Please see our Good News report
for today . . .
See also: "You're Invited" -- below!
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief
Friday, January 17, 2014
"The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases."
The Daily Brief
1. Congress passes $1.1 trillion spending bill - Washington Times
WASHINGTON - Congress sent President Barack Obama a $1.1 trillion government-wide spending bill Thursday, easing the harshest effects of last year's automatic budget cuts after tea party critics chastened by October's partial shutdown mounted only a faint protest.The Senate voted 72-26 for the measure, which previously cleared the House.
- Father, we thank You that an agreement was reached, and pray that these changes to spending practices will be good for the American people and the economy. We ask for Your continual infusion of Your wisdom into the minds of our government leaders, that they will do what is best for America, and bring honor to You. Amen.
- "Yet there is a wisdom that we are speaking to those who are mature enough for it. But it is not the wisdom of this world nor of this world's leaders, who are in the process of passing away. On the contrary, we are communicating a secret wisdom from God, which has been hidden until now, but which, before history began, God had decreed would bring us glory." (I Corinthians 2:6,7)
2. Obama Unveils Surveillance Reforms - VOA
U.S. President Barack Obama unveiled reforms Friday in the vast surveillance being conducted by the country's clandestine National Security Agency. Aiming to calm uproar over NSA telecommunications surveillance, Obama unveiled plans to end government control of an enormous cache of bulk phone records about calls made by Americans.
- Abba, we ask that these reforms presented by our President, would be implemented, and be good for the American people. We ask that these reforms would be scrutinized by our Congress, as well, and if any changes need to be made, that You would reveal these changes to them, and they would follow through. We ask for protection for the law-abiding citizens of this nation, and also the "uncovering" of any and all subversive activity against our nation. Amen.
- "No one, when he has lit a lamp, covers it with a vessel or puts it under a bed, but sets it on a lampstand, that those who enter may see the light. For nothing is secret that will not be revealed, nor anything hidden that will not be known and come to light. Therefore take heed how you hear." (Luke 8:16-18)
3. Inspector General: State Department Vulnerable to Hackers - News Max
The State Department - which houses hundreds of millions of cyber-records containing Americans' Social Security numbers, birth dates and passports - repeatedly has been warned since 2011 about "vulnerabilities and risks" in its computer systems but has failed to develop a corrective plan, according to an Office of the Inspector General report. (Read more)
- Lord, we thank You for this warning by the Inspector General regarding the State Department's vulnerability to hackers, and we pray that "safeguards" will immediately be put into place to block any would-be hackers from stealing information about our citizens and/or programs that would harm our nation. We see that these warnings have been ignored since 2011, and we pray there will be a public outcry, and this "hole in the dyke" would be sealed shut now. Amen.
- "A fool despises his father's discipline, but he who heeds warnings is prudent." (Proverbs 15:5)
4. Justice Department pushes to end religious profiling: report - Washington Times
Attorney General Eric Holder's newest policy push includes a recommendation to prohibit federal authorities from using religion as part of investigations, a nod to civil rights activists who maintain that law enforcement agents routinely target Muslims. The policy under discussion would expand profiling definitions to include religion, national origin, gender and sexual orientation, the New York Timesfirst reported. The Justice Department is currently reviewing the proposal.
Critics say such a plan will hamper terrorist investigations that are often tied to radical Muslim groups. But supporters such as members of the Council on American-Islamic Relations say such reform is overdue. "Good law enforcement requires good leads, not dragnets that catch law abiding Americans who are simply living their lives," Nihad Awad, national executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, told the Associated Press. (Read more)
[The following is a note from today's prayer editor.]
- Father, I must confess that when I first read this news item, I thought it was going to say that the Dept. of Justice would now "stand up" for Christians. Amazingly, however, the DOJ is once again protecting Moslems from religious profiling. We ask that as data is recorded from those known to be a threat to our nation, that common denominators would become part of the "profiling", whether this involves one's religion, or any other indicator. We ask for sanity and wisdom for those creating these profiles, in Your Name we pray, Amen.
- "Be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour." (I Peter 5:8)
5. Obama vows that John Boehner will indeed push through immigration reform - Washington Times
Perhaps the president knows something legislative watchers don't, because Mr. Obama vows - in sharp contrast to political pundits Capitol Hill insiders - the House Speaker John Boehner will indeed pass immigration reform before the end of the year. Most say the issue is dead for 2014, The Hill reported.
