Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief
"Praying for All in Authority"
Wednesday, January 29, 2014
"The days are coming," declares the Sovereign LORD, "when I will send a famine through the land-- not a famine of food or a thirst for water, but a famine of hearing the words of the LORD. (Amos 8:11)
Please visit the website for the International Christian Concern to find ongoing needs for prayer among the persecuted around the world. Thank you.
The Daily Brief
1. Obama flexes executive power in measured State of Union address
- The Hill
In a State of the Union address less partisan and pointed than many expected, President Obama on Tuesday said he was eager to work with Congress but willing to go it alone. (Read more)
- As we study the Word of God, time and time again, the way the enemy was defeated was that he overplayed his hand, "shot himself in the foot," and exposed his own agenda by moving too soon when he was blinded by his own arrogance. As we review last night's address by this president, it does seem that history is now repeating itself.
Offer praise unto the Lord that the public is no longer deceived, but can now "see through" this arrogant agenda for what it is: dictatorship. Offer a prayer that the spirit of our people will be moved to take action to rescue our nation, as He leads us to do. In His Name, Amen.
- " . . . but deliver us from evil . . ." (Matthew 6:13)
> > > Note: To read an insightful analysis of the change in pubic opinion towards Barack Hussein Obama, then and now, please go here. [Written by Major General Jerry R. Curry, US Army, Retired]
2. Boehner issues warning to Obama - The Hill
Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) on Thursday delivered a blunt message to President Obama ahead of his plan for increased unilateral action: We're watching you.
House Republicans urged Obama not to go around Congress, and Boehner warned that Congress would act if the president's orders did not pass muster under the Constitution. (Read more)
- Offer praise to the Lord that we still have a two-party system in place in our nation, so that each one watches over the other to ensure that constitutional laws are upheld. Pray for strength for the Republican leadership, as they work to bring oversight to an administration that seems to be going out of control given its legal authority in the land.
- "In that day the Lord of hosts will be For a crown of glory and a diadem of beauty To the remnant of His people, For a spirit of justice to him who sits in judgment, And for strength to those who turn back the battle at the gate." (Isaiah 28:5,6)
3. McMorris Rodgers shines in GOP response - The Hill
Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.) delivered an assured performance Tuesday night as she contrasted President Obama's State of the Union address with the GOP's "hopeful" vision for the nation. (Read more)
- Thank you all for your intercession yesterday for Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers. We praise the Lord that this humble sister in Christ, having moved from the farms of the State of Washington to the highest corridors of power in "the other Washington," has never lost her love for our Savior and the humility of her walk in Christ.May her light shine brighter and brighter in the days to come, amen.
- "Arise, shine;
For your light has come!
And the glory of the Lord is risen upon you.
For behold, the darkness shall cover the earth,
And deep darkness the people;
But the Lord will arise over you,
And His glory will be seen upon you.
The Gentiles shall come to your light,
And kings to the brightness of your rising." (Isaiah 60:1-3)
4. US Congress secretly approves weapons flow to 'moderate' Syrian rebels - Jerusalem Post
Light arms supplied by the United States are flowing to "moderate" Syrian rebel factions in the south of the country and US funding for months of further deliveries has been approved by Congress, according US and European security officials. The weapons, most of which are moving to non-Islamist Syrian rebels via Jordan, include a variety of small arms, as well as some more powerful weapons, such as anti-tank rockets. (Read more)
- Father God, this twisted maze of meaningless statements implies disregard of restraints imposed by prudence. God, we ask that You stop the supply of arms and anti-tank rockets to these terrorist groups and block further deliveries to so-called non-Islamist Syrian rebels. Dispatch warring angels from heaven to intervene here and defeat the enemy. In the Name of Jesus we pray, amen.
- "You shall not raise a false report: put not your hand with the wicked to be an unrighteous witness." (Exodus 23:1)
5. Bypassing sanctions and with help from Iran, Syria steps up missile production - Times of Israel
Syria is accelerating its production of missiles and rockets, effectively circumventing international sanctions imposed on it, according to the authoritative Jane's Defence Weekly. (Read more)
- Mighty God, bring down Syria's production of missiles and rockets, that they be held accountable for circumventing international sanctions. Father God, as You oversee all the nations of the world, we pray that You move each one to conform to Your eternal will. In Jesus' Name we pray, amen.
