Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
Tuesday, July 7, 2015
"But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." (Joshua 24:15)
Focus on Greece
Focus on Greece
1. Economic Crisis Deepens as Greeks Say a Resounding 'No' to More Austerity - CNSNews.com
European leaders are scrambling to respond to a resounding rejection of a rescue package to resolve Greece's debt crisis, facing a choice between softening the bailout demands on Greece or seeing it leave the Eurozone currency bloc - possibly triggering a bigger exodus.
With all votes counted, the official result of Sunday's referendum was 61.3 percent "no" to the tough austerity measures contained in a new bailout package, and 38.69 percent "yes." Monday markets in Japan, Australia and South Korea opened down on the news.
Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras, who in a high-stakes move called the snap referendum and urged citizens to vote no, welcomed the result, saying he viewed the mandate as one that strengthens his negotiating position with creditors - not one that calls for a rupture with Europe. (Read more)
- Father, we thank You that, no matter what, the people of Greece are holding the line on more spending. We thank You for their courage, in Jesus' name, amen and amen.
- "Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law." (Romans 13:8)
2. Greece votes No: The European Union is dying before our eyes - The Telegraph UK
It's not just disaffected pensioners: young Greeks have worked out that they don't need the bloated EU Despite the scaremongering and bullying from those in Brussels, we are waking today with Greece having delivered a resounding No.
That comes despite EU bosses saying that it would mean a Greek exit from the Euro, not to mention the heavy economic pressure placed on the Greek people to go along with the wishes of Brussels. It is a crushing defeat for those Eurocrats who believe that you can simply bulldoze public opinion.
Chief bully-boy Martin Schulz, President of the European Parliament, and other supposed leaders of the European Union did their best to terrify the Greek people into submitting to the wishes of the European Union. But they utterly failed. The fear espoused by the Yes campaign was rejected. Opinion polls that put the Yes side ahead just days before were way out, as thousands upon thousands of Greek citizens lined the streets chanting "Oxi." (No!) [Read more]
- Father, may the people of Greece wake up to the fact that man will fail them. We cannot depend on man to take care of, and provide for our needs. Our provision comes from God, and God alone.
- "And let our own [people really] learn to apply themselves to good deeds (to honest labor and honorable employment), so that they may be able to meet necessary demands whenever the occasion may require and not be living idle and uncultivated and unfruitful lives." (Titus 3: 14)
3. After Greece's "no" vote, Athens and eurozone ponder next move - DW.com
The Greek government has secured the "no" vote it wanted in the referendum on EU-IMF creditor austerity proposals. Now it has to reach an agreement with its lenders to avoid a eurozone exit.
Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras called the Sunday's result against the austerity proposals from the European Union and International Monetary Fund (EU-IMF) a "victory of democracy." But he also tweeted that Athens would continue its "national effort to reach an agreement" with its creditors.
Figures from Sunday's referendum showed about 61 percent voted "no," compared with 39 percent for "yes," to demands by international creditors for more austerity measures in exchange for a bailout of its bankrupt economy. One hundred percent of the vote has been counted. Turnout was 62 percent.
Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis issued a statement on Sunday night saying the referendum result was "a loud YES to the vision of a Eurozone offering the prospect of social justice with shared prosperity for all Europeans." (Read more)
- Mighty Lord, we ask You to cover this situation with Your hand so that no global crisis will develop from the unwise practices of this one country. We pray for You to give Europe's leaders Your creative wisdom in handling this indebtedness and the care of the Greek people. We pray for that which is fair and just to be done to minimize suffering''; and for the Greek people to look to You for Your provision.
- "Sow for yourselves righteousness; reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground, for it is time to seek the Lord, till He comes and reigns righteousness for you." (Hosea 10:12)
4. Flashback to Dec. 17, 2014: The EU parliament backed Palestinian state 'in principle' 498 - 88, the day the Euro started collapse - The Guardian UK
Israel has been hammered by a series of diplomatic rebuffs across Europe after the European parliament voted overwhelmingly for qualified recognition of the Palestinian state. The vote on Wednesday came on the same day as a meeting of signatories to the Geneva conventions warned that Israel must respect international humanitarian law in the occupied Palestinian territories.
The rare international meeting in Switzerland of the high contracting parties to the Geneva conventions was boycotted by Israel, the US, Canada and Australia.
In a further upset for Israel, the EU's second-highest court ordered the removal of Hamas from a terrorist blacklist, citing legal problems with the listing, though it added that the Islamist group's assets would remain frozen for three months pending an almost certain appeal.(Read more)
- Father, we are in the end times, which states in Your Word that people will call right wrong, and wrong right. We speak favor and protection over Israel. We pray Israel prospers in spite of this vote.
