Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Monday, August 26, 2013
Praying the Word of God
over the News of the Day
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting that your name be added to our list of subscribers.
The Daily Brief
1. Rim Fire udpate: Massive Yosemite fire creating its own weather pattern- CBS
A wildfire burning over a dry timber and brush area the size of Chicago is creating its own weather pattern and forecasts for high wind gusts today could make it even less predictable. Higher winds could push the fire further into the northwest edge of Yosemite National Park, threatening thousands of rural homes, as well as San Francisco's water and energy supply. The Rim Fire is only about 7 percent contained
The massive, 203-square-mile blaze is also burning in the vicinity of two groves of giant sequoias that are unique to the region, prompting park employees to take extra precautions of clearing brush and setting sprinklers.
On Saturday night, officials in San Francisco were monitoring the situation closely. The fire is threatening some of San Francisco's vital utilities. The city owns power lines just outside the fire zone, and 85 percent of its water comes from the Hetch Hetchy reservoir, which is about 4 miles from the inferno. The flames have already shut down two of the city's hydroelectric power plants. Gov. Jerry Brown has declared a state of emergency.
- Heavenly Father, this massive fire, which is threatening lives, homes, electrical and water supplies, as well as some of Your unique creations - the giant Sequoia trees, we ask You to raise up Your right hand and extend Your arm to preserve these unique creations and to protect the many rural homes and lives that exist in this area. Be in the midst of the firefighters, and emergency workers who are battling these flames, keeping a hedge of protection around them and directing their actions. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- I will lift up my eyes to the hills - from whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. (Psalm 121:1-2)
2. DOJ Tries to Stop School-Choice for Poor Children in Failing Louisiana Public Schools - CNS
The U.S. Justice Department is trying to stop the state from distributing school vouchers in any district that remains under a desegregation court order. In papers filed Saturday in U.S. District Court in New Orleans, the Justice Department said Louisiana distributed vouchers in 2012-13 to nearly 600 public school students in districts that are still under such orders, and "many of those vouchers impeded the desegregation process."
"The Obama administration thinks parents should have to seek their approval any time parents want to send their child to a school of their choice," Jindal said in a news release. "After generations of being denied a choice, parents finally can choose a school for their child, but now the federal government is stepping in to prevent parents from exercising this right. Shame on them. Parents should have the ability to decide where to send their child to school."
- Abba Father, the DOJ wants to block 'school choice' vouchers for parents who could not otherwise afford to send their children to good schools, stating that it is impeding 'desegregation'. What is not being said is that for parents who could afford private schools, their children have already left these schools and now parents who could not afford to do this on their own are being blocked from a state law change that would assist them to change the schools their children attend. Governor Jindall stated that this is shameful to deny these parents this right. Rise up Lord and allow these children to be given this choice, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. (Galatians 6:7)
3. Judge Strikes Down Obama's 'Improper' NLRB Recess Appointment - Lexology
A federal judge struck down one of President Obama's highly controversial recess appointments to the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). U.S. District Judge Benjamin Settle ruled in a case involving a Washington State firm charged with unfair labor practices that that "the Board is without power to act because it lacks a properly appointed quorum."
On August 12, four new NRLB members appointed by President Obama and confirmed by the Senate were sworn-in, but Settles' August 13th decision invalidates all previous actions taken by Obama's recess appointees. In July, Obama was forced to withdrew his 2012 "recess" appointees, Sharon Block and Richard Griffin, because they were named to the NLRB while the Senate was still in session and their appointments were subsequently ruled unconstitutional in federal court.
But Settle ruled that Solomon's appointment was invalid because the Federal Vacancies Reform Act requires that the appointee serve "as a personal assistant to the departing officer" within the year prior to the appointment, which Solomon did not do.
- Lord, there have been a number of appointments to various boards and governmental positions which have been questioned as to legality. Here is a lawsuit that cannot be processed as 'proper appointment procedures' were not followed so the NRLB did not have a legally appointed quorum of people to be filing suit. Lord, we bind and rebuke the spirits of arrogance and false power that causes this kind of problem, in the name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- Wisdom rests in the heart of him who has understanding, but what is in the heart of fools is made known. (Proverbs 14:33)
4. Sen. Corker to Obama: Senate Needs 'Full Briefing' on NSA Surveillance - CNS
Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, is calling on President Obama to provide senators with a "full briefing" on the National Security Administration's (NSA) domestic surveillance activities.
