Note: 40 Days of Prayer and Repentance begins tomorrow! "BILLION SOULS REVIVAL PRAYER CALL" See our Good News Corner, below!
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Monday, August 5, 2013
"He is at my right hand, so that I will not be shaken." (Acts 2:25)
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting that your name be added to our list of subscribers.
VISIT OUR BLOG!
CHPP's blog includes archives of past editions of all of our alerts, as well as features on praying for the government, Israel, and other key issues.
Come visit us by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. Unexplained, conflicting US global terror warnings now extend to American homeland - debka.com
Saturday night Aug. 3, the global warnings issued last week by the US State Department and Interpol against terrorist attacks covering almost the entire Muslim world, suddenly reached the American homeland. Sunday morning, Aug. 4, as US missions closed in 22 countries, including Egypt and Israel, the New York Police Department went on high alert. Security was beefed up in high-profile areas outside houses of worship and transportation hubs, although Police Commissioner Ray Kelly complained that "a lack of specific information was cause for concern."
- Heavenly Father, we raise up prayers over these terrorist threats arising within the US: To bind and rebuke the spirits of violence, hatred, and lawlessness involved in these attacks in the blood washed name of Jesus; to guide those in charge of security for NYC to clearly discern where to be prepared for possible attacks; to direct the security staff how to keep citizens safe under this threat; and to keep them alert and calm. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me; You will stretch out Your hand against the wrath of my enemies and Your right hand will save me.
2. Newsweek sold to all-digital news company - CNN
Newsweek, the iconic news magazine whose print version was abandoned late last year, has been sold to an all-digital news company, IBT Media. The Daily Beast, the IAC site that operates Newsweek, announced last October that it would abandon the magazine's print edition at the end of 2012 and run the content strictly online. Tina Brown, the editor-in-chief of both Newsweek and The Daily Beast, said at the time that the growing use of tablet computers by readers, combined with continued weakness in print advertising, forced the decision.
- Lord, as the media, which includes newspapers as well as magazines, become 'outdated' to be printed on paper and they change owners, we ask You to confront them to revise how they report the news. Raise up Your right hand and extend Your arm to confront them to report more honestly and be a tool for truth of what is occurring in the world. If they refuse, we ask You to move them aside and have them diminish in power and affect upon people's lives. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- A fool has no delight in understanding, but in expressing his own heart.
3. Analysis: Obamacare Gutting Middle Class - Breitbart
While President Barack Obama has claimed he is a champion of the middle class, two of his signature initiatives--comprehensive immigration reform and Obamacare--threaten to further gut America's middle class. Regarding Obamacare, economic analyst John Mauldin determined Obamacare may actually create a "new underclass" with "disastrous implications for the country." He explained that the country has a "younger generation that is having trouble finding full-time work and developing the skills needed for the transition to more stable, higher-paying employment."
Besides potentially giving the federal government the ability to control nearly every aspect of an individual's lives, Obamacare is already diminishing opportunities for America's workers. This is why senators like Mike Lee (R-UT) and Ted Cruz (R-TX) are leading efforts to defund it.
- Abba Father, we come before Your throne asking that this poorly written and destructive law be defunded so that even more work opportunities are not damaged or destroyed, and that the struggling young workers and overstretched families are not further broken financially. Guide the congressional members how to achieve this defunding, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- It is not good to show partiality to the wicked or to overthrow the righteous in judgment. (Proverbs 18:5)
4. GOP: Obamacare hurts employers and employees alike - CBS
As congressional Republicans continue their dogged effort to repeal Obamacare before the law is more fully implemented in 2014, Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, warned that the health-care reform law will depress workers' earnings and inhibit job growth in the weekly Republican address on Saturday. "Effective health-care reform should provide Americans with access to quality and affordable care while also encouraging economic growth. That's not what is happening under Obamacare," Collins said. "Instead, Obamacare is actually discouraging small businesses from creating jobs and hiring new employees. The law also has perverse incentives for employers to reduce the number of hours that their employees can work."
She warned of two particular provisions in the law that will have an adverse effect on wages and job creation. The first - the employer mandate - requires businesses with more than 50 full-time employees to provide health insurance for those employees. Even worse, Collins said, is a provision defining any employee who works more than 30 hours per week as "full time." She warned, "This will only cause some businesses to reluctantly reduce the hours of their workers to fewer than 30 hours per week."
