Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Monday, June 10, 2013
"I will praise You, O Lord, with my whole heart;
I will tell of all Your marvelous works." (Ps. 9:1)
Guidelines for today's American Prayer Initiative can be found by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. NSA whistle-blower who sought to 'inform the public' in surveillance risks decades in jail - Fox News
The reported source of the bombshell leaks about the U.S. government gathering information on billions of phone calls and Internet activities risks decades in jail for the disclosures if the U.S. can extradite him from Hong Kong, where he says he has taken refuge after saying his sole motive was to "inform the public."
Edward Snowden, 29, who claims to have worked as a contractor at the National Security Agency and the CIA, allowed The Guardian and The Washington Post to reveal his identity Sunday. Snowden, in a video that appeared on the Guardian's website, said two NSA surveillance programs are wide open to abuse. (Read more)
Update: Iceland Considers Offering NSA Whistleblower Snowden Asylum - Infowars.com
Edward Snowden, the Booz Allen Hamilton staffer with a top-secret security clearance who leaked details of NSA surveillance, is welcome to seek asylum in Iceland, according to lawmaker Birgitta Jónsdóttir and Smari McCarthy, executive director of the International Modern Media Institute, an organization dedicated to protecting whistleblowers. (Read more)
- Pray for the protection of the life of Eric Snowden, his family, and all others who are close to him. Praise God for the nation of Iceland . . . may his extradition to that nation be quick and painless. Amen.
- "Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you." (Deut. 31:6)
2. IRS worker blasts Lerner for blaming Ohio office on targeting, likens effort to 'nuclear strike' - Fox News
An IRS agent in the embattled Cincinnati office is lashing out at the agency's managers for pinning the blame on them for the targeting of conservative groups, describing one official's attempt to pass the blame as a "nuclear strike on us."
According to transcripts of interviews that House investigators conducted with two Cincinnati office employees and which Fox News reviewed, agent Elizabeth Hofacre claimed that the idea this program was the work of two rogue agents is "absurd." She said that when Lois Lerner, the high-level official who oversaw the Cincinnati unit and is now on leave over the scandal, first acknowledged the program last month and traced it to the Ohio office, "I was furious." (Read more)
- Lord, in reading the full article it appears that all kinds of requirements and procedures were made by high level staff regarding the processing of these applications, and that the lower level staff doing the core processing had no autonomy to change these requirements. This caused lower level staff to be caught between the requestors and upper management. Lord, we ask You to reveal all the plots and schemes of darkness, for all to see, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who speaks lies will not escape. (Proverbs 19:5)
3. Lawmakers aim to rein in administration on data-collection 'dragnet,' change law - Fox News
Republican and Democratic lawmakers already are plotting ways to rein in the Obama administration's mass collection of phone and Internet data, after a rapid-fire series of disclosures about the program set off privacy alarms.
"This is a dragnet," Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner, R-Wis., told Fox News on Friday.
The latest development, as reported by The Guardian newspaper, is that the British government has also been secretly gathering intelligence from U.S. Internet companies via the U.S. National Security Agency data-mining project. That project, along with reports about a secret court order allowing the government to collect phone records for millions of Verizon customers, triggered a renewed debate this week over whether Americans are trading too much privacy for a sense of security. (Read more)
- Abba Father, going by this report, what is being said versus what is being done does not fit together. Using airport TSA actions as an example, whose actions are explained as being for national security, one can see a huge invasion of privacy and exercise of a control of fear over regular citizens who are not security threats. Collecting all phone records comes across as massive intimidation and invasion of privacy. We repent for any actions/sins done or not done by any of us, and we ask for mercy, Lord. Help us Lord and direct our paths! In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- Better is the poor who walks in his integrity than one who is perverse in his lips, and is a fool. (Proverbs 19:1)
4.Bashed by liberals and the GOP, White House launches three-pronged defense strategy - Fox News
The White House is employing a trio of defense strategies as it confronts a deepening controversy over the government's secret harvesting of phone and Internet data.
