Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Wednesday, August 14, 2013
" . . . and, lo, I am with you always,
even unto the end of the world."
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting that your name be added to our list of subscribers.
VISIT OUR BLOG!
CHPP's blog includes archives of past editions of all of our alerts, as well as features on praying for the government, Israel, and other key issues.
Come visit us by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. US-led Israeli-Palestinian talks get off to confused start. Palestinians shun security issues - DebkaFile
The US, Israel and the Palestinian resume talks Wednesday, Aug. 14, in deep confusion, senior Israeli officials told debkafile. The US chair "appears to be at sea on which issue for leading off." They refer to John Kerry's proposal for the US and Israel to determine security arrangements along the Jordan River and the West Bank without Palestinian involvement as a non-starter. It has encouraged Mahmoud Abbas to rule out any Israeli presence on the West Bank - a line even more extreme than that taken by Yasser Arafat in 2000. (Read more)
- Continue to press in, asking our Lord to cause these talks to collapse completely. Any "deal" on the table that will divide the nation of Israel is illegal, and must be canceled. Bind the spirit of lawlessness and madness that is operating through those who are promulgating this scheme, and ask our Lord to forgive them, for they know not what they do. Then loose the spirit of "law and order," so that any discussion of Israel's future would be based solely and only on the truth of the Word of God. Pray!
- "Devise your strategy, but it will be thwarted; propose your plan, but it will not stand, for God is with us." (Isaiah 8:10)
2. Egypt Imposes State of Emergency After at Least 149 People Killed - Newsmax
Riot police swept in with armored vehicles, bulldozers and helicopters Wednesday to clear two sprawling encampments of supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi, sparking running street battles elsewhere in Cairo and other Egyptian cities. At least 149 people were killed nationwide, many of them in the assaults on the protest vigils. The interim government declared a monthlong state of emergency, ordering the armed forces to support the police in efforts to restore law and order and protect state facilities. A nighttime curfew for Cairo and 10 provinces also was put into effect. (Read more)
- Harsh as this may seem, we offer praise to the Lord for the courage shown by the Egyptian government as it confronts this uprising, caused by the Moslem Brotherhood (MB). It is the MB that has a long history of ruthless and vengeful actions against those who oppose its authority -- those who oppose the imposition of Shari'a law. It was the MB who, despite warning after warning after warning over the past month, refused to cease its own riots. And so, the government had to act.
Come against the spirit behind all media reports that will be skewed, denying these facts, and instead designed to create sympathy for the MB. Call forth peace, justice, and truth to reign in the cities of Egypt in this hour. In Jesus' Name, amen.
- "Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them." (Matthew 18:18,19)
3. Pentagon may revise same-sex benefits - USA Today
The Pentagon is poised to extend health care, housing and other benefits to the same-sex spouses of military members by the end of August, but may reverse earlier plans to provide benefits to gay partners who are not married.
- Abba, we are dismayed that those who wish to push the gay agenda are claiming that the Supreme Court has changed the law, which they have not. They did rule that states who accept gay marriage do need to include those "spouses" in their benefit packages; but that states that have not yet accepted gay marriage are not subject to that ruling. To our knowledge, the "District of Columbia" has not done so, and the Pentagon is a federal entity, not affected by what DC does. We ask, Lord, that this pushing of 'gay rights' not be forced upon us all, and certainly not our military. Amen.
- "Because people did those things, God left them and let them do the shameful things they wanted to do. Women stopped having natural sex and started having sex with other women. In the same way, men stopped having natural sex and began wanting each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and in their bodies they received the punishment for those wrongs." (Romans 1:26,27)
4. IRS agent: Tax agency is still targeting Tea Party groups - Washington Examiner
In a remarkable admission that is likely to rock the Internal Revenue Service again, testimony released Thursday (August 1) by House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp reveals that an agent involved in reviewing tax exempt applications from conservative groups told a committee investigator that the agency is still targeting Tea Party groups, three months after the IRS scandal erupted.
- Father, we thank You that this information is being exposed, and we pray that it will, indeed, be 'shouted from the rooftops'. We ask that the American citizenry will realize this unfair targeting of conservative organizations, and that Congress would put a stop to it now. We ask that You will continue to lay bare, all these deeds done in the darkness in warring against patriots who love their Country and Constitution. Amen.
