Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief
Wednesday, January 8, 2014
"I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he
delivered me from all my fears." (Psalm 34:4)
The Daily Brief
1. Robert Gates, former defense secretary, offers harsh critique of Obama's leadership in 'Duty' - Washington Post
In a new memoir, former defense secretary Robert Gates unleashes harsh judgments about President Obama's leadership and his commitment to the Afghanistan war, writing that by early 2010 he had concluded the president "doesn't believe in his own strategy, and doesn't consider the war to be his. For him, it's all about getting out." (Read more)
- As more and more facts continue to be revealed about the inner workings of the Oval Office, and as hidden schemes unravel, ask our Lord to visit this president with His grace and His mercy. May Mr. Obama be delivered from a life of deception to find the Truth of our Gospel: that the God who created him, loves him, and died on the Cross for his sins. Amen.
- "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." (Luke 23:34)
"The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance." (2 Peter 3:9)
2. Fifty US senators line up behind new Iran sanctions bill - Jerusalem Post
Support among Senate members for a new sanctions bill against Iran has doubled since the measure was introduced last month. (Read more)
- Lord God, You have dealt with Iran for a long time regarding their unlawful nuclear activities by sending many to warn them of their evil ways and from their evil doings, but they have not listened. So these sanctions are as a result of their unlawful deeds. Thank You, God, for Your intervention. In Jesus' Name we pray.
- "Yet you have not hearkened unto me, says the Lord; that you might provoke Me to anger with the works of your hands to your own hurt." (Jeremiah 25:7)
3. White House offers 'grand bargain' on tax cuts and infrastructure - NBC News
Gene Sperling, the director of President Barack Obama's National Economic Council, said Sunday that Obama is offering congressional Republicans "a grand bargain on jobs. He has said he would be willing to do corporate tax reform that lowers rates to 28 percent, simplifies taxes for small businesses, but do it together with a major infrastructure investment." (Read more)
- Father God, we trust You to bring about these reforms, and the power be removed out of the hands of man and accomplished by the hand of God. In Jesus' Name we pray.
- "Arise for our help, and redeem us for Your mercies' sake, O God." (Psalm 44:26)
4. Judge rules Chicago gun ban is unconstitutional - CNN
A federal judge ruled Monday that Chicago's ban on virtually all sales and transfers of firearms is unconstitutional. (Read more)
- Father, we thank You that this federal judge voted with godly wisdom. Bless him and protect him. In Jesus' Name.
- "He that overcomes shall inherit all things; and I will be His God, and he shall be My son." (Revelation 21:7)
5. Gun sales hit new record, ammo boom to follow - Washington Times
Gun records checks, fueled by a post-Newtown boom of gun sales, hit a new high in 2013, and industry analysts expect ammunition to be the big seller this year as consumers catch up to all of those firearms purchases. (Read more)
- Father God, we thank You for this tremendous stand of strength to follow what is sound judgment for the future and protection against evil. In Jesus' Name, amen.
- "Trust in the Lord with all your heart; and lean not unto your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6)
6. Suing Over Obamacare Exemptions for Congress - IFA
If the president wants to change the health-care law, he must ask Congress to do it. On Monday, Jan. 6, I am filing suit in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin to make Congress live by the letter of the health-care law it imposed on the rest of America. By arranging for me and other members of Congress and their staffs to receive benefits intentionally ruled out by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, the administration has exceeded its legal authority.
- Give thanks for Sen. Ron Johnson's attempt to legally address the logjam that characterizes . . . Obamacare. Almost all analysts agree that the law is out of control, and news reports make it clear that most members of Congress fear facing voters' wrath and legitimate charges of hypocrisy and cronyism in an election year.
Let us pray for divine restraint on government structures (e.g., the health care law) that are steeped in lies and confusion, and for a successful outcome for this lawsuit. Pray for protection for Senator Ron Johnson, his family, and his staff. In Jesus' Name, amen.
- "These six things the LORD hates, yes, seven are an abomination to Him: A proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that are swift in running to evil, a false witness who speaks lies, and one who sows discord among brethren." (Proverbs 6:16-19)
7. Satanists unveil design for OK statehouse statue - CNN
Satanists have unveiled their design for a proposed statue at the Oklahoma state Capitol, including a place for people to sit on the devil's lap "for inspiration and contemplation." (Read more)
- Almighty God, we cry out to our holy Father for mercy. That people will find inspiration and contemplation from "the devil's lap" in this statue is an ignominious lie. This action dishonors God, and is blatant blasphemy against His holiness. Father, destroy this idol. In the holy Name of Jesus we pray, amen.