The goal is fend off Republican attacks while calming the president's liberal base, which has loudly criticized the administration for embracing the same programs that George W. Bush did. (Read more)
- Lord, we fall before You and ask You to fully expose all the lies and deception for what it is that is being used by these leaders in these issues and in their 'defense' strategies. Let all citizens hear the truth, Lord, and awaken those who have been lulled into blindness and acceptance of distortions and half truths. Have mercy Lord, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall. (Proverbs 16:18)
5. Democratic senator calls for Holder to resign - Fox News
Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) said Friday he thinks Attorney General Eric Holder should resign in the wake of a series of scandals involving surveillance of reporters for Fox News and The Associated Press. Read more
- Father God, we agree with Senator Manchin: it is time for a decision to be made. The Attorney General, after a series of fiascos or at least, missteps, has lost the confidence of the majority of our people. Indeed, he may have even lied under oath, which in our nation is clearly against the law. Lord, we ask You to be in the midst of this issue and to bring forth Your truth and integrity, in Jesus' Name, we ask this prayer, amen and amen.
- An ungodly man digs up evil, and it is on his lips like a burning fire. (Prov. 16:27)
6. Paul: Take NSA Case to High Court - Fox News
Sen. Rand Paul says he wants to get enough signatures to file a class-action suit before the Supreme Court, and is appealing to younger computer-savvy Americans for help in challenging government's tracking of calls, emails. (Read more) (Read more)
- Abba Father, we ask You to keep Your hedge of protection fully around Rand Paul, his family and advisers. We have witnessed what can happen to people who challenge those in power and it is not good. We ask You Lord to rise up and be in the midst of this challenge against the massive invasion of so many citizen's rights and privacy. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- Do not envy the oppressor and choose none of his ways; for the perverse person is an abomination to the Lord, but His secret counsel is with the upright. (Proverbs 3:31-32)
7. Military told not to read Obama-scandal news - WND
WND has received an unclassified NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) that warns airmen not to look at news stories related to the data-mining scandal. . . During a press conference, the president dismissed what he called "hype" over the surveillance programs.
The latest news detailing how the government keeps track of this massive amount of data and its origins was posted by the Guardian, for everyone in the world to read, except members of the Air Force. (Read more)
- These unfolding scandals, and related news reports, just keep going from bad to worse. Now we see that our own men and women in uniform, while putting their very lives on the line for our freedom, are having their own freedoms curtailed by this latest mandate. Enough is enough! Pray without ceasing over this entire matter. It is time to draw a line in the sand, through the Blood of the Lamb, for our nation. Amen.
- Pray without ceasing . . . (I Thessalonians 5:17)
8. Beijing hits military jackpot with Obama invite - WorldNetDaily
They've developed a missile specifically designed to take out America's aircraft carriers. To the U.S., they talk peace through economic relations, while at home, war with the U.S. So why would the Obama administration give China access to THESE U.S. military secrets? (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, in reading this article it is apparent that China desires full control of the South China Sea so it can monopolize the mineral resources and energy sources located there. It also reports that China has a new weapon which can easily destroy aircraft carriers. Since the US is the nation who has the aircraft carriers and is the nation wanting full access to this area as well, it appears that confrontation on a violent level is what could easily erupt. Therefore, Lord, any cooperation in these naval exercises is questionable. Lord, we come before You and ask that US leaders be awakened to the true views coming from China. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death. (Proverbs 16:25)
U.S. - ISRAELI POLICY
U.S. - ISRAELI POLICY
"For, behold, darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon you."
(Isaiah 60:2 )
Every Monday each week, we will pause and take a careful look at the headlines that focus on U.S. - Israeli policy. Our regular "Middle East in Focus" will be published Tuesdays through Fridays.
