Today we are rejoicing with all of you at the news of the release of Pastor Youcef Nadarkhani, who had been held in prison in Iran for three years. Praise our Lord who is faithful to deliver His own!
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"Partners in Prayer for the Nation"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
On Capitol Hill This Week Volume XIX, Number 22a
September 10 - 14, 2012
"Fear not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD . . ." (Exodus 14:13)
News from Israel
News from Israel
- NETANYAHU: WORLD HAS YET TO SET RED LINE ON IRAN
- CONGRESSMAN CONFIRMS HIGH-LEVEL U.S.-ISRAEL SPAT OVER IRAN
- 'NEXT 50 DAYS MOST FATEFUL SINCE YOM KIPPUR WAR' - HANEGBI
- PM MAY MOVE IRAN DISCUSSIONS TO COMPACT FORUM TO STIFLE LEAKS
- EGYPT CONFRONTS ISRAEL WITH 6,000 SINAI ISLAMISTS AS AN APPROVED MILITIA
- TWO ATTEMPTS TO ATTACK ISRAEL FROM GAZA
- CHEMICAL THREAT IS BACK. HIZBALLAH, ISRAEL CLOSE TO CLASH
- ISRAEL ASKS GREECE, CYPRUS TO STEP UP SECURITY AROUND ISRAELIS
- CISTERN DATED TO FIRST TEMPLE PERIOD FOUND IN JERUSALEM
- NYPD OPENS BRANCH IN ISRAEL
1. NETANYAHU: WORLD HAS YET TO SET RED LINE ON IRAN
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu continued to slam the Western powers, chief of which is the United States, over their lack of efforts to delay Tehran's nuclear program. "Until Iran doesn't see a red line, it will not stop the program. Iran must not be allowed to have nuclear weapons," he said at the opening of the weekly cabinet meeting, but this time openly hinted at the possibility of an Israeli strike on the Islamic Republic.
"Last week, 120 countries gathered in Tehran and heard the Iranian leader's slanderous anti-Semitic statements against Israel. No one got up and left the auditorium," Netanyahu said. "This becomes even more serious in light of the International Atomic Energy Agency [IAEA] report which confirmed what I've been saying for a long time: Sanctions may be a burden but they do not delay the progress of the nuclear program." the prime minister added. According to Netanyahu: "The Iranians are taking advantage of the talks in order to gain time and advance their nuclear program. You need to tell it like it is; the international community has not set a clear red line, Iran doesn't see enough determination to stop its nuclear program."
As US-Israel tensions mount over the possibility of an Israeli strike on Iran's nuclear facilities, Netanyahu's ministers expressed criticism of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff. General Martin Dempsey said that he did not wish to be complicit in an Israeli strike and warned of its consequences. "We certainly didn't like his statements," said Environment Protection Minister Gilad Erdan. "Dempsey's comments don't compute with statements made by the White House spokesman with regards to the strength of the relationship between Israel and the US," he added. "Israel needs to maintain its right to defend itself; it is the right thing to do, and Israel will not place its security in the hands of others."
Commenting on the reduction in the troop deployment for the joint US-Israel military drill next month, Erdan noted that "the reduction stems from the US' internal considerations. This is no signal from the US. This is still the biggest drill ever to be held between the US and Israel." Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz also addressed Dempsey's statements: "I really didn't understand his statements; the wording was unfortunate. The strategic relations and defense ties are as strong as ever, the cooperation is good, and my contacts in the US haven't heard of any unprecedented crisis." (By Attila Somfalvi, Ynetnews, September 2, 2012)
- Pray that the leaders of the free world will set clear boundaries for the nation of Iran. Pray that they will also make very clear what the consequences will be if they overstep these boundaries.
- "Therefore all those who devour you shall be devoured; and all your adversaries, every one of them, shall go into captivity; those who plunder you shall become plunder, and all who prey upon you I will make a prey." (Jeremiah 30:16)
[Reported by BFP: Bridges for Peace]
2. CONGRESSMAN CONFIRMS HIGH-LEVEL U.S.-ISRAEL SPAT OVER IRAN
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu blew up at the U.S. ambassador last month because he was "at wit's end" over what he sees as the Obama administration's lack of clarity on Iran's nuclear program, a U.S. congressman who was at the meeting said.
House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers, a Republican, made his first public comments about the late August meeting in Israel in an interview with Michigan's WJR radio on Tuesday. His disclosure comes only hours before President Barack Obama will be at the Democratic National Convention to accept the party's nomination as its candidate in the November election, in which the level of the Obama administration's support for Israel has become a contentious topic. "Right now the Israelis don't believe that this administration is serious when they say all options are on the table, and more importantly neither do the Iranians. That's why the program is progressing," Rogers said.
Iran says its nuclear program is for peaceful energy purposes. Israel is facing growing international pressure not to unilaterally attack Iran's nuclear infrastructure and the United States has made clear it opposes any such strike.
Rogers said if the United States does not show Israel more clarity on where it draws "red lines" on Iran's nuclear program, then Israel might conduct a strike. "If I were betting my house today, I would guess that they probably will do it if we don't have a change in more clear red lines from the United States," he said. Rogers said the Israeli and U.S. timelines differed on how quickly Iran could put a nuclear weapon on a missile, if it decided to move in that direction.
Netanyahu believes "if they decide to do the dash it could be four weeks to eight weeks," while U.S. intelligence analysts believe it would "take a little longer than that," Rogers said. "But the problem is nobody really knows for sure." (Newsmax)
- Lord, we know that Your promises are sure, and You watch over Your Word to perform it. You have told us to bless Israel, and not curse her; and that You would bless those nations that bless Israel, and curse the nations that curse Israel; and that all the nations would be judged according to their treatment of Israel. We thank You that it was our President Roosevelt in the 40's who first recognized the new state of Israel, and we have been blessing her ever since, and have been blessed as a result. We pray, Lord, that as a nation, we would not turn against her, lest You turn against us as a nation. May You, Who put kings on thrones, and take them down off their thrones, give us a "king" after Your own heart, like David. May we stand with Israel and always bless her, we pray. Amen.
- "I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land." (Joel 3:1,2)
3. 'NEXT 50 DAYS MOST FATEFUL SINCE YOM KIPPUR WAR' - HANEGBI
Former Head of Knesset's Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee, Tzachi Hanegbi, hints at timetable for Iran attack. We now stand, in my opinion, before the 50 most fateful days in Israel's history, since perhaps the Yom Kippur War, in which there were also several dozen fateful days."
So said the former Head of Knesset's Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee, Tzachi Hanegbi, at a closed meeting of Likud activists in Yafo. A recording of his speech reached daily newspaper Makon Rishon's reporter, Ze'ev Kam. "The prime minister will have to make decisions that will bear a price tag. Allowing Iranian nuclear weapons has a price tag. The practical result will be a nuclear arms race in the entire Middle East," he explained. "Today, when we say that we understand the danger of the Iranian threat, and understand that a confrontation bears a price, it is because we want to prevent our sons and grandson from paying unbearable prices," he said.
Hanegbi, who left Likud for Kadima and is now back in Likud, called on the activists to support Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu and to "allow him quiet" and "strengthen his legitimacy" so that he can take the necessary decisions calmly.
- Lord Jesus, it appears that time is running out for Israel as to stopping Iran from having nuclear weapons, with all that implies for all of us. May the Israeli Likud activist hear what Tzachi Hanegbi is advising. We ask in the Name of Jesus that You rise up and surround PM Binyamin Netanyahu with Your Light and Glory so that he clearly understands Your will and directions for this time, Amen and Amen.
- Vindicate me, O God, and plead my cause against an ungodly nation; oh deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man! Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God. (Psalm 45: 1 & 5)
4. PM MAY MOVE IRAN DISCUSSIONS TO COMPACT FORUM TO STIFLE LEAKS
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is mulling moving any future discussions about Iran to a much smaller forum of confidants rather than the sizable Political-Security Cabinet, according to well-placed sources. The move follows Netanyahu's decision Wednesday to adjourn the annual Political-Security Cabinet meeting on intelligence matters due to leaks to the media from the previous day's session of the meeting. Political sources, some of them close to the prime minister, said that Netanyahu was considering making all those who participated in Tuesday's meeting at Mossad headquarters, including all the ministers, undergo a lie detector test in an attempt to find the source of the leak. One source said that the prime minister was seeking legal counsel on the matter.
Discussions were set to continue on Wednesday, but when the ministers convened at the Prime Minister's Office in Jerusalem, Netanyahu immediately adjourned the meeting because of the leaks. The prime minister said whoever behind the leak "violated the most basic rules regarding the conduct of Political-Security Cabinet discussions. He also hurt the good name of those present at the meeting who did not leak its contents."
Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman on Wednesday advised Netanyahu to disband the Political-Security Cabinet and in its place set up a much smaller forum for sensitive discussions, with no more than eight members. His office clarified that this had been Lieberman's position for some time, as part of his recommendations for government reform.
Energy and Water Minister Uzi Landau (Yisrael Beytenu) backed lie detector tests for the senior officials. "The prime minister took the correct decision. These leaks, which happen time and time again, damage Israel's security," he said.
Improvement of Government Services Minister Michael Eitan (Likud) also called for a more limited forum to deal with the Iranian threat, saying, "The government should give this body the power to make decisions independently. The failure of the Security Cabinet to keep secrets illustrates that a government of 29 ministers also won't manage to hold consultations without leaking."
- Abba Father, we come before You in repentance for those in leadership who endangered their nation by these security leaks. We bind the spirits of dishonesty and lawlessness which arose, and we loose Your integrity and truth into this situation, so security can be established again, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- A perverse man sows strife, and a whisperer separates the best of friends.(Proverbs 16:28) He who guards his mouth preserves his life, but he who pens wide his lips shall have destruction. (Proverbs13:3)
5. EGYPT CONFRONTS ISRAEL WITH 6,000 SINAI ISLAMISTS AS AN APPROVED MILITIA
To keep the truce with the Islamist terrorist networks in Sinai in place, while avoiding a large-scale military operation to suppress them, Egypt is now releasing dozens of jailed Salafist gunmen in batches every few days, so feeding the Islamists a steady supply of reinforcements. Cairo is also in negotiation with Bedouin tribal elders to grant a body of 6,000 Al-Qaeda-linked Salafi gunmen the status of an approved, independent militia. Armed with up-to-date Egyptian weapons, this militia is to be charged with responsibility for maintaining security in the peninsula.
This may be a neat way out for Egypt and let the Morsi government off the hook of grappling with the violent Islamist networks infesting Sinai. But it leaves Israel squarely face to face with a whole new terrorist outfit which has the freedom to choose between operating in the service of Al Qaeda or Cairo - or playing both sides. Israeli security circles on the southern front familiar with the Sinai security situation explain that the Egyptian army's claim Monday, Sept. 3 that it pulled "another 20 tanks" out of the peninsula, marking the tail end of its putative counter-terror military offensive, was therefore the reverse of welcome news for Israel.
All the same, out of certain diplomatic considerations, Israelis officials are collaborating with the US and Egypt in drawing a veil over this dangerous downturn in security along its southwestern border.
As he spoke, Egyptian spokesmen claimed the tanks, illegally deployed in breach of the peace treaty with Israel, were being withdrawn at the end of a "successful military offensive" to root out the terrorists. This statement, say debkafile's counter-terror sources, contains at least two untruths: The tanks were falsely presented as backing a fictitious Egyptian operation, just as the Cairo communiqué pretended that large numbers of terrorists were killed and wounded "in action" or detained.
There were no terrorist casualties because the entire operation was made of whole cloth, a Sinai desert mirage.
Our military sources report this strip has been dubbed "The American Highway" of Sinai, because its 260 kilometers were paved in secret by US military engineers. It runs from the MFO peacekeepers' Mediterranean base at Sheikh Zuweid in northern Sinai down to Taba, providing a safe route for the peacekeepers, most of them members of the US 82nd Airborne Division, between their northern base and their headquarters at Sharm el-Sheikh. Large sections of the American Highway run parallel to Israel's Route 12 from Nitzana to Eilat, Israel's southernmost town.
Egypt no doubt intended this buffer strip to serve additionally for keeping terrorists at a distance from its border with Israel. But IDF observers in that area see very little Egyptian military activity for keeping it sterile and closed to hostile movements. Once the Salafis are organized in a militia and formally recognized as such by Cairo, it will be that much harder to keep them from breaching the buffer strip abutting the Israeli border.
- O Heavenly Father, we come before You to seek Your intervention in the Sinai situation. What is happening in the Sinai by the Egyptian release of Salafist gunmen is causing Israel to be confronted in its' southern borders with enemies and their threats, whose loyalty may be either with Egypt or with Al Qaeda, or by playing these 2 sides against each other. We fall before You, Lord, and ask You to direct Israel's leaders how to respond and prepare so they may protect Your special land Israel, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye. (Psalm 32:8) - The violence of the wicked will destroy them, because they refuse to do justice.(Proverbs 21:7)
6. TWO ATTEMPTS TO ATTACK ISRAEL FROM GAZA
On Thursday morning [September 6], Israel Defense Forces [IDF] soldiers targeted a terrorist squad that was planting an explosive device near the security fence in the northern Gaza Strip. A hit was confirmed. The squad was targeted by IAF aircraft, Armored Corps, and Infantry soldiers.
On Wednesday evening, IAF aircraft targeted a terrorist squad in the central Gaza Strip during final preparations to fire rockets at Israel. A hit was confirmed. The squad was involved in previous rocket launches at communities located in southern Israel. Over 450 rockets have hit Israel since the beginning of 2012.
The IDF will not tolerate any attempt by terrorist groups to target Israeli civilians and IDF soldiers and will continue to operate against those who use terror against the State of Israel. The Hamas terror organization is solely responsible for any terrorist activity emanating from the Gaza Strip. (From articles by Israel Defense Forces, September 6, 2012)
- Thank the Lord for the protection that the Israel Defense Forces and the Air Force provide. Pray that God will keep Israel safe on all its borders.
- "Be exalted, O God, above the heavens, and Your glory above all the earth; that Your beloved may be delivered, save with Your right hand, and hear me." (Psalm 108:5-6)
[Reported by BFP: Bridges for Peace]
7. CHEMICAL THREAT IS BACK. HIZBALLAH, ISRAEL CLOSE TO CLASH
The first US-Turkish backed steps for creating safe havens in Syria and possible strategic bombardment of the Syrian army have brought the Middle East close to two dangerous junctures: The Syrian army's use of chemical weapons, and an outbreak of hostilities between Hizballah and Israel, debkafile's military sources report. The creeping Western involvement in the Syrian conflict was not previously acknowledged and the Lebanese Shiite Hizballah rarely figured publicly as a fighting prop of the Assad regime.
That is until the dam burst Friday and Saturday, Sept 7-8. The United States then admitted that US officials and intelligence agents were training and aiding Syrian rebels from positions on the Turkish border - and therefore directly intervening in their operations. This admission came on the heels of the debkafile disclosure of Sept. 6 that Turkish officers backed by US agents had taken command of two Syrian rebel brigades. French and British foreign ministers attending a European Union meeting in Cyprus called Friday night for sanctions against Hizballah, meaning that mounting Western pressure on Assad has been extended to his Lebanese ally.
But the big event thus portended is still to come. It will now be up to the Syrian rebels, backed and steered by a US-led Arab-Western-European-Turkish coalition, to fight for the safe haven, purge it of forces and militias loyal to Assad and expand it for control of large tracts of territory in eastern and western Syria.
This rush of events may bring closer to reality the action feared most by Western powers, Israel, Turkey and Jordan that, as his enemies close in, Assad will bring out his chemical and biological weapons. Consciousness of this approaching threat led Washington sources to disclose Friday that Syria's chemical arsenal was bigger and more widely scattered than suspected hitherto. It was also an admission that Washington was no longer fully apprised of the scale of this arsenal or its locations. Last week, Israeli media were too preoccupied with the likelihood of war with Iran to notice that Israel and Hizballah had moved up to the brink of a major clash. The war alert declared by Israel's armed forces in mid-week had only partly eased by Saturday.
- We fall before You, Lord, pleading for mercy and protection from this escalating nightmare as to the use of chemical and biological weapons against Israel by Assad's Syrian forces along with Hizballah forces. Have mercy Lord, and rise up like a flood against these threats, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- Call upon Me in the day of trouble, I will deliver you and you shall glorify Me. Whoever offers praise glorifies Me; and to him who orders his conduct aright I will show the salvation of God.(Psalm 50:15 & 23)
8. ISRAEL ASKS GREECE, CYPRUS TO STEP UP SECURITY AROUND ISRAELIS
The Counter Terrorism Bureau [CTB] has recently asked security and government authorities in Greece, Cyprus, Bulgaria, and Thailand to step up visible and undercover security around Israeli tourists. The terror campaign didn't stop in Burgas," sources at the CTB said Wednesday [September 5], adding that there had been no preliminary warning ahead of the Burgas attack. They noted that there has been no alert for another attack and therefore no travel advisory has been issued. Cyprus and Greece, too, have not been issued with travel advisories. But Israel is warning travelers to avoid going to Turkey and Azerbaijan as well as a number of African countries including Nigeria and Kenya. The CTB has also called on Israelis to avoid traveling to Sinai following an urgent alert on an abduction attack.
