Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
Tuesday, July 21, 2015
"The Lord has established His throne in heaven, and His sovereignty rules over all." (Psalm 103:19)
The Daily Brief will not be published this Friday, July 24.
" . . . His sovereignty rules over all." (Psalm 103:19b)
The Middle East in Focus
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you." (Isaiah 54:10)
1. Herzog shuts door on unity coalition - 'Time to send Netanyahu H-O-M-E!' - Jerusalem Post
Zionist Union leader Isaac Herzog ended speculation that he could be en route to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government Sunday when he told a Labor convention in Jaffa that his dream was to become prime minister and not any other post.
The speculation began following a meeting with Netanyahu in which Herzog committed himself to aiding the prime minister's effort to persuade Congress against the Iranian nuclear deal. It continued with reports that President Reuven Rivlin was helping mediate between Likud and the Zionist Union in attempts to form a unity government. (Read More)
2. Ariel blasts PM for settlement construction freeze - Jerusalem Post
Agriculture Minister and chairman of the Tekuma-National Union Party Uri Ariel denounced what he said was a de facto construction freeze in the West Bank and Jerusalem, as well as the planned destruction of housing units in Beit El by the end of July.
The council of the National Union, a constituent of the Bayit Yehudi faction, which convened on Sunday night in Beit El, instructed its MKs, Ariel and MK Bezalel Smotrich, to implement "coalition sanctions" against the government until it changed these policies, which could include actions such as failing to be present for important votes in the Knesset. (Read More)
3. Jewish Home MKs threaten sanctions over reported settlement freeze - Times of Israel
Jewish Home Knesset members and settlement leaders sharply criticized Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over reports of a West Bank construction freeze, threatening in a letter to Likud members to impose sanctions on the government.
The letter was the result of an emergency meeting on Sunday, convened in response to claims that the PM had decided to freeze settlement development in the West Bank, as well as the Supreme Court's decision to demolish buildings in the section of the settlement of Beit El known as the Dreinoff neighborhood - named after contractor Meir Dreinoff. (Read More)
4. Israel nabs cell behind West Bank terror killing - Times of Israel
Four members of a seven-strong Hamas cell behind a deadly terror attack in the West Bank last month have been detained by Israel, the Shin Bet security service said Sunday. Two others are being held by the Palestinian Authority.
Malachy Rosenfeld was killed, and three others were wounded, when gunmen opened fire on their car near the West Bank settlement of Shvut Rachel, north of Ramallah, as they returned from a basketball game.
The cell also carried out an attack on an ambulance close to the settlement of Beit El on June 27, in which no one was wounded; they had attempted to carry out a separate attack on June 6. (Read More)
5. 'Iran nuclear deal opens window for Israel to join new Mideast order' - Jerusalem Post
The former head of Israel's vaunted intelligence agency Mossad said on Sunday that the nuclear deal struck between Iran and Western powers offers Jerusalem an opening to join "a new Middle Eastern order."
Shabtai Shavit, who served as Mossad director from 1989 to 1996, told US radio broadcaster Aaron Klein that Israel now has even more impetus to make common cause with Sunni Arab countries who are nervous over the West's overtures toward their common nemesis - Iran.
"I believe that in the present time there is a window of opportunity for Israel in order to try and pursue a new order in the Middle East," Shavit said. (Read More)
6. 'Increased military aid for Israel is a contradiction' - Jerusalem Post
Interior Minister and Vice Premier Silvan Shalom said on Monday that easing sanctions on Iran would be premature and result in continued confrontation with the international community.
"We really believe that sanctions usually work," Shalom told reporters in Jerusalem.
"Sanctions brought Gaddafi to give up, brought South Africa to give up and brought Iran almost to give up, but unfortunately [in Iran's case] it didn't last as long as it should."(Read More)
The Daily Brief
1. Greek debt crisis: Banks reopen amid tax rise - BBC
Greek banks are reopening after being closed for three weeks because of the deadlock over the country's debt, as the government initiates repayment of its loans to the ECB and IMF. Athens reached a cash-for-reforms deal aimed at avoiding a debt default and an exit from the eurozone. But many restrictions remain and Greeks also face price rises with an increase in Value Added Tax (VAT).
An architect told the BBC that the banks re-opening will make only a small difference to his ability to operate. "The key challenge is that we cannot pay our suppliers, which means that we will eventually run out of products to sell," Vassilis Masselos told the BBC World Service's Newsday programme. (Read more)
- Father, we thank you for answers to prayer and for providing a smooth transition for Greece in fulfilling its obligations that it has assumed. We ask for humility and patience among the Greek people as these changes assuredly bring and require adjustments from their way of life to this point. Father, we ask they this would even bring an improvement among the Greeks in turning away from debt, and to trust in You, their Provider, anew.