- Obama UN Appointee in Highly Inflammatory Interview
- Report: US successfully tests bunker buster bombs
- Congressmen urge US to move embassy to Jerusalem
- Obama Renews Waiver Despite Bipartisan Call
- John Kerry's Fragile Peace Talks
- U.S. publishes details of missile base Israel wanted kept secret
1. Obama UN Appointee in Highly Inflammatory Interview
President Barack Obama's nominee for United States ambassador to the United Nations gave a highly anti-Israel interview in April 2002 in which she said that "external intervention" may be necessary to prevent "genocide" and "major human rights abuses" in the "Palestine/Israeli situation".
Responding to a hypothetical question, Samantha Power, who was named to replace ambassador Susan Rice, said if given the opportunity she would advise the president to sacrifice billions of dollars of aid to the Jewish state, allocating the funds instead to "the new state of Palestine."
"In the Palestine-Israeli situation, there's an abundance of information and what we don't need is some kind of early warning mechanism there," she said, in response to a question regarding how the United States should monitor a situation in the Middle East which may be "moving toward genocide." (INN) Read more.
Update: The Zionist Organization of America (ZOA) on Wednesday expressed opposition to President Barack Obama's nomination of Samantha Power for the post of U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations. To read their statement, go here.
- As a nominee to serve as the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, Samantha Powers will have to go before a Senate committee to be confirmed. We ask, O Lord, that only the witnesses of Your choosing would come before this Committee on behalf of this nominee, and that the history of her positioning related to Israel, in particular, would be carefully examined. We ask that this nominee be turned down, in Jesus' Name, amen. - "All the horns of the wicked I will also cut off, But the horns of the righteous shall be exalted." (Psalm 75:10)
2. Report: US successfully tests bunker buster bombs - Jerusalem Post
In an effort to show Israel and other ally states that it is capable of striking Iran's nuclear plants, the US has recently conducted a test of its bunker buster bomb, destroying a replica of an underground nuclear facility, Hebrew daily Yediot Aharonot reported on Friday. . . The results of the test were reported to the US's ally states, among them Israel, to show that Washington is serious about its intentions to strike Tehran's nuclear facilities, and to demonstrate its ability to specifically target Iran's underground Fordow uranium enrichment plant near the city of Qom.
At a joint news conference last week with German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle, US Secretary of State John Kerry said Iran needs to understand that international patience was waning over the nuclear program that Tehran says is meant for peaceful purposes. "Every month that goes by gets more dangerous," Kerry said. "The Iranian nuclear question remains critical to all of us," Kerry said. "We will continue to consult and to work very closely with Germany and all of our P5+1 partners on the next steps that are based on our dual-track approach."
US defense officials have recently assured their Israeli counterparts that cuts imposed at the beginning of the year to the American defense system will not affect preparations made towards a possible strike in Iran, Yediot reported. (Read more)
- Father, thank You that we are hearing a sense of urgency now concerning Iran. Continue to guide our officials as they make plans to handle this nuclear crisis. May all plans be executed according to your timetable. In Jesus Name.
- When the proper time has come [for executing My judgments], I will judge uprightly [says the Lord]. (Psalm 75: 2)
3. Congressmen urge US to move embassy to Jerusalem - The Jerusalem Connection
The heads of the bipartisan Congressional Israel Allies Caucus on Tuesday urged the Obama administration to move the US Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem. "We strongly believe that Jerusalem should be recognized as the capital of Israel with no waivers and no caveats," said Congressman Doug Lamborn, in an event on Capitol Hill Tuesday marking 46 years since the reunification of Jerusalem. "It is long overdue for the US government to relocate our embassy to Israel's capital, Jerusalem," said Congressman Brad Sherman, noting that the move was a "no brainer" because the location of the planned US Embassy in Jerusalem is in a part of the city which has been under Israeli sovereignty since 1948. (Read more)
- Yes, thank You Lord, for this urging to move the US embassy to Jerusalem. Grant this request, In Jesus Name. We stand in agreement that Jerusalem should be recognized as the capital of Israel.
- Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee. (Psalms 122:6)
4. Obama Renews Waiver Despite Bipartisan Call - The Jewish Press
On the same day as the bipartisan plea, President Obama once again sent his official memorandum to the secretary of state invoking the suspension of the 1995 U.S. law that requires this country to move the embassy to Jerusalem. Obama, as has every president since the law was passed, both Democrats and Republicans, claimed that the embassy cannot be moved to Jerusalem because to do so would endanger the national security interests of the United States.
"I hereby determine that it is necessary, in order to protect the national security interests of the United States, to suspend for a period of 6 months the limitations set forth in sections 3(b) and 7(b) of the Act." (Read more)
- Lord, we ask forgiveness for the renewing of this waiver that prevents the US from moving the embassy to Jerusalem. We repent of this action and ask Your mercy upon us. In Jesus Name.
- And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. (Micah 4:2)
5. John Kerry's Fragile Peace Talks
US Secretary of State John Kerry plans to return to Israel next week [of June 9] for another round of talks with Israeli and Palestinian officials. He also plans to visit Jordan as part of his initiatives to revive the peace process. He has deferred revealing his plan from the previously promised date of May 23.
"I am confident that both sides are weighing the choices that they have in front of them very, very seriously," Kerry told reporters this week.
Kerry has acknowledged hard decisions need to be made to end decades of conflict that will give Israel regional security and Palestinians an independent state. He has proposed to put political, security and economic components into a comprehensive framework.
However, Israel's Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon said on Monday [June 3] that as long as Palestinians incite their children against Israel there will be no real peace. "The crux of the matter is education in the Palestinian Authority, and if I open a PA textbook and see that Israel doesn't appear on the map, or that Tel Aviv is designated as a settlement, and when a three-year-old boy is brought up to admire suicide bombers-you can sign any agreement and in the end it will blow up in your face," Ya'alon said. (Bridges for Peace)
- True peace is found only in the Lord. Pray that Israel's leaders will look to Him and seek godly wisdom rather than agree to the plans of men.
- "Lead me, O Lord, in Your righteousness because of my enemies; make Your way straight before my face. For there is no faithfulness in their mouth . . ." (Psalm 5:8-9a)
6. U.S. publishes details of missile base Israel wanted kept secret- McClatchy
- Israel's military fumed Monday over the discovery that the U.S. government had revealed details of a top-secret Israeli military installation in published bid requests.
The Obama administration had promised to build Israel a state-of-the-art facility to house a new ballistic-missile defense system, the Arrow 3. As with all Defense Department projects, detailed specifications were made public so that contractors could bid on the $25 million project. The specifications included more than 1,000 pages of details on the facility, ranging from the heating and cooling systems to the thickness of the walls.
"If an enemy of Israel wanted to launch an attack against a facility, this would give him an easy how-to guide. This type of information is closely guarded and its release can jeopardize the entire facility," said an Israeli military official who commented on the publication of the proposal but declined to be named because he wasn't authorized to discuss the facility. He declined to say whether plans for the facility have been altered as a result of the disclosure.
"This is more than worrying, it is shocking," he said. (Read More)
- Father, we ask that You will choose the American contractor that has an allegiance to Israel who will not divulge any further details regarding the construction of this military installation. We call out to the Lord God of Israel to protect them from their enemies and overshadow this project with Your cloud of glory by day, and Your fire of protection by night during the construction of this facility, and forever. May the U.S. government repent of the sin of betrayal, which is especially applicable since Israel has done no wrong. Protect America that we as a country will not fall prey to the affects of reaping this sin. In Jesus' Name.