- "And death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." (Revelation 20:13-15)
8. 'Polar vortex' spreads to southern and eastern parts of the US, breaking temperature records - Fox News
The so-called "polar vortex" of dense, frigid air that dropped temperatures in some parts of the country to record lows is now spreading to southern and eastern parts of the U.S., shattering more temperature records, forcing flights to be canceled and keeping many schools and businesses shuttered.
- We continue to offer prayers of protection for all who are yet in the path of this polar storm. May the heads of each household and of each business be granted wisdom when temporarily cutting back the use of electricity, so that our regional power grids will "hold" throughout this ordeal. Amen.
- "If you say, "The Lord is my refuge," and you make the Most High your dwelling, no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent." (Psalm 91:9,10)
9. In Iraq, a Sunni revolt raises specter of new war - Washington Post
An eruption of violence in Iraq is threatening to undo much of what U.S. troops appeared to have accomplished before they withdrew, putting the country's stability on the line and raising the specter of a new civil war in a region already buckling under the strain of the conflict in Syria.
- Mighty God, we ask that You dispatch warring angels to go into Iraq and hold back the forces of darkness that would destroy all the good that the United States has done for them, and at the cost of many American lives. Defeat all plans of these evil perpetrators. In the mighty Name of Jesus we pray, amen.
- "Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked, when it comes. For the Lord shall be your confidence, and shall keep your foot from being taken." (Proverbs 3:25-26)
10. Recommended Resource: Top 130 Officials Bookmark - IFA
Intercessors for America is making available a free download, listing the top officials in all three branches of government. You can access this PDF file by going here.
(Bookmarks can also be ordered in bulk by contacting IFA at the address listed at the bottom of this page.)
Thank you, IFA!
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge
in him." (Psalm 34:8)
1. Snowden has more U.S.-Israel secrets to expose: Greenwald - Reuters
Former U.S. spy agency contractor Edward Snowden has more secrets to reveal that relate to Israel, the journalist who first brought his leaks to the world's attention said on Monday.
2. Israeli Arabs: We don't want to be part of Palestinian state - Ynet News
Residents of predominantly Arab 'Triangle' see Lieberman land swap plan as unrealistic, say most would move to stay in Israel: 'The population won't agree to give up their citizenship'.
3. Bennett: We'll bolt coalition if it agrees to 1967 lines - Times of Israel
Economy and Trade Minister Naftali Bennett, head of the Jewish Home party, rejected Tuesday afternoon the prospect of a peace deal based on the 1967 lines, and called a potential Palestinian state "a demographic disaster for Israel."
4. US framework for peace talks will have elements 'both sides will dislike,' says Netanyahu - Jerusalem Post
US Secretary of State John Kerry is working on a document spelling out America's basic principles for a peace agreement that both sides -- with reservations -- are to agree to follow as a framework for continuing Israeli-Palestinian negotiations, Israeli officials said Monday.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them." (Psalm 34:7)
Pastors Daughter Released from Detention in China, 13 Remain Behind Bars - China Aid
(Nanle County, Henan-Jan. 4, 2014) Several believers from the Nanle County Christian Church in China's central Henan province, including the pastor's daughter, have been released; however, as many as 13 remain in custody.
"Officers from the Religious Affairs Bureau and the United Front Work Department sent me home. After arriving in town, they returned my cell phone and camera, except the video camera. I left belongings in Zhang's place before the detainment, and I had no money. They gave me 10 yuan so that I could take a bus home," Ren, who is from Beijing, said.
According to local believers, as of Sunday, 13 believers remained in official custody.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
Victory in California!
Privacy For All Students Wins in Court
Ruling determined in November
Implementation of AB 1266, California's co-ed bathroom law is now suspended
SACRAMENTO, Calif., Jan. 2, 2014 - In a strongly worded tentative ruling, a Sacramento Superior Court judge directed the California Secretary of State to count petitions submitted in two northern California counties for a referendum effort to overturn AB 1266, California's co-ed bathroom law.
The Secretary of State had refused to count signatures timely submitted in Tulare and Mono counties. In Tulare County, mail room personnel initially refused to accept the petitions from a courier. In Mono County the package was delivered but not opened for a number of days.