- "The Greeks seek after wisdom." (1 Corinthians 1:22)
2. France's Hollande Proposes Creation of Euro-Zone Government - Bloomberg
French President Francois Hollande said that the 19 countries using the euro need their own government complete with a budget and parliament to cooperate better and overcome the Greek crisis. Circumstances are leading us to accelerate," Hollande said in an opinion piece published by the Journal du Dimanche on Sunday. "What threatens us is not too much Europe, but a lack of it."
While the euro zone has a common currency, fiscal and economic policies remain mostly in the hands of each member state. European Central Bank President Mario Draghi made a plea this week for deeper cooperation between the euro members after political squabbles over Greece almost led to a rupture in the single currency.
Countries in favor of more integration should move ahead, forming an "avant-garde," Hollande said. "Europe has let its institutions weaken and the 28 European Union member countries are struggling to agree to move ahead," Hollande said on Sunday in a text which was also a homage to his mentor Jacques Delors, a former European Commission President who proposed similar ideas. (Read more)
- Father, we see some of the more dramatic descriptions of the end times in unifying world government coming together before our very eyes. We know from your Word, that "when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." Father, may we have no part in any of the great evil still to come to pass, and may we stand strong in you to the end, even as those who "loved not their lives unto the death." Father, even as you make each of us to stand, may you even yet for a little while longer make each nation in Europe stand for You, not ceding sovereignty over to a centralized government. We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
- "Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters." (Revelation 14:7)
3. Russia's Putin orders formation of new military reserve force - Yahoo.com
Russian President Vladimir Putin has ordered the creation of a new reserve armed force as part of steps to improve training and military readiness at a time of international tensions with the West over Ukraine. The new reserve force has been discussed for several years and was first ordered by Putin in 2012 shortly after his re-election as President. The latest decree was published late on Friday. It will be distinct from Russia's existing military reserves because the part-time personnel will be paid a monthly sum and train regularly. (Read more)
- Father, Russia has been perplexing of late, and that has become truer as America has shifted further away from you. On the one hand they stand for moral values of family and against homosexuality, and on the other they have been no friend of Israel. Russia is also not that far removed from decades of a truly evil empire that demonstrated the evil in the hearts of men in ways greater than all the centuries that came before it. Father, we ask you to ground anew the people and leaders of Russia in your Word and in your purposes for this nation. We ask that they would find their strength in You and that You would make their strength for your glory.
- "Some Gadites joined David at the stronghold in the wilderness, mighty men of valor, men trained for battle, who could handle shield and spear, whose faces were like the faces of lions, and were as swift as gazelles on the mountains." (1 Chronicles 12:8)
4. Nuclear deal will see powers 'help Iran protect facilities' - Israel Hayom
One of the clauses in the nuclear deal reached between world powers and Iran last week guarantees that the world powers will assist Iran in thwarting attempts to undermine its nuclear program, Israel Hayom learned Sunday.
Article 10 of the deal, included in a section titled "Reactors, Fuels, Facilities, and Processes," stipulates that world powers and Iran will foster "cooperation through training and workshops to strengthen Iran's ability to protect against, and respond to, nuclear security threats, including sabotage, as well as to enable effective and sustainable nuclear security and physical protection systems."
Israeli officials have warned time and again against the loopholes in the deal, and National Security Council officials scrutinizing the agreement said the clause, which appears on Page 142 of the agreement, is very disturbing, as it suggests there is an international commitment to block any attempt to compromise Iran's nuclear facilities over the next decade. (Read more)
- Father God, this arrangement is just backward of what it should be! We pray that You, Yourself, would keep a watch on this terrorist nation that encourages "Death to America" and "Death to Israel." We pray that in spite of all the help that our country, and indeed the world, has given them that they will never, ever, be able to develop weapons of mass destruction. We must rely on You, Dear Lord, as the world has scales on their eyes and cannot, or will not see the truth.
- "Give us aid against the enemy, for human help is worthless." (Psalms 60:11)
5. Kenyans Are Telling Obama Not to Discuss LGBT Rights During His Visit to Nairobi Later This Week - BuzzFee
Kenyans have been using the hashtag #KenyansMessageToObama to advise the U.S. president against any attempt to challenge LGBT rights in the country. The hashtag has gained traction among the religious right in Kenya ahead of Obama's visit next month. [i.e. this week].