- "But the Lord is the true God of truth, He is the living God, and an everlasting king of eternity: at His wrath the earth shall tremble, and the nations shall not be able to abide His indignation." (Jeremiah 10:10)
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
" . . . when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Corinthians 12:10b)
1. Advocates Petition Obama to Promote Human Rights at the Ongoing U.S.-China Summit - AsiaNews
The relatives of a group of prisoners in China are asking President Barack Obama to press Xi Jinping to release 16 prisoners. They demand that human rights take priority in the dialogue between the two presidents.
Xi Jinping arrived yesterday evening in California where he will meet with Obama in a secluded ranch, away from the crowds, to speak "in his shirt sleeves," in short, informally, of collaboration between China and the United States and build a relationship of trust between the two.
"This summit is not only about personal friendship building. It's a summit between the presidents of two countries and they should have a purpose to build a more just society," says Chen Guangcheng, a blind activist who fled last year to the United States after years of persecution by the regime. "Obama - he added - should stop the trade-centered diplomacy and instead make it a human rights-centered diplomacy."
2. First Church Built in Egypt Under Morsi Gets Presidential Decree - Mideast Christian News
Mohamed Abu Hamid, former Egyptian Member of Parliament, said that the Muslim Brotherhood is trying to placate the Egyptian people after a series of public demonstrations called on citizens to overthrow the regime.
Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi issued a decision to build a church as an attempt to settle the unrest. But Abu Hamid stressed that the decision does not change the fact that the Brotherhood's regime is sectarian and has been proven to be a first-class sectarian regime since Morsi's inauguration.
President Mohamed Morsi recently issued a decree for building St. Peter and St. Paul's Church in the New Nubaria City in Beheira Governorate [northern Egypt], on an area of 300 square meters. It is the first decision for building a church after Morsi took office in June 2012.
3. Pastors Targeted for Brutal Attack in India - Worthy News
Twenty Baptist pastors have been attacked by suspected Hindu militants in southeastern India and several church leaders required hospital treatment for severe injuries, representatives said Friday, June 7.
The All India Christian Council (AICC), which represents churches and mission groups, said the victims were from the Telugu Baptist Church who gathered for their monthly prayer meeting Tuesday, June 4, in the town of Maheshwaram Mandal, in the Indian state of Hyderabad.
About 50 followers of Hindu group Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh or 'National Volunteer Organization' (RSS) stormed the gathering and "brutally attacked" the pastors "with sticks and rods causing dreadful injuries" and verbally abused them, AICC added in a statement seen by BosNewsLife.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
The Madison Report
The Madison Report
Week of June 10 - 14, 2013
Fellow conservative patriots,
As the Obama administration is embroiled in scandal after scandal, Republicans in the Senate - led by Minority Leader Mitch McConnell - are on the cusp of letting Obama off the hook. They plan to roll over and pass the Gang of Eight amnesty bill, which could possibly be the most destructive piece of legislation of this presidency. The next three weeks will make or break the amnesty bill, and by extension, the future of our country. There are other issues that will be considered, such as the National Defense Authorization Act and a rewrite of No Child Left Behind, but our focus must turn to this immigration travesty.
The Honorable Jim Ryun
Chairman of The Madison Project
On Tuesday afternoon, Majority Leader Harry Reid plans to bring the amnesty/immigration deform bill (S.744) to the floor for the first procedural vote - cloture on motion to proceed with debate. Harry Reid can probably count on all 54 Democrats voting for cloture, with the possible exception of Mark Pryor (AR). In a sane world, Senate Republicans would all vote against the motion (even assuming we lose the 4 GOP Gang of Eight members plus Susan Collins and Kelly Ayotte), and this national nightmare would be over. They would recognize that the bill is beyond fatally flawed and cannot (or will not) be salvaged by proceeding to debate with the amendment process. They would demand that Obama implement the current laws on the books before discussing any amnesty and repeating the mistakes of 1986.