"Members of Congress regularly read new revelations on the front pages of various newspapers," Corker wrote in a letter he sent to Obama Wednesday, adding that they "are left to wonder why these prior briefings . . . did not cover the material contained in these articles."
Corker asked that the Senate be briefed by NSA Director Keith Alexander on the "totality" of the NSA's activities "no later than Friday, September 13" in light of documents leaked by former government contractor Edward Snowden that show the NSA may have been involved in thousands of illegal privacy violations as it collected massive amounts of data on Americans without a court order.
- Thank you Lord Jesus, that Sen. Bob Corker is asking for full disclosure of what NSA has been doing as to domestic surveillance activities. This nation was set up legally as a balance of power and this power balance has increasingly been ignored and pushed aside. We ask that this surveillance be investigated and that as citizens our rights be protected from unlawful intrusion without just cause. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people. (Proverbs 14:34)
5. Defense Department Education Materials Warn of 'Extremists' That Speak of 'Individual Liberties, States' Rights, and How to Make the World a Better Place' - The Blaze
U.S. Department of Defense education materials obtained by Judicial Watch, a conservative watchdog group, warn of "extremists" that will "talk of individual liberties, states' rights, and how to make the world a better place." Judicial Watch and other conservative media outlets claim the disclosure indicates the department is teaching that conservative views are "extremist" in nature.
- Heavenly Father, we come before Your throne to ask that this twisting of the original laws of this nation stop being torn down and mocked as a 'danger'. We bind and rebuke in the name of Jesus these spirits of distortion, falsehood and hatred that are operative in these materials. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- Do not forsake me, O Lord; O my God, be not far from me ! Make haste to help me, O Lord, my salvation! (Psalm 38: 21-22)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Messiah Yeshua throughout all ages, forever. Amen." (Ephesians 3:20-21)
1. Israelis Flock to Gas Mask Distribution Stations - Arutz Sheva
As tensions in Syria rise to unprecedented heights, Israelis, fearful of a possible chemical attack by its northern neighbor, have been flocking to gas mask distribution stations. Distribution of updated masks and chemical protection kits have been going on for several years, but on Sunday hordes of Israelis who have neglected to get their updated kits flocked to post offices, which are responsible for the distribution.
2. Netanyahu: Syria is Iran's 'testing ground' - Israel Hayom
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu commented Thursday on the reports suggesting Syrian President Bashar Assad had used chemical weapons to attack civilians on Wednesday, saying that if Syria is not punished, its ally Iran could be encouraged to develop nuclear weapons.
3. PM: Israel's 'finger on the pulse' of Syria developments, if necessary will also be 'on the trigger' - Jerusalem Post
Syria's use of chemical weapons against its own people "simply demonstrates" what will happen if Iran gets even deadlier weapons, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said Sunday before a meeting with French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius.
4. Jerusalem pushes forth with settlement plans - Ynet News
Jerusalem pushed forward Sunday with plans to construct 1,500 apartments in east Jerusalem in a move that could undermine recently renewed Israeli-Palestinian peace talks.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"Because of the devastation of the afflicted, because of the groaning of the needy, Now I will arise," says the Lord; "I will set him in the safety for which he longs." (Psalm 12:5)
1. Young Evangelist in Iran Sentenced to Prison and Exile - BosNewsLife
An Iranian court has sentenced a young evangelical Christian to one year imprisonment and two years exile to a remote border town for his involvement in evangelism and house churches, Iranian Christians told BosNewsLife Tuesday, August 20.
The Revolutionary Court in the city of Robat-Karim, some 27 kilometers (17 miles) southwest of Tehran, reportedly told Ebrahim Firouzi that his "Books (Bibles), and other means of evangelism taken from him, including his personal computer, which were used to commit this crime will be seized in favor of the government and destroyed."
Judge Ali Babaei allegedly said the sentence was justified as Firouzi had been "propagating against the Islamic regime [by] starting and directing an evangelism group, contact with opponents of the Islamic Revolution and anti-Islamic regime networks in foreign countries".
The judge said said holding house church services was "a criminal act which spreads profligacy among youth and creates doubts in their minds about Islamic principles."
Therefore "the court sentences [you] to one year of imprisonment including the days already served. . . [and after that you are] condemned to spend two years in exile in the border town of Sarbaz in Sistan and Baluchestan province," the Christian was told.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
God Will Make A Way
God will make a way
Where there seems to be no way
He works in ways we cannot see
He will make a way for me
He will be my guide
Hold me closely to His side
With love and strength for each new day
He will make a way, He will make a way