The problems in both Counties resulted from the statutory filing deadline falling on a Sunday in the middle of a three day weekend. Privacy For All Students, the organization that promoted the referendum, arranged for courier delivery before the Sunday deadline in both counties. While each of the counties reported the signatures to State elections officials, the Secretary of State refused to count any of the signatures submitted in these counties.
"It is a shame that we had to go to court to assure that the citizens of Tulare and Mono would not be disenfranchised by the arbitrary actions of the Secretary of State," said Gina Gleason, proponent of the referendum.
The opinion, delivered by Judge Allen Sumner concluded that PFAS actually had until Tuesday, November 12 to file the petitions, due to the weekend and the Monday holiday. The Secretary of State initially told PFAS that signatures needed to be delivered to each of the 58 counties by close of business the previous Friday, or earlier if the registrar of voters in a county was closed on Friday. . .
Nearly 620,000 signatures presented in support of the referendum are being validated in a joint process by the counties and the State. Presentation of those signatures in November suspended the implementation of the law. However, officials at the office of the Secretary of State are erroneously advising that the law became effective on January 1. PFAS is advising school personnel that the law was suspended based on the presentation of the signatures and that the law will only go into effect if the signatures are determined to be inadequate or the voters approve the law on the November ballot. (Christian Newswire) Read more.
- Pray that truth and common sense prevail and that these tender, young, and impressionable lives not be confused and compromised by worldly and sinful manipulation and experimentation.
- "Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea." (Matt. 18:6)
[Prayers offered by Intercessors for America]
The Daily Jot
Legalized governmental theft and your civil duty
King Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes 3:9-13 "What profit does the worker have from his efforts? I have seen the travail which God has given to the sons of men to be exercised in it . . . I know there is no good in them, but for a man to rejoice and to do good in his life. And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labor, it is the gift of God." In other words, it is Scriptural that you profit from your work and that you enjoy the fruits of your labor because they are a gift from God. This coincides with the commandments, "Thou shalt not steal" and "Thou shalt not covet" because taking the gain from a man's hard work denies him a gift of God. Herein is reason to resist overreaching government.
We see many examples in the Bible where men and women of God bless those who are less fortunate and also receive a blessing. It is a natural law to reap what you sow. Like the followers of Christ in the time of Acts, they willingly put the fruits of their labor into a common store that they all might be blessed. The key here is "willingly." When it becomes compulsory and forced by man or government, it becomes theft and covetousness. But for security's sake, governments are established. Some freedoms are given into stewardship of a government for some protections. This is the compact of limited government which governs at the behest of the people. It is the basis of America's Constitutional Republic.
Good citizenship requires accountability. Just as disciples of Christ in the kingdom of God have requirements for good citizenship, so do citizens of a nation. In a Constitutional Republic such as the United States, good citizenship requires holding the government accountable to the Supreme Law of the land, which is the Constitution. Kingdom of God citizens, who are also US citizens, have the responsibility to hold the government accountable to the Supreme Laws of God as well as to the Supreme Law of the nation--herein, the two are compatible for one is derived from the other. When good citizenship breaks down, governmental stewardship of just law and inalienable rights becomes oppressive.
Good citizenship in the kingdom of God and in the United States has broken down. Many check off worship to God as perfunctory, and many have acquiesced their duty of citizenship to elected officials. This has resulted in government using laws to steal and covet from the citizens by taking the gift of God--the fruits of labor--from those who earn it and giving it to others who did not earn it. When laws benefit one at the expense of another, they are unjust. Proverbs 11:1 says, "A false balance (dishonest scales) is abomination to the Lord, but a just weight is his delight." Laws designed to steal and covet are unjust. The scales of justice in America are an abomination and only the righteous having the way, the truth, and the life, can balance them. Let us reactivate our citizenships and no longer consent to legalized governmental theft.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Class Warfare in America
Get Ready For Class Warfare
-- It's All They've Got!
Harry Reid and his Democrat Senate majority are once again suspending the normal rules to rush politically-driven legislation on unemployment benefits and the minimum wage to the Senate floor. Why? They are desperate to change the subject from Obamacare as the elections approach.
Don't take my word for it. Today's Washington Post says it all: "Income Gap Takes Shape As Central Issue Ahead Of 2014 Midterms." Underscoring just how political Reid's move is, the Post writes that Barack Obama will speak from the White House later today. Obama loves using unemployed Americans as his props. Just once I wish one of the folks would turn and ask him why his economic policies don't work. I can dream, can't I?