- "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!" (Isa 5:20)
5. Quartet of crises threatens Europe's core - Reuters
Four great crises around Europe's fringes threaten to engulf the European Union, potentially setting the ambitious post-war unification project back by decades.
The EU's unity, solidarity and international standing are at risk from Greece's debt, Russia's role in Ukraine, Britain's attempt to change its relationship with the bloc, and Mediterranean migration. Failure to cope adequately with any one of these would worsen the others, amplifying the perils confronting "Project Europe".
Greece's default and the risk, dubbed 'Grexit', that it may crash out of the shared euro currency is the most immediate challenge to the long-standing notion of an "ever closer union" of European states and peoples. (Read more)
- Dear Lord of all the earth, we call on You to alter the hearts of men so that these issues may be solved without the interference of socialist-minded Russia to grab more land and influence. You said You hear the prayers of those who call on You, so we lift up our voices to call for a movement of prayer among the European nations to change the atmosphere to one of Godly wisdom in all these areas. Thank you for moving in the affairs of men.
- "This decision is by the decree of the watchers, and the sentence by the word of the holy ones, in order that the living may know that the most high rules in the kingdom of men, gives it to whomever he will, and sets over it the lowest of men."
6. Greek aftershock: Worsening debt crisis rattles US stock markets - Fox News
Financial markets react after Greece bailout plan rejected, finance minister quits
Greece's debt crisis sent shivers through American stock markets Monday, a day after Greek voters rejected demands from international creditors for further austerity measures in exchange for a bailout of its bankrupt economy.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell more than 100 points after the opening bell, at one point hitting its lowest level since early February, before recovering much of the losses, dipping below 45 points at 12 p.m. EST. The dip followed plunges by markets in Europe and around the world as the government of Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras struggled to find its way through the crisis, which included the resignation Monday morning of Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis. (Read more)
- Father God, many who keep a close eye on the markets and the global economy have seen this day coming for some time now, and they have been warning our nation to get out of debt. And now, in this year of the Shemitah, when all is being weighed before the Throne of God, we are found wanting. Lord God, we ask for Your mercy in the midst of judgment, and that You would yet teach us Your ways in managing our finances.
May this shaking in the markets cause men, who are normally so proud of themselves, instead humble themselves and now seek Your face, in repentance, for the decisions that must be made.
We ask a special blessing upon the private Bible studies that are held each week on Wall Street, that those who attend might come to know You as their Savior and as their Lord. In the name of Jesus Christ we pray, amen.
- "Teach me your way, LORD, that I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name." (Psalm 86:11)
7. Netanyahu Meets Greece's Prime Minister in Israel - Israel National News
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu met on Monday with Greek Foreign Minister Nikolaos Kotzias, and promised to support the flailing state of Greece as it deals with bankruptcy.
"You are arriving here at a critical time for Greece and I appreciate your visit," Netanyahu said at the start of the meeting. "It expresses the true obligation between us."
"We are today two Western democracies seeking peace and security, and Israel is obligated to help in any way we can so that you succeed, not only because we are friendly nations - we also have an alliance against militant Islamic terror which endangers not only the Middle East but the entire world."
Kotzias responded, saying, "I'm very happy to be here in Israel, we know that Israel is a close and important friend of Greece." (Read more -- excerpts)
- Father, in the midst of this disastrous day for Greece, we thank You that Israel stands as its friend. May the alliance promised by P.M. Netanyahu stand strong in the days ahead, as Greece finds its way back to a healthy and strong economy. We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen and amen.
- "If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it." (John 14:14)
The Middle East in Focus
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you." (Isaiah 54:10)
1. Israel gears up to battle Iran deal in Congress --Times of Israel
Israel is preparing for the next phase of its fierce opposition to the Iran nuclear deal, by lobbying US Congressmen and women to block the emerging comprehensive agreement once it is finalized and goes to lawmakers for approval. But some in Jerusalem fear it is a lost cause given the belief that the potential economic benefits from resuming business with Iran could significantly outweigh political considerations.
The US-led P5+1 world powers and Tehran are currently in the midst of negotiations to hammer out a deal to curb Iran's nuclear ambitions and remove crippling sanctions imposed on the Islamic Republic. On Saturday, the Associated Press reported that the powers and Iran had drawn up a draft document on the pace and timing of sanctions relief, advancing on one of the most contentious issues at their negotiations. (Read more)
2. Israel Is Building an Anti-ISIS Fence Along Border With Jordan - NBC News
TEL AVIV, Israel - Israel has taken one more step to walling itself off from its neighbors.