Unfortunately, the GOP leadership in the Senate is also fatally flawed. Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and Minority Whip John Cornyn have announced their plans to vote for cloture, all but ensuring that at least 15 more Republicans join them in sealing the fate of this bill. Obviously, it is still important for Republicans to pressure their members into voting no. The lower the number of no votes is on the first vote, the more momentum it will give to the proponents of amnesty.
Most of the first week will be consumed by opening statements and speeches from individual members. However, towards the end of the week, we will begin to take up amendments.
. . . Punchline: Sadly, it is very difficult to foresee a scenario in which a bill fails to pass the Senate before the July 4th weekend. No matter how successfully we expose the duplicity and danger involved in this legislation, there are at least 60 members who couldn't care less. However, it is still important that we keep the numbers down, as evidenced by Schumer's desire for a super-majority. Conservatives must stifle the temptation to focus their attention solely on the scandals, and make a concerted effort to pressure the GOP members against this travesty. Here are some key members to call:
Barrasso, Cochran, Wicker, Heller, Hoeven, Johanns, Johnson, Moran, Roberts, Paul, Ayotte, Blunt, Fisher, Toomey, Portman, Collins, Hatch, Corker and Crapo.
The unifying theme among conservatives - whether you believe in no amnesty or amnesty at the right time - must be 'enforcement first.' Marco Rubio has already admitted that any final deal will be predicated on legalization first. Hence, there is nothing more to debate. This behemoth must be defeated.
The Daily Jot
White House coup: So, what's the big deal?
You have nothing to hide, right? So what is the big deal with the government's nationwide spy network knowing your every move, able to listen to your phone conversations, watch you on your property, see what you do on the roads, watch you at traffic lights, know your buying habits? This government is using the threat and fear of terrorism to justify spying on you as if you are an enemy of the state. This is no different than Communist China or Soviet Russia or Shiite Iran or Nazi Germany. Except it is in America. And Americans do things a lot better. You will be appalled to find the information this government has on you as these stories unfold. But, hey, let's go about our business. We have nothing to hide.
Whatever your opinion of radio commentator Rush Limbaugh, on Friday, June 7, he made some remarks worth contemplating. He said, "There are just way too many people -- and I'm talking about on our side -- who do not want to admit what we face, who do not want to engage or admit or whatever what we really face here. It matters. This kind of stuff matters because of who the people doing it happen to be...clearly there's a coup d'etat going. You know it and I know it. This is what animates us. This is why the Tea Party exists. This country was founded on certain concepts, principles, beliefs -- and they're under assault."
He continued, "Chief among them under assault is the right to privacy, and that's what all this is about...There are people attempting to take over this country and to make it something that it wasn't founded as; turn it into something that it wasn't intended to be. That is happening. You know it and I know it. It's peaceful, nonviolent. The military isn't involved. But nevertheless it's a coup. So in the context of that and the realization that's happening, in the midst of learning that the National Security Agency is literally "Hoovering," vacuuming every telephone record they can, what do we hear?" He says the government shouts over and over again, "Nothing to see hear. Calm down. There is nothing to get concerned about."
Rush has finally concluded what The Daily Jot wrote about on June 2, 2009--four years ago--that the government and this White House "ignore the will of the people and continue their coup against the Constitution and the people." It's not that you have nothing to hide. It's what they can do with the information for evil purposes--to frame you, to destroy your life, to hold you hostage to their agenda. And that is exactly what is happening and will continue to happen if we do not put a stop to it. You are no longer safe and secure in your own home. The government sees you as a possible enemy, by lumping you in with terrorists. My friend, the coup has already happened. As Jesus said in Matthew 24:4, "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
A Special Notice from FRC!
FRC to Host Webcast Lecture on Testimony of Former Lesbian
June 10, 2013
WASHINGTON, D.C. - Family Research Council (FRC) will host a family policy lecture at noon Eastern on Wednesday, June 12, by Dr. Rosaria Champagne Butterfield.