- Lord, we are troubled by the arrogance of our President speaking threateningly against one of our Legislators. We understand that all of us have opinions as to what we may think will happen, but it seems to be "crossing the line" to "vow" that someone do what we want. We come against a spirit of intimidation, pride, hostility, and arrogance, and we pray that Congressman Boehner will do what he believes is the right thing to do, taking Your counsel in these matters. We pray for his protection, and for that of his family, in Your Name, Amen.
- "And now, Lord, listen to their threats. Lord, help us, Your servants, to speak Your word without fear." (Acts 4:29)
6. White House Releases Summary of Iran Nuclear Deal - VOA News
The U.S. government has released a summary of the deal reached earlier in January aimed at curbing Tehran's nuclear program. The information outlined by the White House Thursday includes a timetable for inspections of Iranian nuclear facilities by the United Nations nuclear watchdog, the International Economic Energy Agency . It also details the modest easing of sanctions on Iran that are being granted in return for the freeze on some parts of the Iranian nuclear program.
- Father God, this "deal" was struck without any input from Israel, so we are careful about its contents. We ask that our Congress would study this "deal" and ask for, and receive, specifics that are necessary to know to protect all of us -- as well as Israel -- from Iran's nuclear threats. We remember President Reagan's advice, "trust, but verify", and we ask that this administration would also have verification procedures in effect. Again, we ask for Your wisdom in these matters. Our trust is in You! Amen.
- "Woe to those who go down to Egypt for help, and rely on horses, Who trust in chariots because they are many, and in horsemen, because they are very strong, But who do not look to the Holy One of Israel; Nor seek the Lord!" (Isaiah 31:1)
7. West Prepares to Ease Iran Sanctions - VOA News
A temporary deal agreed to in November between world powers and Iran regarding its nuclear program comes into force Monday. It's seen as a stepping-stone to a broader agreement on the future of the program, which many Western countries believe is aimed at producing nuclear weapons - a charge Iran has long denied. The interim deal between Iran and the six world powers known as the P5+1 (the U.S., U.K., Russia, China, France and Germany) will see Tehran freeze high-level uranium enrichment.
- Abba, indeed our trust is in You, our Father, and the Lord of the whole earth, we seek Your wisdom in dealing with our enemies, and the enemies of Your people, Israel. We pray that our nation will not forsake Israel, and we praise You, that You will not forsake her, as You promised. Give wisdom, O Lord, and reveal the secret things that need to be revealed, we pray. In Jesus' Name, Amen.
- "God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved; God shall help her, just at the break of dawn. The nations raged, the kingdoms were moved; He uttered His voice, the earth melted. The Lord of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob in our Refuge. Selah" (Psalm 46:5-7)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Arise and thresh, O daughter of Zion; for I will make your horn iron, and I will make your hoofs bronze; and you shall crush many peoples."(Micah 4:12)
1. Defense minister rises as U.S.-Israel relations plunge - Haaretz
Moshe Ya'alon spoke insultingly off the record about Secretary of State John Kerry, and Prime Minister Netanyahu was in no hurry to come to the aid of his defense minister.
2. Israel PM slams EU 'hypocrisy' on settlements - Yahoo
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu slammed the European Union Thursday for calling in ambassadors over plans for some 1,800 new homes for Jewish settlers in the occupied West Bank. Netanyahu's angry remarks come hot on the heels of a public spat between his defence minister and US Secretary of State John Kerry, who is energetically pushing Israel and the Palestinians toward a framework for a peace agreement.
3. Report: Netanyahu Supports Liberman Land Swap Plan - Israel National News
Binyamin Netanyahu supports Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman's land swap plan, according to a Maariv report Friday. The swap, which Israel reportedly offered the US in talks in December, refers to the area known as the Triangle in east-central Israel. The area includes the cities of Tayibe and Tira, in which about 300,000 Arabs live.
4. Report: Jews suffer hostility in 71 countries - Ynet News
Violence and discrimination against religious groups by governments and rival faiths have reached new highs in all regions of the world except the Americas, according to a new Pew Research Center report.