Thousands of Israelis still choose Sinai as their holiday destination, including several dozen Jews, according to the CTB. The Sinai advisory stated that Gaza terrorists and other elements continue to work towards "carrying out attacks, mainly abductions, against Israelis in Sinai in the near future."
Israeli defense officials are also monitoring the investigation being conducted by Bulgarian security forces into the Burgas attack. Bulgaria has beefed up security around Israeli tourists, they said, but not to the required level. The CTB made it clear to Bulgarian authorities that the fact that a terror attack had already taken place in Bulgaria does not a guarantee that an additional attack would not take place there again. The CTB stressed that it was very important on a diplomatic level that the Bulgarian investigation points to Hezbollah as being directly responsible for the attack. Such a declaration could lead to Hezbollah being declared as a terrorist organization, a step the European Union still refuses to take.
"We have been working hard this past year to foil terrorist attacks," sources at the CTB said. "We have also asked Thai authorities to pay particular attention to concentrations of Israelis and have also asked the help of travel agents on the matter, though they are not responsible for tourists' safety." (By Yoav Zitun, Ynetnews, September 5, 2012)
- Pray for the safety of Israelis that travel, whether for business or pleasure, outside of the State of Israel. Pray that Greece and Cyprus will increase security and work with the Israeli government to prevent any tragedies on foreign soil.
-"Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, 'This is the way, walk in it,' whenever you turn to the right hand or whenever you turn to the left." (Isaiah 30:21)
[Reported by BFP: Bridges for Peace]
9. CISTERN DATED TO FIRST TEMPLE PERIOD FOUND IN JERUSALEM
Archaeologists have discovered a large public cistern from the time of the First Temple in Jerusalem's Old City, the Israel Antiquities Authority said Thursday, offering new insight into the city's water supply more than 2,500 years ago.
The cistern, which held 250 cubic meters of water, was discovered adjacent to the western side of the Temple Mount during an ongoing excavation at the site, the IAA said in a statement.
The discovery shows that the city's water supply at the time did not rely solely on the Gihon Spring, Jerusalem's only natural water source, but rather included large man-made reservoirs of the kind now uncovered, according to the IAA. The unique size of the cistern - the largest of its time to be discovered in the city - and its location suggest the possibility that it played a part in the ritual activities at the Temple, according to archaeologist Tsvika Tsuk of the Israel Nature and Parks Authority.
Construction of the Second Temple commenced some 50 years later. The Temple Mount as it currently exists dates to an expansion and renovation of the compound by Herod the Great five centuries after that, about 2,000 years ago.
- Thank you, Lord Jesus, for discoveries that explain and affirm the ancient Jewish history - and life in the land of Israel - and especially the city of Jerusalem. May more people in the world truly hear and learn that this is the ancient long term homeland for the Jewish people, and that they have the legitimate claim to return and live there, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- Bless the Lord, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless His Holy Name! (Psalm 103:1) The Lord bless you out of Zion, and may you see the good of Jerusalem all the days of your life.(Psalm 125:5)
10. NYPD OPENS BRANCH IN ISRAEL
The New York Police Department opened its Israeli branch in the Sharon District Police headquarters in Kfar Saba. Charlie Ben-Naim, a former Israeli and veteran NYPD detective, was sent on this mission. You don't have to fly to New York to meet members of the police department considered to be the best in the world - all you have to do is make the short trip to the Kfar Saba police station in the Sharon, where the NYPD opened a local branch. Behind the opening of the branch in the Holy Land is the NYPD decision that the Israeli police is one of the major police forces with which it must maintain close work relations and daily contact.
Ben-Naim was chosen for the mission of opening the NYPD branch in Israel. He is a veteran detective of the NYPD and a former Israeli who went to study in New York, married a local city resident and then joined the local police force. Among the things he has dealt with in the line of duty are the extradition of criminals, the transmitting of intelligence information and assistance in the location of missing persons, both in the United States and in Israel.
It was decided, in coordination with the Israeli police, that the New York representative would not operate out of the United States embassy but from a building of the Sharon District Police headquarters, situated close to the Kfar Sava station. The NYPD sign was even hung at the entrance to the district head- quarters, and Ben-Naim's office is situated on the first floor of the building. One of the walls bears the sign: "New York Police Department, the best police department in the world."
Summary: In what might be seen as "mission creep," the New York Police Department has opened an office in Israel, giving the Big Apple's force about a dozen international outposts. One officer has been assigned to work closely with Israeli police, reports Avi Ashkenazi.
- O Heavenly Father, we come before You on Your throne as we do not understand all that is being done here. We ask You to release Your Light into this situation, and expose anything that is of darkness and in the enemy's plan for evilness. May You, Lord, pour forth discernment and wisdom into the Israeli police as to how You would have them handle this working relationship, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- It is a joy for the just to do justice, but destruction will come to the workers of iniquity.(Proverbs 21:15) God is a just judge, and God is angry with the wicked every day. (Psalm 7:11)
More International News
More International News
- CHRISTIAN PASTOR JAILED IN IRAN FOR 3 YEARS IS FREED, WATCHDOG GROUP SAYS
- AHMADINEJAD TO ADDRESS U.N. ON YOM KIPPUR
- CANADA CLOSES EMBASSY IN IRAN, EXPELS IRANIAN DIPLOMATS
- EGYPT SYNAGOGUE TO STAY EMPTY ON YOM KIPPUR
- TURKISH OFFICERS TAKE COMMAND OF SYRIAN REBEL BRIGADES. N. ISRAEL ON ALERT
- APEC SUMMIT: CLINTON SAYS US WANTS BETTER RUSSIA TRADE TIES
1. CHRISTIAN PASTOR JAILED IN IRAN FOR 3 YEARS IS FREED, WATCHDOG GROUP SAYS
Iranian Pastor Youcef Nadarkhani, who was originally sentenced to death in his native country for his Christian faith, was acquitted of apostasy charges and released from custody.
Nadarkhani, 32, was imprisoned for three years and waiting execution for refusing to renounce his Christian faith. His charges were lowered to evangelizing to Muslims, which carried a three-year sentence. He was released with time served, according to the American Center for Law and Justice, a Washington-based watchdog group that had been campaigning for the pastor's release.
"Today our sources in Iran reported that Pastor Youcef was acquitted of apostasy and released from prison. After languishing in prison for almost three years, he has been reunited with his family," Jordan Sekulow, executive director of ACLJ said in a statement to FoxNews.com. "While we are working on confirming the exact details of his release, some sources report that the court alternatively convicted Pastor Youcef of evangelizing to Muslims, sentencing him to three years and granting him time served. Pastor Youcef's story is an example of how the world can join together to ensure that justice is served and freedom preserved."
Nadarkhani was originally called to Saturday's hearing to answer to "charges brought against him," leading to speculation that the new charges from the Iranian Supreme Court could be for a security-based crime, a charge often handed down to cover-up prisoners being held and sentenced on faith-based charges.
"While we praise the release of Pastor Youcef, we must recognize that Iran felt obligated to save face among its people and continue its pattern of suppressing religious freedom with intimidation tactics," Tiffany Barrans, a legal director for ACLJ said to FoxNews.com.
"International attention to this matter saved this man's life, but we must not forget the human right of freedom of religion includes the right to freedom of expression."
Nadarkhani's attorney, who also has been jailed, maintained that the married father of two faced execution because he refused to renounce his religion. An Iranian diplomat told a United Nations panel earlier this year that Nadarkhani would not be executed.
According to Sharia law, an apostate has three days to recant. The pastor refused to do so and sources close to the matter say executions in Iran can happen at any time, often without notice. The court is reportedly seeking the opinion of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, the Islamic republic's spiritual leader and highest authority, according to AFP.
The ACLJ worked with the State Department to try to win Nadarkhani's freedom, and the U.S. House of Representatives passed a resolution earlier this year condemning his imprisonment and calling for his immediate release. Nearly 3 million people have voiced support for Nadarkhani on Twitter through the "Tweet for Youcef" campaign. (FoxNews)
- Can we say "Hallelujah! Praise the Lord" for His faithfulness in hearing the cries of His people for this servant. Something is fishy here that Pastor Youcef is freed just a few days before Ahmadinejad is to come to the UN to speak. Is there political gain to be attained in the release of Youcef? Nevertheless, the important gain to be remembered is the freedom of Pastor Youcef and his return to the family. Also give thanks to the US Congress for its determination to see Pastor Youcef freed from prison. Praise the Lord!
- "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." (James 4: 7)
2. AHMADINEJAD TO ADDRESS U.N. ON YOM KIPPUR
Western leaders' speeches at General Assembly this year expected to focus on Iranian, Syrian issues. PM Netanyahu to speak day after Iranian president.
A PR duel will be in two and a half weeks during the United Nations General Assembly discussions in New York between Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. The Iranian leader is expected to address the GA on the Jewish holy day of Yom Kippur, while Netanyahu will speak the next day after arriving in the United States.