The comments come after Kenyan House Majority Leader Aden Duale criticized the US's legalization of same-sex marriage last month, citing the need to "avoid the destruction of our society at the behest of negative foreign influences." In Kenya, same-sex sexual acts are still a punishable crime, with those found guilty facing up to 14 years jail time. There have also been anti-gay rallies in anticipation of Obama's arrival.
The US leader's trip to his father's native land will coincide with the 2015 Global Entrepreneurship Summit, a meeting for companies, governments, and business leaders.(Read more)
- Lord God, we stand in the gap and we ask You to forgive Barack Hussein Obama for attempting to force the LGPT agenda upon other sovereign nations. We know that the administration has threatened to cut off our foreign aid to the nations that refuse to bow to this bullying tactic.
Father, we thank You for the nation of Kenya, that stands as a beacon of hope and truth on the continent of Africa, alongside other nations on that land who also uphold Your law in all things. Lord, we ask You to bring a special blessing to Kenya this week, even as the leaders in the global business community convene in Nairobi. We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen and amen.
- "But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children- with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts." (Psalm 103:17,18)
6. San Francisco victim's father to testify before Senate - The Hill
The father of a young woman allegedly killed at the hands of an illegal immigrant will visit Capitol Hill this week to discuss President Obama's immigration policies. Jim Steinle, the father of Kathryn Steinle, will testify Tuesday before the Senate Judiciary Committee, along with family members of other victims of crimes committed by people in the United States illegally.
Scheduled by committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), the hearing aims to examine the effect on public safety of the administration's "misdirected immigration enforcement policies," according to a notice from Grassley's office. (Read more)
- Lord God, we ask that the facts that are being revealed in this hearing today be used to help Congress craft a law to prevent this crime from ever happening again. Use the voice of Jim Steinle as a trumpet across the land, to just say "no" to this terrible policy of establishing "sanctuary cities" in our nation, protecting these illegal immigration criminals from prosecution. We ask this in Your name, amen and amen.
- "Let God arise, let his enemies be scattered: let them also that hate him flee before him." (Psalm 68:1)
7. Obama admin looks to ban some Social Security recipients from owning guns - Fox News
The Obama administration wants to keep people collecting Social Security benefits from owning guns if it is determined they are unable to manage their own affairs, the Los Angeles Times reported. The push, which could potentially affect millions whose monthly disability payments are handled by others, is intended to bring the Social Security Administration in line with laws that prevent gun sales to felons, drug addicts, immigrants in the United States illegally, and others, according to the paper.
The language of federal gun laws restricts ownership to people who are unable to manage their own affairs due to "marked subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease" - which could potentially affect a large group within Social Security, the LA Times reported.
If Social Security, which has never taken part in the background check system, uses the same standard as the Department of Veterans Affairs - which is the idea floated - then millions of beneficiaries could be affected, with about 4.2 million adults receiving monthly benefits that are managed by "representative payees." (Read more)
- Father, we know that any command in your Word implies a right to obey that command, and that inalienable right supersedes any authority of civil government. Father, we also know that your purposes for civil government are for it to punish evil and praise good. As our civil government extends itself beyond the bounds in one area, it is no surprise that it would exceed its bounds in another.
Father, we ask that you would restrain the power of the U.S. federal government to only your purposes for it. Father, we ask that your purposes of government, and the restraint of it to only those purposes, would have favor with the American people. We ask this in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, amen.
- "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
8. Senate Judiciary Committee Takes Action on Planned Parenthood Report - Christian Coalition of America
Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Grassley Makes Inquiries to Attorney General, Planned Parenthood After Video Surfaces in Media Reports
Senator Chuck Grassley, Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, is making inquiries to Planned Parenthood and the Justice Department following media reports of a video describing in detail Planned Parenthood's role in the harvesting of fetal tissue.
The video shows Planned Parenthood's Senior Director for Medical Services, Deborah Nucatola, describing the organization's role in the procurement of fetal tissue . . . (Read more)
- Thank You, Precious Lord, that this Senate committee is investigating this highly disturbing video. We pray they will be successful in uncovering the truth about this hideous practice and that all such activity will be stopped. We decree and declare that the truth shall indeed come out and that this instrument of death called Planned Parenthood will be defunded of taxpayer money and forced to shut down. Forgive us, Lord, for even tolerating the organization in our midst. We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
- "They shed innocent blood, the blood of their sons and daughters. By sacrificing they to the gods of Canaan, they polluted the land with murder." (Psalms 106:38)
9. Obama orders flags lowered to honor Tennessee victims, after criticism - Fox News
President Obama has ordered that flags be lowered to half-staff at the White House and federal buildings across the country to honor the victims of last week's shooting rampage in Chattanooga, Tenn., after facing pressure from lawmakers and others.
