
Lord my life to You I bring
May each song I have to sing
Be to you a lovely thing
In Your time.
[Worship Him today by going here.]