Collins even cited the objections of labor unions who have warned that Obamacare could jeopardize the 40-hour work week that has been a central facet of U.S. labor law for decades.
- Heavenly Father, Sen. Collins is presenting how this healthcare law is doing just the opposite of what it was promoted as creating. It is causing fewer jobs within small companies, with some firms cutting the number of employees due to the extreme expense of providing healthcare coverage for their employees. It is even causing many employers, if they do not cut the work slots, are cutting work hours to under 30 hours so that providing any kind of healthcare is avoided by the employers. This passes the cost back on to the employee who is now NOT earning a full wage but who will have to buy the healthcare, which is most likely beyond their financial ability, or be heavily fined if they do not buy the healthcare. Help Lord! Have mercy on these people and draw them to You. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- Diverse weights and diverse measures, they are both alike an abomination to the Lord. (Proverbs 20:10)
5. Unemployment Climbs to 9.4% Among Hispanics; Double What It Was 7 Yrs Ago - CNS News
Unemployment among American Hispanics climbed to 9.4 percent in July, up from 9.1 percent in May and June, and 9.0 percent in April, according to data released today by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. During President Obama's time in office, the number of American Hispanics who are unemployed has increased 161,000--rising from 2,205,000 in January 2009 to 2,366,000 in July 2013. BLS defines a person as unemployed if they are 16 years or older and do not have a job, but have actively sought one in the last four weeks.
- Lord, this report reflects how jobs continue to be lost and is impacting struggling communities. It says the unemployment numbers reflect only those actively seeking work. What is unknown is how many people have just stopped trying as they have looked for work so long. Lord, we stand in the gap and repent for the multiple sins against Your laws and ways that this nation has committed. Direct us how to pray for more job opportunities and the dignity that work gives to human beings. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- 'For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now I will arise;' says the Lord; 'I will set him in the safety for which he yearns.' (Psalm 12:5)
6. Study: Record Number 21 Million Young Adults Living With Parents - CBS
A new study from Pew Research finds that 36 percent of Millennials - young adults ages 18 to 31 - are living at their parents' homes, the highest number in four decades. A record 21.6 million young adults were still living at home last year.
- Abba Father, this article reflects another aspect of the lack of job opportunities. Young people needing jobs who are still in their parents' home, or having to return home, are unable to find enough work to assume financial self responsibility. This causes the normal growth process of young people moving forth with their lives to be stunted and burdens the parents who are trying to move on to retirement at some point. Be in the midst of all the families who will allow You to be part of their lives and show them what You would have them do, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- It is time for You to act, O Lord, for they have regarded Your law as void.
7. Obama Promotes Immigration Reform While Economy Worsens for Americans - Breitbart
While a new study shows four-in-five Americans will now face near-poverty and economic insecurity in their lifetime, President Barack Obama is pushing for a comprehensive immigration bill that the Congressional Budget Office determined would devastate the wages of working class Americans.
Repeatedly in interviews and on the stump, Obama last week vowed he would fight to increase the ladders of opportunities for middle class workers. But the immigration reform bill Obama said had to "get done" will only reduce opportunities for upward mobility for blacks and Hispanics who are unemployed or underemployed and for struggling white Americans that demographers refer to as the "invisible poor."
- Abba Father, there appears to be contradictory actions being requested in this article. These actions are on one hand the need for increased jobs to help those looking for work, and yet on the other hand there is a strong push for immigration changes that would swamp the country with huge numbers of new potential workers. This will not work well, Lord. We ask You to rise up and confront this man as to his promises and agendas, saving him if he will accept You but stopping his contradictory, counter-productive and destructive actions. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- Fools mock at sin, but among the upright there is favor. (Proverbs 14:9)
8. Immigration Advocates Will Urge Obama Executive Order if Reform Fails - Newsmax
If immigration reform sputters in the deeply divided U.S. Congress, supporters are planning to push President Barack Obama to act on his own to help 11 million illegal aliens, lawmakers and immigration advocates said.
Immigration law experts, some senators and House Democratic aides speculated that if Congress cannot agree on a wide-ranging immigration bill this year, Obama could use his executive authority to stop deporting parents of children living in the United States illegally.
Navigating around Congress comes with plenty of drawbacks, though, since anything Obama could do would not be as lasting as enacting a law. Furthermore, he could not use his own powers to make sweeping changes, such as creating a pathway to citizenship for the 11 million undocumented.