The border with Jordan is the last Israeli frontier that is totally open to a neighboring country; the borders with Egypt, Syria and Lebanon are all fenced off.
But the nation's Security Cabinet adopted a proposal last month to build an approximately 18-mile-long fence along Israel's eastern border with Jordan. (Read more)
3. Jerusalem Firefighters Contain Blaze Threatening Biblical Zoo - Arson Suspected - Algmeiner
The suspicion that the fire was caused by an arson attack came as the result of an initial investigation by authorities carried out close to the time the fire broke out.
Fire investigators attached to the Fire and Rescue teams in Jerusalem located the starting point of the fire, near the western slopes of the Palestinian village of Batir. According to the investigators, the fire was started at multiple points within an area very close to the residential part of the village.
Eight firefighting teams rushed to the area, and were able to contain the spread of the flames. Two firefighting planes also joined in the effort to control the fire.
Due to the fire's proximity to an Israeli railway route, train traffic on the Jerusalem line was also halted. (Read more)
4. Israel: Concessions will pave way to Iranian bomb - Israel Hayom
"What's coming out of the nuclear talks in Vienna is not a breakthrough, it's a breakdown," Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said at the start of Sunday's cabinet meeting, amidst concerning reports, citing diplomats involved in the matter, that world powers and Iran have drawn up a draft document on the pace and timing of sanctions relief for Iran in exchange for curbs on its nuclear program.
"With each passing day, the concessions from the powers to Iran are growing," Netanyahu said. "The emerging deal will pave Iran's path to the production of cores for many atomic bombs. Also, billions of dollars will flow to Iran which it will use to fund its aggression and terror campaign, both in the region and throughout the world. This is a bad deal, worse, in my opinion, than the deal with North Korea, which led to North Korea getting a nuclear arsenal." (Read more)
5. Palestinians Officially File Israeli 'War Crimes' Charges at ICC - New York Times
Palestinians on Wednesday, July 01 2015 prepared to submit to the International Criminal Court what they called evidence of Israeli war crimes, a move that will saddle the beleaguered, overstretched court with a new and potentially long-running headache.
The effort is part of the Palestinians' campaign to punish Israel in the international arena and to advance their push for a state. It signals Palestinian defiance against Israeli threats of retaliation and underscores the breakdown of peace talks.
It comes on the heels of a United Nations Commission of Inquiry report released Monday, which found that both Israel and Palestinian militants might have committed war crimes in last summer's conflict in Gaza. Palestinians are likely to incorporate parts of the 217-page report into the files they submit Thursday to the court, based at The Hague. (Read more)
6. Anti-Semitism in Canada Reaches New Record High - Worldnews.com
Anti-Semitism in Canada reached new all-time highs in 2014, a new report revealed. B'nai Brith Canada, a Jewish human rights organization that has tracked and documented anti-Semitism in Canada for the last 30 years, recorded 1,627 anti-Semitic incidents across the country last year.
The group's annual audit showed a 28 percent increase in the number of anti-Semitic incidents compared with 2013. The previous record of anti-Semitic incidents was from 2012, with 1,345 acts across the country. According to B'nai Brith, majority of cases - 1,370 incidents - involved some type of harassment. 238 cases of vandalism were recorded and 19 occurrences involving harmful violence. (Read more)
7. Senator Cruz Blasts Obama for Opening Embassy in Havana Before Jerusalem - Reuters
Republican presidential candidate Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) contrasted President Barack Obama's announcement of plans to open an embassy in Havana, Cuba, with the U.S. refusal to move its Israel embassy to Jerusalem.
"How sad is it that under the Obama administration the United States is going to have an embassy in Havana before we have an embassy in Jerusalem, that this administration will be friendlier to a Communist dictator who hates America and seeks to undermine our nation, than it is willing to stand with our close friend and ally, the nation of Israel," Cruz said Wednesday, the day Obama announced the opening of a U.S. embassy in Havana. (Read more)
8. Costa Rica becomes 33rd country to launch pro-Israel caucus - Jerusalem Post
Costa Rica launched an official Israel Allies Caucus in its parliament last week, becoming the 33rd country in the world to do so, officials present at the event said Sunday.
The caucus was facilitated by The Israel Allies Foundation, an organization dedicated to promoting communication between parliamentarians and legislators around the world who share the belief that the State of Israel has the right to exist in peace within secure borders. (Read more)
- Father we thank You for Costa Rica supporting Israel! We ask that You bless this country. We pray that all the people would prosper in health and finances, and most importantly, that they would seek a deeper relationship with You! In the name of Yeshua, amen.