Dr. Butterfield, a former lesbian who taught at Syracuse University, will share the story of how she came to faith in Christ and how it has changed her life. She will also discuss ways to graciously address difficult questions regarding sexuality with friends, family members and neighbors.
Before turning to Christ, Dr. Butterfield perceived the Christian faith to be hateful and dark with judgment. Her presuppositions were challenged by the letter of a local pastor, who asked her to explain her perceptions. As Dr. Butterfield pondered the deep questions she had been asked, the Truth began to soften her heart and change her life.
Dr. Butterfield holds a Ph.D. in English Literature and Cultural Studies from Ohio State University. She is the author of a Christian memoir, The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert: An English Professor's Journey into Christian Faith (Crown and Covenant Publications, 2012). She is currently working on two new books, one to discuss Biblical sexuality and the other Biblical hospitality.
Dr. Butterfield taught in the English Department and Women's Studies Program at Syracuse University until 1998, the year she was nominated for tenure. She left Syracuse in 1999 and taught at Geneva College after her conversion to Christianity. She is married to Reverend Kent C. Butterfield, pastor of the First Reformed Presbyterian Church of Durham. They reside in Durham, North Carolina with two of their four children.
WHO: Dr. Rosaria Champagne Butterfield, professor and author
WHAT: Family policy lecture: "An Unlikely Convert: A Former Lesbian Professor's Journey to Faith"
WHERE: Online: go here.
WHEN:12 p.m. Eastern, Wednesday, June 12
Most representatives and senators will be figuring out this week what they think about the massive domestic surveillance program revealed through leaked documents reported in the Guardian last week.
They're sitting on the sidelines, listening to the advocates on both sides, and they'll come forward when they see which way the wind is blowing strongest.
Oh-you know who else they'll be listening to? You. . . and we don't mean listening in on your calls. You have to phone them.
The number for the Capitol switchboard is (202) 224-3121. You can call right now. And say your piece.
The story continues to unfold, but it's fairly clear that the government is requiring all the major telephone companies to turn over data about every call made in the United States or from within the United States to a foreign country. That data isn't the content of your conversations, but the date and time of the call, who called who, how long each call continued, and the location of the callers. Washingtonian magazine national security writer Shane Harris says that this data "can be more useful than the words spoken on the phone call."
There were other releases last week. One showed that the National Security Agency has a program called "PRISM," which accesses information from major Internet service providers, including Microsoft, Apple, Google and Yahoo!. A third showed that President Obama has ordered cyberattack plans to be drawn up. The leaker of the information came forward on Sunday. He's Edward Snowden, who until recently worked for a contractor to the NSA.
Defenders of the call collection program point out that it is authorized by law. Congress permitted it under the USA-PATRIOT Act. A secret court approves the collection of this data, and Congress reauthorized that secret court just last December-you can see the votes on the page for the FISA Amendments Act Reauthorization Act of 2012. And they say there are many protections in place to appropriately protect privacy and civil liberties. Abuses like those that surfaced in the IRS scandal won't happen with this information.
There are many more dimensions to the debate, but chances are you already know what you think. Your job is to make up your representatives' minds. They can't know what you think unless they hear from you. Make that call now. That call will go on your permanent record, but it's probably worth it. (WashingtonWatch.com) (Read more)
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Miracle Survivor, the 14th Person Pulled Alive Overnight from Philly Building Collapse
Over 12 hours after a four-story building came crashing down on top of a Salvation Army Thrift Shop in Center City, Philadelphia on Wednesday morning, a 14th survivor was miraculously pulled alive from the rubble.
Sixty-One-year-old Myra Plekam, was said to be talking with rescuers prior to being rushed to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
Plekam is reportedly in critical condition. (Reported by: Breaking Christian News; Thursday, June 6, 2013)
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are!
Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
I See You
And You take my hand (And You take my hand)
And You wash it clean (And You wash it clean)
I know the promised land (I know the promised land)
Is light years ahead of me (Is light years ahead of me)