- Lord, we fall before You asking that this bypassing of the law making process be stopped! Here are a number of people pushing for their particular interests and advocating this kind of bypass of the constitutional process. Protect us from this kind of semi legal process and confront those officials, who were elected to serve the interests of the citizens of this nation, to honor their responsibility and not just act based upon their own selfish agendas. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- A quick-tempered man acts foolishly, and a man of wicked intentions is hated. (Proverbs 14:17)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"I will subdue all your enemies." (I Chronicles 17:10)
1. Despite peace talks, cabinet approves preferential status for settlements - Jerusalem Post
Even as Israeli-Palestinian negotiators are to begin in two weeks and discuss, among other issues, the borders of a future Palestinian state, the cabinet on Sunday approved a new national priorities map that includes a number of small communities in Judea and Samaria beyond the security fence.
2. Fearing Gazan Spring, Hamas Cracks Down on Dissidents - Arutz Sheva
Gaza's Islamist rulers are nervous. The fall of Mohammed Morsi - the Islamist president of Egypt and scion of Hamas's parent organization, the Muslim Brotherhood - has left them isolated.
3. Report: State funds groups that advocate building Third Temple - Jerusalem Post
The state has been subsidizing nonprofit organizations that advocate the building of the Third Temple atop Jerusalem's holiest site, an Army Radio expose revealed on Sunday.
4. Rouhani: Israel is an 'old wound' that should be removed - Ynet News
Iran's new president has called Israel an "old wound" that should be removed in comments published just two days ahead of his inauguration and as millions of Iranians took to the streets to mark al-Quds Day.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day." (I Timothy 1:12)
1. Christian Languishing in North Korean Prison Says Health is Worsening - One News Now
Kenneth Bae of Lynnwood, Washington, lives in China with his wife and conducts tours of North Korea. The committed Christian is in his third month of a 15-year prison term in a North Korean prison camp. Bae is in prison on the charge of "committing hostile actions" against the communist country." In reality, he is being punished for speaking to people in North Korea about Jesus.
In an interview with Seattle's King 5 television, Terri Chung, Bae's sister, revealed that the diabetic Bae is going blind. He turned 45 years old this week.
"He's asking us directly and saying, You know, my health is failing. I need help," she stated. "I would say there is a new note of desperation."
Chung says direction from the State Department limits what family members can say or do, not only because it is a delicate situation but also because North Korea is a closed country - causing the family to feel "alone in this struggle" to free her brother.
"You know, we're the little people and we're an ordinary American family with no real powerful connections," she laments.
However, there is hope that situation may change. As Radio Free Asia reports, former President Jimmy Carter will soon visit North Korea seeking Bae's release.
2. Victory for Christian Organizations in U.S. Public School Case - CIC
The United States Supreme Court made clear over a decade ago that school districts that choose to open their facilities for use by community groups cannot exclude groups from that benefit, or otherwise treat them less favorably, simply because of their religious viewpoint. Despite the clarity of the applicable law, we were forced to file a federal lawsuit that we told you about last November to secure the right of Child Evangelism Fellowship of West Orange County ("Child Evangelism Fellowship" or "CEF"), a California-based organization, to use local school district facilities on the same terms as similar non-religious groups.
CEF sought to hold a Good News Club at a school within the Buena Park School District. Good News Clubs are after-school meetings for youth that include educational lessons from the Bible, the singing of songs, memorization of Bible verses, stories about missionaries, and games or other recreational activities focused on the lesson's themes and morals. When CEF submitted its facilities use request to the District, administrators informed the organization that it would have to pay for access to the school facilities. Although CEF explained to administrators that the district policy allowing nonprofit, youth-oriented groups (including Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Camp Fire, Inc.) to use school facilities free of charge applied equally to religious organizations such as CEF, the district refused to alter its position, and CEF was left with no choice but to seek relief in court.
We are pleased to report a victory in that lawsuit. The Buena Park School District has agreed to change district policy to clarify that religious nonprofit organizations that promote youth and school activities, like Child Evangelism Fellowship, will be permitted to use district facilities on the same terms as other nonprofit organizations-including authorization to use district facilities without charge.
3. British Couple Sues Church for Refusing to Host Same-Sex Wedding - Charisma
Wealthy gay dad Barrie Drewitt-Barlow says he and his civil partner, Tony, will go to court to force churches to host gay weddings. He told the Essex Chronicle that he will take legal action because, he says, "I am still not getting what I want."