- "Everything that is hidden will be shown, and everything that is secret will be made known. What you have said in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have whispered in an inner room will be shouted from the housetops." (Luke 12:2,3)
5. Surprise! IRS assault on churches started with Holder - WND
The seeds of the IRS targeting of conservative groups were planted by Eric Holder in 2001 when as deputy attorney general under President Bill Clinton he convinced incoming Attorney General John Ashcroft to seize the building of a conservative megachurch, says the church's retired pastor.
- Lord, we thank You for this revelation, and we ask that this bias and discrimination against churches would end. We ask that You, our Advocate, will give wisdom to those who are dealing with these issues, and that Your will prevail. Vindicate Your people, O Lord. Amen.
- "No weapon made will prevail against you. In court you will refute every accusation. The servants of ADONAI inherit all this; the reward for their righteousness or vindication is from me, says ADONAI." (Isaiah 54:17)
6. Member of Congressional Science Committee: Global Warming a 'Fraud' to 'Create Global Government' - The Nation
Congressman Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA), a senior member of the House Science Committee, used a portion of his time at a town hall this week to launch into a rant about global warming, which he described as a plot by liberals to "create global government to control our lives."
- God of creation, King of the universe, all knowing God, all powerful God, we thank You that You have given a man of science a voice of reason to speak truth into the shrewd scheme of these manipulators. Give the increase of revelation of wisdom to him and to others, Lord, because this planet is Yours. We ask You to bring all of us who populate it guidance as we care for it.
- "By His Spirit He adorned the heavens; His hand pierced the fleeing serpent. Indeed these are the mere edges of His ways, and how small a whisper we hear of Him! But the thunder of His power who can understand?" (Job 26:13&14)
7. Obama's drone strategy covers new legal, moral ground - Washington Times
The Obama administration departed from its drone strategy when it filed secret criminal charges against men suspected of carrying out last year's attack in Benghazi, Libya, but the tactic works, analysts say, only if the U.S. can get its hands on the men.
- You are the God who reveals all things that are hidden. We ask again that you would come with your mighty right hand and uncover all of the deceptive ways of the ones who seek to prolong the lies of the ones who seek to control. Bring into place men and women who have no ulterior motive, stand on legal ground, open up the web of deceit.
- "Therefore do not fear them. For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known. " (Matthew 10:26)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." (Psalm 119:105)
1. Palestinian kids taught to hate Israel in UN-funded camps, clip shows - Times of Israel
New video footage appears to show Palestinian children in summer camps run by the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) being taught that "Jews are the wolf," and that they will one day conquer Israeli cities by force.
2. 'Eilat will never enjoy security,' warns Salafi terror group - Israel Hayom
Hours after a Grad rocket was intercepted by an Israeli Iron Dome battery in the southern city of Eilat for the first time, a Salafi Palestinian terror organization claimed responsibility for the attack. The group claimed the rocket attack was in retaliation for a weekend drone strike, attributed to Israel by foreign media, which killed four Palestinian terrorists as they were readying to launch a rocket into Israel.
3. Kerry reiterates: US views settlements as illegal - Israel Hayom
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Monday the recent flap over Israeli settlement announcements was unlikely to derail the relaunched peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians, which are scheduled to resume this week.
4. Peace talks to resume held under a complete media blackout - www.watch.org
srael and the Palestinians are scheduled to begin substantive talks in Jerusalem on Wednesday, amid extremely low expectations on the Israeli side and Palestinian threats that Israeli announcements of settlement plans could torpedo the talks.
The talks will be held under a complete media blackout, with neither the location nor time of the negotiations made public, let alone any mention of what topics are on the initial agenda.
5. 'US army chief, visiting Israel, stresses 'joint security interests' - www.watch.org
Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon met with US Chairman of the Joints Chiefs of Staff Gen. Martin Dempsey at the Defense Ministry in Tel Aviv, on August 14, 2013.
Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon stressed the central role that Iran was playing in current events and the need for Israel to remain vigilant.
"The instability in the Middle East is due, in part, to the Iranian regime, which is involved in every conflict in the area," he said. "We also need to be prepared for a prolonged conflict and instability in Syria. We must not let the Tehran-Damascus-Beirut axis of evil to win this conflict."
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"You shall increase my greatness, And comfort me on every side."
North Korea--Balloon Launches Help Spread the Gospel
A VOM worker reports record launches of New Testaments into North Korea in July. For the month of July alone, 23,130 New Testaments were launched into North Korea. Through multiple launch points, workers are able to drop materials on areas that are largely unreached by the gospel.