5. Jewish leaders fear online surge of Hitler's 'Mein Kampf' fuels new wave of hate - Fox News
Originally published in 1925, the 387-page anti-Semitic manifesto on the "Jewish peril" and the Nazi ideology has become a bona fide online sensation, topping Amazon's Propaganda & Political Psychology section as of Thursday for just 99 cents. Elsewhere, two different versions ranked No.12 and No. 15, respectively, in the Politics & Current Events section of the iTunes bookstore as of Wednesday. While such rankings in one of several categories does not make the book a true best-seller, they do indicate a spike in popularity
6. 'Israel will make Hamas suffer if Gaza rocket fire continues' - Jpost
The Islamist Hamas movement is probably not responsible for a recent upsurge in rocket fire out of Gaza where it rules, but will be made to suffer if the salvoes continue, a senior Israeli military official said.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"For the Lord will not abandon His people, Nor will He forsake His inheritance." (Psalm 94:14)
14 Year-Old Christian Girl Abducted And Forcefully Converted To Islam In Pakistan - Pakistan Gender News
A 14 year-old Christian girl (name withheld) was forced to marry and convert to Islam after being abducted by a fellow student, Abdullah Shafi. The girl and her mother were threatened separately with dire consequences if they were to speak against him and his family. Both did not remain silent resulting in the arrest and imprisonment of Shafi for abduction under section 365-B Pakistan's Penal Code. Though the Bhatti family succeeded where so few have in retrieving their daughter, they are planning to leave their beloved homeland due to fears of further attacks.
*Pray for the safety and strength of all the young girls that have been abducted
*Pray this family receives spiritual healing wherever their path leads them
*Pray lawmakers will produce more protective legislation for religious minorities
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
The Daily Jot
Advancing antichrist and the prophetic Egypt
It is all becoming pretty clear how the White House is advancing the antichrist religion of Islam and assisting the Muslim Brotherhood (MB) in its attempt to reestablish the Islamic Caliphate as a worldwide ruling force--or at least of the Middle East. There should be no question in any Bible-believing person's mind that Islam is an antichrist system. 2 John 7 says, "For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh, this is a deceiver and an antichrist." The president was front and center using his power in assisting the MB and al Qaeda in overthrowing Tunisia, Libya, Yemen and Egypt along with creating a host of other troubles, including Syria.
From his earliest foreign policy speech in June 2009, the president had his eyes on Egypt. He invited the banned MB to attend his speech and soon thereafter all stability in Arab nations in the Middle East was replaced with either unrest or revolution. It didn't take long for a White House-supported revolution in Egypt to oust dictator president Hosni Mubarak, establish an MB-led "democracy," rewrite the Constitution into a Sharia law oppression, and throw the country into the hands of radical Islamists. To the Egyptians, democracy is an esoteric political ideal because they have seen it only in the form of an "elected" military dictator or an "elected" radical Islamic regime.
Facing instability and violent protests of the people, the military in Egypt decided enough was enough with the democratically elected Muslim Brotherhood in charge and staged a successful coup. In its benevolence, it allowed a Constitutional vote this week about freedom of the press and equality for women. It passed by a 97% margin with 27.7% voter turnout. The Egyptian people are slowly trying to get their country back, using whatever forces are available at the time to work in agreement with them. Today it is the military, tomorrow, who knows? But there is something about Egypt that America's president has underestimated--the people.
While the American president seeks to advance the antichrist system with his pen and phone, the American people can determine their place in prophecy using the Bible and their voices. Like those in Egypt today who reject the machinations of evildoers who "speak lies at one table," Americans, especially American Christians, should reject the Pen and Phone oligarchy that is unrighteous in all its ways.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
"Your Beauty is Awesome"
Out of the ruins of a church in Egypt that was destroyed by the torches of the Moslem Brotherhood last August rises the voices of a generation who will praise our God, nevertheless.
Weep with us as you view this powerful video, made in Egypt but with English subtitles, and let its message go deep into all of our hearts.
"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28)
Go here to view this beautiful testimony . . . from the fires of Egypt. Amen.
Signs and Wonders
Signs and Wonders:
Moroccan Drought Ends after Jews Pray for Rain
Moroccan Drought Ends after Jews Pray for Rain The Morocco World News reported, "Moroccan Jews performed prayers in all the synagogues in the country, imploring God to spread bountiful rain on the entire territory of the Kingdom." Two days after the reiteration of the Simchat Torah rain prayer on the Sabbath, there were abundant thunderstorms across the country. (Israel National News) Read more.
"And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near." (Luke 11:25-28)
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
You Are For Me