A government bill legalizing gay marriage passed Parliament in the U.K. recently, but it included measures to protect churches from being forced to perform same-sex weddings.
"The only way forward for us now is to make a challenge in the courts against the church. It is a shame that we are forced to take Christians into a court to get them to recognize us," says Drewitt-Barlow. "It upsets me because I want it so much-a big, lavish ceremony, the whole works. I just don't think it is going to happen straight away. As much as people are saying this is a good thing, I am still not getting what I want."
The gay couple shot to fame in 1999 when they became the first British same-sex couple to be named on their children's birth certificates. They entered a civil partnership in 2006, and Barrie Drewitt-Barlow has reportedly donated around £500,000 to groups lobbying for same-sex marriage.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
The Daily Jot
Prophetic Warning: Danger Ahead
Secretary of State John Kerry thinks he can single handedly save the world by forcing Israel and the terrorist block within Israel's borders to a land for peace deal. The president has dusted off his blackmail foreign policy to use as leverage, restating his 2009 offer that the US will act on Iran if Israel comes to the peace table. Meantime, he has held Iftar dinners with the Islamists he has in his political tent to celebrate Allah in the halls of the State Department and the White House. What doesn't the White House understand about "Thou shalt have no other gods before me" OR Psalm 33:12, "Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD"? There is much prophetic danger ahead.
There is a position among religiosity that the current nation of Israel is not the Israel spoken of in the Bible. For the record, I totally disagree. Jerusalem has been Jerusalem throughout the ages. The reformation of Israel in 1948 is the fulfillment of numerous prophecies. Yet many religious scholars and some not so scholarly insist that because the leadership in Israel and many of the people are not godly and are immoral, that this Israel cannot be the Israel of the Bible. I submit that not unlike the rest of us, God has His plan for Israel and the people in it. There are many examples in the Bible where the Lord says that He will gather his people back to Israel and he will cause them to be His people.
Ezekiel 37:27, "And I will put my spirit within you and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments and do them. And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God." In the context of the Day of the Lord, the Lord says in Ezekiel 39: 27-29, "When I have brought them again from the people, and gathered them out of their enemies' lands, and am sanctified in them in the sight of many nations; Then shall they know that I am the Lord their God, which caused them to be led into captivity among the heathen: but I have gathered them unto their own land, and have left none of them any more there. Neither will I hide my face any more from them: for I have poured out my spirit upon the house of Israel, saith the Lord God."
In God's time, those in Israel will know the Lord and have His Spirit. But Israel is Israel and dividing the land to give to the people of God's enemies--Islam--has dire consequences. Like many before him, John Kerry is playing a dangerous game that will impact you. The president has catered to Islam like no other leader in American history. Zechariah 12:3 says, "And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it." On one hand prophecy is advancing. On the other, catastrophe awaits nations who are coming against YHVH God. Watch and see.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Real and Present Danger
Real and Present Danger of Radical Islam
Terrorism abroad and at home
Submitted by Donna M. Rogers, Founder of Angel of Love and Light Ministries
In this very well researched document, Donna Rogers has summarized all the major threats we face tonight, as well as four prayer/action points that follow.
Each threat is linked to an original article, so there is literally "tons" of material at this site that you can study for yourself.
We highly recommend this document to you, available by going here.
(Too long to post on our Brief.)
The four prayer/action points include:
1. Muslim Brotherhood Group to 'connect all U.S. schools'
2. Islamic Common Core
3. Confirmed Benghazi was Cover-up of Arms Transfer to al-Qaeda
4. Sign the Petition -Declare Muslim brotherhood organization as a terrorist group
Again, for further details, please go here.
85 Members of Congress Petition the Supreme Court
85 Members of Congress Petition the Supreme Court
Forbes, Scalise lead Members in Filing Amicus Brief with Supreme Court in Legislative Prayer Case
Washington, D.C. - Congressman J. Randy Forbes (VA-04), founder and Co-chairman of the Congressional Prayer Caucus, along with Congressman Steve Scalise (LA-01), Chairman of the Republican Study Committee, have led 85 Members of the House of Representatives in defending legislative prayer before the Supreme Court of the United States.
Last Friday, 85 Members of the House of Representatives filed an amicus curiae brief with the Supreme Court in the case of Town of Greece v. Galloway, supporting the constitutional practice of legislatures opening their sessions with prayer. The brief points out that, though "Congress opens its daily sessions with legislative prayer, a practice that is fully consistent with the Establishment Clause," "Congress' longstanding prayer practice would fail under the tests promulgated by the Second Circuit in this case and the Fourth Circuit in previous cases."