In a proclamation issued early Tuesday afternoon, Obama said of the Chattanooga victims, "We honor their service. We offer our gratitude to the police officers and first responders who stopped the rampage and saved lives. We draw strength from yet another American community that has come together with an unmistakable message to those who would try and do us harm: We do not give in to fear. You cannot divide us. And you will not change our way of life."
He ordered flags flown at half-staff at the White House and "all public buildings and grounds," as well as over military posts and naval stations and vessels -- until July 25. Flags will be flown at half-staff at U.S. embassies and other overseas diplomatic offices.
The decision comes after congressional leaders ordered flags at the U.S. Capitol lowered to half-staff earlier in the day -- that decision fueled questions over why the White House hadn't yet done the same. (Read more)
- Father, we thank you that, finally, the voice of the people has been heard over this controversy. We ask You to forgive this president for his delay in issuing this order, and we thank You that, as the nation sees those flags flying at half mast this week, we will all stop and give thanks for these lives that were lost. In Jesus' name, amen and amen.
- "Give to everyone what you owe them . . . if honor, then honor." (Romans 13:7)
10. Rev. Graham: 'We Are Under Attack . . . Stop All Immigration of Muslims to the U.S.' - CNSNews.com
Commenting on the five U.S. military service members killed by Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez last week in Chattanooga, Tenn., Rev. Franklin Graham said we need to face up to the fact that "we are under attack by Muslims at home and abroad," and advised that America "should stop all immigration of Muslims" into this country until the threat from radical Islam ends.
"Four innocent Marines (United States Marine Corps) killed and three others wounded in #Chattanooga yesterday [July 16] including a policeman and another Marine -- all by a radical Muslim whose family was allowed to immigrate to this country from Kuwait," said Rev. Graham in a July 17 post on Facebook. "We are under attack by Muslims at home and abroad," he said. "We should stop all immigration of Muslims to the U.S. until this threat with Islam has been settled."
"Every Muslim that comes into this country has the potential to be radicalized -- and they do their killing to honor their religion and Muhammad," said the reverend, who is the president of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, and also runs the international Christian relief group Samaritan's Purse. (Read more)
- Thank You , Father, for a wise man of great influence speaking out what should be obvious to all in this country. We ask You to protect Reverend Franklin Graham from any harm because of his truthful statements and we ask for his words to have strength, power, and influence to change policies in our country. We look to You, Our Lord, to preserve Your people and this country in the midst of those who hate us.
- "Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You preserve my life. You stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes; with your right hand you save me." (Psalms 138:7)
The Daily Jot
White House: Iran has material for 10 nukes
In his Saturday address, the "president" made his case to the American people about the great benefits of the Iranian nuclear deal. He revealed that Iran had enough nuclear material presently to make up to 10 nuclear weapons. He said the Iranians also have two key nuclear facilities that they will have to "repurpose" "so they can't produce materials that could be used for a nuclear weapon." He further said, "With this deal, we will have unprecedented 24/7 monitoring of Iran's key nuclear facilities. With this deal, international inspectors will have access to Iran's entire nuclear supply chain." To those who have followed this decade-old saga, not much has changed, except sanctions are lifted, pressure is off Iran.
Neither Americans nor Israelis will have any access to inspect the Iranian nuclear sites. These are the two countries Iran continuously says that it wants destroyed. Notwithstanding, Iran has denied since the early 2000s that it was developing nuclear weapons. The United Nations, which was charged with inspecting the Iranian nuclear program under the guidance of Mohamed El Baradei, failed miserably. Otherwise, how could have Iran obtained and processed enough material to produce 10 nuclear bombs at two key nuclear facilities that didn't exist? The Iranians accomplished this feat while constantly denying they were building nuclear bombs and under the financial duress of worldwide sanctions.
If the Iranians had enough material to build 10 nuclear bombs after over a decade of playing cat and mouse with UN inspectors and the same diplomats that negotiated this deal (US, France, Germany, Russia, and China), what makes anyone believe that this nuclear program will be stopped now? The only thing that has changed is Iran will now have considerable financial windfall to finish the job because sanctions will have been ended and bonus money--your tax dollars--will line the pockets of the terrorist-sponsoring state. A new agreement does not change the heart's intent when the old agreement was never honored in the first place.
