This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
In your good pleasure make Zion prosper; build up the walls of Jerusalem. (Psalm 51:18)
1. Abbas Surrenders Gaza, Hopes to Save West Bank - AP
Palestinian president says he'll dissolve Palestinian Authority as Hamas nears complete rout of Fatah. Witnesses say Hamas forces have taken over Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas' compound in Gaza City. Abbas wasn't there at the time. The beleaguered leader abandoned Gaza and fled to the West Bank, where those from his own Fatah party went on the offensive and rounded up three dozen Hamas fighters. The fear was that Hamas' momentum could spread to the West Bank.
Abbas also intends to call for the deployment of a multinational force in Gaza and plans to appoint an independent politician to replace Ismail Haniyeh of Hamas as prime minister, the aides said.
· Lord, we pray Your continued protection over the nation of Israel. Let Your Spirit move in this situation and cover Your people against the plans of the wicked. · "Break the arm of the wicked and the evil man; seek out his wickedness until You find none." (Psalm 10:15)
2. Rice Calls Abbas After State of Emergency Declared - AP
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice spoke to Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas Thursday as his coalition government crumbled at the hands of the rival Hamas faction. "President Abbas exercised his lawful authority as leader of the Palestinian people," Rice told reporters after meeting with foreign ministers from Latvia and Lithuania. "He was elected in 2005 by a large margin. We fully support him in his effort to end this crisis and bring peace to the Palestinian people. "
Rice pledged U.S. support for moderates working for peace with Israel after the Palestinian leader declared a state of emergency in response to Hamas' movement in Gaza. "Just because we have these challenges does not mean we give up on the Palestinian people. That is not what President Bush says, not what Secretary Rice is going to do," said Sean McCormack, State Department spokesman.
3. Multinational force for Gaza considered - Ynet News
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said he discussed the possible deployment of a multinational force in Gaza with the Security Council on Wednesday after the Israeli and Palestinian leaders raised the idea.
4. Solana says EU would consider military role in Gaza if asked - Ha'aretz
The European Union would consider participating in an international force in Gaza if asked by the major players in the region, the EU's foreign policy chief Javier Solana said Wednesday.
5. Fatah Officials Call for Abbas to Resign - Jerusalem Post
Hamas neared control of the entire Gaza Strip after a day of battles in which the Islamist fighters dislodged rival Fatah forces from key positions, sending some fleeing into Egypt, surrendering or destroying their bases instead of turning them over.
· Father as Hamas declares victory in this violent take-over, we ask that the world see exactly what kind of terrorism they are dealing with and stand against it. We ask Your protection and strength for Israel. · "And they shall call them The Holy People, the Redeemed of the Lord and you shall be called Sought Out, A City Not Forsaken." (Isaiah 62:12)
6. Peres Elected To Israel's Presidency - Ynet News
Vice Premier Shimon Peres was elected Israel's ninth president Wednesday afternoon by a Knesset majority.
· Lord we pray for Mr. Peres, that you reveal Yourself to Him and cause His heart to follow Your ways. · "Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, let not the mighty man glory in his might, nor let the rich man glory in his riches; but let him who glories, glory in this, the he understands and knows Me." (Jeremiah 9:24)
7. Police authorize Jerusalem pride parade - Ynet News
Jerusalem Police Chief Ilan Franco informed the Open House organization Wednesday that he decided to approve their request to hold the gay pride parade in the capital next week.
· Father in this reversal of the law passed last week by the Knesset, we declare that You are Lord over Jerusalem and will destroy every plan of men to have this parade in God's Holy City. · "For on this mountain the hand of the Lord will rest, . . . and He will spread out His hands in their midst. . . and He will bring down their pride together with the trickery of their hands." (Isaiah 25:11)