The Daily Brief
1. On the 17th of Tammuz, Israel angrily warns powers caving to Iran in nuke talks - Times of Israel
Jerusalem reacted furiously over reports Saturday that world powers were closing in on a long-sought pact that would see the lifting of sanctions in exchange for curbs on Tehran's nuclear program. Officials in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office accused the six world powers negotiating with Iran of caving to the Islamic Republic's demands, breaking even their own publicly stated "red-line" demands.
"With each passing day, the concessions from the powers to Iran are growing and growing," a statement from Netanyahu's office read. "Concessions over the inspections regime, concessions on how sanctions will be lifted, concessions on the amount of centrifuges, research and development of advanced centrifuges and more."
The officials said the concessions would lead to a situation which would "pave the way for Iran for an arsenal of atomic weapons within a decade if it keeps to the deal," and a bomb in a shorter time if Iran breaks its commitments. (Read more)
- Father God, as Jerusalem enters into her time of the "dire straits," we thank You that You have a plan, and that You have everything under Your control. Tonight we pray for the peace of Jerusalem, even as we see You move the nations in position according to Your will. Abba, when we don't understand, we simply put our trust in You, and watch and pray. Lord, we ask that You would move on the hearts of kings to cause these talks to collapse. We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen and amen.
- "Who should not fear you, King of the nations? This is your due. Among all the wise leaders of the nations and in all their kingdoms, there is no one like you." (Jer.10:7)
2. White House-Linked Dark Money Group Threatens Democrats on Eve of Nuke Deal - Washington Free Beacon
A prominent progressive organization linked to the White House and claiming to work for dozens of like-minded groups is threatening to attack any congressional Democrat who objects to a final nuclear deal with Iran, even before the terms of any such agreement have been finalized, according to an email obtained by the Free Beacon.
CREDO Action, the political arm of CREDO Mobile, declared this week in an secret email to journalists that it will punish congressional Democrats who fail to line up behind any deal sealed between the West and Iran. "Democrats in Congress are the only remaining obstacle to finalizing today's historic deal," Zack Malitz, campaign manager for CREDO, said in a statement emailed to reporters on July 2, along with a note that details of the email were not to be published until a deal was actually announced. "Every Democrat should go on the record right now in support of the deal, and pledge to defend it from attacks in Congress."
"Republicans will try to sabotage the deal and take us to war, but they can't do it without Democratic votes," Matlz wrote. "Progressives will hold accountable those Democrats who vote to help Republicans sabotage the deal and start a war." (Read more)
- Oh, Lord, how evil it is to silence those who would speak wisdom into this important deal with Iran and to threaten them if they vote against the administration's stand. We come against this wickedness in the name of Jesus and declare that free speech shall never be abridged, especially in Congress. We pray that Iran will never be able to make weapons out of nuclear material to threaten its neighbors, especially Israel.
- "The Lord bringeth the counsel of the heathen to nought: he maketh the devices of the peoples of none effect." (Psalms 33:10)
3. Congressional deadline could stop the clock on Iran nuke talks - Fox News
July 9 is the date U.S. lawmakers set for negotiators to complete a deal if they want Congress to review it within 30 days. If an agreement is submitted after July 9, Congress claims the right to take 60 days to review the text -- which could push a final congressional vote on the plan until September, leaving any agreement in limbo until then.
Bloomberg View recently reported that Colin Kahl, Vice President Biden's national security adviser, has called July 9 the "real political deadline." (Read more)
- Father, we intercede over this deal with Iran. Block any deal that would harm America in any way. Prevent us from being willing to compromise, just to push a deal through. In Jesus' name, amen.
- "Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth [it] not, to him it is sin." (James 4:17)
4. Hackers hacked: Malware firm's data leaked, ties with regimes exposed - rt.com
An Italian company that sells hacking tools to various governments was apparently itself the target of a hacker attack, resulting in its internal documents being leaked online and its deals with countries such as Sudan and Saudi Arabia exposed (Read more)
- Lord God, this seems to be a report of divine justice, because hacking -- no matter where or how it occurs -- is illegal. We ask that all perpetrators be brought to justice, and that this cyberwarfare across the planet be stopped. Lord, we know that this decree is too big for us to pursue, but it is not too big for You, Mighty One! Lord hear our cry we ask, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen and amen.