- "Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people. The eyes of the Lord are in every place, beholding the evil and the good." (Proverbs 14:34, 15:3)
6. Syria talks: 'Impasse' at Geneva on power transfer - BBC
The Syrian peace talks in Geneva are deadlocked over the divisive issue of transferring power to a transitional government. The sides cannot agree on the future role of President Bashar al-Assad. UN mediator Lakhdar Brahimi said there "was apparently the will" to continue talks but "we never expected any miracles". (Read more)
- Lord God, we thank You that You have a plan and a purpose and a destiny for the nation of Syria, its rulers and its people. We ask that You would intervene to cast down any plans being devised in these Geneva peace talks that do not measure up to the plumbline of Your will, and bring clarity to those who are the true and appointed gatekeepers, charged with mapping out the destiny of Syria. We ask this in Jesus' name, amen and amen.
- "I am full of confusion; therefore see my affliction." (Job 10:15)
7. Kim Jong Un Executed All of Uncle's Blood Relatives - Newsmax
North Korea's sadistic leader Kim Jong Un not only executed his uncle, he put to death all of the man's living blood relatives, including children and grandchildren, according to a new report. (Read more)
- Lord God, look down from heaven upon Kim Jong Un and bring him to his knees in broken repentance for his acts of demonic cruelty upon his uncle's relatives. Press in upon him and bring him down from his throne, which will release North Korea of his wicked leadership. We ask for his salvation, in the Name of Jesus we pray, amen.
- "The righteous shall rejoice when he sees the vengeance: he shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked." (Psalm 58:10)
8. Nigeria 'Boko Haram' attacks leave scores dead - BBC
Suspected Islamist militants have attacked two villages in north-eastern Nigeria, leaving 74 people dead, say police and witnesses. Militants attacked Kawuri village in Borno state as a busy market was packing up on Sunday, setting off explosives and setting houses ablaze. Witnesses said 52 people were killed in that attack, while 22 died in an attack on a church service in Waga Chakawa village, Adamawa state, on Sunday. (Read more)
- Lord God, we weep for the dead who were victims of the bloodthirsty Islamist militants and for those who are in mourning tonight in Nigeria. God, we ask that You avenge the deaths of the innocent and require their blood at the hands of the guilty. Call forth Your warrior angels in heaven to come and deliver these godless men from the grasp of the enemy, leading them to salvation in You. In the Name of Jesus we pray, amen.
- "The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God." (Psalm 9:17)
9. Japan revises school manuals to set out territorial claims - BBC
Japan's Education Ministry says it is revising teaching manuals for schools to set out its ownership of disputed islands. Minister Hakubun Shimomura said Japan wanted to teach its children "about integral parts of its territory". The disputed territory includes islands in the East China Sea controlled by Japan but also claimed by China, and islands controlled by South Korea. (Read more)
- Mighty God, let there be a distinct demarcation of who has the legal right of ownership over these disputed islands. Send forth a powerful non-contested document that proves ownership. Bring peace over this region and defeat combatant spirits by the power of Your Word. As You speak, peace will come. In Jesus' Name.
- "Break the arm of the wicked and the evil man: seek out his wickedness till there is none."
10. Rare winter storm leaves students, drivers stranded in Deep South
- Fox News
Rescue efforts are under way Wednesday after thousands of schoolchildren and hundreds of drivers in the Deep South spent the night stranded at schools and along ice-covered highways following a rare winter storm that brought freezing rain, snow and bitter cold to the region.
Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed says "a lot of people" are still stranded in their cars on the highways nearly 24 hours the storm slammed the city, but he is not sure of exactly how many people. (Read more)
- As this winter storm continues to take its toll on our people, please pray for grace and mercy from the Hand of God over all weather patterns affecting our nation. Please pray, especially, for the cities and the states in the Deep South, who simply do not have the equipment needed to meet this challenge. Pray for a miracle, please. Amen.
- "In wrath remember mercy . . ." (Habakkuk 3:2)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Thus says YHWH: 'If My covenant is not with day and night, and if I have not given the ordinances of the heavens and the earth, then I will cast away the seed of Jacob, and David My servant, so that I will not take any of his seed to be rulers over the seed of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. For I will bring back their captivity, and have mercy on them.' (Jeremiah 33:25-26)
1. Netanyahu: Iran set back only 6 weeks by nuclear deal - Times of Israel
Iran's interim deal with the international community only set it back six weeks in terms of the time of would take its nuclear program to assemble a bomb, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned in a speech on Tuesday night.
2. Abbas proposes three-year Israeli pullout from West Bank - Yahoo
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas proposed on Tuesday that Israel carry out a gradual three-year withdrawal from the occupied West Bank as part of any future peace deal, an offer that fell short of Israeli demands.
3. Kerry's focus on Israeli-Palestinian peace comes at great expense - Yahoo
While forging a peace deal that ensures the security of Israel and the dignity of the Palestinians is a worthy goal, it's a long shot. Secretary of State John Kerry's time would be better spent pursuing vital US interests in Africa, Asia, and the broader Middle East region.