This is all part of a massive, well-coordinated effort by the left to advance its socialist agenda. Remember the union walkouts at fast food restaurants last month? On the same day (Coincidence? Hardly.) stories ran that bank tellers were paid so little that many had to use welfare. Many on the left quickly jumped to the conclusion that this is just one more way in which taxpayers are subsidizing the big banks, which aren't paying their workers enough. You could apply that silly logic to just about any industry.
But don't miss the big picture: It's all being done to distract voters from Obamacare and to highlight the issue of income inequality. And, of course, as Obama will make clear, the solution to income inequality is higher taxes, bigger government and more Democrats in office. (Gary Bauer)
Focus on Human Trafficking
Conference Call Convened this Saturday to honor:
NATIONAL SLAVERY AND HUMAN TRAFFICKING PREVENTION MONTH, 2014
Dai Sup Han and PrayerSurgeNow will sponsor a naitonwide conference call to focus on slavery and human trafficking this Saturday, January 11th. We encourage all of our prayer partners to listen in on this strategic call. Thank you. (Details below.)
We invite you to join with us for our 3rd Annual National Conference Call Prayer Summit 1.11.14: Let US be the VOICE for the VOICELESS, for the ending of human trafficking, with initial details posted on Facebook and National Highway of Prayer. This is a special conference call connecting various abolitionist & prayer ministry leaders across the nation on Saturday morning, January 11, 2014, 9-11AM Eastern. We believe that our Father is calling us to a joint intercessory-abolition movement for a such a time as this to end the nightmare of modern day slavery.
There will be sharing of both encouraging praise reports and critical prayer points focused on human trafficking which will be followed by intercession. Please listen in and bless our conference call with unified hearts in prayer of agreement.
Also, please consider reading President Obama's proclamation of declaring January as National Human Trafficking Prevention Month by clicking here.
Let US be the VOICE for the VOICELESS throughout 2014 and beyond!
Together in Christ,
Tomas Lares, Executive Director/Founder, Florida Abolitionist
and Serving with National Day of Prayer
Dai Sup Han, Facilitator, Prayer Surge NOW! and Californians for JESUS and Serving with Youth With A Mission
WHEN? Saturday Morning, Jan 11, 9-11AM Eastern
CONFERENCE LINE: 712-432-0075
ACCESS CODE: 6149782#
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Secret Location of King David's Castle to be Revealed
Israel National News reports that a major archaeological find points to David's royal castle in a location which has been kept secret, but will be revealed on January 17.
The site was found by Binyamin Tropper as he descended into a cave south of Jerusalem.
According to the report, the find is a "decorated carved stone known as a 'proto-aeolic capital' that is connected to a column. Only 30 such capitals have been found in Israel so far, and only five of them were found in areas in which Biblical-era kings lived."
The capital in this particular case "apparently indicates that an entire temple or castle is buried beneath it."
Preparations for the official announcement are ongoing as troubling security issues surrounding the location of the find are being finalized. (BCN) Read more.
Signs and Wonders
Signs and Wonders:
It's So Cold In Canada The Ground Has Literally Been Cracking Open
Pavement froze so quickly, it cracked open, known as a "frost quake."
A few nights ago, residents across Canada took to Twitter, announcing the loud noises they heard during the night, CBC News Toronto reported. Although many called police stations, they didn't hear gunshots or sonic booms. Instead "frost quakes," also known as cryoeisems, caused quite a stir.
These occur when temperatures drop so drastically and quickly, ground water (like accumulated rain or even wetness in the soil) immediately freezes and causes the earth to crack open. When water freezes, it expands. Sometimes the ground, especially rigid surfaces like the pavement pictured below, just can't take the pressure.
Temperatures reached about -4 degrees Fahrenheit in Toronto on the night of January 3, CBC reported. Considering temperatures across the U.S. will match and even beat Canada early this week, residents might hear some cracks in the night, as well.
Although frost quakes don't share their causes with earth quakes, a seismograph - an instrument that monitors movement of the earth - can pick up the events, if the ground cracks close enough to the device. People experiencing frost quakes also often mistake them for earthquakes, perhaps the origin of the name. (Contributor: Christina Sterbenz for Business Insider) Read more here, as well as see a photo of a "frost quake."
[Reported by: Intercessors for America]
"And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near." (Luke 11:25-28)
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!