- "The Lord is my [b]rock and my fortress and my deliverer, My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, And I am saved from my enemies." (Psalm 18:1-3)
5. Pushback: Voters now look to redefine 'gay marriage' - WND
Resistance to Supreme Court's social agenda spreads
The U.S. Supreme Court's decision creating "same-sex marriage" has resulted in conflicts in local communities, lawsuits and the resignation of clerks who claim it violates their religious rights.
Now, among the strategies to protect First Amendment rights are two proposed voter initiatives in Colorado. One would preserve the traditional definition of marriage by recognizing it as a "religious expression." The other would require the state to establish a list of businesses willing to accommodate same-sex couples. (Read more)
- Lord God, we continue to hold this decision by the Supreme Court, rendering homosexual "marriage" legal in our land, before You to be judged. Abba God, we will not sit still until we see this abomination overturned, in one way or another. We thank You for the movements now arising within the states to reverse this curse and to honor marriage as You ordain it to be recognized. We ask for Your hand of protection to rest upon all who are now working to undo the damage that has been done, and we REPENT that this abomination has come to our land. We do this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen and amen.
- "I have kept the ways of the Lord,
And have not wickedly departed from my God.
For all His ordinances were before me,
And I did not put away His statutes from me."
6. Tom DeLay: Justice Dept. Wants to Legalize 12 'Perversions' - Newsmax
Former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay claims the Justice Department has drafted a memo that spells out a dozen "perversions," including bestiality and pedophilia, that it wants legalized.
"We've . . . found a secret memo coming out of the Justice Department. They're now going to go after 12 new perversions. Things like bestiality, polygamy, having sex with little boys and making that legal," DeLay said Tuesday on "The Steve Malzberg Show" on Newsmax TV. "Not only that, but they have a whole list of strategies to go after the churches, the pastors and any businesses that try to assert their religious liberty. This is coming and it's coming like a tidal wave."
When Steve Malzberg repeated to DeLay his assertions that the Justice Department seeks "to legitimatize or legalize" practices such as bestiality - defined as sex acts between humans and animals - DeLay responded: "That's correct, that's correct. They're coming down with 12 new perversions . . . LGBT [short for lesbian gay, bisexual and transgender] is only the beginning. They're going to start expanding it to the other perversions." (Read more)
- Lord God, have mercy! Now that this tsunami has been unleashed against us by the Supreme Court decision, the door is "legally" open to every perversion known to man. Father, we cry out today for our children; keep them safe somehow in this wicked society; help us to protect their innocent hearts, and keep them from evil predators that now lurk in our cities. Holy God, only You can save us now. We ask this in Jesus' name, amen and amen.
- "See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the LORD rises upon you and his glory appears over you." (Isaiah 60:2)
7. Man inspired by U.S. same-sex marriage ruling now challenging court to allow him to marry second wife - Vancouver Sun
A Montana man said Wednesday that he was inspired by last week's U.S. Supreme Court decision legalizing gay marriage to apply for a marriage license so that he can legally wed his second wife. Nathan Collier and his wives Victoria and Christine applied at the Yellowstone County Courthouse in Billings on Tuesday in an attempt to legitimize their polygamous marriage. Montana, like all 50 states, outlaws bigamy - holding multiple marriage licenses - but Collier said he plans to sue if the application is denied. "It's about marriage equality," Collier told The Associated Press Wednesday. "You can't have this without polygamy." County clerk officials initially denied Collier's application, then said they would consult with the county attorney's office before giving him a final answer, Collier said. (Read more)
- Father God, daily we are sinking into deeper and deeper levels of sin, darkness, wickedness and perversion in our land. Lord God, we do not understand the blindness of men like Nathan Collier who defy Your law and seek to "marry" more than one wife. Father God, we ask You, first, to forgive this man; he knows not what he does. Deliver him from his confusion, and cause our courts to do the right thing and to take action by obeying Your law only. We ask You in Jesus name, amen and amen.
- "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come." (2 Timothy 3:1)
8. SC Senate votes to take down flag; House OK still needed - AP
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - The South Carolina Senate voted Monday to remove the Confederate flag from a pole on the Statehouse grounds, though the proposal still needs approval from the state House and the governor.
The bill requires a two-thirds vote in each chamber; the Senate approved it 37-3. Gov. Nikki Haley has said she wants the flag to come down and will sign the bill. Monday's vote comes less than a week after the 15th anniversary of South Carolina taking the flag off the Capitol dome where it flew since the early 1960s and moving it to beside a monument honoring Confederate soldiers.