According to diplomatic sources in New York, the Iranian issue will be at the top of the agenda of the GA's speakers, although there will be no votes during the 10-day assembly. All Western leaders - including German Chancellor Angela Merkel, British Prime Minister David Cameron and French President Francois Holland - are expected to speak. Their presence in New York will pave the way for discussions on the Iranian issue.
US President Barack Obama's address will open the GA on September 25, and the Iranian president's address is expected the next day. Obama will not wait in New York to meet with Netanyahu, especially in light of his pressing election campaign. The window of opportunities for a meeting between the American and Israeli leaders will thus open on September 28 in Washington.
In his address, Obama will be expected to demonstrate his leadership skills on the Iranian and Syrian issues, which will be at the focus of Western leaders' discussions. (Ynetnews.com)
- Please notice the dates given in this article: Yom Kippur - September 26, September 27- Netanyahu speaks to the UN General Assembly, and President Obama speaks at the UN on September 25. Obama will speak with P.M. Netanyahu in Washington on September 28. Please pray that any foolishness out of Ahmadinejad's mouth will cause the attendees at the General Assembly to walk out . Pray any negotiations with the members of the UN are not conspiratorial and that no maneuvers behind the scene are made involving the USA and Israel. Pray that as the Lord sees fit that microphones are left on, unknown to the speaker so any conspiracy is exposed. Pray for wisdom for Mr. Netanyahu as he talks with world leaders.
- "But I will sing of Your power; yes I will sing aloud of Your mercy in the morning; for You have been my defense and refuge in the day of my trouble." (Psalm 59: 16)
3. CANADA CLOSES EMBASSY IN IRAN, EXPELS IRANIAN DIPLOMATS
Canada has suspended diplomatic relations with Iran and is expelling Iranian diplomats from Canada, Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird announced in a statement today. Speaking to reporters in Russia, where he's attending the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-Operation summit, Baird said the government is formally listing Iran today as a state sponsor of terrorism under the Justice for Victims of Terrorism Act. That will theoretically allow Canadians affected by terrorism supported by the Iranian regime to sue.
Later in the day, Baird added Syria to the list of terror-sponsoring states. "Canada is committed to fighting global terrorism and to holding perpetrators of terrorism - and those who provide them support - accountable for their actions," Baird said following a news release that officially added Syria to the list. "Building resilience against terrorism is a priority for our government, and respect for the rule of law prevails in a resilient society," added Public Safety Minister Vic Toews.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu issued a statement congratulating Prime Minister Stephen Harper on the move, calling it a courageous act of leadership. "The determination which Canada demonstrates is extremely important so that the Iranians understand that they cannot continue in their race to achieve nuclear weapons. This practical step must serve as an example to the international community [as regards to] moral standards and international responsibility," Netanyahu said.
- Another Praise the Lord set of news! While Canada is home to many, many Moslems, the number of Shi'ites in Canada is not known. While the United States closed the Iranian Embassy here in Washington after the hostage conflict in the late 1970's, Obama has not closed our embassy in Tehran, thinking that open negotiations will settle the terrorist problem. He seems unable to comprehend that lying will be part of any discussions, and that Iran cannot be trusted. Pray that Canada will not suffer any backlash from its closing of its embassy in Tehran. Also pray that Obama is forced by God's circumstances to close our embassy there.
- "But the Lord is with me as a mighty terrible one; therefore my persecutors shall stumble, and they shall not prevail: they shall be greatly ashamed for they shall not prosper their everlasting confusion shall never be forgotten."(Jeremiah 20: 11)
4. EGYPT SYNAGOGUE TO STAY EMPTY ON YOM KIPPUR
For the first time in years, it appears that Alexandria's ancient Eliyahu Hanavi Synagogue will not open for Rosh Hashana [Jewish New Year, September 16] and Yom Kippur [Day of Atonement, September 26] prayer services. The magnificent building, erected in the 19th century, is considered the last active synagogue in Egypt. According to reports, the Egyptians have decided not to allow the prayer this year for security reasons. The decision was delivered to Rabbi Avraham Dayan, an Israeli of Egyptian descent and the former rabbi of Alexandria, who every year organizes a quorum of volunteers from Israel and other countries to pray at the ancient synagogue on the High Holidays.
Rabbi Dayan told Ynet, "We are trying to organize a quorum, but because of the security-related situation, we're not really succeeding. We are still in touch with the Egyptian security organizations and are trying to make some progress. This year there have been some violent demonstrations in Alexandria, and they're afraid to take responsibility over people."
According to Levana Zamir, president of the Israel-Egypt Friendship Association, "Rabbi Dayan holds a quorum at the synagogue every year. There used to be a quorum of Jewish men in the city in the past, but there are fewer people in recent years so they had to bring some "reinforcement" from Israel.
"The volunteers would stay in Alexandria 10 days, and the flights would be funded by the Joint. I personally supplied Rabbi Dayan with people from the community who were ready to come. It's not that pleasant to leave one's family for 10 days, but there are those who care and were willing to do it."
Zamir believes there is a connection between the new government and the failure to hold a quorum in Alexandria this year. "When they don't want something to take place, they mention security reasons," she claims. "This will be the first time that this synagogue will not host Rosh Hashana prayers, and this means the end of Judaism there.
"The building's architecture is amazing. It was built there instead of a synagogue from the Hellenistic period. A year and a half ago it was supposed to be renovated with American funds, but the process was halted immediately after (former Egyptian President Hosni) Mubarak was toppled. There were restrictions in Mubarak's era as well, but not like this."
According to several reports, there are only one or two Jewish men in Alexandria, and another 15 Jewish widows who married non-Jewish men. In Cairo there are a very small number of Jewish widows, who have also married non-Jewish men. (Bridges for Peace)
- Pray for the safety of the Jewish people living in Egypt. Pray that someday they will be able to worship God in peace anywhere in the world. Pray for honesty from the Moslem Brotherhood as it works to "cleanse" Egypt of Jews.
- "Be exalted, O God, above the heavens, and Your glory above all the earth." (Psalm 108:5)
5. TURKISH OFFICERS TAKE COMMAND OF SYRIAN REBEL BRIGADES. N. ISRAEL ON ALERT
Turkish army officers have assumed direct command of the first two Syrian rebel brigades fighting Bashar Assad's government forces, according to debkafile's exclusive sources. This step has sent military tensions rocketing on Israel's northern borders with Syria and Lebanon in case of a backlash.
The rebel North Liberators Brigade in the Idlib region of northern Syria and the Tawhid Brigade fighting in the Al-Bab area northeast of Aleppo are now taking their operational orders from Turkish officers, who exercise their authority from headquarters outside Syria in the southeastern Turkish city of Gaziantep. Nonetheless, Turkey is considered to have stepped directly into the Syrian conflict marking the onset of foreign intervention. Western and Arab military circles in the Middle East expect Turkey to extend its command to additional rebel units - not all of them part of the Free Syrian Army.
This first step has already caused waves.
* The consequences of Turkish military action in Syria were urgently aired with CIA Director David Petraeus when he arrived in Ankara Monday, Sept. 3, debkafile's intelligence sources reveal. After hearing how and when Ankara proposed to expand its role in the Syrian conflict, Petraeus discussed with Turkish military and intelligence chiefs the likely Syrian, Iranian and Hizballah responses.He then flew to Israel to continue the discussion there.
* By then, US, Turkish and Israeli intelligence watchers were reporting unusual military movements in Syria and on Hizbollah turf in southern Lebanon - suspected of being preparations for a blowback from the Turkish intervention in Syria.
* The IDF countered by placing its units guarding the Syrian and Lebanese borders on a state of alert. Wednesday, Sept. 5, an Iron Dome battery was installed in Gush Dan to head off a potential Hizbollah missile barrage on central Israel and its hub, Tel Aviv.
* Later that day, Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan commented: "The regime in Syria has now become a terrorist state." Only a few of Erdogan's listeners understood he was laying international legal grounding for expanding Turkish military intervention in Syria.
Debkafile's military sources report that Thursday, Sept. 6, military temperatures remained high-to-feverish along Syria's borders with Turkey and Israel, and along Lebanon's borders with Syria and Israel (debkafile.)
- Praise the Lord for temporarily drawing Turkish forces into the Syrian conflict, for the Turks will protect Israel from Syria and Hizbollah. Probably there are no humanitarian intentions behind Turkish command but the commands will protect Israel. Turkey, no doubt, is concerned about its own borders and the Syrian refugees spilling into Turkey. Pray for continued wisdom on the part of Israel as it tries to deal with the Syrian uprising and the actions of Hizbollah. Ask the Lord to develop friendly relations between Turkey and Israel.
