1. Democrats Set to Seek Wider Tax Increases - NY Sun
Democrats may dodge a tax hike on private equity managers and instead look to raise other taxes that would generate greater revenue from a broader swath of the American economy.
· Father we ask that Your Spirit of wisdom would intervene over the choices our legislators are making with regard to tax increases.
· For wisdom is better than rubies. (Proverbs 8:11)
2. Hope Dims After Minneapolis Bridge Collapse MINNEAPOLIS - MSNBC
Authorities revise death toll to 4; up to 30 still missing; probe to begin. Federal officials and Minnesota lawmakers prepared to travel to the Twin Cities Thursday to begin investigating the collapse of an interstate bridge into the Mississippi River.
· Lord we pray for mercy and comfort for the victims of this tragedy.
· to You, O Lord, belongs mercy. (Psalm 62:12)
3. Russia Plants Flag on Seabed Under North Pole MOSCOW - Reuters
A Russian submersible reached the bottom of the Arctic Ocean on Thursday in a mission to symbolically claim the resource-rich region by planting a flag on the seabed under the North Pole, Russian media reported.
· Father we bind every plan of any government to claim the oil rich arctic for themselves. We pray against any conflicts between nations over this region, and ask Your intervention in Russia, to change the hearts of the leadership.
·So shall He sprinkle many nations. Kings shall shut their mouths at Him; for what had not been told them they shall see, and what they had not heard they shall consider. (Isaiah 52:15)
4. Earthquakes rattle two countries TOKYO - Fox News
A strong quake hit near Sakhalin island in Russia's Far East on Thursday, reportedly killing one person and sending small tsunami waves to northern Japan.
WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- A powerful earthquake rattled Vanuatu in the South Pacific early Thursday, causing cracks in roads and buildings and prompting brief evacuations due to tsunami fears, officials said.
· Lord we pray that You would remember mercy, and extend Your help in these last days.
· Yet once more I shake not only the earth, but also heaven. (Haggai 2:6)
5. Congressmen Invest in Businesses in Terror-Sponsor States- CNSNews.com
More than 30 members of Congress, or their spouses, invest in companies that do business in countries that U.S. government says sponsor terrorists, a Cybercast News Service investigation has established.
· Father we pray the conviction of the Holy Spirit in the hearts of our congressmen. Let righteousness begin to reign in our land as You reveal truth to those who have sought a greedy agenda.
· But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation and a snare. . .(1 Timothy 6:9)
6. House passes sweeping Ethics Bill- Fox News
The House overwhelmingly passed a comprehensive ethics and lobbying reform bill Tuesday, accepting tough rules offered by Democratic leaders to crack down on travel, gift-giving to members, bundling of campaign contributions and earmarks dropped into spending bills.
· Lord we thank You for beginning to change the operating methods of Congress away from unethical practices. But we ask that You reveal any hidden agendas within the bill, and loopholes which could allow abuses of the legislation.
· He who speaks truth declares righteousness . . . (Proverbs 12:17)
7. US House Passes Children's Health Plan - Int'l Herald Tribune
Over angry Republican objections, the House on Wednesday passed a sweeping expansion of the Children's Health Insurance Program, financed with increases in tobacco taxes and cuts in subsidies to private Medicare insurance plans for older Americans.
· Lord You know the secret agendas of those who prepared this bill, and the President's plan to veto it. We ask that You grant the President wisdom and protect the American people from socialized healthcare. We pray that the portions of the bill that actually help children would be preserved and re-written without the political positioning.
· And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. (John 14:13)