We now have the opportunity, the obligation to put the exclamation point on an extraordinary narrative of good and evil, of love and mercy that will take its place in the history books," said Sen. Tom Davis, R-Beaufort. (Read more)
- Father God, we as American citizens who love our nation as You designed it and who pray for its well being are now challenged by this controversy regarding the Confederate flag and its proper role in our society today. We ask for the wisdom of Solomon to be with our governing authorities, as well as each of our citizens, as step by step, we seek to know what to do with this historic flag. We thank You that, as we ask for wisdom, You do grant it.
Lord we come against the spirit that would seek to divide our country along racial lines and would use this flag as a flashpoint for its own wicked agenda. We ask this in Jesus' name, amen and amen.
- "But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and [a]without reproach, and it will be given to him." (James 1:5)
9. Officials: US jets scramble to intercept Russian bombers off California, Alaska coasts on July 4 - Fox News
While the United States celebrated Independence Day, two pairs of Russian bombers flew off the coast of California and Alaska -- forcing the Air Force to scramble fighter jets to intercept both flights, two senior defense officials tell Fox News.
The first incident occurred at 10:30 a.m. ET on July 4 off the coast of Alaska, Fox News is told. Two U.S. Air Force F-22 jets were scrambled from their base in Alaska to intercept two Tupolev Tu-95 long-range strategic bombers, capable of carrying nuclear weapons. The second incident occurred at 11:00 a.m. ET also on July 4, off the central coast of California. Two F-15s from an undisclosed location were scrambled to intercept another pair of Tu-95 Bear bombers.
A spokesman for NORAD would not confirm if either pair of bombers was armed. At no time did either pair of bombers enter U.S. airspace, 12 nautical miles off the coast, according to one defense official. Neither official would reveal just how close the bombers came to U.S. shores. (Read more)
- Father, reveal the purpose of this incident by the Russians on July 4th. There seems to be more to this than is being reported. Protect our airspace, in Jesus Name.
- "No weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and this is their vindication from me," declares the LORD. (Isaiah 54:17)
The Daily Jot
Monday, July 6, 2015
A prophetic people can prevail
I spent this past weekend in the place of my roots, Northeastern Ohio. From Thursday through Sunday night, there were Fourth of July celebrations. Young kids dressed in red, white and blue, stars and stripes swimming trunks, teens wearing USA baseball caps, young men and women in patriotic clothing, and of course us older folks with our own brand of patriotism. There is something good about patriotism, about nationalism for America. Throughout the weekend, in most every conversation with folks young and old alike, there were conversations about God, Country and Family. I say this because there is so much bad news about America, but there really is so much good about it within the grass roots.
My son, my wife, one of his friends from college, and I sat around a fire talking about the nation and how it has strayed from God. We talked about Jesus Christ and the necessity of having Him at the center of our lives. We talked about how the Church has given up so much ground to the government and is not effective in teaching the Word of God or holding people accountable to what is right; how it has become a country club in many cases looking inward with self-indulgence and extra-biblical teachings. We talked about consequences of bad leadership and how that contrasts with the judgment of God. We discussed the deep challenges faced by the current generation--not from the perspective of fear, but of hope.
If a boat ride around Portage Lakes is any indicator, there were many other conversations taking place about the condition of our country and its citizens. America is still alive, it's not on life support. There is still a spirit of '76, that revolutionary spirit that defined freedom and equality, fomented worldwide evangelism, and established a beacon of hope for those oppressed around the world. Hope. That's part of what it is about. We have to have hope that we can turn all this around. And we have to act. Hebrews 11:1 says, "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." If we have hope, the substance of that is faith. It starts with each of us individually. We have to have faith.
There us much written about the coming persecution and the failing of America. While things look bleak, we need to focus on the good within us and around us. We need to start today. If 12 men did what was claimed in Acts 17:6, what can we do? With our faith, the substance of our hope, can we too, turn the world upside down? Yes we can. Believe the good report. Be as Christ said in his Sermon on the Mount "You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid.Neither do men light a lamp, and put it under a bushel, but on a lamp stand; and it gives light unto all that are in the house.Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven."
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Baker Charged $135,000
Baker Charged $135,000 in Gay Wedding Cake Flap: "Government is Messing With the Wrong Christian"
Samaritan's Purse Establishes Relief Fund for Couple
For details, go here.
A gag order has also been issued to the Kleins by Oregon Labor Commissioner Brad Avakian. It reads: The Commissioner of the Bureau of Labor and Industries hereby orders [Aaron and Melissa Klein] to cease and desist from publishing, circulating, issuing or displaying, or causing to be published... any communication to the effect that any of the accommodations... will be refused, withheld from or denied to, or that any discrimination be made against, any person on account of their sexual orientation."