- "Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved but abides forever. As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds His people from this time forth and forever." (Psalm 125: 1,2)
6. APEC SUMMIT: CLINTON SAYS US WANTS BETTER RUSSIA TRADE TIES
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has said that the US administration wants to normalize trade relations with Russia this month. She said the government was working closely with the US Congress to get the necessary legislation passed. Mrs. Clinton was speaking ahead of the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation (Apec) summit in Vladivostok. Russian President Vladimir Putin has urged a fight against protectionism to turn the global economy around. And Chinese President Hu Jintao promised his country would try to help the world's economy by increasing the demand in China for imported goods.
Although Russia is now a member of the World Trade Organization, there is still a piece of legislation that prevents US companies trading normally with Russia. With Hillary Clinton promising action this month, are we finally seeing the death throes of the 1974 Jackson-Vanik amendment, which suspended, remains in place.? Introduced in 1974 to put economic pressure on the Soviet Union, so as to encourage the communist leadership to allow Jewish people to emigrate, it somehow remains on the American statute book. Since Russia's citizens are now free to leave any time, and as the country has just joined the World Trade Organisation, it seems to many in Moscow to be perverse that the Jackson-Vanik amendment remains. But some US congressmen do not want to repeal Jackson-Vanik without introducing a new piece of legislation to keep up the pressure on Russia to improve human rights. Many of them favor the Magnitsky Act, named after a young Russian lawyer who died in prison in suspicious circumstances. The Magnitsky Act would create a list of Russian officials who are banned from the United States on human rights grounds.
President Obama's administration - which has been trying to improve relations with Russia - is against the Magnitsky Act. Mrs.Clinton added: "To make sure our companies get to compete here in Russia, we are working closely with the United States Congress to terminate the application to Jackson-Vanik to Russia and grant Russia permanent normalized trade relations. We hope that the Congress will act on this important piece of legislation this month." However, because of concerns in the US Congress about Moscow's support for Iran and Syria, as well as its broader human rights record, the timing of a vote on the issue remains unclear.
Mr Putin, who is hosting the summit, expressed concern about the world economy, and particularly Europe's debt crisis. "The priority goal is to fight protectionism in all its forms. It is important to build bridges not walls," he said. President Hu said: "The world economy today is recovering slowly, and there are still some destabilizing factors and uncertainties. the underlying impact of the international financial crisis is far from over. ((BBCNews)
-This move is typical of the Obama administration, thinking that negotiations will solve all problems. Our nation has learned from our enemies that force and fear work well to make them quell their desires. Chinese TV, not translated onto our TV, reveals that China is in an economic fall. Please pray that the USA does not yield to Russia's attempt to improve its economy. Neither Russia nor China can be trusted. We need God's wisdom in dealing with these two nations. Ask the Lord to seal Mrs. Clinton's lips at the summit.
- "These things I have spoken unto you, that in Me you might have peace. In the world you shall have tribulation, but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."(John 16: 33)
Paster Yousef RELEASED
Our Prayers Have Been Answered
Paster Yousef RELEASED:
Apostasy Charge Withdrawn
Pastor Yousef Reunited with His Family
Dear friends: it is with great joy that we tell you that Pastor Yousef was released from prison earlier today and reunited with his family! He has been in prison since 2009, with a guilty verdict of apostasy since 2011. This is the first time he has seen his sons in 3 years.
Oh brothers and sisters, rejoice with us. Your prayers and ours have been answered! This is good news not merely for Pastor Yousef, but for all Christians in Iran. While Christians are certainly persecuted in Iran, Pastor Yousef's case was one of the ominous signs that the Iranian authorities were contemplating a major purge of Christians.
Pastor Yousef's release is a clear and encouraging sign that there are still lines that the Iranian authorities will not cross, and we rejoice for the reprieve and the continued growth of the Gospel in that land. Please continue to be in prayer for Pastor Yousef and his family, as they must decide whether they will remain in Iran or flee the countryl. While I am sure that Pastor Yousef would prefer to stay with his flock, the high profile nature of this case may put him, his family, and his church in extreme danger as long as they stay in Iran. Pray that God would grant him wisdom.
And even as we rejoice for Pastor Yousef's release, we remember the many other Christians imprisoned and facing torture and extrajudicial execution in Iran. Please continue to be in prayer for them
In HIS Grace and Peace,
Jubilee Campaign USA
9689-C Main Street
Fairfax, Virginia 22031
On the Hill/In the Nation
On Capitol Hill This Week Volume XIX, Number 22b
On the Hill/In the Nation
- JOBLESS RATE FALLS TO 8.1%; JOB GROWTH REMAINS WEAK
- GOP LEADERS' STATEMENT ON AUGUST JOBS REPORT
- GAO: OBAMA BYPASSED CONGRESS ON WORK/WELFARE REVISION
- U.N. TRIGGERS PLAN B ON GLOBAL GUN CONTROL
- NY STATE POLICE CONCERNED ABOUT AERIAL ATTACKS
- SECURITY INCREASED FOR JEWISH HIGH HOLY DAYS
- FBI INSTALLING $1 BILLION FACE RECOGNITION SYSTEM ACROSS U.S.
1. JOBLESS RATE FALLS TO 8.1%; JOB GROWTH REMAINS WEAK
U.S. employers added 96,000 jobs last month, a weak figure that could slow any momentum President Barack Obama hoped to gain from his speech to the Democratic National Convention. The unemployment rate fell to 8.1 percent from 8.3 percent in July, but only because more people gave up looking for work. The government only counts people as unemployed if they are actively searching.
The Labor Department also says 41,000 fewer jobs were created in July and June than first estimated. The economy has added just 139,000 jobs a month since the beginning of the year, below 2011's average of 153,000. (Times 24/7) Read more.
- Father, we stand before you in repentance for the many sins of America. We repent for not honoring you in the public life of our country and in our courts. We ask your mercy in making the leadership of this country compliant with plans that would free up companies and individuals to be able to conduct business in a way that will produce prosperity. Lord, we ask, in the strong name of Jesus, that You would tear down those impediments. Also, please make provision for those of Your people who are looking to You for day to day needs. Thank You, Lord Jesus.
- "The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will." (Proverbs 21:1)
2. GOP LEADERS' STATEMENT ON AUGUST JOBS REPORT
House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (CA-22) released the following statement regarding this morning's employment report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
"This morning's dismal jobs report arrives on the heels of a historic milestone achieved earlier this week by President Obama and Washington Democrats - the national debt has now surpassed $16 trillion. From the President's failed stimulus to the more than $1 trillion government takeover of our healthcare system, the President's economic policies have failed miserably. Worse, these very same policies have put our nation $5.4 trillion deeper into debt in just under four years. This week marks the 43rd consecutive month of unemployment above 8 percent, and the President and Democrats all across the country believe the best path forward is to continue down the same unsustainable course we're already on. It's well past time for this Administration to scrap their failed policies and join with House Republicans to put America on a better path forward and get Americans back to work . . ." (Christian Coalition of America) Read more.
- Give thanks that, in our nation, we still have a two-party system, with one party often holding the other accountable for their policies and their actions. The number of unemployed in our nation is now a disaster, and is growing worse by the day. Cry out to God and ask Him to grant His wisdom to "all those in authority" that they might undo the mistakes of past years, and move our nation's economy into a healthy, strong position. Pray for a miracle. Pray!
- "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you." (Psalm 32:8)
3. GAO: OBAMA ADMINISTRATION BYPASSED CONGRESS ON WORK/WELFARE REVISION
An analysis released Tuesday by the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) states that the Obama administration illegally made unilateral changes to welfare requirements earlier this year which should have been submitted to Congress for approval. On July 12, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services issued a memo to states explaining how they could waive work requirements for welfare recipients under the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program.
However, Hatch made his views of the administration's actions clear. "Despite the Obama administration's attempts to unilaterally undo welfare work requirements, this analysis is unequivocal that any changes must be submitted to Congress," he said. "Circumventing Congress, as this White House has done, is a flagrant abuse of our system of checks and balances and an insult to American taxpayers. Work requirements were a critical part of the landmark 1996 Welfare Reform law and should not be scrapped by the Obama administration." And Camp concurred. "Work requirements were the centerpiece of welfare reform, and we cannot allow that progress to be undone," he said. (CitizenLink) Read More.
- "The wicked plots against the just, and gnashes at him with his teeth. The Lord laughs at him, for He sees his day is coming." (Psalm37: 12,13)
4. U.N. TRIGGERS PLAN B ON GLOBAL GUN CONTROL
'What's at stake is the entire fate of firearms in America'
Americans who thought the United Nations' gun-grabbing agenda collapsed with the adjournment of the Small Arms Treaty meetings in July are in for a surprise. Enter the U.N. Programme Against Small Arms, an administrative program that National Association for Gun Rights Executive Vice President Dudley Brown says wouldn't require a vote in Congress to be enacted, but has so far flown under the radar of most gun-rights groups.