The Second Circuit ruled that, despite a highly inclusive prayer policy, public prayer before town meetings in the town of Greece, New York was unconstitutional. The court based its decision on perception rather than policy, ignoring the fact that the town's prayer policy allows any volunteer to provide a prayer before meetings, including individuals of no faith.
In addition to the brief filed by Members of the House, briefs were also filed by 34 Senators and 23 State Attorneys General.
There is currently a three-way circuit split as to the proper standard for evaluating legislative prayer under the Establishment Clause. The Eleventh Circuit has applied the standard set forth by the Court in Marsh v. Chambers, 463 U.S. 783 (1983), prohibiting judicial scrutiny of legislative prayers absent evidence of advancing or disparaging a particular religion. However, the Fourth Circuit's decision hinged on the effect of the prayer, despite any policy in place, and the Second Circuit's decision analyzed legislative prayer under the "reasonable observer" analysis of the endorsement test, County of Allegheny v. American Civil Liberties Union, 492 U.S. 573 (1989).
Forty-nine former and current Members of the House of Representatives signed an amicus curiae brief in January, asking the Court to take the case and reverse the Second Circuit's ruling. Members of the Congressional Prayer Caucus will continue to defend legislative prayer as the case is pending before the Supreme Court. (Office of Congressman J. Randy Forbes)
- Pray that the Supreme Court will rule favorably in this case, and will allow legislative bodies in our nation to continue their tradition of opening their sessions with prayer. In His Name, amen.
- "Therefore the Lord will wait, that He may be gracious to you; And therefore He will be exalted, that He may have mercy on you. For the Lord is a God of justice; Blessed are all those who wait for Him." (Isaiah 30:18)
Prayers During Ramadan
You've got a message: Generation M(obile)
For Tuesday August 6, Ramadan 2013 - Day 29.
"Loving Muslims Through Prayer"
Christian ministries are trying various methods to reach out to Generation M(obile). The idea is to start discussions and engage Muslims in meaningful dialogue that will lead to a personal testimony or at least the offer of praying when the need arises.
Although no one thinks that using technology replaces personal contact, studies do indicate that seeds are sown and hard ground broken up through mobile efforts, especially through social media.
- Pray that Christians can make contact with Muslims via mobile devices and sow seeds of the gospel. Long-term friendships are needed to get beyond the contact stage and actually reach Muslims with Christ's message of faith, hope and love. ". . . my prayer is that they may be saved" (Romans 10:1; 1 Timothy 2:1-6). - Pray about your own role in this method of outreach.
Complete article, video, audio, comments is here.
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
BILLION SOULS REVIVAL PRAYER CALL:
Prayer Guide Available Now
Global 40 Days of Prayer, Fasting and Repentance
August 6 - September 14, 2013
"If my people,
who are called by my name,
will humble themselves
and pray and seek my face
and turn from their wicked ways,
then will I hear from heaven
and will forgive their sin
and will heal their land."
(2 Chronicles 7:14 NIV)
Please find below our four main prayer points over these 40 days of prayer, fasting and repentance. We invite you to pray them with us as you are led by the Holy Spirit.
1. Pray for a worldwide outpouring of the Holy Spirit for revival and transformation of the nations of the world.
2. Pray for a billion people to find Jesus Christ as their Saviour and Lord.
3. Pray for an end to abortion and for God to turn back the tide of death and immorality that is sweeping the nations of the world.
4. Pray for a multiplication of prayer, praise and worship to God across the world as never before, to bring great glory to God.
For more information on this global call to prayer, go to: www.billionsoulsrevivalprayercall.org
Or . . . visit our link here.
- Pray that millions of believers will "catch the vision" for this call to prayer, interceding for one billion more to come to the Lord in this time of the harvest of souls. CHPP will publish the prayer guidelines for each of the next 40 days, as well, enabling all of us to pray in agreement with this global initiative. Please "pass it on" for this IS truly "good news" today!
- "And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways." (Isaiah 2:3)
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are!
Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
Great Is The Lord (A Scripture Song)
sung by Jack Marti
"Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised
In the city of our God,
In His holy mountain.
Beautiful in elevation,
The joy of the whole earth,
Is Mount Zion on the sides of the north,
The city of the great King."