The Daily Jot
When the laws are not enforced
Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson told the United States Conference of Mayors January 24th that illegal aliens have "earned the right to be citizens." In one of his first public speeches, he said, "An earned path to citizenship for those currently present in this country is a matter of, in my view, homeland security to encourage people to come out from the shadows." He continued, "It is also, frankly, in my judgment, a matter of who we are as Americans to offer the opportunity to those who want to be citizens, who've earned the right to be citizens, who are present in this country--many of whom came here as children--to have the opportunity that we all have to try to become American citizens." This is outrageous.
Herein is a man who is charged with enforcing border security saying that people who have broken the law, are law breaking fugitives living within the borders of America, have earned the right to be citizens. This sets a tremendous example: if you have broken the laws of this country, you have earned the right to be a citizen. Earned the RIGHT! What other rights have people earned by breaking the law? Or what about those who have not broken the law...have they "earned the right" to be spied on and harassed by unconstitutional, unelected government agencies with the power to arbitrarily enforce the law against those who do not agree with them?
The Washington Post reported in August 2013 that Justice Department statistics indicate the cost of incarceration in the US was $80 billion in 2010. The US population increased by about a third since 1980, but the federal prison population has grown by about 800 percent. Interesting that these statistics track with 2009 criminal illegal aliens in federal prisons increasing 7 percent since 2005 and a 35 percent increase in state and local jails since 2003. GAO estimates that illegal aliens had an average of 7 arrests, primarily for immigration and drug offenses, costing $1.6 billion a year from 2005 through 2009 (latest statistics available).
Think about it. If one doesn't respect the law as a matter of principle and character, how can one be expected to abide by it? I am talking not only about the illegal alien, but also about a non elected political appointee presiding over an unconstitutional "agent" of the government. Even the Attorney General and the president refuse selectively to enforce the laws of the nation. Jesus said in Matthew 24:12, "And because lawlessness abounds, the love of many will grow cold." The lawlessness or iniquity that the Lord is speaking of is based on God's laws, which are devoid in this cadre of evildoers. There is something tremendously amiss when the lawbreaker and the law enforcer are of the same mind.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
The State Of Obama's America
The State Of Obama's America
As Barack Obama prepares to deliver his sixth State of the Union address, a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll finds that the state of Obama's America is not well at all. Just consider these figures:
Only 28% of Americans believe the country is headed in the right direction.
71% are dissatisfied with the state of the economy.
Just 31% of Americans think the country is better off than in 2009, when Obama took office.
When asked how they would described the country, 60% said "divided" or "troubled," while 21% said "deteriorating" and 14% said "broken." Only 3% offered that America today is "strong."
As America begins the sixth year of Obama occupying the Oval Office, "hope and change" have given way to despair and decline. (Gary Bauer)
Setting The Tone -- More Division
Historically, State of the Union addresses are presidential wish lists -- key items on the president's agenda that he wants passed by Congress. There will be some of that in Obama's remarks tonight, but this year is different.
Obama and his aides have already made it clear that they are prepared to bypass Congress. This morning the White House made good on that threat by announcing that Obama was unilaterally raising the minimum wage paid to federal contract workers to $10.10 an hour -- a 39% raise -- and indexing it for inflation.
Obama will highlight this action in his speech tonight and then call for Congress to raise the minimum wage for everyone else. Of course the left is applauding this move. But it means that taxpayers will now have to pay more for those same services. Contractors bidding on future projects will have to factor those higher costs into their bids and will raise prices as a result.
Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) blasted Obama's move saying, "The president just unilaterally, without Congress made government that much more expensive. We all have to pay for it." Rep. Steve King (R-IA) labeled Obama's action "a constitutional violation," adding, "We have a minimum wage. Congress has set it . . . we've never had a president with that level of audacity and that level of contempt for his own oath of office."
As frustrating as Obama's executive orders are, they can be undone by the next president. Add this to the long list of Obama's actions that any GOP candidate worth his or her salt will promise to repeal on day one, along with all of Obama's unilateral changes to Obamacare.
By most accounts, Obama's speech tonight is intended to set the tone for the year ahead in Washington and for the 2014 elections. We are hearing that the president will once again pivot to the economy, focusing specifically on economic inequality -- a theme Democrats will try to exploit during the elections in their increasingly desperate hope to avoid the fallout from Obamacare. (Gary Bauer; published on Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2014)
Updates from the CPC Foundation
Updates from the Congressional Prayer Caucus Foundation (Part One)
Week of January 27 - 31, 2014
"Without recorded dissent, the Supreme Court has enjoined the federal government from enforcing the HHS mandate against the Little Sisters of the Poor and their co-plaintiffs during the pendency of their Tenth Circuit appeal...This is an important procedural victory for the Little Sisters of the Poor and their co-plaintiffs, and it ought to lead the lower courts to grant similar relief to other religious nonprofits challenging the HHS mandate." (National Review Online) Read more.