A U.N. conference called the "Second United Nations Conference to Review Progress Made in the Implementation of the Programme of Action to Prevent, Combat and Eradicate the Illicit Trade in Small Arms and Light Weapons in All Its Aspects) that concluded this past week drafted a 2012 report that says the body maintains its commitment eliminate small arms trade, despite the July setback. (WorldNetDaily) Please read more.
Brown says the U.N. gun ban is difficult to stop. "This fight, however, is on such a massive scale," Brown said in a statement, "with so many moving targets and on so many fronts, that it has been a virtual course in adapting tactics to fit the battle. . . When this fight with the U.N. first surfaced," Brown said, "the institutional gun lobby dismissed the threat as paranoia, but we knew the U.N.'s agenda put the United States' freedoms squarely in their sights." Brown also says that the U.N.'s target is nothing less than complete control of all guns and ammunition. - The Second Amendment to the Constitution grants Americans the right to bear arms. We cannot allow the UN to demolish our amendments. Please pray against this move by the UN, for it sounds like part of the One World government. Take away firearms, and citizens are reduced to servitude. Pray against the any approval of this initiative by either Congress or the Obama administration for this resolution before the UN. No more!
- "Blessings are on the head of the righteous, but violence covers the mouth of the wicked." (Proverbs 10: 6)
5. NY STATE POLICE CONCERNED ABOUT AERIAL ATTACKS
Foiled terrorist plots in the United States and Spain have New York State law enforcement officials advising people to be wary of anyone with an unusual interest in remote-controlled planes or extreme sports like sky diving, hang gliding and paragliding. An unclassified report from the New York State Intelligence Center viewed by the Investigative Project on Terrorism pointed to recent arrests in Spain and in Massachusetts in terror plots involving aerial attacks.
In July, Massachusetts resident Rezwan Ferdaus pleaded guilty to charges connected to a plot to fly an explosive-laden remote-controlled plane into the Pentagon and U.S. Capitol.
"Terrorists and extremists are thinking outside of the box and could use either of these tactics as a method for delivering or detonating explosives, especially at a crowded gathering" like a sporting event or a concert, the New York State advisory said. A remote-controlled plane can carry 20 lbs. of material while a paraglider theoretically could navigate with more than 175 lbs. of explosives, which would make steering difficult. (IPT) Read more.
- Our Mighty God, we ask that as the anniversary of 9/11 comes around again, that you would make the civil authorities more alert than ever to suspicious actions that would indicate a planned attack. We ask that You would give them supernatural wisdom to discern when danger is near and that the public would know and report activity that is of a terrorist nature. Father, we ask that You would deliver us from evil planned by wicked men.
- "Though hand join in hand, the wicked shall not be unpunished: but the seed of the righteous shall be delivered." (Proverbs 11:21)
6. SECURITY INCREASED FOR JEWISH HIGH HOLY DAYS
Rosh Hashanah : Sept 16 - 18
Yom Kippur : Sept 25 - 26
These are known as the Jewish High Holidays and are important to note as Jews worldwide will be gathering en mass for holiday celebrations and worship, including here in the U.S.. As history has shown, such soft targets do attract attacks by all manner of extremists. As such, the DHS and law enforcement agencies nationwide have been working with Jewish community leaders to ensure proper security enhancements are in place.
Additionally, the Israeli Prime Minister's Counterterrorism Bureau has issued an advisory warning Israeli's worldwide of the threat and need to take appropriate precautions to boost their security awareness over the coming holidays. (Threat Journal)
- Pray for the safety and the Lord's protection on the synagogues throughout the world. Maybe there's a synagogue in your neighborhood. If so, visit it and pray over the grounds and set a spiritual barrier around the synagogue and the people who will be inside worshipping. Ask the Lord to make Himself known to the worshippers and let them know His presence.
-"Thou art my hiding place: Thou shall preserve me from trouble; Thou shall encompass me about with songs of deliverance." (Psalm 32: 7)
7. FBI INSTALLING $1 BILLION FACE RECOGNITION SYSTEM ACROSS U.S.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation has reached a milestone in the development of their Next Generation Identification (NGI) program and is now implementing the intelligence database in unidentified locales across the country, New Scientist reports in an article this week. The FBI first outlined the project back in 2005, explaining to the Justice Department in an August 2006 document that their new system will eventually serve as an upgrade to the current Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System (IAFIS) that keeps track of citizens with criminal records across America.
With the latest report suggesting the NGI program is now a reality in America, though, it might be too late to try and keep the FBI from interfering with seemingly every aspect of life in the US, both private and public. As of July 18, 2012, the FBI reports, "The NGI program . . . is on scope, on schedule, on cost, and 60 percent deployed." (IPT) Read more.
- Heavenly Father, we thank you for Your hand in the affairs of men who put their faith in You as their Advocate, Deliverer, Redeemer and Friend. We ask that You give wisdom to those responsible for the safety and welfare of this nation. We ask You to place natural restraints upon any who would attempt to abuse the authority granted by this technological leap in surveillance.
- "First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and all who are in high positions, so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and dignity. This is right and is acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." (1 Timothy 2:1-4 NRSV)
At the White House/Pentagon
At the White House/Pentagon
- KRAUTHAMMER ON OBAMA'S ACCEPTANCE SPEECH
- DEMOCRAT DELEGATES SAY "NO" TO GOD, JERUSALEM THREE TIMES!
- OBAMA SUFFERS AMNESIA BLAMING BUSH FOR ECONOMY
- OBAMA'S ABORTION CELEBRATION
- FAA OFFICIALS ACCUSED OF PRESSURING STAFF TO VOTE FOR OBAMA
- BOTH CAMPAIGNS HIT THE RESET BUTTON
- THE NEXT PRESIDENT AND THE SUPREME COURT
- OBAMA ISSUES MAJOR "GREEN ENERGY" EXECUTIVE ORDER
- SEAL BOOK BARES YEARLONG LIES ON BIN LADEN RAID
- PENTAGON ESCALATES CASE AGAINST NAVY SEAL AUTHOR
1. KRAUTHAMMER ON OBAMA: "ONE OF THE EMPTIEST SPEECHES I HAVE EVER HEARD"
CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER: I was stunned. This is a man who gave one of the great speeches of our time in 2004, and he gave one of the emptiest speeches I have ever heard on a national stage. Yes, it had cadence, and yes, there were deceptions in it, but that is not what is so striking about it. There was nothing in it. This is a man who believes that government can and should do a lot. There is nothing in here that tells us how he's going to go from today to tomorrow. For any of the so called goals and what government is going to do, what is he going to enact?
At least Romney had a five point plan. What we heard from Obama was a vision. And he pulls numbers out of a hat. 100,000 new math and science teachers. 600,000 more people working in natural gas. Two million more trainees, and he doesn't say how we get from A to B. It's a vision. I have a vision of an America where there is no disease and everybody has a private airplane, but unless I tell you how we get there, I've said nothing. And what is so surprising, is that - all he had left - he can't speak about his record on the economy, and it's not a good one. As we heard, he didn't speak about achievements, the one that's liberals like, ObamaCare, stimulus and etc. . . they're unpopular.
So, at least he would talk about the future, what he's going to to. There was nothing there. I'm amazed that he was -- it was like this is a guy who is the A student in the class turning in a paper clearly a C, and the teacher says, "How could you do this? Why did you mail it in?" I felt the Biden speech was infinitely better, because it was empathic and carried a message, but the Obama speech, I thought was flat and had no content in it. (Real Clear Politics) Read more.
-Lift up the voting public, and ask that the LORD would draw each one to examine the actual facts of what each candidate has promised for the nation, rather than the "filtered" or biased version offered by most media. May each one be granted "eyes to see, ears to hear," and hearts to know and understand the messages being spoken during this campaign.
- "For God will bring every work into judgment, Including every secret thing, Whether good or evil." (Ecclesiastes 12:14)
2. DEMOCRAT DELEGATES SAY "NO" TO GOD, JERUSALEM THREE TIMES!
Floor fight erupts over naming God and declaring Jerusalem the undivided capital of Israel
Democrats are still struggling to come to terms with the brief, but raucous, floor fight that erupted Wednesday at their convention over the restoration of references to God and Jerusalem as Israel's capital to the official platform. Delegates who opposed the move were grumbling about being steamrolled by party leaders. And those party leaders were giving conflicting stories about what actually happened.
The visual from the floor Wednesday afternoon -- of delegates shouting down the convention chairman as he called the vote to restore those references -- is sure to prove ready fodder for Republicans looking to cast Democrats as hostile to religion and/or Israel. Republicans used the scene to emphasis claims that the Democratic party is very "unified." (Christian Coalition of America) Read more.