A chief of Security Vision informed VOM partners of a North Korean website threatening organizations that launch balloons. The VOM partners were asked to refrain from launching balloons, but they were able to launch again on July 11, releasing 2,000 New Testaments. On July 31, they launched a record 7,500 New Testaments, the largest number launched in 2013. Continue to pray for favorable launch conditions, and pray that these Scriptures will fall into the right hands in North Korea. (Voice of the Martyrs)
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
The Daily Jot
Peace Talks: Here we go again
It seems that on the checklist of most presidencies is Palestinian-Israeli peace talks. It is kind of like what every beauty pageant contestant answers the open ended question with, "I just want world peace." Obama is saying similar things--he wants peace between the Israelis and the Palestinian terrorists. It is the same story, different scene. OR is it? Each White House, with Reagan as the exception, has gotten more aggressive toward the Israeli side in the peace charade. Remember Carter and his 1967 borders? How about George W Bush and forcing the evacuation of Gaza? That worked real well. Now we have Obama pushing a so-called peace, but at what cost?
In 2009, this Administration tried blackmail foreign policy saying to Israel that it would deal with Iran's nuclear issue if Israel would settle for peace with the terrorists. By "peace", this Administration means evacuating settlements on traditional Israeli land, retreating to pre-1967 borders, cutting the nation in half so that the West Bank (Judea and Samaria) are connected with the terrorist enclave of Gaza, and giving up half of Jerusalem so the terrorists can have a capital city. Sounds like a great deal, doesn't it? Especially, if Obama can negotiate an end to nuclear weapons in Iran. In the meantime, Obama and his minions are insulting Israel into accepting these terms.
Monday, State Department spokesman Marie Harf criticized Israel for announcing 1,200 new settlement homes are to be built. She said, "We have made our serious concerns about this recent announcement known to the government of Israel. We do not accept the legitimacy of continued settlement activity." She's not the only one criticizing Israel. Many US churches are divesting any investment in Israel. The Palestinians continue to promote terrorism--"Palestinian" President Mahmoud Abbas' political party honored Abdallah Barghouti, a convicted terrorist who is responsible for killing 61 "Zionists." They were self-sacrificing" and "martyrdom-seeking operations" according to the ruling party's Facebook page.
A reporter at the State Department repeatedly asked Harf what had been successful about previous peace talks, which she refused to answer. The reporter concluded that none of the talks ever were successful. Truth is, there will be no lasting peace until the return of Christ. We know from the prophets and from Revelation that Jesus Christ must return to bring peace to the earth. Even then, he returns in the midst of Israel being attacked by the armies of the antichrist. Who are they? The only ones specifically mentioned in the Bible as coming against Israel are traditional Islamic nations. As Jeremiah 6:14 says of the days of trusting in lying words, they say, "Peace, peace; when there is no peace."
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
News from the State Department
State Dept. Establishes Office of Faith Based Community Initiatives
On Wednesday, Secretary of State John Kerry announced the formation of the Office of Faith-Based Community Initiatives, but even more stunning than that announcement was, is who is to head the office. Shaun Casey, former religion advisor to the 2008 presidential campaign of Barack Obama, will take the lead role. In the last presidential election, Casey told an audience at the Center for American Progress, which was focused on God and Politics, "I, frankly, am glad American civil religion is dying."
First, what is this new office for?
This is absolute non-sense. You create an office to "helps equip our foreign and civil service officers with the skills necessary to engage faith-communities effectively and respectfully," and at the same time you head that office with a guy that is glad that American civil religion is dying. I suppose the goal is to engage those who claim to be religious to direct their thoughts, prayers and deeds more "stateward."
However, keep in mind this is the same man that defended Barack Obama's attendance of Jeremiah Wright's church for 20 years! In fact, Casey said that while Obama was trying to remain loyal to Wright, he also sought to differentiate himself politically. We know why that was, don't we? It was because he saw Wright as political liability and he lied about his attendance at the church as well. Furthermore, a simple look at Obama's interview concerning his claim of being a Christian would tell anyone who holds to Christian doctrine that Barack Obama is not a Christian (Matt. 7:20).