(Portland, OR)-The state of Oregon has decided that the Christian owners of a bakery would be forced to pay $135,000 to a lesbian couple after refusing to bake a cake for their wedding more than two years ago. The case has placed a spotlight on balancing religious and personal freedom along with the government's role in preventing discrimination.
According to a report from KATU and the Associated Press, Oregon's Bureau of Labor and Industries ruled on Thursday that bakery owners Aaron and Melissa Klein would have to pay a combined $135,000 for emotional damages to the victims, Rachel and Laurel Bowman-Cryer. A judge found the business, Sweet Cakes by Melissa, guilty of unlawful discrimination against a same-sex couple in its refusal to bake a cake for their wedding.
"This case is not about a wedding cake or a marriage," the state agency's order stated. "It is about a business' refusal to serve someone because of their sexual orientation. Under Oregon law, that is illegal." (Source: Breaking Christian News) Read more
Click Here for a video with Melissa and Aaron Klein explaining how they've had to close their shop and more.
- Father, we ask that You protect these good people, and meet their needs far beyond what may have happened, had their bakery been allowed to remain open. Let their story be a witness and a testimony to all who will behold Your glory shining through them. In Jesus' name, amen and amen.
- "Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us; And confirm for us the work of our hands; Yes, confirm the work of our hands." (Psalm 90:17) -
Our Weekly Bible Study
Our Weekly Bible Study:
Week of Sunday, July 5 - Saturday, July 11, 2015
> > > To read the "One Year Bible" weekly letter, go here.
> > > To read the Shabbat Torah readings, go here.
Christian Prayers for Ramadan
Christian Prayers for Ramadan
Kanpur: 'Manchester of the East'
Located on the banks of the Ganges River, Kanpur is one of north India's major industrial and educational centres. With a population around four million, Kanpur is the largest city in the state of Uttar Pradesh. Hinduism is the most prominent religion, but around 20 per cent of the population is Muslim, most of whom are poor and illiterate. Communal violence and riots are common, and many Muslims seem to have nothing to lose except their lives.
Kanpur has a long history of violence. It has been the scene of some of India's most memorable struggles for freedom and clashes between people of different politics, cultures and religions. The First War of Independence, also called the Indian Sepoy Mutiny of 1857, was the first widespread uprising against the British East India Company. Around 300 British were killed at a place now called Massacre Ghat, followed by another massacre at Bibighar, where around 120 British women and children were dismembered and thrown into a dry well - in reaction, some historians believe, to news of violence by the East India Company rescue force coming from Allahabad.
Communal riots and criminal gangs have stained Kanpur's past. The famous Kanpur Mosque incident in 1913 became the first symbol of Indian national Muslim politics. The British wanted to demolish/ move the mosque washing facilities to construct a road. This was seen as a threat to Islam, so committees were formed and riots followed.
In 1931, independence movement activist Ganesh Shankar Vidyarthi (founder and editor of the revolutionary Hindi newspaper, Pratap, and leader of the Indian National Congress) died in Muslim-Hindu riots that killed an estimated 166 and injured 480. In 1992, Kala Bacha ("black child"), a known criminal allied to the BJP political party, was active in riots in Kanpur, including those following the demolition of Babri Masjid mosque in Ayodhya (200km from Kanpur). In 2001, the demolition of the Buddha statues of Bamiyan in Afghanistan and the subsequent burning of the Qu'ran in Delhi by Hindus also triggered riots in Kanpur involving members of the Students Islamic Movement of India.
How can we pray?
God wants to restore peace to Kanpur Pray for reconciliation between religious groups.
Pray that God's love and compassion would be displayed through the few Christians who live in Kanpur and that His Body will be revived and filled with the love of God.
Pray that God would send more workers to Kanpur to bring the message of the Prince of Peace.
A Verse to Decree
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."
Our Grandmothers' Songs
Songs Our Grandmothers Sang:
FAIREST LORD JESUS (Part Two)
"Who is this . . . fair as the moon, bright as the sun, majestic as the stars?" Song of Solomon 6:10)
Following yesterday's version . . .
Seiss' original translation is somewhat different; he titled it "Beautiful Savior." It is found under this name in many Lutheran hymnals.
Beautiful Savior, King of Creation
Son of God and Son of Man!
Truly I'd love Thee, truly I'd serve Thee,
Light of my soul, my joy, my crown.