- Father, we pray for the Democratic party as they refused Your Name three times. Even as Peter also denied You three times, we pray that You will forgive and restore these people to Your family. In the Mighty Name of Jesus, we bind the spirit of deception and antichrist that pervades this arena.
- "Then he began to curse and swear, saying, 'I do not know the Man!' And immediately a rooster crowed."(Matthew 26:74)
3. OBAMA SUFFERS AMNESIA BLAMING BUSH FOR ECONOMY
Democrats pumped subprime mortgage market, triggering banking collapse In the current narrative presented by Democratic Party operatives, the banking industry collapse of September 2008 was caused by tax cuts under George W. Bush and supply-side economics tracing back to the era of Ronald Reagan.
The narrative, however, ignores the personal responsibility Obama and Democratic Party operatives played in creating the subprime mortgage market, beginning with the passage of the Community Reinvestment Act of 1977.
The 2008 banking collapse was triggered by a series of failures in the mortgage-backed securities market resulting from massive defaults in the subprime mortgage market and derivatives supporting the mortgage market that caused Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns to go bankrupt. Financial giants such as Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae, Merrill Lynch and AIG threatened to follow suit, as detailed by the Guardian of London. (World Net Daily) PLEASE read more.
- Lord, we ask for clarity concerning this situation, not for the purpose of assessing blame, but rather to expose the failed policies that have resulted in this fiasco, and make a "course correction" for the better. We again, find ourselves crying out for Your wisdom and direction for all those involved in these financial repercussions, that need to be dealt with. Help them to operate in integrity and to be responsible and accountable to You and to the American people. Amen.
- "Do this in the fear of the Lord, faithfully, with integrity and a blameless heart." (2 Chronicles 19:9)
4. OBAMA'S ABORTION CELEBRATION
Gary Bauer noted that "Another striking example of the Democrats' extremism is how their convention turned into a celebration of abortion. The leaders of Planned Parenthood and NARAL, along with Sandra Fluke, were given prime-time speaking slots. In his acceptance speech, Barack Obama equated abortion with 'health care choices.'" Bauer has prepared a PDF that exposes the overwhelming baby-killing agenda of Barack Obama. See it here.
- Dear Father in Heaven, we repent for the actions of the few when the majority of Americans do not like the abortion agenda. We ask that You would make sure that the public is not fooled by calling the killing of babies by another name to make it sound like a good thing. Father, we ask that You would reveal the cold-heartedness of those who trumpet the cause for "women's reproductive health." Make a show of their hideous plans. Lord, we pray that future generations will be saved because of the turning of the heart of America!
- "And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it." (Colossians 2:15)
5. FAA OFFICIALS ACCUSED OF PRESSURING STAFF TO VOTE FOR OBAMA
A government accountability group is accusing supervisors at the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) of urging the agency's employees to vote for Obama and other Democrats in November. The Washington, D.C.-based Cause of Action, which identifies itself as nonpartisan, said Wednesday that FAA officials at a Seattle office told employees that the agency's funding would be more secure if Obama defeats Mitt Romney to win a second term. The allegation, if true, would be a violation of the Hatch Act, a federal law that prohibits government agencies from getting involved in partisan activities.
Cause of Action Executive Director Daniel Epstein said in a letter to Department of Transportation Inspector General Calvin Scovel that he should investigate the allegations of political pressure being applied to FAA workers. "We write respectfully to request that the Office of Inspector General (OIG) initiate an investigation into Deputy Associate Administrator for Aviation Safety John Hickey and Deputy Director of Flight Standards Field Operations Ray Towles," Epstein wrote. "We have been informed that during mandatory meetings of Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) employees, Mr. Hickey and Mr. Towles encouraged employees to vote for Democratic politicians in upcoming elections, explaining their jobs may very well depend on a Democratic victory." (The Hill) Read more.
- Pray against this illegal action by officials in the FAA. Officials such as these need to be fired from the FAA and given a course in citizenship and civics. Pray that FAA employees will listen to their consciences and not be threatened by their employers.
- "Let them be confounded and put to shame that seek after my soul; let them be turned back and brought to confusion that devise my hurt." (Psalm 35: 4)
6. BOTH CAMPAIGNS HIT THE RESET BUTTON
The Obama and Romney campaigns will renew their pushes to secure the handful of swing states that will help decide the 2012 election on Friday. After two weeks of conventions, the campaigns return to the gritty retail politics that, in addition to the debates, will define the final 60 days leading up to the Nov. 6 election. By most projections, Wisconsin, Michigan, Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Iowa, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New Hampshire will determine the outcome of the election.
Obama won all of those states in 2008 and will need to hold on to about half if he's to secure reelection. Neither campaign is slated to spend any time outside of these battleground states in the coming days. Obama, and Biden will visit Iowa on Friday, a state the campaign has focused on vigorously in recent weeks. It will be the president's fifth trip to Iowa since mid-August, when he spent three consecutive days in the Hawkeye State.
The Obama campaign then moves on to New Hampshire, where it will cross paths with Mitt Romney and his wife, Ann, who also have public events scheduled in the Granite State on Friday. Obama campaign manager Jim Messina dodged when asked by The Hill whether Obama will see a bounce in the polls after the convention.
"This race has been stable for a very long time," he said. "But we continue to have the advantage of more pathways to 270 electoral votes." (The Hill) Read more.
- Father we ask that You open the hearts of those who are hard hearted. We ask that You open the eyes of those who do not see. We ask that You cause those who do not understand to have wisdom. You are the Redeemer. You are the only One who can restore justice and righteousness to our land. You are the only One who can make the blind to see. You are the only One who can soften hearts. Only You can make our crooked paths straight as families, as a nation, and with righteous leaders. Help us choose wisely those that are called and placed in leadership of our country in the next two months.
- "Yet even now," declares the Lord, "return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning;and rend your hearts and not your garments." Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love; and he relents over disaster, Who knows whether he will not turn and relent . . ." (Joel 2:12-14)
7. THE NEXT PRESIDENT AND THE SUPREME COURT
(An excerpt by Andrew C. McCarthy for the National Review Online) Read more.
Justice Scalia just turned 78, Justice Kennedy will turn 78 later this year, Justice Breyer will be 76 in August, and Justice Ginsburg turned 81 about a week ago. We wish them all well, of course, but the brute fact is that whoever we elect as president in November is almost certainly going to choose at least one and maybe more new members of the Supreme Court - in addition to hundreds of other life-tenured federal judges, all of whom will be making momentous decisions about our lives for decades to come.
- Father God, we ask that You set in motion whatever needs to happen so that we citizens of the United States will once again, as at the first, have appointed judges and counselors who will judge the people with righteous judgment according to Your Word.
- "You shall appoint judges and officers for yourself in all your gates which Jehovah your God gives you, tribe by tribe. And they shall judge the people with righteous judgment." (Deuteronomy 16:18)
"And I will restore your judges as at first, and your counselors as at the beginning; afterwards you shall be called the city of righteousness, the faithful city." (Isaiah 1:26)
8. OBAMA ISSUES MAJOR "GREEN ENERGY" EXECUTIVE ORDER
. . . Little attention has been given to an executive order issued last Thursday by President Barack Obama that targets industrial "efficiency" and carbon emissions. "Today, we are taking another step to strengthen American manufacturing by boosting energy efficiency for businesses across the nation," said President Obama. "This action will cut costs, increase efficiency, and help our businesses create strong, middle class jobs. We'll continue to do everything we can to put more people back to work and build an economy that lasts," he added.
The order, which aims to increase the number of cogeneration plants in the U.S. by 50 percent by 2020 and slash carbon emissions by 150 million tons per year, is the administration's latest effort to "deploy cleaner and more efficient energy production in the country by working around political resistance to climate change and 'green' energy legislation on Capitol Hill," Reuters reports.
"The Federal Government has limited but important authorities to overcome, and our efforts to support investment in industrial energy efficiency and CHP [Combined heat and power] should involve coordinated engagement with a broad set of stakeholders," the order says.
Translation: If duly elected representatives of the people get in the way of "climate change" (formerly known as "global warming," formerly known as "global cooling") legislation, work around them. (The Blaze) Read more.
- Who needs the Constitution when you can rule by Executive Order? Can you see that the executive branch is now pretty much spinning out of control, and is doing whatever it pleases? Bind the spirit of lawlessness, and loose the spirit of a "sound mind" over all matters governing our people in this hour.
- "I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." (Matthew 18:18)
9. SEAL BOOK BARES YEARLONG LIES ON BIN LADEN RAID
A former U.S. Navy SEAL commando who took part in the daring raid to kill Osama bin Laden has exposed as false part of the account put out by the Obama administration on how the al Qaeda leader died. The former SEAL, writing under the pseudonym Mark Owen, stated in his new book No Easy Day that bin Laden was not killed by SEALs inside his bedroom as he stood near an AK-47 assault rifle and pistol. Instead, bin Laden was fatally shot in the head by a SEAL advancing up a stairway to the third floor in his Abbottabad, Pakistan, house, after bin Laden had looked out of the doorway of his room some 10 feet away. Several minutes later, SEALs entered the room and found what was determined to be bin Laden convulsing in death throes. He was then finished off by two SEALs, including Owen, who fired numerous shots into his chest.
