The Taliban movement in Afghanistan has set 3:30 a.m. ET Wednesday as another deadline for the remaining 21 South Korean hostages, a purported Taliban spokesman said on Tuesday, a day after the Taliban shot dead a second captive. Police discovered the body of a second South Korean hostage in central Afghanistan, and the Taliban threatened Tuesday to kill more captives if their demands were not met by a new deadline.
· Lord, we pray that You will intervene in this situation quickly! We pray a hedge of protection around these hostages and a mighty deliverance from You! Change the circumstances so that they will be released safely!
· Flash forth lightning and scatter them; shoot out Your arrows and destroy them. Stretch out Your hand from above; Rescue me and deliver me out of great waters, from the hand of foreigners (Psalms 144:6, 7)
2. Christian Group Warns U.S. Against Pressuring Israel on Peace Deal - Fox News
Diplomacy is back in fashion in the Middle East as former British Prime Minister Tony Blair tries his hand at bringing Israel and the Palestinians to a two-state solution of peaceful neighbors. "I don't believe Israel should give up any piece of their land. I think they've given up too much of their land," said Michelle Stephens, one of 50 million Evangelicals who are said to be "waking up" to the idea that Israel's existence is integrally tied to their own religious outlook.
· Lord, there are many pressures on Israel to give up land for peace. We believe that the borders You gave Israel in the June 1967 Six-Day War were the ones You wanted; so we pray that no one will be able to come against Your will for Israel!
· But in every nation whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him. The word which God sent to the children of Israel, preaching peace through Jesus Christ; He is Lord of all! (Acts 10:35, 36)
3. Rice agrees $20bn arms deal with Arab states -Times Online
Huge US arms package for Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Gulf states is reward for help to beat Iraq insurgency and isolate Iran. Condoleezza Rice told Arab leaders today that they would be rewarded with multi-billion dollar arms deals for isolating Iran and helping the United States to defeat the insurgency in Iraq.
The statement also explicitly called for the prevention of "the transit of terrorists to Iraq" and an end to the "supply of arms and training to the militia and extra-Governmental groups" in the war-torn country.
· Lord, You said, what has light to do with darkness. You encourage us to walk uprightly and wisely. Let it be so in this instance and give Condoleezza Rice great wisdom and discernment about deals we make with these Middle East and other nations!
· Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? (2 Corinthians 6:14)
4. A new entitlement for illegals- The Washington Times
Unsatisfied with thwarting a Republican effort to authorize $3 billion for a border fence, congressional Democrats are trying to enhance the incentive for illegal aliens to enter the United States by removing the citizenship requirement from the popular State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP).
This reflects the Democrats' eagerness to offer free services to illegals at taxpayer expense, undermining the principles of both immigration law and good governance. The Democratic expansion of SCHIP will actually allow children who currently have private health insurance to switch to the federally subsidized program, saddling taxpayers with yet another entitlement burden.
· Lord, we pray that no one will be able to enter this country nor get into our systems who are lawbreaking illegals or terrorists. Make us a strong Christian nation! For every lawbreaker, make them Christians!
· Two things I request of You, deprive me not before I die: remove falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches. Feed me with the food allotted to me; lest I be full and deny You, and say, "Who is the Lord?" Or lest I be poor and steal, and profane the name of my God. (Proverbs 30:9)
5. U.S. toll in Iraq lowest in 8 months - AP
BAGHDAD - The U.S. military said Tuesday that a Marine was killed in fighting west of the capital, bringing the American death toll for July to at least 73 - still the lowest in eight months.
While steady progress has been made on the military front, Iraq's political factions have made only limited headway in achieving reconciliation, said Navy Adm. Michael Mullen, who has been nominated to replace U.S. Gen. Peter Pace as the nation's top military officer. Control over the city and the surrounding oil wealth is in dispute. Kurds are trying to annex the region. Iraq's Arab majority and a Turkish minority that lives in Kirkuk oppose that move.
· Lord, we give You praise for what You are doing in Iraq! We pray Your peace which comes from knowing Jesus will saturate areas especially where there is the greatest darkness! Let the gospel be rooted quickly and deeply!
· For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world - our faith. (1 John 5:4) Yours, O Lord, is the greatness, the power and the glory, the victory and the majesty; for all that is in heaven and in earth is Yours; Yours is the kingdom, O Lord, and You are exalted as head over all. (1 Chronicles 29:11)
6. Trio of Fast-Moving Wildfires Threatens 200 Homes in Montana - FoxNews
A trio of fast-moving wildfires threatened nearly 200 homes in western Montana on Monday. Residents of about 40 homes were asked to leave the area east of Clinton Sunday night as a 1,000-acre blaze - about a square mile - burned along Interstate 90.
Here is a report, and prayer requests from Deb P., one of our Prayer Partners who lives in the direct path of this fire: "Because our fire has been slow in growth (PRAISE GOD!) it has been low on the priority list. There are no men on the ground, as the terrain is quite steep and dangerous - this means that until the fire hits the valley floor (where we all are) the attack needs to be from the air, but there have been no helicopters or retardant planes available on a consistent basis."
Deb is asking prayer for: drenching rain; no wind or lightning; safety for the firefighters when they ARE able to get on the fire; the raising up of firefighting resources. Please pray,too, for the safety for those that live in this valley (Rock Creek) - there is only one road in/out, so there is a very strong possibility that we will be evacuated within a short time.
· Let us all raise up a CHORUS OF INTERCESSION for the safety of all residents in the State of Montana, where numerous fires are now burning. Fires are burning tonight, too, in Idaho, in eastern Michigan, and in Santa Barbara, California. Thank you, God, for hearing our prayers. Amen.
· "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)