The "president," however, calls critics of the deal liars, saying concerns are "overheated and often dishonest," and "patently false." The "president's" claims are based on political rhetoric, not wisdom. Iran will continue developing its nuclear program. Nuclear facilities should have been destroyed, not "repurposed." And the "president" has made the world a much more dangerous place by negotiating with a terrorist-sponsoring state whose subjects danced in the streets shouting "death to Israel; death to America" after the deal was signed. Psalm 10:7 says of the wicked, "His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud; under his tongue is mischief and vanity." Congress has 60 days to reverse this bad deal. But the march of prophecy continues.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Last Chance Tomorrow for Asia Bibi
Court date set for Asia Bibi appeal in Pakistan
The first hearing in Pakistan's Supreme Court on the appeal of Asia Bibi's conviction for blasphemy and resulting death sentence will be held next Wednesday, July 22, at 9 a.m. in Lahore.
Please pray fervently for Asia and her family, for her attorney, and for the three judges who will hear the case. May God grant justice for Asia Bibi, and may His name be glorified in this process.
The Voice of the Martyrs USA, Open Doors USA, and International Christian Concern have not only been following the situation since her arrest six years ago, but are also actively advocating her release and assisting in other ways as Asia's case slowly makes its way through the court system.
She remains on death row despite multiple calls for her release from the highest levels. According to her lawyer, her legal team is ready to fully present her case before Pakistan's Supreme Court, but the court is busy.
At the same time, Asia's case created a strong reaction among the extremists in Pakistan. Family members went public with a $5,000 bounty that was put out by fundamentalist clerics out to kill her.
"The international community is already convinced that Asia is a typical case of abuse of the Blasphemy Law and should be released," an Open Doors spokesperson has said. "We need to pray for influential people in this country that they will be able to release Asia, and at the same time, prevent havoc and targeted attacks."
She remains at Multan jail. Her husband, Ashiq, told VOM workers, "Whenever I go visit, she requests prayer from the brothers and sisters who are helping her." Asia Bibi received a death sentence after being convicted of blasphemy in connection with an argument at work in 2009.
Learn more about Asia Bibi's story by going here.
- Lord God, at this last minute hour, we join our prayers with those of the thousands of saints who have been crying out for mercy and for justice for the life of Asia Bibi before the high court of Pakistan. We go to the High Court of Heaven today, and we lay this petition before Your Throne of Grace on behalf of this dear sister in the Lord. Thank You, Father, for hearing our prayers, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, amen and amen.
- "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."
Our Grandmothers' Songs
Songs Our Grandmothers Sang:
BRINGING IN THE SHEAVES
" "He who goes out weeping, carrying seed to sow, will return with songs of joy, carrying sheaves with him." (Psalm 126:6)
Sowing in the morning, sowing seeds of kindness,
Sowing in the noontide and the dewy eve;
Waiting for the harvest, and the time of reaping,
We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves.
Bringing in the sheaves, bringing in the sheaves,
We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves,
Bringing in the sheaves, bringing in the sheaves,
We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves,
(To see all the lyrics, go here.)
Please go here.
About the Author:
Words: Knowles Shaw, 1874.
Music: George A. Minor, 1880
Signs and Wonders
JAPAN: Typhoon Nangka Recap: 29 Inches of Rain Reported
More than 2 feet of rain were reported in parts of Kôchi, Wakayama, Nara and Mie prefectures in the central part of the country. Many rivers went out of their banks as a result. Heavy rains came well in advance of landfall as well, bringing up to 10 inches of rain to northern parts of the Greater Tokyo area. (Weather.com)
"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea." (Luke 21:25)
The Good News Corner
"A Glorious Day":
70 Years After WWII, Japan's Mitsubishi Apologizes to US POW's
(Los Angeles, CA)-Numerous news outlets have reported a rare apology from top level Japanese executives to American POWs for being forced into "harsh, severe" labor in Mitsubishi mines and industrial plants during WWII.
The apology was made during a ceremony at the Simon Wiesenthal Center's Museum of Tolerance in Los Angeles, dedicated to the rights of Holocaust survivors.
Californian James Murphy is one such vet. "This is a glorious day," he said, reportedly calling the apology sincere, humble and revealing. "For 70 years, we wanted this."
Yukio Okamoto, an outside board member for Mitsubishi, was quoted by the AP as saying, "I entered the room with a heavy heart, seeking forgiveness."
Source: Breaking Christian News
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
"You Are My Healer" - Kari Jobe
Two Daily Conference Calls
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners encourages you to participate, any day of the week, on these calls which are each ongoing, day and night! To learn more about how you can join these calls, please go here.