Fair are the meadows, Fair are the woodlands,
Robed in the flowers of blooming spring;
Jesus is fairer, Jesus is purer,
He makes our sorrowing spirit sing.
Fair is the sunshine, Fair is the moonlight,
Bright the sparkling stars on high;
Jesus shines brighter, Jesus shines purer
Than all the angels in the sky.
Beautiful Savior, Lord of the nations,
Son of God and Son of Man!
Glory and honor, Praise, adoration
Now and forevermore be Thine!
Please go here.
About the Author:
Words: Joseph A. Seiss, 1873. Music: Richard S. Willis, 1850.
Signs and Wonders
Strange Animal Behavior Around the World Reminiscent of the Ten Plagues - Breaking Israel News
All over the world, and especially in the US, unusual animal behaviors are causing some to ponder whether the world is witnessing a reprise of the Biblical Ten Plagues.
On Sakhalin Island in the far eastern side of Russia, remains of an unidentified sea creature, twice the size of a human, washed ashore a few days ago. The marine animal has a furry tail and a long, bird-like beak, but does not resemble any known creature.
Maine Police closed Wells Beach over the weekend after multiple witnesses spotted a six-foot long shark a mile off the coast. Shark sightings are uncommon in the summer months. Wells Police were quoted in the Boston Globe saying "These sightings are not infrequent; however, this sighting is abnormal given the time of year and proximity to the beach."
Although the shark in Maine turned out to be a basking shark and not a Great White as was first feared, North Carolina is experiencing a rash of shark attacks. In mid-June, two teens were badly injured, including a 13 year-old girl who lost part of her arm. Four additional shark attacks occurred in North Carolina within a two week period.
A 20-foot long basking shark was caught in southwestern Australia last week. This species, the same one spotted in Maine, hasn't been seen in the region in 80 years. The last one was caught in the 1930s.
In Southern California, masses of red tuna crabs washed ashore, carpeting the beaches with red. Each red tuna crab is no more than 3 inches long, but when their carcasses are piled on top of one another, they resemble a thick red carpet. (Read more)
BREAKING! Today, Fox News is reporting that a Sturgeon jumps on boat, kills girl, 5, and injures two others. (Read more)
"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea." (Luke 21:25)
The Good News Corner
Brazilian Evangelical Christians Create Facegloria, a Violence and Pornography-Free Version of Facebook; 100K People Sign Up in First Month
A group of Brazilian evangelical Christians has seen its Facegloria social networking website attract 100,000 users in its first month, offering a "morally better" version of Facebook that is centered on God and free from violence and pornography.
"On Facebook you see a lot of violence and pornography. That's why we thought of creating a network where we could talk about God, love and to spread His word," one of the founders, web designer Atilla Barros, told AFP in an interview. "We want to be morally and technically better than Facebook. We want all Brazilian Evangelicals to shift to Facegloria," Barros added.
While Facegloria has similar functions to Facebook, it also has some faith-inspired changes, such as offering an "Amen" button instead of "Like." Cursing is not allowed on the website, which has a list of close to 600 banned words. It also prohibits any kind of violent or erotic content, and does not allow photos or videos depicting same-sex activity.
Barros, who envisioned the website three years ago alongside three other Christian colleagues while working at the mayor's office in Ferraz de Vasconcelos, said he's hoping Facegloria will be a big hit. "In two years we hope to get to 10 million users in Brazil. In a month we have had 100,000 and in two we are expecting a big increase thanks to a mobile phone app," he said. (Christian Post) Read more
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
"Mighty to Save" - Cathy Burton
Worship Our Lord, for He is worthy!
Two Daily Conference Calls
TO PRAY IN THE NIGHT:
Please note that the national prayer call continues every night with different leaders from different intercession ministries each night.
These prayer calls will be held nightly at 9PM EST. Please join us by calling 1-857-232-0156; access 377054. Please sign on 15 minutes early so we can be ready to pray at 9PM.
This call sponsored by Breaker of Dawn has been going on since Sept 9, 2014 and every night it is a Psalm 133 call with different ministries joining together and most every night there are intercessors that represent our entire nation.
For details, go here.
TO PRAY IN THE DAY:
A second conference call is now available daily (except on Sundays) at 11:30 a.m. EST. Sponsored by the Salt & Light Council, the focus of the daily "Repentance and Restoration" calls is to pray for all in authority.
You are cordially invited to join these calls by dialing 712-432-1699/ Access code 338083#
To learn more, please visit their website at:
> > > Day and night, in these perilous times, let's join forces on these calls to cry out unto God for His mercy to be shown to America and to Israel. Thank you!