In Casey's remarks on Wednesday, he recalled theologian Reinhold Niebuhr's influence on foreign policy in the aftermath of World War II. Understand this. Niebuhr was a prominent leader of the militant faction of the Socialist Party of America. Niebuhr was a liberal theologian and so is Casey.
Finally, there is no "common ground" between religions and biblical Christianity. There is a vast gulf between those who trust in their works to rid them of their sins and those who cling to a Savior from sin. The irony here is that I'll just bet John Kerry is one of those liberals who believe in the lie of separation of Church and State. (Source: Freedom Outpost) Read more.
- Abba Father, this new agency is another mask to promote the anti Biblical Christian agenda by our leaders in government. This is already being done within the public educational system and university system, and increasingly within the military and within governmental and corporate businesses. We can see what is happening to our country as this nation increasingly is led to turn away from You, Lord! We repent deeply for this and ask You to guide and direct how we are to pray and respond towards this kind of initiative. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "An ungodly man digs up evil, and it is on his lips like a burning fire." (Proverbs 16:27)
Crisis in San Antonio
URGENT CRY FOR PRAYER FOR SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS
San Antonio is ground zero for a struggle much like that of the Alamo in 1836.
Who would have thought that a tourist city known for the Alamo, the River Walk, Sea World and Fiesta Texas would again be the place for a massive struggle for values? In fact, I believe San Antonio is Ground Zero for the values struggle in America.
The City Council of San Antonio, led by Councilman Diego Bernal and supported by Mayor Julian Castro, is planning to enact discriminatory regulations that would lay the foundation for litigation against any person or business with biblical values. For the first time in the history of this historic, family-oriented city, "sexual orientation" and "gender identity" would be added to the discrimination code in the city. The most sensational portion of the proposed ordinance was the portion that said if you had ever "in word or in deed" discriminated against any of the protected classes that you could not serve on a city board or receive a city contract. Because some organizations picked up the story resulting in national pressure, that portion of the proposed ordinance has been removed. But the ordinance should still be defeated. If you called or emailed San Antonio leaders, THANK YOU! But the struggle continues, and a LOT OF PRESSURE is needed.
. . . Pastor Charles Flowers of Faith Outreach International here has given courageous and wise leadership to the efforts to strike "sexual orientation" and "gender identity" from the ordinance. Pastor Charles has mobilized several churches crossing racial and denomination barriers as well as spoken on the radio and TV about the harmful effects of such an ordinance.
There is a scripture that I believe is more relevant for San Antonio. Revelation 2:18-20 "To the angel of the church in Thyatira write: These are the words of the Son of God, whose eyes are like blazing fire and whose feet are like burnished bronze. I know your deeds, your love and faith, your service and perseverance." Those words describe San Antonio accurately. We are a city of love, faith, service and perseverance. "Nevertheless, I have this against you: You tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess. By her teaching she misleads my servants into sexual immorality . . . "
God, forgive us! If we prioritize pleasing God, there are some things we will not tolerate. Notice that the Lord's admonition is not against those who commit immorality. His admonition is to the church for tolerating those who teach and seduce His creation to commit immorality. . .
Here's the Real Agenda
This is step one in a broader agenda to criminalize certain biblical values. The San Antonio Human Rights Coalition reports the consequences:
- Business owners will be fined for standing up for their religious beliefs.
- Business owners will no longer be able to operate their business pursuant to their religious convictions. They will be sued.
- Business owners will be forced to open their restroom and locker room facilities to members of the opposite sex. They will not be able to prohibit a transgendered individual from using the women's restroom or locker room, despite the business owner's religious beliefs.
- That's the real agenda. This is urgent. And we need help!
To learn more about this critical issue, that may be a precursor for the rest of the nation, and to learn how you can help, go here.
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Riveting Testimony of Brave Christian Convert from Islam,
and a Warning to the West
"The best way to love your enemy in this case, to love the Muslims is to preach the Gospel of Christ to them. If we take the Gospel of Christ to them-at whatever cost-we are loving them." - Umar Mulinde
(Jerusalem, Israel)-In an incredibly inspiring, and chilling testimony, Umar Mulinde shares with Scott Ross of CBN News about his miraculous conversion from Islam to becoming a Christian with a new love for Israel.
Mulinde had been raised as a Muslim and taught to hate Israel, but God got his attention one night in a dream. As he slept, he saw flames all around him and his fellow Muslims. He cried out, and when he did, he noticed a man standing on his right who was "shining." The man told him that Islam was leading him to that torture, that he should repent and be born again.