2. Protecting Freedom Of Conscience: White House Threatens Veto Of House Abortion Bill
"The Obama administration is threatening a veto of legislation that would permanently ban federal funds for abortion." (Associated Press) Read more.
3. ADF: Atheists' Lawsuit Against National Motto Should Be Thrown Out
"Alliance Defending Freedom filed a friend-of-the-court brief with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit Thursday in support of the use of the national motto, "In God We Trust," on U.S. coins and currency. Last February, a group of atheists filed a lawsuit against the federal government that claims the use of the national motto on money is unconstitutional even though it is a practice that has deep roots in American history and federal courts have repeatedly upheld it as constitutional." (Alliance Defending Freedom) Read more.
(Tomorrow: Part Two)
The Importance of the Jordan Valley Corridor
The Israeli demand for a security presence along the Jordan River was again raised last month in the Kerry-brokered peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians. Its objective would be to stop Palestinian and global jihad terrorists from infiltrating into Israeli territory and to prevent the smuggling of rockets, explosives and other weapons which would be used by the Palestinians to attack Israel along its eastern border.
The Jordan River border east of Israel becomes especially important, as the Arab Spring fades into a Winter of Chaos, creating uncertainty about future in neighboring Arab states to the east of Israel. These Arab states likely will be destabilized and their identities will change, influencing their objectives and leading to an increase in hostility and preparations for future aggression against Israel.
The threat is worsened by the rise in power of radical Sunnis in the Arab countries seeking to take over regimes whose hostility toward Israel is legendary, but still less than that of the Sunni extremists trying to overthrow them. The regimes (among them the monarchies like Jordan and the Gulf States that survived the Arab Spring) are uncertain and worried by dissent and the threats to their stability, and are currently preparing for the worst case scenario, that is, a putsch.
That situation brings Israel into the equation, especially in view of Iran's ongoing threat to destroy it. Israel cannot ignore the axis of hostile Shi'ite regimes - from Tehran and Baghdad to Damascus and Beirut - currently forming and closing Jordan and Israel from the north and east. For years, Israel's threatened eastern border has been in a state of military preparedness, fearing the arrival of forces from Iraq and other Islamic countries.
Israel's eastern border is difficult to defend because of its geostrategic structure, being Israel's "narrow waist" of 12 kilometers, or barely 7.5 miles. Israel's center, which is its most densely populated urban area, has no depth. A military or terrorist attack against Israel from the east would expose not only most of the population but main strategic facilities (military, industrial and civilian) to an unprecedented threat.
(Source: Reuven Berko, The Investigative Project on Terrorism)
> > > Read the full article here.
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Prayer really works! As we pray and believe God for breakthrough in America, it's important to celebrate the victories that occur also. This is an opportunity for you to read about what the Lord is doing, not only in the United States, but in other nations as well!
Recently we received an email from our prayer general in Iowa letting us know that out of 27 abortion clinics in the state, 14 have closed. Just 13 remain open; however, it is reported that more are in the process of quietly laying off employees and preparing to shut down. While we realize that it is unfortunate that those workers are losing their jobs and, thus, means of supporting their own families, we rejoice in the fact that with every clinic closing down more babies will live! This can be accredited to the powerful prayer initiatives held, not only in Iowa, but throughout the nation for the ending of murdering babies in the womb.
Praise God for these victories! We pray that this encourages you as you stand with us for righteousness and justice!
For the nation,
Mike and Cindy Jacobs
(To read more about what is happening internationally, please click here.)
Signs and Wonders
Signs and Wonders:
Snow rollers spring a surprise after Stark storm
(Stark County, Ohio)
all over Stark County.
Carolyn Workinger awoke Monday morning to what she thought was an amazing sight - snowballs of all sizes littering her yard and the nearby golf course. "I'm 89 years old and I've never seen anything like that in my life," said Workinger, who lives on Club House Circle NW in Jackson Township near Rolling Green Golf Course. She called her neighbor, who also was amazed by the snowy gift Mother Nature had left in yards across Stark County.
The combination of wind and snow created "snow rollers" - some as large as basketballs. . .
And Workinger wasn't the only wide-eyed person to wonder about them. Other Ohio newspapers . . . received numerous calls Monday from folks asking about the round snow clumps that seemed to magically appear. Everyone said the same thing - "I've never seen it before."
Snow rollers are a rare phenomenon, and are usually cylinder shaped and often hollow, looking a bit more like a doughnut or a Swiss roll than a snowball, according to Erik Pindrock, a meteorologist with AccuWeather.com. "They form in layers, like a dessert," he said.
"And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near."
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
"Our God is Greater"