Asked about the discrepancies between the White House version of events and Owen's account, White House National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor would not say why the White House did not put out a correct record of events for the raid. But Vietor did say, repeating what he earlier had told Associated Press, that "as President Obama said on the night that justice was brought to Osama bin Laden, 'We give thanks for the men who carried out this operation, for they exemplify the professionalism, patriotism, and unparalleled courage of those who serve our country.'" "We don't have additional comment," he told the Free Beacon.
A senior administration official said: "We stand by our account of what happened." Pentagon spokesman George Little said Tuesday "we continue to review our options" regarding legal action. On the book's contents, "We do have concerns about some of the sensitive information that we believe is contained in it," Little said, noting, "This is a very serious concern that we have." (The Washington Free Beacon) Read more.
- O Lord, You are the Spirit of Truth, and You desire truth to be made known. We thank You for this open discussion regarding the assassination of Osama bin Laden, between this Navy seal author, who was physically present, and the government's official account. We do ask that the "secret things be revealed" and that the truth will prevail. We ask You to shine Your light on the situation, and unmask any deception. We ask You to protect this man from physical attack, and give him wisdom as to how he should respond to criticism of his book, and his account of the operation. We ask for true justice, Lord. In Your Name we ask this prayer, amen.
- "Behold, You desire truth in the inner being; make me therefore to know wisdom in my inmost heart." (Psalm 51:6)
10. PENTAGON ESCALATES CASE AGAINST NAVY SEAL AUTHOR
The Pentagon has released new details about a secrecy agreement signed by a former Navy SEAL who wrote a book about his role in the raid that killed Osama bin Laden, escalating its argument that the commando violated promises not to disclose classified information. While declining to release the non-disclosure document signed by Matt Bissonnette, who used the pseudonym Mark Owen, a Defense Department spokesman shared with Reuters a secrecy agreement he said was identical to it. Lt. Col. Todd Breasseale said Bissonnette violated his pledge simply by sharing the original manuscript of the book, "No Easy Day," with his publisher and a lawyer outside of government.
. . . The Pentagon on Tuesday for the first time said that the book, now at the top of Amazon's best-seller list, does contain classified information, without being more specific. It has announced it is considering legal action against the former SEAL. "Through 'Mr. Owen's' own statements, he has already disclosed material at least to his attorney and his publisher - without prepublication review (purportedly in an effort to ascertain whether the text contained any classified information)," Breasseale said in the email.
Dutton said the review by the "former special operations attorney" concluded the contents of "No Easy Day" were "without risk to national security." The publisher has not released further details regarding who reviewed the manuscript. (Newsmax) Read more.
[We are offering two prayer requests for this brave Seal, below.]
- Father God, we ask that You would make clear to our country what is really going on in this situation. We ask that this brave Navy Seal be honored for his very special service to our country and that he would suffer no loss of credibility for writing his book just because it reflects poorly on the powers that be. Lord, only You, in Your omniscience can separate truth from intimidation. Thank You, Lord, for our freedom of speech and help our country to remain free of lies, but also free of exposure of military secrets.
- "Do not despise this small beginning, for the eyes of the Lord rejoice to see the work begin, to see the plumbline in the hand of Zerubbabel. For these seven lamps represent the eyes of the Lord that see everywhere around the world." (Zechariah 4:10) The Living Bible
- Lord, it appears that this Navy Seal (retired) was careful to avoid violating his agreement with the Pentagon not to disclose classified information. We applaud his bravery in his attempt to give an accurate account of what actually happened when they apprehended bin Laden, and still remain true to his secrecy agreements with our government. Lord, we thank You that You are our Advocate and legal counsel, and we ask for Your wisdom to be granted to this author and his attorneys as well as to the Pentagon and their legal department. We ask for the truth to be revealed, and for Your protection of that truth. In the name of Yeshua, Who is the Truth, amen.
- "He is the Rock, His work is perfect, for all His ways are law and justice. A God of faithfulness without breach or deviation, just and right is He." (Deuteronomy 32:4)
September 11: A Day of Prayer
MILLIONS TURNING 9/11 INTO DAY OF PRAYER FOR FUTURE
'Cry Out America' events scheduled in thousands of cities, towns
While the dust of the collapsed towers still floated over New York on and after 9/11, church pews were filled with those stunned by the vulnerability uncovered in America, but it seemed when the dust cleared so did the pews.
That, decided a network of prominent leaders from a broad coalition of evangelical, Pentecostal and charismatic ministries, didn't bode well for the nation.
And under the banner of Cry Out America, they've been working to alert people that at a minimum, the nation needs to pay attention to the message that could be coming from day of the death and destruction.
And the message is not that America no longer is a Christian nation, or that Christian employers are going to be required by the government to violate their faith and pay for abortifacients, or that the problem is those who cling to their Bibles, all developments from just the last few years.
"I think most Christians in America have awakened to ask the question, 'What happened to my country?'" Billy Wilson, executive director of the International Center for Spiritual Renewal, Empowered21 and The Awakening America Alliance, told WND.
"Somehow the church has lost her influence, and the only way to regain that is to increase our connection to God personally. I would say intimately with a relationship with Jesus Christ," he said.
The Cry Out events are simply a joining of the faithful for a moment of united, public pray for awakening and revival across America. The date picked for the prayer gathering is Sept. 11, the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks by radical Muslim terrorists who killed almost 3,000 people on that morning under clear blue skies over New York and Washington.
Officials said more than 1,700 churches and ministries are poised to hold prayer events in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. There are more than 900 coordinators in counties across the nation and this year's assemblies are expected easily to exceed last year's official 2,531 prayer events.
More than 2.5 million are expected.
Wilson said the 9/11 attacks shook the nation to the core, because "we saw the collapse of things we thought were certain, of things we thought would never fall and we saw an invasion of darkness and fear in our nation that we had never experienced.
"Some days I wake up and ask myself, 'How in the world did America get in this shape? How did we become this dark in my generation?' I believe that it can change but it can only change if the people of God unite in prayer."
Wilson told WND that the answers won't come from the White House, the Congress house or the courthouse, but from the house of God and the houses of Christians.
"I, now more than ever, am convinced the destiny of the nation is in the hands of the church," he said. "And if we respond right, that future destiny can be wonderful. We can see America continue and restored to be a light shining on the hill.
"If the church does not respond right, we will continue to wonder where America went."
He said God can save, repair and restore, but a Christian's responsibility is to "be an upright citizen and bring godly principles to every sphere, which includes voting righteously and voting godly values, purity, righteousness, mercy and love and compassion." (WorldNetDaily) Read more.
CONSTITUTION DAY IS NEXT MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 17TH
Constitution Day commemorates the formation and signing of the U.S. Constitution by thirty-nine brave men on September 17, 1787, recognizing all who, are born in the U.S. or by naturalization, have become citizens.
On September 17, 1787, the delegates to the Constitutional Convention met for the last time to sign the document they had created. We encourage all Americans to observe this important day in our nation's history by attending local events in your area. Celebrate Constitution Day through activities, learning, parades and demonstrations of our Love for the United State of America and the Blessings of Freedom Our Founding Fathers secured for us.
To find out about Constitution Day Events and to see a listing of the names of our Founding Fathers, go here.
- This year, please pause and give thanks for our United States Constitution. Though some now in authority may wish to pretend that this document has no value, it is still, nevertheless, the law of the land. Our Constitution was written to insure our rights as a free people and cannot be abrogated by man. Come against the spirit of lawlessness that would move to deconstruct this treasured document, and loose the spirit of grace, peace, supplication and law over our land. Pray, too, that this week, teachers all across our nation will take the time to help our youth to study our founding document. Pray!
- "If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?" (Psalm 11:3)
This Week, Worship Our Lord As . . .
This Week, Worship Our Lord As . . .
(Eh-lo-hay Khawl Na-kha-mah))
"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort." (2 Corinthians 1:3)
What a comfort to know You, the God of all comfort. No matter what my afflictions, Your comfort is greater. Thank You that in the midst of a storm, You are my peace, my Shalom, oh God of all comfort. Amen.
"I will give thanks to the Lord because of his righteousness; I will sing the praises of the name of the Lord Most High." (Psalm 7:17)
(Taken from: Intimate Moments with the Hebrew Names of God, by Barri Cae Malin and Shmuel Wolkenfeld; Bridge-Logos Publishers; Gainesville, FL, 32614. ISBN: 0-88270-801-5)