Unconvinced, Mulinde spent the next day praying Muslim prayers against bad dreams, but that didn't work, as he had the same dream that night. The next day we went to a Christian church and gave his life to Jesus.
The CBN News interview details how Mulinde became a pastor and began a church in Uganda, preaching the Gospel and on loving Israel, and winning other Muslims to the Lord.
But his new found faith cost him.
On Christmas Eve 2011, Mulinde, now a pastor, was attacked by two Muslims with buckets of acid. The acid ate away his skin, his eye, and his ear.
"I felt fire from up to down to my toes and I was like, 'Something's cooking me,'" he recalled about the attack. "And they shouted, 'Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar' three times. I realized I have fallen into the ambush of Muslim terrorists."
After being taken to two other hospitals, he wound up at the Burn Center at Sheba Medical Center in Israel, where he has been treated for severe acid burns to his eye, ear and face.
Ross asked Mulinde if he harbors any anger against God for what happened to him. "I'm not angry with God," he answered. "It has encouraged me to serve the Lord more."
Then Mulinde told Ross he also wanted to expose "the lies" that "Islam is a peaceful religion. If you say that Islam is peaceful, look at me," said Mulinde who wears a pressure mask to aid in his healing.
Ross countered that it's been said there are the radical Islamists but also peaceful elements to the religion. "But that's not practical," Mulinde stated emphatically. "Because these radical people, they read what they read from the Koran." Mulinde then demonstrated with a verse from the Koran that, translated, says, "Kill. Fight, and kill those non-Muslims."
Ross asked Mulinde how Christians should then "love their enemy?"
Mulinde answered, "The best way to love your enemy in this case, to love the Muslims is to preach the Gospel of Christ to them. If we take the Gospel of Christ to them-at whatever cost-we are loving them." (Reported by: Breaking Christian News) Read more.
To view the video of Mulinde's interview on CBN, go here.
- Offer a prayer of thanksgiving for the deliverance and the salvation of Umar Mulinde. Pray for his protection now and that of his household. We thank the Lord that this brother, having paid a great price, is yet committed to preaching the gospel to all who will hear. Praise God.
- "Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Praise the Lord." (Psalm 150:6)
Billion Souls Revival Prayer Call
Billion Souls Revival Prayer Call
Devotional for Day 9:
14 August, 2013
Robin J Johnson, Beyond Here, SE Asia
To see a world where immorality is an exception rather than the accepted practice seems impossible. However, if we first address the issue within the church, then there is hope for the world.
But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. (Ephesians 5:3 NIV).
Statistics tell us that adultery, fornication, pornography, divorce etc. are much the same within the church as they are in the world. This being the case, it is obvious then, that we need to pray for a fresh revelation of holiness to come on our lives. How can we pray with any real authority if our lives are no different from the world? If the sanctifying work of the Spirit has not brought about a transformation of our thinking and behaviour what right do we have to tell the world how they should to behave?
We have been redeemed to be free from sin; forgiven and empowered to live holy lives, which reflect the grace of God. Grace must not be an excuse to live weak immoral lives, but an incentive to rise above worldly standards and with the help of the Holy Spirit live in holiness and godliness, bringing glory to God.
The sexual revolution has certainly impacted the world. Whether it is improper sexual behaviour and relationships between either, male and female, male to male or female to female, it all falls into the one same category of immorality and this damages people's lives.
It is time for a new revolution, and it must begin in the household of faith; a revolt against ungodliness and a return to godly standards of pure and holy lives. There is a better way to live; righteous peace and joy in the Holy Spirit; it's time that we showed the world it is possible.
Heavenly Father, may your Kingdom come and your will be done in our lives, that the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit transform and empower us to live pure lives in all godliness, to bring praise and honour to you. Where we have fallen short and sinned against you, we ask for your forgiveness in Jesus' name.
Help us make righteous choices as we choose to obey your Word and not follow the standards of this world. Holy Spirit, help us live sexually pure lives free from perversion in word and in deed. May we truly hate sin and in turn have the courage to pursue righteousness and holiness. Thank you for your grace on our lives. Teach us to walk in true holiness. In Jesus' name, I pray!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
"You Reign" by Mercy Me
" . . . Even before Your Hand made the Heavens; even before the breath of all mankind; even before we had to be forgiven, You reign . . ."