1. Bush Vetoes Bill on Stem Cell Research - AP
Pushing back against the Democratic-led Congress , President Bush vetoed a bill Wednesday that would have eased restraints on federally funded embryonic stem cell research -- work that supporters say holds promise for fighting disease. Democrats, who had made the stem cell legislation a top priority when they took control of the House and Senate in January, were quick to denounce the president's decision.
· Dear God, to You, murder cannot be permitted, for it is written in the Sixth Commandment: "THOU SHALT NOT KILL." We pray for those who think that Your Word is arbitrary and that Your Son is inconsequential in today's world. May any type of research founded upon the taking of human life be stopped, for Your Glory! Amen. · "Thou shalt not kill." (Exodus 20: 13)
2. Potential Suicide Bombers in USA and Europe, But Homeland Security Says "No Threat" - ABC News; Fox News
Large teams of suicide bombers are being sent to the United States and Europe, assigned to carry out attacks in the United States, Canada, Great Britain and Germany were introduced at an al Qaeda/Taliban training camp graduation ceremony held June 9. A Pakistani journalist took pictures of 300 terrorists, some as young as 12, as they were supposedly sent off on their suicide missions.
However, a Homeland Security Official told Fox News Monday night after ABC News posted their suicide bomber report, that there is no credible intelligence suggesting an imminent Al Qaeda threat to the U.S. and that the video appears to be part of a propaganda mission, as other cameras are seen at the event.
· Dear Lord, as this multi-headed Islamic enemy tries to launch its sucide attacks in the United States, Canada, Great Britain, Germany and other countries known only to You, we humbly ask You to give us Your insight and wisdom to know how to pray against their merciless plans and false religion. All of this would be hopeless without You! May many Muslims come to know You as their Savior through their foiled destructive plans, and may we remember to acknowledge that it was You who stopped them! · "'And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes . . . says the Lord of hosts." (Malachi 3:11 NKJV)
3. Wyoming GOP Selects Senatorial Candidates Sansonetti, Barrasso and Lummis - Casper Star-Tribune (Wyoming)
After a day of deliberating and questioning, the Wyoming Republican Party's Central Committee on Tuesday selected the three candidates who will be potential replacements for the late Sen. Craig Thomas. Emerging from three rounds of voting were Tom Sansonetti of Cheyenne, Dr. John Barrasso of Casper and Cynthia Lummis of Cheyenne. The Governor is the next step in the selection process when he picks the next Republican Senator from Wyoming in just four days!
· Dear Lord, we continue to ask You to assist Governor Freudenthal as he deliberates and chooses someone who, based truly upon their integrity and experience, will make the best U.S. Senator for Wyoming! · "Let me be weighed on honest scales, that God may know my integrity." (Job 31: 6 NKJV)
4. "Gay" Rites Advance In Albany, As NY Assembly Gives Its Okay - New York Sun
For gay rights advocates, yesterday's vote in the New York Assembly to legalize same-sex marriage was a watershed moment to be celebrated. For many lawmakers in the chamber, it was a day of hard political calculations, painful choices, and apprehension. The Democrat-led Assembly Tuesday night voted to 85 to 61 to allow same-sex couples to wed in New York, the first time that a legislative body in the state has approved gay marriage. The vote pushed New York closer to becoming the second state in the nation to legalize gay marriage, after Massachusetts, and the first to do so through a legislative process.
· Father God, we cry out to You for protection of Your institutions of marriage and family. May the evil one not mock You any more with the sham of "Gay" marriage. There is nothing gay, or happy, about it! · "O Lord, God of my salvation, I have cried out day and night before You. Let my prayer come before You; incline Your ear to my cry." (Psalm 88: 1-2)
5. Death Toll In Texas Floods Reaches Six - MSNBC
The body of a 2-year-old girl was found in a tree Tuesday, raising the death toll from floods that swept part of North Texas to six, officials said. The National Weather Service said rain fell at a rate of an inch every 15 minutes in some places early Monday. The problem is a stubborn area of spinning low pressure that arrived from the Pacific Ocean last week.
· Dear Lord, we thank You for the rains in Texas, but we ask You to please end the devastation by this overabundance of moisture! We pray for rain to end droughts in traditionally dry areas of our country. We ask You to comfort those who have lost loved ones in this disaster, in Your Name, amen. · "I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever; with my mouth will I make known Your faithfulness to all generations. For I have said, 'Mercy shall be built up forever; Your faithfulness You shall establish in the very heavens." (Psalm 89: 1,2)